• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

I would seriously play C. Viper if I could do Seismo spam. It would just be so important on my team, and Dark Harmonizer would be nice for her, but I can't seem to do it. I need a "hands" video.

I really want to see you play/play you sometime soon. I feel like I'd learn a lot.

As for a "hands" video...

DP - > TK DP not really much anything else.

Just 623 -> 62369

I get three tops on P1 side and anywhere between 2 - 5 on the P2 side by total fluke. If I could Marlin my way to infinite Seismos, I'd be the happiest motherfucker ever, but right now, I'm working on making my 3 Seismos count. It's like Spirit Gun training. :lol

i think you are right. doh!

ilYXoudPcCeby.gif

:p

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Im free for the majority of today. I've kind of slowed down too because of school and whatnot, so I probably won't be on very often.

This is pretty much the only hope I have for this game.

But still, mobile platforms, yuck.

Alright, I'll sporadically check if I see you on today.

Azure J

I'll try to work something out. Meanwhile, does anyone know about dead body glitches in this game? After a weird chip KO on my brother's Vergil, I was attempting an incoming mixup and crossed the body up as it was crumpling only to get a Twister/Tempest that lifted said body off the ground and built me meter. o_O

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A weird bug happened the other day while playing a set with one of my friends online. I j.gunshot'd his Zero dead when we were in opposite corners of the screen, and then I couldn't dash forward... like, Wesker would go into the animation, but he wouldn't move out of the corner because he was stuck. And then he did random Vergil super coming in, and it hit me. Which makes no sense because you can see me up-back to block it. I'm not sure if the game didn't recognize where I was on screen or if it just crossed me up or something:

http://youtu.be/__MYLwTYvQ8?t=6m57s

Anyone else had this happen before?

I'll try to work something out. Meanwhile, does anyone know about dead body glitches in this game? After a weird chip KO on my brother's Vergil, I was attempting an incoming mixup and crossed the body up as it was crumpling only to get a Twister/Tempest that lifted said body off the ground and built me meter. o_O
I've had dead body stuff happen, but I don't know what causes it. I'll definitely make time to play you if you can make it work out.

A weird bug happened the other day while playing a set with one of my friends online. I j.gunshot'd his Zero dead when we were in opposite corners of the screen, and then I couldn't dash forward... like, Wesker would go into the animation, but he wouldn't move out of the corner because he was stuck. And then he did random Vergil super coming in, and it hit me. Which makes no sense because you can see me up-back to block it. I'm not sure if the game didn't recognize where I was on screen or if it just crossed me up or something:

http://youtu.be/__MYLwTYvQ8?t=6m57s

Anyone else had this happen before?
It might just be that as you dash, the screen is moving forward with you to autocorrect. This happens, for example, when you perform a command grab with Sentinel and try to wavedash after your opponent. It seems like you're not moving at all, but you are. It might have something to do with Zero's death animation being somewhat unique (can Magneto use his dead body pull trick on a dead Zero?). Dimension Slash randomly crosses up a la Phantom Dance. (well, not as random)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It might just be that as you dash, the screen is moving forward with you to autocorrect. This happens, for example, when you perform a command grab with Sentinel and try to wavedash after your opponent. It seems like you're not moving at all, but you are. It might have something to do with Zero's death animation being somewhat unique (can Magneto use his dead body pull trick on a dead Zero?). Dimension Slash randomly crosses up a la Phantom Dance. (well, not as random)

Hmm, maybe you're right. Do you have a video by any chance of the Sentinel command grab into wavedash (of course I've seen it before, but I don't think I've ever noticed the camera autocorrecting)?

The thing is, in this scenario, I should have had a free incoming mix-up on Vergil. There's no reason why the screen would autocorrect. Wesker goes into two clear dashes and doesn't really move forward at all. I figured that Dimensional Slash could have crossed up, but I thought it less likely with me chicken blocking in the corner.

Hmm, maybe you're right. Do you have a video by any chance of the Sentinel command grab into wavedash (of course I've seen it before, but I don't think I've ever noticed the camera autocorrecting)?

The thing is, in this scenario, I should have had a free incoming mix-up on Vergil. There's no reason why the screen would autocorrect. Wesker goes into two clear dashes and doesn't really move forward at all.
Your screen does move forward though, I double checked. I don't have a video of the Sentinel command grab situation, but it happens every time. Just go into training mode with Sentinel, dp.H, and wavedash forward.

Web throw combos are only hype because they're the only combo where you keep telling lies over and over again.

See ya later xx continue immediately

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Your screen does move forward though, I double checked. I don't have a video of the Sentinel command grab situation, but it happens every time. Just go into training mode with Sentinel, dp.H, and wavedash forward.

Hm, he does move forward a little, but when Wesker rolls back into the corner after getting hit by Dimensional Slash, it doesn't look like two full dash distances away. Unless I'm missing something, that leads me to believe that he was stuck and it wasn't a camera issue. He's not even covering foreground distance. I'll test out the Sentinel command grab thing, but I didn't think it looked that obvious.

EDIT: Oh wow, you're totally right. It's pretty much the same thing. But in the context of the Sentinel grab it makes sense because your opposing character is flying across the screen at the same time, carrying the screen with him. In the video, Zero just died, so it's something weird with Zero's death animation? Or maybe he was doing a teleport while dying?

Hm, he does move forward a little, but when Wesker rolls back into the corner after getting hit by Dimensional Slash, it doesn't look like two full dash distances away. Unless I'm missing something, that leads me to believe that he was stuck and it wasn't a camera issue. He's not even covering foreground distance. I'll test out the Sentinel command grab thing, but I didn't think it looked that obvious.

EDIT: Oh wow, you're totally right. It's pretty much the same thing. But in the context of the Sentinel grab it makes sense because your opposing character is flying across the screen at the same time, carrying the screen with him. In the video, Zero just died, so it's something weird with Zero's death animation? Or maybe he was doing a teleport while dying?
My uneducated guess is Zero's death animation. If someone could test whether you can do Magneto's body corpse pull to Zero, it would be good evidence for or against the hypothesis.

They're really really boring and tedious to watch. Its like I'm watching SFxT or something.

They really are boring. Seen one, seen em all. More interested in utility combos, silly resets, and weird assist play. There's a lot crazier stuff in this game than "let's see how many web throws we can fit in now." More power to 'em but they get meh after a while :3 Feel the same about Dante combos, lots of "GET BACK" and "UUUUURRRRRRRAHHHHHHHHH" (aka Sky Dance). More variation in those though.

More stuff like Wesker Must Die should come out. That was def one of the better ones I've seen for a bunch of characters.

Let's not say things we can't take back though. SFxT comparison is a little much.

Frantic

Most boring combos in this game, for me, are Vergil's. Same loop over and over and over until character is dead.

Dante combos are pretty boring after seeing them for so long, which is why I try to do subtle variations for every combo I do. He's got a lot of different options(especially with Vajra), so I try to do all of them at some point.

mr. puppy

Banned
Most boring combos in this game, for me, are Vergil's. Same loop over and over and over until character is dead.

Dante combos are pretty boring after seeing them for so long, which is why I try to do subtle variations for every combo I do. He's got a lot of different options(especially with Vajra), so I try to do all of them at some point.

Vergil has like 25 super moves that nobody has even bothered to fuck around with, there might be something awesome there.

This is my fav combo video btw": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MmM_rQRGWo

Dahbomb

There are a lot of subtle variations to the Spiral Swords loops.

But yeah Vergil's combos unlike Dante's are more about getting the job done than looking stylish. The Vergil swag combos are all almost entirely meter hog type combos.

There is still lots of unexplored technology within Blistering Swords the most important identified application of it is that Vergil gains his only real instant overhead move during it. That and tick throws/frame traps.

Vergil has like 25 super moves that nobody has even bothered to fuck around with, there might be something awesome there.
Um there are only 2 moves of Vergil that aren't used in combos and those are Blistering and Storm Swords. People have used those moves in combos but remember... just using those formations is a 2 meter cost. There is almost no situation or combo that I can think of where using a unique formation like those is better off than using 2 reps of Spiral Swords, at least not yet. Those other formations are more for utility than combos.

Quite frankly speaking Vergil being a TOD character really holds him back. There is a lot of potential in his resets and mix ups from okis and set ups but in most situations he can either outright kill a character or just TAC into another character. This is a 2 fold problem to Vergil's character that makes him very ho-hum at high level play. The fact that he has to actually worry about whiffing moves also makes his playstyle very controlled in the hands of an expert (not talking about random scrub Vergil play #101) which further homogenizes his playstyle. A good Vergil player can't go "nuts" like some other characters can.

Frantic

There are a lot of subtle variations to the Spiral Swords loops.

But yeah Vergil's combos unlike Dante's are more about getting the job done than looking stylish. The Vergil swag combos are all almost entirely meter hog type combos.
I know there are subtle variations to Spiral Sword loops(I think there's four in total? I haven't really been keeping up with what sort of loops he can get. I always go for Lunar Phase for maximum damage, and Helm Breaker for when Lunar Phase will whiff), but after the Spiral Swords, it's more or less the same round trip loop, and it's tiring to watch. Kind of like Zero's combos. Admittedly, it's pretty in keeping with DMC3. Vergil's moveset was more "here's what you have. Get it done", while Dante's was "here's six styles and ten weapons. Go nuts."

I will say that Vergil's swag combos are cool looking, but you would never realistically do them in a real match(although when I play Vergil, I definitely try). I will say the s.H > Blistering Sword > s.H > Blistering Sword loops is pretty cool looking, even if it is impossible to actually use in a match.

Azure J

Enzo's in the Maple Syrup Factory stream chat talking about color synergy and now I have to talk about why Viper/Dante/Strider was always top tier even if I'm only putting in the work with them now:

zsns5.jpg
AB3Q5.jpg
86WOC.jpg

Or whenever I decide to buy the rest of the alts:

Q0Mey.jpg
1H2wc.jpg
isU4Q.jpg

Probably the reason why I loved Solune's combo videos (I'd never seen or even thought of Upper Slash/Judgement Cut loops before I saw your stuff man) versus every other Vergil video.

Also, I know what you mean about Dante man. :lol

After learning my max damage optimal stuff with him and my team, I started experimenting with resets and combos off awkward confirms just because I wanted something more flashy for myself. :p

Stinger + Vajra - Reverb - Cold Shower - Prop Shredder - Hammer - Cold Shower - Stinger - Grapple = You pretty much lost that character, especially now that I learned the unblockable meaty. (Protip: j.M is the better button for it.)

Frantic

Stinger + Vajra - Reverb - Cold Shower - Prop Shredder - Hammer - Cold Shower - Stinger - Grapple = You pretty much lost that character, especially now that I learned the unblockable meaty. (Protip: j.M is the better button for it.)
You can actually do a Volcano instead of Cold Shower and go into shot loops from there. Does slightly more damage/meter than the Cold Shower version. I guess if you're going into a grapple reset, there's not much reason for it, but hey, damage is damage. :p

Also, j.M is a much better button than j.H in general as far as hitbox goes. It just doesn't have the hitsun that j.H has, which is rather unfortunate for air to airs. Also can't derp out an OS with it.

Dahbomb

I will say that Vergil's swag combos are cool looking, but you would never realistically do them in a real match(although when I play Vergil, I definitely try). I will say the s.H > Blistering Sword > s.H > Blistering Sword loops is pretty cool looking, even if it is impossible to actually use in a match.
That's why they call them swag combos. It's Vergil's "snap back" combos when you wanna style on someone and stamp your authority over them.

Truth be told anytime you have 3 bars and your goal isn't to go into Dark Angel after the initial hit... then you are working WAY WAY too hard to kill someone.

Azure J

You can actually do a Volcano instead of Cold Shower and go into shot loops from there. Does slightly more damage/meter than the Cold Shower version. I guess if you're going into a grapple reset, there's not much reason for it, but hey, damage is damage. :p

I'm deathly afraid of hitstun decay in this game which is why most times when I'm trying new things, I go with what I know will allow the next attack to chain properly. There's nothing more terrifying than comboing then all of a sudden, like the shift is over, you see the character being comboed just flip out like "lol hai gaiz". Going to look into the Volcano version though since meter has become a bit more important a resource to me. (Hello Devil Trigger resets)

Also, j.M is a much better button than j.H in general as far as hitbox goes. It just doesn't have the hitsun that j.H has, which is rather unfortunate for air to airs. Also can't derp out an OS with it.

I always wondered which of the two were better, but this is the first time I've had it answered like that. I should have guessed though since j.M stays active for a deceptively long amount of time and the amount of space it occupies is pretty impressive. As for air to airs, I like playing "airsies" with it where I fish out a hit then go into the modified Clay Pidgeon loop starter (j.M - j.H - Air Play - j.H - s.S - etc.). Only issue is remembering to cancel it into Air Play if nothing gets touched and j.H on confirm.

Dahbomb

I was looking through my youtube videos and I bumped into the Finger Cramp "day 1" UMVC3 character impression and ratings.

Vergil and Nemesis were both given the same score of 8/10. I lol'd. Actually I vividly remember loling at it back then too.

I'm up for matches if anyone wants to in a bit. I'd want to mess around with a variety of teams just for shits and giggles. Looking to play for at least 4 hours straight.

Wasn't there a poll on the new characters done for gaffers? I'm sure that's a hoot to look at now.
I want to say that Enzo put it together. I'd be curious how I ranked all the characters now that it has been a while.

Dahbomb

Mine was fairly accurate outside of Frank West because I basically said before rating that the character is too much of a wild card so I am going to rate him second worst with worst being PW by default.

The rest I would say I got fairly decent, Ghost Rider is the one that I probably rated a bit high.

And it was Shaowebb who did the poll.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm up for matches if anyone wants to in a bit. I'd want to mess around with a variety of teams just for shits and giggles. Looking to play for at least 4 hours straight.

I want to say that Enzo put it together. I'd be curious how I ranked all the characters now that it has been a while.

Shaowebb made it for a statistics class.

shaowebb

Mine was fairly accurate outside of Frank West because I basically said before rating that the character is too much of a wild card so I am going to rate him second worst with worst being PW by default.

The rest I would say I got fairly decent, Ghost Rider is the one that I probably rated a bit high.

And it was Shaowebb who did the poll.

Shaowebb made it for a statistics class.

To which I got awesome scores. :)
Glad everyone liked the survey as much as I did.
Its actually usable in my resume for analyst skills if I need it, but it doesn't really make since in an artists resume to start throwing around more of a producer thing. I'll save it till I have an opportunity within a studio to put in for a bigger role someday I guess.

It'd be kind of fun to setup a generator for the data someday to automatically generate those charts instead of having to read the data and draw them by hand. Much easier to get a feel for characters using those kind of box and whisker plots to show the average opinion and the extreme high and low opinions of them. This accounts for outlier opinions and instead of just ranking folks as 1st 2nd 3rd etc it gives you their viability range. If someone's box is small then everyone is pretty certain of their worth, but if the box is big they may move up or down a tier if new tech is found. Lets you know who to hit the lab with and who may be under utilized doing this sometimes.

ONGV8.jpg

Things are beautiful for tier surveys and they even show outlier ranges in case of guys like me obsessing over Iron Fist. We had a Phoenix Wright number one outlier and by normal "average them up and dats your answer" survey rules it would have completely screwed the results.

If I ever get something like this setup for the whole roster I'll link you guys to the survey site so you can get your instant results and view the up to date current result page via hotlink to see how folks change tier votes. My brother in-law is a coder...maybe I can contract him to set this up sometime.

WTF is with your connection GB?

Also, you got perfected by Hsien-ko. Even if the match is underwater, I just wanted to brag about that. ;-)

WTF is with your connection GB?

Also, you got perfected by Hsien-ko. Even if the match is underwater, I just wanted to brag about that. ;-)

Did you get the message that I was on the phone? I wasn't even playing, just moving around with one hand.

My dorm internet sucks. I'm wired into my pc which is on wireless god knows how many floors from the access point ^_^

shaowebb

Just went back and checked our thoughts on that poll and found this from myself.

Also Ghost Rider and Hawkeye show the same tier median meaning they should rank about the same, but Ghost Rider has a larger tier range and a higher extreme on his voters list than Hawkeye which implies folks are less certain he will remain viable compared to Hawkeye. When stuff like that shows up expect somebody to jump around a lot after matchups and events.

Math is beautiful :)

I definitely need to hitup my brother in law after graduation and see if he can do this and workout a design document for stuff across various games to poll. If it turns out he can code this it would be awesome to setup a "vote once a week" site so that folks can checkout the statistics generated off of players sometime. If I could get Shoryuken to link it to their site so that only their members could use it that would also eliminate spammers and trolls while insuring a high seed population of real players to get input from. If I had a testable product it'd probably pitch well to them and help the community some.

Also Hsien Ko Perfect in Lag? Who was Beard playing as?
Did you get the message that I was on the phone? I wasn't even playing, just moving around with one hand.

My dorm internet sucks. I'm wired into my pc which is on wireless god knows how many floors from the access point ^_^

Well that explains that.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
For Iron Man players, especially anchorman I'm really thinking THC Proton Cannon is one of the tools this character has that can actually make people respect his space. Comes out instantly and covers a huge area like a massive DP. The tricky part is coming up with a way to do a mixup after it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For Iron Man players, especially anchorman I'm really thinking THC Proton Cannon is one of the tools this character has that can actually make people respect his space. Comes out instantly and covers a huge area like a massive DP. The tricky part is coming up with a way to do a mixup after it.
It's decent, but not as good as Ammy/Dante, etc.

I've yet to make it work with Nova properly, but usually you can't get much after it anyways. The THC is more of a little trick you keep up your sleeve than something reliable, cause it can still be beat out if the super flash proton cannon hit is blocked. Not really reliable enough because of that and the fact that you get less time for the mix up than you do with the aforementioned characters IMO. Effectiveness will vary based upon what your other character(s) supers are.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
It's decent, but not as good as Ammy/Dante, etc.

I've yet to make it work with Nova properly, but usually you can't get much after it anyways. The THC is more of a little trick you keep up your sleeve than something reliable, cause it can still be beat out if the super flash proton cannon hit is blocked. Not really reliable enough because of that and the fact that you get less time for the mix up than you do with the aforementioned characters IMO. Effectiveness will vary based upon what your other character(s) supers are.

I agree. I've lost matches because I've become way too reliant on it. However against something like a Strider or Dormammu teleport, it will beat it and give you a bit of damage.

When doing Repulsor Blast xx Spread footsies...Spread is not safe at most ranges. Buffering spread with QCF H and looking for counter pokes to beat out with Proton Cannon.

I've been thinking about how to make anchorman viable..and I think its really going to depend on loading him up with meter (by his TAC infinite) and then killing someone off a Unibeam or Repulsor Blast by cancelling into Iron Avenger, then doing a double dash, L Smart Bomb OTG, c.M, S, into a larger combo that builds meter and damage so you can finish them off with Proton Cannon. There's an alternate bnb that's pretty bad new Iron Man players like to use (the only bnb worth using is the Krispy Kreme for countless reasons) but I think it would work well here. Its a c.M, S confirm with airdashes and such in it.

Iron Man's got a lot of glaring weaknesses, his bad ground mobility and the lack of easy tools. He has problems opening people up when they figure out they can up back you for days. He doesn't have an easy to use crossup (addf j.S crosses up but the timing is extremely tricky, much easier in XFL3 though) and ADF j.M (which is character specific). His incoming character mixups are hard to perform well. Air Smart Bombs are supposed to control space below him, but are hard to use practically.

I'd like to believe this character is viable on anchor, but its a ton of work. Its no secret he isn't very good (at all), but I still like to think he's viable in the back.

It seemed like the first couple matches were fine, too. I was so happy ;_;
I just kept playing to be polite. They were all bad. :p

I got the message after you got perfected. ;-)

Thanks for the matches, Karsticles. Once again, I am humbled. I'm also incredibly happy about my 3 fluke wins, but that's another thing altogether.

I don't know what's going on with the connection between us, though. I didn't notice much lag after the first 10 matches or so from my end, but I guess you were picking some up. I'm using a wired connection, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that's up, so I don't know what could be the problem. Then again, I don't even know what a bad internet setup would look like for broadband gaming.

Would a connection like this be good enough for playing over long distances or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom