• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once I get my PS3 hooked back up, I think I'm gonna try a Joe/Deadpool/Nova team. Or some team that contains Joe and Nova, I guess. I really like the dude.

i was pretty salty yesterday. i had no real counterpick options against this guy using chrisg's team (akuma/morrigan/doom). i guess i could have tried taskmaster/sentinel/hawkeye, but i was too stubborn to change teams.

shaowebb

Vergil with Iron Fist is actually pretty sweet. That rising dragon assist can be worked into combos pretty easily to setup spiral swords stuff and Vergil assists can control enough of the screen to start pressure with Iron Fist. Plus general rising dragon assist screen control with a guy like Vergil is just BS to deal with anyways.

Tobe

Getting a bit tired of Marvel,

Give me a TvC2 with Mahvel 3 mechanics, and Spencer with Dante (preferably DMC 2 costume and demeanor)

anybody else is just cherry on my cake.
Also I hope they can balance karas good this time, in CGH he was godlike and in UAS he was ass.

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/330214515

Great breakdown by Ultradavid of the Yipes vs ChrisG set at Summer Jam.

The smart stuff, the adaptations, the mind games, the movement, the defense, the quick thinking, the mix ups... this is Marvel to me.

LOOK AT THOSE GOD DAMN BACK WAVE DASHES!!!!
Clockwork vs. Neo FT15 was my first time ever seeing high level MvC2 play. My jaw dropped at the superjumps they were doing pre-matches. I tried for a month to do them that fast and couldn't, hahaha.

Dahbomb

Man even the pre-match wave dashes were hype. I remember RayRay and Fanatiq doing similar exercises before their matches and I got hyped. I also think they do it to psyche the opponent out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man even the pre-match wave dashes were hype. I remember RayRay and Fanatiq doing similar exercises before their matches and I got hyped. I also think they do it to psyche the opponent out.
I think before Yipes and Chris G's set (I think?) there was no video but there was audio of the button check, and basically they kept wavedashing at eachother until one person fucked up.

Button checks can be weirdly cool to watch at times.

This is how you psyche an opponent out IMO

HTBlN.jpg

So good he doesn't even button check during button check

Azure J

Getting a bit tired of Marvel,

Give me a TvC2 with Mahvel 3 mechanics, and Spencer with Dante (preferably DMC 2 costume and demeanor)

anybody else is just cherry on my cake.

Any "Niitsuma" styled Vs fighter that gives me access to any combination of Megaman & Dante (prior to MVC3, Hsien would be mentioned here as well...) with enough interesting mechanics or characters (both in playstyle and company history) is a winner. I need my Megs/Bess Sparda Son/CASHEW (Casshern) team though, especially if the latter has Friender or Lyuze assists. Shoutouts to Toonami GAF.

Clockwork vs. Neo FT15 was my first time ever seeing high level MvC2 play. My jaw dropped at the superjumps they were doing pre-matches. I tried for a month to do them that fast and couldn't, hahaha.

Clock Vs. Neo is both the reason why I got on the Marvel hype train and backed Strider so hard going into Ultimate. Needless to say, best decisions ever.

Zissou

Does anyone have a strong opinion for the best doom assist to support dante? I normally run doom first, backed up by weasel shot and vajra, but when I have dante in the first slot for match-up reasons etc., I'm at a bit of a loss.

I've always run plasma beam, but now I'm kind of questioning that. It scales the hell out of combos if you confirm off of it- so maybe rocks would work better for teleport mix-ups and lock down? It is nice to have the crazy durability of the beam to help win zoning wars, and it can occasionally combo break you out of getting killed because he appears behind your point character. Hmm...

Darksim

Does anyone have a strong opinion for the best doom assist to support dante? I normally run doom first, backed up by weasel shot and vajra, but when I have dante in the first slot for match-up reasons etc., I'm at a bit of a loss.

I've always run plasma beam, but now I'm kind of questioning that. It scales the hell out of combos if you confirm off of it- so maybe rocks would work better for teleport mix-ups and lock down? It is nice to have the crazy durability of the beam to help win zoning wars, and it can occasionally combo break you out of getting killed because he appears behind your point character. Hmm...

Beam is better. Missiles are great but you already have Vajra. Teleport + Beam is documented bullshit, I suggest you enjoy the scaled hits you get from Plasma Beam, because I don't think you'll be getting them very much with rocks.

The protection it provides might actually be the best thing about the assist, once called you can be really reckless without much worry at all.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Feel like shit atm.

Biggest problem with my marvel game is that I'm autopiloting way too much atm...fuck my life. Feels like I'm in a mental slump. Got two weeks to snap out of it before next major. (note: I play mostly offline vs people in my marvel scene)

If anyone has helpful tips post away.

Darksim

Can't Phoenix just block the spiral swords after transformation?

Yes

Which means she gets to sit there and block Vergil for the next 30 marvel seconds, which is the entire point. I just showed those as examples of what to do if the Phoenix player attempts to press buttons after transforming.

Yes

Which means she gets to sit there and block Vergil for the next 30 marvel seconds, which is the entire point. I just showed those as examples of what to do if the Phoenix player attempts to press buttons after transforming.

There's also the fact that most Phoenix players save X-Factor for Dark Phoenix and can easily X-Factor cancel through any of Vergil's attacks and just kill him. I'm not saying it's not useful. It's a really cool tactic, but it looks pretty situational. It's not a guareented kill.

Darksim

There's also the fact that most Phoenix players save X-Factor for Dark Phoenix and can easily X-Factor cancel through any of Vergil's attacks and just kill him. I'm not saying it's not useful. It's a really cool tactic, but it looks pretty situational. It's not a guareented kill.

But she can't guard cancel her way out of swords without using meter, which she has none of after going dark. It's relatively easy to down exchange a few times or just reset the assist character on her team until death to build as much meter as possible, from which point you keep her in swords, throw round trip, call your assist to cover you and take your left/right/grab mixup. The only possible thing that she could guard cancel effectively would be Rapid Slash before you cancel into swords, but that can also be a risk by switching between canceling the 3rd hit or the 5th hit into swords. If she tries to guard cancel the 3rd hit and you let it go for all 5 hits, she just wasted her x-factor.

If you have enough meter to waste you can just chip her until she's forced to use x-factor to avoid being chipped out and proceed to not care at all.

You can also have your own x-factor in the event you do do something that can be guard canceled, but you really don't have too.

Darksim

When other characters are at point blank upon activation I know multiple swords make contact at once, I would believe its 3 at a time. I would imagine that stinger pushes Vergil close enough that this would happen. It probably wouldn't be a very useful self 50/50 even if it's possible, because getting pushblocked at all would probably make it not work.

I have noticed that the swords rotate in the same orientation regardless of what side or whatever action Vergil does. I've noticed before after teleporting behind them at point blank with swords active that one sword will connect and suddenly the gap created from the initial set of swords that made contact made it's way to the other side of Vergil, which makes them have to switch their block (not that it's hard to do that or anything).

I still kind of doubt that anyone other than Vergil players themselves will be able to know when to guard cancel it for a while though.

Frantic

When other characters are at point blank upon activation I know multiple swords make contact at once, I would believe its 3 at a time. I would imagine that stinger pushes Vergil close enough that this would happen. It probably wouldn't be a very useful self 50/50 even if it's possible, because getting pushblocked at all would probably make it not work.

I have noticed that the swords rotate in the same orientation regardless of what side or whatever action Vergil does. I've noticed before after teleporting behind them at point blank with swords active that one sword will connect and suddenly the gap created from the initial set of swords that made contact made it's way to the other side of Vergil, which makes them have to switch their block (not that it's hard to do that or anything).

I still kind of doubt that anyone other than Vergil players themselves will be able to know when to guard cancel it for a while though.
You're right in that point blank does take away some of the swords. However, I've actually had the swords 'disappear' during a teleport until Vergil reappears on the other side, causing a crossup, and this was from full screen. I've only had it happen when playing as Vergil twice, and had it happen against me once, but it's like half-way through the super. I've never really been able to replicate it in training mode, so it's probably some random 1 frame chance thing.

As for the last thing, I figured it out after I dropped Vergil, funnily enough. It was against an XF3 Vergil with swords out and was chipping me out, so I decided to XFC into a snapback, but my brain autopiloted to a cr.L and it worked. Sure it made me look really pro, instead of just stupid. From there, I just did some testing in training mode to figure out what caused it. It's pretty situational like I said, but against the derpy Vergils who don't actually have solid blockstrings in swords it's pretty good.

Actually...

[/shamelessselfpromotion]
Promote good content shamelessly. Pro players still don't snapback on reaction to guard cancels though, so I doubt we'll see this happen any time soon.

It would be a funny match, though:
Vergil activates Spiral Swords.
Opponent: "A hah, I got you now!" - *XFCs to punish*
Vergil snaps the opponent back.
Opponent's other character comes in and has to block Spiral Swords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom