• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSLink

Banned
So most people who know me know that I have a ton of teams...finally picked a main team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Y2r6NNB28

Spencer/Phoenix Wright/Dr. Doom

:p It's been used before but I like Spencer and Phoenix Wright individually so Doom as last is a logical choice with a team with them both

Gonna go into the training room some more and try to learn that Spencer infinite and Dr. Doom good TAC's + infinite.

So most people who know me know that I have a ton of teams...finally picked a main team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Y2r6NNB28

Spencer/Phoenix Wright/Dr. Doom

:p It's been used before but I like Spencer and Phoenix Wright individually so Doom as last is a logical choice with a team with them both

Gonna go into the training room some more and try to learn that Spencer infinite and Dr. Doom good TAC's + infinite.
Wow, we have two Wright players here? Hilarious. You and Slasher need to do a FT20 to determine who the better lawyer is.

On that note, watching Poltergust tonight convinced my that Hulk really is Wright's BFF. I think the logical choice is to run Wright/Hulk/Sentinel.

Wow, we have two Wright players here? Hilarious. You and Slasher need to do a FT20 to determine who the better lawyer is.

On that note, watching Poltergust tonight convinced my that Hulk really is Wright's BFF. I think the logical choice is to run Wright/Hulk/Sentinel.

Well doesn't G.X use

Hulk/Spencer/Doom
P.Wright/Spencer/Doom

he could just go Hulk/Wright/Doom.

But if you really asked me I say keep your Wright/Spencer/Doom team if you really insist on playing Wright (god bless your soul).

Well doesn't G.X use

Hulk/Spencer/Doom
P.Wright/Spencer/Doom

he could just go Hulk/Wright/Doom.

But if you really asked me I say keep your Wright/Spencer/Doom team if you really insist on playing Wright (god bless your soul).
Poltergust uses Wright/Hulk/Doom (HM). I think that Sentinel Force is superior to Hidden Missiles for Hulk, though, and that it doesn't make a huge difference for Wright. Plus the DHCs are way, way better. And Sentinel loves the Hulk assist plus Missile for unblockables.

FSLink

Banned
I've used Wright since Ultimate came out, but this feels like the best team for him. DHCing into Wright is probably the easiest way to get some evidence off a kill/combo into Objection outside of TACing...which is pretty much just a guess. This is more reliable.

Hulk's a great assist when Wright's on point though.

Though I feel like Dante Jam Session assist is the best assist for Wright. Great coverage and amazing THC that you can combo into Objection with. Kind of does bad against teleports, but Maya Shield -> dash into it and wait for the teleporter to hit a button and then mash s.L to combo them. Eat it Vergils.

I used to rock Hawkeye/Wright/Dante when Wright still had that invincible wallbounce assist. Was so good.

Also I should have gone to Austin....I'm in San Antonio and the group I play against went...shoutouts to Weeberman (Iron Fist/Ryu/Akuma) and Laquerhead (Spencer/Iron Man/Nova), I could have played against Poltergust in casuals or something, lol. I'll go to the next Ranbats.

EDIT: I'd definitely be up for a FT20 with Slasher. :p I'll even record it so I can learn.

Zissou

Does anyone know of any Jill guides that are up to date? It seems like most of the stuff I've been able to find so far has been from vanilla. Is it applicable still?

nice, more spencer players on gaf.

i realized on saturday i should only attempt the modified gx loop with spencer offline, or if the connection online is gdlk. it felt good to land it a few times though in matches.

I don't believe Hulks Anti Air assist hit box is super jump at it's peak but it would be hard to super jump to avoid it IMO.

Ahh another Wright main steps into the spot light. Props to you FSLink. Do you play PSN at all, I'd love to play you. Even though I hate playing Wright ditto's, but since you don't start him I don't think I'd be annoyed. Every other time it's too Wrights at the start it is always throw out shield grab three evidence and go for the objection in unison. LOL it's to tempting not to do lol.

Anyway as another Wright mainer can I crituqe your team with some questions? All for player analysis, I assure you.

1) It's always interesting to me as most Wright mainers (not all mind you) usually put Wright second. I always kinda disagreed with this method but I would imagine that you use Get em Missile to create some easy high/low mixups with Spencer and when you get two meters Bionic Arm into Maya Super and grab three or four pieces of evidence. I always used Wright as a on point character because I feel he is backed with assists and if and when I do reach turnabout, I usually have meter to burn and a significant amount of red health ready to be replenished. Plus I like having meter with Hulk so I can gamma crush out of any bad situation.

2) What assists do you use for Spencer and Doom? I feel Wright is a character who heavily needs assists to use to his full potential. I don't see any of Spencer's assists being to helpful. Slant Shot might slow down jump in's but I don't believe it really stops them. As for Doom Hidden Missiles doesn't really help Wright too much after getting evidence. It would surely help him gather but I don't think it would do much afterwards. I would go for beam that would help Wright the most but you would probably choose hidden missiles for Spencer.

3) My biggest problem with this team is not so much in it's configuration for Spencer or Doom but for Wright. Once you reach turnabout whats going to stop your opponent from chicken blocking. Spencer and Doom don't give Wright any mix up options and Wright needs them badly to open his opponents up. Don't get me wrong Wright can be a beast and easily take out two full opponents non X-factored but you need set ups.

It kinda feels like Wright is being used as a support character for Doom and Spencer but I don't think Wright makes a very good support character. He isn't very good when the team doesn't focus around him IMO. I'd love to hear your input though.

You both play on PSN. FT20 ASAP, recorded! I will not be satisfied otherwise!

Slasher, did you watch Poltergust on stream last night? He OCVed someone with Wright/Hulk/Doom (HM). It was really impressive. I honestly think you have the better Wright, but his team was a much more balanced Wright team in my opinion.

Damn, a 3-way between Slasher, FSLink, and Poltergust would be BA. I've thought about running Wright myself...he goes well with Morrigan.

FSLink

Banned
Anyway as another Wright mainer can I crituqe your team with some questions? All for player analysis, I assure you.

1) It's always interesting to me as most Wright mainers (not all mind you) usually put Wright second. I always kinda disagreed with this method but I would imagine that you use Get em Missile to create some easy high/low mixups with Spencer and when you get two meters Bionic Arm into Maya Super and grab three or four pieces of evidence. I always used Wright as a on point character because I feel he is backed with assists and if and when I do reach turnabout, I usually have meter to burn and a significant amount of red health ready to be replenished. Plus I like having meter with Hulk so I can gamma crush out of any bad situation.
Yeah, that's what I use him for, DHCs and the assist helps Spencer out for unblockables/mixups. I can use him on point but I feel like he really needs momentum to be able to get evidence pulls safely. Otherwise you get eaten up by start of the round shit like Wolverine. I used Wolverine/Wright/Doom for awhile in casuals, and it works almost as well just for getting the early kill, DHC into Maya Super and collect evidence/setup shield and missiles while waiting for the opponent to come in.

2) What assists do you use for Spencer and Doom? I feel Wright is a character who heavily needs assists to use to his full potential. I don't see any of Spencer's assists being to helpful. Slant Shot might slow down jump in's but I don't believe it really stops them. As for Doom Hidden Missiles doesn't really help Wright too much after getting evidence. It would surely help him gather but I don't think it would do much afterwards. I would go for beam that would help Wright the most but you would probably choose hidden missiles for Spencer.
I use Slant Shot assist because out of all the assists it's the only thing that can get some use. People sometimes like to try to jump in or airdash in against Maya Shield, so it helps occasionally, I can't seem to find a use for any of other Spencer's assists...Armor Piercer could be decent I guess. I figure I'd probably use Beam for certain matchups (Another Hidden missile user), but yeah hidden missiles just helps Wright against teleporters since it tracks.

3) My biggest problem with this team is not so much in it's configuration for Spencer or Doom but for Wright. Once you reach turnabout whats going to stop your opponent from chicken blocking. Spencer and Doom don't give Wright any mix up options and Wright needs them badly to open his opponents up. Don't get me wrong Wright can be a beast and easily take out two full opponents non X-factored but you need set ups.

It kinda feels like Wright is being used as a support character for Doom and Spencer but I don't think Wright makes a very good support character. He isn't very good when the team doesn't focus around him IMO. I'd love to hear your input though.
I like going for tick grabs with Wright thanks to hidden missiles + evidence causing lockdown. If he's at the corner or midscreen and he grabs he can combo and kill in turnabout. He really needs only one kill so he can setup evidence against the next character (2x Cellphone and cross under or fake it after killing a character)
Chip damage is also really good for forcing the opponent to X-Factor early thanks to evidence + missiles.

And yes, Wright dittos are really annoying for that reason, lol. I do have PSN and XBL so hit me up. amodestproposal is my PSN, FSLink is my XBL.

EDIT: Also I love Wright's self unblockables with Spencer. Raw Bionic Arm while the opponent is standing to force the standing block, Maya Super jump up and Objection during the low hit. sooo dirty.

Azure J

MFW after months of screwing around saying "I'd play Viper if rapid Seismos weren't so hard", I do 12 in a row... On my bad side (P2).

3ixGa.gif

I'd spend one bar to momentarily not have the worst ground movement in the game.

Seriously what on Earth was Capcom thinking when they made his ground dash that bad?
You don't know what bad ground movement is until you use Morrigan and Dormammu! It's weird playing Vergil because I get to do the things normal characters get to do.

Dahbomb

Worst ground movement goes to Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright, Thor and Arthur. Strange isn't particularly good either. Iron Man at least looks like his ground movement was balanced around his normals, some of those characters don't even have the good normals to offset their poor ground mobility.

Worst ground movement goes to Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright, Thor and Arthur. Strange isn't particularly good either. Iron Man at least looks like his ground movement was balanced around his normals, some of those characters don't even have the good normals to offset their poor ground mobility.
At least include Morrigan. Her ground dash is worse than Arthur's non-dash.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member

I love how Capcom puts all the limitations on bad characters.

Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright, Thor, Arthur, Iron Man..at least give them a decent ground dash. They don't have much else going for them.

I love how Capcom puts all the limitations on bad characters.

Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright, Thor, Arthur, Iron Man..at least give them a decent ground dash. They don't have much else going for them.
It's more like Capcom tries to diversify characters, and movement limitations is one way of doing that. Dormammu turned out fine, though he was far more restricted in Vanilla.

One might conjecture that part of the reason these characters aren't thought to be good is that they are awkward to play. It's easier to play a character who can just dash up and attack.

Why, because it might accidentally come out and screw you up?
Yeah, it can kill her. Her ground dash is so bad that if you do the backward ground dash, you can't push a button for 23 frames. It's pure death. Forward dash takes 15 frames, which is bad, but not quite as terrible.

I'd be much happier if they removed her ground dash input entirely.

looks like my xf3 hawkeye is coming along quite nicely even though i hardly ever get to use him.
Jumping back and making qcf motions over and over does take some practice.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
No matter how much I complain about Iron Man, I'll always play him. His combos are too much fun and Unibeam assist puts the fear of god into people.

smurfx

get some go again
No matter how much I complain about Iron Man, I'll always play him. His combos are too much fun and Unibeam assist puts the fear of god into people.
i like it when people get too happy calling beam assists and then i destroy their assists with a few hypers.

This game online...THIS GAME ONLINE. Mario Party x Mario Kart x Monopoly in terms of rage sometimes.

Yet I still do it. So glad I can get offline sets at some points.

Dahbomb

At least include Morrigan. Her ground dash is worse than Arthur's non-dash.
You already covered those two so I didn't feel I need to add them.

Some of these characters were balanced around being keep away characters. They were meant to keep away with projectiles only as the meta game has proven you need more versatility and mobility to be good in the game. At least Dorm and Morrigan have some good normals and avenues to rushdown if the match up allows.

Azure J

This game online...THIS GAME ONLINE. Mario Party x Mario Kart x Monopoly in terms of rage sometimes.

Yet I still do it. So glad I can get offline sets at some points.

Oh hell no, Marvel does not get as bad as that. I can't imagine how much blood would be spilled if something as rage inducing as all three put together existed in America. Shit would be considered a weapon of mass destruction. :lol

Also, I find this comment interesting when SRK was just making a tier list for games that make people the saltiest. Mario Party, Kart and Pokemon are god tier.

shaowebb

Oh hell no, Marvel does not get as bad as that. I can't imagine how much blood would be spilled if something as rage inducing as all three put together existed in America. Shit would be considered a weapon of mass destruction. :lol

Also, I find this comment interesting when SRK was just making a tier list for games that make people the saltiest. Mario Party, Kart and Pokemon are god tier.

I can vouch for this. My wife used to like Mario Kart 64 till she played me. That was the only game I owned for like 2 years after getting the N64 so I eventually got to where I could snipe with greenshells off the top of block fort in that game using the map and both screens. I only ever got the top of block fort snipe with a banana a couple of times, but that is IMO the ultimate achievement in that game. After a bout of me showing how I could super jump with Toad off the hood of Bowser off a turbo jump if I timed it right to land up top and holding brake and gas at the same time to go "turret" as she tried to drive by me she never would play me again.

I'm nowhere near what I used to be, but going in raw online for my first try on MKwii I managed top 5th percentile of the US at least. Game is so BS compared to older Mario Karts though that I didn't stick with it. Blue shells and rubber band Ai is completely horrible in that game and the battle mode levels equate to 90% stage hazard losses over losses to anyone with actual skill. They should have made more small stages without hazards for purist throw downs like good ol Block Fort 64 and Double Deck. Ahhhhhh double deck. The stage where you flood the bottom row with your green shells as a dumping ground and force them to try and run from you between decks 2 and 3 lest they risk the horrors below. Its great if you can trick them into the spot in the middle of the starting area with the collision detection problem. Its a hole where you can drop a tire into it and get stuck slightly for a moment. Just enough of a moment to snipe them from the top for looking down or by point blanking them if you drove off in hot pursuit before they hit it. :)

God I miss that game. No one plays it now though.

I get mad when I lose in Persona, I have to put the controller down. MVC3 is relaxing to me, I don't really care if I lose.

Now Risk, I get mad like a motherfucker. I've been playing DBJoseph a lot in Risk online, so much fun.

Azure J

lol mario kart 64 was true rage. i even got into a short physical fight with my friend because of it.

You know what was the funniest part about playing MK64 with my siblings? They banned me from using 1st place items (single green shell, banana, fake item block) any way but defensively (re: I could only hold them out, no firing or dropping behind me) in that game. I had gotten to a point after playing that game for so long where I could snipe anything near me with either a back shot or a forward shot and then pushed that even further by doing trick shots with shells rebounding off walls. Bananas were used for fucking people over on ramps (<3 Royal Raceway and making people have to do 1/3 of the lap over again with this) and fake item blocks I could leave in a batch of items only to have multiple crashes in the same patch per race. That or fucking up That One Jump&#8482; for folks on Wario Stadium.

To put this into perspective, they let me use lightning, boos, stars, triple red shells and the spiny shell, but if I had triple green shells, bananas or a fake item block, they screamed in rage. :lol

Edit: Yo shaowebb fucking played Mario Kart 64. I remember all of that shit. :lol

Shoutouts to collision detection in Toad's Turnpike making any well timed crash knock you through walls into abyss programmed as water, power jumping off Bowser or other heavies on Choco Mountain's final loop before finish line to cut the area with the falling boulders, boost shenanigans on Mario Raceway and Wario's Stadium, and of course, sequence breaks in Yoshi Valley. Hot damn do I miss that game.

shaowebb

A game that I've found that never seems to get folks salty in versus matches with humans that you think would is the entire Culdcept franchise. ITs Magic the Gathering meets Monopoly and easily one of my favorite game franchises of all time. My original avatar of several years on GAF was King Tortoise from that series and I made both the official OT for the series and the SAGA OT before the 360 launched.

You'd think a game combining magic the gathering card battle shenanigans with monopoly style land acquisition and monetary goals would make people try to cut each other's throats, but seeing and facing other strategies from players always seems to bring out more excitement than salt from my experience. However, the series is known for rigging the odds of bad dice rolls as matches progress and THAT has always brought forth the salt from folks.

I wish more folks played it...

You know what was the funniest part about playing MK64 with my siblings? They banned me from using 1st place items (single green shell, banana, fake item block) any way but defensively (re: I could only hold them out, no firing or dropping behind me) in that game. I had gotten to a point after playing that game for so long where I could snipe anything near me with either a back shot or a forward shot and then pushed that even further by doing trick shots with shells rebounding off walls. Bananas were used for fucking people over on ramps (<3 Royal Raceway and making people have to do 1/3 of the lap over again with this) and fake item blocks I could leave in a batch of items only to have multiple crashes in the same patch per race. That or fucking up That One Jump&#8482; for folks on Wario Stadium.

To put this into perspective, they let me use lightning, boos, stars, triple red shells and the spiny shell, but if I had triple green shells, bananas or a fake item block, they screamed in rage. :lol

Edit: Yo shaowebb fucking played Mario Kart 64. I remember all of that shit. :lol

Shoutouts to collision detection in Toad's Turnpike making any well timed crash knock you through walls into abyss programmed as water, power jumping off Bowser or other heavies on Choco Mountain's final loop before finish line to cut the area with the falling boulders, boost shenanigans on Mario Raceway and Wario's Stadium, and of course, sequence breaks in Yoshi Valley. Hot damn do I miss that game.
^This guy right here gets it.
*bro knuck*
My man :)

God I wish we lived near each other. Hook up the N64 and stream that for folks wanting to see how truly shenanigan that game could get with experienced folks. Chases on double deck and Block fort were some of the longest and most exciting things this side of hollywood chase scenes at high levels. I still remember powersliding a cm from corner and then hooking it sharp nearly ramming the wall on the opposite side in those matchups to get red shells to collide with the wall to make it to safety. Those were honestly about the only things capable of driving you down into greenshell hell on the bottom row sometimes. Random ghost item saving you seconds from a death and friggin rounding a corner, slamming the breaks and droppin that fake block at 1mph as your pursuer rounds the corner into the thing was soooooo good. Quick gas+brake to U-turn on them and you could often get behind them to the items again and get a 2-fer or full on character kill off that cornering trap. And what day was complete without getting 5 banana peels, parallel parking at the top of the block fort entrance ramp and then popping all 5 off there to act as a speedbump juuuuuuuust out of site from the bottom entrance of the ramp.

I always wanted to have a suicide bomber moment of speeding off the top of the block fort with a fake block and landing on top of a guy, but it never paid off. You fall so differently from your items that it was too hard to time and it usually cost the whole match to try. Shit would be the most hilarious win ever if you hit it though. Biggest FU in Mario Kart 64 if you could nail that shit. Even better than green shell or banana sniping from afar. Wish MK64 had the bomb. That thing can be bowled and rolled differently than shells. It would have made banked stages like doughnut fun because you could fire it up hill in a turn and get it to roll out from behind walls on people if you were good. God knows I used it to take out folks turning through corners on banked stages on the Wii.

God I miss this game now...

Warpticon

Poltergust uses Wright/Hulk/Doom (HM). I think that Sentinel Force is superior to Hidden Missiles for Hulk, though, and that it doesn't make a huge difference for Wright. Plus the DHCs are way, way better. And Sentinel loves the Hulk assist plus Missile for unblockables.

Basic Sausage uses Hulk/Wright/Coon.

shaowebb

Yeah his chi's have invincibility, but its hard to DP that quick on reaction to most stuff. Not a bad little combo, but considering he had Spencer assist he should have gotten a kill. Should have done the jumping combos that most use for their BNB with him since they do more. Still though thats pretty good and respectable damage and nothing to snear at. Especially since its an easier combo to do.

I guess where Iron Fist has the chi counter trick Capcom thought he needed things like air dashing and mixup options to be really low so he has only one good low for stuff and no ways to get behind you off a lockdown assist easily. The thing is a DP is way harder to do than a third strike style parry so its not the same in terms of usability as old school parrys are.

This is how I wish his parry worked.

Really though all I think I'd need is for "wall of k'un lun" and "rising dragon" to no longer require rekkas to use them and I'd have a way in. One beam or lockdown assist and Rising Dragon and I'm in there as you'll either be locked down or catch a kick to the chest trying to jump the beam. Rising Dragon mainly, but Wall of K'un Lun would be great for combo experiments. Chi parry into that would be sweet and lead to a full wallbounce combo too so having it free would be needed as well to really have some fun. Usually, I chi parry and just do fists of fury into low and pillar if I get it at all. Its so tight a thing though that I usually panic and have trouble doing anything after one. For awhile I tried THC after it, but it just burned meter I needed doing that. God I want my "S" rekkas to no longer have pre-requisites.

For old times sake...
Manly Picture Time!
SVijP.jpg

I can vouch for this. My wife used to like Mario Kart 64 till she played me. That was the only game I owned for like 2 years after getting the N64 so I eventually got to where I could snipe with greenshells off the top of block fort in that game using the map and both screens. I only ever got the top of block fort snipe with a banana a couple of times, but that is IMO the ultimate achievement in that game. After a bout of me showing how I could super jump with Toad off the hood of Bowser off a turbo jump if I timed it right to land up top and holding brake and gas at the same time to go "turret" as she tried to drive by me she never would play me again.

I'm nowhere near what I used to be, but going in raw online for my first try on MKwii I managed top 5th percentile of the US at least. Game is so BS compared to older Mario Karts though that I didn't stick with it. Blue shells and rubber band Ai is completely horrible in that game and the battle mode levels equate to 90% stage hazard losses over losses to anyone with actual skill. They should have made more small stages without hazards for purist throw downs like good ol Block Fort 64 and Double Deck. Ahhhhhh double deck. The stage where you flood the bottom row with your green shells as a dumping ground and force them to try and run from you between decks 2 and 3 lest they risk the horrors below. Its great if you can trick them into the spot in the middle of the starting area with the collision detection problem. Its a hole where you can drop a tire into it and get stuck slightly for a moment. Just enough of a moment to snipe them from the top for looking down or by point blanking them if you drove off in hot pursuit before they hit it. :)

God I miss that game. No one plays it now though.
MK64 was boss. MKWii was trash compared to it, especially the time-limited online multiplayer. So bad. My sister and I used to play this game in MK64 where we went on the block level and flooded the ground with green shells, and then would try to ram each other into the bottom half. SO fun. I played battle mode forever, and I was goddamn ace at sniping with banana peels. I couldn't even be bothered to finish MKWii's single player. I had this 150cc race where I was in 1st the entire time, and then I got hit by, in order, a blue shell, a red shell, a red shell, a green shell, right in front of the finish line (inches, in terms of screen length). I finished the race in 6th place and ragequit the game forever. I never put it back in, because fuck that.

Yeah his chi's have invincibility, but its hard to DP that quick on reaction to most stuff. Not a bad little combo, but considering he had Spencer assist he should have gotten a kill. Should have done the jumping combos that most use for their BNB with him since they do more. Still though thats pretty good and respectable damage and nothing to snear at. Especially since its an easier combo to do.
The chi has armor, not invincibility.

Basic Sausage uses Hulk/Wright/Coon.
That's not a bad combo, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom