• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
what that a cheap shitty mechanic is in the game? or that seth killian said failed TAC would be punishable but lied?

TACs are pretty lopsided in the risk/reward department, there's no denying that. But bellyaching and denouncing it as "scrub shit" isn't exactly a good look.

Right now, TACs can be punished by a few specific characters. I think the damage from countering one should be increased somewhat, and the resulting blowback should be able to be taken advantage of by all characters, and NOT just by blowing X-Factor either.

Dahbomb

You are better off doing actual resets than going for TACs.

Iron Man has some swag post-TAC combos. Not that I use them because I rarely use TACs.

And using TACs to level up Frank is also super dumb when most characters can get him LVL4 and above just by doing a combo into whiff Frank West hyper. I can easily level up Frank with my my basic Vergil combo. Oh and if you lose the first character, Frank Wack gets fucked up the ass. And yes that was not a type... LVL1 Frank is Frank Wack.

Viewtiful Joe Bomb assist shenanigans

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF, I are tourney noob. Explain this to me:

Toryuken said:
VENUE FEE
$30 - Pre-Registered
$35 - At the door during the event

SPECTATOR FEE
$20 for the weekend

And each game is $10 to register. So does that mean if I want to compete in just Marvel, I pay $30? And if my buddy just wants to spectate its $20? Or do these individual fees stack?

Grecco

And each game is $10 to register. So does that mean if I want to compete in just Marvel, I pay $30? And if my buddy just wants to spectate its $20? Or do these individual fees stack?

40 for u 20 for him

zlatko

Banned
Playing SFxT for the last 6 days since I got it has made me realize I suck at fighters that aren't easy on execution like this game. Or at least the characters I was playing. ; ;

Venue fee you have to pay regardless, and when you enter a tournament, you pay for each game you enter in. So you have to pay 40$.
Your buddy will only have to pay 20 bucks, but he is not allowed playing at ALL. Not even friendlies. If he wanted to do that, he'd have to pay the 30 venue fee.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Your buddy will only have to pay 20 bucks, but he is not allowed playing at ALL. Not even friendlies. If he wanted to do that, he'd have to pay the 30 venue fee.
Not true. In every tournament I've ever been to, spectator fee allows you to participate in side tournaments, casuals, and pretty much anything that you don't pay for on the event website.

Anth0ny

$40 for you, $20 for him.

I'll be there =D

$40 for you, $20 for him.

I'll be there =D

Dressed like this, no doubt:

c1lHI.png

Solune

You are better off doing actual resets than going for TACs.

Iron Man has some swag post-TAC combos. Not that I use them because I rarely use TACs.

And using TACs to level up Frank is also super dumb when most characters can get him LVL4 and above just by doing a combo into whiff Frank West hyper. I can easily level up Frank with my my basic Vergil combo. Oh and if you lose the first character, Frank Wack gets fucked up the ass. And yes that was not a type... LVL1 Frank is Frank Wack.

Viewtiful Joe Bomb assist shenanigans

I don't know, TAC into Frank is gimmicky as seen by AgeoJoe but, you still build him to level 3 meterless usually as opposed to spending 2 bars for level 4/5. It really depends on your team comp though I would say. TAC imo is a good mechanic with poor implementation.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Haha, I was actually using this to practice yesterday. I didn't realize the vid was brand new or I would have posted it here.

Check out the Doom PhD in Asswhoopings video while you're at it.

Yea, that was pretty crazy. I wonder if he's going to make RR work or just use him as an assist.

Azure J

Holy shit, I just had a taste of what it's like when everything works with Dante and I need MORE. Opening up Zero with Teleport Hammer going to Volcano - Beehive - Backdash S - Up Guns - Stinger - BC'd Teleport (GETTING THE FUCKING TELEPORT, FUCK YESSSS) - Sky Dance - Fireworks - Super just started me off with this high of momentum that I pretty much OCV'd my brother with a near perfect.

This fucking video game.

Curse him. The damage is incredible but good luck pulling that off online (where I spend 99% of my playtime). I would like to get the charge shot loop timing down in training mode, I've done it a few times but usually by accident. That timing seems really sensitive.

Charge shot = Up Shots right? I've been ACHING to get that right, but no matter what I do, I get Prop Shredder. I'm wondering if there's some jump/dash cancel shenanigans going on, but I'll wait and hear more from some of the more experienced Mahvel heads and Dantes before I try incorporating it. One set of up shots into Stinger is more than good enough for me.

Frantic

Those shot loops are much easier than his old version of the shot loops(all ten hits, launch, all ten hits, launch, two hits, Stinger). I can actually do these(or at least three reps), heh.

I can now actually do 700k solo with Dante off a Hammer, build a bar, and not use up ground bounces or wall bounces... 1.2 million off a Hammer with Dante/Vergil is awesome. I can also do the same off a raw Vajra if I'm fast enough. My team is made out of ToDs. <3

AzureJericho said:
Charge shot = Up Shots right? I've been ACHING to get that right, but no matter what I do, I get Prop Shredder. I'm wondering if there's some jump/dash cancel shenanigans going on, but I'll wait and hear more from some of the more experienced Mahvel heads and Dantes before I try incorporating it. One set of up shots into Stinger is more than good enough for me.
You have to delay the first up shots. If you do them too fast, you won't give Dante enough time to recover from the upshots to do a normal launch.

JeTmAn81

Those shot loops are much easier than his old version of the shot loops(all ten hits, launch, all ten hits, launch, two hits, Stinger). I can actually do these(or at least three reps), heh.

I can now actually do 700k solo with Dante off a Hammer, build a bar, and not use up ground bounces or wall bounces... 1.2 million off a Hammer with Dante/Vergil is awesome. I can also do the same off a raw Vajra if I'm fast enough. My team is made out of ToDs. <3

You have to delay the first up shots. If you do them too fast, you won't give Dante enough time to recover from the upshots to do a normal launch.

Ah, I didn't know about this. There's almost always some tiny little nuance about the more advanced techniques in this game that makes them a lot more possible than it would seem, but isn't really that obvious to someone who just goes into training mode and tries to figure everything out on their own. There's a technical thread in the Dante subforum on SRK that could probably use this information.

Azure J

Just a bit of a question, is Vajira H extremely punishable why people don't use it when Strider's on point? Take this with a grain of salt especially coming from scrubby me, but it's been saving my ass a lot in 1v1 matches. If they don't block/I hit them out of a projectile startup, they get fucked over and have to eat some Strider nonsense. If they do block, I force a high low by hitting c.L for the confirm. I Just hope I'm not picking up a bad habit here. (Like Teleporting raw with Dante and hitting S more often than I hit H for optimal combos or Hammer for scare factor)

Also, as much as Ammy HHHHHHHH, my own understanding of footsies/whiff punishes and Vine Dash cancel mind games have been saving me, I really want to get better with her and incorporate more stances into my game. What do Ammy GAF? :p

Tobe

this whole post made me sad :( where is my dhc glitch dammit.

Dahbomb

:( where is my dhc glitch dammit.
They split it up into 2 characters.

Zero and Vergil.

Vajra's safety is dependent upon where the opponent is. I am pretty sure if they chicken block it they might be able to punish it just like other dive kicks.

Frantic

Vajra H is good for whacking people out of certain moves, namely slow startup projectiles and jumping projectiles. It's best to use in anticipation rather than something to just throw out though, since it is punishable. Fast normals can hit him, ground throw will work everytime, chicken blocking gives full punishes for everyone...

It's hard to punish in XF3, and with Orbs outs you're completely safe.

1. Put Vergil second.
2. DHC from anyone to Spiral Swords.
3. ????
4. Profit!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Forgot about the DHC glitch. Vanilla was so fun, so many ways to kill a point character off a touch.

It's why my ideal Vanilla team would have been Magneto/Wolverine/Akuma. Though I never played it because I could never get Magneto down.

Azure J

They split it up into 2 characters.

Zero and Vergil.

:lol

Vajra's safety is dependent upon where the opponent is. I am pretty sure if they chicken block it they might be able to punish it just like other dive kicks.

I imagine a good round of upback keeps wanton and frequent use of the move in check, but I'm finding myself getting some serious mileage out of it when I scout a Vergil teleport or even Hadangeki M & H and other weird things.

Vajra H is good for whacking people out of certain moves, namely slow startup projectiles and jumping projectiles. It's best to use in anticipation rather than something to just throw out though, since it is punishable. Fast normals can hit him, ground throw will work everytime, chicken blocking gives full punishes for everyone...

It's hard to punish in XF3, and with Orbs outs you're completely safe.

I figured it was something like this. I just don't want to train my only competition into getting too comfy with blocking it. And again, XF3 Orbs Strider has most people up against it playing Which Way Do I Block Mode. :p

1. Put Vergil second.
2. DHC from anyone to Spiral Swords.
3. ????
4. Profit!

I still can't believe the shenanigans Vergil with Spiral Swords is capable of sometimes.

Only thing I miss from vanilla is Dante's s.L. RIP, best normal ever.

Sorry man, you're my Dante bro and all but the best normal ever in the world of fighting games is:

izqyy.gif

Random note: Phoenix is pretty cool gaiz. Dante/Doom/Phoenix or Doom/Dante/Phoenix? Y/N and which is the better order? (Just food for thought mode, nothing else for now)

Frantic

Sorry man, you're my Dante bro and all but the best normal ever in the world of fighting games is:
Well, I meant 'best' more in the fact that Dante's s.L was some serious bullshit. That thing hit everywhere and you could combo off it anywhere. So good.

Random note: Phoenix is pretty cool gaiz. Dante/Doom/Phoenix or Doom/Dante/Phoenix? Y/N and which is the better order? (Just food for thought mode, nothing else for now)
Dante/Doom/Phoenix, just because it's not that hard to build a lot of meter with Dante + Missiles, and Doom builds a lot of meter solo anyways.

Azure J

Well, I meant 'best' more in the fact that Dante's s.L was some serious bullshit. That thing hit everywhere and you could combo off it anywhere. So good.

Dante/Doom/Phoenix, just because it's not that hard to build a lot of meter with Dante + Missiles, and Doom builds a lot of meter solo anyways.

I remember old Vanilla threads when Karst would go off on how much bullshit s.L was, good times. :lol

That team I'll mess around with when I get better with my main team. Meanwhile, four reps of the gun loop in less that ten minutes of practice? Godlike.

Razor210

Vajra's safety depends on the opponent's ability to press S at the right time. Ask Cloudius - if you don't cover the assist call, Strider's pretty much done.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
So I played a long session of mvc2 online today and it made me realize how much better mvc3 should have been. The terrible char selection and game breaking mechanics (I'm lookin at you xf and tac)... This game honestly is extremely underwhelming. It could have should have been much better. It kinda pisses me off that I will might never see Jin, cap com, Hayato, saber tooth, gambit, venom, Sakura and alot of other dope chars in a marvel game again :'-(. Minus the 5 broken chars mvc2 was a classic... This game... Not so much... It's good, just should have been amazing...

Solune

So I played a long session of mvc2 online today and it made me realize how much better mvc3 should have been. The terrible char selection and game breaking mechanics (I'm lookin at you xf and tac)... This game honestly is extremely underwhelming. It could have should have been much better. It kinda pisses me off that I will might never see Jin, cap com, Hayato, saber tooth, gambit, venom, Sakura and alot of other dope chars in a marvel game again :'-(. Minus the 5 broken chars mvc2 was a classic... This game... Not so much... It's good, just should have been amazing...

There are some questionable char selections in this game like Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright(I like this Nick but they totally gimped his implementation in this game), too many Street Fighters. But the character selection is still great, and they are actually viable in this game. about a quarter of the cast in MvC2 is legit, assist or otherwise before you go into "low tier".

I think at least half of the cast or more has an infinite in MvC2, but you'll never see them executed because it's nearly impossible to be even land that first hit. MvC2 in it's own right is an amazing game and the hype surrounding it for years is a testament to that, but as a game itself including balance and game mechanics it's truly broken and that hurts it overall imo. MvC2 is also guilty of throwing in a bunch of existing sprites and palettes and calling it a day, while MvC3 has it's own unique dark comic bookstyle art and it's awesome, alot of effort went into the game despite having 2 releases in 9 Months, but that issue has been beat to death. You can TELL just by how much went into recreating Dante and yet he's still missing about half of his moveset.

The only fighting game I put on a pedestal that can't be touched is CvS2.

GatorBait

Real talk: half of those characters suck. Maybe not as "characters", per se. But how they were represented as fighting game characters in MvC2 leaves a lot to be desired. Re-imagined versions of some of those characters could have some promise, but what would characters like Sabertooth, Sakura, and Hayato have to offer that is missing from the current cast (other than being characters you are particularly fond of)?

The roster of UMvC3 is pretty god damn solid. I can count on one hand the number of glaring omissions.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
You act as if those characters were even seen in Marvel 2 during the game's heyday.

Nah not for pros. I wasnt into the competitive scene back then anyway... I just loved playin with those chars with my people at home and even online when it went to ps3. I rarely ran into lame magneto psyloke teams online. It just had chars ppl wanted and not chars ppl had to try to like... And the damage wasn't so insane... No tod combos, minus infinites and those were hard enough for casual players...

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
Real talk: half of those characters suck. Maybe not as "characters", per se. But how they were represented as fighting game characters in MvC2 leaves a lot to be desired. Re-imagined versions of some of those characters could have some promise, but what would characters like Sabertooth, Sakura, and Hayato have to offer that is missing from the current cast (other than being characters you are particularly fond of)?

The roster of UMvC3 is pretty god damn solid. I can count on one hand the number of glaring omissions.

My thing is most people don't pick up (or picked up) marvel bc they love the fighting mechanics... They picked it up bc they could play a team of their favorite chars they grew up with/ are familiar with... Dante and deadpool were early fan favs for a reason:ppl like those chars. No1 gives two fucks about a she-hulk, tron, x23, or modok... This game isn't about uniqueness per se, but more about picking up iron man and teaming up with spiderman to kick ass. All of my friends who I let play this game picked who they were familiar with and the ones who bought it, bought it for those reasons too...

And there are plenty of gaps. They are called fan requests. Mega man, gambit, venom (or any spidey villian), gene, power stone, rival school, ms marvel or any other boobs to name a few...

Tobe

Nah not for pros. I wasnt into the competitive scene back then anyway... I just loved playin with those chars with my people at home and even online when it went to ps3. I rarely ran into lame magneto psyloke teams online. It just had chars ppl wanted and not chars ppl had to try to like... And the damage wasn't so insane... No tod combos, minus infinites and those were hard enough for casual players...

LAME?! DUDE WHAT? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3qUvLyDXg&feature=related MSP is THE SHIT.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
There are some questionable char selections in this game like Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright(I like this Nick but they totally gimped his implementation in this game), too many Street Fighters. But the character selection is still great, and they are actually viable in this game. about a quarter of the cast in MvC2 is legit, assist or otherwise before you go into "low tier".

I think at least half of the cast or more has an infinite in MvC2, but you'll never see them executed because it's nearly impossible to be even land that first hit. MvC2 in it's own right is an amazing game and the hype surrounding it for years is a testament to that, but as a game itself including balance and game mechanics it's truly broken and that hurts it overall imo. MvC2 is also guilty of throwing in a bunch of existing sprites and palettes and calling it a day, while MvC3 has it's own unique dark comic bookstyle art and it's awesome, alot of effort went into the game despite having 2 releases in 9 Months, but that issue has been beat to death. You can TELL just by how much went into recreating Dante and yet he's still missing about half of his moveset.

The only fighting game I put on a pedestal that can't be touched is CvS2.

The game is well created visually and even some of the fighting mechanics i agree. That is actually what is disappointing... People could have had there beloved chars recreated and move set redone with a more balanced and updated experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom