• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AH SHADDUP

iHCVANecRc0M6.gif

MY HAWKEYE IS BETTER YOU HEAR ME

MINE

I'M COMING FOR YOU CHRISTOPHER GEE MY HAWKEYE IS BOOTY BUTT CHEEKS
time to stop being lazy and to start hitting those locals amirite?

Dahbomb

By the way today before the MM I went to my local scene to practice up a bit. Still getting demolished by Deadpool, Missiles and Strider.

Why the fuck is this character slept on so much? ChrisG could've had him in his team and still won against Fchamp.

/pjsalt

Those tweets are nice, hopefully the players incorporate them into their game.

Azure J

By the way today before the MM I went to my local scene to practice up a bit. Still getting demolished by Deadpool, Missiles and Strider.

Why the fuck is this character slept on so much? ChrisG could've had him in his team and still won against Fchamp.

/pjsalt

Deadpool or Strider?

Frantic

According to the guidebook, Greyhound is 50,000 x3, Spritzer is 149,000. So Greyhound should do slightly more if all 3 arrows are hitting, and it covers more space.
Actually, Spritzer is 55k x 3 in one concentrated projectiles, so it does do more damage on hit and block since Greyhound could have an arrow or two miss. It also goes through all low durability projectiles, so Champ can't really throw out a projectile of his own.

Out of all the keepaway/zoning characters in this game, Deadpool gives me the most trouble of them all(except maybe Taskmaster up close, but that's just because people mash SHIELD SKILLZ!). Those jumping guns are just really annoying to deal with.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It all revolves around me not being able to drive.

I live on Long Island, I probably could go to Big Two but that's like an hour and a half to get there.

There's a spot I know LI Joe goes to that's not 20 min away from me. But still, can't drive!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Forgot to post this earlier but Mamespider interview on UMvC3 at SB:

• Favorite US players = Yipes and Fchamp since they are really good and fun to watch
• On the Japanese marvel scene = the marvel scene became bigger after EVO this year, the players are getting better but still need work to catch up to US, the japanese aren't as hype as the US players, it's not just japan isn't playing the game it's also because the US have been playing mvc1/2 longer
• Favorite anime/manga = K-On! Favorite character is Mugi
• He plays Vergil/Doom because they work well with spiderman and he built the team around SM since that's his favorite character
• His twitter https://twitter.com/kanamamespider
• He thinks the game hasn't developed to the point where 1 team beats all other teams
• He thinks the US is under rating X-23, Rocket Raccoon and Dr. Strange
• He doesn't have a Top 5 characters list since a lot of the characters can be used in different positions
• Top 5 Japanese players = Chou, Nemo, Tokido, Reichan (?) and one more (sorry forgot)
• No interest in AE, thinks Tekken is fun but doesn't play much, he plays Persona on the side
• On his match against RickyO (where he was eliminated) = can't say much, he dropped combos so he lost and he feels bad about it
• Opinion on Morrigan - Doom combination = the only thing he has to say is that it's a strong combination
• On losing his ft3 moneymatch with OMGitzAndre = andre is funny and a good player
• He says that ALL the big japanese mvc3 players are going to Finalround and EVO next year.
• Kusoru won't come to the US for anymore tourneys because he has no money to travel and he's busy with school and other things. He would go if he was invited though
• On Jusitn Wong's Spider-man play (aka mamejustin) = his spider-man was solid and had good fundamentals but Justin Wong wasn't maximizing his damage
• Did he feel disrespected by the US team not playing their main characters = not really, he kinda felt bad that they weren't playing to their full strength but since the World team couldn't even beat their B-teams then he can't really complain

It all revolves around me not being able to drive.

I live on Long Island, I probably could go to Big Two but that's like an hour and a half to get there.

There's a spot I know LI Joe goes to that's not 20 min away from me. But still, can't drive!
Public transportation? Carpool with friends and split a taxi? Get a parent to drive? How old are you Panda?

Actually, Spritzer is 55k x 3 in one concentrated projectiles, so it does do more damage on hit and block since Greyhound could have an arrow or two miss. It also goes through all low durability projectiles, so Champ can't really throw out a projectile of his own.
Ah, so it was doing more chip. The projectile nullification isn't too important vs. Dormammu 1v1.

:-/

/pjsalt

Deadpool is one of those characters that are so clearly good, it's hard to understand why he isn't used. I have to think it's mostly about the bad assists. I would use Deadpool instead of Vergil if his hypers weren't "meh".

If you have the guidebook, look at how many recovery frames on his teleport. You'll say "wow".

He has no room to feel disrespected after how he behaved at Evo, regardless.

I figured this out on my own :3

Hawkeye is so good, but one bad shot (when he's by himself) is death. Really makes missiles the perfect assist for him.

I'd play Doom if he wasn't so boring T_T

I figured this out on my own :3

Hawkeye is so good, but one bad shot (when he's by himself) is death. Really makes missiles the perfect assist for him.

I'd play Doom if he wasn't so boring T_T
I figured it out on my own too, but most people don't know it. Heck, 95% of Hawkeye players try and Gimlet strait through the fireball...

And Doom is boring. I've tried since launch day to like him, and I just couldn't make it happen. I fricken love Hidden Missiles, though. Dark Harmonizer is a close second.

ChrisG thanked me for the tips. Maybe I can convince him to run Dormammu/Morrigan...

Then everyone will be salty. Dorm plus retarded amount of meter equals fun.
Hey crimson, serpentaurus is claiming that Mighty Smash causes a ground bounce followed by a soft knockdown in Ultimate. Is that true? I know it causes a hard knockdown in Vanilla. I trust your word on this. I know you use Dormammu+Thor.

It caused a hard knockdown in Vanilla. Why did they nerf it?! :-O

There are a lot of philosophical changes going into Ultimate. Hard knockdown and invincible assists, solo projectile cross ups, dive kicks and slides got general nerfs.

That's why I spent so much time early on trying to find out assist characteristics, the guide isn't clear when it comes to knockdown properties.

Slant and Horizontal Shot, Charging Star, Lariat and Vajra are all super valuable.

Posting this where it might be appreciated:

The reason Hidden Missiles is picked so often is the game is really lacking in good anti-air assists. If you want an anti-air, these are all of your options that aren't garbage:
Hidden Missiles
Vajra
Jam Session
Mystic Ray

Four assists. Of these four, Mystic Ray is attached to a character that most people consider one of the worst in the game, and he can't even operate without assists backing him. So, practically, there are 3 options in a 50 member cast for an anti-air assist.

Compare this to the number of full screen horizontal assists in the game:
Unibeam.
EM Disruptor
Psionic Blaster
Bolts of Balthakk
Mystic Ray (it covers everything)
Plasma Beam
Aim Master L
Dagger Toss
Greyhound
Get em' Missile!
Sentinel Force
Mighty Spark

Just look at those options.

Hidden Missiles is partly so popular because it covers a huge void in this game. Strong anti-airs are the only real way to deal with some characters, like Zero.

Several characters have in-built moves that could be good anti-airs if Capcom could pull the stick out of their ass and give everyone good assists. Some ready-to-go anti-airs:
Energy Javelin
Purification (give it tracking)
Shoryuken S
Charged Voomerang
Crossbow (Golden, especially)
Meteor Smash (give it tracking)
Dagger of Denak (the M version sucks)

If Capcom put these all in as assists, I guarantee that you'd see fewer people using Hidden Missiles, because there would be other options to fill the void. That's not to say that Hidden Missiles isn't too good, but there are other problems compounding this issue.

MvC2 had an incredible list of anti-airs. I want my Inferno and Captain Corridor back.

Don't forget Lariat, Log Trap and Repulsar Blast. They're not full height but they stop people from approaching from the air.

Hidden Missiles isn't blowing people's minds just because it's an anti-air, it does everything else on top of that. It's one of if not the most versatile combo extenders in the game, the best OTG assist and it's got lockdown on top of tracking and insane active frames while being a combo breaker, undeniably the most valuable property in the game. And you can actually call another assist before it finishes under the right conditions. With a fast low assist, you can actually use missiles to set up an assist unblockable.

Don't forget Lariat, Log Trap and Repulsar Blast. They're not full height but they stop people from approaching from the air.

Hidden Missiles isn't blowing people's minds just because it's an anti-air, it does everything else on top of that. It's one of if not the most versatile combo extenders in the game, the best OTG assist and it's got lockdown on top of tracking and insane active frames while being a combo breaker, undeniably the most valuable property in the game.
I'm using "anti-air" to mean "a move that will make Dr. Doom think twice about sitting up in the corner and spamming Photon Shot for 20 seconds".

Similar to Karst's question earlier, what 3 favorable matchups make you glad you chose your point character/assists, and what three matchups frustrate you the most? Not necessarily the best/worst if you don't run into those matchups often(log trap, soul fissles)

Magneto(Missiles/Ankle Slicer)

Most Useful:
  1. Zero
  2. C.Viper
  3. Wesker

Most Annoying:
  1. Dormammu
  2. Hawkeye/Vajra
  3. Nemesis
I'm using "anti-air" to mean "a move that will make Dr. Doom think twice about sitting up in the corner and spamming Photon Shot for 20 seconds".

I have my doubts that Doom and MODOK are the reasons people choose Missiles.

I fricken love Hidden Missiles, though.

As someone who:
4) Hates Hidden Missiles.
:-o

Vice

Captain America (H.Arrow/Missiles)

Useful
1. Dormamu
2. Hawkeye
3. Doom

Annoying
Spencer
Viper
Strider

Yolo mode Cap is too fun in his good matchups.

Solune

MvC2 had an incredible list of anti-airs. I want my Inferno and Captain Corridor back.

It's funny because MvC2 is much more heavily reliant on high/low mixups and anti-air assists provide that necessary coverage and generally have invincibility. In MvC3 left/right mixups are much more prominent and horizontal assist have been given priority.

Dahbomb

Hidden Missiles still functions as a combo breaker and that's why its going to be used a ton. Like said, Doom has saved more lives than any character in the game. Also you missed a couple of anti-air assists including Hawkeye's Scatter shot, Taskmaster's up arrows and Deadpool's Trigger Happy assist.

Other anti-air assist (and by air I mean super jump height, there are actually a decent amount of assists that cover the normal jump height) that can be included is Storm's Typhoon but buffed up dramatically to be closer to Dante's, faster in start up and with more active frames. It will basically operate like a Jam Session only with less hit stun/block stun but it can OTG also so it balances out.

In my patch changes, I would've replaced one of Nova's assist with Energy Javelin. Charged Voomerang too.

Similar to Karst's question earlier, what 3 favorable matchups make you glad you chose your point character/assists, and what three matchups frustrate you the most? Not necessarily the best/worst if you don't run into those matchups often(log trap, soul fissles)

Magneto(Missiles/Ankle Slicer)

Most Useful:
  1. Zero
  2. C.Viper
  3. Wesker

Most Annoying:
  1. Dormammu
  2. Hawkeye/Vajra
  3. Nemesis
I swap my team order based on matchup. Vergil is usually on point, and if the matchup is better served by Dormammu or Morrigan, I start the round with Round Trip, Devil Trigger, raw tag. It's very safe, and Morrigan even gets a combo in if the Round Trip hit. :)

Most useful:
Any Tatsu-reliant team is free to Dormammu+Morrigan once I get space
Zero teams - having Vergil on point is the only time I've smelled fear in Zero's heart
Teams with characters that have no answer to Stalking Flare, like Trish, Frank, and Doom; they're effectively 2 character teams

Most annoying:
Hulk/Sentinel Force - fuck this team to the end of the earth
Teleporters - Poormammu. :-( Messes up Morrigan's inputs, too.
Hawkeye and Wesker - horribly annoying matchups for Morrigan

I have my doubts that Doom and MODOK are the reasons people choose Missiles.
It also shuts down characters like Zero and Magneto like no other, both characters that spend a lot of time chilling at superjump height, and are top tier and common.

It's a love/hate relationship. I love how good it is for Dormammu, and I hate playing against them, and I hate using Dr. Doom. Overall, I'd be glad if it got nerfed so I didn't have the urge to use them, and I wouldn't have to play against them, and other Dormammu combinations could shine forth.

It's funny because MvC2 is much more heavily reliant on high/low mixups and anti-air assists provide that necessary coverage and generally have invincibility. In MvC3 left/right mixups are much more prominent and horizontal assist have been given priority.
MvC2 was reliant on high/low mix-ups because there pretty much were no left/right mix-ups, haha. Teleports were baaaad.

Hidden Missiles still functions as a combo breaker and that's why its going to be used a ton. Like said, Doom has saved more lives than any character in the game. Also you missed a couple of anti-air assists including Hawkeye's Scatter shot, Taskmaster's up arrows and Deadpool's Trigger Happy assist.

Other anti-air assist (and by air I mean super jump height, there are actually a decent amount of assists that cover the normal jump height) that can be included is Storm's Typhoon but buffed up dramatically to be closer to Dante's, faster in start up and with more active frames. It will basically operate like a Jam Session only with less hit stun/block stun but it can OTG also so it balances out.

In my patch changes, I would've replaced one of Nova's assist with Energy Javelin. Charged Voomerang too.
Yes, people are right that Hidden Missiles are also good for other reasons, but my point is that the lack of good anti-airs compounds the problem. Personally, I hate using Doom, but as a Morrigan/Dormammu player, naturally I really, really want a good anti-air assist. It's just so good for both of these characters. Realistically, my only options are Hidden Missiles and Dante, because Shuma-Gorath is lolz as an anchor and I spend too much meter to make good use of Strider anchor. So, if I were using my team to the best of its abilities, I'd be playing Morrigan/Dormammu/Doom or Morrigan/Dormammu/Dante, because they're really my only options for this very essential assist role.

And I don't even want to abuse Hidden Missiles, I just want a goddamn anti-air for my team! So, my point is that if there were more good anti-air assists, we wouldn't see Hidden Missiles as often, because there would be more valid team combinations that have a response to a good air game.

Of course Hidden Missiles have other virtues, and it would likely still need changes, but I don't think it would seem as good as it is now if we had other assists with strong anti-air capabilities.

As for the other AA assists you list, I didn't miss them. I only listed good anti-air assists. Trigger Happy and Scatter Shot are too specialized in the area they cover to be useful. Aim Master H doesn't go high enough to knock a Doom that has superjumped and air dashed up out of the air, otherwise I would include it because it's a decent assist.

Also, if anyone says the anti-air component isn't highly important, just ask yourself: why don't characters like Wolverine use Hidden Missiles? Because they don't need air control, they need ground control! Hidden Missiles isn't the best assist for everyone. I think Zero backed by Hidden Missiles is pretty overrated, even. Magneto/Hidden Missiles is so-so.

Thanks for this. I didn't know MP/MH stuffed so many hypers. I'm currently running Hulk/Dorm/Thor. Thinking of switching out Hulk though..not sure with who.
What system do you play on?

I can't imagine that team faring very well. One of the few I'd recommend anchor Dormammu on just so you have comeback potential.

Odinson

What system do you play on?

I can't imagine that team faring very well. One of the few I'd recommend anchor Dormammu on just so you have comeback potential.

xbl

Yea I've done ok with the team, but zoning teams destroy it. I also run firebrand, dorm, switching out the anchor with tasky/doom. I like taskmaster better but I not sure if he fits the team that well.

xbl

Yea I've done ok with the team, but zoning teams destroy it. I also run firebrand, dorm, switching out the anchor with tasky/doom. I like taskmaster better but I not sure if he fits the team that well.
Use Taskmaster's vertical arrows with Firebrand/Dormammu. It's really good for both of them, but sets up some vicious unblockables with Firebrand.

Whoo 911k damage with wesker, one bar one assist ^_^

I can actually kill stuff :-o
Want to prove it? :)

Edit: Oh right, you're on that crappy internet. -_-

I haven't played another person in Persona or Marvel in a month :-(

It sucks, I feel like I'd be playing people all the time if it weren't for this. It's like half the reason I'm so bad. I even tried to get local sessions with people on SRK but nobody's responding...

I haven't played another person in Persona or Marvel in a month :-(

It sucks, I feel like I'd be playing people all the time if it weren't for this. It's like half the reason I'm so bad. I even tried to get local sessions with people on SRK but nobody's responding...
How far away does your family live, anyway?

Ok, I've got like ten minutes panda, let's go.

supposedly they're going to upgrade the internet in the building, but I wouldn't hold on to hope.

fucking updates -_-

Set it up, my update is done and installing now.

aaaand time's up, my girlfriend's here. I'll ask if she wants to watch lol

back in 15, I'll let you know.

I haven't played since I got back up to college and ummm....... Xenoblade consumed a lot of my time as did me doing a massive game iron man. And the PS3 controllers I have are whack.

No idea. Will have to check at home. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom