• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

Taskmaster is a great beginner character. Easy combos, does lots of damage, and fits on just about any team.

Ryu is an awful choice for a beginner, he's made for experienced players who have mastered the frame data of everyone and who knows how to block and punish people with his good normals. If you pick Ryu you're going to start hating this game quickly because you WILL struggle to open people up with him. Sentinel too on paper is someone easy to learn but in reality requires a very good understanding of the game's basics to not get blown up easily. I personally recommend you to try something like Wesker/Spencer/Akuma instead if you want a team to teach you the basics of this game.

You think Spencer is easier than Sentinel? Yeah, I don't agree with that one at all.

What do you guys think the best overall offensive/defensive/utility assists are in the game? Considering all factors, including the character attached to it.

Offensive: EMD
  • Super quick beam, great for mixups
  • 1 hit keeps decay down, perfect for linking moves that don't normally combo

Defensive: Doom missiles
  • Full screen coverage
  • godlike active frames
  • doubles as a lockdown and otg in a pinch

Utility: Slant Shot
  • Quick, drags opponent like hyper grav
  • Only assist in the game to leave the opponent in standing state, creating infinite reset potential

lsslave

Jew Gamer
It seems there is some disagreements going on hahaha

Alright, let me ask this then, what is the best way to work on improving on my technique? Playing missions / training mode to learn the stuff is one thing but anything in particular to work on technique?

The basic missions(the upper ones are just crap), watching vids, experimenting in the training room after watching to replicate BnB and tech seen, and playing offline with a friend. Then if you want to play online, hit training under lag.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Someone explain all of this drama connected to some video that Arturo leaked recently. I feel like I'm out of the loop.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
The basic missions(the upper ones are just crap), watching vids, experimenting in the training room after watching to replicate BnB and tech seen, and playing offline with a friend. Then if you want to play online, hit training under lag.

The upper ones? Like the high level missions aren't worth doing?

BiggNife

Alright, let me ask this then, what is the best way to work on improving on my technique? Playing missions / training mode to learn the stuff is one thing but anything in particular to work on technique?
Combo execution is important, but the only way you're going to improve is through real match experience. Try playing with a friend locally (if you don't have anyone to play locally then play player matches online) and see if you can apply the skills you learned through mission/practice in a real match. Don't get frustrated if you get destroyed - it happens. Figure out where you went wrong and learn from it. If someone is using a strategy that you can't figure out (Figuring out how to get through Sentinel laser spam is usually something most beginners have to deal with), just go into practice, record the AI doing the move you have trouble dealing with, and then practice until you come up with a solution.

Not every character's later missions are useless (Nova and Wesker, for example), but in general I agree.

The upper ones? Like the high level missions aren't worth doing?
Typically, Missions 7 and above for each character are basically style combos for difficulty's sake. There are a handful that are actually useful in fights, but those are rare.

Tobe

learn a corner and midscreen BnB, learn proper spacing tho marvel isnt the type of game you could learn this in a good manner maybe ST or AE, play against armor characters, also play patiently and build character, why is justin wong godlike in this game and well pretty much any fighting game? cause he has character and he isnt nuts he plays patiently.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Combo execution is important, but the only way you're going to improve is through real match experience. Try playing with a friend locally (if you don't have anyone to play locally then play player matches online) and see if you can apply the skills you learned through mission/practice in a real match. Don't get frustrated if you get destroyed - it happens. Figure out where you went wrong and learn from it. If someone is using a strategy that you can't figure out (Figuring out how to get through Sentinel laser spam is usually something most beginners have to deal with), just go into practice, record the AI doing the move you have trouble dealing with, and then practice until you come up with a solution.

Not every character's later missions are useless (Nova and Wesker, for example), but in general I agree.

Typically, Missions 7 and above for each character are basically style combos for difficulty's sake. There are a handful that are actually useful in fights, but those are rare.

I don't get frustrated, sometimes when stressed I do the whole *deep breath* "mind over matter" zen moment but not to the degree that my roomie does (screams at Call of Duty at 8 AM and waked me up every morning, he is 36!)

I had a feeling the missions seemed silly kind of, I was thinking that their execution really didn't work for me in that they all seemed to focus on ending the combo and I keep losing from combos that don't end

Dirtbag

Beginner's team:

Wolverine (damage, will teach you the ropes of marvel rushdown), Ammy (lockdown assist, hit H combos), Wesker (x-factor)

It doesnt get any easier then that.

BiggNife

Also, if you really want to learn a character, check out the character forums on SRK - there you can find out what that character's most common bread and butter combos are, and usually you can find some extremely helpful videos.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Times have changed since I was a kid and was the first one I knew to master Shoryuken hahaha! (That was the edge, once I dominated the air I dominated the game in SF2, and played it to death... except Blanka. He has always been my weak point as Ken)

Someone explain all of this drama connected to some video that Arturo leaked recently. I feel like I'm out of the loop.

Arturo streamed from his iPhone Ross and Jago talking about how Jago threw that SFxT match and how they didn't shake hands to push there rivalry over the edge and how it was set up from the beginning. To make money and all that. So pretty much what us cynicals thought from the get go.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Arturo streamed from his iPhone Ross and Jago talking about how Jago threw that SFxT match and how they didn't shake hands to push there rivalry over the edge and how it was set up from the beginning. To make money and all that. So pretty much what us cynicals thought from the get go.

Is this where the whole "Capcom is killing e-sports" joke comes from?

Sixfortyfive

More or less what I thought, but thanks for the confirm.

Pretty much sums up my disdain for spectator-oriented events. "Ain't about that playing anymore. It's all about dat paper." lol

What do you guys think the best overall offensive/defensive/utility assists are in the game? Considering all factors, including the character attached to it.

Offensive: EMD
  • Super quick beam, great for mixups

Defensive: Doom missiles
  • Full screen coverage
  • godlike active frames
  • doubles as a lockdown and otg in a pinch

Utility: Slant Shot
  • Quick, drags opponent like hyper grav
  • Only assist in the game to leave the opponent in standing state, creating infinite reset potential

Greyhound is just absolutely amazing IMO. It just puts out so much god damn pressure and allows you to get in easier.

Dahbomb

Repulsor Blast:

*Covers a good portion of the screen all around the point character
*Juggles the opponent for a bit, characters with aerial ground bounce moves can easily feed off of this
*Locks down opponents in block stun, GREAT for setting up in coming mix ups
*Functions as one of the very few anti-air assists in the game
*Eats up projectiles because it counts as a projectile itself
*Not a lot of hits so doesn't scale the combo too much

Extremely underrated assist that will always be out picked by the Unibeam.

Akuma Tatsu:

*Excellent horizontal hit box
*Absorbs projectiles
*Doesnt scale combo too heavily
*Locks down opponent for a considerable time. Excellent for pressure, mix ups and in coming set ups.
*Comes out surprisingly fast
*Can pick up opponents off the ground EASILY if an OTG move is used prior to calling the assist
*One of the best assists for catching opponents after teleport mix ups or back roll/front roll situations or fuzzy guard set ups

Top 3 assist in the game still.

Yeah and Spencer is not a beginner character at all. His normals arent that great, he has screen specific combos and unique mobility that makes him a hard pick for beginner. Ryu is way easier to get into than Spencer, hell Ryu was one of my first characters too. Just spam air Tatsumaku L and hit people on the cross up or do overheads.

Sucks that Justin Wong is going to Shadowloo this year. Seasons Beating Summer edition just got a lot less hype without ChrisG, MarlinPie and Justin Wong (top 3 at Winter Brawl).

Sixfortyfive

I just don't think Ryu shows you the basics of Marvel in the same way he does for SF. He's not an easy character to play.

Dahbomb

He's easy to play with but hard to win with. If that makes sense.

He has some easy mode stuff that new comers can abuse. Damaging ABCS BBCS hyper combo, safe on block launcher, mashable cr.L, most normals on block are safe so he can literally hit confirm using ABCS, abusable beam hyper that he can aim, power up hyper to make himself safe if he needs to, comboable/cancellable overhead.

I would say Taskmaster is a better choice, he is truly the Ryu of this game.

Dahbomb

Yeah Hulk/Sentinel/Wesker is better.

Watching FGTV and holy shit PRBalrog running a fucking train through CJ Showstopper. Playing Spencer/Dante/Felicia and raping the crap out of the Haggar assist with the Spencer + Dante THC. FChamp jizzing himself at the THC shenanigans. The score is like 70-4 or some thing... it's fucking free up in here.

And PRBalrog got himself a MEAN ASS PUSSY. Dark Pussy to be exact.

CJ just won a match with his Vergil team. Its 91-5 now hahaha.

Sixfortyfive

PR Rog plays Felicia in pretty much the same way I do, just with more consistent combos. Lots of slides, ADK, and Kitty Helper. Not so much Cat Spike or command grab.

LakeEarth

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am interested to hear why you don't think Spencer is easy. Sure he has some cool up-grapple combos that are hard to do (especially midscreen), but we're talking beginners here. ABCS BBCS OTG wire, Bionic Arm. Forward assist + wire to get in all day. XF3 bullshit.

Compared to Wesker, he's not as easy mode (shittier normals, launcher is actually punishable), but he's gotta be in the "easy to play" category of characters.

kirblar

I am interested to hear why you don't think Spencer is easy. Sure he has some cool up-grapple combos that are hard to do (especially midscreen), but we're talking beginners here. ABCS BBCS OTG wire, Bionic Arm. Forward assist + wire to get in all day. XF3 bullshit.

Compared to Wesker, he's not as easy mode (shittier normals, launcher is actually punishable), but he's gotta be in the "easy to play" category of characters.
Command movement (Spencer, Spider-Man) is not really the place you want to be as a beginner. Spencer's only scary once you get used to moving him around the screen.

Amaterasu's also a good starter character, simply because of how easy her basic combos are.

smurfx

get some go again
no that isn't what happened. they were all friendly in the car pretty much confirming the rivalry was all fake to begin with. this was obvious when they talked about how mike ross was supposed to slap away jago's handshake at the end of the match but mike ross ended up walking away. the funniest part in all of this was the shit storm later on at long island joe's stream that had triforce and a bunch of other guys fighting.

Azure J

Yeah Hulk/Sentinel/Wesker is better.

Watching FGTV and holy shit PRBalrog running a fucking train through CJ Showstopper. Playing Spencer/Dante/Felicia and raping the crap out of the Haggar assist with the Spencer + Dante THC. FChamp jizzing himself at the THC shenanigans. The score is like 70-4 or some thing... it's fucking free up in here.

And PRBalrog got himself a MEAN ASS PUSSY. Dark Pussy to be exact.

CJ just won a match with his Vergil team. Its 91-5 now hahaha.

Rog's playing Dante on his main team? With Felicia on cleanup? Godlike.

By the way, Mean Ass Pussy/Dark Pussy is seriously one of the funniest lexicons I've ever run into in a game community. #dead

no that isn't what happened. they were all friendly in the car pretty much confirming the rivalry was all fake to begin with. this was obvious when they talked about how mike ross was supposed to slap away jago's handshake at the end of the match but mike ross ended up walking away. the funniest part in all of this was the shit storm later on at long island joe's stream that had triforce and a bunch of other guys fighting.

Oh wow, so that explains where this staged meme comes from. Shit's bowing up faster than 8.95.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And then it caused Mike Ross to get on stream to dodge the question from Sp00ky if the rivalry is fake, only to own up to it and actually apologize later.

Yesterday was a crazy day, even after that there was the whole Haunts/Jared/Aris/Miranda thing which ended up getting at least 5 GAFers banned.. well 4 and a hilarious dupe account.

smurfx

get some go again
And then it caused Mike Ross to get on stream to dodge the question from Sp00ky if the rivalry is fake, only to own up to it and actually apologize later.

Yesterday was a crazy day, even after that there was the whole Haunts/Jared/Aris/Miranda thing which ended up getting at least 5 GAFers banned.. well 4 and a hilarious dupe account.
can you explain that? i heard about haunts popping off and something about jared too. i know something else happened with aris and miranda but i don't know the details.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
can you explain that? i heard about haunts popping off and something about jared too. i know something else happened with aris and miranda but i don't know the details.
I missed the start but Haunts apparently phoned up Jared who was ducking calls and e-mails from him, and they started discussing the death of Frame Trap and how each of them have different views on how the FGC should evolve.

It quickly turned into a discussion about the place shit-talking has in the FGC, Aris started saying things like the if you take away sexual harassment from the FGC, you take away what makes the FGC what it is. Miranda wanted to chime in but got hushed promptly. GAF started arguing about whether Aris crossed the line or not when it came to what he was arguing. GunbladeV got banned for saying some stupid shit. He posted again a second later using his alt account GunbladeX, got promptly banned too. Timedog and KingOfSarus got banned for arguing and telling eachother to GTFO. Someone else got banned too I believe.

IMO, Aris went beyond just saying "shit-talking is needed in the FGC" and began over-justifying why sexual harassment explicitly needs to be preserved, and indeed did cross a line beyond joking around to prove a point about shit-talking. But yeah.

Sixfortyfive

I missed the start but Haunts apparently phoned up Jared who was ducking calls and e-mails from him, and they started discussing the death of Frame Trap and how each of them have different views on how the FGC should evolve.

It quickly turned into a discussion about the place shit-talking has in the FGC, Aris started saying things like the if you take away sexual harassment from the FGC, you take away what makes the FGC what it is. Miranda wanted to chime in but got hushed promptly. GAF started arguing about whether Aris crossed the line or not when it came to what he was arguing. GunbladeV got banned for saying some stupid shit. He posted again a second later using his alt account GunbladeX, got promptly banned too. Timedog and KingOfSarus got banned for arguing and telling eachother to GTFO. Someone else got banned too I believe.

IMO, Aris went beyond just saying "shit-talking is needed in the FGC" and began over-justifying why sexual harassment explicitly needs to be preserved, and indeed did cross a line beyond joking around to prove a point about shit-talking. But yeah.
God, the worst thing you can do in an argument with Mr. Jared is prove his point for him. I'm so sick of his concern trolling.

Greyhound is just absolutely amazing IMO. It just puts out so much god damn pressure and allows you to get in easier.

That's triple shot, right? Definitely one of the best assists in the game, absolutely competes with EMD.

Repulsor Blast:

*Covers a good portion of the screen all around the point character
*Juggles the opponent for a bit, characters with aerial ground bounce moves can easily feed off of this
*Locks down opponents in block stun, GREAT for setting up in coming mix ups
*Functions as one of the very few anti-air assists in the game
*Eats up projectiles because it counts as a projectile itself
*Not a lot of hits so doesn't scale the combo too much

Extremely underrated assist that will always be out picked by the Unibeam.

Akuma Tatsu:

*Excellent horizontal hit box
*Absorbs projectiles
*Doesnt scale combo too heavily
*Locks down opponent for a considerable time. Excellent for pressure, mix ups and in coming set ups.
*Comes out surprisingly fast
*Can pick up opponents off the ground EASILY if an OTG move is used prior to calling the assist
*One of the best assists for catching opponents after teleport mix ups or back roll/front roll situations or fuzzy guard set ups

Top 3 assist in the game still.
Repulsor Blast is an awesome assist for giving teleporters a bad day. I think tatsu a more specialized now because it doesn't reach nearly as far, but it's still a really good assist. Gets fucked up by EMD assist, though. Personally, I'd rather group assists into best offensive and defensive because there isn't an assist that clearly stands out for every team. Doom Missiles and Sent Drones work for both, but there are usually better options. I think the best utility assists are generally pretty clear, though. Low Shot, Slant Shot, Dark Harmonizer, etc.

Apoc87

Banned
I had mvc3 on Ps3. Purchased costume pack 1, Jill, and shuma.

Found out umvc was coming out, got pissed and deleted the game data and game saves from my hard drive.

I'm going to buy umvc today, and just found out about the unlocks you can get from having vanilla dlc. But the problem is, all my vanilla data was deleted months ago. Is there any way I can still get the unlocks in ultimate? Do I have to download vanilla dlc from psn again, or is the data somehow still on my hdd?

Tobe

i only use drones cause how much time they remain on the screen. everything else just feels too fast for me, doesnt give me enough cover.

I had mvc3 on Ps3. Purchased costume pack 1, Jill, and shuma.

Found out umvc was coming out, got pissed and deleted the game data and game saves from my hard drive.

I'm going to buy umvc today, and just found out about the unlocks you can get from having vanilla dlc. But the problem is, all my vanilla data was deleted months ago. Is there any way I can still get the unlocks in ultimate? Do I have to download vanilla dlc from psn again, or is the data somehow still on my hdd?

check your download history on psn and download it again.

You use Magneto, though, right? He doesn't need anything but active frames, the rest he can handle by himself. That's why every Magneto uses Drones or Missiles. He doesn't need to be babysat like teleporters.

...aren't both of those kinda bad with Vergil, though? He doesn't have great lockdown mixups as far as I know, just left/right stuff. Wouldn't you be better off with a faster assist with a bigger hitbox?

SmokeMaxX

Taskmaster is a great beginner character. Easy combos, does lots of damage, and fits on just about any team.

You think Spencer is easier than Sentinel? Yeah, I don't agree with that one at all.
What's not to get? Spencer is 10x the character Sentinel is (assists included) and probably at least 2-3x easier. Sentinel has some of the lowest health in the game, one of the biggest hitboxes, and terrible normals. Play ANYONE competent at the game with him and see if you don't want to rip your hair out. I've asked like 5 different people what the best way to improve my sentinel was and they all said "don't play sentinel."

Burning Water

Neo Member
What's not to get? Spencer is 10x the character Sentinel is (assists included) and probably at least 2-3x easier. Sentinel has some of the lowest health in the game, one of the biggest hitboxes, and terrible normals. Play ANYONE competent at the game with him and see if you don't want to rip your hair out. I've asked like 5 different people what the best way to improve my sentinel was and they all said "don't play sentinel."

I dunno, man. Yeah, Spencer is 10x the character Sentinel is, but that's taking into account how well someone understands the game. A new player will pick up Spencer and be like "this guy sucks, he can't do anything," and then use Sentinel with drones assist and go to town. Why? Sentinel has projectiles, hits hard, has a derp assist, and has armor. It's not until after a player gains more experience with the game that he/she can understand and utilize the tools that Spencer possesses over Sentinel.

I thought I was in the wrong thread for a second. Sentinel's assist is still godlike and it is still a great character to play.

It's not that black and white.

Dahbomb

...aren't both of those kinda bad with Vergil, though? He doesn't have great lockdown mixups as far as I know, just left/right stuff. Wouldn't you be better off with a faster assist with a bigger hitbox?
When someone is using a lockdown assist with Vergil... they aren't using it for mix ups but to actually lock them down. Using Round Trip "trick" and Spiral Swords you can create oppressive block strings for some sick chip damage while also leaving gaps in between to mix them if you need to. Hidden Missiles is probably the best assist for this purpose.

Vergil has no real good lock down mix up aside from an instant overhead against tall characters. He is almost entirely a right/left mix up character like Strange.

Magneto is awesome ^_^ Best anchor, or best anchor? Great damage, great movement, great assist, can zone and rush with no major weaknesses.
Phoenix and Strider are 2 best anchors in the game. Vergil with meter is a better anchor than either Phoenix and Strider... even head on. Magneto and Dormammu are best anchors if no meter and XF is in the equation which is very rare in anchor situations (unless you play teams where you blow XF/meter early). Magneto probably edges out because of his assist.

Top 5 Best Anchors in the game:

1) Phoenix
2) Strider
3) Magneto
4) Dormammu
5) Vergil

Honorable mentions to Dark Pussy.

BiggNife

I'm not saying Spencer isn't a great character (he certainly is), but I don't think he's beginner friendly one bit. His best combos require good timing and a lot of practice.

Like Burning Water said, I think Sent is fine for someone starting out because he can zone, has a great assist, and simple combos. Also he's a good character to teach patience, because most people will quickly realize you can't just spam his launcher and expect to win.

On a higher playing level, Sentinel becomes more difficult to use effectively. But for someone just starting out, I don't think he's a bad character to use to get the hang of the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom