• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Well he's got a great Magneto!

Yeah all my teams that day were "two guys I think would make a good TAC team" plus Magneto lol

Although, I think I'm gonna play a lot of Wolverine/Skrull/Sentinel starting when I get home because Karst says I need a simple-combo team to get used to playing against people. I tend to do better with wolverine than magneto against people because I never practice with wolverine.

Also, I'm 100% locked in on Strider/X-23/Magneto for my main team. I've been developing a lot of new setups/mixups and actually going on the SRK character forums for once and chatting with people.

Azure J

Thanks to gottnoskill and insomnia, I started learning some new welcoming mixups. One of these is so putrid yet so easy I'll bet you wouldn't even believe it works.

Wait you use Vajra with Ghost Rider?
Yeah, Ghost Rider / Plasma Beam / Vajra.

I used Dagger Toss for a good 500 matches, and it's really good, but the beam is just necessary against teams that use Sentinel Force. I originally thought Ghost Rider could survive without an anti-air, but after getting rocked hard by Zero and Trish I recognized that I was simply wrong. I tried Jam Session and just don't think it's good for him. The only other good anti-air options are Vajra and Hidden Missiles, and I'm already using Doom. I could do Ghost Rider / Iron Man / Hidden Missiles, but...eughughgugh.

Fixed for greater accuracy.
I've faced runaway Weskers, and they eventually have to come to me.

The reason why I stopped using Ghost Rider in the beginning was because of how horrid a match up like Wesker is. You absorb a few shots with Heartless Spire but sometimes you will mistime it and either one will get through or you block it and take the chip. This eventually adds up and once Wesker has a sizeable lead Ghost Rider can't really do much to cover up that deficit without taking risks... and when he does he is open to getting clipped.

If I wanted to sit in the corner, absorb/reflect projectiles all day while calling assist... I would probably play Amaterasu.
Ghost Rider will get hit sometimes, but Vajra will hit Wesker just as hard, and Ghost Rider gets match momentum.

Ghost Rider does good against Vergil though.
He does well against a lot of characters. He has bad matchups, but him + Plasma Beam rocks teleporters pretty hard.

ROFL everyone is getting trolled by that Phantom Pain game.

Kojima you WONDERFUL TROLL!!!!
I dun get it.

Nope, Iron Fist gets nothing from his Level 3. It also has a long startup before it's active frames start so it's a bad anti-tridash.
Oh. That's dumb.

And also finally I'm glad you pointed it out. Spencer is really overrated with IF, and I would like to see a ToD with Spencer off a throw, because I'm pretty sure you can't unless you have some raw tag antics with Spencer. Spencer is still great with IF, but their synergy is limited aside from Spencer point THC and Slant shot to double crumple.
Agreed entirely. Someone should try pairing Iron Fist with someone who can THC with him for big damage punishes. But Fists of Fury is a pretty long hyper...

OMFG Dark Souls 2!!!

Edit: Shit wrong thread.

Err... Fuck Iron Fist, low tier trash...
Right thread IMO! I still haven't bought the first Dark Souls!

Yeah all my teams that day were "two guys I think would make a good TAC team" plus Magneto lol

Although, I think I'm gonna play a lot of Wolverine/Skrull/Sentinel starting when I get home because Karst says I need a simple-combo team to get used to playing against people. I tend to do better with wolverine than magneto against people because I never practice with wolverine.

Also, I'm 100% locked in on Strider/X-23/Magneto for my main team. I've been developing a lot of new setups/mixups and actually going on the SRK character forums for once and chatting with people.
I think you can do your main team as long as you stick with one.

I think I've spent a grand total of 15 minutes with Magneto in training mode from Vanilla to now.
I did a hyper grav loop a few times. Super fun.

Dahbomb

I dun get it.
There was a trailer for some game called Phantom Pain at the VGAs. It was supposed to be a new IP by this new developer named Moby Dick founded by some guy named Joakim. Trailer was vague as hell and looked like your main character was on hallucinogens, it was a very surreal experience and it ended with a giant fire whale eating up the main character.

The main character looked suspiciously like Big Boss of MGS and the engine looked similar to the one used for MGS: Ground Zeroes. Upon further investigation it is learned that this is Kojima's very subtle way of teasing MGSV. Joakim if you re-order the letters is actually Kojima. There are streaks behind the Phantom Pain logo that form letters and you will shit bricks once you realize it spells out Metal Gear Solid V. The Snake shown in the trailer is the same as the one MGS GZ right down to the facial scar. The geometry of the hospital floor plan also scream MGS (hexagons everywhere). Some of the characters that were blurry in the trailer looked like previous MGS villains like Volgin and Psycho Mantis.

You just had to be there to experience this. No other developer has the balls to tease such a huge game in this fashion. He made up a studio just so he could give credence to his troll.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I used to think Vergil combos were lame but after I saw Yipes do them so cleanly, and other players step their game up, I now think they look awesome.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ran into a gaf lurker who said they recognized my name and knows people here. "Especially Karticles" he said.

Karst is there a dude named RWAannouncer at gfaqs or something?

eww you guys go to gamefaqs?
Karsticles' roasting to commence in 3...2...1.
There was a trailer for some game called Phantom Pain at the VGAs. It was supposed to be a new IP by this new developer named Moby Dick founded by some guy named Joakim. Trailer was vague as hell and looked like your main character was on hallucinogens, it was a very surreal experience and it ended with a giant fire whale eating up the main character.

The main character looked suspiciously like Big Boss of MGS and the engine looked similar to the one used for MGS: Ground Zeroes. Upon further investigation it is learned that this is Kojima's very subtle way of teasing MGSV. Joakim if you re-order the letters is actually Kojima. There are streaks behind the Phantom Pain logo that form letters and you will shit bricks once you realize it spells out Metal Gear Solid V. The Snake shown in the trailer is the same as the one MGS GZ right down to the facial scar. The geometry of the hospital floor plan also scream MGS (hexagons everywhere). Some of the characters that were blurry in the trailer looked like previous MGS villains like Volgin and Psycho Mantis.

You just had to be there to experience this. No other developer has the balls to tease such a huge game in this fashion. He made up a studio just so he could give credence to his troll.
That was pretty awesome.

shaowebb

Im happy for "the fangame that could" getting the hand up from Capcom. Nice to see them supporting and helping a fanmade game.

BTW who just saw that the announcements were Combofiend and Haunts now having a job with Capcom and that the BIG deal was SFxTekken getting a patch on Jan19th which 2 minutes later got delayed to Jan 29th?

No marvel anywhere. Dahbomb on suicide watch.

Dahbomb

I knew there wasn't going to be any Marvel news but the fact there wasn't any legit new game announcement there despite some people teasing otherwise.

It never ceases to amaze me the attention that SFxT gets from Capcom.

shaowebb

I knew there wasn't going to be any Marvel news but the fact there wasn't any legit new game announcement there despite some people teasing otherwise.

I just couldn't get into it outside of Hugo/Poison. Maybe for Elena, but even still not worth my time if I only care about 3 in the roster. I didn't get into sf 4 series so sfxtekken didn't grab me when I played it either. If the patches make it better then hey good for them but its no fun for me to watch on streams when people pop that game up. I prefer watching KoF 13 and Marvel.

Lately I've only played Scribblenauts, KoF13 and Magic 2013. Been too busy to do much else.

Anyhow its sad no Marvel got mentioned. If it means anything Kadey is saying shes got vids and that things were left unsaid because stuff didn't come together right or some shit. Keep hoping buddy.

Sayah

Why does it amaze you? SFXTK is a crossover of the two biggest fighting IP's in gaming. They don't want their game to go down in history as a failure in comparison to TKXSF. Although, I'm personally really looking forward to the 2013 patch.

Nert

After reading a bunch of Karst's posts about Ghost Rider, I decided to start screwing around with a poorly practiced Ghost Rider/Strider/Arthur team. This is the first time that I've ever really played with Vajra, and holy shit, it's amazing. People on ranked don't really know how to react to this team so far, either. I don't know real Ghost Rider combos yet and my Strider never does anything, so my anchor Arthur ends up having a lot of bars to spend and X-factor level 3. It's pretty fun!

Although, yeah... people with drones are having an easier time against this.

shaowebb

After reading a bunch of Karst's posts about Ghost Rider, I decided to start screwing around with a poorly practiced Ghost Rider/Strider/Arthur team. This is the first time that I've ever really played with Vajra, and holy shit, it's amazing. People on ranked don't really know how to react to this team so far, either. I don't know real Ghost Rider combos yet and my Strider never does anything, so my anchor Arthur ends up having a lot of bars to spend and X-factor level 3. It's pretty fun!

Ghost Rider with Godly assists and 2 anchor-bait cast? Sounds good to me. Vajra likely puts in the work for this team, but you can't go wrong with your anchor either ending up as Arthur or Strider. Lots of comeback potential.

I'll admit though that Im hyped mainly because I fell for Arthur hard when I saw what his dagger assist and his X-factor dark arthur form could get me.

Badass.

I used to think Vergil combos were lame but after I saw Yipes do them so cleanly, and other players step their game up, I now think they look awesome.
It feels pretty cool when you learn to do them at first, but then the repeated motions get kind of boring.

Ran into a gaf lurker who said they recognized my name and knows people here. "Especially Karticles" he said.

Karst is there a dude named RWAannouncer at gfaqs or something?
RWAAnnouncer is on my PSN friends list. I don't think he has a GFAQs account, he lurks that site and this one. Very chatty fellow, always friendly, but our connection does not mesh well.

Im happy for "the fangame that could" getting the hand up from Capcom. Nice to see them supporting and helping a fanmade game.

BTW who just saw that the announcements were Combofiend and Haunts now having a job with Capcom and that the BIG deal was SFxTekken getting a patch on Jan19th which 2 minutes later got delayed to Jan 29th?

No marvel anywhere. Dahbomb on suicide watch.
Fucking SFxT. It's not even about Marvel for me, I just want that game to go away.

The big solution to the drones is to start Arthur on point. Drones make things difficult because Sentinel appears behind your opponent, so the opposing point character can block Dagger Toss, which means the drones have to be blocked as well. I switched to Plasma Beam because beams have piercing. However, Arthur's Gold Armor daggers also have piercing, so if you can upgrade him then he basically gets a Unibeam that has twice the durability as Unibeam, which gives you some sick screen control. So, put Arthur on point, create space through his double jump + Vajra call at the start of the round, armor up qcb.H to throw out Fire Bottle and then raw tag (you'll still have frame advantage).

I recommend a team order of Ghost Rider / Arthur / Strider. Why? Because if Ghost Rider is not doing so well, you can DHC like this: Spirit of Vengeance -> Gold Armor -> Legion. This puts Strider on point backed by the upgraded Dagger Toss, which makes Vajra H safe and comboable from anywhere, and Ghost Rider's Chain of Rebuttal lets Strider relaunch (call chain, qcb.S, df.H, so you have a satellite to abuse for resets).

Strider is a more scary anchor than Arthur, too, though both are scary in their own way. Gold Daggers also let Strider play a solid keepaway harassment game which is very stressful since he can teleport any of that keepaway game into a full combo at any time. Such a good character!

I recommend not ending Ghost Rider combos into hypers unless it kills. Ghost Rider's combos build crap for meter, and you want to keep 3 bars ready to either swap your team order like I said above or XFC Penance Stare to kill troublesome characters (anchor Vergils and Weskers have a difficult time against Ghost Rider). Your goal is to increase your capacity to maintain control, not to go for kill combos - that's just not what Ghost Rider is good for. Plus, Arthur and Strider both make fantastic use of excess meter. If you have 4 bars and are on your opponent's last character, don't forget that you can DHC into For the Princess.

Arthur is a solid character. Personally, I find that he only really has problems against Dr. Strange and Dormammu, since their zoning is so much better than his and their teleports and defensive moves make it hard to hurt them. Do not underestimate rushdown Arthur - everyone else will, but you must not!

shaowebb

Fucking SFxT. It's not even about Marvel for me, I just want that game to go away.

Cant really say I disagree. I like Hugo and Poison a lot, but the game felt dull when I played it. Like there just wasn't much to look forward to in the match except 20 second turtling. Playing a grappler helped a bit and Poison was a great FU to rush ins with her rising tackle and rekkas, but really it just wasn't clicking for me as exciting. It just felt too meh for me.

Maybe with all the offensive boosting in the patch it'll get better, but if you played it then you know how to run and turtle enough not to care is my guess (though throws look good now).

Honestly, I just want them to drop it so that they can do a new game again instead of another update. If they added the SFxTekken crew to SF4 I'd go into that game finally though for hugo, poison or elena. Still wanting to see Urien return somehow. In any case though I think its time for a new versus game. How about they do megaman vs street fighter as a fighter for 2013 and december 2014 for the mvc anniversary they announce its sequel.

How is this possible.

Because my ring finger is slow... so when I do Dash (LM), H my H comes out slow. With hyper grav loop I don't have to be dependent on my ring finger. I tried doing H with my index finger and just miss the button completely.

Speaking of Magnus how did Alioune do at FGTV?

Alright, I just got back from a weekend without internet, did I miss anything?

Holy shit, I wish I could've been there for that D:

Oh neat, so that's what happened to it.

Fun fact, I knew the people doing this from WAAAAAAAAY back when they would post their work on a Megaman fansite. Glad to see that it got the full treatment though.

Was it RPM or somewhere else? I forgot :T

Azure J

Was it RPM or somewhere else? I forgot :T

Yeah, it was RPM. Also:

EPHdc.gif

Dahbomb

Wow Clock just made a legendary comeback with Strider against ShadyK.

He is motivated.

But he's using Doom on Rocks assist. Not top tier enough.

Hey Karst, someone on the X-23 forum figured out that you can stop Hard Drive.

If you do a level three right as the opponent is coming in, they can't hyper right away, so if they're pinned by an assist, they just have to deal with it.

Azure J

Wait, I could swear that I had a post here saying GGs to Smurf and asking if he had comments on that last FT10... I hope I'm not going crazy here. :X

@God's Beard: I actually knew about that from that Zero guard break video a while back. If you use Raikousen M, it completely forces a block and can hit counterhit if they commit to anything.

Any Dante players know of any useful mixups or ways of approach with Vajra assist?

Really, the single easiest one is to time your teleport to start as soon as Strider's disappeared and do stuff at the end of both animations. It's so derpy I know, but if you want layers, you gotta make them block something. My personal favorite is Weasel Shot (mashing every shot out) and on the second or third to last, calling him while buffering an Air Trick. If you do it on the second shot, that's for the instant mixup, if you do it on the third, you'll appear before Strider and can sorta psyche someone with a simple air dash back to the opposite side as Strider kicks them in the head.

Another one (which actually has made me start appreciating Dante's grabs lately) is to Ground Grab forward, wave (plink works best for me personally) dash forward calling the assist from about the second dash, whiff a normal (s.H works best) and teleport. Gives you enough time to track the tech roll they doand get another silly mixup. I kinda took that from watching Yipes' use of Rapid Slash assist when he was sharing tech on his stream a while back.

Also, playing some ranked today has made me seriously love Jam Session. I was not calling this assist anywhere near as much as I should have. Holy fuuuuuck. I came up with a double layer Strider incoming mixup on the fly that I have to put into video soon just because of it. If anyone wants the transcript, it's basically:

Call Bird Bomb - Call Second Bird Bomb - Call Jam Session - Wall Cling

- Depending on what you do, the first bird bomb will hit as a side switch on incoming (the normal stuff)
- If they don't get hit with that, Jam Session's activation says fuck you if you aren't blocking correctly.
- If they block both of those, Jam Session holds them in place and forces them to drop straight to the ground. Say hello to the second Bird Bomb coming down and hitting with those weird as fuck extended frames.
- If they block all of the above, you're still on the wall at frame advantage. L for overheads and combo on.

Dahbomb

Damn I come back 3 hours later and Clockwork still grinding out at FGTV. This Hyperbolic training will ensure he will do good at the next tournament he enters.

mr. puppy

Banned
Wait, I could swear that I had a post here saying GGs to Smurf and asking if he had comments on that last FT10... I hope I'm not going crazy here. :X

@God's Beard: I actually knew about that from that Zero guard break video a while back. If you use Raikousen M, it completely forces a block and can hit counterhit if they commit to anything.

Really, the single easiest one is to time your teleport to start as soon as Strider's disappeared and do stuff at the end of both animations. It's so derpy I know, but if you want layers, you gotta make them block something. My personal favorite is Weasel Shot (mashing every shot out) and on the second or third to last, calling him while buffering an Air Trick. If you do it on the second shot, that's for the instant mixup, if you do it on the third, you'll appear before Strider and can sorta psyche someone with a simple air dash back to the opposite side as Strider kicks them in the head.

Another one (which actually has made me start appreciating Dante's grabs lately) is to Ground Grab forward, wave (plink works best for me personally) dash forward calling the assist from about the second dash, whiff a normal (s.H works best) and teleport. Gives you enough time to track the tech roll they doand get another silly mixup. I kinda took that from watching Yipes' use of Rapid Slash assist when he was sharing tech on his stream a while back.

Also, playing some ranked today has made me seriously love Jam Session. I was not calling this assist anywhere near as much as I should have. Holy fuuuuuck. I came up with a double layer Strider incoming mixup on the fly that I have to put into video soon just because of it. If anyone wants the transcript, it's basically:

Call Bird Bomb - Call Second Bird Bomb - Call Jam Session - Wall Cling

- Depending on what you do, the first bird bomb will hit as a side switch on incoming (the normal stuff)
- If they don't get hit with that, Jam Session's activation says fuck you if you aren't blocking correctly.
- If they block both of those, Jam Session holds them in place and forces them to drop straight to the ground. Say hello to the second Bird Bomb coming down and hitting with those weird as fuck extended frames.
- If they block all of the above, you're still on the wall at frame advantage. L for overheads and combo on.

I have a really really dumb idea that Strider + Jam Session is better than Dante + Vajra. Is this possible?

Top Bottom