• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

So Sanford Kelley is going to play this game now huh?

Still think "Women are picking up this game and beating men" is one of my favorite FGC quotes ever I was dying when I saw that video xD

Solune

You have acquired Hidden Missiles.

Oh my god. Megaman: Marvel Edition would be fuckin amazing.

Magneto = Magnetic Shockwave
Wolverine = Weapon X
Nova = Centurion Art or Gravimetric Pulse
Iron Man = Proton Cannon
Captain America = Charging Star with Protoman shield
Shuma Gorath = Chaos Dimension
Spiderman = Ultimate Web Throw

smurfx

get some go again
Oh my god. Megaman: Marvel Edition would be fuckin amazing.

Magneto = Magnetic Shockwave
ibv4bFwVRpYaIY.gif

LakeEarth

Wow @ that Spencer infinite. I can see the Iron Man one getting you props, but hate mail for that one because it SEEMS easy. I'm sure the timing on it is killer though.

Azure J

Nah Ghost Rider would just be a chain that he would use to swing across certain stages. And would suck damage wise.

Keeping with tradition, it would also work best against final Wily.

Q: The Dante solo unblockable/meaty overhead from Grapple right, is the character supposed to be comboed in the crouching position only or it doesn't matter as long as the first hit put them in a crouch stun animation?

I'm in training mode trying to hammer this out and I'm not sure what to look for when getting it consistent.

Dahbomb

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/330320782

Ultrachen cover rivalries and the upcoming UMVC3 Aftershock event that will be an 8v8 Norcal vs Socal Waseda style event in 2 weeks.

Just recovered from hurricane Isaac to catch up on the news and I just saw this. The video is worth watching for the player breakdown and their "pop offs" during the trailer.

The trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANU3eACgO8Y

I lol'd at "CJ Showstopper was put in for morale... the team knows that they will be playing 7 v 8 so they will all work harder!" - FChamp

Dahbomb

My picks for Socal 8 (Justin is apparently banned cuz he is EC):

Combofiend
Fanatiq
Infrit
Knives
KillerKai
Viscant
Clockwork
Richard Nguyen

Apparently San Diego counts as Socal. If not then add RoyalFlush I guess instead of Schneider.

Anth0ny

man fuck magneto combos

I'm trying to do the h loop. It's like this, right:

crouching lmhs h dash m fly lh dash h dash h dash h...

I can not confirm the l after the fly for the life of me :mad:

Vice

My picks for Socal 8 (Justin is apparently banned cuz he is EC):

Combofiend
Fanatiq
Infrit
Knives
KillerKai
Viscant
Clockwork
Richard Nguyen

Apparently San Diego counts as Socal. If not then add RoyalFlush I guess instead of Schneider.

Huh? Its always been SoCal.

Dahbomb

Huh? Its always been SoCal.
San Diego people like Viscant/DiosX don't like being associated or being clumped into one region like that. That's not my opinion, I am just reflecting the debate that was on UltraChen. There was some debate over the grey areas of Norcal and Socal especially when Fanatiq, Knives and Neo were brought up.

Vice

San Diego people like Viscant/DiosX don't like being associated or being clumped into one region like that. That's not my opinion, I am just reflecting the debate that was on UltraChen. There was some debate over the grey areas of Norcal and Socal especially when Fanatiq, Knives and Neo were brought up.

Almost no one likes to rep CenCal though so the split is usually Bakersfield and south = SoCal. Fresno and North = Norcal.

Getting lumped in with SoCal usually makes people think of LA so it's understandable that people in SD get upset since there's a huge gap, physically and culturally, between the cities so players rep their home town more than their region when closer to their home town.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
man fuck magneto combos

I'm trying to do the h loop. It's like this, right:

crouching lmhs h dash m fly lh dash h dash h dash h...

I can not confirm the l after the fly for the life of me :mad:
Something about the Dash into M then Fly doesn't seem right. I thought H's always preceded flight mode because of the larger hitstun they give allowing for the confirm afterwards?

Disclaimer: I don't play Mags.

Zissou

Something about the Dash into M then Fly doesn't seem right. I thought H's always preceded flight mode because of the larger hitstun they give allowing for the confirm afterwards?

Disclaimer: I don't play Mags.

The M puts you at a better height relative to your opponent for continuing the combo after you've activated flight, I believe.

Azure J

The best feeling in the world is landing your first Magnus fly combo. A tip though anthony, add a M after the L in flight mode to get them up into prime MagSlap range.

On that note, I need MagBlast videos to practice with. I can't ROM to save my life, but I have a good understanding of the initial parts of blast loops down. Just need to see where and how to extract more damage solo and where assists file in.

GGs Frantic. Really nice adjustment with the Air Plays and assist calls. Got opened up by offscreen voltage way too much, haha.

As you can probably tell, I have no idea how to fight good Striders outside of XFC. VAJRA IS SAFE I SWEAR T_T I need to improve my chicken block~punishes. Probably why some characters get away with nonsense against me too. I just don't feel like I have the range or "sharpness" (if that makes sense) on my normals to punish accordingly. They don't feel disjointed enough, the closest thing is girlie's knuckle-knives.

Was in love with the buttons today. I couldn't stop pressing 'em.

Frantic

GGs, Sasa. All I can say is... I drop a TON of shit(I need to get used to Clay Pigeon on your characters, since the timing seems different on all of them for some reason) and it always, always bites me in the ass. I don't even want to remember how many games I choked away to XFactor-23, even though I had them on lock but I did something stupid and died for it. You'd think I'd have gotten better at avoiding that, but I only got worse. I was getting sloppy overall in the latter half of that set, too.

I'm also terrible at airthrows, and teching airthrows. I knew so many times you were going for airthrows, but just got jump heavy a frame out of range. That's the story of my life right there. :(

KillaSasa said:
GGs Frantic. Really nice adjustment with the Air Plays and assist calls. Got opened up by offscreen voltage way too much, haha.
That's a staple of my play. Low Voltage is really good for off screen bullshit, just because it's really quiet coming out, especially when Dante is in DT. It just comes out of nowhere and hits people in the face. :p

KillaSasa said:
As you can probably tell, I have no idea how to fight good Striders outside of XFC. VAJRA IS SAFE I SWEAR T_T I need to improve my chicken block~punishes. Probably why some characters get away with nonsense against me too. I just don't feel like I have the range or "sharpness" (if that makes sense) on my normals to punish accordingly. They don't feel disjointed enough, the closest thing is girlie's knuckle-knives.
Just go for a ground throw punish against Vajra. It's the safest thing. though I don't think that works in XF3. I forget the exact frames, but I think it's plus in XF3. Also, if you're pushblocking Dante's Reverb Shock and Fireworks doesn't come out, you can dash up and punish. I got away with that way too much in our set, and I don't like getting away with stuff like that. I need to adjust my Reverb Shock timing, so pushblock doesn't negate it... also need to grind out the timing on whiff, so Fireworks will always come out.

There's so much that I know I can do, never do them. I have a lot of things I never actually go for with Dante and Strider, just because I'm too afraid of getting bopped. I just need to go for it instead of worrying about getting hit. That, and I need to stop autopiloting too much. I almost always go for the same blockstring, even if I really, really shouldn't. :/

Darksim

Just go for a ground throw punish against Vajra. It's the safest thing. though I don't think that works in XF3. I forget the exact frames, but I think it's plus in XF3.

Supposedly it's minus 7 on standing block, according to the guide IIRC. It's a lie. If you don't chicken block you probably need to grab it to punish.

It is quite positive in XF3, following up with either light is true block string. I usually do c.l to catch all the people trying to mash throw.

but if they chicken block it it's still hilariously unsafe shhhhh

Terrible feeling: not being able to punish some things because your characters have limited mobility. My opponents get away with so much crap just because I use Dormammu and Morrigan...

Frantic

I know that feel man. I know it all too well.
It's soul crushing to hear the sound of jumping heavy coming out as you're getting thrown. Soul crushing. I also hate that airthrow ranges are not uniform. Dante's airthrow range is terrible, so getting jump heavy instead of a tech is common. Strider? I throw and tech people I didn't even realize were in range and was just me trying to mash my way to victory.

Strider is also the only character on my main team that I actually feel comfortable with going for airthrows. Whenver I try with Dante, I always whiff and then he's pretty free to anti-air or an airthrow... I should just learn to do j.H > Air Play/Killer Bee after every airthrow attempt like I do with Strider's j.H > Exalibur L/M, but I'm stupid.

Terrible feeling: not being able to punish some things because your characters have limited mobility. My opponents get away with so much crap just because I use Dormammu and Morrigan...
Yeah, I have that issue whenever I try to play characters that have 'weird' movement like Dorm and Morrigan. Iron-Man and Doom give me issues, too. Strange, too, just because I feel like he should have some sort of airdash, but he doesn't.

Another terrible feeling is being hit by something you know is -6 or -7, but being unable to punish because 'lol 8 frame jab'. I know Dorm suffers from that, too.

Dormammu is great at punishing (some) things. Dat chaotic flame
Yeah, but it takes a meter! That's why I fell in love with Dark Harmonizer. I get to punish...everything. And I can afford to sometimes go "I think he might do something - let's throw a Chaotic Flame out there".

How do you think I feel when I try to punish things with Joe's stubby-ass arms? :(
You have an invincible level 1 to burn through stuff, plus the invincible dodge! No complaints for you!

How is the UMvC3 online on PSN? My 360 broke again and I'm thinking of picking up the PS3 version of this game for cheap.
It's the same quality, except most people are wireless, so most connections are worse than the 360 version. If you play wired people, though, I think most people agree that the quality is indiscernible.

For AzureJericho, via a thread on Gaming:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400318261863

Azure J

I'm also terrible at airthrows, and teching airthrows. I knew so many times you were going for airthrows, but just got jump heavy a frame out of range. That's the story of my life right there. :(

Goddamn, you really are me. :lol

I've been getting better at dealing with my demons in this game with counter TACs and frequent air grabs, but it only takes one air grab to connect while I'm praying that I got a tech instead of a j.H for me to go full ape shit. My brother is almost terrified of me outside of the game because of one fit I threw when the animation for j.H didn't start (sound cue did) and he mashed his f.H in the air as Zero and grabbed me from like the full length of the normal away. There was also that one time where Vergil threw out a j.H and managed to just frame grab me right after that animation and I pretty much just said fuck Marvel for a bit... :lol

There's so much that I know I can do, never do them. I have a lot of things I never actually go for with Dante and Strider, just because I'm too afraid of getting bopped. I just need to go for it instead of worrying about getting hit. That, and I need to stop autopiloting too much. I almost always go for the same blockstring, even if I really, really shouldn't. :/

I play so conservatively, you'd second guess yourself when you hear me talk about this game in any attempt at giving advice. For example, I'm playing Viper like it's still Street Fighter because I keep thinking "save meter, save meter, save meter" only to kick myself after matches because I don't use her "FUCK YOU" buttons (EXs) more often. It's such a weirdly hilarious situation. I know what you mean about blockstrings though, I only recently realized how Weasel Shot was to be used but I'm terrified of using it too often lest it become too transparent in my game.

At the same time, hooooly shit, Strider is so much damn fun and continues to get moreso because of all his bullshit blockstrings. Forcing someone to X-Factor because of chip and pressure dealt with H-Form B-H-Shot is amazingly fun.

Supposedly it's minus 7 on standing block, according to the guide IIRC. It's a lie. If you don't chicken block you probably need to grab it to punish.

It is quite positive in XF3, following up with either light is true block string. I usually do c.l to catch all the people trying to mash throw.

but if they chicken block it it's still hilariously unsafe shhhhh

Stop giving away all my "tech"!

Kappa

It's soul crushing to hear the sound of jumping heavy coming out as you're getting thrown. Soul crushing. I also hate that airthrow ranges are not uniform. Dante's airthrow range is terrible, so getting jump heavy instead of a tech is common. Strider? I throw and tech people I didn't even realize were in range and was just me trying to mash my way to victory.

Strider is also the only character on my main team that I actually feel comfortable with going for airthrows. Whenver I try with Dante, I always whiff and then he's pretty free to anti-air or an airthrow... I should just learn to do j.H > Air Play/Killer Bee after every airthrow attempt like I do with Strider's j.H > Exalibur L/M, but I'm stupid.

Yeah, I have that issue whenever I try to play characters that have 'weird' movement like Dorm and Morrigan. Iron-Man and Doom give me issues, too. Strange, too, just because I feel like he should have some sort of airdash, but he doesn't.

Another terrible feeling is being hit by something you know is -6 or -7, but being unable to punish because 'lol 8 frame jab'. I know Dorm suffers from that, too.

Re: Air Grabs

I seriously know that feel bro. At the same time, I feel like my main teams have always had decently strong grab games beyond Dante. Felicia's was dumb as fuck, Amaterasu is Amaterasu and Viper kills off of anything. Strider is Strider with that sleeper tier grab range no one knows about, and with it being the easiest way to get put back in the red scarf vortex, it always has a use in a match.

You also just reminded me that I need to cancel more shit in the air into Air Play instead of Hammer when coming down, so thanks for that. :p

Finally, 8 frame jabs... I think it's because of that why I've actually learned more about footsies, blockstrings and spacing than actually trying to learn them for fighting game's sake. :lol

@Karst: Thanks for the heads up but that deal is done with it seems. :(

I'm working on something though. I wanna play more with you guys ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom