• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you trying to say that Shuma-Goroth isn't awesome?

Looks like somebody is gonna be taking a trip to the chaos dimension.

A trip to the Chaos dimension is almost as expensive as a round-trip bus ticket where I live.

I paid $2 for Jill during the XMas PSN sale and I still don't use her. I'd rather buy all of the costume packs in existance than pay $1 for Shuma. Worst character in any Marvel game.

shaowebb

Fucking Mr. Karate just fuck that guy. who the fuck gives mr karate an invulnerable command grab which fucking tracks? and well its kinda the ultimate OS
And don't forget how much invincibility he gets on his other moves too. Plus its nice his standing B is a low you can cancel for high low mixups and such. Guy has a lot of tools and its hard to keep him away when he wants some.

If it makes you feel better I play Andy/Vice/K'

Backup are Chin or Claw Iori.

But yeah point made. SNK made their DLC crew damned solid contenders and the kind of guys you'd pay to add easily. How many folks played a team that begged for a Shuma or Jill addition? Not many. Those characters are time sinks and thats not the kind of stuff to throw out there as optional because people don't play cast like that when they are free for the most part.

Case in point pretend Jill/Shuma weren't the DLC in vanilla. Now pretend Vergil and Nova as good as they are were the DLC. Which sounds like it would sell better? Thats what SNK did. They didn't take niche cast they took popular characters from their history and put them up. They didn't take niche playstyles and make them DLC they took top tier movesets and made them DLC. Just better business sense to put strongly viable characters out as DLC over stuff like Jill and Shuma.

They were a terrible way to test that business model IMO.

shaowebb

saw this over at srk. combofiend vs a brazillian chunli player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CyjoHGtjpEw#!

Really digging that Akuma mixup of calling his tatsu and then jump airdash SBK on the opposite side. Legs everywhere. Also Kikoken and Hadoken looked pretty cool for eating space there at times.Also the start of the match mixup with the jumps and the assist call is nice. Makes you wonder which side Akuma is coming from.

Dahbomb

Damn that guy's Chunners is legit. His has crazy tuechnology with all 3 characters. That multi-fireball confirm using the Ryu power... (Jacknicholsonyes.gif)

Is there footage of that Jill/Skrull player?

If only Chun Li had a good low...

JeTmAn81

Rowtron vs. Brian Kasugano for Chun Li Champion?

edit: wow, I think Brian is doing some things in that Combofiend video with Ryu I haven't seen before, multi-fireball hit converted into a combo with Denjin mode. His Akuma is amazing too. Team Street Fighter is legit.

Solune

Couldn't you do another lighting at :16 and start the loop? That way you still kill, keep zero in and then can mix them up with that Hagger assist.

P.S Nice use of Task I never thought of that.

Oh for sure I could've Lightning Looped for efficiency but I just wanted to DHC and for those who can't LL.

Azure J

I know you don't play this team anymore smurfx but I recorded another video using your old team that I thought you might like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNEQRYcBrqQ&list=FLsDXqPnR9bYdTZzMzQtw2YA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Every now and again, something happens that makes me really want to play Zero even though I've pretty much halted all my development on side teams while I get Viper/Dante/Strider leveled up. Man, this game makes me such an indecisive and cheap slut. :lol

Can anyone tell me who has been confirmed for Team World besides frutsy at season's beatings? I've been reading the srk thread and they always post that someone is about to confirm but never actually say who it is.

I just set Magneto/Doom/Ammy to increased dash speed, extra air dashes and rapid-cancelable normals. So nuts haha

I've been playing like this for two hours.

Dahbomb

Can anyone tell me who has been confirmed for Team World besides frutsy at season's beatings? I've been reading the srk thread and they always post that someone is about to confirm but never actually say who it is.
Right now it's Frutsy, Mamespider and Kane Blue River (Chile player). The other 2 players still have to be revealed.

Crossing my fingers for Zak Bennet.

Azure J

I just set Magneto/Doom/Ammy to increased dash speed, extra air dashes and rapid-cancelable normals. So nuts haha

Heroes and Heralds is a hoot. Shoutouts to special cancellable specials, max air actions in air and air dashes for all characters. Nothing like starting a combo with a wall of "fuck whatever you're doing, it's Waluigi Dante time." (AKA Million Carats xx Air Trick)

I can't believe something that busted existed in Vanilla too.

FSLink

Banned
Heroes and Heralds is a hoot. Shoutouts to special cancellable specials, max air actions in air and air dashes for all characters. Nothing like starting a combo with a wall of fuck whatever you're doing it's Waluigi Dante time. (AKA Million Carats xx Air Trick)

So dumb that there isn't a built in offline mode for Heroes and Heralds (outside of the messy Training mode way), I don't know how they designed the idea and didn't think that an offline vs wouldn't be a great idea too.

I can't believe H&H was added at all. Did Capcom really expect people to put a lot of time into a mode where the goal is to be as cheap as possible? That dev time could have went to something more useful like two new characters or a replay mode.

Frantic

Spencer/Storm/Dante was pretty hilarious with three meters at the start + meter regen + hyper damage increase. I would body people by just pushing both assists buttons when I saw them do something. Spencer would then get like two or three up grapples after he recovered, and then I'd have recovered enough meter to do it again when the next character came in. So dumb, but so fun.

Everything Dante had in vanilla was super busted. :p

Casual players don't play offline?

Of course some do, but clearly they don't gather to tournaments like we do.

Funny enough sometimes I listen to video game review podcast from websites that have absolutely nothing to do with video games (basically casual gamers).

Sometimes they review fighting games (most of them have no clue how in depth fg are) and things like HH are the things they tend to enjoy.

rCIZZLE

I need some help from some Iron Man brahs. Really want to pick him up but I'm having trouble getting started. I've been slacking on my playing and I think learning my favorite character in the game would give me reason to really jump back into it.

First off, here's my team: Hulk, Doom, Wesker

I'd like to fit him in there somewhere and have some good team chemistry.

Also, I'm having a little trouble finding a good, all purpose starter bnb to learn before I can start working on the more efficient ones. What would you guys suggest for either or both?

Thanks!

edit: assume shitty execution. my bnbs for my team, even doom, are pretty simple.

Dahbomb

I'd like to fit him in there somewhere and have some good team chemistry.
There are two teams you can try.

Hulk/IM (Repulsar or Beam)/Doom (Hidden Missiles)

IM/Wesker/Doom (Plasma Beam)

1st team you can choose between Repulsar and Beam assist depending upon match ups. Aerial approachers, general rushdown and teleporters are better dealt with Repulsar but zoning/keepaway teams are dealt with Unibeam.

2nd team has Plasma beam because Wesker gets very limited benefits from Hidden Missiles. Plasma beam works fine with IM but Hidden Missiles is his preferred assist with Doom.

2nd team is better for learning Iron Man combos because you have an easy extender and Plasma Beam can help you move in horizontally.

The easiest combo with IM is cr.L cr.M st.S j.H j. d+H j.S Smart Bomb L OTG cr.M st.S j.M j.H j. d+ H j.S Smart Bomb H OTG Proton Cannon

The last part can be replaced by adding Wesker assist call + Replusor Blast -> Spread, Smart Bomb + Doom assist call, Repulsor Blast -> Spread -> Smart Bomb -> Proton Cannon. You will realize that with these 2 easy assist extensions you can can do easy 900-950K damage.

The problem with the easy IM combo is that you are likely to miss the launcher if the cr.M is hitting at max range. You should always confirm that combo off of his cr.L which is chainable so it's not too bad. Later on you want to learn the Krispy Kreme because the confirm can be made from near max distances of cr.M and it is a safe confirm. IM's launcher is terribly unsafe.

Learning the easy ground BnB isn't enough, you eventually want to learn various throw combos, super jump height confirms, anti-air confirm combos and regular jump height air to air combos. Most of the time the opponent isn't going to be grounded so you need to learn various combos for various situations.

For starters focus on a more defensive Iron Man. Keep them out with cr.H + assist into Unibeam and Repulsar. Learn his mobility and air dashes, harass with long ranged air normals and the occasional smart bomb/air unibeam. Use Fly cancels to add more specials in the air. Movement is everything in this game and IM is no exception despite having mediocre movement for an 8 way air dasher/flyer.

Sentinel on point.

Ryu as your main card (X-Factor causes wall bounce)
2 Fou Lu as secondary cards (2 more X-Factors)

X-Factor any time your opponent does anything, and you kill a character.

rCIZZLE

There are two teams you can try.

Hulk/IM (Repulsar or Beam)/Doom (Hidden Missiles)

IM/Wesker/Doom (Plasma Beam)

1st team you can choose between Repulsar and Beam assist depending upon match ups. Aerial approachers, general rushdown and teleporters are better dealt with Repulsar but zoning/keepaway teams are dealt with Unibeam.

2nd team has Plasma beam because Wesker gets very limited benefits from Hidden Missiles. Plasma beam works fine with IM but Hidden Missiles is his preferred assist with Doom.

2nd team is better for learning Iron Man combos because you have an easy extender and Plasma Beam can help you move in horizontally.

The easiest combo with IM is cr.L cr.M st.S j.H j. d+H j.S Smart Bomb L OTG cr.M st.S j.M j.H j. d+ H j.S Smart Bomb H OTG Proton Cannon

The last part can be replaced by adding Wesker assist call + Replusor Blast -> Spread, Smart Bomb + Doom assist call, Repulsor Blast -> Spread -> Smart Bomb -> Proton Cannon. You will realize that with these 2 easy assist extensions you can can do easy 900-950K damage.

The problem with the easy IM combo is that you are likely to miss the launcher if the cr.M is hitting at max range. You should always confirm that combo off of his cr.L which is chainable so it's not too bad. Later on you want to learn the Krispy Kreme because the confirm can be made from near max distances of cr.M and it is a safe confirm. IM's launcher is terribly unsafe.

Learning the easy ground BnB isn't enough, you eventually want to learn various throw combos, super jump height confirms, anti-air confirm combos and regular jump height air to air combos. Most of the time the opponent isn't going to be grounded so you need to learn various combos for various situations.

For starters focus on a more defensive Iron Man. Keep them out with cr.H + assist into Unibeam and Repulsar. Learn his mobility and air dashes, harass with long ranged air normals and the occasional smart bomb/air unibeam. Use Fly cancels to add more specials in the air. Movement is everything in this game and IM is no exception despite having mediocre movement for an 8 way air dasher/flyer.

A lot more info than I was even hoping for, thanks! I'll likely go with the 2nd team since wesker is my best character right now (sad, I know lol) and having IM on point will force me to really get used to him during the online grind.

I do plan on learning at least 1 combo for the more common situations like you listed at the same time as an easy ground bnb. They may be pretty derpy at first but reacting to the situation is more important than max damage right now. Figured Krispy Kreme was still the standard bnb but I'm just having trouble hitting that j.H unfly j.H which seems to be the most difficult part.

Didn't toss this in the earlier post but I've been messing around with spider-man too in online and training. Spidey/IM/Doom seems like a pretty fun team and may eventually go towards that when I start to feel comfortable with IM.

Dahbomb

Figured Krispy Kreme was still the standard bnb but I'm just having trouble hitting that j.H unfly j.H which seems to be the most difficult part.
Replace that part with j. up + H, j.S. No need to unfly.

Solune

Solubro, you've been holding out!

Addicted to Acid
Secret Factor

The first video makes me want to put some more time into Zero/Dante/Phoenix and see if its possible to get the 3 Acid Rain loops set up. I'm so excite. :lol

Also, Viper nonsense.

Edit: Oh shit, Battōjutsu Loops got optimized.

Haha, but I heard people say Dante combos are boring! I messed up the video somewhat that's why I didn't post it, it felt incomplete. Between the messed up combo and weird audio cue in the video I didn't like it. But I felt like I needed to make the acid rain video though. Between the song, Breaking Bad(just started watching), and how I felt about Marvel it all just fit perfectly.

But my video editing skills are like my Marvel skills -- bad. :lol

You might be able to do the triple Acid Rain loop, will take some creativity though!

Also that Viper stuff is good shit and LOL dat Vergil Loop

Azure J

Haha, but I heard people say Dante combos are boring! I messed up the video somewhat that's why I didn't post it, it felt incomplete. Between the messed up combo and weird audio cue in the video I didn't like it. But I felt like I needed to make the acid rain video though. Between the song, Breaking Bad(just started watching), and how I felt about Marvel it all just fit perfectly.

But my video editing skills are like my Marvel skills -- bad. :lol

You might be able to do the triple Acid Rain loop, will take some creativity though!

Also that Viper stuff is good shit and LOL dat Vergil Loop

At this point in time, I'm just falling back on one too many tried and trues with my Dante (solo midscreen - shot loops, dash up continuations with Killer Bee; assist - the Frantic i.e. Million Carats + Vajra, Burn Kick + Volcano into TK'd Carats; both assists - dat 900K monstrosity of mine) and only now am I trying to make more stylin' ones with either high damage or meter gain. The issue with making new stuff is that Dante has such potent resets that with one ugly combo and a reset into one of the tried and trues, folks don't get to play.

Edit: I want to make a video sometime of conversions from everything he has just to see if I can stretch every possible confirm to its limits. On another note:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: Dante Training Regimen

• Movement/Wavedash Box Jumps into j.M/j.H for x minutes
• Shot Loops (Single Shot/Max Shots) into Stinger Lvl2
• Reverb xx Fireworks on whiff
• Stinger – Bold Move – Air Dash j.M/H – Ground Dash – c.L/M
• Reverb xx Crazy Dance on block/hit
• Stinger Lvl2 -> Grapple Reset into Perfect Meaty j.H (Sameside x n /Cross-up x n)
• Dash -> Stinger+Assist xx (Plink) Teleport
• j.S into OS Hammer Input/Air Play
• j.S Dash Cancel plink
• Intentional normal whiff – Teleport Cancel
• Teleport xx Million Dollars/Devil Trigger
• Weasel Shot to Stinger Frametrap/Link
• Stinger Frametraps with late plinked Reverb/Crystal/Drive
• Level 3 Cold Shower followup
• Hitconfirms with random block. Stinger xx Volcano on hit, Stinger xx Reverb on Block
• Assist Confirms
• Stinger ~ Assist – Teleport – Correct hitconfirm j.H/s.M if standing
• Jam Session xx Devil Trigger – [Grab] & [j.M/H Air Play – Killer Bee]
• BnB’s
• j.S/Hammer Combos (Volcano/Cold Shower)
• Dash up st.S Combos (In the Corner: Dash Back st.S~H xx Prop Shredder)
• Birthday Combos
• Air to Air confirms
• Resets/Incoming/Snap Mixups
• Airthrow Rainstorm XFC Volcano (Normal/SJ Height)
• XF2/3 Combos (Jam Session Infinite/Shot Loops)
• XF Lightning (Galick Gun) Loops
• *Bonus* Normal Jump Airthrow -> Twister -> Million Dollars/Lvl3
• *Unnecessarily Difficult Bonus* Back Throw (facing the corner) into Dash-> Cold Shower followup
• Call Assist ~ Twister xx Devil Trigger – TK’d Vortex

Remember when I said the Dante forum at SRK came up with a training list? I pretty much stole it, and used it as a template for a few other characters (Viper and Strider previously). Problem is, I just went back to my document and found out that all my additional stuff didn't get saved the last time I worked on it so the Viper/Strider stuff is gone. BibleThump.

Anyone wanna try their hand at contributing to a list like this for all of the UMVC3 cast? You just have to chime in on characters you specialize in though. It'd be something cool we could add to the OP in say a Google Doc.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
Replace that part with j. up + H, j.S. No need to unfly.

Gonna have to disagree here. Doing the KK the way its notated (c.M, s.H xx Fly, j.M, j.M, j.H, Unfly, j.H, j.M, j.M, j.dH, j.S, c.M, S air series) is essential for Iron Man play because it gives him almost max range hit confirms from c.M and ADDB j.S, two of his best normals. The KK has more range than any other bnb variation, which is why its the best and only bnb worth learning. Doing j.uH, S and worse it will sometimes whiff completely against certain characters. loses a significant amount of range. Also being able to unfly H quickly when the opponent is not in hitconfirm range will put the opponent in 22 frames of blockstun and make you safe.

In situations where you KNOW the KK won't work, learn to do c.M, s.H xx L Unibeam xx Proton Cannon or Iron Avenger. That's his alternate hit confirm, and also his longest range one. But yeah learn the KK the way I wrote it, trust me.

Its also good to know one air to air hit confirm because Iron Man has really good/high damaging ones that are universal on characters and at any height. Here is a good starting place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klr9AmHYdeg&feature=plcp

Also one last thing, if you're going to run Doom + Iron Man use Doom's hidden missiles, its Iron Man's best neutral assist and lets you extend his combos in a pinch. Call Hidden Missiles doing your launcher, then spike the opponent, and when the HMs OTG them, do H Repulsor Blast, spread after 3 hits, L Repulsor Blast (all hits) xx Spread, H Smart Bomb OTG into any Hyper.

Dahbomb

I never said it was better, I am just saying that if he has trouble with the unfly he can try using that version until he learns the timing for the KK. The post was made for a starter Iron Man player.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
I never said it was better, I am just saying that if he has trouble with the unfly he can try using that version until he learns the timing for the KK. The post was made for a starter Iron Man player.

Ah alright, my bad then. Yeah that's a good alternative until you get it down, but its important to learn for the reasons I mentioned.

Azure J

Tried to write up what I could remember of the Viper and Strider training list but didn't get too much. Keep in mind my own level with the characters when you see this though. Here you go:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: Strider Training Regimen

• Movement/Wave Dashes/Kara Dashes & pokes for footsies (dash up c.L/s.M/s.H/c.H)
• Double overheads and confirms (j.L – double jump – j.L/j.H/j.S; Vajra L or M – j.L – double jump – j.L/j.H/j.S; j.L – double jump – j.L – Excalibur L)
• Safe Block String (Anything – s.H/c.H – Formation B/Formation B Shot)
• Delayed Formation B Shot post block string
• s.H/c.H/f.H xx Formation B/Formation B Shot in neutral
• Wavedash behind Formation A1 - Tiger (QCB + L)
• Tiger Knee’d Excaliburs (QCF+ATK) & Grams (DP+ATK)
• BnB’s & Conversions (Air-to-air – j.H, j.S, Excalibur L – s.S, Ground to Air, Air to Ground, Ground to Ground)
• Formation B Shot – Ragnarok x n amount of times (QCB+S xx DP+2ATK)
• Wall Cling – Ladder Kick – Cypher Attack – Excalibur L (QCF+S – L – M – QCF+L);
• Gram L - Formation B – Formation B Shot Loop in Corner (DP+L – QCB+S – QCB+S, repeat)
• Oki Traps and Resets (Hard Knockdown – Formation A1 tech chase; Hard Knockdown + Formation C Bird Bomb, etc.)
• Slide – X-Factor combos; Slide + Formation A1 links
• Gram L at start of air chain (s.S – j.H – Gram L knockdown)
• Grab Resets from a Formation B OTG (follow the air tech and attempt a grab); Excalibur L to air-to-air or escape on throw tech
• X Factor combos (find out what loops, what
• Legion follow-ups and activation “escapes” (Using Strider’s initial Legion animations to jump out of range of other catch state supers)
• Oroborous “unblockables” (putting out enough orbs to prevent escape from left-right teleport setups) and potential combos

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: Crimson Viper Training Regimen

• Movement (Kara Dashing, Box Dash, Tri-Dash), Instant Overheads (SJ-ADD j.L/j.H), & pokes for footsies (Dash up cr.M xx Thunder Knuckle M [into f.M for low-high mixup?]; Focus Attack xx Thunder Knuckle M/H/S)
• Safe Blockstring (s.LMHS or c.LMHS, Thunder Knuckle L/M – Feint (Add S))
• Rapid Seismos
• Focus Attack, Dash Cancel (ATK+S - 2ATK)
• Seismo to jump canceled Focus Attack (DP+ATK – super jump input – ATK+S); Seismo to jump canceled Optic Laser; Seismo to jump canceled Thunder Knuckle H
• Focus Attack xx Thunder Knuckles
• BnBs (Optimal confirm, air-to-air, air-to-ground, ground-to-ground, ground-to-air)
• Thunder Knuckle cancels on hit or whiff; Thunder Knuckles for positioning
• Burn Kick Feints x N amount of times (QCB+ATK in air, Feint )
• Air Combo reset (j.MMH – double jump – j.L x Burn Kick L xx Feint – Grab)
• Assist Confirms
• EX Chains (EX Thunder Knuckle xx EX Seismo; EX Seismo xx EX Burn Kick)
• Post Grab combos
• Optic Laser xx EX Seismo
• Staircase Loop (Burn Kick – Feint – j.H – j.S, repeat as necessary)
• Focus Attack Unblockable setups with Assists
• Burst Time/Emergency Combination xx XFC – Burn Kick continuations

I hope this at least sparks some interest.

Dahbomb

The Iron Man training regimen is twice as long as that.

It's still incomplete by most players though I guess that applies to those 3 characters as well.

It's still incomplete by most players though I guess that applies to those 3 characters as well.

Shouldn't ease of use count into the equation for the character to be a good character? I don't know how good a character is if you have to do put 304023028 hours into him just to be competent.

Dahbomb

It's a factor but there isn't anything about IM that can't be done by a normal player with some dedication. Viper and Jill are harder to play than IM IMO. The way to make IM competitive is to explore all his options and tools and know when to use what. Stuff like have 3 different types of j H is what I mean.

The problem is that IM no matter how good he is can't match Magneto and Doom at his level best. The best IM player in the universe can only take him to a spot where he can be deemed upper mid at best. Lack of easy/abusable tools and mediocre movement holds him back.

Shouldn't ease of use count into the equation for the character to be a good character? I don't know how good a character is if you have to do put 304023028 hours into him just to be competent.
Morrigan.

Tried to write up what I could remember of the Viper and Strider training list but didn't get too much. Keep in mind my own level with the characters when you see this though. Here you go:

I hope this at least sparks some interest.
Hmm, what are you looking for as a response to this?

Azure J

I'll definitely take your word for it regarding Iron Man. :lol

The idea though isn't so much completion for these things as much as making a "newbies guide to training with your team members" that coves stuff from the basics to the advanced things with notes on little things one should try to get down into muscle memory. If anything, it's a community effort to instill character fundamentals while continuing to look up new tech here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom