• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
sf2ebonyivory.jpg

from stream chat.

I'm all right when it comes to this game but not amazing as I've seen from some people here. Specifically, Killa Sasa

Thanks! I play too much, so I guess I should be decent at this game ^_^

I don't think his assist is overrated but you can't put him on every team. You need the point character to be able to cover Sentinel Drones like Magneto and IM (IM + Sentinel is a very good combination). I also think if you weigh in Sentinel as a zoning character with assists backing him up he becomes more threatening, at the very least as strong as Nemesis, Hulk and the other heavy characters. His ability to confirm a combo off of SJ is still really good and he does have a command throw with a solid range. Yeah he's kinda weak to up back but he does have dash unders and cross up frying pan all of which he doesn't have trouble getting in range. Ultimately because people use him at anchor without assists so much he appears worse than he really is because his match up chart is god awful (only beats the really terrible characters 1 on 1). Sentinel also has the one true GTFO move in the game and he is one of like 2 characters who can escape the Firebrand set up. I think Sentinel is the type of character who likes to sit on a life lead not try to cover a life deficit.

Yeah, assists can mitigate some of his problems. But still, I just don't think he has a fear factor attached to him, no real frame traps or bad situations to put you in even compared to the other bigs.

He's fine for cleanup though. And you're right, the way people play him IS pretty bad for the most part. Ray Ray is a wizard though.

Yeah I don't know much about him either... but with the right combos and execution his combos hurtt and he can actually get in and maintain some semblance of pressure. LVL3 is interesting and his assist is very nice in the game's current meta if someone actually plans to use it. He actually got all buffs plus some not listed anywhere.

Yeah, I'd love to see someone take Shuma and show me what he can do. I'm all for more competitive characters. He's just such a question mark to me outside of the few I've played which weren't very good. Full admittance of his placement on my list just being "pin the tail on the donkey."

Thanks.

I fully expect it to be either a Dante (damn hammer spam), Haggar, or Morrigan which bounces me, though. Especially after learning of the power of standing S :).

For Strider, it still feels like it's my fault if I lose to him :/

Good luck at Winter Brawl, Biz. If you lose to a Spider-Man, I won't forgive you~

Honestly though, I have no doubt you'll be fine out there. GAF's tops are better than a lot of what I've seen on streams IMO.

God damn I missed another tier list discussion. Anyone got the hightlights of that DacidBro/Fanatiq tier list discussion?

Fanatiq put Thor at the very bottom. Wright was hilariously as high as Rocket Racoon, and I think higher than Shuma too.

They looked at Honzo's list, and Fanatiq laughed at the notion of Tasky being higher than Hawkeye. He also said that Vergil has no way of opening people up or getting in.

Frantic

God damn I missed another tier list discussion. Anyone got the hightlights of that DacidBro/Fanatiq tier list discussion?
Fanatiq put Dante lower than Storm. Put both Jill and MODOK higher than him, too. I'm pretty sure he claimed Dante doesn't have a lot of tools, does meh damage, and can't open people up.

And yeah, Thor being the worst caused me to laugh really hard.

It was really telling when he had Hulk waaaaaay at the bottom and said "yeah well he could be higher but I've never ever seen someone do good with him so I'm gonna keep him down here." He said that with a few other characters too. Pretty much confirmed that he has no idea about any other characters besides Wesker/Zero/Spencer/Mags/Storm/Sentinel.

Dahbomb

LOL Fanatiq.

Day 0 of UMVC3: Storm is godlike, Sentinel is godlike, Magneto is godlike... TEAM MSS IS GODLIKE!! I AM GODLIKE!!!

Day 7 of UMVC3: Storm is ASS! Vergil is top 5, cheap as fuck character. Sentinel is garbage.

Now: Storm is godlike!! Better than Dante! Thor is the worst. Felicia below Chun Li?

Vergil has no way of opening up people or getting in?

syQ0A.gif

No wonder Fanatiq gets murdered by scrub Vergils.

Dahbomb

Now he's just trolling.

Pretty much confirmed that he has no idea about any other characters besides Wesker/Zero/Spencer/Mags/Storm/Sentinel.
That sounds about right. And Viper too, I think he has her really high too.

I was in shock when Dacidbro tried to explain how Vergil's teleport worked, and Fanatiq kept saying "BUT IT'S SO SLOW, THAT SHIT IS AWFUL."

Dacid: "Yeah it's slow, but the teleport itself is 1-frame so it can be good for mixups with assists, etc."
Fanatiq: "WAT? SHIT IS ASS, IT TAKES WAY TOO LONG TO RECOVER I'LL PUNCH HIM OUT OF IT ALL DAY OR BLOCK."

I also found it weird that Fanatiq was making a big deal about how he doesn't want to rank unproven theory-fighter character highly, but he made exceptions for Modok and Jill cause "they've got the tools!"

Dahbomb

But he gets happy birthday'd by Vergil teleports all day long...

Sounds like someone who looked at a bunch of frame data for Vergil and decided this character sucks. Vergil + Disruptor teleport mix up is one of the most difficult mix ups to block in the game because even if you know he is going to come behind you, he can just as easily fake the teleport and come in front.

He also put Strider in the mid-tier, I think. Dude's kinda crazy, if you ask me.
But he got bodied by Strider at Bar Fights.

I also found it weird that Fanatiq was making a big deal about how he doesn't want to rank unproven theory-fighter character highly, but he made exceptions for Modok and Jill cause "they've got the tools!"
LOL... not saying these characters aren't good (they are both really good) but come on now.

Sounds like someone who looked at a bunch of frame data for Vergil and decided this character sucks. Vergil + Disruptor teleport mix up is one of the most difficult mix ups to block in the game because even if you know he is going to come behind you, he can just as easily fake the teleport and come in front.

That's EXACTLY the mixup they decided to test after Fanatiq claimed he could block it. Dacid tried it a couple times before changing his buttons, and Fanatiq still couldn't block it 100% of the time.

Dahbomb

That's a "standard" Vergil mix up.

A Round trip into Teleport H NOT EVEN THE VERGIL PLAYER is going to know which side he is going to appear on because the RT actually shifts the position of the player and depending on timing you can either appear up forward or up back. This was covered in that FlyingVe video. Expect to see more stuff from him, I submitted some tech and mix ups/resets hopefully he will include them.

Dahbomb

Vergil over Dante is iffy.

Thor at bottom tier is WTF.

Deadpool and Spider Man that low is crazy. Morrigan and MODOK are kinda high but it's ok.

Other than that it's not that bad.

Thor at bottom tier is WTF.

Deadpool and Spider Man that low is crazy. Morrigan and MODOK are kinda high but it's ok.

Other than that it's not that bad.

People are being extremely effective with Morrigan for now. She might drop later on but her spot seems pretty accurate at the moment.

Frantic

If we're going by straight mixup capabilities, I can see why some people would put Vergil over Dante. He definitely has more tricky mixups than Dante does thanks to multiple teleports, Round Trip, Spiral Swords/Blistering Swords, Rapid Slash and that sort of stuff... but overall, Dante > Vergil in general.

Dahbomb

I am never going to argue Vergil over Dante. Even IF Vergil has better mix ups than Dante (which is debatable because Dante has crazy mix ups too plus an actual high/low game), the tools at Dante's disposal means he is going to be relevant no matter the meta game. Plus difference in assist quality. Dante S, Vergil A+.

Morrigan and MODOK could be that high, I am not going to argue that either. I think Morrigan is a bit lower than that, like just outside top 10 range.

LMAO Fanatiq wants to take on DacidBro at Chinese Chess money match. Godlike!

Frantic

I am never going to argue Vergil over Dante. Even IF Vergil has better mix ups than Dante (which is debatable because Dante has crazy mix ups too plus an actual high/low game), the tools at Dante's disposal means he is going to be relevant no matter the meta game. Plus difference in assist quality. Dante S, Vergil A+.
Oh, I would honestly never put Vergil over Dante in just about anything. It's just some people see he has more tools devoted to mixups than Dante, so in some people's eyes Vergil > Dante.

Dahbomb

I think Vergil has a few things over Dante.

*Higher ranged normals. Vergil beats Dante in range and easy mode hit confirms even air to air.

*Full combo off of air throw.

*Easier damage no matter the assists

*Superior anchor play with XF and meter

*Superior lock downs

*Superior mix ups

*Superior DHC synergy and damage (90% of BnB DHCs into Vergil is a TOD)

But Dante has way more stuff (and some more important):

*WWWWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY SAFER in everything he does

*Superior DT options

*Superior air mobility options

*Superior zoning options

*Less reliant on meter

*Superior assist options

*Better meter gain

*More versatility in slot selection and play style

How would people feel if all power up hypers could build meter but only at 1/3 of the usual rate
Vergil would be S tier only below Zero and MAYBE Dante. Easily. Morrigan and Firebrand would be a bit lower.

GatorBait

Thinking of creating a second team with Vergil and Strider.

Would love to hear recommendations for the third character/assist and team order?

DR2K

Banned
Virgil and Dante are in a serious need of reworked hitboxes that's for sure. Especially Virgil. Can the hitbox at least match the animation?

Dahbomb

Virgil and Dante are in a serious need of reworked hitboxes that's for sure. Especially Virgil. Can the hitbox at least match the animation?
Dante's hit boxes already got reworked. A lot of the time Dante is hitting you with the sword and still doesn't connect. Only Vergil's st.H has a hit box that extends beyond the visual animaton. Vergil's j. d+H actually has an inferior hit box to Dante's j.S.

I have seen a bunch of hit boxes in the game but so far nothing has Doom Foot dive beat. Hello hit box on his face. Most of the time if you are getting hit it's usually because your character's own hurt box extends beyond it's surface.

Would love to hear recommendations for the third character/assist and team order?
Norcal seems to love Wesker with that team. I recommend Dante though for Weasel Shot and confirms of Strider Vajra.

Frantic

@Dahbomb, yeah, that's pretty much how I see it too. Although another important thing about Vergil's normals is that they have faster startup than Dante's, allowing him to punish things Dante can't. It also makes Dante's normals prone to being stuffed out up close.

Also, Dante can get a Volcano after a low to the ground airthrow in Ultimate now. It's about as tight of a link as getting Twister was in vanilla. Not very useful, but neat anyways.

How would people feel if all power up hypers could build meter but only at 1/3 of the usual rate
*imagines Zero building meter during lightning loops*

Yeah, no thanks.

JeTmAn81

Does Dante really have a high/low game, though? I've been thinking his mixup game os almost entirely left/right. The only time he seems to get to hit with a low is typically after he's already thrown out an overhead.

GatorBait

Norcal seems to love Wesker with that team. I recommend Dante though for Weasel Shot and confirms of Strider Vajra.

What is the team order/assists of the Norcal team? Would love to pick up Dante sometime eventually, but that may be too much learning with new characters right away.

Dahbomb

Does Dante really have a high/low game, though? I've been thinking his mixup game os almost entirely left/right. The only time he seems to get to hit with a low is typically after he's already thrown out an overhead.
The Grapple forces the opponent to forward roll making it ideal for unblockable set ups with IAD j.H/j.M plus low hitting assist. Vergil can hardly use low hitting assists because his high's are bad, he has to use an overhead hitting assist for unblockables. Plus Dante has double jump for possible fuzzy guards. Best thing Vergil has is j.L instant overhead against tall characters.
What is the team order/assists of the Norcal team? Would love to pick up Dante sometime eventually, but that may be too much learning with new characters right away.
Vergil/Wesker/Strider. As soon as they get a hit confirm with Strider Vajra, they X factor with Vergil off of d/f+H into character kill then mix up the incoming character and kill him by blowing meter built up by XF kill. If Vergil dies, Wesker + Strider duo is enough to wreck shit by itself.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Oh so Philly cops dont care about crips and bloods shooting each other but they care about fire hazards. Lame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom