• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

I didn't discover it, I've just seen Mamespider do it several times, so it must work. Maybe it has a very brief cancellation period like Dante's j.S?

Sometimes I forget I play Vergil, too.

It's not brief, it's on contact. That's why when people are chickenblocking you either cancel into s.S or Rising Sun.

List the characters you would build your main team around if your main were not in the game.

For me:
1) Super-Skrull
2) Phoenix
3) Morrigan
4) Deadpool
5) Strider
6) Dr. Strange
7) Ghost Rider

It makes me realize that while I would be upset if Dormammu were in MvC4, I would likely find some other characters to enjoy playing as. Funny that while I enjoy playing my current team, neither of my secondary characters are my first choice to master.

If I had to make teams with all of these guys, they'd look like this:

Firebrand/Skrull/Sentinel
Deadpool/Vergil/Strider
Ghost Rider/Dr. Strange/Haggar
Morrigan/Dante/Rocket Raccoon
Phoenix/Hulk/Sentinel

It's not brief, it's on contact. That's why when people are chickenblocking you either cancel into s.S or Rising Sun.
Are both of those safe blockstrings?

List the characters you would build your main team around if your main were not in the game.

My character will always be in, one of the benefits of playing the company's flagship character #Kappa

Definitely X-23 though. Only X-person I actually like, they're kinda overplayed and angsty. Barring anyone from my main team, it'd be Roo, Iron Man, or the Captain. Dem alpha males.

Solune

1: Strider
2: Captain America
3: Spiderman
4: Morrigan
5: Frank West
6: Magneto
7: Jill

I just don't have the execution for most of these characters. I tried Spiderman so many times but I'm just ass. It's a shame since I always pick him in any Marvel game including MvC2.

As long as they don't push block immediately and you are able to go into Upper Slash, s.S after should be safe. Rising Sun is pretty safe too provided you Trick after, but it's tricky timing on whiff.

shaowebb

Wow, good topic.

1. Ryu (I mained him in Vanilla and he got a lot of buffs. I only dropped him so I can build better Iron Fist teams)
  2. Chun Li (I tried using her a lot on point in Vanilla and she is a great character. The OTG and the right assist makes it pretty possible to use her and get some really good pressure and mixups with a good lockdown)
  3. Super Skrull (He grew on me and his combos are really fun.)
  4. Rocket Raccoon (First teleporter I ever liked using. His mixups are so easy compared to what I usually go through for them as a footsie player and godlike assist.)
  5. MODOK ( I ran him off and on as an assist or as an alt team favorite. I always loved the guy and his combos are a ton of fun. I love corner pressure guys)

Anything else would pretty much just be flavor of the week if I tried to build a team around them but these 5 kept coming back for me as favorites to play. I did enjoy using Spencer a lot though in Vanilla even though his links were friggin' harsh online to do to connect that armor piercer into his hyper after your air stuff ended. I liked using him with lockdown guys and Taskmaster and Sentinel worked pretty good with him when I used him back then.

My teams would likely be something like this though...

Chun/Ryu/Sentinel (ran this in Vanilla and it'd be a lot better now)

MODOK/Wolverine/Akuma (my first team had wolverine so I figure if Akuma is on to keep out dudes in trouble with MODOK then I may as well enjoy Wolverine+Akuma if I tag or tac out. MODOK would be on Beam assist incase they snapped in Akuma and killed him and Wolverine is on Berzerker barrage to try and push them around as MODOK sets up. Likely gonna switch him to berzerker slash though for the sneaky stuff)

MODOK/Viewtiful Joe/Rocket Raccoon (Log trap is a pretty irritating assist and I'd like to see how many folks I can hit with it that try to get in above MODOK. If it hits thats an easy combo for MODOK as it puts them in the perfect position for him to start marching them to a corner. Joe is on Voomerang duty so I can pop Analyze Cubes and still be safe versus a lot of zoning stuff given their durability. I may try shocking pink though for fun on occasion. Joe is mainly around because Redhot Kick+Log is delicious and because I'd like to try him with a Beam assist occasionally from MODOK)

Super Skrull/Taskmaster/Arthur (Similar to my Iron Fist team in cast, but I want Taskmaster on up arrows and Arthur on daggers. Daggers for durable projectiles to clear space and force jumps. Up arrows to screw with everyone since they are so annoying. May change them to parabolic though to cover more territory if I can't make a rhythm off of up arrows though. No real plan for this team, but I like using a lot of projectile assists and the team has pretty fair DHC options here. Likely needs Taskmaster on point instead of skrull though.)
I just don't have the execution for most of these characters. I tried Spiderman so many times but I'm just ass. It's a shame since I always pick him in any Marvel game including MvC2.

I'm in the same boat. I love his mobility and I love using him, but for the life of me I can't input his combos fast enough to land that DP in the air thats needed for spidey swing. If that move was input like Taskmaster's spidey swing I'd be cooking up teams off and on with him. Especially since he effectively puts DHC glitch back on deck for this game with his capture assist eliminating scaling.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'd love to play:

1) Iron Fist
2) Spider-Man
3) Chun

Spidey and Chun move weird as hell and my hands don't get it.

Iron Fist I could never figure out a team for. I still do want to make one though. After facing a pretty good one yesterday and seeing Justin Wong use him again I might try.

The team I faced yesterday was IF/Ryu/Frank, Ryu and Frank being 2 characters I sort of already play. I really liked the team but I don't think it can do crap to a character like Doom who can stay at the top of the screen.

Shao do you have any suggestions?

My character will always be in, one of the benefits of playing the company's flagship character #Kappa

Definitely X-23 though. Only X-person I actually like, they're kinda overplayed and angsty. Barring anyone from my main team, it'd be Roo, Iron Man, or the Captain. Dem alpha males.
Roo?

Still less than useful in 90% of your matchups, unfortunately. :-(

|OT3| All My Friends Are Doom Missiles
You Are Defeated!

I'd love to play:

1) Iron Fist
2) Spider-Man
3) Chun

Iron Fist I could never figure out a team for. I still do want to make one though. After facing a pretty good one yesterday and seeing Justin Wong use him again I might try.

The team I faced yesterday was IF/Ryu/Frank, Ryu and Frank being 2 characters I sort of already play. I really liked the team but I don't think it can do crap to a character like Doom who can stay at the top of the screen.

I think Shao and I agree that Iron Fist + Arthur daggers is really good. Actually, a team of Hawkeye/Iron Fist/Arthur would function really well, since Hawkeye can always get full combos off of Iron Fist's assist. That's what I would run, I think.

Wow, good topic.

1. Ryu (I mained him in Vanilla and he got a lot of buffs. I only dropped him so I can build better Iron Fist teams)
  2. Chun Li (I tried using her a lot on point in Vanilla and she is a great character. The OTG and the right assist makes it pretty possible to use her and get some really good pressure and mixups with a good lockdown)
  3. Super Skrull (He grew on me and his combos are really fun.)
  4. Rocket Raccoon (First teleporter I ever liked using. His mixups are so easy compared to what I usually go through for them as a footsie player and godlike assist.)
  5. MODOK ( I ran him off and on as an assist or as an alt team favorite. I always loved the guy and his combos are a ton of fun. I love corner pressure guys)

Anything else would pretty much just be flavor of the week if I tried to build a team around them but these 5 kept coming back for me as favorites to play. I did enjoy using Spencer a lot though in Vanilla even though his links were friggin' harsh online to do to connect that armor piercer into his hyper after your air stuff ended. I liked using him with lockdown guys and Taskmaster and Sentinel worked pretty good with him when I used him back then.

My teams would likely be something like this though...

Chun/Ryu/Sentinel (ran this in Vanilla and it'd be a lot better now)

MODOK/Wolverine/Akuma (my first team had wolverine so I figure if Akuma is on to keep out dudes in trouble with MODOK then I may as well enjoy Wolverine+Akuma if I tag or tac out. MODOK would be on Beam assist incase they snapped in Akuma and killed him and Wolverine is on Berzerker barrage to try and push them around as MODOK sets up. Likely gonna switch him to berzerker slash though for the sneaky stuff)

MODOK/Viewtiful Joe/Rocket Raccoon (Log trap is a pretty irritating assist and I'd like to see how many folks I can hit with it that try to get in above MODOK. If it hits thats an easy combo for MODOK as it puts them in the perfect position for him to start marching them to a corner. Joe is on Voomerang duty so I can pop Analyze Cubes and still be safe versus a lot of zoning stuff given their durability. I may try shocking pink though for fun on occasion. Joe is mainly around because Redhot Kick+Log is delicious and because I'd like to try him with a Beam assist occasionally from MODOK)

Super Skrull/Taskmaster/Arthur (Similar to my Iron Fist team in cast, but I want Taskmaster on up arrows and Arthur on daggers. Daggers for durable projectiles to clear space and force jumps. Up arrows to screw with everyone since they are so annoying. May change them to parabolic though to cover more territory if I can't make a rhythm off of up arrows though. No real plan for this team, but I like using a lot of projectile assists and the team has pretty fair DHC options here. Likely needs Taskmaster on point instead of skrull though.)
Were you watching the stream at all this weekend? You missed at least 20 quality matches with Iron Fist play.

I'm surprised more people haven't messed with MODOK teams that abuse his ability to call assists from way up high. Log Trap seems like a really good fit for him.

Dahbomb

Can that trick be used to beat the Bionic Arm?

If the invulnerability carried over and it was doable in a bigger window it would actually make that move useful.

shaowebb

I'd love to play:

1) Iron Fist
2) Spider-Man
3) Chun

Iron Fist is all about pressure and frame traps in the corner. Most of what you get isn't really gonna happen off mixups because he has so few and the only ones he can really get are by abusing things like maybe Strider assist or some other overhead. The problem is he only has one decent low so its more about trying to setup throws or tac-ing in the guy to finish your plate once you get in on a guy with someone else. With the right assist to lock them down or tie their hands incoming guys have it pretty rough if they can't get out of a corner Iron Fist is parked in front of.

Doom Missiles are good because they stop all offense or runaway against Iron Fist to give him enough time to capitolize and get in for the hit. One hit and he kills really easily so once again Doom is a good choice if you have him. Guys with a really strong zoning assist are a must though for Iron Fist as he needs a way to guarantee he can get across the screen horizontally.
Since he has no air dash he really can only start his offense in the air off of an air throw (which you will do a lot). He can cross people up with some of his jumping attacks, but to get in most times you need a good high priority projectile assist to cut through the BS people throw around so you can start getting rekkas off in their face to start frame traps and cornering. I use Arthur daggers which is honestly pretty good considering all its durability and that his wave dash plants him firmly inside the center dagger protecting him really well. No real DHC potential worth mentioning with these guys though unless you got fire dragon ready and in that case you could probably just finish your plate with Iron Fist using the one inch punch in those instances.

If you got a good Doom you may not need a beam as I've honestly seen a couple of dudes get by with just him stalling guys and interrupting their opponents enough for them to wave dash in and make something happen. I've seen a lot of Strider's with Iron Fist and it does give a mixup, but it gets REALLY predictable since he's about all you got. X-23 ankle slice is actually good to setup a high low once you got corner pressure to sort of alleviate his problem with being predictable with his only lows. I haven't really played around with those two together, but if you did I'd run X-23 on point and use the Rising Dragon assist to help cut off the screen for her and then use TAC's to Iron Fist to clean your plate once she gets things going.

Honestly, Iron Fist on second works better than Iron Fist on point since you get his awesome assist to aid whoever is up on point to start a combo with. His damage is enormous and he can finish a plate pretty well for folks. Worst Time I had was against a guy running Spencer/Iron Fist/Doom in that order. He did a combo with Spencer and TAC-ed to kill with Iron Fist and used wire grapple assist on my incoming character to setup a mixup. Either get grabbed and combo-ed to death or block and get pressured, likely opened up since pushblocking doesn't alleviate all Iron Fist's mind games and then reset to death or etc etc etc.

If you got good timing and feel you can capitolize off Doom enough not to need back up to get in horizontally go for it without a beam and look for synergy. Ryu does have great synergy with Iron Fist if the fist is using Crescent heel to extend his combos as they get great DHC's and tatsu helps pressure a lot in the corner since it screws up their pushblocking. However, it does create a very air vulnerable team. Choose a beam, dagger, or arrow if you can't get in otherwise put Iron Fist on second and TAC and use him to clean other dude's plates.

Because then you wouldn't go past Spencer and it's an easier punish?
Then you have to deal with the DHC mambo. :-/ I prefer to just get out safely...too many bad memories...

Iron Fist is all about pressure and frame traps in the corner. Most of what you get isn't really gonna happen off mixups because he has so few and the only ones he can really get are by abusing things like maybe Strider assist or some other overhead. The problem is he only has one decent low so its more about trying to setup throws or tac-ing in the guy to finish your plate once you get in on a guy with someone else. With the right assist to lock them down or tie their hands incoming guys have it pretty rough if they can't get out of a corner Iron Fist is parked in front of.

Doom Missiles are good because they stop all offense or runaway against Iron Fist to give him enough time to capitolize and get in for the hit. One hit and he kills really easily so once again Doom is a good choice if you have him. Guys with a really strong zoning assist are a must though for Iron Fist as he needs a way to guarantee he can get across the screen horizontally.
Since he has no air dash he really can only start his offense in the air off of an air throw (which you will do a lot), but to get in most times you need a good high priority projectile assist to cut through the BS people throw around so you can start getting rekkas off in their face to start frame traps and cornering. I use Arthur daggers which is honestly pretty good considering all its durability and that his wave dash plants him firmly inside the center dagger protecting him really well. No real DHC potential worth mentioning with these guys though unless you got fire dragon ready and in that case you could probably just finish your plate with Iron Fist using the one inch punch in those instances.

If you got a good Doom you may not need a beam as I've honestly seen a couple of dudes get by with just him stalling guys and interrupting their opponents enough for them to wave dash in and make something happen. I've seen a lot of Strider's with Iron Fist and it does give a mixup, but it gets REALLY predictable since he's about all you got. X-23 ankle slice is actually good to setup a high low once you got corner pressure to sort of alleviate his problem with being predictable with his only lows. I haven't really played around with those two together, but if you did I'd run X-23 on point and use the Rising Dragon assist to help cut off the screen for her and then use TAC's to Iron Fist to clean your plate once she gets things going.

Honestly, Iron Fist on second works better than Iron Fist on point since you get his awesome assist to aid whoever is up on point to start a combo with. His damage is enormous and he can finish a plate pretty well for folks. Worst Time I had was against a guy running Spencer/Iron Fist/Doom in that order. He did a combo with Spencer and TAC-ed to kill with Iron Fist and used wire grapple assist on my incoming character to setup a mixup. Either get grabbed and combo-ed to death or block and get pressured, likely opened up since pushblocking doesn't alleviate all Iron Fist's mind games and then reset to death or etc etc etc.

If you got good timing and feel you can capitolize off Doom enough not to need back up to get in horizontally go for it without a beam and look for synergy. Ryu does have great synergy with Iron Fist if the fist is using Crescent heel to extend his combos as they get great DHC's and tatsu helps pressure a lot in the corner since it screws up their pushblocking. However, it does create a very air vulnerable team. Choose a beam, dagger, or arrow if you can't get in otherwise put Iron Fist on second and TAC and use him to clean other dude's plates.
Fine, don't endorse my team suggestion, back my claims, or respond to my post! :p

FYI, Strider's Vajra isn't an overhead.

The problem with Hidden Missiles is that Hidden Missiles needs two things:
1) A way to ensure you can call the assist safely.
2) A way to protect Doom while he's doing his thing.

Iron Fist offers neither of these.

Azure J

Just to add a little bit of credit to shaowebb's stuff, my brother recently started playing Iron Fist/Nova/Hawkeye switching IF & Nova as necessary for my team. If you have godlike neutral control, even with assists he struggles to get in, but if he's in and you made a mistake? Dude puts the hurt on you and can't be pushblocked out. I'm also absolutely stunned at how much distance dude gets with a kara dash.

Tangent, I still hate the Genesis Sonic physics on Nova's air dash. Getting hit with the same triple arrow assist - ADF j.H made me feel like I just can't react in this game anymore. It's already bad enough that teching throws is fucking alien to me. :lol

For me:
1) Super-Skrull
2) Phoenix
3) Morrigan
4) Deadpool
5) Strider
6) Dr. Strange
7) Ghost Rider

It makes me realize that while I would be upset if Dormammu were in MvC4, I would likely find some other characters to enjoy playing as. Funny that while I enjoy playing my current team, neither of my secondary characters are my first choice to master.

Deadpool/Vergil/Strider
Phoenix/Hulk/Sentinel

1. Dante - Probably my most-used character other than Magneto, has the most fun combos
  2. C.Viper - My old favorite character before I started using Magneto
  3. Wesker - Old Faithful, I'm a huge Resident Evil fan and he's just fun to move around with
  4. Zero - I was born on the same day as Mega Man 1 came out, and Zero's what I got
  5. Thor - Thor is my homeboy
  6. Shuma - ;_;

I'd probably use teams like this:

C.Viper/Dante/Morrigan
Zero/Dante/X-23
Thor/Wesker/Shuma

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Sure but not right now. I should really being doing homework now lol. And the SB stream should be coming up after that assuming I actually get my shit done.

shaowebb

Then you have to deal with the DHC mambo. :-/ I prefer to just get out safely...too many bad memories...

Fine, don't endorse my team suggestion, back my claims, or respond to my post! :p

FYI, Strider's Vajra isn't an overhead.

The problem with Hidden Missiles is that Hidden Missiles needs two things:
1) A way to ensure you can call the assist safely.
2) A way to protect Doom while he's doing his thing.

Iron Fist offers neither of these.

Good points on Doom. He does get predictable on an Iron Fist team and the guy running Spencer/Iron Fist/ Doom was largely puttin it in with Spencer+ Fist when I played him so yeah he probably would get eaten alive by folks. Vajra is really so folks can't jump. I thought it was an overhead though since I remembered a maximillian video way back showing something about double overheading while playing Strider by going for Vajra and then another move. I probably misunderstood though since how often have I paid attention since launch on this though with school.

Tatsu is okay for both stalling people's tactics and getting in horizontally through a lot of stuff so Akuma may not be bad. Anyone with good zoning on point backed by Rising Dragon assist though is a God Damned nightmare for folks and its how my Taskmaster/Iron Fist/Arthur team is geared. Kind of curious how MODOK backed by Rising Dragon would feel since both guys are meant to corner folks and MODOK has some pretty sneaky snap in mixups on folks.

MODOK/Iron Fist/Akuma Would probably be pretty fun.

You could probably run any zoner on point for this though. Hawkeye with Akuma and Rising Dragon assists might be troll tier, but I got no clue on his needs as a character since I don't play him. He's usually just an assist and I've never really seen him attempted on point. I know Jam Session or Dormammu assists would be pretty good to keep people off of Iron Fist and Rising Dragon leads to some irritating stuff with both those guys on runaway since it comes out so fast and eats up so much space plus its wall bounce on hit can be converted into a kill with either dude. Of course thats what his assist does for anyone though so I can't really vouch for this brainstorm thought. Try it if you want, but I have no clue if this is a good idea for Dormammu to attempt or not. Dante would probably do alright, but I don't know if Rising Dragon honestly gives Dormammu what he needs out there to suggest it. For what its worth Rising Dragon is a pretty asshole way to setup spiral swords on folks with Vergil if you got any ideas how to make Vergil work for Iron Fist...I didn't come up with much when I tried it and just found myself abusing Vergil for the kills without ever going over to Iron Fist once he had that assist.

I strongly suggest though putting Iron Fist on second so that you can get your mixups through someone else and use him AFTER you get the combo going for the kill. His Rising Dragon usually leads to scary stuff for anyone he gets that hit for and it makes any point character scarier IMO. That plus the fact that it will start you in the corner against an incoming character after you TAC and kill to try and mixup the next dude is pretty rough on folks. Frame traps and corner pressure with Iron Fist is all you should be trying to setup because his FU to pushblocking with a lot of assists make it harsh.

Sure but not right now. I should really being doing homework now lol. And the SB stream should be coming up after that assuming I actually get my shit done.
I knew you'd turn me down!

Good points on Doom. He does get predictable on an Iron Fist team and the guy running Spencer/Iron Fist/ Doom was largely puttin it in with Spencer+ Fist when I played him so yeah he probably would get eaten alive by folks. Vajra is really so folks can't jump. I thought it was an overhead though since I remembered a maximillian video way back showing something about double overheading while playing Strider by going for Vajra and then another move. I probably misunderstood though since how often have I paid attention since launch on this though with school.
The Strider double overhead is jumping (or falling) and doing j.L, double jumping, and then doing another j.L.

Tatsu is okay for both stalling people's tactics and getting in horizontally through a lot of stuff so Akuma may not be bad. Anyone with good zoning on point backed by Rising Dragon assist though is a God Damned nightmare for folks and its how my Taskmaster/Iron Fist/Arthur team is geared. Kind of curious how MODOK backed by Rising Dragon would feel since both guys are meant to corner folks and MODOK has some pretty sneaky snap in mixups on folks.
I think MODOK/Iron Fist would work well. Psionic Blaster would help push you in. Not as good as Arthur, but good. I think the Tatsu assist is best for characters with the ability...um, to do mix-ups. Haha. X-23 and Wolverine both have quick overheads and left/right mix-ups to use with it, and Iron Fist just...doesn't. I think he's better served by assists that pin your opponent in one place than ones that push your opponent back. Iron Fist/Chun-li/Arthur would be an interesting combination to mess with, because her lockdown lasts forever.

You could probably run any zoner on point for this though. Hawkeye with Akuma and Rising Dragon assists might be troll tier, but I got no clue on his needs as a character since I don't play him. He's usually just an assist and I've never really seen him attempted on point. I know Jam Session or Dormammu assists would be pretty good to keep people off of Iron Fist and Rising Dragon leads to some irritating stuff with both those guys on runaway since it comes out so fast and eats up so much space plus its wall bounce on hit can be converted into a kill with either dude. Of course thats what his assist does for anyone though so I can't really vouch for this brainstorm thought. Try it if you want, but I have no clue if this is a good idea for Dormammu to attempt or not. Dante would probably do alright, but I don't know if Rising Dragon honestly gives Dormammu what he needs out there to suggest it. For what its worth Rising Dragon is a pretty asshole way to setup spiral swords on folks with Vergil if you got any ideas how to make Vergil work for Iron Fist...I didn't come up with much when I tried it and just found myself abusing Vergil for the kills without ever going over to Iron Fist once he had that assist.
You never want to pick Dormammu for the assist. You pick him in spite of his assists, haha. Dormammu backed by Rising Dragon would work well, of course, but I think that goes without saying for every character. However, Dormammu's big weakness is teleporters, not frontal rushdown. It's already hell for people to get in on Dormammu from the front, he's like his own army from the front. It's the huge delay on those specials that make him weak to teleports that he has to watch out for, and Rising Dragon won't help with that.

I strongly suggest though putting Iron Fist on second so that you can get your mixups through someone else and use him AFTER you get the combo going for the kill. His Rising Dragon usually leads to scary stuff for anyone he gets that hit for and it makes any point character scarier IMO. That plus the fact that it will start you in the corner against an incoming character after you TAC and kill to try and mixup the next dude is pretty rough on folks. Frame traps and corner pressure with Iron Fist is all you should be trying to setup because his FU to pushblocking with a lot of assists make it hars.
If you DHC Iron Fist in through Fists of Fury, how much can he extend the combo solo?

And you probably thought Helm Breaker was good already.

Every time someone blocks it and thinks they can press buttons afterwards, you now get to frame trap them into whatever you want.

I recommend Rising Sun for anti-chicken blocking because it's a frame faster and you leave the ground after what I think is 4 frames, meaning you can't be thrown either. As long as you go practice doing Trick Down when the second hit whiffs it will be safe anyway.

If someone is above you when they get hit by Helm Breaker, you can whiff the S upon landing and still OTG them. I never tested, but I would presume in any level of XF you could always whiff the S and still OTG. (But either need DT or a least XF2 by itself to do anything other than a hyper). You can also do Rising Sun > Trick Down and still OTG them, but I only tested that in XF3 + DT.

and after teaching them that they can't press buttons you can do Helm Breaker > Rapid Slash for the ultimate mindfuck.
Me likey.

Darksim

I never knew that Helm Breaker is cancelable into s.S. :-O

And you probably thought Helm Breaker was good already.

Every time someone blocks it and thinks they can press buttons afterwards, you now get to frame trap them into whatever you want.

I recommend Rising Sun for anti-chicken blocking because it's a frame faster and you leave the ground after what I think is 4 frames, meaning you can't be thrown either. As long as you go practice doing Trick Down when the second hit whiffs it will be safe anyway.

If someone is above you when they get hit by Helm Breaker, you can whiff the S upon landing and still OTG them. I never tested, but I would presume in any level of XF you could always whiff the S and still OTG. (But either need DT or a least XF2 by itself to do anything other than a hyper). You can also do Rising Sun > Trick Down and still OTG them, but I only tested that in XF3 + DT.

and after teaching them that they can't press buttons you can do Helm Breaker > Rapid Slash for the ultimate mindfuck.

For me:
1) Super-Skrull
2) Phoenix
3) Morrigan
4) Deadpool
5) Strider
6) Dr. Strange
7) Ghost Rider

Deadpool/Vergil/Strider
Phoenix/Hulk/Sentinel

What if my main character was Sent in MVC2. What do I do in MVC3? Commit Sudoku? I guess Zero fits then... team #ROBOT

shaowebb

The Strider double overhead is jumping (or falling) and doing j.L, double jumping, and then doing another j.L.
Okay. Yeah that totally doesn't do what I thought then. Thanks.

I think MODOK/Iron Fist would work well. Psionic Blaster would help push you in. Not as good as Arthur, but good. I think the Tatsu assist is best for characters with the ability...um, to do mix-ups. Haha. X-23 and Wolverine both have quick overheads and left/right mix-ups to use with it, and Iron Fist just...doesn't. I think he's better served by assists that pin your opponent in one place than ones that push your opponent back. Iron Fist/Chun-li/Arthur would be an interesting combination to mess with, because her lockdown lasts forever.

Iron Fist/Chun/ Arthur does sound pretty fun honestly. I like that idea. Tatsu was suggested because it snuffs some projectiles and since it can hold them still long enough to start doing block strings to push them toward the corner. No real mixup potential with it since he can't get behind them to start anything in time, but if he can use it to close the gap and corner you that thing is ridiculous to have during Iron Fist frame traps. Eventually they just crack because they can never get free. I still like your idea of Chun/Arthur better though :) Better projectile killer and better lockdown.

You never want to pick Dormammu for the assist. You pick him in spite of his assists, haha. Dormammu backed by Rising Dragon would work well, of course, but I think that goes without saying for every character. However, Dormammu's big weakness is teleporters, not frontal rushdown. It's already hell for people to get in on Dormammu from the front, he's like his own army from the front. It's the huge delay on those specials that make him weak to teleports that he has to watch out for, and Rising Dragon won't help with that.

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking when I said I don't really know if Iron Fist gives him what he needs. Rising Dragon doesn't really add anything he doesn't already have. It just pops out at the same time as it for Dorm.

If you DHC Iron Fist in through Fists of Fury, how much can he extend the combo solo?

Not a whole lot. After Fists of Fury you generally just have time for the double palm into Spirit of the dragon or a low and a mid to spirit of the dragon. Its generally a combo ender as by the time you get around to it the scaling on your combo is too high to keep them from falling out before you get much. I think I may have seen someone with assists manage to extend all the way through their rekkas till they got a rising dragon and they converted a few more hits into it though, but I can't even remember how they did it. Generally, unless you have a way force them back into a standing position to do crumple resets his combos aren't really that varied and most generally end in either a one meter kill or (since they generate decent meter) a fists of fury into rising dragon kill. The power of Chi one inch punch is something you can combo into from that move, but 4 bars is generally only gonnna happen on their last character for troll purposes. That one inch punch is a damned good hyper though. Almost anything works to set it up.

As far as DHC-ing into one of Iron Fists hypers to extend a combo you won't really get much though. Its too hard to bounce them around most times and by that point they generally start falling out from hit stun deterioration on the combo. You'll hit the DHC, but not a whole lot after that without burning another meter.

What if my main character was Sent in MVC2. What do I do in MVC3? Commit Sudoku? I guess Zero fits then... team #ROBOT
My main character was Sentinel in MvC2, and in MvC3 I don't use him at all. It took me about 9 months to drop him, but I did it, and it feels good. He's not bad, but he's not fun anymore.

On the team robot note, Zero/Iron Man/Sentinel is a fantastic team. It's weird that no one has thought to use him. The most abrasive Zero I ever played used the Unibeam assist. Of course, Jam Session is probably better for him overall.

Iron Fist/Chun/ Arthur does sound pretty fun honestly. I like that idea. Tatsu was suggested because it snuffs some projectiles and since it can hold them still long enough to start doing block strings to push them toward the corner. No real mixup potential with it since he can't get behind them to start anything in time, but if he can use it to close the gap and corner you that thing is ridiculous to have during Iron Fist frame traps. Eventually they just crack because they can never get free. I still like your idea of Chun/Arthur better though :) Better projectile killer and better lockdown.
I do see the argument for Tatsu, and I think it works well on paper, but I've watched a lot of Iron Fist / Akuma matches, and every time it seems obvious to me that it's just not doing the job. It's a great assist, but the fact is that Tatsu is a good assist for anyone. That doesn't make it the right choice for a character, though. Some people use teams like Wolverine/Dormammu/Akuma, and it works fine, but it's not a great team for Dormammu.

Not a whole lot. After Fists of Fury you generally just have time for the double palm into Spirit of the dragon or a low and a mid to spirit of the dragon. Its generally a combo ender as by the time you get around to it the scaling on your combo is too high to keep them from falling out before you get much. I think I may have seen someone with assists manage to extend all the way through their rekkas till they got a rising dragon and they converted a few more hits into it though, but I can't even remember how they did it. Generally, unless you have a way force them back into a standing position to do crumple resets his combos aren't really that varied and most generally end in either a one meter kill or (since they generate decent meter) a fists of fury into rising dragon kill. The power of Chi one inch punch is something you can combo into from that move, but 4 bars is generally only gonnna happen on their last character for troll purposes. That one inch punch is a damned good hyper though. Almost anything works to set it up.
Ah, I thought that maybe one could do his rekka move that puts your opponent into a hard knockdown, and do...something. I don't know, haha.

In general, I think Iron Fist's virtue is in his ability to say "I'm finally here, and I'm not leaving anytime soon."

shaowebb

I do see the argument for Tatsu, and I think it works well on paper, but I've watched a lot of Iron Fist / Akuma matches, and every time it seems obvious to me that it's just not doing the job. It's a great assist, but the fact is that Tatsu is a good assist for anyone. That doesn't make it the right choice for a character, though. Some people use teams like Wolverine/Dormammu/Akuma, and it works fine, but it's not a great team for Dormammu.

Ah, I thought that maybe one could do his rekka move that puts your opponent into a hard knockdown, and do...something. I don't know, haha.

In general, I think Iron Fist's virtue is in his ability to say "I'm finally here, and I'm not leaving anytime soon."

Agreed on all counts. But yeah once they go airborne Iron Fist's combos don't really excite too much. Most of his work gets done off of rekkas and crumples and its hard to catch a bunch of rekkas out of Fists of Fury. As far as teams go I really really like your Chun idea. Chun Li would be better for that corner pressure frustration that Akuma would lend and not using Akuma for horizontal aid means you are free to have Dark Arthur on dagger support to get in easier and to have better comeback potential.

Plus, yeah the "im finally here and not leaving" aspect is what makes Iron Fist so fun. Not only in the sense that I've always wanted him, but from the obvious playstyle aspect of once your back is to the wall and he starts doing frame traps you will be terrified of him because he will NOT go away no matter what you do. Most seem to resort to counters if they got any or attempts to pushblock into anything they can think of in hopes of getting him off of them.

I'll have to try that Iron Fist/Chun/Arthur setup though. I really like that idea and Chun is a character I really enjoyed playing. I'd probably set Iron Fist to Crescent heel for Chun though since she's already good at the angles Rising Dragon would cover and since she would need the OTG options for different combos. I'm thinking she could have some fun stuff off her crumple with that heel assist.

Agreed on all counts. But yeah once they go airborne Iron Fist's combos don't really excite too much. Most of his work gets done off of rekkas and crumples and its hard to catch a bunch of rekkas out of Fists of Fury. As far as teams go I really really like your Chun idea. Chun Li would be better for that corner pressure frustration that Akuma would lend and not using Akuma for horizontal aid means you are free to have Dark Arthur on dagger support to get in easier and to have better comeback potential.

Plus, yeah the "im finally here and not leaving" aspect is what makes Iron Fist so fun. Not only in the sense that I've always wanted him, but from the obvious playstyle aspect of once your back is to the wall and he starts doing frame traps you will be terrified of him because he will NOT go away no matter what you do. Most seem to resort to counters if they got any or attempts to pushblock into anything they can think of in hopes of getting him off of them.

I'll have to try that Iron Fist/Chun/Arthur setup though. I really like that idea and Chun is a character I really enjoyed playing. I'd probably set Iron Fist to Crescent heel for Chun though since she's already good at the angles Rising Dragon would cover and since she would need the OTG options for different combos. I'm thinking she could have some fun stuff off her crumple with that heel assist.
I recommend keeping him on Rising Dragon because if Arthur gets snapped in, he'll need it. Also, the neat thing about Chun-li is that because she can triple jump, you can call assists at very close proximity while being nowhere near your opponent. It's very effective to call an assist like Rising Dragon after jumping twice to catch an opponent off-guard.

Let me know how the team runs for you, though. I wish you were on the PS3 so we could play.

Edit: Another thought: I would like for ChrisG's success to herald a second change in the scene. The thought people typically have is "oh, ChrisG is showing how powerful keepaway can be", but that's not why he's winning. It's a part of it, but the bigger aspect is that he plays a team that doesn't care about opening you up. Teleporters are so loved in the community because they're excellent at opening players up, and they get paired with assists that aid in that goal. I would like to see people experiment with setups that aren't about opening people up, but simply locking them down. There's no rush to win in this game, you just need a health advantage. As long as you're maintaining momentum, all is well. Rayray wins a lot of matches with his Ryu team because he thinks this way.

How come nobody plays Iron Fist/Spencer/Hawkeye?
Because nobody plays Iron Fist!

I think step one for the character is getting people past the idea that he's a ghetto Wolverine, so people stop pairing him with Akuma. If some people get that, we might start seeing decent Iron Fist play.

That means one person has to learn Iron Fist (Justin is still not good with him) on a decent team and show how he actually works as a front runner, and then get top 4 at a major tournament.

smurfx

get some go again
finally broke 500k meter less with hawkeye. i'm not including poison shots into this as that easily takes it over 500k. there really is no reason to add gimlet to the end of his combos unless you can kill that character. are there any techniques i'm missing that easily lets him add 500k meter less not counting poison shots? oh 500k meter less includes my assists of course.

Roo = Ryu.

I'd also definitely consider Deadpool, and am currently thinking about a Viewtiful Joe team tbh. He's pretty sweet, just gotta get used to his movement.

Combo into slow, cr.L, call Deadpool + Pizza Slicer for scumbag unblockable? Don't know if it'd be fast enough but I want to experiment in a couple weeks. See what he can do and find some good partners for him. Maybe add Nova and/or Iron Fist.

shaowebb

How come nobody plays Iron Fist/Spencer/Hawkeye?

Honestly, I have no clue. Its a pretty decent team as far as long combos and getting in is concerned. I know from that Spencer/Iron Fist/ Doom guy that the back and forth between Spencer and Iron Fist is pretty powerful given crumples setup long Spencer stuff, and Iron Fist gets better combos by extending via grapple assist. He can pretty much kill without meter using that grapple in some combos.

Give it a try. We might just be overthinking things, but watchout for snap ins. Guys target the projectile character on me a lot when they see me using Iron Fist. They know it cripples his mobility and control.

shaowebb

Since I'm still stuck here until my files render out for finals to compile I may as well bring up an oddball question.

Has anyone ever gotten any sort of combo stuff for She-Hulk that uses that new lamp post move? I swear I never see it used in or out of combos and I'm just curious if anyone ever did anything with it.

mr. puppy

Banned
alright i'm pretty confident with Vergil/Strange/Ammy, and its actually a lot of fun sticking to something new even though I still think Doom/Ammy,Strange/Ammy,Anything/Ammy is not a good structure.

I gotta admit though, I definitely never formed a 'you dont get to press buttons team', or something formed around incoming mixups quite this strong. I had firebrand/dante/task (on vertical missles mind you) that I thought was pretty good but it did beyond pathetic damage and just doesn't win matches for me like I thought it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom