• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Vergil, Taskmaster and Ryu are all of similar body size and structure (normal weight and size). Vergil and Task both uses swords so there's that.

Number notation is the worst.
---------------------------------------
Joe = Speedy battery. Depending on what team I'm fighting, he's either a hit counter for Frank, or a Slow set-up machine to cripple the opponent.
Frank = Joe's tag-team partner playa. Starts mopping things up as early as Level 3. Once he hits Level 4, he becomes a deathbringer. Can also work with Ryu (if I'm using him) to speed up the leveling process, or with Joe to do big damage into Slow.
Ryu = Best anchor. Punishes assists, works well with Frank, does big damage.
Doom = Missiles.
No, I meant Symmetry. For example Hulk is too fat for my team (lol)

Good thing Degen isn't here to read this.
KuGsj.gif

Dahbomb

But his team is all made of fat asses so it's perfectly symmetrical.

Hearing about this has given me an idea... what is craziest criteria/theme for a team you have set yourself with?

I tried to come up with a team where I could play characters of the same hair color (white hair). I came up with Vergil/Dante/Magneto. Really godly team actually too bad I suck with Magneto and Dante.

Team capes is pretty bad ass too. Magneto/Doom/Taskmaster. Not nearly as popular as team trenchcoats though.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Too bad there is a shortage of SF characters, I could make a team of Rufus , Honda, and Hulk and be god tier

Edit: Also Dahbomb, I was thinking of making Team Douchebag

Wesker (Sunglasses), Deadpool (attitude), Wolverine (FUCK WOLVERINE)

Azure J

Hearing about this has given me an idea... what is craziest criteria/theme for a team you have set yourself with?

I tried to come up with a team where I could play characters of the same hair color (white hair). I came up with Vergil/Dante/Magneto. Really godly team actually too bad I suck with Magneto and Dante.

Team capes is pretty bad ass too. Magneto/Doom/Taskmaster. Not nearly as popular as team trenchcoats though.

I have my pocket old love which was Team Devil's Night Out with some combination of the Sparda Bros & Morrigan (and recently Felicia) that I still mess around with in theory and practice when I'm bored. It's not the greatest or flashiest team, but it's great fun.

How would you guys analyze your team structure?

Basically the way my team flows is

Dormammu/Spencer/Magneto - mid screen zoning and mixup pressure(Neutral Configuration)
DHC combo to
Spencer/Dormammu/Magneto - massive damage and mixups on incoming characters, meter building and kill combos(Tank Configuration)
or TAC to
Magneto/Spencer/Dormammu - high speed pressure game and resets(Assault Configuration)
then raw tag combo back to Nautral or DHC into inverted Tank Config

with character deaths:
Spencer/Magneto - maximum safe poke options, weaker incoming mixups
Dormammu/Magneto - strongest mixups, reduced combo and reset potential
Spencer/Dormammu - Strong incoming mixups, reduced safe options

Anchors:
Magneto: Oh my god the speed and damage
Dormammu: Oh my god the chip damage
Spencer: You can't run. You can't run, don't you know who I am?

You've just way more eloquently expressed the thought train I've been using lately to construct different teams. Good shit.

Current is Dante (Jam Session/Weasel Shot)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)/Strider (Vajra)

Team flow:

Dante/Felicia/Strider - Neutral Configuration: Paced rushdown (lots of dash up games of chicken hopefully forcing people to flinch while thinking "what's next"); If I feel like going all in mode, unblockables are enabled by the Dante/Felicia pairing, up-back and air control handled with good Vajira calls when necessary. Dante capitalizes amazingly from the hard knockdown when a character is caught out of the air, making this a great asset and preventing timer scam chases as long as the assist is covered well.

DHC to Felicia/Dante/Strider - Secondary config; After a DT, usually to a Kitty Helper for shenanigans. Felicia gets the same milage Dante does from Vajira and gets Weasel Shot (safer to call for this) to play with. (There are times when I play with Jam Session too but I'll let you know if I think of or experience something with that assist that calls for attention.) Combined with the (surprisingly underused) Cat Crawl, this has great left-right mixup potential. Seriously, it feels like outside of the enthusiasts, no one ever expects Cat Crawl. :lol

-- I fall apart in thinking how things work right about here since I never really thought about what Strider on point would get from my other two characters, but if I can be silly, I love his reset potential and in this configuration I get access to Dark Pussy shenanigans. XF3 Felicia is right under the elder god tier of "Dark" anchors. :lol

With Character Deaths:

Felicia/Strider: see notes from above. More than competent with this config, kitty loves her hard knockdown.
Dante/Strider: Endless combos son. Also, potential extensions for damage in places where Dante's hitstun would make it improbable to continue them.
Dante/Felicia: Ol' reliable as proven by Josh Wong. Unblockable setups everywhere
Felicia/Dante: Left-rights all day; if running with Jam Session, I still get some semblance of air control with the added bonus of striking outside of their visible range if they're blindly super jumping around.

Anchors:

Dante: One touchand it's mixups all day long. Hard part is getting that touch however.

Felicia: My favorite anchor honestly. All the tools plus an absurd speed boost makes sure she'll never not be in your face. Also I <3 command grabs. Shoutouts to Makoto.

Strider: Godlike anchor, you've heard it all before. Orbs, bird incoming mixups, Frantic's pretty cool tiger grounded resets and of course motherfucker moves like Ichigo vs. Byakuya in XF3. Shit is straight "which way do I block" mode for some people. Health makes me scared at times, especially with my Day 1 fighting game level execution, but I hope to grow with the game and like this configuration too much to change.

These's still more work I can do to optimize the team, but this one is the one I'm most proud of and have the most fun messing with.

mr. puppy

Banned
congrats to you all with teams, i back on my dante/firebrand/task team that was my OG ultimate team, but I don't know how long i'm gonna run it. watching Zak Bennett roll with firebrand made me a least interested in it for awhile, and i'll probably switch firebrand to point.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Thor- Battery so long as I go for resets, can zone a lttle with Hawkeye, hits like a truck, not that good of an assist
Hulk- User. Uses meter for Gamma Crushing bad Supers, keep Gamma charge safe if I fuck up. Baby easy combos though they don't do that much damage since I don't have an otg assist. Also is a GTFO assist.
Hawkeye- Anchor works well with Thor, works meh with Hulk. Is only a great anchor if the opponent has run out of Xfactor.

Eh my team isn't good at all lol.

smurfx

get some go again
well looks like another one of this threads regulars has bit the dust. i was surprised to see puppy banned since he just posted and then i saw the post before that one.

shaowebb

Taskmaster is a good pick. It also gives you some nice DHC stuff for Ryu as well. I guess when it comes to Ryu it comes down to two things. Do you need bigger combos or do you need help getting a hit in and preventing someone from zoning you out?

If its a zoning deal then you need a projectile or heavy lockdown type of assist to aid him. If you're fine in staying safe from zoning tactics with him then you need someone with a good OTG as Ryu has to burn a meter to get an OTG in his combos via Shinko Hadoken beam. This is why I liked Iron Fist Ryu. Flame Pillar into Shinko was great DHC (and vice versa) and if Ryu was out he gained Crescent Heel assist to extend combos similar to how Chris G used Wesker Low Shot with his own Ryu stuff. The team really works better with it setup Ryu/Iron Fist/anchor but I love Iron fist too much to take him off point. Besides the lockdown assist is what the anchor character was for in that team. I tended to use Hulk Gamma Wave, or Sent Drones, but I really wanted to learn Doom (fucking gun kept coming out in corner combos for me).

Like I said though my game has dust on it, but thats still my take on Ryu's needs so far as an assist goes. With Vergil in front i'd go for a lockdown guy thats good on his lonesome more than an OTG, but then again thats me. You may be better at handling zoning games like doom+strider than me with him. If you're cozy then go for the OTG. Wesker would be my choice for one at anchor. Its just how you win in this game if you need an anchor thats great who has to have an OTG assist thats good on their own.

How would you guys analyze your team structure?

Spider-Man/Hawkeye/X-23 (Team Maximum Spider) - light mid screen zoning and tons of aerial pressure, heavy pressure once inside and solid damage/reset potential. Battery city. Can capitalize against most characters/team compositions if correct tactics are taken. Happy birthday kill ability. Can DHC right through if need be, and heavy damage or positioning DHC ability with Hawkeye. Hard to see this team run out of meter.

Damage goes down as DHC's move around, as does synergy somewhat, but Hawkeye is glue that allows characters to DHC back to proper order. Will run Hawkeye on point to deal with specific matchups Spider-Man can't handle.

with character deaths:
Hawkeye/X-23 - solid Hawkeye zoning, duo can handle entire cast, decent incoming mixup with both mostly revolving around hitbox trickery. If Spider-Man has done his job, Dirt Nap is available. Gimlet DHC to WXP is always an option. X-23 is easily one of the best XF2 characters, and Triple Arrow backing her makes her an even bigger threat. Invincibility/reach of WXP and/or quickness of Gimlet DHC's make countering with specific hyper types a threat.

Spider-Man/Hawkeye - strongest mixups, reduced combo and reset potential. Still will have enough bar that makes general zoning xx Gimlet a 500k+ threat from full screen for pressing a button at the wrong time. Invincibility of CA and speed/angle of MS give Spidey a safe way out for a relatively safe DHC to Hawkeye.

Spider-Man/X-23 - Weak incoming mixups, reduced safe options, no DHC from MS unless 4 bars are used altogether (albeit for a kill anyway). Web Ball or Swing is a decent extender

Anchors:
Spider-Man: Worst anchor on the team but can make stuff happen if he manages to catch someone.

Hawkeye: gets lamed out in anchor but can make it work. Lotsa chip.

X-23: Can be lamed out as well, but if she manages to kill the second character with a decent amount of bar, third one is likely dead due to dirt nap. Most illegitimate wins and best anchor on team. Can easily run through a team like a hot knife through butter with XF, and doesn't really need assists to play her game. Solid solo damage and most mixup as anchor.

Tobe

i dont know how i would analyze my team but it would be called Magneto/Wolverine/Sentinel(or Akuma) (Team i cant DHC Glitch)

njean777

So I run Dante/Ryu/The Dog from Okami (I forgot the name lol) how is this teams symmetry? I love combining dantes gun hyper with delaying to Ryu's Hadoken hyper. I have a couple of questions though.

What is the point of X-factor? I know it makes your moves hurt more (I assume) but what is the full point of it? Sorry guys I am a complete noob, and I just got this game for the vita and love it so far.

So I run Dante/Ryu/The Dog from Okami (I forgot the name lol) how is this teams symmetry? I love combining dantes gun hyper with delaying to Ryu's Hadoken hyper. I have a couple of questions though.

What is the point of X-factor? I know it makes your moves hurt more (I assume) but what is the full point of it? Sorry guys I am a complete noob, and I just got this game for the vita and love it so far.

It's a comeback mechaism, this game like other fighting games gives a lot of momentum to the player who lands a hit, but unlike other fighting games this game is a team game and the person who loses a character is put on a huge disadvantage. X factor is meant to give that player something to balance out so that he has a better chance of making a comeback. But of course this gives the argument that X Factor is rewarding the losing player, but then without it this game would be reduced to a contest of seeing who lands a hit first and the high stakes, low margin of error nature of this game would disappear.

Solune

Well Amaterasu might fit in well if she wasn't on all fours, probably need someone taller for that.

Serious answer, X-Factor can be used to capitalize on punishing by using it during your opponents block string, or catching two characters (Also called a "happy birthday") It also negates block damage if you get desperate or need to save a character and prevent them from dying.

Dahbomb

HAHAHA Tony smacked Thor in the face.

WHO'S YOUR GOD NOW?

X factor is the most powerful mechanic in the game. The point of it is to help you win the game in any way possible. It has a ton of purposes and it's up to the player to use it at the correct time to grab the win. It has the following properties:

*Grants your character additional damage and speed. It's different for each character. The boosts go up with each character you have lost so your last character's X factor is extremely powerful. The duration of XF also increases with the number of character deaths.

*You are immune from taking chip/block damage during the remainder of X factor.

*You regain red health during X factor (along with your teammates) as long as you aren't getting hit or blocked.

*It cancels your block stun so you can use it to punish moves that are usually punishable and kill a character off of it.

*It can cancel any of your attacks allowing you to extend combos that wouldn't otherwise combo, do additional damage or other means of offense. Can be used in the air as well of course. It can also be used to make a move safe that isn't otherwise safe on block.

There are numerous ways to use it in battle to gain the upper hand. You grab two characters in a combo, X factor to kill them both and then mix up their incoming character. You want to kill off the heart of their team in a combo... turn on X Factor. You want to save the heart of your team if he gets pressured or puts out an unsafe move ready to be punished. If you have lost all your characters, you can mount a comeback with X factor LVL3 or deny a comeback using XF guard cancel after they have burnt their. You can use X factor to chip out a character or make them burn their X factor to avoid chip damage or burn it yourself to save yourself from chip. In UMVC3 it can also be used to avoid a very difficult to block set up because it can be used in the air.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So messing around tonight I found out that Captain America ... I am fucking good with him! And his symmetry goes with my team!

I feel like I could be good with Taskmaster but DAMN is it taking time, and the Cap is symmetrical to Ryu and Vergil so! We might just have our team!

Cap / Ryu / Verge!

After another hiatus I got this on 360.

I'm still ass so lets just pretend that this the first time I touched the game. Thinking about running Viper/_ /Spencer and I'm not sure who to go with for the middle. Obviously I want viper to get in so a nice assist that controls space would be useful. I got Spencer for that slant shot assist and his general utility

I think once I finally settle on a team, I'll start playing them and learning the game properly. For now though I keep jumping around and getting blown up with every combination I can think of. Those are two characters that appeal to me so far and I'd like to make them work.

Yo Marvel, show me the light

BiggNife

So messing around tonight I found out that Captain America ... I am fucking good with him! And his symmetry goes with my team!

I feel like I could be good with Taskmaster but DAMN is it taking time, and the Cap is symmetrical to Ryu and Vergil so! We might just have our team!

Cap / Ryu / Verge!

Cap's a good beginner character, and works well on point. I recommend using Vergil's rapid slash assist, if you don't already - not only does it help Cap get close by applying pressure, but you can use it to relaunch combos in the corner with Cap.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Cap's a good beginner character, and works well on point. I recommend using Vergil's rapid slash assist, if you don't already - not only does it help Cap get close by applying pressure, but you can use it to relaunch combos in the corner with Cap.

I've been using it a lot, I really enjoy how easily I can bail myself out with it in emergency as well (if I lose control of them in the air and they get ground before I do)

Also, I have a second team to work with. Task / Zero / Wesker. I found I had some good synergy with them but Zero does throw off the symmetry a little bit :(

Vice

I've been using Cap/Hawkeye/Doom. I just play as lamely as I possibly can and whittle my opponents life away, I'm thinking about tossing Hawkeye or Cap out for Dormamu.

Dahbomb

Viper/XXX/Spencer = I would shift Spencer to second and have someone like Doom/Magneto/Iron Man/Taskmaster/Dante/Amaterasu/Hawkeye at the back. You want that horizontal coverage for Spencer. Can't go wrong with Drones either but you do need a top assist to gel that team together.

Cap/Ryu/Vergil = Both Ryu and Cap lack an assist to help them get in. Cap's Shield Slash is a very good assist that would help out both Vergil and Ryu but he has no safe DHC option so he is almost always going to be played point. You really need to experiment with the team order and experiment with Tatsu/Shield Slash/Rapid Slash and even Rising Sun assist to figure out what suits you better. Also remember that Captain's Roll acts like a teleport so call assist + Roll for profit, works extremely well with Vergil in the corner or Ryu at mid screen. I would still say experiment with either Cap/Vergil/Task or Ryu/Vergil/Task.

Taskmaster/Zero/Wesker = This is KillerKai's team only with a different order. You want Zero/Wesker/Taskmaster in that order and occasionally swap Wesker and Zero if the match up allows. Task's arrows is the best assist on that team so you want that assist helping out both those characters as much as possible. Use Wesker low gun shot for unblockables or easy mode relaunches.

Today I am going to be collecting some gifs in preparation for Final Round. I am trying to find a gif of super saiyan kid... anyone have that on them?

Dropping Doom. I'm actually playing worse with him than I was with any other team.

My router. It's practically a FightingGAF legend.

lol I feel so free right now, guess that's what I get for procrastinating on getting Ultimate again for so long. I was going to get on an play since you got my friend all frustrated, but I guess later. Why did you have so much trouble with Ammy, it seemed like when you killed almost all other characters, she came in and almost won the entire match.

LordAlu

Ugh, I'm not sure the Vita version is much use to me. I was hoping to get some practice in away from home but man is it hard with such an unresponsive D-Pad and small buttons. It took me nearly 5 minutes in training mode just to perform Dorm's c.LMH S j.MMHS Purification L xx Chaotic Flame.

5 MINUTES. I can do that in my sleep on a stick. I just can't get the hang of it on the Vita for some reason.

cap/spencer/sentinel

team abcd-bbcs-otg-hyper aka team easy mode.

i know there are some good setups with cap and slant shot assist, but i just dont practice them enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom