• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surging Chaos

Neo Member
Many of the characters languishing right now in Ultimate (i.e. Shuma, Chun, Tron) need a few fundamental changes and they'll become a lot more respected. The only exception is Hsien-Ko... I agree that she really does need to be reworked. She needs a lot to get out of the gutter.

Also agree with "taming" Zero in some way. The fact this guy does more damage than the big, bulky characters like Hulk/Sent/Nemmy is just sad.

Found out today I'm a fraud T_T Had at least 10 crucial drops/screwups at a local tournament with a prize today. Extremely frustrating tournament, as soon as I was out, this was all I could feel:

8vENk.gif

In salty fashion, I am taking a sabbatical with real life and SSX, I'll come back when I'm less salty and do fewer stupid things. I'll play here and there to keep sharp though.

smurfx

get some go again
Found out today I'm a fraud T_T Had at least 10 crucial drops/screwups at a local tournament with a prize today. Extremely frustrating tournament, as soon as I was out, this was all I could feel:

8vENk.gif

In salty fashion, I am taking a sabbatical with real life and SSX, I'll come back when I'm less salty and do fewer stupid things. I'll play here and there to keep sharp though.
alright time to catch up on ranked. :p so marlinpie won the no x-factor tournament and i love it! true skill gets you the win and shitty ass x-factor doesn't bail you out.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yipes is 25?

Young OG there.
He actually got into the MvC2 game late, if I'm not mistaken. There was a notable encounter at Evo once where he lost to Duc Do (original west coast MvC2 champion) because he wasn't familiar with Duc's old school lockdown team (Spiral on point) and what it could do. Even though that style of play had fallen out of favor, Yipes lost because he had never had to deal with it before.

Dahbomb

true skill gets you the win and shitty ass x-factor doesn't bail you out.
MarlinPie wins anyway with or without XF.

Usage of X factor is also a skill in itself. Poor usage of XF is usually a decider in matches as well. I honestly can't imagine playing MVC3 without XF anymore, so much of the balance revolves around it especially a character like Phoenix or even Wright.

Best Capcom can do now is add a non-X factor mode.

GatorBait

Most of the big names in fighting games right now are in their mid 20's or earlier. The only older players you'll see often now are Daigo and Alex Valle.

I always thought it would be interesting to get more information on the ages of the top players and how long they've been competitively playing. As far as older players go, if I'm not mistaken, Alex Valle is like 34-years old and Viscant is 32.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think Hawkeye zoning beats Morrigan zoning. My only evidence is that I made a Morrigan player rage quit only halfway through a match while I was working on a perfect.

vg260

DLC costume question on PS3/Vita

If you buy a single pack, does that make the bundle back disappear from the store? or is it the other way around? I recall some wonkiness about how this worked.

Can someone help w/ this question please?

Sixfortyfive

I think Hawkeye zoning beats Morrigan zoning. My only evidence is that I made a Morrigan player rage quit only halfway through a match while I was working on a perfect. It was the first game too.
Pelt her with arrows and she'll never get anything going. Doubly so if you're backed up by a good zoning assist / team hyper.

Astral Vision is generally superior to other forms of zoning when the matchup is against rushdown (can't easily rush down someone shooting at you from both sides), but it can be out-lamed.

Dirtbag

I think Hawkeye beats all zoners.
The key is to get a few vertical shots in the mix or pair him with Doom missiles.
Piercing bolt beats everyone out.

Gimlet with a good follow up DHC like Hail storm and you'll cripple anybody.

I don't think there is a more evil DHC pairing then Gimlet -> Hail storm in the whole game. It's absolutely diabolical and hits from everywhere with insane startup.

Sixfortyfive

Gimlet causes so much hitstun that it'll actually DHC into just about anything that has enough range.

It can DHC into either of Felicia's hypers from about 75% screen length or closer, and the only reason it doesn't work from any further is because neither of those hypers travel that far in the first place.

Azure J

I seriously need to learn how to call assists better. I'm getting kinda sad and mad at myself for falling for my brother's lame ass Hidden Missiles call + Vergil Round Trip and teleport getting me when I know I have the tools to blow that nonsense up. The blocking isn't the hard part, it's just trying to punish either his raw tossing of RT or the assist that's infuriating me right now. It's just I hate spending meter just to punish assists and most often once my point Dante goes, the rest of the team is left helpless unless I'm playing Felicia in which case I might get lucky with an ADK or two.

Worst part is his Doom is all phut dives all day and things that I expected to stuff that shit on start up get bopped by it fast. I didn't think Okami Shuffle would lose to Foot Dive M on start up...

Hurmun

Neo Member
I think Hawkeye beats all zoners.
The key is to get a few vertical shots in the mix or pair him with Doom missiles.
Piercing bolt beats everyone out.

Gimlet with a good follow up DHC like Hail storm and you'll cripple anybody.

I don't think there is a more evil DHC pairing then Gimlet -> Hail storm in the whole game. It's absolutely diabolical and hits from everywhere with insane startup.

You can pair anything with Doom missiles and it'd be God like hahaha. But really though, the gimlet -> Hail storm is really good and the damage is ridiculous man. I guess that could only be countered by....

Dr. Strange and his projectile counter super.

Sixfortyfive

I seriously need to learn how to call assists better.
I had no idea how poorly I was utilizing my assists until I played Neo and FChamp in a set. It's amazing how just a few games with really good players will clearly show you how much further you have to go even when it comes to the basics.

At any rate, if you're having trouble against Hidden Missiles, just make sure that you have something that can punish it full-screen, and use it. It's the entire reason I started playing Taskmaster on point in vanilla before Hidden Missiles fell out of favor as a top assist (although I wouldn't really recommend playing Task on point; he's not suited for that position imo). In general, I wouldn't worry about spending meter to do this though. X-Factor is something that should be conserved until you know for sure that you can get great mileage off of it; meter building on the other hand isn't that difficult for most solid teams.

The guide says that Gimlet has piercing, but it doesn't explain what that means. Does it go though other projectiles? Then why does it even have durability points?

Hurmun

Neo Member
I had no idea how poorly I was utilizing my assists until I played Neo and FChamp in a set. It's amazing how just a few games with really good players will clearly show you how much further you have to go even when it comes to the basics.

At any rate, if you're having trouble against Hidden Missiles, just make sure that you have something that can punish it full-screen, and use it. It's the entire reason I started playing Taskmaster on point in vanilla before Hidden Missiles fell out of favor as a top assist (although I wouldn't really recommend playing Task on point; he's not suited for that position imo). In general, I wouldn't worry about spending meter to do this though. X-Factor is something that should be conserved until you know for sure that you can get great mileage off of it; meter building on the other hand isn't that difficult for most solid teams.

I had the same sort of issue when I played against Fanatiq. I thought I was just ok at the most and he showed me that I was incredibly free. I dropped combos, missed openings, and was essentially just doing nothing productive.

He's a friend of mine so I wasn't nervous, I was just not good. Though after those games I played against another friend of mine and I just felt insanely better because I learned a lot from those matches with Fanatiq.

Dahbomb

Worst part is his Doom is all phut dives all day and things that I expected to stuff that shit on start up get bopped by it fast.
30_drdoomhitbox.jpg

You really wanna try to stuff that shit out? If you can't get above Doom forget about trying to throw out a normal.

Hey Panda, was it you who posted that page from the comic where Iron Man gets his ass chewed out by Nova because Nova was trying to save the universe? And even if it wasn't you, could someone post it? Shit was badass.

Dahbomb

Tony boned most of the Marvel chicks while Nova compensated for a She Hulk look a like.

Oh and playboy, philanthropist, billionaire, genius etc.

Azure J

I'm working on making my Strider less fraudulent and I'm telling you the shit I'm seeing the light on regarding the character now... All I would use him for were Bird incoming mixups, Gram L - Tiger - Wall Cling resets if I was feeling extra fancy, and XF3 Orbs + wave dash if I wanted to derp it up some. Now I'm seeing some nasty shit developing with Cold Star assist + Excalibur M, wave dashing with the Tiger for ghetto single hit super armor, and extended combos with Excalibur during an air series.

This fucking character is so much fun. Funnily enough, he still ranks 4th place out of the small but growing pool of folks I'm putting time into. Dante (the challenge is insane at times, but the rewards for sticking it out with him and learning him are sooo worth it), Ammy (so damn versatile and dat Shuffle saves lives) & Felicia (these is something immensely pleasing about hitting the rhythms to her combos and seeing the level of campiness she brings to the match from her entrance) are still my faves to play with.

Edit: Mahvel GAF is dead tonight? :(

I'm practicing the Bold Cancel - Volcano as you've told me to Frantic, but now I'm running into an issue (still in training mode for now). I know the move is probably working from the result, but I'm consistently cancelling into Dante's level 3 or Jam Session now. Fingers and nerves, why do you hate me so? :lol

kirblar

Did something happen with the board recently? I can't log in via Firefox anymore (tried clearing cache/cookies and it's not helping.) Not sure where to post/email for help.

The existence of TACs with Frank West in the second position have made me rage more than I ever have at this game. I can't believe (well, it's Marvel, so I can, but still) how screwed you can get by getting hit once and losing the guessing game.

I think Hawkeye zoning beats Morrigan zoning. My only evidence is that I made a Morrigan player rage quit only halfway through a match while I was working on a perfect.

Yeah but Morrigan players can protect their approach with Soul Fists to get in on Hawkeye players, and it's hard for Hawkeye players to win a good Morrigan. Unfortunetely good Morrigans are extremely rare which is why a lot of people don't appreciate how much skill it takes to play a good Morrigan.

WTF are you talking about? Spritzer beats all projectiles. Shit is stupid.

Why I use him. He just goes spritzer or electric arrow, fullscreen hitconfirm, into arrow loop with poison arrows which usually equals death when combined with hyper.

Razor210

Um, if Morrigan goes Astral Vision, it becomes really hard for Hawkeye to press buttons...

The existence of TACs with Frank West in the second position have made me rage more than I ever have at this game. I can't believe (well, it's Marvel, so I can, but still) how screwed you can get by getting hit once and losing the guessing game.
You don't even need the TAC. Throw Skrull or Nova on point, let them get a solid hit, then super, mash hard, and you have level 4 Frank.

Makes the whole "get hit once and die" mentality even more prevalent.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Actually using Nova with Frank is a guaranteed level 5. After your first camera shot if you call Nova's overhead/groundbounce assist he can get a second one in.

Found out when someone used Nova/Frank/Wesker team on me which is a team I totally used to play. This guys showed me how to really play it.

Frantic

I'm practicing the Bold Cancel - Volcano as you've told me to Frantic, but now I'm running into an issue (still in training mode for now). I know the move is probably working from the result, but I'm consistently cancelling into Dante's level 3 or Jam Session now. Fingers and nerves, why do you hate me so? :lol
Heh, the problem for me was always the motion. I'd always get Crystal instead of Volcano. At least you're doing a proper SRK motion, lol. I'd just try to do it slower. There's quite a bit of leeway in Bold Cancels, so you don't have to rush it too much.

WTF are you talking about? Spritzer beats all projectiles. Shit is stupid.
Not all of them. Arthur's Gold Lance tears through every non-Hyper projectile in the game. Also, weirdly enough, Spritzer can't go through Dante's Million Carats.

You don't even need the TAC. Throw Skrull or Nova on point, let them get a solid hit, then super, mash hard, and you have level 4 Frank.

Makes the whole "get hit once and die" mentality even more prevalent.
Also Dante. You can get level 5 meterless/TAC-less with Dante/Frank if you're good with the combos.

Yeah, didn't mention all of them. Million Carats, lance(but who really plays arthur kappa), Viper's eye beam IIRC, Zero's lightning it doesn't beat but beats the rest.

Just spritzer and penetrating arrow have a shit ton of low durability points. I mean a lot.

kirblar

There's a simple solution to this: Just kill their first character before they have a chance to get Frank in. Then they have a huge liability on their hands.

Azure J

Heh, the problem for me was always the motion. I'd always get Crystal instead of Volcano. At least you're doing a proper SRK motion, lol. I'd just try to do it slower. There's quite a bit of leeway in Bold Cancels, so you don't have to rush it too much.

Yeah, I'm seeing that more now. My current issue is getting Beehive because of the "oh shit gotta input it just in this frame window with my execution". :lol

This game is so rewarding in the strangest ways.

Solune

One of the main flaws of TAC is that not every character can fully utilize it like:
Staircase combos, Flight Combos, Zero ToDs, Doom Combos, Spencer Zipline, Akuma's Divekick.

In a way the mechanic can only be fully realized by characters that already have tools over the other characters. Strong getting stronger and weak getting weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom