• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

So after running a fairly long set earlier today against a Morrigan/Doom/Magneto team, I'm trying to think up some straight anti-MorriDoom strategies and setups for my team solo and backing each other up. I was able to make some leeway with the original tech I made up of Twister while calling the assist (Vajra) and going into Devil Trigger, and I was also using a lot of Dante's tools to soak some Soul Fists and missiles, but I didn't like how helpless Viper & Strider were solo. Viper can avoid and stall for a while (and she is most excellent at sniping the hell out of an assist), but it sucks trying to get in on all that solo with Viper. Strider on the other hand feels like he has everything to run the show but the things I think of most take time that isn't granted when all those hitboxes are on screen.

The correct way to go about it is to stop her zoning before it starts, but versus Astral Vision at the start, things get a bit hairy for someone who doesn't play against it much. That being said, what do you all think the primary goals for survival/beating the Sou Sou Trap should be?

Zissou

Stall in the air with air dashes and burn kick feints. If you get tagged by a random soul fist or missile, your air actions are reset and you gain access to assist calls even if you had super jumped up there (IIRC). Once astral vision is over with, Viper has solid options. Without soul fists coming from behind you, ex thunder knuckle becomes a viable tool if she does soul fist spam anywhere near the ground, and with good seismo pressure, I assume non-astral vision Morrigan would be forced to stop calling doom and try to chuck soul fists at super jump height, but you have vajra assist, so she can't really do that either.

mr. puppy

Banned
Tron B, Frank A, Dante A

I can't even master Dante's BnB

actually, thats not a bad team and i could see it working. dantes moves and combos are really tough though. maybe you want to put something in that back that supports tron/frank better, maybe sentinel or doom (i have no idea how good either of them are at levelling up frank though).

Nova/WHO/Strider, GAF? Want a MorriDoom killswitch as well. Would prefer not to work, either...Doom on beam fits, but Derp Doom is so wrong, especially when dudes like Clockwork make him look super fun. Viper, Dante fit...maybe Kl'rt? Think he can get an air d+H off it too... or the Captain :eek: Shield Slash L to pick em up? Would likely change that to Cap/Nova/Strider. Clint's not a bad choice either.

I think Dick's another great candidate to take her out, honestly.

Characters with decent OTG's for Vajra:

Wecker
Wade Wilson
Foot Sinatra
Wiper
Christopher Robin
The Cat

(Possibly)
Mr Rogers
Tron
Kl'rt
Chun

Characters who help + get a little bit of Vajra:

Bourne Legacy
FRONK
Iron Guy
Wiper
Dorm
Raccoon
HERE I AM wearing my blue Bleach belt

Doom seems like the no brainer T_T On beam of course to beat those missiles.

Azure J

Stall in the air with air dashes and burn kick feints. If you get tagged by a random soul fist or missile, your air actions are reset and you gain access to assist calls even if you had super jumped up there (IIRC). Once astral vision is over with, Viper has solid options. Without soul fists coming from behind you, ex thunder knuckle becomes a viable tool if she does soul fist spam anywhere near the ground, and with good seismo pressure, I assume non-astral vision Morrigan would be forced to stop calling doom and try to chuck soul fists at super jump height, but you have vajra assist, so she can't really do that either.

I actually managed to use this to great effect with Viper + Strider, but my issue is really more about the individual character as in with no assist. Gotta admit though, that is legitimately stupid as fuck. Stalling with BKFs only for the camera to work against the guy on the ground and get clipped with a Vajra is almost wrong looking. :lol

@Sasa: Dante free. At the same time, I know you tried a bit of him before and said it wasn't you. Also, as resident Spidermang, you can't have a team without the namesake/franchise character involved. Team building is so hard in this game if you don't settle on something wonderful from the jump.

Edit: Doom is great too, but I hate that fucker lately.

@Sasa: Dante free. At the same time, I know you tried a bit of him before and said it wasn't you. Also, as resident Spidermang, you can't have a team without the namesake/franchise character involved. Team building is so hard in this game if you don't settle on something wonderful from the jump.

Yeah, just prepping some teams for when Parker doesn't cut it. The bug will still be the headliner against most of the people I run into. This is just for options when I need them.

Nova's still in my top 5 for favourites in the game, plus he's pretty silly. Strider is pure MvC2 assist character in this build -- I have no plans to learn him outside of XF3. It's a scumbag team.

As hard as team building is, two and glue still holds... where glue is looking to be Doom or Capcom Doom (Dante) a lot of the time now. Gonna test run a couple from that list I made -- in all likelihood, will settle on Doom, but I'm interested in seeing how the Captain would work.

I'm pretty sure by the time next EVO rolls around, Team New York will be the main squad, my original will be the sub, and Avengers/this new team/others will split the tough matchups and give some wrinkles. I know most of these characters and archetypes enough to make em fit together -- just have to work on actually using them, lol.

And I hear ya on Doom. Clock's is the only one I can watch atm cause he's bringing some sweet stuff to the table; so many unoriginal (albeit, effective) Doombots everywhere T_T

Zissou

I actually managed to use this to great effect with Viper + Strider, but my issue is really more about the individual character as in with no assist. Gotta admit though, that is legitimately stupid as fuck. Stalling with BKFs only for the camera to work against the guy on the ground and get clipped with a Vajra is almost wrong looking. :lol

Why do you need to figure it out from a unassisted character perspective? I assume the structure of the match for Viper/Dante/Strider against morridoom is something like this:

1. Stall out astral vision with Viper while talking as little damage as possible. Once AV is over you can bring the fight to her and call assists freely again. Whenever you touch her, you do whatever you have to do to kill her, mission accomplished.

2. If Viper gets low to the point of being in danger of being chipped out and Morrigan still has AV up, you probably have at least 2 meters, so use whichever hyper of hers has the most invincibility in a hail mary attempt to catch Morrigan/Doom before DHCing safely into devil trigger Dante. Viper regains red life and Dante continues the game plan of stalling out astral vision and then fighting/killing Morrigan once AV is over(and he’ll have DT for a little while, giving him better options for stalling as he comes in).

3. If Dante still can’t get anything going and he’s about to die and Morrigan somehow STILL has astral vision up and meters to burn, things start to get hairy. You probably need to focus on building whatever meter you can as Viper/Dante take their last breaths and play for x-factor level 3 Strider and hope you can touch Morrigan. Unfortunately, you probably won’t have meter at this point for orbs, you can still have a chance of the reverse OCV. Non-AV Morrigan has to respect xf3 Strider (though be careful of Missiles and don’t do H-vajras recklessly), and if at this point Morrigan somehow has the meters to last out your xf3 with multiple astral visions, you probably didn’t do steps one and two properly.

I do the same thing (more or less) with my Doom/Dante/Strider team, but most Morrigans online are trash and get hit by Vajra in the first three seconds of the match, so I don’t know what’s practical against a truly strong morridoom player.

Azure J

Why do you need to figure it out from a unassisted character perspective? I assume the structure of the match for Viper/Dante/Strider against morridoom is something like this:

1. Stall out astral vision with Viper while talking as little damage as possible. Once AV is over you can bring the fight to her and call assists freely again. Whenever you touch her, you do whatever you have to do to kill her, mission accomplished.

2. If Viper gets low to the point of being in danger of being chipped out and Morrigan still has AV up, you probably have at least 2 meters, so use whichever hyper of hers has the most invincibility in a hail mary attempt to catch Morrigan/Doom before DHCing safely into devil trigger Dante. Viper regains red life and Dante continues the game plan of stalling out astral vision and then fighting/killing Morrigan once AV is over(and he’ll have DT for a little while, giving him better options for stalling as he comes in).

3. If Dante still can’t get anything going and he’s about to die and Morrigan somehow STILL has astral vision up and meters to burn, things start to get hairy. You probably need to focus on building whatever meter you can as Viper/Dante take their last breaths and play for x-factor level 3 Strider and hope you can touch Morrigan. Unfortunately, you probably won’t have meter at this point for orbs, you can still have a chance of the reverse OCV. Non-AV Morrigan has to respect xf3 Strider (though be careful of Missiles and don’t do H-vajras recklessly), and if at this point Morrigan somehow has the meters to last out your xf3 with multiple astral visions, you probably didn’t do steps one and two properly.

I do the same thing (more or less) with my Doom/Dante/Strider team, but most Morrigans online are trash and get hit by Vajra in the first three seconds of the match, so I don’t know what’s practical against a truly strong morridoom player.

It's really a challenge I've posed upon myself after receiving the critique that my point character "crumbles" when unassisted. Now I'm just trying to brush up on them uniquely as a sort of exercise to see if it was me or not.

Also, Emergency Combination DHC'd to Devil Trigger is seriously hot shit against hard zoning.

Zissou

It's really a challenge I've posed upon myself after receiving the critique that my point character "crumbles" when unassisted. Now I'm just trying to brush up on them uniquely as a sort of exercise to see if it was me or not.

Also, Emergency Combination DHC'd to Devil Trigger is seriously hot shit against hard zoning.

I assume you get a full combo on hit from that DHC, yeah?

Anyway, I understand it's a good exercise to play un-assisted just to truly explore your point characters' full range of strategic options, but pretty much every point character "crumbles" to some extent without assists (unless they have dat x-factor still). That's the point of Marvel, right? People whining about assist use/abuse in marvel are probably the same people who think throwing is cheap in SF or whatever- they need to he sent a link to Sirlin's manifesto for a wake-up call.

@Sollune:
GGs. I was rather pleased with the Dormammu team, and for the first time in who-knows-how-long, I was actually having more fun with the Dormammu team than my Ghost Rider team. I was especially happy that I could hold my own against your team despite it having a lot of elements that make it feel like a counterpick. It'll take me a while to get used to the team, but TK Overdrive opens some interesting possibilities up for Dormammu.

I'm sure you could tell that my movement control with Dormammu has improved. Those aerial wave dashes opened your Chris up a lot, but they don't do anything against Dante, unfortunately. I was able to maneuver around Vajra a lot. I just need to work on countering Vajra on reaction. I got it a few times, but more often ended up getting Dormammu hit. What are your thoughts on the team?

And the Ghost Rider team...I got mauled those first few matches, and then I started using Vajra as my primary offensive assist instead of Plasma Beam. That turned the tables a bit. Who knew Chris annihilates Plasma Beam assist so handily? Poor Doom...

Edit: Oh, and the highlight of our matches for me was when I caught Strider assist with Shadow Blade -> Finishing Shower FUCK YEAH! Practicing in training mode paid off...

It was also my first time ever attempting the Phoenix XF3 infinite, and I got giddy that one time I accidentally used Finishing Shower in the air, but noticed that you were calling Vajra, so DHCed to Chaotic Flame, XFC, Chaotic Flame for the win - take that Strider, you flying cheeseball!

Why is it so hard to be good at this game...
GGs, not sure what was up with your internet though.

I think you should sit down and master some combos with your characters. You're not doing nearly enough damage. Just spend like 15 minutes a day doing combos, and you'll eventually do them without effort.

This new one is going to be directed very differently from that POS.

Incoming GAF argument that Wolverine Origins wasn't that bad.
That movie was a piece of shit. Its only redeeming moment was when Wolverine said "Koo-koo-ka-chuu", and my wife and I laughed because that's what we call one of our cats.

Only redeeming moment.

Azure J

Had an extended set with Gottnoskill a few moments ago. Whoo boy, Viper is the gulliest bitch in the game. I fear for the day when someone starts blending fast horizontal assists or the meesyles with her while she dances around putting Seismos wherever you try to run to. :lol

Solune

Exploring EX Thunder Knuckle

Spending a meter on a crumple hard tag setup to make two with the following combo... Pants on head mode I tell ya. :lol
I like the concept, I think you can take it further by doing more damage pre-crumple!
That Chris tech is pretty damn interesting actually.
After experimenting with it, it's really risky if you don't go for the jump. And going for the jump isn't necessarily safe against certain characters. Crossing yourself up or getting anti-aired is definitely possible. The best option is jump back but you can really hurt yourself against teleporters. Situational good tech though.
@Sollune:
GGs. I was rather pleased with the Dormammu team, and for the first time in who-knows-how-long, I was actually having more fun with the Dormammu team than my Ghost Rider team. I was especially happy that I could hold my own against your team despite it having a lot of elements that make it feel like a counterpick. It'll take me a while to get used to the team, but TK Overdrive opens some interesting possibilities up for Dormammu.
Glad to hear your were having fun, because I wasn't everytime I lost to DP! I need to improve my anti-Phoenix tech, that is certain.

My salt levels reach maximum when I get hitconfirmed off 7 or 8 Ls in a row. In all honesty it is just pure stupidity. I don't particularly care if I sound like a scrub. That shit needs to go, in fact characters with rapid fire Ls are just ugh.
I'm sure you could tell that my movement control with Dormammu has improved. Those aerial wave dashes opened your Chris up a lot, but they don't do anything against Dante, unfortunately. I was able to maneuver around Vajra a lot. I just need to work on countering Vajra on reaction. I got it a few times, but more often ended up getting Dormammu hit. What are your thoughts on the team?
As I said before Chris or myself I guess, is free to tri-dash pressure if he has no mine out. And it doesn't make sense to lay out a mine full screen if the opponent isn't approaching because that's a free punish, especially to fast shit like Chaotic Flame. I wouldn't count on countering Vajra everytime, because there WILL be times where you aren't aware that it's coming. If you react to it, great but it's really messy when you get hit by it and I get a large combo from it.

I think the team is great, And also starting Dorm is fine, at least when you're not faced with a RTSD character. Using Morrigan to get that 5 Levels fast is a double edged sword IMO. If i was better I could probably kill Morrigan more often than not with 2 opportunities, but I started to play sluggishly after the halfway mark and you started to dominate.

The team is also interesting in that, usually if I killed your point character when it was X/Dorm/Morrigan, I'd still be fucked because fully stocked Dorm + Morg is almost impossible to penetrate sometimes. But when you start Dorm and Morg, I don't feel any fear at all, even though I got happy bdayed a few times (It happens ALOT with Vajra!) I never felt overwhelmed and lost due to a mistake.
And the Ghost Rider team...I got mauled those first few matches, and then I started using Vajra as my primary offensive assist instead of Plasma Beam. That turned the tables a bit. Who knew Chris annihilates Plasma Beam assist so handily? Poor Doom...

Edit: Oh, and the highlight of our matches for me was when I caught Strider assist with Shadow Blade -> Finishing Shower FUCK YEAH! Practicing in training mode paid off...
Chris vs GR was really interesting, GR seems to have the upperhand even after a blocked Magnum since that s.H is so good. It takes alot of patience that I lost over the matches to open him up. Also I'm just gonna admit. I'm salty that I lost to your Strider, everytime. I haven't been playing Marvel at all though... Been playing SFxT. I KNOW I KNOW blasphemy, I got a PM from a certain someone calling me a heathen! I like the game, what can I say. It just has alot of flaws that I'm ok with playing with. I don't play it competitively though.

My highlights were when I did Cold Shower xx Prop Shredder X 2 and finish Phoenix or when I did Chris Combination Punch assist Teleport incoming mixup. FEELS GOOD MAN. Any win against Phoenix feels good =p. Dat Morrigan Phoenix Menage a Trois I got with Strider felt good too ;).
It was also my first time ever attempting the Phoenix XF3 infinite, and I got giddy that one time I accidentally used Finishing Shower in the air, but noticed that you were calling Vajra, so DHCed to Chaotic Flame, XFC, Chaotic Flame for the win - take that Strider, you flying cheeseball!
That shouldn't even have happened =(. Somehow I blocked the Chaotic Flame with Dante but got hit with the XFC Dark Hole xx Chaotic Flame after I blocked the initial Chaotic Flame =(.

Azure J

I like the concept, I think you can take it further by doing more damage pre-crumple!

Thing is, there's a weird circumstance with doing the crumple tag like that where some characters will recover quicker from the floor than others depending on the number of hits used beforehand. What's more, the HSD makes it kinda nuts to get a lot after the pickup unless the setup puts you in the corner perfectly. You have to hit consistently with moves getting smaller time frame (although it's really just the second j.H as you call Strider that's "hard" there).

LakeEarth

Incredible "lol hitboxes" moment. I have Akuma in front of me, he calls Sentinel so he's behind me. Say a foot on either side of me. Both near death. I hit Akuma, so I continue the combo hoping to kill him before the drones hit. When I hit S (with Spencer), not only does it kill Akuma, but my arm swings around and somehow smacks Sentinel behind me. KO!

He later loses by grazing Nova's back when doing his gravametric blaster hyper. It's kinda like Magneto's magnetic tempest hyper, except there is ZERO visual cue that it can hit you there.

Nova/WHO/Strider, GAF? Want a MorriDoom killswitch as well. Would prefer not to work, either...Doom on beam fits, but Derp Doom is so wrong, especially when dudes like Clockwork make him look super fun. Viper, Dante fit...maybe Kl'rt? Think he can get an air d+H off it too... or the Captain :eek: Shield Slash L to pick em up? Would likely change that to Cap/Nova/Strider. Clint's not a bad choice either.
Why not Nova/Hawkeye/Strider?

Glad to hear your were having fun, because I wasn't everytime I lost to DP! I need to improve my anti-Phoenix tech, that is certain.
Haha, she's such a rush to play. I used Phoenix/Dormammu/Morrigan in Vanilla for a while and had a blast, but dropped Phoenix because she's not playable on point with stuff like Vajra around combined with all her nerfs.

My salt levels reach maximum when I get hitconfirmed off 7 or 8 Ls in a row. In all honesty it is just pure stupidity. I don't particularly care if I sound like a scrub. That shit needs to go, in fact characters with rapid fire Ls are just ugh.
Haha, give me a while and you won't see that happen. I'm just not used to the character enough yet in those situations. I'm not mashing the L button because I'm panicking, I'm doing it because I honestly don't know how to convert off of the anti-air L! With c.L I tended to go into TK Overdrive L, but I should get used to taking a moment to dash forward and do a combo from the hit confirm.

Besides, you have Strider anchor! You don't get to complain about Dark Phoenix anything! Phoenix honestly could use some buffs IMO. I could feel the salt on your end because you would spam attacks on my dead character, and you usually don't do that. :p

As I said before Chris or myself I guess, is free to tri-dash pressure if he has no mine out. And it doesn't make sense to lay out a mine full screen if the opponent isn't approaching because that's a free punish, especially to fast shit like Chaotic Flame. I wouldn't count on countering Vajra everytime, because there WILL be times where you aren't aware that it's coming. If you react to it, great but it's really messy when you get hit by it and I get a large combo from it.
I'm pretty good at sensing when Vajra is coming, just not so great at punishing it. That will change, though, since you and APP both love Strider assist. I'll learn the timing more and more. Ditto for Morrigan and fly-canceling into Shadow Blade.

You were really good at air throwing my tridash pressure. I've only played a handful of people who make me hesitate to tridash H with Dormammu.

I think the team is great, And also starting Dorm is fine, at least when you're not faced with a RTSD character. Using Morrigan to get that 5 Levels fast is a double edged sword IMO. If i was better I could probably kill Morrigan more often than not with 2 opportunities, but I started to play sluggishly after the halfway mark and you started to dominate.
Your team is pretty unique in the assist punishing area. Against most players, I can run around calling Dark Harmonizer all day and Morrigan never gets hit. Those Magnum shots put the hurt on her, and I didn't even think about you continuing the chain on her with continual OTGs at first.

Yeah, we'll see how the team functions against the likes of Wolverine. If I can get half a second of breath I'll be home free. I might have to run Morrigan on point against those teams. I like that I can combo into Astral Vision and make it meter neutral with Dark Hole.

The team is also interesting in that, usually if I killed your point character when it was X/Dorm/Morrigan, I'd still be fucked because fully stocked Dorm + Morg is almost impossible to penetrate sometimes. But when you start Dorm and Morg, I don't feel any fear at all, even though I got happy bdayed a few times (It happens ALOT with Vajra!) I never felt overwhelmed and lost due to a mistake.
Can you expand on this?

Chris vs GR was really interesting, GR seems to have the upperhand even after a blocked Magnum since that s.H is so good. It takes alot of patience that I lost over the matches to open him up. Also I'm just gonna admit. I'm salty that I lost to your Strider, everytime. I haven't been playing Marvel at all though... Been playing SFxT. I KNOW I KNOW blasphemy, I got a PM from a certain someone calling me a heathen! I like the game, what can I say. It just has alot of flaws that I'm ok with playing with. I don't play it competitively though.
If it makes you feel worse, I haven't played Marvel in a week. ;-) It's cool if you like SFxT. I don't hate the game for its mechanics, I hate the game because it's boring and that much DLC is a horrible rip-off, and people need to let Capcom know it is not okay.

I think Ghost Rider might have the advantage against Chris, but we'd need to play more matches. There were a few tools I wasn't utilizing that would help (anti-air chains while you're coming down from air attacks).

My highlights were when I did Cold Shower xx Prop Shredder X 2 and finish Phoenix or when I did Chris Combination Punch assist Teleport incoming mixup. FEELS GOOD MAN. Any win against Phoenix feels good =p. Dat Morrigan Phoenix Menage a Trois I got with Strider felt good too ;).
Hahaha, I was really surprised the Cold Shower, Prop Shredder chain didn't drop. Dante is still a top 5 bullshit character in my opinion, I'd love to see more nerfs on him.

That shouldn't even have happened =(. Somehow I blocked the Chaotic Flame with Dante but got hit with the XFC Dark Hole xx Chaotic Flame after I blocked the initial Chaotic Flame =(.
Maybe you were mashing pushblock when I XFCed? I know I had lots of "that should not have happened" moments. Usually any time Dark Phoenix died because I still suck with her. DARK PHOENIX SHOULD ALWAYS WIN DAMN IT! I spent 5 bars on this chick, she better put out.

Vice

I think Dick's another great candidate to take her out, honestly.

Characters with decent OTG's for Vajra:

Wecker
Wade Wilson
Foot Sinatra
Wiper
Christopher Robin
The Cat

(Possibly)
Mr Rogers
Tron
Kl'rt
Chun

Characters who help + get a little bit of Vajra:

Bourne Legacy
FRONK
Iron Guy
Wiper
Dorm
Raccoon
HERE I AM wearing my blue Bleach belt

Doom seems like the no brainer T_T On beam of course to beat those missiles.

Nova/Vergil/Strider works surprisingly well. Cap/Nova/Strider devastates assists calls though.

Phoenix is the only character in this game that makes me want to instantly quit playing. DP is so herp derp over powered it's incredibly unfun. Maybe I get one unlucky or lucky hit and instantly win or lose, it's dumb. I know there is anti Phoenix tech but as of now I'm not eager to learn any. I feel like most people think she is still good and is a great high risk character with great rewards but at the same time it never feels rewarding. Oh I won with DP whoop de do.

Phoenix is the only character in this game that makes me want to instantly quit playing. DP is so herp derp over powered it's incredibly unfun. Maybe I get one unlucky or lucky hit and instantly win or lose, it's dumb. I know there is anti Phoenix tech but as of now I'm not eager to learn any. I feel like most people think she is still good and is a great high risk character with great rewards but at the same time it never feels rewarding. Oh I won with DP whoop de do.
If Phoenix were a normal character with 750K health (Strider health), I'd use her without the Dark portion. She's everything I love in a character. Good aerial movement, ability to keepaway or rush, teleport, and a trijump normal that crosses up. That's just not how the cookie crumbles, though.

And I think she's very fair for all the work it takes to get her. You have to play a two-man team without meter expenditure, and there are still hard counters to the setup. Everyone has a responsibility to form anti-Phoenix tech just like people need anti-tech for any other character.

I find her greatly rewarding because of how fun she is to play. I don't need to "work hard" to feel good about my wins. Though of course I do work hard with my team because of how it's constructed. Alternatively, other top anchors like Vergil, Strider, and Wesker get all their goodies for free, and they steamroll teams just as easily as Dark Phoenix does. Especially the first two.

Regardless, I hope this won't make you less inclined to play against me!

Edit: Sollune, which match did you PM me "Nuuuuuuuuuuuu!" about?

I rather lose to herp derp PHX then get happy birthday by one helm breaker. I feel like there's enough "time" for me to do something about DP. However random ass helm breaker can occur at any moment and I'm toast.

picked up Vergil about 1-2 months now. My time to be derpy!!!

Dahbomb

Phoenix is "fair". If you learn to counter the character and develop some anti-Phx tech her threat level becomes rather low. Quite a lot of work is required to get those 5 bars unless you have Dark Harmonizer.

People still get happy birthday'd by random Helm Breakers? No ones fault but their own. Everyone knows Vergil does two things when coming in Helm Breaker and Dimension Slask, meaning you need to first do a meaty j.H OS to get him to block or beat his buttons then drop him in your assist.

Azure J

Incredible "lol hitboxes" moment. I have Akuma in front of me, he calls Sentinel so he's behind me. Say a foot on either side of me. Both near death. I hit Akuma, so I continue the combo hoping to kill him before the drones hit. When I hit S (with Spencer), not only does it kill Akuma, but my arm swings around and somehow smacks Sentinel behind me. KO!

He later loses by grazing Nova's back when doing his gravametric blaster hyper. It's kinda like Magneto's magnetic tempest hyper, except there is ZERO visual cue that it can hit you there.

Don't know why I'm reminded of this all of a sudden.

Phoenix is "fair". If you learn to counter the character and develop some anti-Phx tech her threat level becomes rather low. Quite a lot of work is required to get those 5 bars unless you have Dark Harmonizer.

People still get happy birthday'd by random Helm Breakers? No ones fault but their own. Everyone knows Vergil does two things when coming in Helm Breaker and Dimension Slask, meaning you need to first do a meaty j.H OS to get him to block or beat his buttons then drop him in your assist.

Yes even JWong and Yipes still get hit by that shit. Everybody gets hit by that shit. Of course the % is way down, but still 1 out of 10 is annoying as fuck.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am mad fucking impressed by all of Alioune's characters, wow. Only watched Clock set thus far but it was a really damn solid set.

The way he used Phoenix to escape so many of those mix ups, the way his Morrigan moves, the ways he utilizes raw tags to punish and escape stuff he can predict. I need to see him play Chris G.

I think he has the best Phoenix.

Also Alioune says Morrigan is #3 in the game, that Chris G could really improve his Morrigan movement and that RayRay has the best Magneto, even if it's random.

mr. puppy

Banned
I am mad fucking impressed by all of Alioune's characters, wow. Only watched Clock set thus far but it was a really damn solid set.

The way he used Phoenix to escape so many of those mix ups, the way his Morrigan moves, the ways he utilizes raw tags to punish and escape stuff he can predict. I need to see him play Chris G.

I think he has the best Phoenix.

Also Alioune says Morrigan is #3 in the game, that Chris G could really improve his Morrigan movement and that RayRay has the best Magneto, even if it's random.

i want somebody to smack him in the face and force him to put missiles on that team instead of phoenix. or at least dante.

Ra1den

Been in training mode with Doom, fun as hell to play with. I've got his foo-foot corner loop down alright, though I can't get the OTG on the 3rd loop sometimes. I think it has to do with messing up the timing of my downwards dashes.

Been in training mode with Doom, fun as hell to play with. I've got his foo-foot corner loop down alright, though I can't get the OTG on the 3rd loop sometimes. I think it has to do with messing up the timing of my downwards dashes.
Make sure you're canceling the downward air dash into j.M.

GB: not leaning towards Clint because of Mr. Puppy's reason, and I don't feel that Hawkeye Strider is particularly oppressive. 645's the only one I've played that I think "I can't let this shit get started." Smurf's Haggar is what scares me the most on his team btw, haha. If I have him second, I'd rather just run the Spidey team. He's point or he dies when I play him T_T

Vice: Cap/Nova/Strider sounds pretty legitimate, that's the order I was thinking too. Gonna give it some burn.

mr. puppy

Banned
im gonna give magneto/morrigan/dante a shot actually. i wonder what i can do with this team if i jack some of the movement stuff alioune is doing. or if i can even execute it.

JeTmAn81

Oh the tutorial I watched didn't even mention to do that. Will give that a try.

I've noticed it also seems to work best to wait until you see the actual S footdive hit before you airdash. I tend to buffer the j.M, j.M, F+H, S sequence of it, which works fine I believe up until you get to the airdash. It seems like you need to wait for the last footdive to hit before airdashing in order to do it most effectively.

GGs Slasher. After losing to XF3 Turnabout Wright a few times I thought "Okay, it's worth burning the meter". I'm still trying to find the balance between burning meter and not burning meter with Dormammu, because when I burn meter I feel like I get it back so fast that it doesn't matter, but at the same time I know that's false, haha. I always forget that Wright's Turnabout crouching finger doesn't hit low and get caught with the overhead.

The opening moments against Wesker went better than I thought. The new air dash maneuverability I've been practicing really changed the Hulk and Wesker matchups for me, and I wasn't nearly as afraid of both of them as I usually am. I could tell you were having more trouble AAing me with Hulk as a result. I'm still scrubby with Phoenix (especially Dark Phoenix), but that will change with time.

Also, in those matches I reached a conclusion: Wright's bad evidence throwaway move is really good against Dormammu.

I'm curious what you thought of the team, and @Solune and you: what do you think of tagging Phoenix in early to get her Dark so I can re-acquire meter vs. burning meter with Dormammu and re-topping myself to 5 bars? I feel like I have mixed success with both approaches.

Goddamn Spencer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h47KzmeI_ck&feature=player_embedded

Dormammu hitboxes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLeKW0tmiS4&feature=player_embedded

DEM RESETS

Also, I imagined the vertical size of chaotic flame would be larger. Would Chris be able to prone position under it or no?
You could give it a try. All of the "small" characters in the game can duck under Chaotic Flame at full screen. What's funny is that Chaotic Flame pushes people back, and sometimes these characters get nicked toward the end while blocking. So they pushblock, which puts them under Chaotic Flame's hitbox, but they're mashing so hard that they dash back into it - lol.

I think Chaotic Flame's vertical hitbox got nerfed in Ultimate, but we'll never know for sure unless Capcom confirms it.

Top Bottom