• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Okay, so... now do you guys believe me about Rocky :lol?

Changes the game a lot with log, hitbox, and a lot of shenanigans. He didn't even do the dumbest stuff. VJ aside, Rocky was the big reason.

Hopefully people start playing and learning the characters they want to instead of feeling pigeonholed into a sword guy/trenchcoat. SO many good characters in this game. But you need to put in actual work instead of waiting for a YT breakdown or a top player to break em down for you.

Also, Chen just said "we didn't have time to study or break down RR." I don't buy that one bit -- they chose not to, and whose fault is that really?

Hope this is a heads up to the Marvel community in general.

Totally agreed on all of this. While the community slept on the cast because of hurr Weskah and the later on Morrigan, here's Raccoon ripping shit up because of a combination of lacking match up experience from us and Kusoru putting in the time with him.

That being said, I like my quirky characters and sword guys too... :p

Speaking of which, Stinger -> Bold Cancel -> Teleport. Hardest fucking thing to learn I swear. What do good execution GAF?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
We didn't have any reason seems to fit more than we had no time to study the matchup. Absolutely no one was playing Rocket Raccoon in the current scene so no one had any experience against him nor did they feel inclined to gain some.

AgeoJoe's play has taught me that I need to dial it down a bit on the styling with Joe. Maybe I'll XCOPY his RR since he did the same to me with Joe/Frank. :3

hitsugi

Speaking of which, Stinger -> Bold Cancel -> Teleport. Hardest fucking thing to learn I swear. What do good execution GAF?

Practice. That's all you can really do to get that down. Once you do, it may even feel like you're mashing, but it's coordinated. Just sit there and keep doing stinger->bold teleport until you have a feel for it, then try incorporating it into combos.

8YINw.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I hope this makes people start picking up a assist that helps them control space and characters that actually have synergy in a team. I can think of a couple of characters right off the bat that would have stopped the madness, but nobody plays them thanks to "execution" being an issue, or them not being top tier.

The sad thing is, he wasn't even using some of RR's derpier shit. He trolled his way to victory(like always).

Frantic

OK, day 2 of actual play and I have to be upfront, I am ASS at this game. I'm dropping easy mode LMHS combos, not getting moves when I know I'm doing the right thing pad wise approaching in stupid manners and overall getting frustrated beyond belief. This is also further compounded by the fact that my only local competition is my brother, who is exceptionally talented at trolling me exclusively IRL.

I'm in training mode right now, but just wanted to ask, what was it like for you guys playing your first versus game ever? Also, if anyone has any tips they'd like to share on starting from zero, I'm more than happy to hear it. Just for clarification's sake, I'm playing on the stock 360 pad.
When I first picked this game up, I was pretty much in the same boat as you. This was more or less my first fighting game, and I couldn't even pull off a DP at the start. For me, I just practiced motions, basic combos and the like. Once I got comfortable with the basics, I moved on to more advanced stuff. It's best to start off slow and work your way up on the execution side of things.

I tend to do Stinger, push L+S, and then just mush down and S repeatedly... no joke. I'm terrible with Bold Cancel Teleports, and only started doing them regularly for a month or two, lol.

smurfx

get some go again
i liked seeing kosoru win. its about time rush down got knocked on their asses in this game. -_- i know chris g has had success but not at a major.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I hope this makes people start picking up a assist that helps them control space and characters that actually have synergy in a team. I can think of a couple of characters right off the bat that would have stopped the madness, but nobody plays them thanks to "execution" being an issue, or them not being top tier.

The sad thing is, he wasn't even using some of RR's derpier shit. He trolled his way to victory(like always).

What? Does Hawkeye assist not control space? Does Vajra not pin people down? What are you talking about?

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, I had to leave during winner's finals and I missed Rocket winning a major >__<

I need a new avatar to commemorate this day.

The guy made me question my team though. Should I keep it Rocket/Frank/Ammy or should I go back to Frank/Rocket/Ammy? :S

Edit: Jeri, you should give me your GT one of these days. I need to get revenge from those Smash days and it could be nice practice for us both :p

Sloosha

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, I had to leave during winner's finals and I missed Rocket winning a major >__<

I need a new avatar to commemorate this day.

The guy made me question my team though. Should I keep it Rocket/Frank/Ammy or should I go back to Frank/Rocket/Ammy? :S

Edit: Jeri, you should give me your GT one of these days. I need to get revenge from those Smash days and it could be nice practice for us both :p

The first is the better configuration, I think. Really decent team actually - You can do those crazy Ammy slow combos after the machine gun hyper.

Hawkeye isn't a neutral assist though. Neutral is something to help you before you go into rushdown or zoning. Chris G's team is the only one I can think of that has a neutral assist and uses it correctly.

People aren't running neutral assists. The blow ups will continue. Until the FGC gets the right mindset about UMvC3.

Hawkeye isn't a neutral assist though. Neutral is something to help you before you go into rushdown or zoning. Chris G's team is the only one I can think of that has a neutral assist and uses it correctly.

People aren't running neutral assists. The blow ups will continue. Until the FGC gets the right mindset about UMvC3.

I'd say Hawkeye's a pretty solid neutral assist, maybe the best (pseudo) beam one. If you have an air dash, you essentially get a full screen frame trap out of it granted your opponent blocks it. It offers pretty solid horizontal ground screen control that way, clears a lot of stuff with it's durability, and doesn't scale combos much to boot.

It is not super effective against log trap/small characters in general though.

Oldschoolgamer

What? Does Hawkeye assist not control space? Does Vajra not pin people down? What are you talking about?

Did Rog have Vajra, Hawkeye assist, Hidden Missiles, etc? What is Hawkeye's horizontal assist going to do against someone that stays at the very top of the screen? Not a single thing. If you don't have a pocket Strider, Dante, or Doom you're going to get caught. There wasn't a single ninja dive kick in all of grand finals or top 10. Hardly any jam sessions or hidden missiles (well, I guess Chris and Champ, but we saw what happened).

That's not to take away from Joe, cause his fundamentals are gdlk (guilty gear players, I swear).

edit: Counter-picking assists also seems like a good route to take.

Azure J

Sorry ahead of time if my thoughts seem jumbled, I left this message up for a bit and I'm just adding what's on my mind on the fly.

I'm in the middle of messing around with random characters and now I have a bit of a hilarious thing to state. I have near zero experience with this manner of fighting game. Just now, I hit the majority of the Doom corner loop just based on what I knew and saw on streams regarding how to move Doom, what OTGs to use and of course how to abuse PHUT DIVE.

I like this character. :lol

Come to think of it, why am I hitting the basic magic chains with other characters, but I flub when I do it with Dante or Felicia? XD

When I first picked this game up, I was pretty much in the same boat as you. This was more or less my first fighting game, and I couldn't even pull off a DP at the start. For me, I just practiced motions, basic combos and the like. Once I got comfortable with the basics, I moved on to more advanced stuff. It's best to start off slow and work your way up on the execution side of things.

I tend to do Stinger, push L+S, and then just mush down and S repeatedly... no joke. I'm terrible with Bold Cancel Teleports, and only started doing them regularly for a month or two, lol.

Good to know, thanks as always. :)

I've been starting small with only the few things I can do at my execution level and hoping to implement more into my game because Hammer fishing (while absolutely fun for me as a person who loved spacing and fishing for a hit with Marth's neutral A in the air in Smash Bros.) isn't a particularly devious approach, especially against Zero.

I just hate that feeling when you know that there's an answer for what you're faced with but you either choke it up or execution barriers make it hard to follow up on.

As for the last bit, this character is just so damn fun to mess around with even at this level although getting that much down would allow me to be so much more devious. For all those playing with the stock 360 pad though, how do you hit your shoryu motions (reverse especially) consistently? In retrospect, starting with such high execution characters might not have been the best idea, but fuck anything else, I love these guys.

i liked seeing kosoru win. its about time rush down got knocked on their asses in this game. -_- i know chris g has had success but not at a major.

I honestly agree. I feel like the ranged game is more than valid and shouldn't be looked down upon, especially when one wrong use of a projectile or lacking use of one opens up an opportunity for a total team demolition. See PR Rog's Cat Spike L infinite against Kusoru.

Jeri, you should give me your GT one of these days. I need to get revenge from those Smash days and it could be nice practice for us both :p

As soon as I feel comfortable that we won't be playing in molasses in the artic, I'll be sure to give it to you. :)

Frantic

Umvc3 Ultimate Exhibition Vol. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qldHofVUQ40

Hope you all enjoy!
Nice stuff as always. I've always liked your videos - they're always very creative. Especially like the three sphere flames, lol.

Come to think of it, why am I hitting the basic magic chains with other characters, but I flub when I do it with Dante or Felicia? XD
Are you doing LMHS for both? If so, neither one have an actual LMHS chain. For Dante, it's s.LMS while Felicia's is s.LM cr.H s.S

As for the last bit, this character is just so damn fun to mess around with even at this level although getting that much down would allow me to be so much more devious. For all those playing with the stock 360 pad though, how do you hit your shoryu motions (reverse especially) consistently? In retrospect, starting with such high execution characters might not have been the best idea, but fuck anything else, I love these guys.
I just tap forward then slide it down to the bottom then immediately back to forward. The same can be done for RDP. You have to be somewhat fast, as you might end up with a QCF instead of a DP, though.

Oldschoolgamer

*copies*

I've been having issues doing that for the longest. I just now feel comfortable using his teleport freely.

How do you do the sky dance ground bounce reset?

Azure J

Gonna watch your combo video in a second Caj, your old ones have been great. Dat Soil & Pimp Session also enhances things. :)

Are you doing LMHS for both? If so, neither one have an actual LMHS chain. For Dante, it's s.LMS while Felicia's is s.LM cr.H s.S

I just tap forward then slide it down to the bottom then immediately back to forward. The same can be done for RDP. You have to be somewhat fast, as you might end up with a QCF instead of a DP, though.

I should have figured there were staggered chains with the two, although it seems like I'm picking up on little things naturally. I was omitting s.H when a lot of times I felt like characters were dropping out or getting knocked further back when I hit them with it before any followups. I've never been one who knew the technicalities of something working, I can just "see" when its off, so you might see a lot of notes like this from me.

I've got a lot of reading to do on my guys though.

On pad stuff, I can hit it if I go really slowly, but damn if I don't go full stupid when I'm in the match telegraphing shit because "goddamn it I'm going to hit this fucker with move X if it's the last damn thing I do -- fuck controllers without 8 way gates/grooves!" :lol

As you all can probably tell, I'm having fun in a way I haven't in a long time with this game. :p

Edit: Caj, holy shit the She Hulk reset tech, second Doom combo, all that JUSTICE, and the final combo... God damn.

Azure J

So I totally just got more consistent with the Stinger-BC-Teleport by inputting down, down, H, S during stinger. Shoutouts to SRK forums. :lol

I'm gonna call it a night now though, I'm tired as hell. Thanks for all the help guys.

Neiteio

Question about this game: Does it still include stages like Kattelox Island in their ORIGINAL formats, I.E. fireworks and shit instead of snow, or Demon Village in color instead of black and white? Can I play on either version of the stage?

shaowebb

Why do I get the feeling that that's closer to a sanatorium than a legit thread?

Mwahahaha...

I must hear some of this game bible of yours in all seriousness though. What the hell kind of mechanics are you using for that games system?

Plus shonen jump, dc, and sega are bound to make an appearance over there. I made bare bones roster templates for the lazy to fill in the blanks on and for the ambitious to use as coloring books. :)

Bizazedo

Was more hybrid, really, like Frantic's team. He was doing dive kicks and using log to hit him after he sailed past (mix-up) or after a trade since he'd recover before their wall bounce down.

That wasn't a keep-away team.

But it does give Frantic reason to smile.

Azure J

Was more hybrid, really, like Frantic's team. He was doing dive kicks and using log to hit him after he sailed past (mix-up) or after a trade since he'd recover before their wall bounce down.

That wasn't a keep-away team.

But it does give Frantic reason to smile.

It's this kind of playstyle that I enjoy watching and playing the most. Everything comes together in a nice way without a moment where you notice transitions between heavy offense and space control, it just happens.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Great Marvel tournament, or greatest Marvel tournament?

Too bad about Zeus, he folded under pressure and resorted to his Zero team but still got eliminated.
He was getting better results from Zero than Vergil from what I was seeing in casuals anyway.

OK, day 2 of actual play and I have to be upfront, I am ASS at this game. I'm dropping easy mode LMHS combos, not getting moves when I know I'm doing the right thing pad wise approaching in stupid manners and overall getting frustrated beyond belief. This is also further compounded by the fact that my only local competition is my brother, who is exceptionally talented at trolling me exclusively IRL.
Try out different input devices if you can't get the hang of the one you're using after several hours. The 360 pad is especially questionable. I've seen some people get by with it somehow, but I could never get motions out consistently with it and I'm not close to alone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Someone made a good point in the FRXV thread:

I wonder how the tournament would have gone if the only pro with RR matchup experience, MarlinPie, was there. Dude plays quotes all the time, and even if Quote's RR is probably not up to par, that doesn't mean he wouldn't know some of the fundamentals on countering Log Trap.

A lot of teams with exclusively aerial approaches got blown the fuck up by some nice timing and reads from Kusoru. I hope he still comes to EVO and isn't scared away by the hostility at FRXV.

Dahbomb

You guys can check out Shadowebb's survey and see that I had highly rated the Log trap even before the game came out. It's super OP. Just before Final Round I was investigating RR on anchor because he is a scary anchor too (we didn't get to see much of it but there is stuff there). I also stated before the game came out that Joe's Dodge move is an S tier tool. I hope some American starts pairing this shit up with Magneto, imagine the crazy ass tri-jump log set ups.

And thank god for SOLID Vergil play in top 4. People actually used Vergil's tools like the Storm Swords in anchor position. Also no Wesker in top 3, end of an era? Yipes was amazing, I thought he was going to take it with the way he was playing.

Zero is best character in the game but still beatable because it's Mahvel. Final Round was godlike. Kusuru is godlike. UMVC3 is godlike.

More impressions later, I only just recovered from my hype coma. And don't worry I was following the main thread but couldn't take my eye off the stream to type and as soon as it ended I had to go to sleep because I was EXHAUSTED. Another CLASSIC Marvel tournament in the making.

Professor's Beef's team (well 2/3) won Final Round. Amazing.

I am probably going to do a write up on the current neutral game of Marvel some time soon. Off to submit my tier list at SRK.

Grecco

You guys can check out Shadowebb's survey and see that I had highly rated the Log trap even before the game came out. It's super OP. Just before Final Round I was investigating RR on anchor because he is a scary anchor too (we didn't get to see much of it but there is stuff there). I also stated before the game came out that Joe's Dodge move is an S tier tool. I hope some American starts pairing this shit up with Magneto, imagine the crazy ass tri-jump log set ups.

And thank god for SOLID Vergil play in top 4. People actually used Vergil's tools like the Storm Swords in anchor position. Also no Wesker in top 3, end of an era? Yipes was amazing, I thought he was going to take it with the way he was playing.

Zero is best character in the game but still beatable because it's Mahvel. Final Round was godlike. Kusuru is godlike. UMVC3 is godlike.

More impressions later, I only just recovered from my hype coma. And don't worry I was following the main thread but couldn't take my eye off the stream to type and as soon as it ended I had to go to sleep because I was EXHAUSTED. Another CLASSIC Marvel tournament in the making.

Professor's Beef's team (well 2/3) won Final Round. Amazing.

I am probably going to do a write up on the current neutral game of Marvel some time soon. Off to submit my tier list at SRK.

PR Rog used his Spencer/wolverine/wesker team alot

Bizazedo

It was a pretty damn epic tournament.

Which leads me to a question I've asked before. Why is it in games like SF we have people learning multiple characters so they can take advantage of character match-ups, but we hardly have that in Marvel?

Grecco

It was a pretty damn epic tournament.

Which leads me to a question I've asked before. Why is it in games like SF we have people learning multiple characters so they can take advantage of character match-ups, but we hardly have that in Marvel?

Its 3 characters per team not one guy, the team set up can help somewhat vs tough matchups, and learning more teams is tough. Its better just to design strategies with your team case in point look at how Kusoru had Pheonix tech with both Rocket Racoon and Frank.

Bizazedo

I'm going to EVO. Midwest Championships, CEO, and UFGT are up in the air depending on whether I can get off of work or not.

We need to find a way to get Kinder out to EVO.

I am currently staring at the Caesar's price and the over $100 cheaper rooms just down the street at Treasure Island.

Think TI might win :(.

Tobe

im going to evo, isnt it cheaper to have like 5 guys on a room? everybody chips in for 20-30 a night rooms?

GatorBait

im going to evo, isnt it cheaper to have like 5 guys on a room? everybody chips in for 20-30 a night rooms?
Conventional thinking leads me to believe it is definitely cheaper to split a room between multiple people compared to the alternative.

Bizazedo

Its 3 characters per team not one guy, the team set up can help somewhat vs tough matchups, and learning more teams is tough. Its better just to design strategies with your team case in point look at how Kusoru had Pheonix tech with both Rocket Racoon and Frank.

Still, how well do you think Kusoru's team does against a lame team like ChrisG or even lamer like Hawkeye / Taskmaster / Arthur as an example?

Or a beam character / Storm to punish Rocket assist calls?

Yeah, that's what I did last year and probably will this year too. I'm going to NCR as well, but I live in San Francisco so I don't need to stay anywhere.

zlatko

Banned
I wish I could attend Evo this year, but I just can't afford it. My one major trip will be end of May to visit friends over memorial day weekend and that will empty my funds quick.

Next year will be the year though.

I added a couple Ss to my old Spencer combo and got it to 1,254,400 for two bars. Nice. Only works on heavies, but they're the only ones I'd need to use it on, so no biggie. Universal version already does about 1.2 million as it is.

Also, I Finally found a use for my Stalking Flare + Spencer combo. If I stock lvl3 Destruction as Dormammu on point against a zoning team, I can use the explosion to knock them out of their attacks, then cancel into Stalking Flare DHC Bionic Arm. It's better than raw Chaotic Flame DHC Bionic arm, etc. because it's significantly more damage and since there's no super flash, it's much harder to avoid with hypers.

So basically, lvl 3 Explosion xx Stalking Flare DHC Bionic arm, Upgrapple out of Stalking Flare x 2, Purification assist, S sjc Upgrapple, tiger knee OTG grapple, jS, Upgrapple

~1 million damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom