• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

Point Doom just ain't that great. There's only one point Doom player on earth for a reason. Doom's point viability would be pretty massively undermined by any major damage nerf- his resets are pretty weak, so why reduce him to Dante level damage or something when he has worse neutral and worse resets? Doom's unfair stuff is missile assist and TAC abuse, which is a system problem more than a character problem anyway.
No one said he should have Dante's scaling value but his current ones are way too high especially given how absurd his combos get. It's why he is such an effective XF-less character, he kills off any touch or throw. No character should be doing that much damage off throws especially. Also Doom is a zoning character primarily and he has very effective zoning. I don't kid when I say that Doom solo can keep out solo 1 meter or less Vergil.

I thought about Cap, but I dunno. Charging Star might be too marvely. Taskmaster, I'm trying to avoid sword normals if I can. Basic guidelines: no sword normals, no teleports, no 8-way air dashes(C.Viper is the exception because she's literally an SF character), no instant tracking or status-affecting hypers, no crazy cancels. Frank fits that criteria but he's got basically nothing interesting to offer as permanent level 1.

Dahbomb

No status affecting hyper yet you have Hsien Ko, Arthur and Ryu on there?

And Arthur has sword normals too.

Wolverine qualifies for SF Marvel. What about Chris and Hulk?

No status affecting hyper yet you have Hsien Ko, Arthur and Ryu on there?

And Arthur has sword normals too.

Wolverine qualifies for SF Marvel. What about Chris and Hulk?

I mean affecting the opponent's status, like slow. Wolverine has a teleport, Chris is totally marvel-zoning and Hulk's charge is too marvely as well. The guidelines are just rules of thumb.

shaowebb

Someone chime in on Iron Fist. I have a feeling he might actually be good in this mode.

No launcher. No assist. Low Damage. 3/5 rounds. Taunt Bonus. Primary, parries.

Iron fist could deal with that. Rekka pressure and standing M would be good. His taunt is garbage, but hey he still has crumples and no launch is kind of a thing with his combos. You learn to extend his ground game or you lose. His pressure though is what would be fun in this mode. No beams means he can deal with fireballs and hell the guy can self buff if thats allowed.
I'll allow Iron Fei. He's SFish enough. X-23 as well. That's it though.
The return of Fei Long dominance. Standing M, rekkas, crumples, and corner pressure. This my character.
IF could do damn near full combos without launcher, couldn't he?

Yup. His launcher stuff is garbage and its all about going for multiple crumples if at all possible. As is combo-ing with the guy off of standing M through his normals and rekkas into the crumple into a second string of his normal combo is pretty loaded and he can still self buff unless we rule that out. Either way he will get in and achieve corner and pressure strings. Think Fei Long but with a few extra tricks and more damage. Extra tricks as in crumples, damage buffs, meter buffs, defense buffs, rekka cancels that can do everything from fake high lows to give kara cancel reach buffs, wall bounces, crossups, and a mean heel kick.

I'd love to see this streamed. God I wish they had local HH mode playability. So many theme events could have been done.

shaowebb

Just parries and the fact that it's 1v1 makes Iron Fist super viable.

Yeah I'm surprised he's allowed honestly. He's like broken Fei Long though I guess his frame traps aren't quite as good without assists so its not truly perpetual lockdown anymore. However, he would run a train on folks in a setup like this.

Zissou

No one said he should have Dante's scaling value but his current ones are way too high especially given how absurd his combos get. It's why he is such an effective XF-less character, he kills off any touch or throw. No character should be doing that much damage off throws especially. Also Doom is a zoning character primarily and he has very effective zoning. I don't kid when I say that Doom solo can keep out solo 1 meter or less Vergil.

Doom cannot zone a lot of important characters. He loses the ranged game to characters like Dormammu, Hawkeye, Morrigan, and Magneto. If people decide to rush him down, he has somewhat stubby normals to keep people out and no invincible reversal option save a hail mary level 3. He has significant exploitable weaknesses against different character archetypes and at mid range he's a bit lackluster since at anywhere closer than full(ish) screen, using his ground specials- especially plasma beam with it's long recover, is a huge liability. He has butter gun, but it's extremely limited.

For a character chosen 99% of the time as support, it's great that he can be played somewhat effectively in a simple fashion and that he has high damage output, but it's just a side benefit. Magneto outlcasses him in almost every way. He has his gravitation moves, estaka is better than plasma beam in most situations, he can reset a zoning situation for one bar with little risk, he can transition from zoning to offense much more fluidly, has a better/safer option select/throw game, he can wavedash, he has his AA standing L- the list goes on.

I'd be fine if they nerfed his damage by doing something to prevent the Maziodyne loop, but outside of that, I think his damage is fine given his somewhat limited toolset. Everyone outside of Combofiend acknowledges Doom isn't top tier material on point.

Yeah I'm surprised he's allowed honestly. He's like broken Fei Long though I guess his frame traps aren't quite as good without assists so its not truly perpetual lockdown anymore. However, he would run a train on folks in a setup like this.

Akuma, Viper, Chun and Ghost Rider would give him issues though.

Azure J

Everyone should have Dante's 5/5 damage scaling.

Everyone.

zero 20/30 why cacpcom why ;_;

The spoiler reminds me, what's Viper's? Because while not as "I win, don't press anything" as Zero without EX NOPE, I swear she kills from a sneeze.

I also totally agree with the 5/5 rule. Work for your damage dammit. While you're at it, learn a lost art called resetting.

Nerf

Virgil
-Swords becomes 3 meters
-Rapid slash can be blocked normally

Spencer
-All grapple hook otgs cost 1 meter
-No longer can Xfactor cancel bionic arm

Doom
-Foot dive (S) causes a soft knockdown hit box much smaller
-Missles are gone as soon as he gets hit
-All self otgs cost 1 meter

Buff

ChunLi
+Overall damage increase by 20%
+Spinning bird kick shorter charge time
+When one hit of her level 3 hits the whole thing is guaranteed no matter what.

Hsienko
+Overall damage increase by 10%
+Air dash is much faster and can be done 8 ways
+Projectile durability with pendulum

She Hulk
+rapid low jabs returned from MVC3
+ forward Air dash returned from beta build
This thread...

This motherfuckin' thread...

smurfx

get some go again
jJLq2UdyJ2eqy.jpg

The spoiler reminds me, what's Viper's? Because while not as "I win, don't press anything" as Zero without EX NOPE, I swear she kills from a sneeze.

I also totally agree with the 5/5 rule. Work for your damage dammit. While you're at it, learn a lost art called resetting.

We have discussed this numerous times before, that would be bloody unfair for your Hulks, Haggars, Sents etc that rely on one touch kills to be viable. Viper getting her high damage is not that unfair IMHO, the cheapest thing about her is her EX moves and you can't mash or throw them out randomly. Zero and Vergil getting high damage, on the other hand, is a bit unfair.

Zissou

Viscant said it best- half the reason this game is as balanced as it is is because everybody does so fucking much damage.

edit: my god i've agreed with scytheavatar, what have i done :(

Dahbomb

Viper's scaling is same as Zero, 20/30. Also same as Hulk and fucking Dark Phoenix.

kirblar

We have discussed this numerous times before, that would be bloody unfair for your Hulks, Haggars, Sents etc that rely on one touch kills to be viable. Viper getting her high damage is not that unfair IMHO, the cheapest thing about her is her EX moves and you can't mash or throw them out randomly. Zero and Vergil getting high damage, on the other hand, is a bit unfair.
And the problem isn't really their damage output, it's that they have loops.

i'm trying to learn the doom swag TAC combo. this shit is hard as fuck, I always mess up doing the dash forward after doing the (l l dash up ll dash forward)

any tips? I use the buttons to dash

shaowebb

I thought you were a good man before today.

Yeah I really hate SFxTekken so its unlikely I'll do that though. I mean I'd still have to buy the DLC roster to get the full game so even at dirt prices its still gonna cost more than I consider it to be worth to me.

Odds on I'll just keep playing KoF 13 until Injustice hits so I can enjoy the other side of comic books for new entertainment. You can't really blame me for enjoying that game. Its footsie heaven and I play friggin' Iron Fist. I do plan on trying to find as much broken stuff as I can though in the Kamen Rider Super Climax Heroes 3D fighter on PSP though. Triple Da G.O.D. has been putting out character breakdowns on cancel combos and such and I"m betting I can make some hilarious entertainment out of some of the cast in that game. Especially Eternal. He's like the love child of Zero and Wesker.

Not a game to take serious, but a game I'll have a helluva lot of fun with as a fan.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I actually want to play SFVT(aka Ultimate SF) now.

Tier predictions:

S-
Akuma

A-
Arthur
C.Viper
Ghost Dhalsim
She-Hulk
Chun-Li

B-
Felicia
Haggar
Morrigan
Ryu
Spencer

C-
Hsien-Ko

Cutting the combos is the whole point, but Akuma would get close to full conversions and otherwise doesn't lose options as bad as the others.

Ghost Rider would beat everyone, Ryu would have the longest most damaging combos, She-Hulk would also be annoying.

Spencer is crippled with out the S button.

Solune

I agree as well, scaling on case by case is really dumb because of characters that hitconfirm using obscure methods like Tron's Bonne Drill. It took me 2 throw resets to kill with Chris+Jam Session!
It's also funny when MvC2 transitioned from hitting that infinite into a reset that lands into another infinite.

Dahbomb

Iron Fist would have the most damage because he can get a ton of damage even without using the launcher (actually if you are using the launcher you are doing it wrong anyway).

Ghost Rider would be beast in this mode because there are no aerial characters or teleporters to worry about. Chris would be really strong too. You would have to counter pick Chris with Captain America or something.

Dahbomb

Akuma can zone everyone out and he has better mobility than most of the other characters plus he can combo off of throws. He can also get decent damage without a launcher because of his ground bounce. He can't teleport though but you don't really need it anyway.

If moves with S were allowed Viper would obviously be the best but she can't even do her unblockable nor can she do her EX moves or Focus Attack Dash cancel without using the S button. She would be able to Seismo spam and shoot lasers... and that's it. Akuma would own that.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Pssh I could probably catch an Akuma doing that with She-Hulk.

Out of the available characters only Hsien-Ko, Spencer, Haggar, and myabe Morrigan would have trouble getting past that.

shaowebb

If it aint a beam then it aint a problem most times with fist. Neutral jumps fishing for throws are what he does. Id just jump in and either block or throw you trying to catch me. Plus he has jumping crossups to mix in there so even though he may take a little chip you couldn't run from him with just fireballs.

Onemic

Anyone know of some beginner Strider combos? I've been trying to practice Combo I in the Brady guide and I can't for the life of me figure out the timing for his fwd jump M after his L air dive because you literally can't see him when he lands.

Zissou

Anyone know of some beginner Strider combos? I've been trying to practice Combo I in the Brady guide and I can't for the life of me figure out the timing for his fwd jump M after his L air dive because you literally can't see him when he lands.

Super basic Strider combo: L, M, H, cr.H,
S, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, jump back up after landing, j.M, j.H, j.S, legion. It's nigh undroppable. Does ass damage though, like 450k or something IIRC.

Onemic

Super basic Strider combo: L, M, H, cr.H,
S, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, jump back up after landing, j.M, j.H, j.S, legion. It's nigh undroppable. Does ass damage though, like 450k or something IIRC.

This is the brady guide one that I can't get. The j.M after landing is ridiculously hard to get because I don't know when Strider lands since I can't see him.

Well, what's your team?

Dante/Mag/Strider

Top Bottom