• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

There's a glitch with Gravity Squeeze. If you do it midscreen, you're stuck at the edge of the screen and can't dash as early as you normally would. The animation comes out but Magneto doesn't move. This makes certain combos that would work in the corner impossible. I should be able to dash and use attraction with ankle slicer to get a full combo, but I can't.

Just curious, did you come to this conclusion practicing on a Zero? There's a similar glitch where if he's KO'd too far off from yourself, you can't dash forward, teleport or any sort of movement to get position for an incoming mixup. Something about Zero's death animation triggers this glitch.

Just curious, did you come to this conclusion practicing on a Zero? There's a similar glitch where if he's KO'd too far off from yourself, you can't dash forward, teleport or any sort of movement to get position for an incoming mixup. Something about Zero's death animation triggers this glitch.

no, I trieda few characters of different sizes and it always happened. It really sucks, because that takes away a major option that really should work. I'd be able to punish a hard drive from full screen to death from a disruptor.

edit: In other news, I can kill thor with Magneto off a throw reset for no meter now

This Shuma is worse than MVC2 Shuma :-(

edit: I just realized that a decade later and I'm playing the same team. I used Ice Man/Shuma Gorath/Captain Commando in MVC2, and would chip people out until I got the bar for Chaos Dimension. For 5 bars you could kill a character guaranteed. Sound Familiar?

It didn't work that well

Zissou

I will never believe that Ouroboros is a good hyper.

Orbs in xfactor is great. I love it as an anti-comeback mechanic if you're stocked with meter- wait for them to commit to x-factor and DHCing into orbs means they lose most of their comeback potential. For non-anchor/non-xf Strider, I can't see hardly ever using it.

I'll never understand a character like Shuma. He's not popular with any Marvel fans and even VS fans but Capcom really likes him for some reason and yet he is still awful. If he is such a dev favorite why does play so similar to his MvC2 self and seems to have less personality.

I'll never understand a character like Shuma. He's not popular with any Marvel fans and even VS fans but Capcom really likes him for some reason and yet he is still awful. If he is such a dev favorite why does play so similar to his MvC2 self and seems to have less personality.
He has a solid following among VS fans. GB and I are Shuma-Gorath fans. I think he's just a dev favorite aesthetically. Japan loves its tentacle monsters. He plays similar to his MvC2 self for the same reason every other MvC2 veteran does: they don't want to upset fans of the character. Of course, they don't get that in Shuma-Gorath's case everyone would love to see a moveset redesign.

Best Shuma in Central California
Do you have a beard, GB?

Of all the characters to fight for, why Shuma? If they were able to get Shuma they could've gotten Gambit or whoever else people were clamoring for.
Shuma-Gorath was apparently the first character they argued for. One can imagine that after that, Marvel decided to be more aggressive with its character choices. Capcom could only get so many unpopular characters in the game. And Gambit is not a Capcom favorite. Shuma-Gorath is.

Zissou

Of all the characters to fight for, why Shuma? If they were able to get Shuma they could've gotten Gambit or whoever else people were clamoring for.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shuma had to be bad. Concessions had to be made to get him into the game. I'm sure Marvel was like "OKAY FINE you guys can have Shuma, just he can't be any good. Take that you vocal bastards."

Zissou

The qcb one? I think it always causes a soft knockdown, so if you DHC out of while they're really high in the air, they fall foreeeeeeever

strange team that chrisis is using. do you think it works? didn't realize you could dhc into astral vision after burning time or whatever that super is called and follow it up
You should check my Soul Drain thread on SRK, then! It's nowhere near complete, but I'm close to having a way for every character in the game to let Morrigan get Soul Drain off mid-combo.

I'm skeptical of Chrisis' team. Morrigan/Dante is a good pairing, but I feel like C. Viper is a team killer, and her teams should be structured in a way similar to how Firebrand teams should be structured: around her. Dark Harmonizer is cool, but it's not great. There aren't many teams that C. Viper can just Seismo Spam and call Dark Harmonizer against, and they'd be so poorly constructed that it wouldn't be needed anyway.

Japan with their tentacles fetish. The only explanation for them going for that character.
The sneak peak images even had him grabbing Jill. I really wish we could know how well that DLC sold...

Someone posted this on GFAQs. Merry Christmas (or whatever you celebrate) Marvel-GAF:
Every Fighter from both worlds loved Christmas a lot
But the egotistical supervillain from Capcom DID NOT!

Wesker hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be that his trenchcoat was on too tight.
It could be, perhaps, that his shades let in too much light.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his hyper meter was two sizes too small.

But,
Whatever the reason,
His coat or his shades,
He stood there on Christmas Eve, wishing them an early grave,
Staring down from his cave with a sour,evil frown
At the lower tier fighters below in their town.
For he knew every fighter down in MvC-ville beneath
Was busy now, hanging a mistleoe wreath.

"And they're hanging their stockings!" he snarled with a sneer.
"Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"
Then he growled, with his fingers nervously drumming,
"I MUST find a way to keep Christmas from coming!"
For, tomorrow, he knew...

...All the fighting girls and boys
Would wake up bright and early. They'd rush for their toys!
Like deadpool's stupid voice! Oh, the noise! Oh, the noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!
And Akuma's english dub! The NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!

Some guns for Chris, Deadpool, and Task,
Iron Fist would also get a new mask,
For Sentinel would get some new drones
And for Phoenix Wright, a new Cell Phone.

And THEN
They'd do something and he'd want to stop it!
Every fighter down in MvC-ville, from Nemesis to tiny Rocket ,
Would stand close together, with Christmas bells ringing.
They'd stand hand-in-hand. And they would start singing!

They'd sing! And they'd sing!
AND they'd SING! SING! SING! SING!
And the more the god tier thought of the MvC-sing
The more the maniac thought, "I must stop this whole thing!
"Why since the first RE I've put up with it now!
I MUST stop Christmas from coming!
...But HOW?"

Then he got an idea!
An awful idea!
WESKER
GOT A WONDERFUL, AWFUL IDEA!

"I know just what to do!" Wesker laughed in his throat.
And he made a quick Santy Claus hat and another trenchcoat.
And he chuckled, and clucked, "What a great evil trick!
"With this coat and this hat, I'll look just like Saint Nick!"

"All I need is a reindeer..."
Wesker looked around.
But since reindeer were used in his experiments,
there were none to be found.
Did that stop the old criminal...?
No! Wesker simply said,
"If I can't find a reindeer, I'll make one instead!"
So he captured Amaterasu. Then he took some red thread
And he tied a big horn on top of her head.

THEN
He loaded some bags
Which looked kind of modest
On a ramshakle sleigh
And he hitched up the old goddess

Then Wesker said, "Giddyap!"
And the sleigh started down
Toward the homes where the fighters
Lay knocked out in their town.

All their windows were dark. Quiet snow filled the air.
All the fighters were all Lost in Nightmares without care
When he came to the first house in the square.
"This is stop number one," Wesker Claus hissed
And he climbed to the roof, empty bags in his fist.

Then he slid down the chimney. It was thin as a rod.
But if Santa could do it, then so could the self proclaimed God.
He got stuck only once, for a moment or two.
Then he stuck his head out of the fireplace flue
Where the Avengers stockings all hung in a row.
"These stockings," he grinned, "are the first things to go!"

Then he teleported around, with a smile most unpleasant,
Around the whole room, and he took every present!
Metal Shields! And hammers! Metal suits! Bows!
Cameras! Motorbikes! Law books! And arrows!
And he stuffed them in bags. Then Wesker, very nimbly,
Stuffed all the bags, one by one, up the chimney!

Then he stuffed all the gifts up the chimney with glee.
"And NOW!" grinned the Grinch, "I will shoot down the tree!"

And Wesker grabbed his gun, and he started to blast,
When he heard a loud sound and was taken aghast.
He turned around fast, and he saw a jiang-shi!
It was little Hsien-Ko, who was looking a bit antsy.

Wesker had been caught by this little low tier
Who'd got out of bed for a cup of Odin's beer.
She stared at Wesker and said, "Santy Claus, why,
"Why are you shooting our Christmas tree? WHY?"

But, you know, that Wesker was so smart and so slick
He thought up a lie, and he thought it up quick!
"Why, my sweet little ghost," the fake Santy Claus used his imagination,
This tree was stopping me from acheiving global saturation.

And he fib fooled the ghost. Then he patted her head
And he spiked her drink and he sent her to bed.
And when Hsien-ko went to bed with her cup,
HE went to the chimney and shot the tree up!

Then the last thing he took
Was the log for their fire.
Then he went up the chimney himself, the old liar.
On their walls he left nothing but hooks, and some wire.

And the one speck of food
The he left in the house
Was a crumb that was even too small for a mouse.

Then
He did the same thing
To the other fighters houses

Leaving crumbs
Much too small
For even Arthur's small mouses!

It was quarter past dawn...
All the fighters, still a-bed
All the warriors, still a-snooze
When he packed up his sled,
Packed it up with their presents! The ribbons! The wrappings!
The guns! And the swords! The chains! Rocket's trappings!

Three thousand feet up! Up the side of Metro City,
He rode to the tiptop to dump it!
"I am the only God!" he was evilly humming.
"They're finding out now that no Christmas is coming!
"They're just waking up! I know just what they'll do!
"Their mouths will hang open a minute or two
"The all the fighters down in MvC-ville will all cry BOO-HOO!"

"That's a noise," grinned the villain,
"That I simply must hear!"
So he paused. And Albert Wesker put a hand to his ear.
And he did hear a sound rising over the snow.
It started in low. Then it started to grow...

But the sound wasn't sad!
Why, this sound sounded merry!
It couldn't be so!
But it WAS merry! VERY!

Every fighter down in MvC-ville, the tall and the small,
Was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming!
IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!

And Wesker, with his black boots in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore.
Then Wesker thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

And what happened then...?
Well...in MvC-ville they say
That the egomaniac's hyper bar
Grew three sizes that day!
And the minute he had some more meter he didn't feel spite
And he Phantom Danced through the bright morning light
And he brought back the weapons! And even the special moves
And he...

...HE HIMSELF...!
Wesker shared his buffs to help the low tiers improve!

Dahbomb

OMG how does Hsienko fight Virgil? This has to be the worst match up in gaming history.
This does not just apply to Vergil but against most other characters in the game as well:

1) Turn on Super armor hyper

2) Tag out

3) Use the assist button

4) Profit

Or I have a better suggestion.

1) Go back to character select.

2) Don't pick Hsien Ko.

3) Profit.

You're going to have to zone Vergil. I recommend pairing Hsien-ko with an assist that can cover teleports, like Plasma Beam, Mystic Ray, or Hidden Missiles, which are also great assists for her in general and are characters that make good use of armored Senpu Bu.

Your other assist needs to be a good anchor who can support your other two characters and make use of Senpu Bu.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cross-posting from FGW thread:

A fascinating look at EA's cancelled Marvel-licensed fighting game, before Capcom acquired the Marvel license for MvC3.

18_marvelfighter02.jpg

More images and info after the jump.

That Hulk portrait is like UMvC3 Sentinel and Dr. Strange combined in terms of badness. Captain America looks like a scrawny 50 year old man.

Terrible trash, just like everything else EA makes.

If we ever do a pre-release burn segment again, I found a quote from scytheavatar on GFAQs pre-UMvC3 release:
Some have receive health nerfs. Wesker certainly has Zero-Ammy tier of health, which is stupid. I have a feeling Wesker is going to be low tier in UMvC3, more so than Wolverine or Phoenix.

Zissou

scytheavatar and DR2K- even they don't know that they're trolling.

We should have good troll marvel GAF (Panda and Beef) vs. evil troll marvel GAF (scytheavatar and DR2K)

mr. puppy

Banned
You should check my Soul Drain thread on SRK, then! It's nowhere near complete, but I'm close to having a way for every character in the game to let Morrigan get Soul Drain off mid-combo.

I'm skeptical of Chrisis' team. Morrigan/Dante is a good pairing, but I feel like C. Viper is a team killer, and her teams should be structured in a way similar to how Firebrand teams should be structured: around her. Dark Harmonizer is cool, but it's not great. There aren't many teams that C. Viper can just Seismo Spam and call Dark Harmonizer against, and they'd be so poorly constructed that it wouldn't be needed anyway.

Yeah I've been trying Mags/Morrigan/Dante and I just took a look at that thread which really had some great stuff. I tried Storm over Morrigan for that team but there is just about no reason to not use Morrigan over Storm.

Anyway, I see what you're saying about Viper but I don't really agree with what you're saying. Viper really doesn't need much more than Jam Sessions to get her work done, she really is that dumb of a character. However, it does hurt her combos some, that is for sure. With Mags I can just fly around all day and call Morrigan like Alioune does and build up a ton of meter if I'm playing against a team that strategy works well against.

scytheavatar and DR2K- even they don't know that they're trolling.

We should have good troll marvel GAF (Panda and Beef) vs. evil troll marvel GAF (scytheavatar and DR2K)
I don't even know if scytheavatar plays. He's not on either list, and I've never seen him play someone on GFAQs.

I played DR2K in Vanilla, and he was actually solid at the game. I think he moved on, though.

Yeah I've been trying Mags/Morrigan/Dante and I just took a look at that thread which really had some great stuff. I tried Storm over Morrigan for that team but there is just about no reason to not use Morrigan over Storm.

Anyway, I see what you're saying about Viper but I don't really agree with what you're saying. Viper really doesn't need much more than Jam Sessions to get her work done, she really is that dumb of a character. However, it does hurt her combos some, that is for sure. With Mags I can just fly around all day and call Morrigan like Alioune does and build up a ton of meter if I'm playing against a team that strategy works well against.
When MarlinPie plays, the beam assist does a lot of work for C. Viper. She has crappy normals, it's not like she gets in and opens people up for free.

Storm and Morrigan are different kinds of characters. The former is about punishing, the second is about lockdown.

mr. puppy

Banned
When MarlinPie plays, the beam assist does a lot of work for C. Viper. She has crappy normals, it's not like she gets in and opens people up for free.

Storm and Morrigan are different kinds of characters. The former is about punishing, the second is about lockdown.

Well.....Marlinpie is not a good viper. Marlinpie is a good player, but that guy just holds forward, throws out beam, and goes from there. He isn't playing the character like the wall of shitspam from hell that she really can be.

As for storm/morrigan, I feel like they are a lot closer than you make them out to be, especially with the resources they need to blow to get anything off of an air throw.

scytheavatar always pops up out of nowhere with some intense argument, it's great. hahaha

now hold on there, iron man may have used his red armor in the movies but it's well known that favreau wanted to use the hulkbuster armor. downey himself said it during comic-con and also mentioned iron man buffs were coming.

I can't take DR2K seriously after that Vita thread.

Is DR2K short for Doctor 2000?
What happened in the Vita thread?

Well.....Marlinpie is not a good viper. Marlinpie is a good player, but that guy just holds forward, throws out beam, and goes from there. He isn't playing the character like the wall of shitspam from hell that she really can be.

As for storm/morrigan, I feel like they are a lot closer than you make them out to be, especially with the resources they need to blow to get anything off of an air throw.
Hmm? Storm gets combos off of air throws. Storm also has a ground throw, which fundamentally changes her gameplan. Who is a good C. Viper player?

mr. puppy

Banned
Hmm? Storm gets combos off of air throws. Storm also has a ground throw, which fundamentally changes her gameplan. Who is a good C. Viper player?

storm gets combos off of whirlwind if she gets it to hit, and fanatiq and justin can't even do that consistently.

there really isn't a good top level viper right now, but forward, chrisis, and drew grimey in some form or another all play completely different vipers.

storm gets combos off of whirlwind if she gets it to hit, and fanatiq and justin can't even do that consistently.

there really isn't a good top level viper right now, but forward, chrisis, and drew grimey in some form or another all play completely different vipers.
I don't know why they can't do it consistently, since I can. Maybe they're too busy playing other games?

mr. puppy

Banned
oh shit btw KBeast makes more Viper tech than anybody

I don't know why they can't do it consistently, since I can. Maybe they're too busy playing other games?

you can do it perfectly, every time, off of an air throw of any height from any point on the screen? you can't even take the same approach for different positions its really not as easy as you make it out to be.

you can do it perfectly, every time, off of an air throw of any height from any point on the screen? you can't even take the same approach for different positions its really not as easy as you make it out to be.
Just messed around with it in training mode a few times and it didn't strike me as particularly difficult.

Consistently in training mode is a vastly different thing from consistently in high-level tournament matches.
I feel execution loss from tournament pressure is roughly equal to execution loss from not using the character at all, and having worse execution in general.

Zissou

Some combos are weirdly opposite though, like the She-hulk combofiend relaunch combo in vanilla- I could do it in real matches pretty consistently but it was super hit-or-miss in training mode for me.

smurfx

get some go again
my morrigan fighting strategies have definitely been getting better. still hate getting touched by her since she has all day to combo.

Top Bottom