• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the matches, Karsticles. Once again, I am humbled. I'm also incredibly happy about my 3 fluke wins, but that's another thing altogether.

I don't know what's going on with the connection between us, though. I didn't notice much lag after the first 10 matches or so from my end, but I guess you were picking some up. I'm using a wired connection, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that's up, so I don't know what could be the problem. Then again, I don't even know what a bad internet setup would look like for broadband gaming.

Would a connection like this be good enough for playing over long distances or not?
GGs Louse. You might just be used to it, but there's definitely delay. No clue if it's just a distance thing or what. Where are you playing from?

It's funny how terrible my Firebrand is after not using him for so long. I was mega embarrassed at messing up all my setups. I only got it right once. -_-

And my Vergil is just ridiculously bad. Thankfully, once I got to the 3 bar mark it just felt like I could scrub it up with constant Spiral Swords to make up for that, lol.

Oh I sent it before any matches started. I just chose some random dudes. unless you thought I had some crazy plan with anchor storm.
I'm just messing with you.

GGs Louse. You might just be used to it, but there's definitely delay. No clue if it's just a distance thing or what. Where are you playing from?

It's funny how terrible my Firebrand is after not using him for so long. I was mega embarrassed at messing up all my setups. I only got it right once. -_-

Yeah, I'm probably just used to the delay. I'm in South Florida, near the tail-end of the state.

I actually noticed that you were having some trouble with Firebrand's unblockable setups at first. When you'd setup the snapback loop with Skrull's Tenderizer assist, I'd take the hit so that I'd drop out earlier; and when I did so, sometimes you'd miss the link and just swing at thin air. You didn't seem to have any problems going for it with Dark Hole, though.

I'm still reeling from that one match you closed out with Morrigan; you managed to link
Darkness Illusion after a DHC from Chaotic Flame after I activated Vale of Mist with Ammy. I did not see that one coming.

This was news to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1nm_IUC2QU

Yeah, I'm probably just used to the delay. I'm in South Florida, near the tail-end of the state.
For some reason Florida is just the worst state in the USA for online it seems...

I actually noticed that you were having some trouble with Firebrand's unblockable setups at first. When you'd setup the snapback loop with Skrull's Tenderizer assist, I'd take the hit so that I'd drop out earlier; and when I did so, sometimes you'd miss the link and just swing at thin air. You didn't seem to have any problems going for it with Dark Hole, though.
Oh, I was messing up the Tenderizer unblockable because it was my first time playing that team. So I was trying to learn on the fly. Same with the Deadpool team.

Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan was my launch team, though, so I'm much better at doing it with Dark Hole.

I'm still reeling from that one match you closed out with Morrigan; you managed to link
Darkness Illusion after a DHC from Chaotic Flame after I activated Vale of Mist with Ammy. I did not see that one coming.
I love doing that, but I don't have a lot of opportunities where it's useful. 4 meters is a lot even for my team, and that's a lot of utility I'm throwing away. I'll only do it if the character is a total pain in the ass (Vergil, Dante, Zero, etc.) or it's the last one. I generally prefer to burn X-Factor for a Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame instead.

Yeah, it looks cool though, and as Morrigan is flying along at her super slow pace you'd never know that it works!

Tobe

Would a connection like this be good enough for playing over long distances or not?

i live with this shit, so stop man, just stop, it hurts. :(
2166725765.png

i live with this shit, so stop man, just stop, it hurts. :(
2166725765.png

Sorry! I just had to make sure. I had a 3 MB connection until 4 months ago, so I know where you're coming from. I'll just make do with what I have.

Oh, I was messing up the Tenderizer unblockable because it was my first time playing that team. So I was trying to learn on the fly. Same with the Deadpool team.

Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan was my launch team, though, so I'm much better at doing it with Dark Hole.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I was trying out some stuff of my own myself. Tonight was my first attempt at using She-Hulk, and she's surprisingly fun to use. I picked Clothesline as an assist by accident, but I got some decent stuff out of it anyway. I really need to give her a decent shot in training mode.

I love doing that, but I don't have a lot of opportunities where it's useful. 4 meters is a lot even for my team, and that's a lot of utility I'm throwing away. I'll only do it if the character is a total pain in the ass (Vergil, Dante, Zero, etc.) or it's the last one. I generally prefer to burn X-Factor for a Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame instead.

Yeah, it looks cool though, and as Morrigan is flying along at her super slow pace you'd never know that it works!

It's damned stylish, and it was one of many instances in which you punished my panicked Mist hypers. I learned the hard way that I can't use it as a crutch anymore; getting buzzed with a sun goddess can help or hurt, depending on the situation.

Solune

Enzo's in the Maple Syrup Factory stream chat talking about color synergy and now I have to talk about why Viper/Dante/Strider was always top tier even if I'm only putting in the work with them now:
I always go for a color scheme no matter what team im using. Your team can also go all red too etc. pretty damn versatile in the aesthetic dept.
Probably the reason why I loved Solune's combo videos (I'd never seen or even thought of Upper Slash/Judgement Cut loops before I saw your stuff man) versus every other Vergil video.
Thanks! At least I know someone got entertainment out of it. I can't really take credit for S. Upper Slash loops though. That's Day -1 technology since I watched Isedelica and Dnyce way way back. People have stopped doing it thought for some reason. Probably because it's not as reliable as c.H since the character weight effects the loop as well.
Also, I know what you mean about Dante man. :lol

After learning my max damage optimal stuff with him and my team, I started experimenting with resets and combos off awkward confirms just because I wanted something more flashy for myself. :p

I'm surprised people get bored of the twins combos more than say, Wesker combos or Spencer combos. Although I'm still waiting for that Maximum Wesker vol. 3

Alright. I decided that I want my Vergil to stop being ass, so I went into training mode. After an hour of practice, I did the Yipes combo off of Rapid Slash, and can do one round of Spiral Swords loops. For some reason my opponent keeps falling too far away for a second pick-up.

What's the difference between doing the following after Rapid Slash into Spiral Swords:
MH, f.H, teleport, H
H, f.H, teleport, H, f.H
H, f.H, teleport, H

It seems like I can pull them all off. Is one more consistent than the others? It's hard to tell whether variations are due to my lack of experience or the choices I'm making.

Sorry! I just had to make sure. I had a 3 MB connection until 4 months ago, so I know where you're coming from. I'll just make do with what I have.
My parents were still on dial-up when I was in high school. KILLER.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I was trying out some stuff of my own myself. Tonight was my first attempt at using She-Hulk, and she's surprisingly fun to use. I picked Clothesline as an assist by accident, but I got some decent stuff out of it anyway. I really need to give her a decent shot in training mode.
She's a very underrated character, especially as an anchor. You should sit down and figure some Skrull stuff out, too. I would have lost a lot more if you had some good Skrull combos.

It's damned stylish, and it was one of many instances in which you punished my panicked Mist hypers. I learned the hard way that I can't use it as a crutch anymore; getting buzzed with a sun goddess can help or hurt, depending on the situation.
It really sucks when it whiffs now and then, though...haha. Sort of like that match where Shadow Blade crossed up from under you and I got Morrigan's level 3, and proceeded to fly into the corner...

Edit:
ZOMG I just did 3 loops in a row. I figured out that I need to dash forward between both Helm Breakers. I'm celebrating with pickles and chocolate milk.

Solune

Azure actually posted this a few pages ago maybe weeks now =p.
Alright. I decided that I want my Vergil to stop being ass, so I went into training mode. After an hour of practice, I did the Yipes combo off of Rapid Slash, and can do one round of Spiral Swords loops. For some reason my opponent keeps falling too far away for a second pick-up.

What's the difference between doing the following after Rapid Slash into Spiral Swords:
MH, f.H, teleport, H
H, f.H, teleport, H, f.H
H, f.H, teleport, H

It seems like I can pull them all off. Is one more consistent than the others? It's hard to tell whether variations are due to my lack of experience or the choices I'm making.
Your Vergil was good when we played lol. I actually do H. f.H teleport f.H Roundtrip. f.H to end because it brings Vergil closer to make it easier to do the follow up after Judgement Cut.

New to me. :p

Azure actually posted this a few pages ago maybe weeks now =p.

Your Vergil was good when we played lol. I actually do H. f.H teleport f.H Roundtrip. f.H to end because it brings Vergil closer to make it easier to do the follow up after Judgement Cut.
My fundamentals are solid, but my combos are ass. I want to kill off of anything like I should be. Tonight I had to reset Louse 3 times to kill She-Hulk, and that's just terrible.

Also, neat fact for Vergil/Dormammu. Any time you can do c.H into Lunar Phase, you can call Dark Hole simultaneously with the c.H for about 50K extra damage, and it doesn't interfere Lunar Phase.

Edit: Oh yeah, and during Flight mode Morrigan can cancel back dashes into dash other. This has no application at all, but if you've ever played Mischief Makers, it looks and sounds like Marina. ^_^

Edit2: I was surprised. KillerKai made a thread on GFAQs offering people advice on the game. I asked him who he thought the third for Morrigan/Dormammu should be, and he said that without a doubt it should be Strider. I've always thought Strider was clearly a poor choice for my team. Neither of my characters get very much off of a Vajra hit.

A GFAQs thread asked what team we'd use if characters could be used more than once per team. I realized I'd play:
Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)
Dormammu (Dark Hole)
Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

Astral Vision backed by Dark Harmonizer would be a lot of fun. :)

mr. puppy

Banned
Edit2: I was surprised. KillerKai made a thread on GFAQs offering people advice on the game. I asked him who he thought the third for Morrigan/Dormammu should be, and he said that without a doubt it should be Strider. I've always thought Strider was clearly a poor choice for my team. Neither of my characters get very much off of a Vajra hit.

Killerkai has no idea what he is talking about, Strider makes no sense on that team. could you link to the thread?

So I was goofing around in Arcade mode a few minutes ago and came across a glitch

I was wolverine and I Berserker Slashed the CPU Shuma, BUT the CPU Shuma went for his command throw and caught me, and it took us to that weird shadow world glitch that Desk made a video on awhile back. If it matters, I'm playing the PS Vita version (but I think it was patched on this system, too)

Vajira prevents people from sj into offense and if they sj forces them to block which can allows Morrigan and Dorm to set up zoning strategies.

Weaker hidden missiles on that team.

https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/244332498723680257

Killerkai has no idea what he is talking about, Strider makes no sense on that team. could you link to the thread?
Thread link:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/63822356

His response:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/63822356?page=12

Vajira prevents people from sj into offense and if they sj forces them to block which can allows Morrigan and Dorm to set up zoning strategies.

Weaker hidden missiles on that team.
I'm not worried about superjump offenses, though. Plus it puts a limit on how much meter I can spend on Astral Vision and Stalking Flare, since I'll need to save for Ouroboros.

While Kai didn't mean it this way, it makes far more sense to me for Strider to be my point character. Strider is one of the few solo "complete packages" that can go it alone a la Vergil and Zero.

So I was goofing around in Arcade mode a few minutes ago and came across a glitch

I was wolverine and I Berserker Slashed the CPU Shuma, BUT the CPU Shuma went for his command throw and caught me, and it took us to that weird shadow world glitch that Desk made a video on awhile back. If it matters, I'm playing the PS Vita version (but I think it was patched on this system, too)
You should share this on SRK.

Azure J

Say thread, what should Strider be doing versus hard zoning? I'm re-evaluating my more recent matches internally trying to actually learn post salt and actually drawing a blank here. The match up in question is Strider vs. Hawkeye full screen. Nothing starts up fast enough to break the momentum gained from Arrows xx Triple Arrow, prevent an Arrows xx Dead Arrow loop, or counter Speed Shots. Teleports are just asking to be grabbed as they can't be covered by animals and Excalibur M/H for approach is far too much of a gamble to rely on consistently. My most effective strategy was a hilarious Slide - XFC full combo and that was just a waste as full stocked XF3 Vergil came in and had his way with poor Strider moments later.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Say thread, what should Strider be doing versus hard zoning? I'm re-evaluating my more recent matches internally trying to actually learn post salt and actually drawing a blank here. The match up in question is Strider vs. Hawkeye full screen. Nothing starts up fast enough to break the momentum gained from Arrows xx Triple Arrow, prevent an Arrows xx Dead Arrow loop, or counter Speed Shots. Teleports are just asking to be grabbed as they can't be covered by animals and Excalibur M/H for approach is far too much of a gamble to rely on consistently. My most effective strategy was a hilarious Slide - XFC full combo and that was just a waste as full stocked XF3 Vergil came in and had his way with poor Strider moments later.

Is there something I'm overlooking?
Why can't you just Vajra H?

Also, fun fact: Rocket Raccoon is so small that he can jump between Soul Fists (as in, a high one and a low one).

Combination of being disadvantageous on block (like seriously, you can grab this every time without fail on block) & Hawkeye recovers deceptively fast from most of his special projectiles.
Is he just standing and doing s.H, qcf.X? If that's the case, then just jump forward over the projectiles to advance. I assume he's doing something like jump back arrows, s.H, qcf.X. Then you Vajra him when he goes for the jump back arrows.

Sometimes you need to exercise a little yomi in matchups. ;-) I do a lot of naked teleports with Vergil against keepaway characters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Crossover Counter Combos by desk.

I agree. I've lost matches because I've become way too reliant on it. However against something like a Strider or Dormammu teleport, it will beat it and give you a bit of damage.

When doing Repulsor Blast xx Spread footsies...Spread is not safe at most ranges. Buffering spread with QCF H and looking for counter pokes to beat out with Proton Cannon.

I've been thinking about how to make anchorman viable..and I think its really going to depend on loading him up with meter (by his TAC infinite) and then killing someone off a Unibeam or Repulsor Blast by cancelling into Iron Avenger, then doing a double dash, L Smart Bomb OTG, c.M, S, into a larger combo that builds meter and damage so you can finish them off with Proton Cannon. There's an alternate bnb that's pretty bad new Iron Man players like to use (the only bnb worth using is the Krispy Kreme for countless reasons) but I think it would work well here. Its a c.M, S confirm with airdashes and such in it.

Iron Man's got a lot of glaring weaknesses, his bad ground mobility and the lack of easy tools. He has problems opening people up when they figure out they can up back you for days. He doesn't have an easy to use crossup (addf j.S crosses up but the timing is extremely tricky, much easier in XFL3 though) and ADF j.M (which is character specific). His incoming character mixups are hard to perform well. Air Smart Bombs are supposed to control space below him, but are hard to use practically.

I'd like to believe this character is viable on anchor, but its a ton of work. Its no secret he isn't very good (at all), but I still like to think he's viable in the back.
Yeah I don't see him being a viable anchor for all the reasons you listed. Smart bombs are so easy to avoid too, their effectiveness is pretty limited altogether. Even if he was a decent anchor, comparatively he wouldn't be as effective in the spot as other good anchors.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just realized Enzo's IM avatar changed again. What's the event this time?
New Iron Man look for the new series in the fall as a part of Marvel NOW.

2548178-ironman_1_preview3_super.jpeg

I actually went in and coloured the little gold strips on the right side too but when not zoomed in 400% you can't see them as well D:

Azure J

Is he just standing and doing s.H, qcf.X? If that's the case, then just jump forward over the projectiles to advance. I assume he's doing something like jump back arrows, s.H, qcf.X. Then you Vajra him when he goes for the jump back arrows.

Sometimes you need to exercise a little yomi in matchups. ;-) I do a lot of naked teleports with Vergil against keepaway characters.

Yeah, he's standing and s.H xx qcf+x. But he moves as the match dictates. I guess my thing it I get a little too impatient (it's funny how zoning always does this to me when I am the most defensive "don't touch shit" player at times) between seeing the advance being halted when I land from arrow pushback, or seeing the chip add up.

I'm going to try more of this though. I can already sorta train him to put out rrows in certain patterns. Intercepting with Vajra would be wonderful. :p

BTW, most obnoxious thing ever with Vergil - c.L - Trick L/M. I can't tell you how distracting it is to think "just block" and then wind up being put into this because he can cancel into specials whenever things connect, confirm or block. Everything says it shouldn't work. My bro likes using this though since it keeps him in range for Vergil's footsies. He's reading my habit of staying outside of Vergil's sword ranges now. (._. )

New Iron Man look for the new series in the fall as a part of Marvel NOW.

I actually went in and coloured the little gold strips on the right side too but when not zoomed in 400% you can't see them as well D:

Ah now I see. Cool stuff.

But I need to test my Wolverine/Jill team :-(
How can you do that on an underwater connection, regardless of whether I'm there? :p

Funny that you're trying that combination. A guy on GFAQs just started using it too.

Yeah, he's standing and s.H xx qcf+x. But he moves as the match dictates. I guess my thing it I get a little too impatient (it's funny how zoning always does this to me when I am the most defensive "don't touch shit" player at times) between seeing the advance being halted when I land from arrow pushback, or seeing the chip add up.

I'm going to try more of this though. I can already sorta train him to put out rrows in certain patterns. Intercepting with Vajra would be wonderful. :p

BTW, most obnoxious thing ever with Vergil - c.L - Trick L/M. I can't tell you how distracting it is to think "just block" and then wind up being put into this because he can cancel into specials whenever things connect, confirm or block. Everything says it shouldn't work. My bro likes using this though since it keeps him in range for Vergil's footsies. He's reading my habit of staying outside of Vergil's sword ranges now. (._..
Explain the Vergil thing to me.

Funny that you're trying that combination. A guy on GFAQs just started using it too.
It's surprising how flexible Wolverine gets with Arrow Kick assist. Start berserker charge loops anywhere on screen, triple relaunches, weird mixups. I'm just worried that the 3rd character has to be Sentinel or Akuma. I feel like there's more to the combination than that.

It's surprising how flexible Wolverine gets with Arrow Kick assist. Start berserker charge loops anywhere on screen, triple relaunches, weird mixups. I'm just worried that the 3rd character has to be Sentinel or Akuma. I feel like there's more to the combination than that.
Frank West?

If you can fix your internet, we'll play.

Azure J

Explain the Vergil thing to me.

The basic idea is to mindgame the opponent while staying close enough to them that they can't zone or setup on Vergil without him reacting or blocking. He'll dash up and put out a c.L poke. On hit, this is obviously a full combo. On block though, the shenanigans begin. Call an assist for the left-right, Trick L/M to put out another one of these pokes to test your orientation (i.e. feel out if you're still blocking), etc. The big reason why this works though is because if you push block and attempt to counter, you get counter hit from the low thanks to the distance on the move. If you sit there and block too long, then assists get put into play. If you Alpha counter, XFC - Snap says nope unless it's invincible.

Pretty funny if a bit bleh to see used on myself so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom