• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What options worthless? He can still negate Dark Matter with his normals and punish a teleport or whatever laggy special Dorm tries to cancel into. Or he can turn on Spiral Swords if he sees the Dark Matter animation as that would easily negate it out and deal with whatever Dorm cancels into. The game changes dramatically when Dorm has stocked spells but that's assuming Vergil let him have the space/time to stock it up which isn't easy. In the air Vergil can limit Dorm's options with Round Trip or just simply match his normals with his.

Also Vergil out ranges Hawkeye's normals (both in the air and on ground) but Hawkeye can play footsies at close range and beat out Vergil's crouching normals with his st.M. But Vergil doesn't have to play footsies with Hawkeye or even deal with his Slide... that's what Helm Breakers into assist plus teleports is for.

Can he cancel a normal if he uses it to negate a projectile or does it count as a whiff?

Azure J

I continue to be stunned at some of the things I experience while choking on my own salt. How come I didn't know you can't get a hyper punish off a TAC counter? ;_;

Nerves fail me too often for me to be proficient with Ammy counters or OTGs after a counter. I'm still working on it and getting closer to the end goal, but man, it'd be nice if I could count on myself when my bro wants to throw out full screen Vergil stingers after hiding/upbacking behind Hidden Missiles. I hate falling for gimmicky shit but hate it even more when I can't improvise enough to clutch something out.

In case anyone was wondering, I'm hyper competitive. It's not because I always have to win, but because I just love picking up and applying new things on the fly. At the same time, my brother is the complete polar opposite. The win is all that matters and everything else can go to hell. He also has a tendency to suck the fun out of the air regardless of him winning or losing. Hence my salt blogging. :lol

In other news, I'm messing around with Dormammu in place of Strider now. The character is fun but I don't think I'm getting anywhere special with him on this team. (Ryan Hunter Vanilla) Of course I'm just attempting to hit some combos in Training Room and not much else. I still don't know what I should be doing to self train...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF, I need some therapy after finishing ME3. Anyone want to scrub it out with me? Since I haven't played in forever, I'll just be testing out stuff.

I'm on 360.

EDIT: Just got 3 MB update. People probably had this for a while, but what was in the last update?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
GAF, I need some therapy after finishing ME3. Anyone want to scrub it out with me? Since I haven't played in forever, I'll just be testing out stuff.

I'm on 360.

EDIT: Just got 3 MB update. People probably had this for a while, but what was in the last update?
I'd be willing to screw around in a lobby for a minute to see if my online experience is still as abysmal as it usually is. Haven't played online since H&H was relatively new.

I don't even remember what the last update was for.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd be willing to screw around in a lobby for a minute to see if my online experience is still as abysmal as it usually is. Haven't played online since H&H was relatively new.

I don't even remember what the last update was for.
Damn, sorry I missed your message Sixfortyfive. Did a set with Solar and I'm off to get some work done now. Add me and we can get some games in if I get some free time again, GT: arvinater.

Lol @ my on-the-spot alt teams being more effective than my main team. Stay free Team The Iron and The Fist. Magic Series combos for life. GGs Solar, had lots of fun fighting 2/3 of the characters I hate most (Doom isn't one of them).

I bought Jill last night, kind of liking how she plays. Thinking about playing Team S.T.A.R.S now.

Gotta get dem costumes. And go figure Wesker and Chris are in different packs :(

Dahbomb

Ummm.... if Vergil teleports straight down Hawkeye's j. H beats him of his f.M and the slide gets him away from Vergil's mixups. And Dark Matter air teleport in chaotic flame since we are talking beginning of match and matchup just went into Dorm's favor.
First sentence didn't make any sense, Vergil has no move attached to his f.M. Unless you mean Trick H into j.M in which case, that's an air to air and Vergil is going to be coming with Helm Breaker after Trick H 90% of the time. I don't know if Hawkeye's j.H beats Helm Breaker, if it does that's a damn good button beating out an actual sword normal.

Dark Matter into Air Teleport into Chaotic Flame? That doesn't make any sense either and I wasn't even talking about beginning of match. If Vergil EVER wanted to get an advantage at beginning of match he would just turn on Spiral Swords into Trick and no one can press anything until they are off. Beginning of match you can't do anything about that. Not that a Vergil player is going to do that but since you brought up Chaotic Flame (don't know why) I brought up Spiral Swords.

mr. puppy

Banned
anybody here play Spider Man or know what kinda team I want to build around him? I've never touched him before, but he's so much freaking fun

anybody here play Spider Man or know what kinda team I want to build around him? I've never touched him before, but he's so much freaking fun

I think he gets the most mileage out of a projectile assist and an extender. His best friend IMO is Hawkeye, but there's a case to be made for Plasma Beam Doom, EMD Magneto or even Frank Cart. All three of them have solid DHC's with him and give him the room to cause a lot of havoc.

Extender is really up to you, hopefully they have synergy with your projectile partner.

I don't like playing him anywhere else than point, his XF isn't really scary, his combos get tighter, and he's not nearly as unpredictable when he's by himself. Lose a decent amount of damage/GOOD reset potential too.

You brought up spiral swords. YOU. You are overhyping Vergil dude is all I am saying. And Dark matter cancellation works with the fact I throw out a dark matter and see what you will do. At the beginning of the match between Dorm and Vergil Dorm has the advantage due to cancellation and chaotic flame. Spiral swords doesn't stop chaotic flames.

And I was referring to Hawkeye with the f.M

But if in the middle of the fight, yes Vergil should have the advantage if Vergil has meter on an incoming Dorm. But at the beginning Dorm has the advantage.

Dahbomb

It actually depends upon the distance and who did their hyper first. At full range, Chaotic Flame will eat up Spiral Swords because the durability on the beam hyper over powers the swords. At close distance Vergil just has to dash up before Chaotic Flames achieves the minimum amount of hits to override Spiral Swords. Vergil can't on reaction do Spiral Swords against Chaotic Flame but Dorm can't do it on reaction to Spiral Swords either because of the threat of teleport.

I am not over hyping Vergil, I rate Dorm over Vergil and always have. But the match up is way closer than you might imagine. Vergil doesn't respect numerous options of Dorm that most characters have extreme difficulty dealing with.

Azure J

So Mahvel GAF, any of you ever go though frequent character/team crises? I feel like I have ADHD when it comes to what I want to do in this game sometimes.

Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajira)
Dante (Jam Session)/Spencer (Slant Shot)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)
Dante (Jam Session)/Magneto (Estaka) or Dr. Doom (Hidden Missiles)/Phoenix (TK Shot)

I have these three teams in mind and I'm still heavily experimenting to see what I can do and to what effectiveness using other characters (Morrigan especially). I just wish if I could level up even two more characters at the rate I'm doing with Dante.

Dahbomb

Probably.

Anyone know the player list for NorCal regional? It's the closest major for UMVC3 that is up and coming.

I want to see Magus on commentary for Marvel.

Yeah, it is close. No doubt about that. But Dorm doesn't have as many stupid matchups as Zero does outside of heavy rushers. Dorm just has only one really bad matchup that can't be solved and that is viper.

Why is that? That definitely sucks if true because he is the reigning Marvel champion of NorCal.

Because mk's prize pool at mlg is larger than the entire pot for all the games at NCR and then some, also EG probably wants him to be at mlg since the exposure is much higher there.

Lol @ my on-the-spot alt teams being more effective than my main team. Stay free Team The Iron and The Fist. Magic Series combos for life. GGs Solar, had lots of fun fighting 2/3 of the characters I hate most (Doom isn't one of them).
My Morrigan was super shitty. I haven't played the game as much as I should have and it shows. Ammy's beads are fun to use though. Also, my Doom is the very definition of fraudulent.

gg
Looks ugly

Grecco

A shame the fake evil Ms Marvel had a much much much better costume

718980-dark_avengers_002_pg_01__young_guns_variant__super.jpg

Need a crash course on some Magneto and/or Dante combos. Anyone got some basic ones? I'm more interested in playing with their movement but it'd be nice to be able to finish some with em. I feel like I shouldn't just jump right into Nini Heart's stuff without figuring out some of the fundamentals of it (or maybe I should?).

Need a crash course on some Magneto and/or Dante combos. Anyone got some basic ones? I'm more interested in playing with their movement but it'd be nice to be able to finish some with em. I feel like I shouldn't just jump right into Nini Heart's stuff without figuring out some of the fundamentals of it (or maybe I should?).

Magneto easy BnB: 2LMHS, (very low)jH adf jH xx flight, jLH adf jH adf jH adf jH adf jH add jHS(S cancels flight, doesn't hit), H xx Hyper Grav L, 2HS, jMMHS, Gravity Squeeze
midscreen: 2LMHS, (very low)jH adf jH xx flight, jLH adf jH adf jH adf jH adf jH add jHS(S cancels flight, doesn't hit), S, jMMHS, Gravity Squeeze

Should do about 900k?

Chavelo

Wooooo. Went 4 - 2 at the local Colorado tournament. Sucks that Zlatko couldn't go, we had a good amount of people there, dude! I feel great on my progress so far. Will hit the lab on a few. :p

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Some people are weird and send me a pissy message only to friend request me right after. I don't mind the salt, in fact I really enjoy it. Also I don't blame them so much for getting mad in the first place, I've been alternating between my Hulk/Sent/Wesker and Hawkeye/Wesker/Strider teams recently. I wouldn't want to be playing against either of those teams
especially played by me

Frantic

AzureJericho said:
So Mahvel GAF, any of you ever go though frequent character/team crises? I feel like I have ADHD when it comes to what I want to do in this game sometimes.
Heh, don't worry about it. Took me like four months to settle on a team once Ultimate dropped, and it took like five months in vanilla. In a game with this many characters, it's pretty easy to have a team crisis. Eventually you'll find a team that just clicks with you.

Beyond the typical launch/Killer Bee stuff, the best/easiest combo(if you can Bold Cancel) would probably be: s.LMH, Stinger, BC.Volcano, j.H, Air Play, Killer Bee, s.S, Clay Pigeon, Prop Shredder, Hammer, Volcano > Beehive, Million Dollars. It's what I do when I don't want to drop a combo. Does decent damage and builds nearly a full bar. If you're close to the corner, or confident in your bold cancel teleport abilities, you can add in Cold Shower > Stinger > Hammer after the Prop Shredder > Hammer bit.

Azure J

I still find it hilarious that I got to the point where I can do the Nini Heart legit confirms (albeit in halves most times, damn BC Teleport brain farts/desire to style with gun loop reps) but approaching/converting with anything that isn't Hammer is like quantum physics to me. :lol

It's like I have the approaches:

Aggro: Stinger - BC Reverb Shock - Fireworks - Million Dollars
Patient: Air Play - Air Dash - j.M/H *or* Tiger Knee'd Air Play - Ground Dash - Reverb Shock - Fireworks
Derp Mode: Teleport - Hammer
Slightly Better Derp mode: Assist (Cold Shots) - Teleport - Hammer
Burning Meter: Hysterics/Drive/j.S - Devil Trigger - Assist (Cold Shots/Vajira) Teleport - Hammer

But something always gets the better of me. Usually, it's getting the assist calls right on my execution's end, zoning of any kind backed by Hidden Missiles or excessive up backing from the opponent. At least I'm hitting air throws and their followups more consistently.

Heh, don't worry about it. Took me like four months to settle on a team once Ultimate dropped, and it took like five months in vanilla. In a game with this many characters, it's pretty easy to have a team crisis. Eventually you'll find a team that just clicks with you.

Gotcha.

In other news, how the fuck can anyone play Zero optimally on pad? Holy shit.

Magneto easy BnB: 2LMHS, (very low)jH adf jH xx flight, jLH adf jH adf jH adf jH adf jH add jHS(S cancels flight, doesn't hit), H xx Hyper Grav L, 2HS, jMMHS, Gravity Squeeze
midscreen: 2LMHS, (very low)jH adf jH xx flight, jLH adf jH adf jH adf jH adf jH add jHS(S cancels flight, doesn't hit), S, jMMHS, Gravity Squeeze

Should do about 900k?

Thanks, this looks like pretty solid stuff and shouldn't be too bad to get down.

Beyond the typical launch/Killer Bee stuff, the best/easiest combo(if you can Bold Cancel) would probably be: s.LMH, Stinger, BC.Volcano, j.H, Air Play, Killer Bee, s.S, Clay Pigeon, Prop Shredder, Hammer, Volcano > Beehive, Million Dollars. It's what I do when I don't want to drop a combo. Does decent damage and builds nearly a full bar. If you're close to the corner, or confident in your bold cancel teleport abilities, you can add in Cold Shower > Stinger > Hammer after the Prop Shredder > Hammer bit.

Ditto for this. Muscle memory ftw.

Thanks, guys! Should have this down pat in the near future. Gotta hit dat danger room.

In other news, I played someone named StriderDoom today and if it wasn't Clockwork, somebody is doing a pretty damn good imitation of him. First time I actually was scared of/ respecting a fight against a Doom, the welcome mixup was ridiculous. And dat Strider o_O...

Got a hold of myself to stop dropping everything and start doing okay, especially when Spider-Man could run loose, but yeesh, some of the ways he won were crazy, crazy stuff. Wasn't really scared of his Ammy on point since I have a lot of experience against her, though. If I manage to snap and kill Strider, it becomes a lot more manageable too.

Snapping Strider every single time from now on, Hiryu is a slippery mfer that I'm way too free to T_T Hopefully I'll drop less stuff next time. Also, really glad he didn't switch teams partway through as I learned to fight the team better, wish more people would do that.

Smurf -- is StriderDoom Clock? Saw you on dude's FL.

Sixfortyfive

My complete team history:

Vanilla Day 1 - Morrigan/Felicia/Hsien-ko
Vanilla Week 3 - Taskmaster/Felicia/Morrigan
Ultimate Day 1 - Felicia/Taskmaster/Hawkeye
Ultimate Week 2 - Felicia/Hawkeye/Taskmaster

For a while my team presets in Ultimate were just the same 3 characters with slightly varying order and assist configuration. Now they're the exact same team with 3 different color sets. *shrug*

Sometimes I'll browse through license cards on the leaderboards to see amusing usage stats. Tokido's was my favorite the last time I looked at it. It was something like this:

1) main character #1 - 2000
1) main character #2 - 2000
3) assist character #1 - 1700
4) assist character #2 - 300
5) Galactus - 6
6) everyone else - 0

One playthrough of Galactus Mode and nothing else but main team practice, lol.

Aieyla

Neo Member
My thought exactly.

I don't feel as though the Vergil battle is in Dormammu's favor. It feels very random, as with any other teleporter, but worse because of the huge hitbox on his normals. I'm not saying it's against Dormammu.

Why is C. Viper apparently Dormammu's one troublesome matchup? For me, it's definitely Dante. Hulk seems to rock me, too.

Edit: Bah, this is Karst on his wife's account. I keep forgetting I'm not logged in as me. Off to bed.

Sixfortyfive

Why aren't you using Morrigan in this game? She is stronger than ever as far as I can tell.
1) The only real use she had on my team at the end of vanilla's life was that she had an advantageous match-up against Phoenix, which was a convenient thing to have on anchor position. She didn't really offer me anything else in that configuration since "run away with Taskmaster and call meter assist" wasn't really a good strategy by that point. If it wasn't for Phoenix, I probably would have traded her in for Haggar near the end anyway.

2) I don't really enjoy and am not that great at fly-cancelling fireballs ad infinitum, and I'm of the opinion that this is more or less how you have to play her now. I also don't want to have to pick up new characters (Doom) just to compliment that playstyle.

3) Hawkeye makes any team better fits this team better.

4) She's not that much better than how she was in the previous game. She's arguably worse at rushdown considering the airdash nerf and other minor things such as Finishing Shower using up aerial actions now, although faster flight cancels do make for easier/better combos.

Sixfortyfive

With practice and the right technique there's nothing you can do on sticks that you can't do on pads.
Buster charge is annoying on pad and imo requires judicious use of shoulder buttons to do effectively. Possible, yes, but it's the main reason I've never even considered picking him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom