• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Onemic

Try holding up before you land. That way you jump instantly.

Already do that. Doesn't change a thing, since I can't see strider when he lands so I can't gauge when to press M. You have to do it before you can even see him.

And the rare times I do get it, legion almost always whiffs and I have no idea why. Sometimes I'll input Legion a little late after he lands and it'll still hit and others I'll do it as soon as he touches the ground and it will whiff.

Zissou

Try holding up before you land. That way you jump instantly.

This! The one I posted isn't the one from the guide I don't think- that one has multiple qcf.Ls in it, not just the one. That one is a pain in the ass and if you're going to go through that much effort, there are better/more damaging combos anyway.

Onemic

This! The one I posted isn't the one from the guide I don't think- that one has multiple qcf.Ls in it, not just the one. That one is a pain in the ass and if you're going to go through that much effort, there are better/more damaging combos anyway.

Whoops, it looked exactly the same. I'll try the combo you posted, hopefully I'll get better results.

Also Zissou how exactly do you use Dante effectively? I've been practicing his sj IAD and dash cancels to sj IAD, but of course in a match with people jumping and super jumping at every opportunity, it isn't close to being as effective as I initially thought it would be. >_> Also with Dantes slow ass normals I always get beat as soon as anyone comes into st./cr. L range and I can't do anything about it but block and take the mixups.

EDIT: Ya that Strider combo you posted is piss easy and only does about 10kdmg less than the Brady games one (not sure about meter loss though)

Zissou

Whoops, it looked exactly the same. I'll try the combo you posted, hopefully I'll get better results.

Also Zissou how exactly do you use Dante effectively? I've been practicing his sj IAD and dash cancels to sj IAD, but of course in a match with peple jumping and super jumping at every opportunity, it isn't close to being as effective as I initially thought it would be. >_> Also with Dantes slow ass normals I always get beat as soon as anyone comes into st./cr. L range and I can't do anything about it but block and take the mixups.

Marvel being what it is- your goal is to never let them get into that range and force you to block something in the first place. Dante is good at mid-range space control with his sword normals and various special moves at his disposal. Air-dash based offense is good as both j.M and j.H can cross up and lead to full combos, but their hitboxes aren't as good as you might think. To use them effectively offensively, you need to take advantage of assists, use the element of surprise (transitioning from zoning to rushdown unexpectedly), and the fact that characters should have to respect/be scared of j.S canceled to hammer.

Also, don't just air dash H over and over again- mix it up with air dash H followed by a ground dash into crouching M to keep them on their toes. Air dash j.M and j.H also whiff at certain ranges against certain characters which something else you need to be familiar with. Try this yourself- select Frank as your punching bag in training mode and set him to crouch, then try air dash j.M and j.H. j.M works only at close range while H whiffs, and the reverse is true at long range.

Onemic

Marvel being what it is- your goal is to never let them get into that range and force you to block something in the first place. Dante is good at mid-range space control with his sword normals and various special moves at his disposal. Air-dash based offense is good as both j.M and j.H can cross up and lead to full combos, but their hitboxes aren't as good as you might think. To use them effectively offensively, you need to take advantage of assists, use the element of surprise (transitioning from zoning to rushdown unexpectedly), and the fact that characters should have to respect/be scared of j.S canceled to hammer.

Also, don't just air dash H over and over again- mix it up with air dash H followed by a ground dash into crouching M to keep them on their toes. Air dash j.M and j.H also whiff at certain ranges against certain characters which something else you need to be familiar with. Try this yourself- select Frank as your punching bag in training mode and set him to crouch, then try air dash j.M and j.H. j.M works only at close range while H whiffs, and the reverse is true at long range.

When would you use air dash M over H and vice versa anyway? Right now I've been sticking to IAD M, simply because I'm still trying to practice the motions.

Zissou

When would you use air dash M over H and vice versa anyway? Right now I've been sticking to IAD M, simply because I'm still trying to practice the motions.

Like I mentioned, choosing one or the other is range dependent- starting closer, M is better and further away H is better. In general, I think M is a better ambiguous cross up. Go into training mode against a character like Frank or Morrigan set to crouch and get a feel for the hitboxes of each move and the ranges that they work at.

edit: I believe super jumping makes it harder for your opponent to react since you reach minimum air dash height sooner which makes the entire thing faster and harder to react to. Also, other Dante players in marvel GAF are WAAAAY better than me and probably have more/better advice than me.

Ra1den

Hmm, my new copy of the PS3 version of UMVC3 came today from Amazon, and it didn't come with a manual. It also says "not for resale" on the inside of the case. What the...

Onemic

Like I mentioned, choosing one or the other is range dependent- starting closer, M is better and further away H is better. In general, I think M is a better ambiguous cross up. Go into training mode against a character like Frank or Morrigan set to crouch and get a feel for the hitboxes of each move and the ranges that they work at.

edit: I believe super jumping makes it harder for your opponent to react since you reach minimum air dash height sooner which makes the entire thing faster and harder to react to. Also, other Dante players in marvel GAF are WAAAAY better than me and probably have more/better advice than me.

Ya, I only do sj IAD. It almost never works though because people are jumping like 99.99% of the time.

Solune

No assists

No launchers

No XF

Bonne Wonderla.... Final Destination

Me and a friend actually played this way for shits and giggles, although Launchers were still involved. It was intense as fuck. It came about because he beat me using Ryu and my anchor was Akuma and he said "looks like Ryu is more powerful than the Satsui no Hadou". Then I said hold the fuck up, that's not even close. So we said no assists, no X-factor, point character only. It's really fun provided you have two characters around the same level.

Ra1den

That's kind of cool. Post a pic!

Y8caz.jpg

That white 2 page insert is all it came with, typical safety info stuff.

Ra1den

Mine says that too and I got it the first week.

Don't know about the no manual thing though.

Hmm, the plot thickens. Well whatevs, manual is not needed for this game anyway.

I'm just gonna youtube some cheap Zero or Vergil stuff and get this party started.

half-joking

New Marvel glitch:
https://twitter.com/MarlinPie/status/278664305216454656
https://twitter.com/MarlinPie/status/278664923410755584
https://twitter.com/MarlinPie/status/278677511456567296

Hmm, the plot thickens. Well whatevs, manual is not needed for this game anyway.

I'm just gonna youtube some cheap Zero or Vergil stuff and get this party started.

half-joking
You have the Dante avatar. :p

Add your PSN in the GoogleDoc on the OP and add some folks to your friends list.

Will do, after labbing it up a bit.
Cool. What team are you thinking about using?

Well jRPGMarvel-GAF. SE does it again. It's funny how much wrong and how much right Japanese devs can get.
Oh man. Luckily, I didn't expect anything. I just got a PSP-1001 with a broken analog stick for $30 and I'm having fun messing with custom firmware stuff. I expect to spend some good time with JRPGs in the near future.

I recommend you play me for a free experience.
Haha. If we ever get an expansion, we'll have to rank people so all the newbies can know where they stand.

Azure J

Who's on Xbox that wants some "dicking around with learning things/characters" matches? Add me (AzureJericho) if you haven't and let's get something started within the hour. Going to try and grab something to eat first.

Flight based? Devil Trigger continues to show promise.

Well jRPGMarvel-GAF. SE does it again. It's funny how much wrong and how much right Japanese devs can get.

I don't even know what this is about but I'm going to take a look.

Ra1den

I recommend you play me for a free experience.

I take freedom to bold new levels. The last time I played a fighting game seriously was the original Marvel VS Capcom ages ago. And even then I never bothered learning the finer points.

Cool. What team are you thinking about using?

Zero/Vergil/Strider or Zero May Cry, or maybe something with Vergil on point and unsure of which assists I'd use. I don't have much time I can dedicate to practice right now so I figure my best shot of doing decently is with somebody like Zero where I can just continually try to mix them up and then keep things going, once I get my stuff down in training mode. I'd be quite open to any other suggestions for a good starting team.

I'm also partial to wanting to learn Wesker since I love the character and I heard Chris G in an interview say he was a good character for new players to learn the game on.

At this rate isnt a UMvC3 patch inevitable? I mean Capcom would have to be paying attention to this stuff.

Please for the love of god reduce the damage of combos
The development team loves the high damage combos.

We so need ranbats here to rank everyone.
That would be nice!

I'd be at the bottom.
You're one of the best on the PSN-side.

Zero/Vergil/Strider or Zero May Cry, or maybe something with Vergil on point and unsure of which assists I'd use. I don't have much time I can dedicate to practice right now so I figure my best shot of doing decently is with somebody like Zero where I can just continually try to mix them up and then keep things going, once I get my stuff down in training mode. I'd be quite open to any other suggestions for a good starting team.

I'm also partial to wanting to learn Wesker since I love the character and I heard Chris G in an interview say he was a good character for new players to learn the game on.
Zero is not a casual character. I don't mean to discourage you from using those teams, but those team configurations are all about ToD combos through lightning loops. Wesker is far easier to learn.

Bottom tier bros unite.
Haha, he's joking. APP is good at this game.

Onemic

I take freedom to bold new levels. The last time I played a fighting game seriously was the original Marvel VS Capcom ages ago. And even then I never bothered learning the finer points.

Zero is pretty high execution just saying
I fell into this trap too :(

Currently I have been 100% correct in guessing my freeness against an opponent when they say they suck. So based on odds you have a pretty good chance against me!

Ra1den

Zero is not a casual character. I don't mean to discourage you from using those teams, but those team configurations are all about ToD combos through lightning loops. Wesker is far easier to learn.

Zero is pretty high execution just saying
I fell into this trap too :(

Currently I have been 100% correct in guessing my freeness against an opponent when they say they suck. So based on odds you have a pretty good chance against me!

I see...I was concerned about having to hold down a button to keep the buster charged all the time. I can't imagine that is easy to do. And of course the loops.

Onemic

I see...I was concerned about having to hold down a button to keep the buster charged all the time. I can't imagine that is easy to do. And of course the loops.

Then again I play Dante and am totally new to Marvel in general, so I can't say not to play him. :p Just be prepared to rage and complain all day about how you don't understand why your combo wont connect, like I did/still do. Just play Zero and team him up with low execution characters so you can pretty much solely focus on him.

I should really take my own advice and not play Dante and Mag on the same team, but Im a stubborn man!

Ra1den

Maybe I'll pick the Noel Brown Wolvie/Frank/Wesker team. Seems like it would be one of the easier teams to play. Though looks can be deceiving and maybe it's hard as hell to use :)

Zissou

Maybe I'll pick the Noel Brown Wolvie/Frank/Wesker team. Seems like it would be one of the easier teams to play. Though looks can be deceiving and maybe it's hard as hell to use :)

All those characters are easy to use and be effective with. You'll have difficulty against zoning though.

Dahbomb

New Marvel glitch:
https://twitter.com/MarlinPie/status/278664305216454656
https://twitter.com/MarlinPie/status/278664923410755584
https://twitter.com/MarlinPie/status/278677511456567296

You have the Dante avatar. :p

Add your PSN in the GoogleDoc on the OP and add some folks to your friends list.
Something something sandbox + new tech is appeal of Marvel so we won't patch game anymore.

I want to see this glitch in action and its practicality. This is potentially huge for characters like Storm and Firebrand.

Fchamp vs Clockwork FT10 set. Hyperbolic time chamber level training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28b3dJv0aE

It's not that hard of a team to play but the problem is that it's extremely momentum dependent, you must be perfect in your level up Frank combos and your incoming mixups must be on point. Against people who snap in Wesker after killing Wolvie you're going to have a lot of problems.

Vice

At this rate isnt a UMvC3 patch inevitable? I mean Capcom would have to be paying attention to this stuff.

[]Please for the love of god reduce the damage of combos[/spoiler]

High damage is fun though. In most fighting getting hit by three or four good combos will lead to losing. It's the same for MvC3.

What the hell has happened to the PSN side that I'm one of the better players?
Since when have you not been one of the better players? List your PSN player tier list if you disagree, and show me how many people you think are better than you.

Something something sandbox + new tech is appeal of Marvel so we won't patch game anymore.

I want to see this glitch in action and its practicality. This is potentially huge for characters like Storm and Firebrand.
Here's to hoping.

High damage is fun though. In most fighting getting hit by three or four good combos will lead to losing. It's the same for MvC3.
MvC2, IMO, was more hype than UMvC3 partially because tagging through characters actually meant something. It sucked to have a character regain 50% of his/her health. In UMvC3, it's only a problem for keepaway teams.

Onemic

That usually doesn't happen though, In UMvC3, that's the norm.

Niitsuma said infinites won't be patched because "Marvel is about being creative."

Oh welp.

I would also love if they changed the way your character comes in when you die so it isn't mixup land for your opponent. *newbie talk

Azure J

Watching the Yipes/MarlinPie set right now and man is this some good marble or what.

The instant overheads from Marlin's Viper are out of this world. I did not know she was capable of these levels of filth. I'm sitting here absolutely disgusted.

At 22:22 I felt it. Yipes face appropriate for that.

Just wanted to dissect this one here for a second, you have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes with Viper's blockstrings.

For example, take a look at this approach:

s.M - H (Call Jam Session) - Thunder Knuckle M (Feint) - jump and go fucking nuts with Dante locking things down. This is considered "baby mode" by the way.

From that jump, the go to is j.L - c.LM - Burn Kick Feint - j.L - j.H - s.L. I've also seen solo things from her that would make me drop the game if I didn't like it as much as I did. Shit like:

ADDF j.S - land - instant overhead j.H - Burn Kick (that would cross up if let loose) Feint - ADD - land - s.L

Viper is putrid. Moms are tough indeed. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just wanted to dissect this one here for a second, you have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes with Viper's blockstrings.

s.M - H (Call Jam Session) - Thunder Knuckle M (Feint) - jump and go fucking nuts with Dante locking things down. This is considered "baby mode" by the way.

From that jump, the go to is j.L - c.LM - Burn Kick Feint - j.L - j.H - s.L. I've also seen solo things from her that would make me drop the game if I didn't like it as much as I did. Shit like:

ADDF j.S - land - instant overhead j.H - Burn Kick (that would cross up if let loose) Feint - ADD - land - s.L

...motherfucker

Queen of mix ups. Adding the burn kick feint to her in Marvel was an ingenious idea.

Zissou

The crazy thing is people sometimes manage to block all that. I still remember that match where Josh Wong blocked Marlinpie for like 10 consecutive marvel seconds- shit was nuts.

Top Bottom