• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. puppy

Banned
followup on strange/ammy from the strange boards, found a couple of cool ideas:

from Maziodyne:
I am abusing the hell out of TACs and DHCs now. Every single touch from Magneto (even throws) either turns into a Strange DHC or TAC that lets me get at least one rep of Flames loop no matter how long the combo leading into it was. I usually build (close to) 3 meters along the way also, so in the event I need to kill a character without using X-Factor, I have the Ammy THC available. I can even go for resets, so instead of doing that one rep of the Flames loop, I can just do launch, Palm xx Flames, j.S knockdown, M Daggers into lockdown stuff with Ammy (Sent would work wonders here too, so I'm definitely considering him as well).THIS is how Strange in second is supposed to be played, I think.

If you're doing TACs (any direction works) with Strange it's best to just skip the actual TAC thing and lead into Flames loop right away. That way you get the one rep of Flames loop all the time.

As for my corner resets, if I'm not gonna attempt a throw setup, I'll just react to whatever direction you roll and use the appropriate assist. If you roll forward, you block the M Daggers, [blockstun gap here], crossup with Disruptor assist. If you stay in the corner, Cold Star locks you down and I get a free overhead attempt with Teleport H, j.S.

from Mollyfighter:

I play a similar playstyle with Viper/Strange/Ammy. I open people up with Viper then go into either DHC or TAC building atleast 1.5 bars for atleast for a level 3 to get the kill. Strange/Ammy THC Sheningans involve me M Teleporting until the opponent blocks wrong. I setup up a red grace and go into either a relaunch or reset. Cold Star is so good midscreen on incoming though. I teleport M and they eat a crossup into Palm loop. I started using that XF2/3 infinite also against Wesker/Vergil/derp anchor after I catch a random SOV off of random teleports.

I suggest if you really want to be quick and high/low opponents in the corner, you call Cold Star for the lockdown and just Instant Fly into either a high/low. I've been using EoA for front techs though. If they front tech I EoA then Teleport M twice if they block the first mixup.

Thanks for posting that puppy. I recommend not starting Strange on point, though. It's even more stressful than starting Dormammu on point.

what was capcom thinking giving players the option to reset their rank?
can you fuck up your own matchmaking even worse? retards...
Why not let people reset their rank? It's not like it's meaningful. People make secondary accounts regardless.

I would love to see Desk try a combo video where both your assists are slowed, changing the timings of them. Might be some sick stuff there. Assists that were block strings aren't anymore, allowing for some neat setups.
That would be cool. It's too bad there isn't a way to slow your own teammates.

Haggar assist is op even slowed down.
It's arguably even better, because IIRC the invincibility frames are extended. I remember in Vanilla it was a pain in the ass whenever Tron or Haggar was on a team during Veil of Mist. You could be halfway through a combo before you got interrupted, haha.

It does combo and you can set up some mixups. The problem is that b/c its a knockdown from okami you need to prepare to set up your OTG, which is a problem mid match for me so far. Strange does recover in time for a teleport mixup, which is nicely covered by all the shit flying around. For added shwag, choose a color for him that can blend with the Okami shuffle colors.

At the moment, I'm working on the stuff in this Vergil/Strange synergy video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ibr4hkvmEM&feature=plcp

(and also realizing hidden missiles will obviously make this team better :(
Good stuff, but I'm not fond of Vergil/Strange. It doesn't seem like Vergil is able to make great use of Bolts of Balthakk aside from it being a beam assist. /shrug

Rapid Slash backing Dr. Strange sounds pretty rad, though. If I were in your shoes, I would run Amaterasu (Cold Star) / Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk) / Vergil (Rapid Slash), and DHC Dr. Strange in ASAP like Champ does for Dormammu. Then you have the 2 meter THC setup, you have a top anchor, Dr. Strange is in safely, etc. Amaterasu is one of the best starters, even though no one puts her there.

The only downside is that Amaterasu backed by Rapid Slash isn't too strong. So if Strange dies after your DHC, you'll probably want to Veil of Mist -> Devil Trigger ASAP and burn XF2.

I've posted like 10 combos around the same damage with spencer in this thread. Basically it goes something like:

LM2H xx zip, LMH xx Up Grapple, Bionic Bomber, MHS sjc Up Grapple, A1(Vergil), Bionic Bomber, S sjc Up Grapple, A2(Doom), Up Grapple, S sjc Up Grapple, OTG Air Grapple, zip, zip, Up Grapple, Bionic Bomber
Hum, then why are Spencer players always burning 2 bars for kills? Maybe they're just lazy like most Vergil players.

Dahbomb

It's because that combo has Doom missiles which allows Spencer to get many UWG. That doesn't work with every team. Most Spencer teams get by with just one combo extender which is enough to TOD characters. 2 combo extenders with one of the being either Drones or missiles is overkill damage.

Hum, then why are Spencer players always burning 2 bars for kills? Maybe they're just lazy like most Vergil players.

Well you lose about a third of the damage by starting outside the corner, and you don't always have two assists for combo extension. Many of the links don't work on small characters and some of them are just hard to get 100%. You also lose a little bit off his command grab, like 150k if I remember right. That said, you should generally be able to kill with one bar on most characters.

Is anything Marvel going on in Season's Beatings today? I don't want to clog up that thread. I know the schedule doesn't have any, but maybe special events, etc.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Is anything Marvel going on in Season's Beatings today? I don't want to clog up that thread. I know the schedule doesn't have any, but maybe special events, etc.

The exhibitions are going on today (USA vs. World, Chris G vs. whoever, likely Fanatiq vs. RAyray 2). I think they are on the schedule under "Special events" which they say start at 9:30.

I've posted like 10 combos around the same damage with spencer in this thread. Basically it goes something like:

LM2H xx zip, LMH xx Up Grapple, Bionic Bomber, MHS sjc Up Grapple, A1(Vergil), Bionic Bomber, S sjc Up Grapple, A2(Doom), Up Grapple, S sjc Up Grapple, OTG Air Grapple, zip, zip, Up Grapple, Bionic Bomber

What are good midscreen combos? Mine suck.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I use Nova and Hawkeye with him. I don't think any of those can help extend Spencer combos. Well maybe Nova but he's usually dead by the time Spencer comes out.

How do I get a dude to the corner from midscreen/the other corner?

I use Nova and Hawkeye with him. I don't think any of those can help extend Spencer combos. Well maybe Nova but he's usually dead by the time Spencer comes out.

How do I get a dude to the corner from midscreen/the other corner?
Have you tried something like:
s.LMHS, sj.MMH, zip, zip, zip, j.S, TK grapple, zip down-forward, s.MHS, sj.MMHS, qcf.S, hyper?

So I'm playing around with an anti-morrigan team(Akuma/Dante/Strider) and it turns out that Dante's dive kick and 2L whiff on Morrigan at certain ranges. Weird.

You mean Dante's j.S?

I don't think that's a good anti-Morrigan team.

No, his dive kick, killer bee it's called? Goes right through her if it starts above her head in the corner. As for the team, I'm just playing around. Dante is my cool down guy in training mode. I've played him the most after Magneto since vanilla, but I never put him on any of my teams for some reason or another.

No, his dive kick, killer bee it's called? Goes right through her if it starts above her head in the corner. As for the team, I'm just playing around. Dante is my cool down guy in training mode. I've played him the most after Magneto since vanilla, but I never put him on any of my teams for some reason or another.
Ah okay. Are you sure it's not more about him being in the corner than it being above Morrigan? Is she crouching or standing?

2L going through her is annoying. I've lost matches because Dormammu's 2L goes through most characters close up. -_-

Ah okay. Are you sure it's not more about him being in the corner than it being above Morrigan? Is she crouching or standing?

2L going through her is annoying. I've lost matches because Dormammu's 2L goes through most characters close up. -_-

Standing in the corner, it hits other characters at the same height. If I neutral jump then do it anywhere around the top of the jump, it just goes through her.

edit: I can even do a loose tiger knee and it'll whiff if she's crouching as well

double edit: cold shower(at point blank) and cross-up jH will whiff on crouching as well, that latter actually being useful

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Have you tried something like:
s.LMHS, sj.MMH, zip, zip, zip, j.S, TK grapple, zip down-forward, s.MHS, sj.MMHS, qcf.S, hyper?

Ok I can do most of the one Beardo posted now but I can't get this one down. It's always the zip down-forward into MHS etc.

But my Spencer is getting better, I can finally do the down-forward zip, down-back zip, into Up Wire Grapple.

Putting this here for Enzo in case it gets bowled over by thread posts in SB:
Bughouse is chess with 4 people. Basically, you have a teammate, and he plays the opposite color you do. So the boards look like this:

You (White) vs Black (Opponent)
Partner (Black) vs. White (Partner's Opponent)

The basic rules are the same. All pieces move the same, checkmate rules are the same, etc. The big differences are these:
1) Standard time is a 5 minute match, so decisions have to be made quickly (both board have their own clocks).
2) When someone captures a piece, instead of that piece leaving play entirely, it is given to the capturing player's partner.
3) During a player's turn, instead of moving a piece, a player may place a captured piece anywhere on the board except for on top of other pieces, and pawns cannot be placed on the 1st and 8th ranks (but they can be placed on the 7th, and then promoted on the next turn).

So, it basically creates a flowing economy of pieces between boards, and shit gets crazy real fast. There's usually a lot of thinking going on between partners to try and fuel each others' game. Typically, one player decides to play a highly defensive game, while the other plays a highly offensive game, and you try to fuel your offensive partner with pieces to pick apart your opponent's defense while you turtle.

So, it's a lot like Marvel vs. Street Fighter, where they share the same fundamental rules, but Marvel just has a lot more you have to be thinking about and paying attention to at any one moment, and there's a level of metastrategy you have to pay attention to, plus the game is crazy fast while still requiring deep thinking skills.

Azure J

Bughouse sounds like Marvel if assists were independently controlled player characters waiting in reserve.

And now I want to patent that idea for a FG. :lol

Dahbomb

Bughouse sounds like Marvel if assists were independently controlled player characters waiting in reserve.
I already put that idea out.

They would just have to tone down assist based damage and assists being active when the point character is hit because then there will be times where a player literally might not even get to play.

Having played many team based games and Marvel... I would say that this type of Marvel would induce a hysterical amount of salt. There would be a ton of blaming partners for losses

"Scrubby ass Zero got clipped and I had to eat the incoming mix up"

or

"Dumb ass point Magneto wasted XF1 and now my Strider couldn't do shit against 3 characters"

or

"Tard Phoenix anchor came out at the wrong time during a combo and got killed as an assist".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Putting this here for Enzo in case it gets bowled over by thread posts in SB:
Bughouse is chess with 4 people. Basically, you have a teammate, and he plays the opposite color you do. So the boards look like this:

You (White) vs Black (Opponent)
Partner (Black) vs. White (Partner's Opponent)

The basic rules are the same. All pieces move the same, checkmate rules are the same, etc. The big differences are these:
1) Standard time is a 5 minute match, so decisions have to be made quickly (both board have their own clocks).
2) When someone captures a piece, instead of that piece leaving play entirely, it is given to the capturing player's partner.
3) During a player's turn, instead of moving a piece, a player may place a captured piece anywhere on the board except for on top of other pieces, and pawns cannot be placed on the 1st and 8th ranks (but they can be placed on the 7th, and then promoted on the next turn).

So, it basically creates a flowing economy of pieces between boards, and shit gets crazy real fast. There's usually a lot of thinking going on between partners to try and fuel each others' game. Typically, one player decides to play a highly defensive game, while the other plays a highly offensive game, and you try to fuel your offensive partner with pieces to pick apart your opponent's defense while you turtle.

So, it's a lot like Marvel vs. Street Fighter, where they share the same fundamental rules, but Marvel just has a lot more you have to be thinking about and paying attention to at any one moment, and there's a level of metastrategy you have to pay attention to, plus the game is crazy fast while still requiring deep thinking skills.
Gonna reply here since I don't want to continue in the SB:A thread, but that sounds awesome and definitely sounds like it could be interpreted into some awesome kind of video game.

They would just have to tone down assist based damage and assists being active when the point character is hit because then there will be times where a player literally might not even get to play.

Having played many team based games and Marvel... I would say that this type of Marvel would induce a hysterical amount of salt. There would be a ton of blaming partners for losses

or

"Dumb ass point Magneto wasted XF1 and now my Strider couldn't do shit against 3 characters"

or

"Tard Phoenix anchor came out at the wrong time during a combo and got killed as an assist".
Who would control Crossover Counters? ;-)

Azure J

or

or

The way I see it working is that the point character is law and calling an assist would have the character belonging to P2 or P3 (if they could ever get 6 on 6/6 controllers synced to one game working) get a x number of frames window to do one special then bounce when either time is up or the special is completed.

The other stuff though, that's where the fun would come from. The salt would be like Mario Party Mahvel 3, but the payoff when every aspect works? Priceless.

Edit: Crossover Counters are hazy territory. I'd think same rules apply except those frames would be raw invincibility until first input special while incoming or special on incoming ends.

Dahbomb

Who would control Crossover Counters? ;-)
The secondary character of course. They can initiate whatever move during the point character is in block stun at the cost of a meter.

Of course in this game the characters in reserve can use any move in arsenal as an assist or a CC.

The only thing I haven't quite worked out is how THCs work. They would have to do it Musou style and have a flash window appear in which the other players can input the hyper for synchronized action.

Azure J

Oh, I totally forgot the reason I wanted to come and post in this thread last post. I'm beginning to feel like Viper's Burn Kick assist is actually seriously good for a Dante player the more I screw around with it. It's not as good in neutral, but for setups and combos (like legitimate high damage extensions with one call)? It's pretty damn sweet. Using the Burn Kick call - Volcano - TK Million Carats things I showed off in my old 900K+ video, you can skip the entirety of his jump series after BC Volcano, be put in prime position for Shot Loops, do more damage and build a good clip of meter. Hell, this this also makes positioning for post j.S/Hammer combos even easier.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real rap: consensus on a name for OT3? I feel like it should be current for the Marvel state of affairs.

I'm partial to my suggestion of |OT3| INFINITE DOOMS but it ain't the greatest.

Real rap: consensus on a name for OT3? I feel like it should be current for the Marvel state of affairs.

I'm partial to my suggestion of |OT3| INFINITE DOOMS but it ain't the greatest.
Taken Over By Doombots, or something about Doombots...

You could confuse people and put "This game...is over!"

Azure J

I feel like there are days when my Strider can put on a show and days where he's just there to make guest appearances for a divekick or two. What kinda things should I be doing with him in the anchor spot?

One thing I need to unlearn with the swiftness is Vajra H on point if I don't have 3 meters (preferably 5 so I have an Oroborus to use on the next character inbound). I learned a few gambits to beat my brother who always grab punishes the move upon touchdown including a XFC midair for my own counter grab and Ragnarok on touchdown since he just can't not try to grab me. Problem is, now I have a bad habit of using XF to get that first KO using Viper a la some Vanilla Wolvy while attempting a Guard Break with the Focus Attack - Jam Session setup.

I really need to level up the poor ninja, but I just can't predict my nutty ass opponent enough to rely on oki tiger games (even though that is like my favorite shit ever).

Edit: You know what? Anyone have some Clockwork or Chou videos on hand? I need to learn this guy now.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I actually wanted to suggest this waaaaay back but didn't think it'd be as popular. Good shit. :lol

I feel like there are days when my Strider can put on a show and days where he's just there to make guest appearances for a divekick or two. What kinda things should I be doing with him in the anchor spot?

One thing I need to unlearn with the swiftness is Vajra H on point if I don't have 3 meters (preferably 5 so I have an Oroborus to use on the next character inbound). I learned a few gambits to beat my brother who always grab punishes the move upon touchdown including a XFC midair for my own counter grab and Ragnarok on touchdown since he just can't not try to grab me. Problem is, now I have a bad habit of using XF to get that first KO using Viper a la some Vanilla Wolvy while attempting a Guard Break with the Focus Attack - Jam Session setup.

I really need to level up the poor ninja, but I just can't predict my nutty ass opponent enough to rely on oki tiger games (even though that is like my favorite shit ever).

Edit: You know what? Anyone have some Clockwork or Chou videos on hand? I need to learn this guy now.
Are you running Viper/Dante/Strider still?

I actually wanted to suggest this waaaaay back but didn't think it'd be as popular. Good shit. :lol
Uh huh.

Yep. I feel pretty good with that team actually. Going to put work into some more of Viper's advanced stuff and getting my Strider better then it's just going to be about match ups and getting more play in.
Maybe you should just start running Strider on point. You'll learn him outside of XF3 gimmicks, and you'll also learn some XF3 stuff with Dante or Viper, depending on how you organize your team. I think it's worth learning all three of your characters as anchors, regardless of what team you play, but your team especially, since good players will often snap Strider in.

mr. puppy

Banned
Thanks for posting that puppy. I recommend not starting Strange on point, though. It's even more stressful than starting Dormammu on point.

Good stuff, but I'm not fond of Vergil/Strange. It doesn't seem like Vergil is able to make great use of Bolts of Balthakk aside from it being a beam assist. /shrug

Rapid Slash backing Dr. Strange sounds pretty rad, though. If I were in your shoes, I would run Amaterasu (Cold Star) / Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk) / Vergil (Rapid Slash), and DHC Dr. Strange in ASAP like Champ does for Dormammu. Then you have the 2 meter THC setup, you have a top anchor, Dr. Strange is in safely, etc. Amaterasu is one of the best starters, even though no one puts her there.

The Vergil/Strange/Ammy order is too good against zoning for me to want to switch it up. Bolts is actually aimed so high off the ground and stays out for so long that a lot of the movements for zoning (superjumping around and spamming shit, etc.) can get interrupted by the height and length of time its out. Not to mention if I have two bars and I Vishanti them.

I'll try Ammy first to see how it works, but my I gotta get my Dark Ammy up I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom