• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He's a lead at Sony Santa Monica, not the Battle Royale team though. I'm sure his role there is closer to his consulting work he did at Capcom.
Yeah I'm not sure if he's quite achieved his actual dream goal, but he's gotten damn close multiple times. Life's about the journey, etc.

He's a lead at Sony Santa Monica, not the Battle Royale team though. I'm sure his role there is closer to his consulting work he did at Capcom.
He said he has a new dream. That must mean a new kind of work.

so here's a question. I've been playing Dante/Firebrand/Task in some form for as long as this game has been out, and after reading all of this stuff about the strength of TACs over resets, it makes me wonder about Firebrand.

Firebrand is supposed to be an amazing reset character. Do you all think his resets are better than going for a TAC? Is the reason why he isn't so ridiculously strong as first thought b/c there are even better, and easier, resets in doing a TAC than doing high/low, etc. stuff with him?
Unblockable resets > all.

You guys Ace Attorney is back with a vengence. Wright is a lawyer again. All is right in the world. (Except AAI2 not being localized)
Grats! I've still never played one.

Lot of faithless people saying AA5 won't get localized but I think they are out of their minds. Hoping for the best though. Iwadare as composer has me hyped.
Especially on a new system.

Anyone in here play Shuma? I've been messing around in training mode with him; He seems like a fun character.
Off and on. I can field questions if you have any.

Is Shuma best used in the middle because of his assist? Or is he better off on point or anchor?
He's best first because he needs assists, builds crazy meter, and has terrible options to DHC to him (but not from him). His assist is more likely something you hope for your second character to make really good use of. You can use him second if it really gives your point character that much of an advantage. You don't want to anchor him, though.

Kellen

He's best first because he needs assists, builds crazy meter, and has terrible options to DHC to him (but not from him). His assist is more likely something you hope for your second character to make really good use of. You can use him second if it really gives your point character that much of an advantage. You don't want to anchor him, though.

I see. Thanks for the feedback.

Hmm...upon reading comments apparently Combofiend got bodied by a Jill/skrull team in Brazil and is claiming Brazil has a lot of new tech. Could be interesting.
What's funny about this is the tech wouldn't be so regional if most of the FGC weren't mindless bandwagoners.

Azure J

What's funny about this is the tech wouldn't be so regional if most of the FGC weren't mindless bandwagoners.

But I like my sword dudes, caped Marvel bosses & smattering of alpha females. :p

Being serious, I'm glad to see people developing other characters still in this game. I want to be surprised in a "huh how does that work" way again like when Combofiend first showed up with Task/She-Hulk/Spencer.

shaowebb

But I like my sword dudes, caped Marvel bosses & smattering of alpha females. :p

Being serious, I'm glad to see people developing other characters still in this game. I want to be surprised in a "huh how does that work" way again like when Combofiend first showed up with Task/She-Hulk/Spencer.

Someday we will see a stacked Arthur team and people can see how damned scary lvl 3 dark Arthur is in a tourney on stream.

That's my team...

I still can't believe a serious Firebrand team hasn't been formed when he has a proven 300% combo. Marvisto is the only person to even use Firebrand and Skrull together, but he never did the setup, and his team was bad.

Someday we will see a stacked Arthur team and people can see how damned scary lvl 3 dark Arthur is in a tourney on stream.
There've been a few of those. Smart players like Fanatiq actually snap him in because they respect what he can do.

Marz

I might purchase the Sony Smash Bros. ripoff just because it looks like it would be something fun to mess around with friends or something......bleh who am I fooling i'm not getting that shit.

Smash is amazing imo (i'm pretty involved in the tournament scene) and if Sony had of just cloned the game us Smash scrubs could have had an interesting side game to sink our teeth into. Don't see how on Earth this game would even begin to be played in a competitive setting though with the stupid super KO setup. Who even thought of that? They even have people from the FGC helping them work on the game and they still manage to fuck it up lol.

Also Karst, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether or not Dr. Strange team(Shuma/Dorm/Strange) is complete ass or if they're ok together. Love playing all these characters so I kind of want to run this team but I know this team has major weaknesses(although i'm ok with that). What order, what assists would you recommend etc.

You should fix that friend!

And yah that's basically my line of thinking too.
My wife is a huge Professor Layton fan. After she finishes those I'm going to buy her an Ace Attorney game so I can indirectly support the series. I generally need something that pushes me to my limits to enjoy myself.

Also Karst, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether or not Dr. Strange team(Shuma/Dorm/Strange) is complete ass or if they're ok together. Love playing all these characters so I kind of want to run this team but I know this team has major weaknesses(although i'm ok with that). What order, what assists would you recommend etc.
I think it's a good team with one problem: there's only one good anchor, and that's Dormammu. But you don't want Dormammu last, because then your second character doesn't have a good assist. You kind of have to be confident enough to win with two characters plus fantastic assists, or be happy burning XF1 or 2 for early kills.

Your team order is really flexible. Shuma/Dorm/Strange (Bolts) is a great combination, but in some matchups you can put Dormammu or Strange on point and run Mystic Ray as your best assist. You may also want to switch assists depending on your point character, but I think that Dark Hole, Mystic Ray, and Bolts of Balthakk are generally your best combination.

shaowebb

There've been a few of those. Smart players like Fanatiq actually snap him in because they respect what he can do.

As they should. That guy can wreck your life up. It was great using Rising Dragon as an assist for him. Throw daggers and pop that and people seem to hop right into the thing and give Arthur the wall bounce off of their airdash getting stuffed. Good zoner with TOD. I was surprised by how useful his shield counter and sword slash could be too. I fully expect someone to build him up a legit team out there and showcase him soon.

As they should. That guy can wreck your life up. It was great using Rising Dragon as an assist for him. Throw daggers and pop that and people seem to hop right into the thing and give Arthur the wall bounce off of their airdash getting stuffed. Good zoner with TOD. I was surprised by how useful his shield counter and sword slash could be too. I fully expect someone to build him up a legit team out there and showcase him soon.
I doubt that will happen. The only top players really experimenting out there with new team concepts are ChrisG and PR Balrog.

Also, Iron Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-thaVZCGCQ4

Zissou

My friend plays the most infuriating Arthur team. He plays Haggar/Frank/Arthur. It's really difficult to land a clean hit on Haggar because lariat shuts down any kind of real offensive pressure, so I have to run away and slowly chip him down, which can take half the match. Whenever I do land a clean hit on him, it's difficult to kill him due to his high health, and he's difficult to reset due to having to constantly worry about lariat. On the other hand, if he lands a clean hit me, which often ends up happening since it's difficult to play perfectly for such a goddam long time, he's likely killing a character and getting lvl4 Frank.

Normally, against an x/Frank/x team, I could blow x-factor and all the meter I wanted to kill the first character, since it's almost a happy birthday 2-for-1 kind of scenario because lvl1 Frank isn't remotely scary. This is a problem with Noel Brown's Wolverine/Frank/Wesker team- his opponent getting the first hit on Wolverine can often mean it's up to dark Wesker to win the match for him (I think the only reason Noel has success with the team is due to how often he lands the first hit because of how strong Wolverine is in the opening gambit). Unfortunately, because my friend's anchor is Arthur, I am never allowed to use x-factor before he does. So high-health-Haggar acts as a meatshield for Frank, and the threat of x-factor level 3 Arthur ensures Haggar can live past my first clean hit into a combo, whereas if he gets a single clean hit, I can essentially be fucked. It's ingenious, but also enraging because he seems to have stumbled upon it mostly by accident.

What teams aren't just the top tier teams involving characters, but also the best team possible for that character?

For instance, Magneto/Dormammu/Doom is probably the best possible Magneto team, but Magneto/Doom/X-23 is probably more top tier. Same with Firebrand, Firebrand/Skrull/Morrigan is far from the best team if you want to play him. Of course, Zero May Cry and Morrigan/Doom/Akuma are super optimized teams that are also incredibly top tier.

I guess what I want to know is, at what point is a dominating gambit worth more than overall synergy?

Just to let you guys know, the Medabot thread was higher than this one. Step it up.

What teams aren't just the top tier teams involving characters, but also the best team possible for that character?

For instance, Magneto/Dormammu/Doom is probably the best possible Magneto team, but Magneto/Doom/X-23 is probably more top tier. Same with Firebrand, Firebrand/Skrull/Morrigan is far from the best team if you want to play him. Of course, Zero May Cry and Morrigan/Doom/Akuma are super optimized teams that are also incredibly top tier.

I guess what I want to know is, at what point is a dominating gambit worth more than overall synergy?

Just to let you guys know, the Medabot thread was higher than this one. Step it up.

i think a team like spencer/wesker/doom (missiles) is one of the best teams for spencer, and consists of upper tier characters. he gets TOD combo extension for unscaled upgrapples from both assists, but missles also works in a pinch to cover his rush.

i think a team like spencer/wesker/doom (missiles) is one of the best teams for spencer, and consists of upper tier characters. he gets TOD combo extension for unscaled upgrapples from both assists, but missles also works in a pinch to cover his rush.

But the weakness to both ziplines and hidden missiles is throws, and plasma beam covers both characters.

I think the best Magneto team we've seen is probably Fanatiq's. It all depends on how confident you are in your main character. I tend to prefer team synergy over "tiers". Any character can win.

My friend plays the most infuriating Arthur team. He plays Haggar/Frank/Arthur. It's really difficult to land a clean hit on Haggar because lariat shuts down any kind of real offensive pressure, so I have to run away and slowly chip him down, which can take half the match. Whenever I do land a clean hit on him, it's difficult to kill him due to his high health, and he's difficult to reset due to having to constantly worry about lariat. On the other hand, if he lands a clean hit me, which often ends up happening since it's difficult to play perfectly for such a goddam long time, he's likely killing a character and getting lvl4 Frank.

Normally, against an x/Frank/x team, I could blow x-factor and all the meter I wanted to kill the first character, since it's almost a happy birthday 2-for-1 kind of scenario because lvl1 Frank isn't remotely scary. This is a problem with Noel Brown's Wolverine/Frank/Wesker team- his opponent getting the first hit on Wolverine can often mean it's up to dark Wesker to win the match for him (I think the only reason Noel has success with the team is due to how often he lands the first hit because of how strong Wolverine is in the opening gambit). Unfortunately, because my friend's anchor is Arthur, I am never allowed to use x-factor before he does. So high-health-Haggar acts as a meatshield for Frank, and the threat of x-factor level 3 Arthur ensures Haggar can live past my first clean hit into a combo, whereas if he gets a single clean hit, I can essentially be fucked. It's ingenious, but also enraging because he seems to have stumbled upon it mostly by accident.
I tend to lose to Haggar just because it takes so goddamn long to chip him down.

I dunno, both DHCs are really good, but I'm not sure Storm/Sentinel is as useful as Dormammu/Doom. Doom missiles are such a malleable tool for Magneto.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man I need to get back into this game. I've been packing for the past few weeks since I moved last week, so I haven't touched this game in a while, but I just watched this fight and it got me all excited to play this game again. Unfortunately I have no idea where I put my fightstick in the new apartment lol.

Maybe because Magneto/Dormammu/Doom is arguably the best Dormammu team. It's not the best Magneto team, though.

MSS is really good, but I don't see it. The missiles + Dark Hole Lockdown is awesome, he gets pulls into the missiles on the way up, awesome OTG combos and the ability to control people anywhere on the screen off which he can convert fully. Plus, I love the EMD xx Shockwave DHC Stalking Flare, Purification assist punish.

Also, anybody else notice that Doom's up hyper is literally a stalking flare, and Dormammu's ball is a sphere flame? Just like how Hakan's grab ultra is called Oil Coaster and the one where he turns himself into a coaster is called combination hold.

LakeEarth

Man I need to get back into this game. I've been packing for the past few weeks since I moved last week, so I haven't touched this game in a while, but I just watched this fight and it got me all excited to play this game again. Unfortunately I have no idea where I put my fightstick in the new apartment lol.

I'm in the same boat, but instead of a lost gamestick, my xbox 360 broke.

Bizazedo

MSS is really good, but I don't see it. The missiles + Dark Hole Lockdown is awesome, he gets pulls into the missiles on the way up, awesome OTG combos and the ability to control people anywhere on the screen off which he can convert fully. Plus, I love the EMD xx Shockwave DHC Stalking Flare, Purification assist punish.

Also, anybody else notice that Doom's up hyper is literally a stalking flare, and Dormammu's ball is a sphere flame? Just like how Hakan's grab ultra is called Oil Coaster and the one where he turns himself into a coaster is called combination hold.

I'd actually agree with Karst just because of how powerful it is to DHC into Storm's Ice Storm hyper while still having drones for lockdown. I am biased, naturally, as it's similar to DHC'ng to Nova's Takedown, but better.

So as a team, MSS is more flexible and can hurt you from both close and far away, which is where your variation is slightly weaker. Monster up close, not s'much from far away.

The amount of times I've seene people chase the mobile Magneto and run into a hailstorm is painful. And yes, I'm sure I'd do the same thing.

So, what teams would a Hulk-centric team counter that would be better to use him over a Zero based team?

Don't get me wrong, GB. Magneto/Dormammu/Doom is a good Magneto team. I just don't think it's the best, and the team is really about Dormammu (you even suggest that Magneto is there to DHC into Dormammu for big assist punishes!). Reminds me of Marn's Zero team.

So, what teams would a Hulk-centric team counter that would be better to use him over a Zero based team?
Hulk pretty much hard counters my team. My lack of neutral assists means that I can't really overpower Sentinel Force, and I can't throw a hyper out there to get breathing room because of Gamma Crush. I think Hulk does really well against Morrigan, personally, though I know that's not a popular opinion. Even when Morrigan has Astral Vision up, she's not safe, because Gamma Charge has armor to rip through the first Soul Fist, and then Hulk cancels into Gamma Charge to avoid the one coming from behind.

Bizazedo

I guess I should elaborate.

Team I am toying with is Hulk / Sentinel / Nova. It's a ridiculous amount of fun, despite my Sentinel sucking hard. That and Dark Nova is hilarious and far superior to Dark Wesker.

So, if I continue with it and make it an actual counterpick team..well, Nova already wrecks Dormammu in an amusing amount of ways, so my normal Zero team is fine. Just trying to figure out who to swap these guys in for.

I guess I should elaborate.

Team I am toying with is Hulk / Sentinel / Nova. It's a ridiculous amount of fun, despite my Sentinel sucking hard. That and Dark Nova is hilarious and far superior to Dark Wesker.

So, if I continue with it and make it an actual counterpick team..well, Nova already wrecks Dormammu in an amusing amount of ways, so my normal Zero team is fine. Just trying to figure out who to swap these guys in for.
Maybe it's best to start by saying: what does your Zero team have trouble with?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
this game ruined my life

iYuoSf0G8Pqm9.gif

Bizazedo

Maybe it's best to start by saying: what does your Zero team have trouble with?

An excellent question.

Let me preface this with I doubt it'll be a viable counterpick for the most part over the Zero team. My initial thought was against buddies I know / people I know who have the annoying habit of, after a knockdown, wake up attacking / stand up S. Playing "dumb" kills me an incredible amount of time.

Armor should fix that.

Other'n that, my biggest problem has always been Taskmaster.

I doubt / know this isn't an answer to a Taskmaster team :). It's more at this point for the previously mentioned "dumb" people and to give a different "look" if that makes sense. I always back up at the beginning of a match with Zero, with Hulk I tend to move forward.

Buut, knowing other combinations of teams that Hulk centric teams have great advantage verus would allow me to have multiple options, so that's the real reason I posted.

And I know you hate fighting Zero, Karst, so if y'ever want me to use a non-zero yell.

An excellent question.

Let me preface this with I doubt it'll be a viable counterpick for the most part over the Zero team. My initial thought was against buddies I know / people I know who have the annoying habit of, after a knockdown, wake up attacking / stand up S. Playing "dumb" kills me an incredible amount of time.

Armor should fix that.

Other'n that, my biggest problem has always been Taskmaster.

I doubt / know this isn't an answer to a Taskmaster team :). It's more at this point for the previously mentioned "dumb" people and to give a different "look" if that makes sense. I always back up at the beginning of a match with Zero, with Hulk I tend to move forward.

Buut, knowing other combinations of teams that Hulk centric teams have great advantage verus would allow me to have multiple options, so that's the real reason I posted.

And I know you hate fighting Zero, Karst, so if y'ever want me to use a non-zero yell.
Haha, I think I hate fighting Hulk more than Zero. With Zero, a lot of the problem is that he's so boring to fight. Lots of superjumping away, and his combos take for goddamn ever to finish. He just ruins the pacing of the match a lot of the time.

Hulk is the opposite. He's right there, and I can't do shit. It's especially irritating because I work really hard with my team to make things happen, and Hulk just has to get one random Gamma Charge in to kill a character. It drives me nuts, I want him to get nerfed. The Dormammu vs. Hulk matchup changed dramatically between Vanilla and Ultimate.

Gamma Charge rocks Taskmaster, by the way.

Bizazedo

Haha, I think I hate fighting Hulk more than Zero. With Zero, a lot of the problem is that he's so boring to fight. Lots of superjumping away, and his combos take for goddamn ever to finish. He just ruins the pacing of the match a lot of the time.

Hulk is the opposite. He's right there, and I can't do shit. It's especially irritating because I work really hard with my team to make things happen, and Hulk just has to get one random Gamma Charge in to kill a character. It drives me nuts, I want him to get nerfed. The Dormammu vs. Hulk matchup changed dramatically between Vanilla and Ultimate.

Gamma Charge rocks Taskmaster, by the way.

Okay, so maybe I will try him versus Tasky, then. I forgot to mention, smart Wolverines who immediately start hopping towards me is also an issue as Zero at the beginning of the match.

If I get away, all good.

When I play Zero I have major problems against: Vergil, Taskmaster, Haggar, Dante. Vergil is annoying because he outranges Zero from every angle. I usually lose to him.

At the beginning of the match you can do H uppercut against a lot of characters. On hit, you can combo if you buster cancel quickly enough. On block you can just buster and make it pretty safe.

Bizazedo

When I play Zero I have major problems against: Vergil, Taskmaster, Haggar, Dante. Vergil is annoying because he outranges Zero from every angle. I usually lose to him.

At the beginning of the match you can do H uppercut against a lot of characters. On hit, you can combo if you buster cancel quickly enough. On block you can just buster and make it pretty safe.

You mean raw S I'm assuming? Yes, you can, but if they chicken block it you can be severely fucked. That being said, I do it a lot :). I can do a ToD off it with my team, amusingly enough, if they're 900k or less life. Without lightning loops.

Wolverine and Taskmaster can stuff this, however, although it works great against Vergil / Dante.

Frantic

You mean raw S I'm assuming? Yes, you can, but if they chicken block it you can be severely fucked. That being said, I do it a lot :). I can do a ToD off it with my team, amusingly enough, if they're 900k or less life. Without lightning loops.

Wolverine and Taskmaster can stuff this, however, although it works great against Vergil / Dante.
I think he's talking about Zero's Ryuenjin. It's actually a really strong starting option. It has 5 frames startup on all three, all of them have a good amount of active frames, it covers ground and air approaches, and can be Buster Canceled to be safe, or to confirm on hit.

There's a video of "Dark Pheonix Lv. 3 X-Factor 4 Million Damage (No Infinite)"

The top comment if pretty funny.

"i really appreciate how pointless this is. nice job."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom