• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

IF anything hes more derpy, hes easier to use, but was nerfed damage wise and meter wise.

Top 5?

Zero/Spencer/Viper/Doom/Wesker/Dormmamu

youd be hard pressed to make an argument that Dante is better than these 6 imo.

Dante is better than Spencer and Dormmamu, but NOT damage wise. He is better in the sense of overall utility.

I don't think Wesker is top five. Wesker's OTG assist only helps a couple teams out in Ultimate, and his anchor ability is overrated.

Zero/Viper/Dorm are the top three point characters in my opinion. Then Dante, guy who goes with everybody. He just fits everywhere. And then it rotates between Spencer/Felicia/Magneto in the last spot.

smurfx

get some go again
what happened? well its a good time to get them slim models which are sexy as fuck, especially the white one.
my 360 has been having problems for some time now. the problem being that it goes on and off on its own. it only shuts off when i just start the console and sometimes it takes a while before the problem goes away. today in particular was pretty bad as it would shut down right after turning it on. the console also turns on by itself if i leave the power cable in. sometimes it will just make the noise as if it turned on but didn't. its working right now but this console is probably going to die soon. oh well i guess i'll ride this bitch till the wheels fall off. although can i back up my umvc3 save? i would hate to lose the console and have all my ranked data erased. in other news bum has accepted my friend request. :D

Tobe

my 360 has been having problems for some time now. the problem being that it goes on and off on its own. it only shuts off when i just start the console and sometimes it takes a while before the problem goes away. today in particular was pretty bad as it would shut down right after turning it on. the console also turns on by itself if i leave the power cable in. sometimes it will just make the noise as if it turned on but didn't. its working right now but this console is probably going to die soon. oh well i guess i'll ride this bitch till the wheels fall off. although can i back up my umvc3 save? i would hate to lose the console and have all my ranked data erased. in other news bum has accepted my friend request. :D

yeah you can export everything in the HDD with a usb.

Tobe

Still shaking my head that they didnt use that and Deserted Chateau for Morrigan's theme

i know right, that theme is GODLIKE. a couple of weeks ago i asked the mods if i could do a ggpo thread to get ppl to play classic games, since the discussion could drift of to emulators and roms they told me it was a no go (well thats what i understood), btw if anyone wants to play old games just pm me anytime.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
i know right, that theme is GODLIKE. a couple of weeks ago i asked the mods if i could do a ggpo thread to get ppl to play classic games, since the discussion could drift of to emulators and roms they told me it was a no go (well thats what i understood), btw if anyone wants to play old games just pm me anytime.
I'm down for vsav ggpo. (I am ass at that game.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think Wesker is top five. Wesker's OTG assist only helps a couple teams out in Ultimate, and his anchor ability is overrated.

Zero/Viper/Dorm are the top three point characters in my opinion. Then Dante, guy who goes with everybody. He just fits everywhere. And then it rotates between Spencer/Felicia/Magneto in the last spot.
How is his anchor ability overrated when in tournaments, Wesker consistently achieves XF3 "ya hate to see this kind of thing happen" kind of comebacks?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How is his anchor ability overrated when in tournaments, Wesker consistently achieves XF3 "ya hate to see this kind of thing happen" kind of comebacks?
Because it has more to do with XF3 than with Wesker.

The only thing Wesker has that's "best in the game" material is the best OTG assist. Not that he's a slouch in other categories or anything.

Isn't RE:R more like the classics? Otherwise, we are in accord.
That is why I said "mostly" not like their predecessors. That series still has some hope compared to Megaman though.
You forgot the DMC franchise.
The DMC fanbase has always come off as a bit too passionate in my eyes. I still can't forget the crazy reactions that people had to DMC4 going multiplatform and it's kinda funny that some folks act like Capcom has been shitting all over the series just because a single bad game is coming out. Other fanbases are older and have dealt with way more crap imo. Still, the DMC franchise may be at a crossroads since Capcom is hungry for that paypah. I can sympathize and it'll suck if they continue down that road.
Agree with this. I like to think of UMvC3 as being what Vanilla should have been, so with that I think we were given the sequel that does every bit of justice to what MvC2 demanded in a sequel. Now, a better UMvC3 (addition of the "lost 8" characters that Niitsuma wanted and more varied stages instead of remixes) would've made the game as close to perfect as I could've imagined.
I can live with this game if it's the only one we will get, but I'm expecting an announcement at EVO.
At this point, pretty much everyone is dropping Dante. I think the only one still playing him seriously is PR Rog.

I still say the problem is people aren't playing him properly. Too busy trying to rush, not enough zoning.
Lots of folks here seem to be kinda one track in their method of play. Too bad the Japanese don't care much for this game. The US scene could use a push. Competition brings out the real killers and strategy.
Ugh, what do you guys do when you're feeling really rusty and that you're playing your worst ever?
I stop playing.
That‘d require for me to actually get a win...and not be in the middle of a tourney.
I start praying.

;_;
You've never had a 360 break on you? You'll be fine so long as your hard drive doesn't get messed up. Your data may end up corrupted if it turns out while saving though...

Dahbomb

The DMC fanbase has always come off as a bit too passionate in my eyes. I still can't forget the crazy reactions that people had to DMC4 going multiplatform and it's kinda funny that some folks act like Capcom has been shitting all over the series just because a single bad game is coming out. Other fanbases are older and have dealt with way more crap imo. Still, the DMC franchise may be at a crossroads since Capcom is hungry for that paypah. I can sympathize and it'll suck if they continue down that road.
Those fans aren't DMC fans. DMC going multiplatform was a good thing, allowed DMC4 to achieve high sales.

This was the best thing to come out of NCR from Marvel:

Watching a Marvel vs Capcom match is something like Dragon Ball Z. When Goku is fighting one of the main villains, they'll move around at light speed shooting powerful energy blasts everywhere, and to a casual bystander it looks like people are appearing and disappearing like magic and the earth is shaking and there's explosions in the sky and oh god what the hell is going on. But the other strong fighters will just be standing on the sidelines silently and intensely watching the match, eyes darting back and forth following it all. That's MvC. Train in it for a while and a rhyme and reason starts to emerge from all that crazy stuff. Train hard enough and you can chuck spirit bombs on fools.
Because it's so true.

If more people derped with Vergil we would see that happen at a higher ratio. Ditto on Felicia. Even at NCR, there was no Wesker in grand finals despite getting so many fraudulent wins. I will admit that Dark Wesker is super effective against certain kinds of teams and poor play in general. In terms of top anchors, Wesker barely qualifies for top 5. I would rate Phoenix, Strider, Vergil and Felicia over Wesker.

Bizazedo

At this point, pretty much everyone is dropping Dante. I think the only one still playing him seriously is PR Rog.

I still say the problem is people aren't playing him properly. Too busy trying to rush, not enough zoning.

Honestly, I think that's a big problem for a lot of the top Marvel players in general. Adapting / being patient.

It doesn't help that they're spreading themselves thin with all the games out right now.
MARCUS FENIX IS AN INNOCENT MAN
/applaud.

Grecco

Dante is better than Spencer and Dormmamu, but NOT damage wise. He is better in the sense of overall utility.

Honestly if its "utility" that makes him top 5 then what about Dr Doom who has 3 good assists, can slot in any position, actually builds alot of meter and has one of the best normals in the game (S Foot Dive)

Anyways in other things, i always laugh at the hate this game gets after a major. Because a bunch of players played shitty/dropping combos you hear people saying I HATE THIS GAME and THIS GAME IS SO RANDOM. Look at the NCR thread with the ridiculous bitch fest about SF x T vs Marvel

Wesker as anchor depends on the opponent making a mistake. That is what he does. And a lot of people were dropping combos and making mistakes.

Skrull, Phoenix, Felicia, Dorm, Arthur, Strider, Dante, Magneto and so forth don't. They become downright stupid in anchor position.

Can you run from them? Hell no. And if you don't have XF against Arthur, Dorm, Dante you have a dead char just from insane chip.

EDIT: Dante has better normals than Doom, is a better anchor, a better DHC, one of the best assists(Jam session does a lot; AA, lockdown, slows down rushdown), and his THC trick for mix ups is downright dirty.

Solune

Honestly if its "utility" that makes him top 5 then what about Dr Doom who has 3 good assists, can slot in any position, actually builds alot of meter and has one of the best normals in the game (S Foot Dive)

Anyways in other things, i always laugh at the hate this game gets after a major. Because a bunch of players played shitty/dropping combos you hear people saying I HATE THIS GAME and THIS GAME IS SO RANDOM. Look at the NCR thread with the ridiculous bitch fest about SF x T vs Marvel

That's one of the reasons this game is interesting as Spooky likes to say, everyone has their own "tier" list, who they think is top. I think Doom is Top 5 material when considering everything, and I didn't necessarily say Dante IS within Top 5, I just said he's better than Dorm/Spencer. It's hard for him to get anything going when Doom is fullscreen, but midscreen he can apply pressure pretty well. So as a point character he suffers but like you said other factors make him "top 5". As for Spencer... Recent play has shown me time and time again that his massive damage and rushdown is without a doubt in the class of the best, but as a character overall is lacking and susceptible to runaway, much like Wesker.

JeTmAn81

I played some Phoenix last night, inspired by the great Filipino Champ. My experiences only reinforced my belief that Phoenix is actually a fairly balanced character now, and you have to actually be good with her to be able to play with her at all. I am sooo bad with Phoenix. My defense is not nearly good enough to keep from being snapped in, and definitely not good enough to keep her from getting killed off when Magneto sneezes on her or whatever. I think only players with rock-solid D and overall fundamentals such as Champ will be able to be successful with her.

Tirael

I dunno if that's a big issue. Arthur and Firebrand made the cut.

Thanks, shaowebb and Sixfortyfive, you really know the right thing to say. = D

Also, half off-topic, but SFxT's Ken and UMvC3's Dante both being voiced by Reuben Langdon is ALWAYS going to mess with me. He doesn't sound different at all. In fact, when you select Ken on the Character select screen, he has exactly the same quote as one of Dante's match intros.

Azure J

I played some Phoenix last night, inspired by the great Filipino Champ. My experiences only reinforced my belief that Phoenix is actually a fairly balanced character now, and you have to actually be good with her to be able to play with her at all. I am sooo bad with Phoenix. My defense is not nearly good enough to keep from being snapped in, and definitely not good enough to keep her from getting killed off when Magneto sneezes on her or whatever. I think only players with rock-solid D and overall fundamentals such as Champ will be able to be successful with her.

I think this is one of the aspects that make me enjoy and appreciate Phoenix and Phoenix play in Ultimate. I was always a fan of the archetype, going back even into the Vanilla heyday, but after trying it out, I really started to develop an appreciation for aspects of the game that don't get touched on too often between folks trying to find dat real Soviet Amurican Mahvel Damage or cheese things out with whatever aspect of the game is most broken at the time.

smurfx

get some go again
lol i just put in vanilla marvel and omg was it easy to get huge damage with zero. his buster into lightning was way easier too.

rexor0717

So I've been working on some of that tech from the Task/Joe video. Combining the bomb loop with the slow down arrow loop kills any character and potentially build a huge amount of meter. Time to learn Joe now, :(
Anyone play Joe here?

Solune

So I've been working on some of that tech from the Task/Joe video. Combining the bomb loop with the slow down arrow loop kills any character and potentially build a huge amount of meter. Time to learn Joe now, :(
Anyone play Joe here?

I think ProfessorBeef is one of the only people maining Joe here...

Edit: Our resident Joe beats me to it. In other news haven't played forever.

rexor0717

The thing about the combo is that it kills most characters before it can get to the meter building second part. So its not quite ideal to use on low life guys. I throw Doom in the back for a less damaging, but more meter efficient combo.

When it comes to Joe, how much damage do your BnBs usually do?

Dear smurf,

that last Mr. Masters comeback was bulshevik.

Signed,

Salty Sasa

-----

Ranked was pretty decent today. Ran into a guy who knew how to do Bullet Hell really well, went about 50/50. Usually won as long as I got rid of the pretty lady.

Kept running into Alukard (or someone with his tag), kept taunting his side teams until he ran dat Skrull against me lol. Finally did and got mollywhopped. More people should play Skrull so I can get more experience and not have to be a douche to actually get a fight against one ^_^.

When it comes to Joe, how much damage do your BnBs usually do?

I think my most damaging Joe combo can do around the area of 600-700k solo, but it's really impractical and only for style purposes. Not really worth going for anymore since it also eats up the hit stun deterioration.

If you like using Slow, then you can use the solo Slow Loop I mentioned a while back. It builds exactly one meter, so you can do whatever afterwards.

After the initial Slow, get a hit into launch, then hit H, cancel into Light RHK, Medium RHK, then Hard RHK. Land, then launch them again and do it again. After the third rep hit stun will start to kick in and Slow will be just about over, so instead of launching again for a 4th, do Slow and the entire thing will reset.

I don't pay attention to how much damage my BnBs do. Maybe I should turn on the game and find out really quickly.

smurfx

get some go again
Dear smurf,

that last Mr. Masters comeback was bulshevik.

Signed,

Salty Sasa

-----

Ranked was pretty decent today. Ran into a guy who knew how to do Bullet Hell really well, went about 50/50. Usually won as long as I got rid of the pretty lady.

Kept running into Alukard (or someone with his tag), kept taunting his side teams until he ran dat Skrull against me lol. Finally did and got mollywhopped. More people should play Skrull so I can get more experience and not have to be a douche to actually get a fight against one ^_^.
hey you only came back because of x-factor so it was b.s on both sides. :p although i knew you would think i would try and cross you up when hawkeye came in and my instinct paid off.

Azure J

Yay, breaking 650K on Dante Hammer confirm BnBs with one meter and 600K with one rep of Ammy's Glaive stance BnB. I still need to properly learn her catch n carry glaive stuff, but getting that much off one meter isn't too shabby.

rexor0717

I think my most damaging Joe combo can do around the area of 600-700k solo, but it's really impractical and only for style purposes. Not really worth going for anymore since it also eats up the hit stun deterioration.

If you like using Slow, then you can use the solo Slow Loop I mentioned a while back. It builds exactly one meter, so you can do whatever afterwards.

After the initial Slow, get a hit into launch, then hit H, cancel into Light RHK, Medium RHK, then Hard RHK. Land, then launch them again and do it again. After the third rep hit stun will start to kick in and Slow will be just about over, so instead of launching again for a 4th, do Slow and the entire thing will reset.

I don't pay attention to how much damage my BnBs do. Maybe I should turn on the game and find out really quickly.

Alright, I'll have to try that out. With plasma beam behind him, I bet Joe can play a decent keep away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom