• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to perfectly time a guard break after a block string. I know alioune had a couple setups for it.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna go with my main team for the 1000 match challenge. I'll play the other two to reset my brain every once in a while, but I'll only count Strider/X-23/Magneto towards the challenge. Should get me some more experience.

Azure J

edit: wow I love the glitch thread on SRK. Apparently the guard break glitch(throw on the same frame as they block/get hit) saves hit states. So if you call a wall bounce assist and throw someone the same frame the assist hits, they wall bounce after the throw animation.

What the hell? We got Medusa tactics from Soul Eater now? :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to perfectly time a guard break after a block string. I know alioune had a couple setups for it.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna go with my main team for the 1000 match challenge. I'll play the other two to reset my brain every once in a while, but I'll only count Strider/X-23/Magneto towards the challenge. Should get me some more experience.
It's too bad you're starting next weekend, since that's when my family is coming to visit.

At least UMvC3 gives you a built-in tracking system for the challenge.

It's too bad you're starting next weekend, since that's when my family is coming to visit.

At least UMvC3 gives you a built-in tracking system for the challenge.

Well I'll have better internet for about 6 weeks so I'll have plenty of time. I also have one friend who's basically the Socal equivalent of Bum(beastly haggar player that stays home), so I'll get a lot of matches in with him too, I'm sure.

How come you never see anybody use the level 2 versions of Spiral Swords on incoming characters? There's a lot of times where people finish off a character with Spiral Swords and still have a second or two left on it, but are content to let it expire. Wouldn't sticking the crown on someone almost always be a good idea in that situation? Especially since people are blocking the round trip mixup so often these days.

Solune

Why wouldn't I care? I always enjoy talking with you about our matches. And I know that feeling. Luckily, I've never lost something as important as a term paper (worst was a Starcraft strategy guide I wrote in 9th grade).
Well day later responses and all! And I've lost a guide like that too (Legend of Mana).
More frankly, I'd like to know why you think rapid fire L's are more bothersome than the many other ridiculous things in this game (1F command grabs into full combos, air dashes, teleports, etc.).
Command grabs I have no problem with actually, even Skrulls. I find that they make the game more dynamic because aside from regular throw resets, they are really risky and hard to perform unless the setups are specific. 8 way movement is a staple of marvel, I can't really make that an argument, I mean I should man up and learn Magneto rather than complain about his maneuverability being much better than Chris'. Teleports, are way too good compared to previous installments. That I can see, but they aren't unpunishable.

Rapid Fire L's aren't worse than teleports, but they have their own conditions that make them irritating (Hard to pushblock, lead into said command grabs, substantial damage reduction but not negligible.) I mean, it's not solely MvC3, P4A has autocombo which is dumb. I think it's a "rewarding for mashing" type of deal.
Do you think that a character should have normals that are impossible to punish? :p Every time I kill Dante I wonder how my opponent let that happen, because the matchup is just so bad for Dormammu. Pushblock, Chaotic Flame punish is all Dormammu has in some matchups, since Dante is immune to keepaway (even Dark Matter -> Mass Change) and outranges all of his normals.
Well it's kind of like when people die with Strider, Dante requires a consistently higher execution than most other characters. Dante is basically the mould your own character, the character is only as good as the player is that is using him. Once he has an error, he's done for because of his health.

Dante also still has bad matchups vs characters with faster normals. albeit his can deal with them provided he makes the breathing space he needs.
Hmm. Maybe you need to be less pre-emptive with your inputs? I know it's a bad habit I have, and I am overly predictive with Purification at times.
Yah I guess it's something that I need to work on.
This is super old, but it's a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9J7DNhxNcY

3 bars + X-Factor to chip out Phoenix, and she got a health nerf in Ultimate. Why don't people use this stuff? Trading XF1 with a Phoenix team is a very good trade.
I took out a chunk of Phoenix text because you and Dahbomb pretty much covered alot of topics, so I don't want to waste time reiterating things that have already been said.

In response to the video, I realized I never burned X-Factor on Phoenix until she came in Dark... I need to work on this. Also I changed my Chris assist back to Gunfire SPECIFICALLY to counter Phoenix for the THC shenanigans. I realized I never THCed once during our matches... This is what happens when I concentrate on one aspect of the game (throws/airthrows) and forget about everything else. (CCs, THCs, TACs)
---
Also, If you really want to know why Chris' worst matchup in the game is Magneto, I would watch the FGTVlive Archive of ShadyK vs GC Yoshi. (That just happened tonight)

More people picking up my team!
MarlinPie plz pick either Viper/Doom/Strider or Viper/Doom/Dante or Viper/Dante/Magnus. Viper/Dante/Doom works too. If you want to keep using Ammy then replace Doom with Magnus plz.
He'd be going back to Vanilla team then huh? I wonder how that would work out... considering he realllly reallllly likes Doom. Like he said during a live_oratory that the ONLY character he respects are really good Doom players. He even went to say he didn't care about Viper players at all. Though that was quite a while ago.
I want to see a "Girl Worth Fighting For" exhibition. The best Phoenix, Morrigan, X-23 and C.Viper players duking it out.

I'd really just like to see Phoenix vs X-23, but there aren't enough X-23 players yet :-(

You are on a roll with your ideas lately.

Dahbomb

How come you never see anybody use the level 2 versions of Spiral Swords on incoming characters? There's a lot of times where people finish off a character with Spiral Swords and still have a second or two left on it, but are content to let it expire. Wouldn't sticking the crown on someone almost always be a good idea in that situation? Especially since people are blocking the round trip mixup so often these days.
People use Storm Swords almost always against anchor characters (well the good players do, the average Vergil players just default to derp mode and use Spiral Swords). A lot more players have started abusing Blistering Swords now especially Flux and Yipes occasionally. The safe pressure, high/low mix ups and the fact that you can't tag/DHC out to negate it makes it a superior option to use instead of Storm Swords when they have 2 characters left. Top players have started to block Storm Swords better so the better Vergil players are opting to go Blistering Swords instead but it's harder to use.

There is a lot of way to use meter with Vergil and it depends from player to player.

Is anybody going to a major next year?

I'm going to NCR for sure, probably EVO and maaaybe SCR.

People use Storm Swords almost always against anchor characters (well the good players do, the average Vergil players just default to derp mode and use Spiral Swords). A lot more players have started abusing Blistering Swords now especially Flux and Yipes occasionally. The safe pressure, high/low mix ups and the fact that you can't tag/DHC out to negate it makes it a superior option to use instead of Storm Swords when they have 2 characters left. Top players have started to block Storm Swords better so the better Vergil players are opting to go Blistering Swords instead but it's harder to use.

There is a lot of way to use meter with Vergil and it depends from player to player.

Blistering Swords gives Vergil high/lows? I didn't know any of his jumping normals would hit crouching opponents.

Dahbomb

Blistering Swords gives Vergil high/lows? I didn't know any of his jumping normals would hit crouching opponents.
He can cancel his air normals into instant overheads using Blistering Swords. Like he can do jump S really low to the ground, cancel with Blistering Sword attack into j.L instant overhead or he can not do that go for a low. Instant overheads work on crouching Amaterasu so it should work on anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3oJAy1Xck&playnext=1&list=PLCA880CC095AE8CA5&feature=results_main

I like your new avatar.

People pick Vergil because he doesn't require thought. You're already showing that you're not fit to play Vergil GB.

Well day later responses and all! And I've lost a guide like that too (Legend of Mana).
You could respond a month late and I'd be interested.

Command grabs I have no problem with actually, even Skrulls. I find that they make the game more dynamic because aside from regular throw resets, they are really risky and hard to perform unless the setups are specific. 8 way movement is a staple of marvel, I can't really make that an argument, I mean I should man up and learn Magneto rather than complain about his maneuverability being much better than Chris'. Teleports, are way too good compared to previous installments. That I can see, but they aren't unpunishable.

Rapid Fire L's aren't worse than teleports, but they have their own conditions that make them irritating (Hard to pushblock, lead into said command grabs, substantial damage reduction but not negligible.) I mean, it's not solely MvC3, P4A has autocombo which is dumb. I think it's a "rewarding for mashing" type of deal.
The worst c.L's aren't rapid fire, though, they're non-rapid fire but +1 on block (WESKER). Rapid fire c.L usually just means an easy pushblock for me. Anyone with non-rapid fire c.L's can stagger the hits to counter pushblocking. Even Dormammu players do it, and his c.L is really negative on block (because who is going to mash attacks while blocking c.L?). And of course, Wesker is the best example of the command grab issue as well. I almost want Yipes to focus on Wesker so people will stop pretending that the character isn't one of the best in the game. It gets old damn it!

Well it's kind of like when people die with Strider, Dante requires a consistently higher execution than most other characters. Dante is basically the mould your own character, the character is only as good as the player is that is using him. Once he has an error, he's done for because of his health.
Dante is high execution, but it's not like whiffing a normal and then pushing A+S during a cinematic screen is.

Dante also still has bad matchups vs characters with faster normals. albeit his can deal with them provided he makes the breathing space he needs.
I think Dante players often get confused and think that a character that stands a decent chance against him is the same as a bad matchup...

I took out a chunk of Phoenix text because you and Dahbomb pretty much covered alot of topics, so I don't want to waste time reiterating things that have already been said.
This place is a chamber of echos - add to it!

In response to the video, I realized I never burned X-Factor on Phoenix until she came in Dark... I need to work on this. Also I changed my Chris assist back to Gunfire SPECIFICALLY to counter Phoenix for the THC shenanigans. I realized I never THCed once during our matches... This is what happens when I concentrate on one aspect of the game (throws/airthrows) and forget about everything else. (CCs, THCs, TACs)
Don't you counterpick me! >:-O

And why would you want to burn X-Factor on Phoenix before she goes Dark? I do not think that's wise.

I am going to mess with keeping Dark Phoenix in play once I earn her instead of tagging her out. I figure I can burn XF1 and kill a character guaranteed, and then Dark Hole will pin the next one while I mix my opponent up with instant overheads and such if they survive the teleport mix-up. Dark Phoenix can approach for free, she just has problems opening people up solo if they're in corners, and Dark Hole fixes that. We'll see how it goes!

Also, If you really want to know why Chris' worst matchup in the game is Magneto, I would watch the FGTVlive Archive of ShadyK vs GC Yoshi. (That just happened tonight)
I watched it, and I saw GC Yoshi dropping a lot of combos, so it doesn't count in my mind! :p

More people picking up my team!
Hey, it could be worse. You could be me where no one else in the world uses your shell, and people think it's some kind of joke.

You are on a roll with your ideas lately.
Theme tournaments are boss.

shaowebb

Are there any guys right now going to events using Felicia? Just sort of noticed she seems absent across this game through both vanilla and ultimate and she doesn't seem like a bad character.

Are there any guys right now going to events using Felicia? Just sort of noticed she seems absent across this game through both vanilla and ultimate and she doesn't seem like a bad character.

Sixfortyfive has an awesome felicia.

Hey, it could be worse. You could be me where no one else in the world uses your shell, and people think it's some kind of joke.
Well as far as I can tell nobody's been able to prove that, so I think you're fine.

Kioshen

DJHuoshen and PR Rog use her in some team configuration iirc.

This place is a chamber of echos - add to it!
That empty huh?

Here are little things that I've picked up from others and things I've learned on my own.
----------------------------------------
Double air dash after TK overdrive M
TK overdrive M, double air dash, air f.H, into Flight for air stalling
Teleport recovery frames can be canceled into Phoenix Rage for surprise attacks or easy happy birthdays. Draw back is that it can be punished by invincible start up hypers.
-----------------------------------------
As Dark Phoenix:
j.S into teleport M
-feathers protect her and also act as mix up projectiles depending on how close she fires off the j.S (F.Champ makes this look easy since he can get it down multiple times)
Any feathers in addition with teleport can nullify the push block if timed correctly for a grab which works since the opponent is still in a push block state. (recommend her being in XF or use H&H card)
j.S feathers canceled into flight to protect Dark Phoenix during flight start up
j.S can be canceled into TK shot for additional projectile nullifying help
Phoenix and Dark Phoenix can fire TK shot L 3x in flight compared to TK shot M or H. Timing is key. A mess up in flight time or input will only get you two.
In XF lvl 3 both are able to fire TK shot M and H 3x
In XF lvl 3 Dark Phoenix can fire TK shot L 3x then is able to teleport due to faster recovery from speed boost (haven't tested with Phoenix)
Can fire a Phoenix rage during free fall from naked air TK shot
TK shot H doesn't home in on targets who jump over Phoenix as she fires it or on start up
---------------------------------------
Phoenix or Dark Phoenix can link multiple Phoenix Rages with TK overdrive if the opponent is high enough from a combo or not blocking.
The Phoenix Rage usually recovers just as they land, but if they take longer to land, then you can link a TK overdrive H into another Phoenix Rage. They need to stay high enough in order for another Phoenix Rage to be able to link correctly. Use XF or a H&H card for better recovery for easy linking.

Sent Drones pickup off a grounded wolverine back throw is hilarious. Mash the assist during the throw and sentinel comes out facing the wrong way and the drones hit before the opponent falls to the ground.

Frantic

The worst c.L's aren't rapid fire, though, they're non-rapid fire but +1 on block (WESKER). Rapid fire c.L usually just means an easy pushblock for me. Anyone with non-rapid fire c.L's can stagger the hits to counter pushblocking.
Anyone can stagger their hits, though. It's just people with rapid fire cr.Ls generally mash it in case of a hit confirm instead of staggering it. And eventually, characters without rapid fire cr.Ls that aren't + or something like -2 or so on block will have to be careful with how they stagger their normals. Cap, for example, is -5 on block with his cr.L, so realistically, someone could just shove a cr.L of their own in between there and punish him.

Also, Magneto's cr.L is rapid fire and +1 on block. Why would you ever do that, Capcom?

I think Dante players often get confused and think that a character that stands a decent chance against him is the same as a bad matchup...
I think this is one of the problems with most Dante players. Instead of learning a thing called spacing to make those faster normals a non-issue, they're crying that they can't just push buttons. It's not like Wolverine doesn't make everyone's life hell when he in their face. No one can just just push buttons when Wolverine is in their face, so why is it treated like a unique case for Dante, especially when he can out-normal Wolverine with good spacing? If playing the neutral game, Dante can make Wolverine's life a living hell if you've got good awareness, but nooo, 'i can't push buttons when he's in my face :(:(:('

The other thing Dante players need to do is just accept the nerfs and learn to play around them. Instead, they're too busy crying about not being able to get one hit and kill someone anymore instead of learning his dumb neutral game + dumb reset game + retarded pressure game. Most of the Dante players seem to be executional monsters, which is why they loved him in vanilla because they could get one hit(probably a Hammer, a s.L anti-air, Lariat assist, or a teleport + assist), then do their really long and semi-difficult combo that will kill everyone, then derp around on incoming to do the same. It covered up for their lack of a neutral game the same way a lot of Zero players do it now. Now that they have to play a neutral game with Dante, they're at a loss.[/endrant]

That rant has been building up for a while. I know that it's not the case for every Dante, but there are too many fraud Dante's out there that blame the character rather than themselves and it irritates me.

Dahbomb

Quite a few characters have +1 or more on their jabs like Strider, Firebrand and Trish. Its not really a big deal what gets to me are the characters with safe launchers.

Frantic

Quite a few characters have +1 or more on their jabs like Strider, Firebrand and Trish. Its not really a big deal what gets to me are the characters with safe launchers.
Actually, Strider's are -2 on both s.L and cr.L. Trish's are +2 on both, though.

Safe launchers don't really bother me much, just because you can generally XFC them for free if you want to. The only one that bothers me is Vergil's, just because he can cancel into the 5 frame Upper Slash on block. Then if you XFC that, he can just hit you with a snapback. He really shouldn't be able to special cancel Upper Slash. >_>

Whoo, good Sent BnB with one assist! Pretty standard but I always forget how much damage the lag armor guys do.
S, jH xx flight, jLH xx unfly, jH, S, jMH xx flight, jLLMHS, A1(Stone Smite) air Rocket Punch L, jS, Rocket Punch L xx Plasma Storm

That empty huh?

Here are little things that I've picked up from others and things I've learned on my own.
Double air dash after TK overdrive M
TK overdrive M, double air dash, air f.H, into Flight for air stalling
Teleport recovery frames can be canceled into Phoenix Rage for surprise attacks or easy happy birthdays. Draw back is that it can be punished by invincible start up hypers.
-----------------------------------------
As Dark Phoenix:
j.S into teleport M
-feathers protect her and also act as mix up projectiles depending on how close she fires off the j.S (F.Champ makes this look easy since he can get it down multiple times)
Any feathers in addition with teleport can nullify the push block if timed correctly for a grab which works since the opponent is still in a push block state. (recommend her being in XF or use H&H card)
j.S feathers canceled into flight to protect Dark Phoenix during flight start up
j.S can be canceled into TK shot for additional projectile nullifying help
Phoenix and Dark Phoenix can fire TK shot L 3x in flight compared to TK shot M or H. Timing is key. A mess up in flight time or input will only get you two.
In XF lvl 3 both are able to fire TK shot M and H 3x
In XF lvl 3 Dark Phoenix can fire TK shot L 3x then is able to teleport due to faster recovery from speed boost (haven't tested with Phoenix)
Can fire a Phoenix rage during free fall from naked air TK shot
TK shot H doesn't home in on targets who jump over Phoenix as she fires it or on start up
---------------------------------------
Phoenix or Dark Phoenix can link multiple Phoenix Rages with TK overdrive if the opponent is high enough from a combo or not blocking.
The Phoenix Rage usually recovers just as they land, but if they take longer to land, then you can link a TK overdrive H into another Phoenix Rage. They need to stay high enough in order for another Phoenix Rage to be able to link correctly. Use XF or a H&H card for better recovery for easy linking.
I completely forgot about the TK Overdrive M into double air dash technique. I will use that.

I would like to do feather -> teleport mix-ups, but it's really hard to space j.S just right for it. I can do it with c.M a bit, but never j.S Any thoughts on that?

All good advice, by the way.

Anyone can stagger their hits, though. It's just people with rapid fire cr.Ls generally mash it in case of a hit confirm instead of staggering it. And eventually, characters without rapid fire cr.Ls that aren't + or something like -2 or so on block will have to be careful with how they stagger their normals. Cap, for example, is -5 on block with his cr.L, so realistically, someone could just shove a cr.L of their own in between there and punish him.

Also, Magneto's cr.L is rapid fire and +1 on block. Why would you ever do that, Capcom?
Cap can still stagger the c.L to c.M to discourage people from doing that, though.

I think this is one of the problems with most Dante players. Instead of learning a thing called spacing to make those faster normals a non-issue, they're crying that they can't just push buttons. It's not like Wolverine doesn't make everyone's life hell when he in their face. No one can just just push buttons when Wolverine is in their face, so why is it treated like a unique case for Dante, especially when he can out-normal Wolverine with good spacing? If playing the neutral game, Dante can make Wolverine's life a living hell if you've got good awareness, but nooo, 'i can't push buttons when he's in my face :(:(:('

The other thing Dante players need to do is just accept the nerfs and learn to play around them. Instead, they're too busy crying about not being able to get one hit and kill someone anymore instead of learning his dumb neutral game + dumb reset game + retarded pressure game. Most of the Dante players seem to be executional monsters, which is why they loved him in vanilla because they could get one hit(probably a Hammer, a s.L anti-air, Lariat assist, or a teleport + assist), then do their really long and semi-difficult combo that will kill everyone, then derp around on incoming to do the same. It covered up for their lack of a neutral game the same way a lot of Zero players do it now. Now that they have to play a neutral game with Dante, they're at a loss.[/endrant]

That rant has been building up for a while. I know that it's not the case for every Dante, but there are too many fraud Dante's out there that blame the character rather than themselves and it irritates me.
*wears an "I'm with this guy" t-shirt*

Safe launchers are okay with me because everyone with a safe launcher has a safer blockstring that gives them even better pressure. So, if people want to scrub it out with +1 launchers, that's cool. It just means I don't have to deal with a Wesker teleport mix-up or something.

Just out of curiosity, what's the hardest thing to combo in the game that you can think of?

For me, it's Strider's 6H xx Formation B(charge), L. Counter-hit only, character specific 1-frame cancel into a 1-frame link.

Azure J

Anyone want to play? I haven't played in a while and I have a bunch of stuff I need to try out.

PREACH.

I mean, I love joking around with the cool kids every now an again when it comes to "hurr Dante, y u not Vanilla GAWD anymore", but the majority of my play time ws with Ultimate's "neutered" Dante and in recent times, I've found that no one has answers for well spaced normals and a good set of plans behind them. I understand that this is Marvel where everyone wants to "get theirs" with as low commitment as possible, but smart Dante play destroys the roster in ways you wouldn't expect and looks awesome as fuck in the process. It's also one of the reasons why I can't ever post in the SRK Tier List thread seriously. You say Dante's top 5 over there, you get a lollipop and hushed out of the room while they debate Spencer and shit for top 3. :lol

On this same tangent though, I still feel like I'm not good enough with him. I told MahvelGAF how I played gottnoskill right? He pretty much distilled my awkwardly defensive Dante down over the course of 40 or so games and broke down all my mix ups to the point that I had higher success ratings throwing out desperation Stingers and the like than I did with any of my thought out approaches. When he evaluated me, he told me something I was not expecting at all.

Apparently, I'm too sequential.

I would like to do feather -> teleport mix-ups, but it's really hard to space j.S just right for it. I can do it with c.M a bit, but never j.S Any thoughts on that?

All good advice, by the way.

F.Champ showed that it works better in XF lv3 though. He used XF lv3 and just j. S into Teleport M repeatedly while mid screen. The speed boost makes the feathers hit nicely and enough stun to keep going. Wesker couldn't move without getting hit by a feather. But I'm not sure if who ever was helping him was blocking.
I use the jS for incoming mix-ups, but timing and placement are important since it won't work against a cornered opponent and the feathers may not hit.

Azure J

Side note: So I'm trying to solidify my three teams and right now, I'm having a war with myself over what should be done with the last team.

- Viper/Dante/Strider is the main squad. These guys aren't going anywhere ever.
- Zero/Dante/Strider is the secondary. I still have a lot to learn with handling Zero, but I'm biting the bullet and going all in with this one once I feel satisfied with Team 1.
- The last team is a tossup between Dante (Jam Session)/Doom (Plasma Beam)/Strider (Vajra) or Strider (Vajra)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Dante (Jam Session)

Between the two, which one would you recommend I pick up MahvelGAF? If I pick up Doom, it's definitely going to be in order to fully utilize TACs/TAC infinites, and to have some horizontal coverage for based Dante. (Never played a team with quick left-right potential before). The Strider team is to experiment with point Strider and it's also a bit of a homage to my second longest running team in Ultimate.

Sequential?

Not right now, but maybe in an hour or two? If I can play I'll be online in Marvel (my brother is using the 360 rn).

As in, my mixups are too telegraphed with projectile - teleport being the main one to look out for. After he said that, I pretty much dropped every method I have and started trying to rush behind things or something similar.

F.Champ showed that it works better in XF lv3 though. He used XF lv3 and just j. S into Teleport M repeatedly while mid screen. The speed boost makes the feathers hit nicely and enough stun to keep going. Wesker couldn't move without getting hit by a feather. But I'm not sure if who ever was helping him was blocking.
I use the jS for incoming mix-ups, but timing and placement are important since it won't work against a cornered opponent and the feathers may not hit.
I don't suppose you have a video so I can learn the timing? Haha.

Side note: So I'm trying to solidify my three teams and right now, I'm having a war with myself over what should be done with the last team.

- Viper/Dante/Strider is the main squad. These guys aren't going anywhere ever.
- Zero/Dante/Strider is the secondary. I still have a lot to learn with handling Zero, but I'm biting the bullet and going all in with this one once I feel satisfied with Team 1.
- The last team is a tossup between Dante (Jam Session)/Doom (Plasma Beam)/Strider (Vajra) or Strider (Vajra)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Dante (Jam Session)

Between the two, which one would you recommend I pick up MahvelGAF? If I pick up Doom, it's definitely going to be in order to fully utilize TACs/TAC infinites, and to have some horizontal coverage for based Dante. (Never played a team with quick left-right potential before). The Strider team is to experiment with point Strider and it's also a bit of a homage to my second longest running team in Ultimate.
IMO the point Strider team. It will do wonders for your anchor Strider. Making a point Morrigan team is one of the things that really helped me get better with her, because we all never get enough practice with our anchors.

Why isn't everyone playing Strider on point? He's so goooooooooooooooooooooooooood. I've pretty much gotten over all my Strider/X-23 character discomfort, I just need to play a lot now.

Seriously, Strider is a god damn lunatic. Once you get him going with assists, it's ggs. I've been watching a lot of chou lately and changing the way I play, and it just makes more sense. I don't even want to play my other teams right now. Strider/X-23/Magneto is the best team I've ever made. I feel like I have Dark Phoenix from the get go.

Why isn't everyone playing Strider on point? He's so goooooooooooooooooooooooooood. I've pretty much gotten over all my Strider/X-23 character discomfort, I just need to play a lot now.

Seriously, Strider is a god damn lunatic. Once you get him going with assists, it's ggs. I've been watching a lot of chou lately and changing the way I play, and it just makes more sense. I don't even want to play my other teams right now. Strider/X-23/Magneto is the best team I've ever made. I feel like I have Dark Phoenix from the get go.
Possibly of interest to you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqsxKL68ufQ

And people don't play Strider on point because he takes work.

How's your X-23 infinite coming?

Azure J

If it's any consolation, I've been learning my current team with different configurations and Strider/Dante (Jam Session) is just as batshit as Dante/Strider imo. This with the Wall Cling assist call stuff = holy fuck how do I block this ni--a, er, ninja?

Edit: Actually, Strider (Vajra)/Doom (Plasma Beam)/Dante (Jam Session)! I get the point Strider practice, TAC to Doom KO combo practice, still have Dante, Doom & Strider and when I'm comfortable enough, I can reverse the order as intended initially! I can also work on my anchor Dante game.

finally got the flames of faltine loop. Its pretty easy and feel dumb for not getting it sooner.

magnetic blast motion was the answer to my fof problems

Possibly of interest to you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqsxKL68ufQ

And people don't play Strider on point because he takes work.

How's your X-23 infinite coming?
I do Magneto infinites, not X-23. I use her assist in combos and cut them short with Strider to skip the TAC over to Magneto. I'd rather have her second because Magneto backed by ankle slicer is doodoo and it gives me a second chance to get a TAC if Strider dies.

I can do all of Magneto's midscreen infinites but I haven't learned the corner versions yet. I can guarantee Dirt nap on incoming and don't need x-factor or extra meter to kill after I land it anymore. Still trying to figure out some meter gain issues, there are some finnicky things going on with Dirt Nap. and spacing.

If it's any consolation, I've been learning my current team with different configurations and Strider/Dante (Jam Session) is just as batshit as Dante/Strider imo. This with the Wall Cling assist call stuff = holy fuck how do I block this ni--a, er, ninja?

Edit: Actually, Strider (Vajra)/Doom (Plasma Beam)/Dante (Jam Session)! I get the point Strider practice, TAC to Doom KO combo practice, still have Dante, Doom & Strider and when I'm comfortable enough, I can reverse the order as intended initially! I can also work on my anchor Dante game.

That's cool, but I feel like it's not nuts enough yet.

Dahbomb

Strider doesn't kill in one touch and requires other characters to kill for him via TACs. Too much work, not enough profit. Of course if someone plays perfect with him he can wreck a lot of top tiers but if someone was prefect they would play Viper or Phoenix.

Real talk but GBs team would get blown up in a tournament. Too many chances to fuck up or leave the other character alive.

I would try a XXX/X23/Strider team though. X23 can use Vajra sort of like Vergil uses it, pop XF after confirming Ankle Slice off of Vajra. Use the meter earned with XF2 to Dirt Nap oncoming character.

Azure J

I will never believe that Ouroboros is a good hyper.

Orbs re exceptional for knockdown setups (if a blasted orb doesn't npop them out of a Gram L setup) and the derp teleport mixups, The real secret weapon the super allows though is forcing someone else to block for the duration of the super.

I will never believe that Ouroboros is a good hyper.
Do you think Dark Phoenix is a good hyper? Because Ouroboros is basically a temporary superior Dark Phoenix form for 2 bars less.

I get that last part, but I'm still in the Viscant-confused-about-Nova stage when it comes to Ouroboros. Knockdown, fine, but I don't get how people get opened up once they start blocking the orbs. I see it happen all the time. I definitely think Strider with a beam assist is way harder to block than ouroboros. Or of course, ankle slicer :)
How on earth are you going to open people up with Ankle Slicer?

Orbs re exceptional for knockdown setups (if a blasted orb doesn't npop them out of a Gram L setup) and the derp teleport mixups, The real secret weapon the super allows though is forcing someone else to block for the duration of the super.

I get that last part, but I'm still in the Viscant-confused-about-Nova stage when it comes to Ouroboros. Knockdown, fine, but I don't get how people get opened up once they start blocking the orbs. I see it happen all the time. I definitely think Strider with a beam assist is way harder to block than ouroboros. Or of course, ankle slicer :)

Frantic

Apparently, I'm too sequential.
That's actually a good way to describe your playstyle, and it's something I couldn't quite figure out the right word for it. You have a very linear gameplan, and rarely if ever deviate from it. You also need to learn to play around the other person's gameplan, because as it is you continue to play your gameplan regardless of the other person's, and that just doesn't work all the time. A lot of times you'll need to make up a gameplan as you go. It's easier said than done, but you'll learn to do it eventually.

Stagger your lights to get the orbs to become an imperfect blockstring, teleport/wall-cling, profit. If you're in their face, go high then fuzzy guard the shit out of them with j.Ls and you might even cross them up if they're midscreen and not mashing pushblock. If they're mashing pushblock, stagger your strings some more. If you're in their face and they're just blocking, you can also backwards wave/plinkdash and then teleport. The wave/plinkdash will send out orbs that are imperfect blockstrings, perfect for crossups. If you get a hit, Teleport/wall-cling when they're still on the ground go for an instant and safe reset. Stuff like that. You basically have free reign to do whatever you want when Orbs are out. Go ham.

Azure J

With regards to orbs, you stagger the distribution to make gaps and capitalize once close by. One of the simpliest yet most devious things around is dashing with a double forward or back input with Oroborus satellites on since that dash doesn't trigger any shots and as such, don't trigger pushblock or regular blocking animations.

That's actually a good way to describe your playstyle, and it's something I couldn't quite figure out the right word for it. You have a very linear gameplan, and rarely if ever deviate from it. You also need to learn to play around the other person's gameplan, because as it is you continue to play your gameplan regardless of the other person's, and that just doesn't work all the time. A lot of times you'll need to make up a gameplan as you go. It's easier said than done, but you'll learn to do it eventually.

Truth be told, that was one thing I was trying not to be, but hearing it from someone else really drove it home. I just need to play a shit ton more and see what comes of it.

Stagger your lights to get the orbs to become an imperfect blockstring, teleport/wall-cling, profit. If you're in their face, go high then fuzzy guard the shit out of them with j.Ls and you might even cross them up if they're midscreen and not mashing pushblock. If they're mashing pushblock, stagger your strings some more. If you're in their face and they're just blocking, you can also backwards wave/plinkdash and then teleport. The wave/plinkdash will send out orbs that are imperfect blockstrings, perfect for crossups. If you get a hit, Teleport/wall-cling when they're still on the ground go for an instant and safe reset. Stuff like that. You basically have free reign to do whatever you want when Orbs are out. Go ham.

You know what my favorite newish setup is? Before activating Orbs, knock them down then dash back a bit and activate. If done right, with one dash and a teleport, you cover every tech possible.

Also, you said Wall Cling and I feel like I need to look into making an Orbs incoming mixup with Wall Cling - shoot Orbs - Wall Switch.

Are there good ways to capiralize off of wall cling mixups with ouroboros? That's the only way I can really imagine hitting people a lot. You can't even cross up with teleports if they're good at pushblocking.

You know what my favorite newish setup is? Before activating Orbs, knock them down then dash back a bit and activate. If done right, with one dash and a teleport, you cover every tech possible.

Couldn't you just do bird bomb, jaguar? I know it works for air techs. I just sjc the bird bomb off a launcher for the reset.

Azure J

Couldn't you just do bird bomb, jaguar? I know it works for air techs. I just sjc the bird bomb off a launcher for the reset.

Orbs can add a second layer to all that if they aren't push blocking. And hi-5 for using the launcher - Bird Bomb stuff.

Edit: This reminds me, does Bird Bomb cause soft knockdown?

There's a glitch with Gravity Squeeze. If you do it midscreen, you're stuck at the edge of the screen and can't dash as early as you normally would. The animation comes out but Magneto doesn't move. This makes certain combos that would work in the corner impossible. I should be able to dash and use attraction with ankle slicer to get a full combo, but I can't.

Edit: This reminds me, does Bird Bomb cause soft knockdown?
Not sure, but it definitely causes a ton of hitstun.

Top Bottom