• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Xa7Og.png

Dahbomb

Stop making me want to pick up this character again! I'm just gonna get burned with my inability to do a combo.

And what if I blow my xfactor early?
Do you blow XF early if you play a Phoenix team?

If you have Vergil on anchor you only XF when its for the win or if you get a happy birthday and you want to finish the match. Vergil solo anchor without XF is not good, pretty bad actually if he has 1 or less meter to work with. Fucking Doom can lame out solo low meter Vergil easily....

Zissou

Tri-dashing is really easy on a stick- nothing hard about: (up fwd, down forward+two buttons)*n

It might take a while to get down your character's specific timing to do the tri-dashes quickly, but it becomes second nature in no time.

Onemic

Tri-dashing is really easy on a stick- nothing hard about: (up fwd, down forward+two buttons)*n

It might take a while to get down your character's specific timing to do the tri-dashes quickly, but it becomes second nature in no time.

Like I said the problem isn't doing it, it's doing it fast so that it becomes faster than just dash canceling. When I do it it's the slowest thing ever, and if I try to do it faster the game simply doesn't register my inputs. Yet I see players like FChamp tridash at insane speeds.

Do you blow XF early if you play a Phoenix team?

If you have Vergil on anchor you only XF when its for the win or if you get a happy birthday and you want to finish the match. Vergil solo anchor without XF is not good, pretty bad actually if he has 1 or less meter to work with. Fucking Doom can lame out solo low meter Vergil easily....

hmm I'll try him out again...What's his relaunch combo?

Wesker has too many problems on anchor.

Too many bad matchups.

Also with the numbers, if we were to get a DLC or update:

Black Widow and Scarlet Witch are the two at the top on the heroes.

Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Cyke, Cable, Emma Frost, Daredevil, Emma Frost, and Colossus.

Have a nice day.

Dahbomb

I can't deny you Vergil and Strider as top anchors. I just think highly of Dark Arthur and Dark Wesker. Less holy trinity with mine and more DARK trinity.
They are both like A tier though. The difference between those 2 and the S tier anchors is that they don't have bullshit hitboxes and projectiles swirling around them meaning if they are set up you are terrified to even press a button. Plus of course tracking teleports.

Onemic

Wesker has too many problems on anchor.

Too many bad matchups.

Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Cyke, Cable, Emma Frost, Daredevil, Emma Frost, and Colossus.

Have a nice day.

Where's Bishop?!

Bishop isn't featured as much in other games that have recently came out. Scarlet Witch and Black Widow have been in very game besides this one recently released. The others are characters which have been two. I have not counted SHSO but used the Facebook game, the upcoming MMO and the craptastic fighting game for the kinect.

I can't deny you Vergil and Strider as top anchors. I just think highly of Dark Arthur and Dark Wesker. Less holy trinity with mine and more DARK trinity.
Dark Arthur isn't bad, but he's roughly on par with Dormammu as an anchor. Scary as hell if your opponent burned X-Factor, only okay if he hasn't.

Have a nice day.
What are you judging this by?

Other games. Look at post above.

Characters that appear in all 4: Magneto, Storm, Logan, Spidey, Hulk, Thor, Cap, Hawkeye, Wade, Doom and Jean
Characters that appear in 3: Wanda, Widow, Strange, MODOK, Dorm
Characters that appear in 2: Cable, Cyke, DD, BP, Colossus, Emma, She Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Ghost Rider, Rocket Raccoon, Nova, Skrull, FF, X-23
Characters that appear in 1: Skrull Queen, Taskmaster, WM, Squirrel Girl and a ton others

So the ones most likely to appear in tons of other games are the ones at top followed by the second list the the third list.

Zissou

Like I said the problem isn't doing it, it's doing it fast so that it becomes faster than just dash canceling. When I do it it's the slowest thing ever, and if I try to do it faster the game simply doesn't register my inputs. Yet I see players like FChamp tridash at insane speeds.

Try practicing tri-dashing with Doom, he can be really fast once you get it down. That's who I first learned with.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
good games, Kadaye's lobby.

Wish that I would have solid match against solarknight without lags, since the lags always hurt me the most.

Other games. Look at post above.

Characters that appear in all 4: Magneto, Storm, Logan, Spidey, Hulk, Thor, Cap, Hawkeye, Wade, Doom and Jean
Characters that appear in 3: Wanda, Widow, Strange, MODOK, Dorm
Characters that appear in 2: Cable, Cyke, DD, BP, Colossus, Emma, She Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Ghost Rider, Rocket Raccoon, Nova, Skrull, FF, X-23
Characters that appear in 1: Skrull Queen, Taskmaster, WM, Dorm, MODOK, Loki, Squirrel Girl and a ton others

So the ones most likely to appear in tons of other games are the ones at top followed by the second list the the third list.
?

Zissou

Regarding the anchor discussion- I certainly think Vergil, Strider, and Phoenix are the top three, but Vergil slightly edges out Strider who in turn edges out Phoenix. Phoenix requires the most planning and resources- you need those 5 bars. Strider is much less of a commitment- three bars for ouro, and he's still very scary even without it, and ragnarok can be a threat too. Strider can fight Dark Phoenix well too, especially if he can have ouro activated when she goes dark. Vergil takes the fewest resources to be a threat- I use Strider and quite frequently come in as anchor with just a bar or two, but not enough for orbs. With Vergil, even having a bar or two is enough be terrifying and easily begin the reverse OCV a team. Vergil also has excellent match-ups against both Phoenix and Strider, further cementing him at the top of the trinity. Vergil can spend one bar to beat Strider's level three, and two bars for crown nullifies the fact that the Phoenix player had to save 5 bars.

Regarding the anchor discussion- I certainly think Vergil, Strider, and Phoenix are the top three, but Vergil slightly edges out Strider who in turn edges out Phoenix. Phoenix requires the most planning and resources- you need those 5 bars. Strider is much less of a commitment- three bars for ouro, and he's still very scary even without it, and ragnarok can be a threat too. Strider can fight Dark Phoenix well too, especially if he can have ouro activated when she goes dark. Vergil takes the fewest resources to be a threat- I use Strider and quite frequently come in as anchor with just a bar or two, but not enough for orbs. With Vergil, even having a bar or two is enough be terrifying and easily begin the reverse OCV a team. Vergil also has excellent match-ups against both Phoenix and Strider, further cementing him at the top of the trinity. Vergil can spend one bar to beat Strider's level three, and two bars for crown nullifies the fact that the Phoenix player had to save 5 bars.

Hmm, I might have to give phoenix a try. I've notice I don't easily throw my hypers around unless I notice the other person throwing them.. bad habit though

Vice

Stop making me want to pick up this character again! I'm just gonna get burned with my inability to do a combo.

And what if I blow my xfactor early?

If you don't blow it early, I think his basic magic series combo can kill the majority of the cast. If you hit his relaunch combo it kills everyone.

Try learning the most basic variation of the sword loop first and build from there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjKvtsnQ64

The ones in this video are pretty simple. You can use the ground bounce from his jump. S to start them.

Onemic

If you don't blow it early, I think his basic magic series combo can kill the majority of the cast. If you hit his relaunch combo it kills everyone.

Try learning the most basic variation of the sword loop first and build from there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjKvtsnQ64

The ones in this video are pretty simple. You can use the ground bounce from his jump. S to start them.

you have to follow up the ground bounce with a judgement cut and then a crouching c right? because thats where most of my problems come from.

Vice

you have to follow up the ground bounce with a judgement cut and then a crouching c right? because thats where most of my problems come from.

You don't have to but it helps damage and spacing. The crouching C is easy, you can leave the judgement cut out. I do when I get a happy birthday and don't want to drop the combo. Just crouching C to spiral swords.

IIRC, the judgement cut is a link not a chain so the timing is different than most combos. It isn't too hard once you get the timing down.

You can go from wall bounce into ground bounce (if you hit let say a rapid slash into swords).

^
If that's the case just do H,S,H (round trip) Ch. C, judgement cut, Ch. C swords and you know the rest.

Video Example: www.youtube.com/watch?v=buVNJuc2mMs#t=1m52s

If you're going from ground bounce into wall bounce there's two way of doing it.

[corner] After the ground bounce just do ch. C, stinger, let go of round trip and you know the rest.

[min screen] ch. C, stinger, teleport, ch. C, swords.

Video Example: www.youtube.com/watch?v=buVNJuc2mMs#t=2m25s

Same video... teach both. Literally I learn the sword loop property in that one match alone. On my FIRST day of learning Vergil. He's so fucking simple.

Solune

Dr. Strange's big problem is that he can't cross-up against cornered opponents.
Yah it's a shame he can only do it after a hard knockdown. It's really hard to open someone up with Strange in the corner other than frametrapping.
So. God. Damn. Sick
Dat footdive combo! I wonder if there are other assists that allow for a similar set-up.
Well it'd have to be multi-hitting, Strange Bolts might work, Ammy would probably work too if you could get it to bounce right.

Zissou

Yah it's a shame he can only do it after a hard knockdown. It's really hard to open someone up with Strange in the corner other than frametrapping.

So. God. Damn. Sick

Well it'd have to be multi-hitting, Strange Bolts might work, Ammy would probably work to if you could get it to bounce right.

If only flame carpet was an assist...

If only flame carpet was an assist...
Dark Hole is pretty solid for Dr. Strange, since one of his big weaknesses is a lack of safe blockstrings.

Apologies- I should've made it clearer that I was referring to Solune's post about the multi-footdive combo using Nova's gravimetric pulse assist. I was just speculating that you might be able to set up something similar with Dorm/Doom if flame carpet was actually available as an assist.
Oh. It might work on small characters, but not as a general combo.

Zissou

Dark Hole is pretty solid for Dr. Strange, since one of his big weaknesses is a lack of safe blockstrings.

Apologies- I should've made it clearer that I was referring to Solune's post about the multi-footdive combo using Nova's gravimetric pulse assist. I was just speculating that you might be able to set up something similar with Dorm/Doom if flame carpet was actually available as an assist.

Onemic

You can go from wall bounce into ground bounce (if you hit let say a rapid slash into swords).

^
If that's the case just do H,S,H (round trip) Ch. C, judgement cut, Ch. C swords and you know the rest.

Video Example: www.youtube.com/watch?v=buVNJuc2mMs#t=1m52s

If you're going from ground bounce into wall bounce there's two way of doing it.

[corner] After the ground bounce just do ch. C, stinger, let go of round trip and you know the rest.

[min screen] ch. C, stinger, teleport, ch. C, swords.

Video Example: www.youtube.com/watch?v=buVNJuc2mMs#t=2m25s

Same video... teach both. Literally I learn the sword loop property in that one match alone. On my FIRST day of learning Vergil. He's so fucking simple.
ill try this tomorrow. thanks

Matchup question.

I've playing against a friend of mine who uses Taskmaster,Doom,Strider

his strategy is basically spam dooms beam assist while going in with taskmaster until he hit confirms and goes for a combo that basically kills my point character (nova). if I do successfully kill doom during his numerous assists he'll use striders teleport divekick assist (while doing the same thing with taskmaster) . What gets me every time is the divekick can come from either side depending on the teleport, I've tried chicken blocking it but its difficult to chicken block if you're locked down by horizontal attacks. Even with the horizontal attacks from taskmaster, if I try to advancing guard it sometimes a move comes out in between his attacks which means im screwed because im left open.

Any advice on this matchup? It seems like I need to kill his assists to stop his taskmaster dead in its tracks.

My team is Nova,frank,doom (although I want to learn ironman since if you can predict striders teleport he's basically screwed and I want to learn vergil but I would need the basics of vergil to start off).

mr. puppy

Banned
everyone should be forced to play firebrand for a month just to see what the definition of 'used up' is. welcome to the world of low damage and complete uselessness as a team partner.

onionfrog

everyone should be forced to play firebrand for a month just to see what the definition of 'used up' is. welcome to the world of low damage and complete uselessness as a team partner.
He doesn't really have any good assists does he?
I mean, I've used his otg fireball before but it seems inconsistent. And his other assists don't seem to be any good aside from potential combo extension. (Apologies if I'm talking out of my ass here, I don't really play firebrand much outside of random select)

Tobe

Matchup question.

I've playing against a friend of mine who uses Taskmaster,Doom,Strider

his strategy is basically spam dooms beam assist while going in with taskmaster until he hit confirms and goes for a combo that basically kills my point character (nova). if I do successfully kill doom during his numerous assists he'll use striders teleport divekick assist (while doing the same thing with taskmaster) . What gets me every time is the divekick can come from either side depending on the teleport, I've tried chicken blocking it but its difficult to chicken block if you're locked down by horizontal attacks. Even with the horizontal attacks from taskmaster, if I try to advancing guard it sometimes a move comes out in between his attacks which means im screwed because im left open.

Any advice on this matchup? It seems like I need to kill his assists to stop his taskmaster dead in its tracks.

My team is Nova,frank,doom (although I want to learn ironman since if you can predict striders teleport he's basically screwed and I want to learn vergil but I would need the basics of vergil to start off).

rocket super or blaster when you see doom come out, make him scared to call his assist.

vajra assist doesnt cross up afaik so just chicken block.

you pushblocking too hard if a move is coming out.

frank assist doesnt just plow through projectiles?

rocket super or blaster when you see doom come out, make him scared to call his assist.

vajra assist doesnt cross up afaik so just chicken block.

you pushblocking too hard if a move is coming out.

frank assist doesnt just plow through projectiles?
Not sure where you're going with the Vajra assist comment, since you have to block against the point character's direction regardless.

Shopping Cart 100% loses to projectiles. That's why it was a "???" moment when Noel Brown swapped Akuma out for Frank West against Morrigan.

You have to find that happy medium between what you love and what you can win with.

He doesn't really have any good assists does he?
I mean, I've used his otg fireball before but it seems inconsistent. And his other assists don't seem to be any good aside from potential combo extension. (Apologies if I'm talking out of my ass here, I don't really play firebrand much outside of random select)
Terrible, terrible assists. The OTG fireball will never be able to OTG off of an ABC combo unless Firebrand is in Luminous Body.

I really wish Nemesis was better, because AFAIK he's the only character that lets you combo off Hulk's ground throw.
Sometimes part of a character's virtue is that team support. I think Nemesis is a solid character, but they treat him like Hulk and try to get in, when he's really more like Ghost Rider and wants to maintain mid-screen distance. In fact, there seems to be an interesting trend where people think mid-range characters aren't good.

lolol I found a new game breaking glitch!

also, Balloon Bomb is the most underrated assist in the game.
That's not a glitch, that's just Zero. He's supposed to be like that.

Actually I think you'll like the glitch because it involves my favorite Dormammu assist.

I'll post more as I research it but it'll take a while because... I have to reset my console every time I do it.
You have my attention, haha. If it crashes the game, I'd never want to do it, but this should be fun.

Top Bottom