• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airan

Ugh, this game is frustrating coming from SF4 - it's way too fast haha :D

I'm rolling Ryu Vergil Spencer in that order at the moment. Any good strats with this group? I feel like the players who I'm matched up with are toying with me, playing keepaway so I switched to Ryu so at least I can throw fireballs to stall their approach (unless it's a teleporter, then I'm screwed).

Onemic

Looks like I'm gonna have to fork some money over for an arcade stick. *sigh* most of zeros good bnb's and advanced combos aren't usable with a regular controller as they almost all involve the usage of lvl.3 buster. Guess it's a necessary investment anyway as it would make playing fighting games more comfortable/easier in general.

Solune

Ugh, this game is frustrating coming from SF4 - it's way too fast haha :D

I'm rolling Ryu Vergil Spencer in that order at the moment. Any good strats with this group? I feel like the players who I'm matched up with are toying with me, playing keepaway so I switched to Ryu so at least I can throw fireballs to stall their approach (unless it's a teleporter, then I'm screwed).

I would run your team in reverse order, the assists that you can put on your team are more for combo extension than for getting in. Ryu has alot of recovery time on his fireballs so he's susceptible to fast supers like Dormammu, Ice Storm, etc. With Spencer on point or Vergil you can call Ryu and have backup on your approach at least.

Looks like I'm gonna have to fork some money over for an arcade stick. *sigh* most of zeros good bnb's and advanced combos aren't usable with a regular controller as they almost all involve the usage of lvl.3 buster. Guess it's a necessary investment anyway as it would make playing fighting games more comfortable/easier in general.
Not true, I do this on pad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwxwjamV8Fk

But that's not to say an arcade stick cannot improve your play.

You could always map L onto a shoulder button.

Dahbomb

I'm somewhat pleased with the game we got so far. It could have been worse. We could be the Megaman or RE fanbase. One of them has nothing and the other one mostly gets games that are nothing like their predecessors.
You forgot the DMC franchise.

Anything I miss from NCR that was of importance?

Onemic

You could always map L onto a shoulder button.

I could but, but constantly having to press L1 to do light attack gives me pain in my fingers.(my setup for SFxT has heavy attacks mapped to L1/R1)

Amazon.ca is out of V3 Hori sticks though. :< I have no idea where else I can get a v3 stick for the same price online.

I could but, but constantly having to press L1 to do light attack gives me pain in my fingers.(my setup for SFxT has heavy attacks mapped to L1/R1)

Amazon.ca is out of V3 Hori sticks though. :< I have no idea where else I can get a v3 stick for the same price online.

You can still have L mapped onto the face buttons. Having it also be on one of the triggers would let you be able to constantly charge buster while doing Zero's other combos (since they don't really rely on L all that much).

It's just a suggestion, but it's cool if it (literally) cramps your style.

GatorBait

He wanted to give the fans the sequel they deserved. Marvel's bullshit and Capcom's priorities messed with that though. The ridiculously fast update and his thoughts on a larger roster left me knowing there was more left for this series.

Agree with this. I like to think of UMvC3 as being what Vanilla should have been, so with that I think we were given the sequel that does every bit of justice to what MvC2 demanded in a sequel. Now, a better UMvC3 (addition of the "lost 8" characters that Niitsuma wanted and more varied stages instead of remixes) would've made the game as close to perfect as I could've imagined.

Airan

I would run your team in reverse order, the assists that you can put on your team are more for combo extension than for getting in. Ryu has alot of recovery time on his fireballs so he's susceptible to fast supers like Dormammu, Ice Storm, etc. With Spencer on point or Vergil you can call Ryu and have backup on your approach at least.

Not true, I do this on pad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwxwjamV8Fk

But that's not to say an arcade stick cannot improve your play.

Yeah I've been trying to point Spencer but when I do I get a train ran on me. I don't know how to follow up after a successful Rapid Slash (hell I don't know the approaches Spencer has), I've had more success (or they're playing sloppily) with Ryu point - tatsu cross up seems to be hard to block. Obviously that's small damage but it's stopping their flow at least.

Gotta spend some more time and stop raging out, I know I was pretty piss poor at SF4 back in the day but at least I had wake up EX seismo to get my opponent off me :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Agree with this. I like to think of UMvC3 as being what Vanilla should have been, so with that I think we were given the sequel that does every bit of justice to what MvC2 demanded in a sequel. Now, a better UMvC3 (addition of the "lost 8" characters that Niitsuma wanted and more varied stages instead of remixes) would've made the game as close to perfect as I could've imagined.
The stages are a tragedy considering the breadth of places to pull from in both universes.

The City That Never Sleeps and Days of Future Past are two of my favourite stages though.

It pains me to even think of the lost potential. I can only look forward to MvC4 next gen though to realize my dreams, even though UMvC3 is pretty close.

Tirael

The stages are a tragedy considering the breadth of places to pull from in both universes.

The City That Never Sleeps and Days of Future Past are two of my favourite stages though.

It pains me to even think of the lost potential. I can only look forward to MvC4 next gen though to realize my dreams, even though UMvC3 is pretty close.

Yes, the success of this game gives me hope that the next game will truly live up to its potential. Capcom has to see that Niitsuma can do it justice.

The only thing that bothers me is that for MvC3, Gene from God Hand was LAST gen, meaning still acceptably nearby, despite being from a somewhat small game. When MvC4 comes out, he'll be TWO gens ago, meaning his time will have probably passed. : (

shaowebb

Yes, the success of this game gives me hope that the next game will truly live up to its potential. Capcom has to see that Niitsuma can do it justice.

The only thing that bothers me is that for MvC3, Gene from God Hand was LAST gen, meaning still acceptably nearby, despite being from a somewhat small game. When MvC4 comes out, he'll be TWO gens ago, meaning his time will have probably passed. : (

If it helps he got re-released already. Maybe you can count that into your calculations.

BHK3

Banned
So day 2 of me playing this and I still haven't encountered a single person online who hasn't had wesker or virgil in their team.

Playing as Galactus was fun, didn't know you could.

shaowebb

So day 2 of me playing this and I still haven't encountered a single person online who hasn't had wesker or virgil in their team.

When you do I bet their team has either Zero, Doom, or Dante. Most likely Zero or Doom. Failing that they'll go Spencer.
Wesker, Vergil, Zero, Dante, Doom, Spencer...its pretty much one of the 6 no matter what in every match.

smurfx

get some go again
you guys see that nba gaf is now in community? they proclaim to be best gaf but we all know fgc gaf is the best gaf by far.

GatorBait

Yes, the success of this game gives me hope that the next game will truly live up to its potential.

Assuming they are starting from scratch next gen with the engine, rosters, stages, etc., I think MvC is always going to fall short of its full potential. There is just too much that they can fit into the game; the production budget (both time and money) is going to ensure that something is always missing.

Frantic

At this point, pretty much everyone is dropping Dante. I think the only one still playing him seriously is PR Rog.

I still say the problem is people aren't playing him properly. Too busy trying to rush, not enough zoning.

Grecco

At this point, pretty much everyone is dropping Dante. I think the only one still playing him seriously is PR Rog.

I still say the problem is people aren't playing him properly. Too busy trying to rush, not enough zoning.

PR Rog barely plays him. Yipes might bring him back since he said his Hakwyee/Dante team was his "main" team. Its interesting to see how Dantes evolved. I think the SRK tier list had Dante top 5? and yet every pro either thinks Dante sucks or dropped him

Pretty much. He's really an amazing space control/defensive character.

Give him a projectile assist and he becomes a mixup monster too. He's still my pick for best in the game. Some of the dumbest resets I've seen.

Creating my 3rd reserve team for fun and just wanted to know what you guys thought of the team. Spideys my favourite marvel character so I was thinking something like Spidey/Ironman/Dormammu or zero/spidey/Dormammu or spidey/vergil/Ironman. Would any of these teams be effective?

Spider-Man takes a bit of work to become effective but I think all of those teams would work, may want to think about playing with team order on em too.

Onemic

Creating my 3rd reserve team for fun and just wanted to know what you guys thought of the team. Spideys my favourite marvel character so I was thinking something like Spidey/Ironman/Dormammu or zero/spidey/Dormammu or spidey/vergil/Ironman. Would any of these teams be effective?

Grecco

Probably the last one. Spidey/Vergil/Ironman

but Spidey is reeeeeeeeeeeeally hard to use effectively. So good luck lol

Azure J

Give him a projectile assist and he becomes a mixup monster too. He's still my pick for best in the game. Some of the dumbest resets I've seen.

At least it's the good kind of dumb resets instead of "instant air grab add extra H + direction input" like Zero. :lol

JeTmAn81

Yeah, anybody who thinks Dante isn't top tier isn't playing him correctly. He's still got more tools than anybody in the game, and almost every single one of them is very useful in the right situation. His chip game is great.

Frantic

Personally, I would say Dante is the best character in the game too. Zero might be best point character, but Dante is amazing at point, second, anchor, rushdown, zoning, keepaway, assists, DHCs, THCs, TACs, meter-building combos, damage, has the most BFFs, etc... There might be characters who do something he does better than him, but there isn't a single character who can do as much stuff as Dante does. At least not as well as he does.

The only weakness I really think Dante has are slower than average normals. He can't punish a lot of things other characters can, and he also can't push buttons in someone's face. Of course, if you play smart(who does that in marvel), his normals will work just fine.

Azure J

Personally, I would say Dante is the best character in the game too. Zero might be best point character, but Dante is amazing at point, second, anchor, rushdown, zoning, keepaway, assists, DHCs, THCs, TACs, meter-building combos, damage, has the most BFFs, etc... There might be characters who do something he does better than him, but there isn't a single character who can do as much stuff as Dante does. At least not as well as he does.

The only weakness I really think Dante has are slower than average normals. He can't punish a lot of things other characters can, and he also can't push buttons in someone's face. Of course, if you play smart(who does that in marvel), his normals will work just fine.

This is pretty much how I felt about him from even Vanilla. Swiss Army Knife wasn't just my shot at putting out a witty nickname for him, he has a utility in just about every situation and aspect of the game that you can think of. The input change going from Vanilla to Ultimate only emphasized this more.

It's just kinda sad that people think "no damage" (for whatever weird assed reason, I'm getting 650K with one meter off of baby combos and can re-engage so fast it's just weird to think someone would scoff at that) and won't explore any further.

GatorBait

This is pretty much how I felt about him from even Vanilla. Swiss Army Knife wasn't just my shot at putting out a witty nickname for him, he has a utility in just about every situation and aspect of the game that you can think of. The input change going from Vanilla to Ultimate only emphasized this more.

It's just kinda sad that people think "no damage" (for whatever weird assed reason, I'm getting 650K with one meter off of baby combos and can re-engage so fast it's just weird to think someone would scoff at that) and won't explore any further.

Some people like to squeeze every last bit of damage out of their combos, but the majority of characters are going to die in 1-2 combos anyway. I'm of the mind that raw damage is of little concern to Dante with all the tools he has.

Damn, I need to put in some time and learn how to play him. One of my most requested characters post-releases, but I just haven't gotten around to putting in the time to use him semi-competently.

Airan

Swapped out Ryu for Zero on point, pretty fun! I can at least attempt a lightning loop combo (1 rep though - I can't seem to continue it afterwards. I guess this is where the assist comes into play...). Gotta work on the mid screen air combo so push the opponent into the corner next. Sadly he's pretty fragile and even with the dash tele I can't get in consistently, but eh, he's fun :)

Frantic

Well, I would say it's more the fact that going from vanilla Dante where 650k was his meterless damage to 700k average with meter, it's a sort of "it's not worth it anymore" mentality. *shrug*

Dahbomb

Dante is still top 5 in the game. The "pros" are down on him because he doesn't have the derp that he used to which made him the 2nd best character in that game (basically just shy of broken Vanilla Phoenix and above even Vanilla Wolverine). He is way more prone to hard rushdown as seen in tournaments (once you get within the range of your own normals you can beat out Dante in speed). That doesn't change the fact that people don't utilize his tools to the max nor do anything remotely optimum with him. People are still doing Hammer into Cold Shower.... like wtf.

Dante goes with every character in the game which means that no matter the meta game.... no matter who is top tier (Zero, Viper, Spencer, Dormammu, Wesker, Vergil) he is going to be in one of the top teams because of his overall utility. You want to make the best Zero team possible? You are going to have to look at Dante. Ditto for Viper. Dante also has no bad match ups the problem is that you have to play right with him for a majority of the match and that includes proper spacing and use of his tools appropriately.

Grecco

Dante is still top 5 in the game. The "pros" are down on him because he doesn't have the derp that he used to which made him the 2nd best character in that game (basically just shy of broken Vanilla Phoenix and above even Vanilla Wolverine). He is way more prone to hard rushdown as seen in tournaments (once you get within the range of your own normals you can beat out Dante in speed). That doesn't change the fact that people don't utilize his tools to the max nor do anything remotely optimum with him. People are still doing Hammer into Cold Shower.... like wtf.

Dante goes with every character in the game which means that no matter the meta game.... no matter who is top tier (Zero, Viper, Spencer, Dormammu, Wesker, Vergil) he is going to be in one of the top teams because of his overall utility. You want to make the best Zero team possible? You are going to have to look at Dante. Ditto for Viper. Dante also has no bad match ups the problem is that you have to play right with him for a majority of the match and that includes proper spacing and use of his tools appropriately.

IF anything hes more derpy, hes easier to use, but was nerfed damage wise and meter wise.

Top 5?

Zero/Spencer/Viper/Doom/Wesker/Dormmamu

youd be hard pressed to make an argument that Dante is better than these 6 imo.

Azure J

> Sees Dahbomb talk about Hammer - Cold Shower fraudulence
> Feels bad that outside of training mode, he can barely hit the Volcano followups on the Player 2 side of the screen and OTGs with Cold Shower in that situation anyway.

Meanwhile, I think I've found my official 3 teams now.

Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajira)
Dante (Jam Session)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler ~ Slide)/Magneto (Estaka) [Holy shit Magneto is fucking fun, like whoooooaaaa]
Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Doctor Doom (Hidden Missiles)/Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

IF anything hes more derpy, hes easier to use, but was nerfed damage wise and meter wise.

Top 5?

Zero/Spencer/Viper/Doom/Wesker/Dormmamu

youd be hard pressed to make an argument that Dante is better than these 6 imo.

I mean I know it's all opinions, but it's really hard for me to think of Dante not being top 3. Zero & Viper are the only ones I agree on being above him with Viper being closer to himself.

GatorBait

Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajira)

I like this team. Let me know how it goes. I may have to eventually steal it. Only downside I see, and correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not real familiar with Ammy, is that it seems like she is not going to be able to capitalize on Vajra as much as other characters.

Azure J

I like this team. Let me know how it goes. I may have to eventually steal it. Only downside I see, and correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not real familiar with Ammy, is that it seems like she is not going to be able to capitalize on Vajra as much as other characters.

With regard to Ammy, it's just a manner to keep things on the ground where she does her best, not necessarily for anything fancy damage wise. I haven't gotten to the point where I can consistently OTG with her yet though, so that opinion of mine might change.

It's a really fun team. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I dunno if that's a big issue. Arthur and Firebrand made the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom