• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

onionfrog

My Ammy is super scrubby but I've been having alot of fun abusing the cold star assist and x/ammy THC shenanigans (Hawkeye/Ammy being my favorite combination currently). Does anyone here play ammy and have some tips for someone who has never used her before. (All i know is HHHHHHH)

I'm having a good time with Taskmaster as well, he does respectable damage with ABC's and assist extension. I should probably learn some real combos with him too.

I've also been messing around with different characters in training mode.
This Jill/Deadpool/Hawkeye color scheme is too good.

TyqPj.jpg
oltwh.jpg
3Dy5D.jpg

Its all about color coordination folks!

Also regarding those fanciful rumors about a new iteration of UMVC3, I doubt anything is coming...
But I want to believe!!!
Or a capcom only fighter with the umvc3 engine, that would be cool too.

Zissou

A capcom all-stars type project with the umvc3 engine would be cool since it'd be another layer of refinment/balance on top of what we already have, and a bunch of capcom characters that people wanted would likely make it in since there would be so much room for new blood. On the other hand, it might split the marvel player base, which would suck, and loved character archetypes that are well represented on the marvel side have no existing capcom equivalent (tri-dashers, etc.). I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Either way, I can't see it coming out anytime soon since they'll likely focus on darkstalkers for the time being.

Got demoted again, but eh, with how low my bar was it's going to be easier to get back to my rank and then rank up again than struggling to raise my bar.

Btw, does anyone know the notation for what the actually good players do to continue a combo from an OTG Glaive j.df+H?

Solune

I would play the fuck out of a Vergil that behaved like the one in the latter parts of that video. Oh my godddddd.
I dare someone to tell me that Vergil was boring!
I've been learning characters with low execution barriers for play on the Vita. So Haggar, Wolverine, Nova, etc. are in the mix. I thought you were supposed to need an assist to combo off Wolverine's instant overhead, but I seem to be able to make it combo with j.L, j.S into Drill Claw, then divekick. Is there a reason why this works, or is there something I'm missing? Will it only work on characters of a certain size?

Also, I just tried out Wolverine/Doom/Amaterasu because I wanted a team that could do the Doom/Ammy THC thing. Wolverine seems pretty awesome when backed by those two assists. Cold Star gives him forever to 50/50 them, and I think it can work really well with Berserker Slash, giving you a 50/50 opportunity even if they block the slash. The downside seems to be the damage scaling imparted by Cold Star or Plasma Beam, but for overall utility everything is really good. I'm just not sure why I've never seen Wolverine/Cold Star before.
The solo overhead only works on certain characters midscreen, it works on everyone or almost everyone in the corner I believe.

I ran Wolvie/Mag/Ammy in Vanilla, Wolverine with Cold Star is brutal, fuzzies everywhere and Wolverine level 2 xfactor plus Slow super = lawlz.
I'm kinda trying to piece together some more stuff for Team Devil's Catty Stride (Dante/Felicia/Strider) and I happened upon the dumbest unblockable setup I've seen so far in the game. Basically, on any knockdown near the corner (as in border of the screen) with Strider, you can call Rolling Buckler - Wall Cling - L on the wall and set up a stupid situation for anyone who doesn't front tech.
Devil Meow Stride!

You know I've been working on Viewtiful Joe, and he has some insane unblockable setups off of Slow...

Dartastic

Any west coast XBL people wanna play? I could use some tips about my movement and whatnot. I need lottttts of tips. I'll put up a fight though. I promise. :p

Sigmaah

My favorite duo in the game right now is Joe/Frank, and I've been swapping out thirds for months. I'm settled on Raccoon and Doom, but you can use anyone who works well with them. You could do a lot worse than Wesker.

What make Joe/Frank so special to you? GIMME DEM DEETS BRUH BRUH

hmm, i think i'll try noel's team of wolverine/wesker/akuma. i've been getting frustrated against wolvie, so this might help me understand the character a little better

Azure J

Had the single saltiest loss I've taken in this game ever just now on Kadey's stream. Finger laser, why are you so persistent? Mind you, I lost because of one finger laser, not like a whole bunch.

Dahbomb

They should just replace Hidden Missiles with Photon Shots.

It would be one of the few true anti-teleport assists in the game.

Azure J

Azure, when does your XBL sub run out?

January. The 2nd to be exact.

Got blown up calling Strider with Taskmaster waking up with Spidey Swing. Left the lobby and I am now determined to find a way to go balls deep in everything. Fuck defense.

Bizazedo

You're still trying to do that one perfect setup in a fast paced game. i.e., thinking too much.

I like the thought process, but it's like "must go faster, must go faster."

Zissou

They should just replace Hidden Missiles with Photon Shots.

It would be one of the few true anti-teleport assists in the game.

I think that would be fair- hidden missiles just seems impossible to balance and photon shot
has really low durability so other characters' projectiles would nearly always beat it. It still honesty might be too good though- it moves outward slowly in almost all directions, like an omnidirectional lockdown assist. On second thought, maybe hidden missiles could be balanced by removing their tracking capability altogether- they would always go to the place where the opponent's point character WAS when they were initially called.

I think that would be fair- hidden missiles just seems impossible to balance and photon shot
has really low durability so other characters' projectiles would nearly always beat it. It still honesty might be too good though- it moves outward slowly in almost all directions, like an omnidirectional lockdown assist. On second thought, maybe hidden missiles could be balanced by removing their tracking capability altogether- they would always go to the place where the opponent's point character WAS when they were initially called.
They could use Photon Shot H.

Unless you play Zero. Pretty much the reason I started switching teams was because of how he'd hassle poor Felicia.

You got Varja dude. Lol both of us are obviously bias. I think Felicia fight Zero decently enough. When Justin was running the Felicia,Nova, Frank team at WNF/TRB he handle most of the zero pretty easily. Granted that was a few months before the zero explosion.

Zissou

Zero feels like he makes a lot of characters obsolete. A good chunk of the cast is fucked against him- assists on either side be damned.

Bizazedo

Zero feels like he makes a lot of characters obsolete. A good chunk of the cast is fucked against him- assists on either side be damned.

You have to play extremely far from Zero or extremely close. He's actually fairly slow and his "teleports" aren't teleports, but people like to play this in-between distance that gets them hurt.

He also is very vulnerable to Vajra. Veeeeeeery.

Obviously, it can change based on the assists he has ;).

In fact....

/deep breath.

While I do think he's a top 5 character, I wouldn't put him above #3. Mainly due to speed / low HP (yes it does matter).

Dahbomb

Doesn't have busted hit boxes for normals, doesn't have ability to cancel out of special moves, can't get combo from full screen off his projectiles, can't TOD solo, doesn't have nearly the same corner pressure/right left game, doesn't have Sogenmu for stupid lock down/chip, LVL3 does not hit more than one opponent, has harder confirms, doesn't have a reversal that leads into a TOD, has about the same health as Zero so you can't use that excuse.

So I ask again... who is better than Zero?

Kioshen

Doesn't have busted hit boxes for normals, doesn't have ability to cancel out of special moves, can't get combo from full screen off his projectiles, can't TOD solo, doesn't have nearly the same corner pressure/right left game, doesn't have Sogenmu for stupid lock down/chip, LVL3 does not hit more than one opponent, has harder confirms, doesn't have a reversal that leads into a TOD, has about the same health as Zero so you can't use that excuse.

Lv5 Frank West and Dark Phoenix ? They still have to power up to get there however so it probably doesn't count.

Dahbomb

Should've specified that I was talking about point characters only (as in who's the best character in the first slot with 2 assists backing him up). Otherwise either Dark Phoenix or Dark Vergil are the best characters in the game but that's not a situation that is guaranteed, Phoenix may not get 5 bars and Vergil might get mixed up before hitting the ground when he comes in. Point characters will always get to play at their optimum as long as they survive the opening gambit.

I think Zero is the best point character and Viper is #2. Viper has to be backed up by Jam Session and Vajra for her to play the most optimum. Zero can be backed up by Jam Session and another assist of choice (Hidden Missiles, Rapid Slash, Beam, Drones, Vajra, Tatsu etc). Zero being better with more assists and having a better air game than Viper pushes him slightly above Viper. Plus Viper loses to Zero in the match up.

Man, half of those arguments are really dumb, dahbomb. You know better than to use "Magneto isn't a left/right character, automatically worse than zero lolol"

Magneto is the best assist punisher in the game(why does he need genmu zero? emd->shockwave DHC is more reliable and does more damage for less meter)
Magneto has the best throw mixups in the game
Magneto can combo off of EMD from full screen with assists or gravity squeeze
Magneto can guarantee mixup situations with repulsion/gravitation
Magneto's confirms aren't harder than Zero's
Magneto can meterless TOD solo off a grab with lvl 1 x-factor
Magneto has far better assists and works much better as an anchor
Zero can't DHC out while in the air
Zero is more vulnerable to hyper punishes(like Shockwave!)
Zero has worse high/low mixups(see what I did there?)
Zero doesn't have Magneto's busted jab hitbox

Should've specified that I was talking about point characters only (as in who's the best character in the first slot with 2 assists backing him up).
You have a habit of changing what you're arguing about after you start.

JeTmAn81

The solo overhead only works on certain characters midscreen, it works on everyone or almost everyone in the corner I believe.

I ran Wolvie/Mag/Ammy in Vanilla, Wolverine with Cold Star is brutal, fuzzies everywhere and Wolverine level 2 xfactor plus Slow super = lawlz.

Thanks. With Cold Star you only really have to hit them with the j.L, then it keeps them in hitstun while you land and continue the combo so that's pretty cool.

Should've specified that I was talking about point characters only (as in who's the best character in the first slot with 2 assists backing him up). Otherwise either Dark Phoenix or Dark Vergil are the best characters in the game but that's not a situation that is guaranteed, Phoenix may not get 5 bars and Vergil might get mixed up before hitting the ground when he comes in. Point characters will always get to play at their optimum as long as they survive the opening gambit.

I think Zero is the best point character and Viper is #2. Viper has to be backed up by Jam Session and Vajra for her to play the most optimum. Zero can be backed up by Jam Session and another assist of choice (Hidden Missiles, Rapid Slash, Beam, Drones, Vajra, Tatsu etc). Zero being better with more assists and having a better air game than Viper pushes him slightly above Viper. Plus Viper loses to Zero in the match up.

The only characters you could arguably put above Zero are Viper or Vergil. And there are good arguments against that as well. Nah, Zero's the king.

Dahbomb

Magneto is the best assist punisher in the game(why does he need genmu zero? emd->shockwave DHC is more reliable and does more damage for less meter)
Zero has air to ground Buster for his assist punishes which is usually a very safe option to stuff out assists. His LVL3 is just another tool in his arsenal and can clutch matches.

Magneto has the best throw mixups in the game
I will give him that but it's actually Nova who has the best throw game.

Magneto can combo off of EMD from full screen with assists or gravity squeeze
Zero can do this solo and can do it WAY MORE OFTEN than Magneto can and can do it from air to ground situation as well (full screen). This is not even close to being the same thing.

Magneto can guarantee mixup situations with repulsion/gravitation
So can Zero, he can cross you up even from mid screen situations.

Magneto's confirms aren't harder than Zero's
Zero's super jump confirm is just j.H Buster Lightning relaunch. It's easy as hell.

Magneto can meterless TOD solo off a grab with lvl 1 x-factor
ROFL LVL1XF.... HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!! Talk about a reach.

Magneto has far better assists and works much better as an anchor
But I was talking about point characters only.

Zero can't DHC out while in the air
Alright this is legit.

Zero is more vulnerable to hyper punishes(like Shockwave!)
So is Magneto, once he commits to an air dash he can be Gimlet'd, Shockwaved, or SoV'd. He is also just as vulnerable to Vajra.

Zero has worse high/low mixups(see what I did there?)
True but it's offset by Zero having superior right/left and Zero with Jam Session in a fuzzy guard situation has absurd high low.

Zero doesn't have Magneto's busted jab hitbox
And Magneto doesn't have Zero's standing launcher, st.H, j.H, cr.H and cr.M.

Zero has air to ground Buster for his assist punishes which is usually a very safe option to stuff out assists. His LVL3 is just another tool in his arsenal and can clutch matches.
Not nearly as useful as EMD xx Shockwave. And I wouldn't call Zero on point with two assists winning a game with a level 3 clutch.
Zero can do this solo and can do it WAY MORE OFTEN than Magneto can and can do it from air to ground situation as well (full screen). This is not even close to being the same thing.
Sure, but they're not the same type of character. I'd argue that Magneto plays from full screen better in general than Zero but Zero gets better chip if he wants to spend the meter.

But I was talking about point characters only.
I can make up new arguments after we start too. MODOK is the best point character in the game because he's immune to 99% of opening mixups.

ROFL LVL1XF.... HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!! Talk about a reach.
Again, the "Magneto doesn't have the same gameplan as Zero so he's worse"

He is also just as vulnerable to Vajra.

I don't agree with this. Magneto generally spends a lot more time on the ground, where he can shockwave or counter the assist at will.

So can Zero, he can cross you up even from mid screen situations.

True but it's offset by Zero having superior right/left and Zero with Jam Session in a fuzzy guard situation has absurd high low.

And Magneto doesn't have Zero's standing launcher, st.H, j.H, cr.H and cr.M.

So you agree that you shouldn't have made those arguments for Zero as a better character then.

Dahbomb

So your arguments against mine are "Magneto is not the same type of character as Zero and does not have the same game plan as Magneto and MODOK can avoid opening mix ups".

So you agree by default then that Zero is the best point character in the game. Because when your argument boils down to "they aren't the same type of character with the same game plan" that's just an admission of defeat because no shit Sherlock no two characters are the same type or have the same game plan. That's like trying to bring up that point between Zero and Vergil.

Zero makes it infuriatingly difficult to rush him down because he puts up so many hit boxes on the screen and he can pile on the chip very fast while also performing mix ups. There are quite a lot of characters who can battle Magneto but much fewer characters who can fight Zero legitimately.

By the way someone should put Fanatiq and you in the same room to start talking about Magneto. That would be a hilarious conversation to listen into.

So your arguments against mine are "Magneto is not the same type of character as Zero and does not have the same game plan as Magneto and MODOK can avoid opening mix ups".

No, my argument is that, while Magneto admittedly has worse incoming mixups, he's safer while being just as mobile and damaging(if you're only counting on point, then DHCs absolutely count) and better at punishing assists. I think he's more flexible in the neutral game and there are fewer things that throw him off his game plan.

Honestly there aren't going to be a lot of major things for us to yell about because they're both so good.

By the way someone should put Fanatiq and you in the same room to start talking about Magneto. That would be a hilarious conversation to listen into.
Nothing but nodding in agreement over a fine tea.

Dahbomb

You do realize that Fanatiq doesn't even consider Magneto to be top 5 and he thinks Nova is way better than Magneto? And he also says that Strange is a better anchor than Magneto. And says that Magnetic Blast is a theory move only with no real practical application.

You do realize that Fanatiq doesn't even consider Magneto to be top 5 and he thinks Nova is way better than Magneto? And he also says that Strange is a better anchor than Magneto. And says that Magnetic Blast is a theory move only with no real practical application.

Well we agree with how Magneto should be played, anyway. Tier discussion is just for time wasting.

kirblar

Morrigan.

Wow seriously? I play both those guys (nova and strange) and still get my a$$ handed to me.

Then again, im still learning exactly [how] to play this game.

I've been watching combofiends team (nova/spencer/strange) and I really like it. Might be the best way for me to learn is copy someone else team and try to evolve from there. Some of combofiends setups I can do no problem unless its online then I drop easy crap like air M M H S like 90% of the time but in training its much easier. One thing I dont understand about some of those setups is that combofiend starts with calling in a assist to get a hit confirm with nova then its launch air.M air.H unfly L M H S then he does novas overhead calls in spencer and then qcb.H into a hyper (then dhc's to spencer) OR he'll do qcb.H and Tag in Strange and combo from the hit stun of qcb.H. I've tried tagging in strange and combo'ing but they usually wake up by the time strange is in (then strange gets bodied). What am I missing here? is it timing?

and what are some good beginner spencer combos?

Dahbomb

You have to Tiger Knee the Crumple hit after the slant shot. Only then can you tag into Strange.

And Fanatiq is extremely biased against Magneto.

Sigmaah

So who's better than Zero?

Vergil
SPIRAL SWORDS

Fanatiq doesn't think magneto is top 5? AHAHAHA LOLOLOLOL GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE. I am biased towards Zero but at least I can admit where he belongs which is top tier. Arguing who is better in the top tier section is a different story though.

I also don't see Morrigan as that big of a deal, it's just ChrisG who makes her such a big deal/problem and missiles of course.

You have to Tiger Knee the Crumple hit after the slant shot. Only then can you tag into Strange.

And Fanatiq is extremely biased against Magneto.

seriously? this whole time I've been doing it normally. Thank you!

edit: so is it tiger knee human rocket punch H ? I always thought TK was for qcf moves and not qcb moves.

or is it a (qcb up back H)

Top Bottom