• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard has great combos but he has no neutral game. He lost his neutral game with the nerf of the Haggar assist. The players who didn't use the broken assists for everything are currently the ones who are doing great in UMvC3. Since they already had a neutral game.

Dahbomb

Dante/Felicia/Strider is godlike. Like I can see that team winning a major if a well known player picks it up. Too much dirtyness on that team.

how are people even running that team now? Dark Wesker is a shell of what he used to be (even Noel is feeling it, he does Lvl 2 Wesker+Shopping cart now more than Dark Wesker), and Dante Lvl 3 is a reset/mixup machine as long as you are smart and don't blow your x-factor time on his gun super. Maybe Wesker/Vergil/Dante so you have Weasel shot for everyone?
Most people run that team in the order of Vergil/Dante/Wesker (Zeus runs it in this order) although it can be run in any order. Dante has the single shot OTG for air throw combos and he really doesn't need much of anything else in the neutral. Vergil has OTG assist for TODs and Spiral Sword set ups and Weasel Shot... this team is basically made around Vergil. Wesker for LVL3XF shenanigans... while not as godlike as before it's still something to be feared and respected plus it still bodies people who love using Sentinel at the back. DHC wise any hyper combos into any hyper. You can even constantly switch characters and still have optimum DHCs/THCs (for Wesker)/assists for any character on point.
Dante
Vergil
Zero
Morrigan
Felicia
Ammy
Dormammu
Doom
Phoenix
Dr. Strange
You are never going to find a team if this is your selection pool. Narrow it down to 2 characters you DEFINITELY want on your main team and the 3rd teammate will be the glue that sticks the team together. Like the way I approached UMVC3... I knew Vergil was going to be on my team and I really wanted IM in (tier lists be damned... IM for life). I originally had Wesker but you know... bandwagoners started calling OG players bandwagoners so I soul searched other characters and ended up with Akuma who complimented both characters well enough. Now I use Vergil (Rapid Slash) / Iron Man (Repulsor or Unibeam depending on match up) / Akuma (Tatsu).

Solune

I would seriously love to have a team with as much synergy all around as Combofiend's vanilla team as long as I could rock the characters I've found an interest in. Combo's 1.0 team was some of the best stuff ever looking at how every part of it complimented something else without single layer gimmicks. The resets were especially entertaining as you could tell that 9 times out of 10, they weren't accidental.

I'm not the type to roster specialize even if a game like this has some of the sickest potential for combinations and the like, but I feel as though I'm going to have to sooner rather than later if I wanna make something unique with that much flexibility.

Also, am I weird for mostly sticking to original colors on my characters? Iconic design ftw. :lol
Back when I played Vanilla, I didn't know who I was gonna use, people were just fucking wrecking me /egoraptor. Eventually moved to Chris on point, then found Zero because of easy ass herpderp mixups and godlike hitboxes, and then Hulk, which later then turned to Dante. That team had good DHC synergy EXCEPT Chris is really hard to DHC into or at least optimal DHC anyways. That's why I actually play him on point even though his horizontal assist is very good.

I think roster specialization isn't required, unless you really want to have your own unique team and show off some fancy shit, Justin plays multiple teams and he has a one or two BnBs plus some mixups, but nothing exceptionally jaw-breaking other than his as usual solid performance.

As for original colors, for sure, if it fits the bill.
I noticed this too. This was especially evident in Tatsu, Richard and Justin's play. I honestly think this is the way to play this game barring if you already have a character who TODs meterless like Zero.
Though I kind of agree, I still have this mentality where, I need to go for that ToD and I haven't stepped my game up to incorporate said resets in combos since my team is built around ToDing including DHC.
For that team I would recommend Morrigan/Vergil/Doom. Blades hyper into Spiral is a godlike DHC not just for damage purposes but also for mix ups or set ups into DT. Vergil + Doom is self sufficient. Vergil can DHC into Sphere Flame from Dimension Slash rather easily if you just wait a bit.
I was just giving an example of a setup, though I agree Morrigan on point would be better in this case. My main point was actually that, if you want to build this type of team, it is inherently more zoning/footsie based because Vergil can't whiff normals and Morrigan primarily zones though she does have good mobility. Also this gets back to my point of, if you play Morrigan, you're most likely going to be going for AV setups/control, or do you want to spend meter on your BnB for Vergil? I guess the versatility is there somewhat.
Honestly, when I'm building teams, assist synergy tends to come first, then DHC synergy, then various other team composition stuff. It's why I'm still a bit apprehensive about Dante/Vergil/Strider. Assist synergy isn't perfect across the board(though it's only really lacking with Vergil on point), and Strider's DHC synergy is pretty bad all around. The only good thing about his DHC is getting him in relatively safely, and DHCing into SS for ToDs.

I am pretty big on team colors, though. If a team can't match colors, I probably won't run that team. :p

Even though Crystal isn't the best OTG, it's still solid and Dante's other assists are godlike. What's lacking with Vergil on point? I guess the biggest thing is Vergil doesn't get alot out of a raw Vajra.

Dahbomb

For Vergil, Vajra is just a one off thing. If he gets a random Vajra hit he has to burn XF to get a full combo off of it. Otherwise Vajra is just a combo extender for Vergil. It's just a not an optimum set up IMO.

Whereas if you do something like Dante/Strider/Vergil, Dante benefits from Vajra immensely and Strider gets decent mileage from Rapid Slash for teleport mix ups and possible combo extenders. Vergil is solely for XF anchor role. Alternatively you can explore the team of Strider/Vergil/Dante where Vergil has Weasel Shot which is all he needs and Strider gets to have two assists for his game (possibly one horizontal and one vertical)... but in this set up you are missing out on the godliness of Vajra.

Team Swordmasters (DSV), Team DMC and Team Trenchcoats all have one thing in common: They all have godlike tools, great point characters, tools and synergy all around... but no one team order among them is the best and you are giving up something in any team set up. Trust me on this I have experimented with these 3 teams greatly to find the ultimate one among them.

Frantic

Even though Crystal isn't the best OTG, it's still solid and Dante's other assists are godlike. What's lacking with Vergil on point? I guess the biggest thing is Vergil doesn't get alot out of a raw Vajra.
I actually use Jam Session for incoming mixups, some combo extension, lockdown and an anti-air. It's great for that, but it's not something that can help Vergil push forward like say Tatsu assist can. Weasel Shot is okay, but it's best for mixups more than anything. Crystal is alright for combo extension, but I don't really like having OTG assists(unless they're also a Low assist). Vergil gets more from Dante's other two assists overall, imo.

As for Vajra... well, it can help with setting up Round Trip on hit, but it still doesn't beat having an actual projectile assist with Vergil. I could change the order from Dante/Vergil/Strider to Dante/Strider/Vergil since Strider gets more from Vergil's assist than vice versa, but then I'll lose SS DHC with Dante. I also don't feel as comfortable with Vergil last, which is more my lack of experience, but I personally think Strider is a better anchor overall(if only because of Formation B).

It's not a huge problem, really. I still enjoy playing the team, and Vergil does have DT and SS to help him out, but there's always going to be something it lacks. As Dahbomb said, there is no 'perfect' way to run the three. You'll always lose something in return for what you gain. That's why I'm still experimenting with different teams on the side. I want to find that 'perfect' third character.

JeTmAn81

While Vajra doesn't help out Vergil as much as it does characters who can get a full combo off OTG without doing anything special (X-Factor, etc.), I did run into a guy online who used it pretty effectively for disrupting my offense and often getting a full combo off Strider hits when I was grounded. Ironically, with Vergil it seems more helpful to keep the opponent out of the air when leveraging Vajra, which is the opposite to the way most people are using him.

Azure J

Dante/Felicia/Strider is godlike. Like I can see that team winning a major if a well known player picks it up. Too much dirtyness on that team.

You are never going to find a team if this is your selection pool. Narrow it down to 2 characters you DEFINITELY want on your main team and the 3rd teammate will be the glue that sticks the team together. Like the way I approached UMVC3... I knew Vergil was going to be on my team and I really wanted IM in (tier lists be damned... IM for life). I originally had Wesker but you know... bandwagoners started calling OG players bandwagoners so I soul searched other characters and ended up with Akuma who complimented both characters well enough. Now I use Vergil (Rapid Slash) / Iron Man (Repulsor or Unibeam depending on match up) / Akuma (Tatsu).

Dante/Felicia/Strider was such a random idea I had after watching STRIIIIDAH on that Frieda stream a while back and the more I think about it, the more it just seems right to me. Frantic can vouch for my enthusiasm on it. :lol

As for your second comment, that is the truth. I'm still breaking out of that "what/who looks cool" phase and although there are good arguments to be made for synergy or good play using teams made from that pool I made, I'm slowly moving more towards the idea of setting up 2 BFFs and balancing them with a good third, whether or not they're someone I was interested in before.

mr. puppy

Banned
Most people run that team in the order of Vergil/Dante/Wesker (Zeus runs it in this order) although it can be run in any order. Dante has the single shot OTG for air throw combos and he really doesn't need much of anything else in the neutral. Vergil has OTG assist for TODs and Spiral Sword set ups and Weasel Shot... this team is basically made around Vergil. Wesker for LVL3XF shenanigans... while not as godlike as before it's still something to be feared and respected plus it still bodies people who love using Sentinel at the back. DHC wise any hyper combos into any hyper. You can even constantly switch characters and still have optimum DHCs/THCs (for Wesker)/assists for any character on point.

Eh I still think Wesker/Vergil/Dante is the best way to run it, especially with how things are going nowadays.....Wesker's assist is great for when you actually get in on a character, but he's great on point and as a meter builder. That Dante/Wesker thing is like some weirdass situation where you have 2 anchors instead of any assist synergy, and I'd rather have Vergil/Dante as my anchors (I gurantee by evo these two will be considered far better anchors than Wesker)

Solune

I actually use Jam Session for incoming mixups, some combo extension, lockdown and an anti-air. It's great for that, but it's not something that can help Vergil push forward like say Tatsu assist can. Weasel Shot is okay, but it's best for mixups more than anything. Crystal is alright for combo extension, but I don't really like having OTG assists(unless they're also a Low assist). Vergil gets more from Dante's other two assists overall, imo.

As for Vajra... well, it can help with setting up Round Trip on hit, but it still doesn't beat having an actual projectile assist with Vergil. I could change the order from Dante/Vergil/Strider to Dante/Strider/Vergil since Strider gets more from Vergil's assist than vice versa, but then I'll lose SS DHC with Dante. I also don't feel as comfortable with Vergil last, which is more my lack of experience, but I personally think Strider is a better anchor overall(if only because of Formation B).

It's not a huge problem, really. I still enjoy playing the team, and Vergil does have DT and SS to help him out, but there's always going to be something it lacks. As Dahbomb said, there is no 'perfect' way to run the three. You'll always lose something in return for what you gain. That's why I'm still experimenting with different teams on the side. I want to find that 'perfect' third character.

I do agree with you that Vergil gets more out of his other assists, although team structure is the most important factor in this case, Vergil with an OTG gets quite a bit more damage than without. But of course opening someone up more than once is more important than damage if you aren't going for that ToD anyways I suppose.

Though I like anchor Vergil, I definitely think that any team with Strider he should be played point or anchor, his DHC (at least so far) doesn't really justify the second spot.

On the third point, I think when I read that Vergil synergy with the other assists is lacking my brain registered it as 'not good' but it should have been 'sufficient' or 'not as good'. I too have a problem with my main team, because I feel Doom beam is too good to pass up for Vergil/Spencer, but Missiles increases both of their damage by a significant amount and doubles up as lockdown. Not to mention me not liking Doom as anchor and wanting to play Vergil on point as opposed to Spencer. Choices are hard.

mr. puppy

Banned
On the third point, I think when I read that Vergil synergy with the other assists is lacking my brain registered it as 'not good' but it should have been 'sufficient' or 'not as good'. I too have a problem with my main team, because I feel Doom beam is too good to pass up for Vergil/Spencer, but Missiles increases both of their damage by a significant amount and doubles up as lockdown. Not to mention me not liking Doom as anchor and wanting to play Vergil on point as opposed to Spencer. Choices are hard.

try to make missiles work. i can't remember where i read it, but somebody pointed out that this game is slowly becoming about who can put the most hit boxes on the screen, and I couldn't agree more.

Sigmaah

Air grabs are so fucking broken, how they FUCK do they work? I wish you couldn't combo after air grabs, just use air grabs to get away from the opponent... I know I air grab someone yet it doesn't work, and when I try to break away, that shit doesn't work either...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just watched Winter Brawl. Was writing a post of my impressions but I got sick over the course of the day and stopped bothering. DJ Huoshen vs. The Losers bracket was my favourite bit. So many hype matches. Good tourney.

All the "put as much shit as possible on screen" characters are gonna get fucked up by beam hypers.
Uh, missiles and Morrigan?

hitsugi

Air grabs are so fucking broken, how they FUCK do they work? I wish you couldn't combo after air grabs, just use air grabs to get away from the opponent... I know I air grab someone yet it doesn't work, and when I try to break away, that shit doesn't work either...

Press H later than you currently are.. at least, that was my problem a long time ago. Sometimes I'd even get grabbed out of an air H when I was trying to tech.

You hit Doom with the beam hyper and xfc and combo him from the beam. Kill Doom and the fireball trap becomes manageable.

In other words, time to celebrate your birthday.

Does any of the 1 or 2 other Raccoon users have any tips for doing the Romket Skates and or the Boulder Loop? They're really giving me trouble X__x

Although it's not like I'll be able to practice them until next weekend because of school...

Also, random comment, but catching random maximum weskers with Frank's servbo head special makes me feel so fucking badass XD

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Marlin's Ammy combos are crazy stylish.

edit: How the hell does he keep managing to add more hits to that Doom TAC combo? o____O

Sloosha

Does any of the 1 or 2 other Raccoon users have any tips for doing the Romket Skates and or the Boulder Loop? They're really giving me trouble X__x

Although it's not like I'll be able to practice them until next weekend because of school...

Also, random comment, but catching random maximum weskers with Frank's servbo head special makes me feel so fucking badass XD

For the Boulder loop - remember that for the initiating rep of the boulder loop you have to lay the boulder trap pretty late after the first dash back.

For the consequent reps, I slightly delay the dash back after the launch-TKBoulder trap sequence. You'll get use to the rhythm once you grind it out more.

Don't really have any tips for the Romket skates. What part is giving you trouble?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So...Viper vs Haggar is like Infinity-0, in her favor. That said, Bum took out Marlinpie in both FT10 sets? I wish he would go out to tourneys.

Bizazedo

try to make missiles work. i can't remember where i read it, but somebody pointed out that this game is slowly becoming about who can put the most hit boxes on the screen, and I couldn't agree more.

I disagree, but with a caveat. I think it depends on the team.

That can work against, say, a point Haggar, but otherwise I think it's about who can get in and do mixups fastest. No matter how much stuff you can throw on screen, the damage is so high that a lot of times, your opponent has to only get in once.

I think, OVERALL, if you're winning with keep away teams it's because you're a better player than your opponent, not that your team is better. Either that or your opponents team sucks.

Or both :).

Morrigan, due to building meter in the mirror hyper, is the only possible exception to that in my mind, but even then..

S'why I think ChrisG can pull it off, he's a superlative player + Morrigan, and even then Justin's team demolished him and MarlinPie is starting to figure it out.

NOW, a hybrid team of keepaway and then seizing random opportunities to attack and do huge combos..that I could see eventually becoming the best.

smurfx

get some go again
You gotta give Haggar 1 point due to lucky lariat into x-factor death combo.
you can easily kill viper with just a regular air throw or throw from haggar. doesn't have to be lariat. command grab her and you should be able to kill her easily if you have 2 meters on hand for a team hyper combo. you need good assist for haggar so he can continue his combos and good thc synergy. zero/task have okay team synergy with haggar. zero has really good synergy but task added to it doesn't work since rekkoha pushes the person up and then tasks arrows don't hit anything and i miss out on damage.

So, what's the archive for the RR and PW stuff that I missed?

Don't really have any tips for the Romket skates. What part is giving you trouble?

Well, first of all I don't think I've seen the actual notation for it. Am I correct in that it's
opponent in the air (A+S/Super Jump->jS->2/3A+S->jS)xN? So far I can get like, 1 rep and one sjS after that, but usually drop it after that. Also, don't really know how I should finish the combo >.>

JeTmAn81

Alright, Xbox Live. I've got my 1-year Gold subscription card. I've got my 360 TE. I have my 360 copy of the game. I have my blazing new home router. Prepare yourselves!

smurfx

get some go again
Alright, Xbox Live. I've got my 1-year Gold subscription card. I've got my 360 TE. I have my 360 copy of the game. I have my blazing new home router. Prepare yourselves!
hey add me on live. my name is in my profile. what characters do you play again?

JeTmAn81

I will get you guys added as soon as I get it up and running this weekend. I don't actually play Magneto though, or at least not on a real team. I hope to someday be good enough to play him for real. Lately my main team has been Wesker/Dante/Strider, and I also have my guilty pleasure team of Hulk/Wesker/Sentinel.

Ken

Started playing this game again on the Vita, but I'm still really scrubby. I was wondering if a team of Taskmaster/Iron Man/Hawkeye would work and what assists/order should I play them in? I'm choosing them based solely on their costumes and appearance so yeah. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom