• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic

http://pichars.org/store/8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

I swear to god I would be playing that team if Sentinel wasn't so meh.
Honestly, Drones was half the reason I was getting hit - the other being Firebrand's airthrow and Bon Voyage having a ton of range - but I know what you mean. I'm not a big fan of playing the robot, unless he's backed by Jam Session. Then he gets kind of fun.

If I were in your situation, I'd be grateful just because I don't have to see the same ZMC with a Zero that can't lightning loop (or finish combos), steals all my Dante stuff, and cleans up with easy mode Dark Vergil all the time.

/omega-salt
Well, at least with Zero there's that QTE where you might be able to block him on incoming. Firebrand/Iron-Man is just a really long, drawn out cutscene of your entire team dying.

*Sees Spider-Man top 10 in point ability* *Sees Spider-Man above Spencer*

...looks like they're learning.
I thought of you when I saw Chrisis' tier list, haha.

shaowebb

Ya know the more I think about it the gladder I am that Ghost Rider has such mad chip ability because otherwise theres not much other damage coming from him because he's pretty scoutable. If he could use assists to keep you at full screen and scout teleporters better he could be really irritating. The guy is just too punishable though once you get in past any moves.

Fun to watch the old clips of Combofiend/Mike Ross screwing around with Gold Armor Hsien Ko assist and GR though. I loved hearing them sing during level 3.

I miss Mike Ross. :(

Tirael

I'm here asking for something a bit funnier though. Anyone here make training mode playlists they listen to while dicking around in the lab?

I'm learning SSFIV: AE right now, and I extremely depend on audio cues for when the timing of stuff should be. I haven't played Marvel for quite long enough to want to listen to something else while in training mode.

People were actually trying to argue that Tatsu isn't good because not a lot of characters can take advantage of it.... ROFL! All the characters that I have played in Marvel can take advantage of Tatsu.

Uhhhhhhhh

An assist that comes out quite fast, has projectile nullification, locks down on block, can easily convert to combo on hit...

Justin Wong had us fooled from day 1.

If I were in your situation, I'd be grateful just because I don't have to see the same ZMC with a Zero that can't lightning loop (or finish combos), steals all my Dante stuff, and cleans up with easy mode Dark Vergil all the time.
It sounds like your brother sucks with his non-Vergil characters, which makes me wonder why you aren't snapping Vergil in.

Dahbomb

It doesn't quite convert into combos that easily anymore but yea I think some of the people on SRK are smoking some serious shit if they don't have Tatsu in at least their top 5 assists in the game.

Tatsu also keeps Viper in check. I have full faith in Vergil + Tatsu being the best "counter" to Viper in the game minus some keep away team.

Azure J

Blah

Things of Note:
- First part of the video was an experiment to try and save the wall bounce after a lv.2 Stinger with Burn Kick assist.
- I tried to demonstrate that Air Trick xx Devil Trigger thing I talked about a while back, but don't know if there's any real tech application for it.
- Tried to grind out a meter build BnB with Viper burn kick assist. Idea is to do the new stuff with Dante (s.MH Stinger Volcano j.H Air Play j.H s.S Clay Pigeon Prop Shredder Acid Rain j.H Hammer) then Volcano into TK Crystal/Million Carats for a full launcher clay pigeon shot rep.
- Tried (and failed) to apply my Twister theory to Morridoom stuff.
- Got hype from the music playing and my alts team. :lol
- I'll do something with a real structure soon.

It sounds like your brother sucks with his non-Vergil characters, which makes me wonder why you aren't snapping Vergil in.

My entry mixups haven't been as airtight as I'd like and Helm Splitter is an instant "nope" response to all that if even one element is missing. Feels fucking wonderful when it does work though, although then I have to deal with Zero. That character is a massive battle of attrition for me.

1) Fuck that new Viper tech

2) Xero did a combo vid earlier showcasing Spidey and with Sent/Doom he can get meter less kills with web loops so I agree with Chrisis

3) I told everybody Jam Session was better than HM but nobody listened to me

HM works amazing with certain characters but not all characters where Tatsu can fit in any strategy so I can see that.

Jam session just goes with everybody.

And? It eats projectiles, lockdowns, AAs. Can combo extend, sets up incoming mix ups/unblockables, cuts the screen in half which effects tridashers.

Just a much better all around assist. HM with keepaway teams and certain characters(Wright/Spidey) is bonkers but Jam session has much more universal usage.

Dahbomb

HM does at least half of that stuff too. None of those things is as powerful as being a combo breaker.

Tatsu has all of those properties too but instead of vertical it gives horizontal coverage.

Yes but it is not as UNIVERSAL and Tatsu doesn't eat as nearly much projectiles. You can also escape HM unblockables. When HM is paired with Hawkeye/Dorm/Morrigan or other char who likes to fill the screen with projectiles, then HM is then equal to jam session since its weaknesses are covered by said character and HM cover there blind spots.

Jam session cuts the screen effectively in half where you can dodge HM and use reset with grabs and snapback to avoid the HM breaker. As shown by Yipes and such.

Dahbomb

What good is cutting the screen in half when Dorm, Viper or Hawkeye are zoning you from full screen away? Or when Wolverine and Vergil are breathing down your neck? You are over stating the universal aspect of Jam Session in a game that is still played mostly near the ground. Jam Session would've been the best assist in Mvc2 but this ain't Mvc2.

Jam Session doesn't get you in. In a game where rushdown is king that is not as useful as Tatsu assist.

Those "counters" against HM are highly situational.

Wolvie if you can survive the beginning of the match, Jam session helps. Jam session eats HM which allows you to open the holes. I said tridashers. And normal dashers of course since they have a much more linear approach, which is very important.

And no I am not overselling Jam session.

And? It eats projectiles, lockdowns, AAs. Can combo extend, sets up incoming mix ups/unblockables, cuts the screen in half which effects tridashers.

Just a much better all around assist. HM with keepaway teams and certain characters(Wright/Spidey) is bonkers but Jam session has much more universal usage.

Hidden Missiles does those too.

Dahbomb

I am merely contending Jam Session as #1 assist in the game. I think it's a top tier assist no worse than #5 best assist in the game. But I don't think it's better than Tatsu or HM.

Bestiers

It doesn't quite convert into combos that easily anymore but yea I think some of the people on SRK are smoking some serious shit if they don't have Tatsu in at least their top 5 assists in the game.

1. Hidden Missiles
  2. EMD
  3. Drones
  4. Shocking Pink
  5. Web Ball

Nope, don't see it anywhere.

Tatsu also keeps Viper in check. I have full faith in Vergil + Tatsu being the best "counter" to Viper in the game minus some keep away team.

One of the reasons Magneto is so good is he is strong against viper, zero and firebrand.

This is surprisingly not terrible, and does a better job of explaining why certain characters aren't picked than tier lists.

Some of the placements are very confusing, though. How is Frank West selfish? Sure, you want to level him up, but he's a great team player.

Deadpool is extremely selfish.

Felicia is a team player.

Nemesis is selfish (what does he offer a team?).

Thor is a team player.

Zero is less selfish than C. Viper. He has better assists and DHC hypers.

No way is Dormammu above Wesker, even a bit, on the "Getting/Minimizing Hits" scale.

shaowebb

So CVS 2 just released as a PS2 classic on Japanese PSN and it got me thinking...with Capcom's lineup having changed so much from 2001 who would be likely roster from them to ever make it into a mythical CVS3?

I'm guessing Chris Redfield could come over, but something in me says DmC guys are so OP they'd have to stay Marvel or come across so nerfed as to feel entirely different in those kind of matchups. Frank West seems doable to me still along With Jill and Nemesis both, but not likley Wesker unless they changed him a whole lot given his gun + teleport would seem pretty OP in that game that was pretty purist. Again someone more of a Marvel taste than CVS IMO is all...

Who all seems like a fit for any new CVS stuff should it occur given how much Capcom's roster has changed to you guys?

Capcom vs. SNK3 should only include characters from fighting games. I'm purposely excluding peeps from the Vs. series like Chris or Frank West since they aren't fighters.

Basically, keep the wacky characters in Marvel, and leave the professionals for CvS.

smurfx

get some go again
Capcom vs. SNK3 should only include characters from fighting games. I'm purposely excluding peeps from the Vs. series like Chris or Frank West since they aren't fighters.

Basically, keep the wacky characters in Marvel, and leave the professionals for CvS.
haggar in cvs3 would make me buy it.

shaowebb

I agree with both of these. I'd actually want Tizoc in from snk's crew for another grappler. That or Clark. Raiden's fun and all with his mist and cool priority in newer games and he was apparently broken with his dropkick in 12, but I just love Tizoc and Clark more. Clark's "Come at me Bro!" and Duffman outfit are so damned fun to see in action and Tizoc's clothesline is beautiful.

Be nice to get Poison in there too if for no other reason than someone with rekkas and a rising tackle to faceoff against SNK who live by those staples in so many movesets. I wonder who would make it from SFVIAE? I figure Juri would be a lock. Nice matchup to have vs King IMO for a taste of her own medicine.

I wonder who would make it from SFVIAE? I figure Juri would be a lock. Nice matchup to have vs King IMO for a taste of her own medicine.

I think that the current roster from SFxT (minus Tekken obv) would be a good starting point. Just remove a few of the SF characters and replace them with characters from some of Capcom's other fighters, and you've got a stew going etc.

Solune

I pray for CvS3 with 2D visuals on par with KoFXIII or even CvS2 every night. and then I find profound sadness.
I agree with both of these. I'd actually want Tizoc in from snk's crew for another grappler. That or Clark. Raiden's fun and all with his mist and cool priority in newer games and he was apparently broken with his dropkick in 12, but I just love Tizoc and Clark more. Clark's "Come at me Bro!" and Duffman outfit are so damned fun to see in action and Tizoc's clothesline is beautiful.

Be nice to get Poison in there too if for no other reason than someone with rekkas and a rising tackle to faceoff against SNK who live by those staples in so many movesets. I wonder who would make it from SFVIAE? I figure Juri would be a lock. Nice matchup to have vs King IMO for a taste of her own medicine.

From SNK I definitely would want more representation from non-KoF titles. Garou favorites like B.Jenet, Knushnood Butt, and of course Rock Howard. Andy's appearance in a CvS title, it also is weird that even though Vice is in Mature never made it.

Some of the placements are very confusing, though.

I start to lose my patience when I organize mid-tier characters ^_^

No way is Dormammu above Wesker, even a bit, on the "Getting/Minimizing Hits" scale.

I put him that high for inescapable chip hell and Dorm/Doom and teleport traps. Wesker is good at getting hits, but he needs resets out the wazoo. I also included Dorm on the minimizing hits section because of the xx stalking flare, purification x infinity assist killer DHC. I really do think Dorm is at least tied with Storm for best assist killer DHC, assuming your point character can set it up(like magneto).

Nemesis is selfish (what does he offer a team?).

Awesome ground bounce assist and one of the best THC hypers out there, plus high health!

Zero is less selfish than C. Viper. He has better assists and DHC hypers.

His install hyper is awesome, but C.Viper's soft knockdowns are too. You really think he has better assists? I always thought Thunder Knuckle was one of the most underrated assists in the game, and she's got a standard OTG and an overhead.

Deadpool is extremely selfish.

Felicia is a team player.

You're probably right, I should move them.

Thor is a team player.

I want to believe ;_;

Mighty Spark is underrated and the Mighty Punish DHC punishes are just epic.Spiral swords? I got two meters, time to mighty punish DHC into Dante's devil trigger and punish your ass.

mr. puppy

Banned
Its really strange how this game is beginning to balance itself out. Its so fucking broken but all the broken things kinda just cancel each other.....

First we had TODs leading to massive bitching
Then Dark Wesker
Then Bullet Hell from early 2012 (morrigan and to a lesser extent kusoru)
Then Dark Phoenix rendered almost useless by Japanese tech
Then all the infinites that were going to supposedly ruin the game (but thankfully everyones execution is ass at tourneys).

I wonder whats next for this game.

Zissou

Its really strange how this game is beginning to balance itself out. Its so fucking broken but all the broken things kinda just cancel each other.....

First we had TODs leading to massive bitching
Then Dark Wesker
Then Bullet Hell from early 2012 (morrigan and to a lesser extent kusoru)
Then Dark Phoenix rendered almost useless by Japanese tech
Then all the infinites that were going to supposedly ruin the game (but thankfully everyones execution is ass at tourneys).

I wonder whats next for this game.

Some stuff that could be considered broken (though in marvel, what the hell does that even mean?) is stuff that has been explored in proof-of-concept type videos, but no top players have really given a serious try. What strong player has thoroughly explored the consistency winning with a 300% death loop firebrand team? Where is a team with whoever/reliable infinite character/x-23 that wins off the first hit because one hit = one dead character + 5 meters = double dirt nap on the remaining characters? Teams like these aren't even solely depended on the gimmick- I'm sure you could still design the team so that if you lose a character necessary for the gimmick, you'll be left with a strong remaining duo and still have a decent chance of winning the match anyway.

Things like Dark Wesker, Dark Pheonix (even before the Japanese tech), and bullet hell have proven counters. Dark Wesker simply wasn't that good, characters like Vergil are both excellent and deal with Phoenix, etc. etc.. I'm not ready to dismiss some of the other stuff until I see people give it a more honest chance. It took someone of Chris G's caliber to turn Morrigan from a not especially strong pick into something that people thought might dominate and shape the metagame.

I start to lose my patience when I organize mid-tier characters ^_^
It shows.

I put him that high for inescapable chip hell and Dorm/Doom and teleport traps. Wesker is good at getting hits, but he needs resets out the wazoo. I also included Dorm on the minimizing hits section because of the xx stalking flare, purification x infinity assist killer DHC. I really do think Dorm is at least tied with Storm for best assist killer DHC, assuming your point character can set it up(like magneto).
Wesker has a command grab, though. That alone makes him much, much better at opening people up than Dormammu. Very few characters can do the anti-assist setup you're mentioning for Dormammu.

Awesome ground bounce assist and one of the best THC hypers out there, plus high health!
Nova has an awesome ground bounce assist. Nemesis has a mediocre one. His rocket launcher hyper...who is it really good for?

His install hyper is awesome, but C.Viper's soft knockdowns are too. You really think he has better assists? I always thought Thunder Knuckle was one of the most underrated assists in the game, and she's got a standard OTG and an overhead.
Hadangeki assist is really good when doubled up. I'm not clear on why Thunder Knuckle is better than Ryuenjin. The install hyper is also there for self DHCs, something C. Viper doesn't have.

I want to believe ;_;
Mighty Smash is the best crossover counter in the game, and is a fantastic assist. Mighty Spark is a decent beam assist. I think he's a good team player. Mighty Smash even causes a hard knockdown. It leaves your opponent vulnerable so long that if you do OTG Flame Carpet + Mighty Smash, Dormammu actually has time to charge 3 Dark Spells and unleash 3D0C. To my knowledge, no other assist lets him do that. It would be interesting to try and run Thor/Strange and see what kind of utility comes from 3 Graces of Hoggoth being set up from Mighty Smash mid combo (you could blow all 3 Ms up for big damage, or set up 3 Ls for a laser).

I think something like Thor/Strange, and then Arthur or Iron Man, would make for a good team.

LakeEarth

DHC or THC? I've never thought about how it functions as a THC. If your point character's hyper ends quick (or x-factor cancel), I could see the gap between rockets and the stomp being an opportune time for a mixup.

It's a great hyper to DHC from though, as you end up in the corner. Rocket hyper DHC Gamma Crush does an incredible amount of damage.

Where is a team with whoever/reliable infinite character/x-23 that wins off the first hit because one hit = one dead character + 5 meters = double dirt nap on the remaining characters?

I don't get how that would actually work since you would have to X Factor level 1. What combo could you do to kill the second character before X factor runs out and you're unable to follow up on your final dirtnap?

I still play Phoenix even with all the counters Capcom added. I like her a lot, plus I suck so I need to get cheap wins somehow.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get how that would actually work since you would have to X Factor level 1. What combo could you do to kill the second character before X factor runs out and you're unable to follow up on your final dirtnap?

Dirt nap -> ankle slicer -> launch -> air stuff -> ankle slicer relaunch courtesy of x-factor -> whatever = kill in most cases.

shaowebb

Right now people are complaining about Vergil and most of have seen the power of Viper but at least respect her execution.

NEGRO PLEASE!!!!!

Web Ball was listed because it gives your combos DHC glitch style damage scale removal. Shocking pink for them insane resets etc etc etc.

I want to believe in Spidey getting more play considering all he can do on his own with a good assist and that he gives anyone able to start their own offense this kind of stuff. Zero Spidey Dante?

Dirt nap -> ankle slicer -> launch -> air stuff -> ankle slicer relaunch courtesy of x-factor -> whatever = kill in most cases.

That's 3/4meter + x-factor on one character. I think what the other guy was trying to say is how do you get 4/5 meters after killing the first character and and still be able to TOD the following two character with a dirt nap starting off.

If you use x-factor level 1 to kill the first character then you save the meter, but then how do you kill the next two characters? Since you no longer have x-factor.

That's 3/4meter + x-factor on one character. I think what the other guy was trying to say is how do you get 4/5 meters after killing the first character and and still be able to TOD the following two character with a dirt nap starting off.

If you use x-factor level 1 to kill the first character then you save the meter, but then how do you kill the next two characters? Since you no longer have x-factor.

No, theoretically the infinite would kill their first character and give you 5 meters. I'm trying to figure out how to kill their second character fast enough to have X Factor (level 1) left over for the final dirtnap followup.

No, theoretically the infinite would kill their first character and give you 5 meters. I'm trying to figure out how to kill their second character fast enough to have X Factor (level 1) left over for the final dirtnap followup.

Oh using infinite (good luck with doing that consistently...)

Well if you catch then with raw dirt nap then you have access to two assist so that shouldn't be hard.

NEGRO PLEASE!!!!!

LOL

DHC or THC? I've never thought about how it functions as a THC. If your point character's hyper ends quick (or x-factor cancel), I could see the gap between rockets and the stomp being an opportune time for a mixup.

It's a great hyper to DHC from though, as you end up in the corner. Rocket hyper DHC Gamma Crush does an incredible amount of damage.

THC

It shows.
D:

Wesker has a command grab, though. That alone makes him much, much better at opening people up than Dormammu. Very few characters can do the anti-assist setup you're mentioning for Dormammu.
Dormammu is pretty good at both opening and minimizing hits, wesker is only good at one of them. The second point isn't really something that matters to me.

Mighty Smash is the best crossover counter in the game, and is a fantastic assist. Mighty Spark is a decent beam assist. I think he's a good team player. Mighty Smash even causes a hard knockdown. It leaves your opponent vulnerable so long that if you do OTG Flame Carpet + Mighty Smash, Dormammu actually has time to charge 3 Dark Spells and unleash 3D0C. To my knowledge, no other assist lets him do that. It would be interesting to try and run Thor/Strange and see what kind of utility comes from 3 Graces of Hoggoth being set up from Mighty Smash mid combo (you could blow all 3 Ms up for big damage, or set up 3 Ls for a laser).

I <3 Mighty Smash, I always forget it does a hard knockdown.

Hadangeki assist is really good when doubled up. I'm not clear on why Thunder Knuckle is better than Ryuenjin. The install hyper is also there for self DHCs, something C. Viper doesn't have.

Thunder Knuckle is a beast crossover counter.

Nova has an awesome ground bounce assist. Nemesis has a mediocre one. His rocket launcher hyper...who is it really good for?

It's a lot like Elements and Million Dollars, great TAC hyper for mixups and such.

Dormammu is pretty good at both opening and minimizing hits, wesker is only good at one of them. The second point isn't really something that matters to me.
Wesker is better at minimizing hits than Dormammu. Fucker can jump and teleport around shooting gunshots all day.

Thunder Knuckle is a beast crossover counter.
Yeah, but that's all.

It's a lot like Elements and Million Dollars, great TAC hyper for mixups and such.
Who can use it? Okami Shuffle and Million Dollars last a long time. I don't think Biohazard Assault lasts nearly as long, and you can chicken block every single shot, unlike the other two options.

Dahbomb

Wesker can't jump teleport and shoot all day. Characters like Wolverine, Felicia, Magneto and X23 get easy in on that. Characters still have to respect Flame Carpet and charged spells, nothing of Wesker demands respect as far as rushdown characters are concerned.

Wesker with Vanilla counter was a different story though.

Anybody with a good wavedash or a teleport.
No, because most hypers don't resolve fast enough to make good use of the rockets. So whose does?

Wesker can't jump teleport and shoot all day. Characters like Wolverine, Felicia, Magneto and X23 get easy in on that. Characters still have to respect Flame Carpet and charged spells, nothing of Wesker demands respect as far as rushdown characters are concerned.

Wesker with Vanilla counter was a different story though.
You have to play tight even when in front of Wesker, though. If you're in on Dormammu, you get to have a field day. Dormammu also moves slower than Wesker and basically doesn't have a dash. No way is Dormammu hard to hit just because of Flame Carpet. Plus he has a huge hitbox, and people tend to underplay how important that is.

Azure J

VIPER IS THE FUCKING BEST. I see it now. This is the team I should have played from Day 1. Jam Session unblockables are amazing. Switching the order of assist calls during a Viper combo to make a net gin of 800K+ on average is playing with cheat codes. Saying "fuck you" to zoning, knockdown states post hit and even left right teleport shenanigans is a godsend. It's as if the character is designed for defensive play/she's the anti-Mahvel. As soon as I figure out approaching/zoning out Zero this game is over. [/Doom]

And when all else fails, I have my favorite duo period to throw blows with afterwards. Team Spy May Stride for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom