• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but with that team Strider does the same thing as Doom, at least for Hawkeye.

With Ammy assist I was thinking that if I'm cornered just st. M with Cold Star then jump out of the corner for free.

Also I might be able to get 2 Poison Tips in a combo with Hawkeye with Cold Star, though I haven't tested it yet.
You're the Hawkeye master, so maybe you know: are there any projectiles that can survive Spritzer? I know nothing beats Spritzer, but maybe something that goes through it? I'm thinking about a zoning team, but it's hard to make those when Spritzer beats everything. So, is there anything that semi-cuts-even with it or something? Or maybe goes above/below it so they don't interract? Especially assists.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Chris's stupid QCF H trades.

And by trade I mean go through each other.

Though they might not even be touching each other since I'm not sure of the hitbox on Chris's move.

I know nothing beats Spritzer, but maybe something that goes through it? I'm thinking about a zoning team, but it's hard to make those when Spritzer beats everything. So, is there anything that semi-cuts-even with it or something?

Let's me think...

Maya shield can survive it
PW's Cell phone can go through it but you will still get hit by it
Chris's prone shot will dodge it and hit but a little slow on start up
Ammi's Cold Star maybe?
Nemesis Rocket might trade/miss spritzer but it sounds unpractical
Frank zombie maybe?
HK's gold armor assist would definitely go through
C Viper seismo's trade
Dr Strange Eye of Agamotto maybe?

Anyway best zoning team IMO is Hawkeye, Taskmaster and Doom. Hawkeye's fast shooting projectile mixup's backed by more Taskmaster's arrows means huge block strings, huge chip and huge projectile duribility. Then there's hidden missiles too. Or maybe switch Doom out for a defensive option of maybe like Hulk's anti air assist so that even if your opponent does get it he has to deal with that too.

Dahbomb

Blah!

I wanted to make a dedicated Iron Man zoning team, but I can't think of how to beat a Hawkeye team with him.
IM zoning team..... against Hawkeye...

iGk1pIhhxLMm8.gif

I went to my local scene to play some Marvel with that new team I was talking about. Some guy was playing Hawkeye/Strider. Couldn't beat his Hawkeye with that team and obviously it can't beat Hawkeye. IM + Sentinel gets beat by Hawkeye convincingly, he doesn't even need an assist. I also got harassed by a Deadpool Strider player plenty. I am thinking against dedicated zoning teams I will be playing Vergil.

Azure J

Hawkeye's Speedshot is ridiculous. Faster than even EMD L version.

The best way to tell a good Hawkeye from one derping around with him is almost entirely dependent on how often they use Speed Shot and Triple Piercing. Shit is dumb as FUUUUUUUUCK.

Only change necessary to make Hawkeye Koryu would be to make these hit low and high respectively, that's how good/dumb they are. :lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I've told you guys before!

People have tried to out zone me with IM/Sent/Doom before and it just does not work because of Piercing Bolt.

I may have to take a bit of chip to find an opening for it since there's some startup on it. But once I find that opening it's done.

I really need to start playing point Hawkeye again. Been playing to much Ryu.

Does Hsien-Ko's gong reflect it?
Someone told me it does, but the gong is the M version anyway. It only lasts for 60 frames, so you're not going to be able to keep momentum with that. Really, Hsien-ko should have a special version of that for her assist that travels full screen length. That would be badass, and I would 100% put her on my main team for that alone.

IM zoning team..... against Hawkeye...

I went to my local scene to play some Marvel with that new team I was talking about. Some guy was playing Hawkeye/Strider. Couldn't beat his Hawkeye with that team and obviously it can't beat Hawkeye. IM + Sentinel gets beat by Hawkeye convincingly, he doesn't even need an assist. I also got harassed by a Deadpool Strider player plenty. I am thinking against dedicated zoning teams I will be playing Vergil.
How did you place?

I think Deadpool/Strider is good, too. I tried it online and was reasonably pleased. I'm surprised no one has picked it up. Deadpool/Dante/Strider seems perfect to me. Deadpool gives Dante those unblockable resets, too.

There must be some way to make an Iron Man zoning team work...

You could always throw Dr. Strange in for the projectile counter hyper and Tac combos I guess.
The projectile counter hyper won't work because Hawkeye will recover before the beam hits. It's pretty much only good for countering other hypers or predicting projectiles. Even when you do use it to counter other hypers, you tend to just get baited by something like Shinkuu Hadoken -> Bionic Arm. -_-

Also, I won't even pretend I'll ever be able to do FotF loops.

Dahbomb

There's a DP + Strider player here who also plays Modok or Doom in second slot.

I only played some casuals to get back in shape, tournament is next week. There were people here who could do Lightning Loop and swag Dante combos so people know how to play. I am hoping to run into some of these scrub Wolverine or Doom players to boost my confidence. As long as I don't do 0-2 I will be fine.

IM + Doom or Sentinel is a respectable zoning team. IM with Strider or Dante is legit too. Against a Hawkeye team I would just counterpick.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What about an opponent who uses Dr. Strange backed by Unibeam? If I ran Iron Man / Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk), maybe I could swap characters based on the opposing team, and Dr. Strange can be anti-zoning while Iron Man is anti-rushdown?

Yeah I guess that could work. Not necessarily a counter but better than trying to outzone.

IM is hardly anti rushdown but that duo is solid if you have the execution.
Repulsor Blast is one of the best anti-rushdown tools in the game. It shuts down tridashing, teleports, and command dashes. I think Iron Man is right up there with Doom in being one of the game's best turtles.

Azure J

OK, here's something weird I just noticed. Why is it that when doing Stinger Lvl. 2 off a Cold Shower/Clay Pigeon/Scat Shot, you can do a bold canceled Snap Back but you can't do a BC Snap Back from a regular Stinger?

So weird.

@Marz: Iron Man is the new Hsien-Ko (or perhaps the new Ultimate Dante?), a character everyone wants to make work (out of sheer like/love) at a higher level than what's assumed.

Dahbomb

Repulsor Blast is one of the best anti-rushdown tools in the game. It shuts down tridashing, teleports, and command dashes. I think Iron Man is right up there with Doom in being one of the game's best turtles.
I think to be truly anti rushdown you need a super fast reversal or super armored moves with high priority. When I think of anti rushdown character I think of Haggar, Hulk, Chun Li and Viper.

Repulsar is IMs best tool though.

You guys love Iron Man huh? Swear like every page has at least a little something about him lol
Everyone wants to make the "low tier" characters work. A lot of new tech is coming out for him recently, too.

Edit: Also, I actually like Iron Man's playstyle and moveset. I just hate the person in the suit.

I think to be truly anti rushdown you need a super fast reversal or super armored moves with high priority. When I think of anti rushdown character I think of Haggar, Hulk and Viper.

Maybe we can agree on this way of thinking about it:
Haggar, Hulk, and Viper are anti-rushdown at close range, in the sense that even while next to them, you have to watch your step.
Iron Man is anti-rushdown at mid-range, in the sense that you have to be very careful about how you get in on him.

Also, Iron Man's hypers do hit on frame 3 up close - that's not bad, especially for THC reversals if you can make a good one.

Frantic

OK, here's something weird I just noticed. Why is it that when doing Stinger Lvl. 2 off a Cold Shower/Clay Pigeon/Scat Shot, you can do a bold canceled Snap Back but you can't do a BC Snap Back from a regular Stinger?

So weird.
You can do it from both. I've done it before. It's just harder from a normal Stinger as a opposed to a Stinger lvl.2. Not entirely sure why, but I think the hitstop is different on the Stinger lvl.2, making it easier. Could be wrong, though.

For a normal Stinger, you have to buffer the Bold Cancel, then execute the Snapback on the prejump frames. You can't buffer it, and have to time it instead.

smurfx

get some go again
I think to be truly anti rushdown you need a super fast reversal or super armored moves with high priority. When I think of anti rushdown character I think of Haggar, Hulk, Chun Li and Viper.

i love it when people think they are now in the game when they finally get close to me but only to be hit in the face with lariat. you can tell a lot of people don't have too much experience with lariat assist because i can get away with murder sometimes.

Azure J

You can do it from both. I've done it before. It's just harder from a normal Stinger as a opposed to a Stinger lvl.2. Not entirely sure why, but I think the hitstop is different on the Stinger lvl.2, making it easier. Could be wrong, though.

For a normal Stinger, you have to buffer the Bold Cancel, then execute the Snapback on the prejump frames. You can't buffer it, and have to time it instead.

I knew there was some trick to it. It's funny how many things you take for granted until you sit down and lock it into your mind why X results in Y in this game. I thought I lost the ability to do this nd Rapid Seismos recently when what had actually happened in both situations was me not realizing this for raw Stinger - BC Snap and doing inputs too fast before the button press for the latter. :p

@Smurfx - My problem is two fold against Haggar. I try to bait lariat and don't remember how invincible or how to hit it when it's out, and dealing with walk up grab pressure at match start. Nothing I hate more than a knockdown beginning of the match, especially since everyone goes for oki over combos lately. :p

smurfx

get some go again
@Smurfx - My problem is two fold against Haggar. I try to bait lariat and don't remember how invincible or how to hit it when it's out, and dealing with walk up grab pressure at match start. Nothing I hate more than a knockdown beginning of the match, especially since everyone goes for oki over combos lately. :p
a lot of people think ducking haggar is all they have to do but they forget i can then throw their asses if lariat isn't connecting at all with them. lately i've been really working hard on my throws with haggar. in particular ground throws.

mr. puppy

Banned
oh new team update.

vergil/strange/ammy is now on 'Good' on the scale. I had some training dummies set to Morridoom bullshit and strange deals with that stuff surprisingly better than doom.

I think it loses to rushdown harder than doom/ammy though.

When strange is in, its kinda nice have vergil's assist to push people to the other side of the screen and cold star in order to help me set up strange stuff. Of course, then I get divekicked and lose.

edit: originally accidentally posted in seasons beatings thread

oh new team update.

vergil/strange/ammy is now on 'Good' on the scale. I had some training dummies set to Morridoom bullshit and strange deals with that stuff surprisingly better than doom.

I think it loses to rushdown harder than doom/ammy though.

When strange is in, its kinda nice have vergil's assist to push people to the other side of the screen and cold star in order to help me set up strange stuff. Of course, then I get divekicked and lose.

edit: originally accidentally posted in seasons beatings thread
How is the Strange/Ammy THC?

Watching Dieminion vs Frutsy made me wonder, just what should you do when Joe hits you with slow? Just pray you don't get hit by the overhead?
It's a free 50/50. There's nothing you can do about it unless Joe has no meter and you have an invincible hyper to mash out, or you both have meter and you have priority or can X-Factor/DHC to beat out Mach Speed. It's a pretty favorable situation for Joe, as it should be since he's spending 1 bar on a reset.

Well I guess that's true. I'm guessing trying to upback is not a good idea during slow then?
It's not a bad idea after the mix-up, but Joe has frame advantage after Slow IIRC. Let me check...

Yeah, Viewtiful God Hand leaves Joe at +3. His c.L is 5 frames, and his overhead is 13 frames. So, if you try to chicken block, you risk eating c.L.

mr. puppy

Banned
How is the Strange/Ammy THC?

it clears the screen nicely and strange can teleport to the character, but i'm still not sure. i never liked blowing 2 meters on thcs but maybe this one will work fine.

i'm spending more time trying to figure out if chipping people is worth doing with this team.

it clears the screen nicely and strange can teleport to the character, but i'm still not sure. i never liked blowing 2 meters on thcs but maybe this one will work fine.

i'm spending more time trying to figure out if chipping people is worth doing with this team.
I just want to know if:
1) It combos.
2) Strange recovers in time for at least 1 mix-up.
3) If Okami Shuffle hits, if Dr. Strange can get a full combo from Grace of Hoggoth M, FotF.

I got 950k starting with s.L using Vergil and Dante. Using Doom would bring it up to 1.05m.
0 bars consumed? iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Frantic

I just want to know if:
1) It combos.
3) If Okami Shuffle hits, if Dr. Strange can get a full combo from Grace of Hoggoth M, FotF.
1) It does.
2) He can get multiple teleports, but there is only one real gap in Ammy's super left, so it's basically a fast, single guess between left/right.
3) He can teleport over and set down a EoA that they land on, or set down GoHs, but HSD is stretched pretty far and most combos will not work. His loops should work, though.

Azure J

Just want to put this out here as well since Darksim makes guest appearances here (but its open for anyone to answer):

In your dash up Dante midscreen combos involving Prop Shredder, is there a certain trick to getting the dash up S ~ Clay Pigeon - Prop Shredder without having them get put out of range for shots to connect? I'm guessing it's something related to how long the delay is with the second j.H, am I right?

schwupp

what was capcom thinking giving players the option to reset their rank?
can you fuck up your own matchmaking even worse? retards...

LakeEarth

And, when your slowed character comes back in, it's not going to be pretty if you're on the defensive, haha.

I would love to see Desk try a combo video where both your assists are slowed, changing the timings of them. Might be some sick stuff there. Assists that were block strings aren't anymore, allowing for some neat setups.

mr. puppy

Banned
I just want to know if:
1) It combos.

It does combo and you can set up some mixups. The problem is that b/c its a knockdown from okami you need to prepare to set up your OTG, which is a problem mid match for me so far. Strange does recover in time for a teleport mixup, which is nicely covered by all the shit flying around. For added shwag, choose a color for him that can blend with the Okami shuffle colors.

At the moment, I'm working on the stuff in this Vergil/Strange synergy video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ibr4hkvmEM&feature=plcp

(and also realizing hidden missiles will obviously make this team better :(

I've posted like 10 combos around the same damage with spencer in this thread. Basically it goes something like:

LM2H xx zip, LMH xx Up Grapple, Bionic Bomber, MHS sjc Up Grapple, A1(Vergil), Bionic Bomber, S sjc Up Grapple, A2(Doom), Up Grapple, S sjc Up Grapple, OTG Air Grapple, zip, zip, Up Grapple, Bionic Bomber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom