• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorBait

My thing is most people don't pick up (or picked up) marvel bc they love the fighting mechanics... They picked it up bc they could play a team of their favorite chars they grew up with/ are familiar with... Dante and deadpool were early fan favs for a reason:ppl like those chars. No1 gives two fucks about a she-hulk, tron, x23, or modok... This game isn't about uniqueness per se, but more about picking up iron man and teaming up with spiderman to kick ass. All of my friends who I let play this game picked who they were familiar with and the ones who bought it, bought it for those reasons too...

And there are plenty of gaps. They are called fan requests. Mega man, gambit, venom (or any spidey villian), gene, power stone, rival school, ms marvel or any other boobs to name a few...

You have to realize that the fighting game players who help keep the series afloat and the development staff of the game want a good fighting game along with the healthy doses of fan service. Part of that is having a certain level of variety and uniqueness in the roster.

And She-Hulk and X-23 both have large fanbases who were fairly vocal during the lead up to MvC3. You also have to remember that Marvel is skewing their focus more so toward the current generation of comics and that has been reflected in some of their character choices.

So..... can you name me which comic people bought?

The reason Venom/Gambit were "popular" was due to exposure. And don't you dare knock She hulk. Gambit/Venom were put in the old VS games for promotion just as well.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
You have to realize that the fighting game players who help keep the series afloat and the development staff of the game want a good fighting game along with the healthy doses of fan service. Part of that is having a certain level of variety and uniqueness in the roster.

And She-Hulk and X-23 both have large fanbases who were fairly vocal during the lead up to MvC3. You also have to remember that Marvel is skewing their focus more so toward the current generation of comics and that has been reflected in some of their character choices.

What's funny is that ppl always reference "variety" when the terrible char choices of mvc3 are brought up. The thing is, all the chars I named would have had variety in their own right. Gambit, venom, ms marvel, gene these all would have brought uniqueness to the table. Chars like ryu (denjin mode) and Phoenix wright (his own mechanic within the fight) prove that they could have made any char unique in their own right. I'm all for uniqueness (although I would've loved ken in the game), but fan requests, the same fans that are buying the game, should have outnumbered staff picks. To me that is just good business. Why say screw megaman, piss of ALOT of ppl, and potentially lose sales to promote "uniqueness." I say give the people want they want... Happy fans =happy pockets.

Marvel is mostly to blame for their side of the cast, but capcom made some retarded decisions too...

Venom would bring nothing and neither would Gambit that is not already brought. You do realize on every poll done for readers of comics, She Hulk ALWAYS rates higher than Ms. Marvel. And really, they barely touched what she can do in comics.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
So..... can you name me which comic people bought?

The reason Venom/Gambit were "popular" was due to exposure. And don't you dare knock She hulk. Gambit/Venom were put in the old VS games for promotion just as well.

The majority of marvel fans and fighting game fans aren't necessarily comic book fans. Besides my dad, all my family and friends simply grew up on the cartoons, action figures, and games. Everyone knows who the Xmen are (movies have really helped extend the marvel brand), they know who ironman spiderman and the like are. Not from comic books, but from their youth or movies. Comics were obviously their origin, but they haven't become such a household name from them.

But even then gambit and venom were chars ppl knew. They weren't a left field char. Even to this day ppl want to see a gambit movie. Just YouTube it. No1 is clamoring for a she hulk movie. It's not that those chars don't have fans, but chars like cyclops, the fantastic four or even Loki (after the Thor and upcoming avengers movies) have a more far-reaching recognizable name. To me, that equals more interest than hearing super skull and saying "huh?" the more interest equals happier fans and possibly more sales..

*sips tea*

And thank you for proving my point. People knew of those characters due to PROMOTION.

And now people complain when other characters are given the same option. SMH.

And yes, there is a large group of people clamoring for a She Hulk movie and She Hulk appearance later in Avengers.

Super Skrull was a great way of taking care of the Fantastic Four IMO.

And X-23 haters can move to the left. <3 Laura (dat X-Men Evolution). I don't even like
X-Men characters really but she's the the second best there is in this game.

Marvel 3's cast >>>>>>>>>> Marvel 2 cast. It's a real representation of the most of the current Marvel climate aside from maybe Norman Osborn or Scotty. That's without taking clones or lame characters into consideration, either (IE Sabretooth).

Really, Capcom side is only missing Little Boy Blue and maybe Batsu. Hard to think of really big omissions on that side. Gene and Masamune are hype but I don't think they're nearly as bad as omission of the Bombah or even any Spider-Man villain.

That said, opinions are opinions.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
*sips tea*

And thank you for proving my point. People knew of those characters due to PROMOTION.

And now people complain when other characters are given the same option. SMH.

And yes, there is a large group of people clamoring for a She Hulk movie and She Hulk appearance later in Avengers.

Other char being given shine is coo', I just think the balance of fan fav and "new char" is a Little off in this game. People were excited for umvcx for a reason. Most of the char wish lists I have seen have been identical and most include the chars I mentioned.

*not tryin to pick on she hulk either lol just an example

Azure J

OK, so I'm beginning to notice something that I've really been auto piloting on a bit and would like to change, namely my approaches with characters and converting into real MAHVEL damage/combos. I don't know if it's that I respect my opponent too much or my mind isn't moving fast enough, but I'm looking back on my matches and realize that I play too defensively until I fish out a hit of Hammer, j.S or the like. I know the key to opening up folks with Dante usually involves an approach with j.H due to its Xbox hueg hit box, but I can't ever seem to go full magic series when I get that stray hit.

I also feel like at times, that's a bit of a side effect from fighting Zero backed with either Rapid Slash or Hidden Missiles. It's like I just instinctively corner myself and being in the corner is the worst for me vs. Hadangeki with buster charging. THere's a lot more to this for sure, but I just want to practice some approaches now. Any tips?

It does 40k more than mine :-(

ibjds6Aua9vNv.gif

shaowebb

I like the cast of this game a lot. Its lacking Mega Man, but really lets look at what we got represented in terms of comics and games here.

MARVEL
  • newest big teen character from marvel in X-23
  • The four biggest top draws from marvel's singles comics with Spidey, Hulk, Iron Man and Wolverine
  • Deadpool who is one of their hottest stars now and who draws major internet fan support
  • Iron Fist, and Dr Strange for the campy marvel fans
  • Nova and RR for fans of there cosmic setting
  • Magneto, Sent, Storm for fans of MVC2
  • Thor and Captain America for their movies
  • Skrull to cover the entire FF in one shot
  • Phoenix for 90's fanbase
  • Ghost Rider both for a new sequel and for the new comic series (though its a girl now and not Johnny Blaze)
  • MODOK to represent a villain for both their cartoon (he's on their super squad show and Avengers cartoons a lot)
  • Dormammu/Taskmaster for their comic book fans and to promote a different villain for comic book usage
  • shuma to please capcom?

CAPCOM
  • A shit load of Resident Evil promotion and fanbase draw with Wesker, Jill, Chris, and Nemesis
  • A shit load of Devil May Cry promotion and fanbase draw with Dante, Trish and Vergil
  • Representation of Okami which got a DS sequel
  • Viewtiful Joe to make certain if Okami didn't draw the Clover game fans he would (Needs GENE)
  • Spencer to further represent their new games since this has been mentioned as a title that Capcom wanted to take further later (who knows when)
  • Mega Man Legends crowd draw throught he inclusion of Tron Bonne
  • Mega Man X fanbase draw through Zero's inclusion
  • Representation on one of a newer profitable series with Frank from Dead Rising
  • Representation for a MAJOR fan favorite from Capcom with Phoenix Wright (this sold copies to some people I've met even though he's ass)
  • Further supporting MVC2 fanbase with Strider's inclusion
  • Nods to old school Ghosts and Goblins fans with Arthur and Firebrand to draw them in
  • A ton of Darkstalkers promotion for the upcoming whatever the hell with Felicia, Morrigan, Hsien Ko
  • Street Fighter 4 and other Street Fighter representation with Ryu, Chun Li, Akuma, C.Viper
  • Final Fight fanbase representation with Mayor Mike Haggar (this sold a lot of people I know on this)

A lot of Capcom's choices look like appeals to larger fanbases of old games or were included to represent and show off the company's current intended franchises. Their biggest franchises got the heaviest representation since those titles might sell off of this game. Guys like Joe, Haggar and Arthur got in to draw certain crowds but since they don't have titles to sell didn't get a lot of saturation throughout the roster in terms of characters from their games.

The roster does a pretty decent job of representing the two companies interests in my opinion. Sure their are a few here and there that could have been included from various games or comics, but overall the cast does things well. Mega Man is the only really huge character left out in terms of drawing power and fanbase from Capcom. They've really covered their fanbase pretty well IMO. Marvel too for that matter. Sure Godhand, Breath of Fire, Sengoku Basara, Monster Hunter or Powerstone could've gotten in but just as easily we got Final Fight, Ghosts and Goblins, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami which are all good. The only odd thing is that Ghosts and Goblins got 2 characters instead of one, but Firebrand is so unique and good that its obvious he was chosen over other picks because the creators just liked the character. He offered something different.

The only odd thing is with all the saturating the game has with the two companies interests they didn't try to go for ethnic diversity too much. Thats especially odd considering Marvel's recent escapades with Latin/Black Spiderman. Its one reason why I push so hard for black heroes to make it in. It further represents their interests and the fanbase for this game has a lot of black players. I'd like to see guys like Blade, Black Panther, or Samuel L Nick Fury make it in to try and represent this group as well.

TLDR version

Other than no mega and no black men the game is solid in roster IMO.

Alright let me make a list of characters that appeal to casual fans:

Spidey
Cap
Thor
Hulk
Sent
Magneto
Storm
Deadpool
Phoenix
IM
Doom
Dr. Strange
Ghost Rider

Comic fans
X-23
She Hulk
IF
MODOK
Dorm
Taskmaster
Nova
RR

Capcom requested
Shuma

Storyline reason
Skrull

13 characters that are known to most non comic readers with X-23 appearing in WaTXM and XM:E(towards the end of the run, when it became good aka when Yost started writing it.) She Hulk appeared on the new FF cartoon, the old FF cartoon, the old Hulk cartoon and will appear in the new Hulk cartoon.

MODOK appears in SHS and EMH regularly. Yes, most people ask for the same characters and don't even realize why they know of them.

PS- My main books are SM and XM.

shaowebb

Finally broke down and picked this up again for a bit today. I decided to poke around in player matches and a ton of folks were over there trying to grind out Rocket Raccoon tech for teams lol.

Didn't seem like many could actually play the character himself and were just spamming log trap to setup their already swag stuff, but one guy had Wolverine/Rocket Raccoon/Akuma and he was doing some cool stuff. BFF combos were still on deck but log+dive kick and Log + berzerker slash created some good stuff. Plus he jumped and went for Wolverine's drillclaw after a snap out and popped the log for a nice mixup sort of thing. What I liked the most though was his use of Tatsu plus dig for setups. One time I nearly got backed into some traps he had placed earlier by tatsu which would've been cool if it had worked. Nowhere near as cool as mad hopper>dig go behind> pushblock attempt but it would've been cool.

Looks like people are trying to focus more on making setups than first to hit instadeath combos now since they already have a ton. I like getting bodied in this manner. Means I see more than the same combo spammed forever. Course only 1 guy really had a well put together RR team and it was using BFF tech so what do I know.

Dahbomb

LOL roster discussion/debate.

UMVC3 has a great roster. If you can't find a team that you can make from the 50 characters found in the game then the fault is in yourself not the game. Yeah it could've used the big 4 (MM, Gene, Gambit, Venom) but hey that's what expansions are for.

As much as people clamor for Venom in the game, very few people actually played with Venom back in the MVC2 days. He was a really boring ass character.

Also WTF @ hating on Super Skrull... that was a great way of incorporating in the FF powers while also setting up promotion for the Avengers movie.

On the subject of Gene and most of the other characters, Gene wasn't a highly requested character before MVC3 came out. It's only when the Capcom side dwindled down after big names like the DMC characters, PW, Strider, Zero, Haggar, Joe, Amaterasu were taken care of that's when people were like "oh hey Gene would've been cool too especially with the other Clover characters". Godhand was a massive bomb sales wise, very few people actually know who Gene is. It's only after he was asked for a bunch of times did people start to realize hey he might be a good selection too. Plus the re-release of Godhand. I am one of the biggest Godhand fans there is and I totally understand why they haven't put him in yet... it's not even a major franchise or a big name character. He is requested because he has the Marvel flavor to him. And I believe Capcom has done a great job of putting characters who have the Marvel flavor to them, not get beaten down by fan demand.

MVC2's roster is only good if you still have your nostalgia glasses on. It has so many oddball unknown characters and it was only due to that game that some of those characters got any recognition. Hayato, Marrow, Amingo, Ruby Heart, Anakarsis, SonSon, BB Hood, Bone Claw Wolverine etc. Characters like Jin and Captain Commando were also fairly obscure and they became "classics" because they were introduced in MVC1. You compare character to character MVC2 vs MVC3 and I truly believe MVC3 trumps it. I am not talking just in terms of popularity but in terms of realization of a character in a fighting game. No character in MVC2 comes close to something like Amaterasu or Dante in MVC3.

Gene has been highly requested ever since the first post Vanilla launch polls and he has consistently hit top 5 in most(top 3 in the biggest to boot iirc) polls across the net. The demand has been pretty large since Ammy and Viewtiful Joe got a fair shot. That can fire up a fanbase quite easily since they feel like they have a shot at seeing who they want.
Love the new avatar.
I needed a change of pace and this one cheers me up a bit when I look at it.

thanks

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure post-Vanilla top 5-6 votes were Strider, MMX, Phoenix Wright, Frank West, Vergil and Date Masamune. 4 of those made it in which allowed Gene to make it into top 5.

Gene was barely considered or brought up before Vanilla MVC3 came up. He was brought up when Ammy and Joe were confirmed. I always thought he should've been in, even over those 2. He's way too Marvel not to be in this game. I dream about an eventual Gene vs Dante showdown. The GODS OF STYLISH SWAG.

vg260

Put. Freaking. Doctor Octopus. In.

Apparently they tried, but there were technical issues.

I want him or Goblin badly for a Spidey rep, but I'm certain the ship has long sailed on this game. Sven's latest posts on it sound kinda cynical like they know people will freak out if they expand it at all.

Sven's response to someone saying how hyped people were about the rumor:
"Unfortunately, there were also about the same number of people complaining.

To answer your question though, I do understand that there are folks who want more and I'd love to thank those guys for their passion and loyalty, but for right now, there's nothing in the works."

Anth0ny

LOL roster discussion/debate.

UMVC3 has a great roster. If you can't find a team that you can make from the 50 characters found in the game then the fault is in yourself not the game. Yeah it could've used the big 4 (MM, Gene, Gambit, Venom) but hey that's what expansions are for.

As much as people clamor for Venom in the game, very few people actually played with Venom back in the MVC2 days. He was a really boring ass character.

Also WTF @ hating on Super Skrull... that was a great way of incorporating in the FF powers while also setting up promotion for the Avengers movie.

On the subject of Gene and most of the other characters, Gene wasn't a highly requested character before MVC3 came out. It's only when the Capcom side dwindled down after big names like the DMC characters, PW, Strider, Zero, Haggar, Joe, Amaterasu were taken care of that's when people were like "oh hey Gene would've been cool too especially with the other Clover characters". Godhand was a massive bomb sales wise, very few people actually know who Gene is. It's only after he was asked for a bunch of times did people start to realize hey he might be a good selection too. Plus the re-release of Godhand. I am one of the biggest Godhand fans there is and I totally understand why they haven't put him in yet... it's not even a major franchise or a big name character. He is requested because he has the Marvel flavor to him. And I believe Capcom has done a great job of putting characters who have the Marvel flavor to them, not get beaten down by fan demand.

MVC2's roster is only good if you still have your nostalgia glasses on. It has so many oddball unknown characters and it was only due to that game that some of those characters got any recognition. Hayato, Marrow, Amingo, Ruby Heart, Anakarsis, SonSon, BB Hood, Bone Claw Wolverine etc. Characters like Jin and Captain Commando were also fairly obscure and they became "classics" because they were introduced in MVC1. You compare character to character MVC2 vs MVC3 and I truly believe MVC3 trumps it. I am not talking just in terms of popularity but in terms of realization of a character in a fighting game. No character in MVC2 comes close to something like Amaterasu or Dante in MVC3.

MVC3's roster is definitely better overall. It's just a shame that some of those fan favorites didn't get in there.

Maybe The Amazing Spiderman 2 will have Venom as a villain and he can get in UMVC3: Pringles Ed.

Azure J

On the roster discussion:

UMVC3 has tons going for itself in both diversity and viability. While there are those one off "where are they" omissions in Megaman (X :p) and a Spidey villain, there's no way you could be a fan of either company's offerings and say that the current rosters aren't well realized.

Now admittedly, I say this when I still see room on the Capcom side for some Rival Schools (Akira, Tiffany or Shoma), Power Stone (Rouge; in b4 God's Beard) and Breath of Fire (Ryu/Nina) love to compliment the oft requested Megaman X and Gene along with Ms. Marvel to go with the Spidey Villain between Doc Ock & Green Goblin, but things as they are now are pretty cool. (Exception: wimmins)

In other news, I'm rewatching Frantic's Strider reset video right now and I'd like to ask for some notations Frantic. I'm slow motioning it, but I feel like just asking is better for me. Right now. :lol

Dahbomb

Unfortunately, there were also about the same number of people complaining.
Yeah it's those people who would've complained even if they were adding new DLC to the game for $1. Some people just have it out for Capcom and FG expansions.

The GAF thread on UMVC3X was a fucking mess. So many idiotic posts there, I bailed out of there super fast. Capcom doesn't want extra heat on them after the whole SFxTekken thing.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
While I'm really happy with Capcom's roster in MvC3, because it has my some of my favorite characters ever, the MvC2 roster had me checking out a lot of old games. I never would have cared to find VS if not for Bulleta.

Yeah it's those people who would've complained even if they were adding new DLC to the game for $1. Some people just have it out for Capcom and FG expansions.

The GAF thread on UMVC3X was a fucking mess. So many idiotic posts there, I bailed out of there super fast. Capcom doesn't want extra heat on them after the whole SFxTekken thing.

As long as that heat brings about the sounds of coins dropping in their pouches, they couldn't care less.

Azure J

I was honestly more than a little surprised at collective GAF in that thread. Here we were posed with a hypothetical "booster pack" done in the same manner that the Super->AE transition was and people disliked the idea? Was it because of some salt over the need for a disc release for all the Ultimate stuff? Or just a general "we haet u Capcpom" thing?

I'm genuinely curious, and now a bit sad thinking that because of this outcry Mahvel might not see anymore expansion before a MVC4 whenever that is.

I was honestly more than a little surprised at collective GAF in that thread. Here we were posed with a hypothetical "booster pack" done in the same manner that the Super->AE transition was and people disliked the idea? Was it because of some salt over the need for a disc release for all the Ultimate stuff? Or just a general "we haet u Capcpom" thing?

I'm genuinely curious, and now a bit sad thinking that because of this outcry Mahvel might not see anymore expansion before a MVC4 whenever that is.
The rumor supposedly pegged the game at the same price as AE with DOUBLE the content. Some folks were absolutely pitiful there. You know it's fucked up when a known Capcom cynic like me is shaking their head...

:/

Anth0ny

Paid DLC of any kind is pure fucking evil.

Dahbomb

It was a general outcry thing.

Especially when most of the thread was cluttered with "I am glad I didn't get UMVC3" only they didn't even read the OP where it stated that it's a downloadable expansion so you would need UMVC3 already to get it or buy the UMVC3X retail disc separately (but there was no mention of that). The mod was even calling out people for this non sense.

In UMVC3 people complained about it being a disc only expansion but now that we got information on a very reasonably priced (almost too good to be true) DLC expansion people busted out the pitchfork again. This is very much a knee jerk reaction off of the general Capcom hate going around. The news was also posted just days after it was learned that the DLC characters are already on the disc of SFxTekken.

It's stuff like this that makes me pretty unhyped for E3. This generation started a trend of some really fucked up business practices. I can't see it getting better. Can't wait to pay $70 for unfinished games and having to pay up to $30-50 more for DLC that is already on the disc. Can't wait to play Devil May Cry 5 where the Vergil campaign is locked for DLC purchase.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
"The coaster of a game disc that I never play anymore anyway is going to be made obsolete! Oh no!"

I have some sympathy for people who play online regularly and don't like the possibility of the playerbase being any further fractured or diminished than it already is. But those people aren't where the majority of complaints come from and the rest don't make any damn sense. Unless they just wanted more content for no price at all, which is a pipe dream but at least consistent when it comes to outrage I guess.

I was more annoyed by the sea of people who said "BOY I'M SURE GLAD I DIDN'T BUY ULTIMATE OR VANILLA, EVERYBODY ELSE GOT HOSED. AND I WAS SOOOOOOO CLOSE TO DROPPING DOLLARS ON IT TOO."

Yes, I'm so sure that you were THAT CLOSE to buying Ultimate before a supposed new version got announced.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

The first page of people decided to not actually read the thread and just post the stupidest thing they possibly could.

I swear some of them were about as well thought out as Youtube comments.

Frantic

Man, wtf. Stinger + Vajra > Reverb Shock leads into a 1.1 million damage combo with my team. Now I can't complain about Biz killing me off every touch with Zero anymore. :p

In other news, I'm rewatching Frantic's Strider reset video right now and I'd like to ask for some notations Frantic. I'm slow motioning it, but I feel like just asking is better for me. Right now. :lol
What notations are you looking for exactly? The Formation B combo? That one is: s.MH, cr.H, f.H, Gram L, Formation B(shot), Wall Cling, LMH, Gram H(during the Wall Cling dive kick), dash up Gram L.

I'm not that good with notations. :<

Azure J

It was a general outcry thing.

Especially when most of the thread was cluttered with "I am glad I didn't get UMVC3" only they didn't even read the OP where it stated that it's a downloadable expansion so you would need UMVC3 already to get it or buy the UMVC3X retail disc separately (but there was no mention of that). The mod was even calling out people for this non sense.

In UMVC3 people complained about it being a disc only expansion but now that we got information on a very reasonably priced (almost too good to be true) DLC expansion people busted out the pitchfork again. This is very much a knee jerk reaction off of the general Capcom hate going around. The news was also posted just days after it was learned that the DLC characters are already on the disc of SFxTekken.

It's stuff like this that makes me pretty unhyped for E3. This generation started a trend of some really fucked up business practices. I can't see it getting better. Can't wait to pay $70 for unfinished games and having to pay up to $30-50 more for DLC that is already on the disc. Can't wait to play Devil May Cry 5 where the Vergil campaign is locked for DLC purchase.

Thee's far too much I would love to address just for the sake of getting my own two cents out there regarding the entire incident, but my mind is totally off right now between actually having fun with the Ultimate package and just a general sense of whatever. I've seen these tired arguments from the same people for far too long to justify saying anything that would go in one ear and out the other.

And yeah, this entire generation has seen DLC become something vilified which is quite sad since I was always of the opinion of there being more potential for good than there was for evil regarding DLC. That is until some folks started shitting it up and making these poor cases the norm instead of the exceptions.

Paid DLC of any kind is pure fucking evil.

I don't have a problem with paying as long as the content is new (re: not on disc) or there's enough of it that it warrants a fee. Of course Ultimate hasn't hit the mark on either (as much as costume packs are cool and the only way I'll get a MMX fix right now ;_;), but that's not an issue since costume packs are way low on the priority list of things I'd spend money on.

Now a hypothetical UMvC3: Ver. 2013 with the stuff that hoax was promising? (8 new characters, literally double what went into the AE update) that was a cheaper DLC add-on for disc owners? That's about as forward progressing as I can imagine for Capcom and a gesture that would have been well received by myself.

The rumor supposedly pegged the game at the same price as AE with DOUBLE the content. Some folks were absolutely pitiful there. You know it's fucked up when a known Capcom cynic like me is shaking their head...

:/

Tell me about it. I don't hesitate to see how Capcom dun fucked up in recent days, but a move like that (again, hypothetically) would be far from an example of it.

I was more annoyed by the sea of people who said "BOY I'M SURE GLAD I DIDN'T BUY ULTIMATE OR VANILLA, EVERYBODY ELSE GOT HOSED. AND I WAS SOOOOOOO CLOSE TO DROPPING DOLLARS ON IT TOO."

Yes, I'm so sure that you were THAT CLOSE to buying Ultimate before a supposed new version got announced.

Those kids of posts always amused me. They're like the passive aggressive text versions of those guys in Japan who buy a copy of something they hate to make elaborate videos of them breaking the product for youtube/niconico. :lol

Man, wtf. Stinger + Vajra > Reverb Shock leads into a 1.1 million damage combo with my team. Now I can't complain about Biz killing me off every touch with Zero anymore. :p

What notations are you looking for exactly? The Formation B combo? That one is: s.MH, cr.H, f.H, Gram L, Formation B(shot), Wall Cling, LMH, Gram H(during the Wall Cling dive kick), dash up Gram L.

I'm not that good with notations. :<

That'll do for now, I want to hit the lab and discover things for myself, but at the same time, I want to get in and be effective with my Strider. It's the most amazing rush when all three parts of this team work together perfectly, but at this time, I think my strongest character is Dante and weakest is Strider. I don't know how to train though and that's been showing itself a lot.

Also, I wish if I could have a 4th character to swap between before I lose a character. I miss my Felicia. :lol

Dante/Doom/Phoenix is the truth guys. [/scrubtheory]

There are so many fun characters and not enough time for me to put work in with them.

Edit: While I'm having a thought dump here, I really can't believe how much more damage I can get with a few Gun Loops and using Volcano-Beehive more in combos. I still have to learn how to convert into LMH Stinger-Volcano-j.H-Air Play though, I'm beginning to hate fishing with Hammer even if I get them frequently. I also hate that getting better at the timing for BC Volcano fucked up my understanding of how to do BC Teleport somehow. XD

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
*snips list for space*

A lot of Capcom's choices look like appeals to larger fanbases of old games or were included to represent and show off the company's current intended franchises. Their biggest franchises got the heaviest representation since those titles might sell off of this game. Guys like Joe, Haggar and Arthur got in to draw certain crowds but since they don't have titles to sell didn't get a lot of saturation throughout the roster in terms of characters from their games.

The roster does a pretty decent job of representing the two companies interests in my opinion. Sure their are a few here and there that could have been included from various games or comics, but overall the cast does things well. Mega Man is the only really huge character left out in terms of drawing power and fanbase from Capcom. They've really covered their fanbase pretty well IMO. Marvel too for that matter. Sure Godhand, Breath of Fire, Sengoku Basara, Monster Hunter or Powerstone could've gotten in but just as easily we got Final Fight, Ghosts and Goblins, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami which are all good. The only odd thing is that Ghosts and Goblins got 2 characters instead of one, but Firebrand is so unique and good that its obvious he was chosen over other picks because the creators just liked the character. He offered something different.

The only odd thing is with all the saturating the game has with the two companies interests they didn't try to go for ethnic diversity too much. Thats especially odd considering Marvel's recent escapades with Latin/Black Spiderman. Its one reason why I push so hard for black heroes to make it in. It further represents their interests and the fanbase for this game has a lot of black players. I'd like to see guys like Blade, Black Panther, or Samuel L Nick Fury make it in to try and represent this group as well.

TLDR version

Other than no mega and no black men the game is solid in roster IMO.

With the exception of Mega Man and a Spider Man villain I think the roster is one of the best there is. Though the ethnic diversity issue is a good point. (And weren't there indications that Doc Ock was being considered at some point?)

The way I look at developers putting in a few curveballs which happen to be internal favorites is throwing out surprises that may stick. For example, I've seen a number of people who didn't really know much about Ghosts N' Goblins, but fell in love with Firebrand instantly due to his play style and the fact that his design makes me a very cool looking monster. Now they consider him a staple of MvC.

I think any crossover game is something of a snapshot in time reflecting popularity of the era in which it was created. For instance, I'm sure that there are some OG Tekken fans who don't like that some newer Tekken characters squeezed out a few classics in SFxT, but some of the new characters like Raven represent those who are currently popular.

I would be interested to see Niitsuma's supposed list of 8 further characters he claims he originally wanted in the game. We might assume that Mega Man was one of them, and perhaps Gene, but I wonder about the rest.

There's also the issue of cast balance in a more feng shui sense. For instance I know a lot of people were unhappy about Nemesis being in Ultimate because there were already so many RE characters. but the moment I saw Nemesis, I realized two things:

1. He was a major villain and the Capcom side was light on villains.

2. He was a "large character", and essentially the Capcom counterpoint to Sentinel, which I'm willing to bet helped him edge out other potential Capcom villains of note. He brings balance to the roster with each side having their large tank/beast character.

So I can appreciate a character like that being chosen over say, a slot that could have gone to Mega Man.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Solar's new avatar is godlike.

I like mine, but I've been fiending for change for a while.

Word.

I've had Integra up for years now. Time to give her a break. My Valentine av isn't showing up right on here. :( I'll use this instead.

edit: Every single time I think I'm doing something fly with Magneto, I see another combo that looks even more stylish. ; _ ;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom