• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

character specific xf3 bonuses should have been the way xf was implemented. that way you don't have characters like wesker who's xf3 is so much better than many other characters xf3. then again capcom does play favorites with many characters and dante's xf3 bonus would probably make vanilla dark phoenix look balanced.
But the game does have character specific XF3 bonuses.

Wesker's XF bonus is on par with the twins. The glasses mechanics puts him over the top although Dark Vergil with DT has superior bonuses to even LVL4 Wesker.

Solune

Actually, I stayed out of those threads. I just got bored with Tactics Ogre and had already re-beat Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Figured I would give Network Battle 6 another shot.
B-b-but you're pro Joe, how can you not enter the scarf thread?? jk. But yah I feel BN6 finally returned EXE to good tier after the not so good 4 and 5.

smurfx

get some go again
But the game does have character specific XF3 bonuses.

Wesker's XF bonus is on par with the twins. The glasses mechanics puts him over the top although Dark Vergil with DT has superior bonuses to even LVL4 Wesker.
character specific as in moves they don't have in regular mode. like giving taskmaster gimlet or some other move he can steal from another character.

smurfx

get some go again
gimlet and hyper charging star.

hoETE.png

Azure J

Task with Gimlet and Hyper Charging Star is awesomely broken. :lol

Task's Dark Force being something where he emulates attributes of the character in his projectiles or sword melee would be cool too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
what's the reason you decided to go with a stick?
I won it off of GAF in a photo competition in the arcade stick thread from a very generous GAFer. Posted some pics there.

Still, I've always wanted one just to see the difference. Arcade sticks have this allure to me, part of it being the customizability (me being someone who bought an iPhone just because of all the fancy jailbreak customizations you could do). And so now I have one I'm willing to put in time to see how it works. Please excuse my shittier-than-usual play vs. you today, I've only been playing it for maybe an hour beforehand. Still not used to it. Can't even do QCFs or SRKs with any consistency. Can barely do SRKs at all.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah I only found out recently how you are supposed to do srks on stick. I was like "OOHH, that's why its a Z-motion".

Because when I do srks on pad it sure as hell is not done in a Z-motion.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'll use AMINAY notation since I'm doing this from my phone. Basically, from what I hear since I don't have a stick my self, is that you just make a Z with your hand.

Starting at the neutral position at 5. Go forward to 6, down to 2, and then down forward to 3.

If there's anyone who uses stick that can explain this better please do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't have 3S or ST :(

Also, I understand the notation, Panda. Guess I do have to do the full motion. Getting used to that and the stick's neutral state in terms of going from one direction to another is gonna take practice I guess. Thanks for the tips though. What are said shortcuts though then?

@smurfx, there was an arcade photo stick competition and since I didn't have a stick, I decided to make one out of various materials and I ended up winning! You should go hunt down the other entries in the thread though, they're probably in the last 2-3 pages (if your 100PPP); the Ryu/Chun-Li baby picture one is fantastic. I'd link you but I'm on my phone as well.

Enzo, the best way to do an SRK motion on a stick IMO is to do:
1) Forward.
2) Slide to down.
3) Ram the stick into the down-forward corner.

It's a lot faster than:
1) Forward.
2) QCF motion.

And more accurate, and won't teach you bad inputs for games that are more precise in input reading. I play Dormammu and spam Purification, so you can trust me!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I just had a memory flood back into my mind of when I was trying to learn DP and RDP in training mode in Marvel 2. I must have been like 10 or something. For RDPs I thought the input itself was reversed along with the side of the par you do it on. So everytime I would do a DP on the left I'd do down-forward, down, forward.

I catch myself doing this even today.

I wonder what game I learned qcf in. Must have been before Marvel 2.

I just had a memory flood back into my mind of when I was trying to learn DP and RDP in training mode in Marvel 2. I must have been like 10 or something. For RDPs I thought the input itself was reversed along with the side of the par you do it on. So everytime I would do a DP on the left I'd do down-forward, down, forward.

I catch myself doing this even today.

I wonder what game I learned qcf in. Must have been before Marvel 2.
Oh man, I've been doing QCF and DPs since Street Fighter 2. I can still hear my friends: "stop spamming fireballs, it's so cheap!" And then they'd get annoyed and try to beat me at my own game, and the fireball clash would slowly move to their end of the screen because I knew the timing better, and then they'd get hit and be annoyed.

"Play to win" has been in my blood since birth, but I fear that most people are scrubs straight out of the womb. They probably cried because the doctors cheated at the "stay in the womb as long as I can" game by getting Mom's cooperation. Me? I didn't even cry when I was born. I accepted the loss and learned from it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
enzo a good tip is to play older games like ST or 3s that way you get used to doing motions properly instead of the shortcut version, its tough but the investment will pay off.
MvC3 doesn't have input shortcuts, just a lengthy input buffer and a somewhat questionable way of prioritizing commands that overlap.

shaowebb

Congrats to Enzo. I know you've been eyeing sticks for a long time and I'm glad to see you end up winning that one in the contest. SRK is gonna be your biggest challenge. Karsticles method is how I do it, but you gotta grind a little at first in your opening weeks in training doing consecutives to really get stable at it. Gotta say if it wasn't for stick I likely wouldn't have gotten into Ryu in vanilla. I was training up stick and he was my training dummy since he had some of every motion.

Tatsus are damned easier on stick than pad for me and I was getting super happy with them. I began to do stuff where I'd try to time fireballs at certain heights to prevent me from falling into folks when they'd expect it to bait out an attack and then I'd tatsu-L them back into a combo. Never was too fancy though since it was regular ordinary guy I was playing but he was great for getting things down on stick since most of his stuff doesn't really require a lot of rapid back to back specials to do full combos with. Iron Fist is great for getting faster at QCF with those rekkas too. Your Ryu/IF/Ironman team should be great to grind out motions with.

MvC3 doesn't have input shortcuts, just a lengthy input buffer and a somewhat questionable way of prioritizing commands that overlap.
Personally, I consider the buffer to be a borderline bug. This is far too common for me:
1) Block a projectile with Dormammu.
2) qcb.L to charge a Dark Spell.
3) Teleport in front of my opponent and die.
4) Curse.

smurfx

get some go again
the input buffer makes it really easy to hoodlum toss people with haggar. i couldn't quite figure out how to use it to my advantage with zero though.

shaowebb

How is it exactly Marlin Pie spams seismo so fast again? Does it use this buffer,does he cancel or something, or is he just that Godlike at the motion?

JeTmAn81

I thought it was actually just starting off with a DP motion, then doing tiger knee fireball motions for all the reps after that. I'm pretty sure that's how the Bradygames guide explains it.

Got to winners finals in a local today, then lost two in a row, the 2nd being a Chris/Hsien Ko/Phoenix player :-o

Ain't even mad.
I thought it was actually just starting off with a DP motion, then doing tiger knee QCF for all the reps after that. I'm pretty sure that's how the Bradygames guide explains it.

Marlinpie doesn't do the shortcut.

FGTV has been streaming Marvel (stream 1) and SfxT (stream 2) for the last 4-5 hours.

We had Cj Show Stopper beating Noel Brown, and some nice Chris G vs PR Balrog.

Azure J

Personally, I consider the buffer to be a borderline bug. This is far too common for me:
1) Block a projectile with Dormammu.
2) qcb.L to charge a Dark Spell.
3) Teleport in front of my opponent and die.
4) Curse.

Getting teleports in front of someone when I want fucking Tigers as Strider taught me this the hard way. :lol

I fucking love this game.

No one besides Niitsuma's team could come up with such nonsense in a fighting game lol.

We're talking like this is new, it isn't even the fanciest application.

*Recalls a Japanese Vanilla video with VJ slow + Ammy slow and Spencer (i think) with the funkiest music in the background*

He is, but he does the SRK first instead of a QCF shortcut. Also, he can block.

Still the hypest thing he's ever done.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Broke out Marvel 2 just now since I have my cousins coming over.

This is a different game than I remember. Now that I understand Marvel 3 looking back at Marvel 2 is just so weird. Like I remember doing random Launches and not knowing what the hell to do after it. Even now after a launch in 2 the window to attack is a great deal smaller in 3.

Also Sentinel's spit into HSF spit into HSF is the easiest thing.

Team Complexity talks the loss to Kusoru.

Champ's wrong though, MarlinPie (if he was there) would've had the best matchup.

MarlinPie/Kusoru is my dream match.

Yea I feel the same way. I feel like Marlin has really upgraded his C.Viper play to deal with keep away and full screen. All those Chris G matches really level up his ability to use seismo full screen and the optic blast.

Plus RR has such low health that if he get a few seismo cancel in that little rodent would be dead.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yea I feel the same way. I feel like Marlin has really upgraded his C.Viper play to deal with keep away and full screen. All those Chris G matches really level up his ability to use seismo full screen and the optic blast.

Plus RR has such low health that if he get a few seismo cancel in that little rodent would be dead.
It's stuck in my head that MarlinPie is also the only one with experience in the RR matchup vs. Mr. Quotes after someone mentioned it in the FRXV thread.

ALSO WTF @ THAT RAW TAG COMBO VIDEO.

MvC3 is the most hype game ever, zero competition. The other reason why I think MvC3 is the greatest fighting game ever is because it values creativity and experimentation instead of learning restrained strings and focusing on execution. Dat metagame. Mahvel <3

It's stuck in my head that MarlinPie is also the only one with experience in the RR matchup vs. Mr. Quotes after someone mentioned it in the FRXV thread.

MvC3 is the most hype game ever, zero competition. The other reason why I think MvC3 is the greatest fighting game ever is because it values creativity and experimentation instead of learning restrained strings and focusing on execution. Dat metagame. Mahvel <3

Winrich also explored RR for a period of time.

I wouldn't go as far as saying MVC3 is the greatest game lol. I do think it's really underrated and gets a lot of unwarranted hate. MVC2, CVS2, and ST still holds my heart. L

GatorBait

I wouldn't go as far as saying MVC3 is the greatest game lol. I do think it's really underrated and gets a lot of unwarranted hate. MVC2, CVS2, and ST still holds my heart. L

UMvC3 > MvC2. It's no contest in my mind, at this point. It seems like MvC3 could never live up to the expectations of MvC2, and there were a lot of haters when it was first released, but definitely feel that Niitsuma gave us the sequel the fans deserved with UMvC3.

Grecco

I think Flashmetroid used RR once too. There were people with RR experience

UMvC3 > MvC2. It's no contest in my mind, at this point. It seems like MvC3 could never live up to the expectations of MvC2, and there were a lot of haters when it was first released, but definitely feel that Niitsuma gave us the sequel the fans deserved with UMvC3.
He wanted to give the fans the sequel they deserved. Marvel's bullshit and Capcom's priorities messed with that though. The ridiculously fast update and his thoughts on a larger roster left me knowing there was more left for this series.

I'm somewhat pleased with the game we got so far. It could have been worse. We could be the Megaman or RE fanbase. One of them has nothing and the other one mostly gets games that are nothing like their predecessors.

He wanted to give the fans the sequel they deserved. Marvel's bullshit and Capcom's priorities messed with that though. The ridiculously fast update and his thoughts on a larger roster left me knowing there was more left for this series.

I'm somewhat pleased with the game we got so far. It could have been worse. We could be the Megaman or RE fanbase. One of them has nothing and the other one mostly gets games that are nothing like their predecessors.
Isn't RE:R more like the classics? Otherwise, we are in accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom