• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's not even really debateable if UMvC3 is the best or not, 2 is a fucking mess and the rest have some huge flaws and issues. The second best to me would probably be XvsSF

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Dahbomb

Felicia/Vergil/Strider is a top tier team. I don't care what anyone says.

Felicia doesn't get much play because she is lackluster in a Hidden Missiles environment. Such is the case for many characters.

Fuck hidden missiles- I say this as a Doom player. It's dumb and reduces the diversity of the game.
Hidden Missiles is fantastic with a few slight alterations. The biggest problem is a lack of anti-air assists in this game. There are a total of 4 non-crap options to choose from in a 50 member cast. Plus it also pins, combo breaks, etc.

If anything, the game needs more Hidden Missile-like assists. Right now there are only two "super BS but needs to be protected" assists in the game, and we need more.

Zissou

Hidden Missiles is fantastic with a few slight alterations. The biggest problem is a lack of anti-air assists in this game. There are a total of 4 non-crap options to choose from in a 50 member cast. Plus it also pins, combo breaks, etc.

If anything, the game needs more Hidden Missile-like assists. Right now there are only two "super BS but needs to be protected" assists in the game, and we need more.

Isn't it more that few characters have special moves that would translate to solid anti-air assists? I guess they could make stuff up Frank shopping cart-style.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Imagine how much shuma would be played if he wasn't ass for his assist lol.

Well he's not pure ass but his combos take way too much effort and he needs more mobility and well mystic smash should not be throwable from the distance it is.

What's the 4th good anti air assist? Off the top of my head I got Shuma/Doom/Taskmaster

Took the Zero/Nova/Strider team for its first test against offline opponents. It was a relative huge success, I mean, I was actually winning SETS, that usually doesn't happen. Matches were closer than usual, until a guy with Magneto/Vergil/Wesker came in and then I never got another win all day. Still, the guy had like a 30+ win streak at the end of the day, so yeah...

Does anyone want to play? I'm still in a Marvel high :T

Solune

Took the Zero/Nova/Strider team for its first test against offline opponents. It was a relative huge success, I mean, I was actually winning SETS, that usually doesn't happen. Matches were closer than usual, until a guy with Magneto/Vergil/Wesker came in and then I never got another win all day. Still, the guy had like a 30+ win streak at the end of the day, so yeah...

Glad to hear it went well =3. I'd play but I'm PSN.

RE: Felicia, I'd use her but it's hard enough as it is for me to combine 3 characters and make sure they are completely functional together.

Been taking a few teams out on test runs. GC Yoshi's team, Zero/Chris/Dante (instead of starting Chris) and Vergil/Magneto/Morrigan and Vergil/Magneto/Nova.

Marz

Well he's not pure ass but his combos take way too much effort and he needs more mobility and well mystic smash should not be throwable from the distance it is.

What's the 4th good anti air assist? Off the top of my head I got Shuma/Doom/Taskmaster

Jam Session?

Isn't it more that few characters have special moves that would translate to solid anti-air assists? I guess they could make stuff up Frank shopping cart-style.
Yup! Attacks that could be great anti-air assists:
Purification (Tracking)
Typhoon (Tracking)
Hawkeye Attacks (a few)
Energy Javelin
Dagger of Denak L
Photon Shot (lolDoom)
TK Shot H
TK Trap L
Meteor Smash (Tracking)
Crossbow (Gold Armor upgrade)
Various Dante crap
Voomerang (Charged)
Phoenix Wright Evidence usage (potential)

I miss the beta attraction. Morrigan matchup would be so much easier if I could gravitate her with impunity.
QQ!

Agreed on all accounts. Really, if you just remove charge inputs I would consider using him. If you think Taskmaster/Shuma-Gorath is good, you should try Morrigan/Shuma-Gorath.

And it's actually 5 AA assists. I forgot about Shuma-Gorath, haha.

Jam Session
Hidden Missiles
Vajra
Mystic Ray
Hulk Gamma Charge AA

I suppose Aim Master H could be #6, though. Especially after experiencing its pain in our matches. I suppose I was going more for "potentially hits anywhere", in which case I could get rid of Hulk's assist and just list the first four.

I've been on a Marvel high for almost 2 years.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I suppose Aim Master H could be #6, though. Especially after experiencing its pain in our matches. I suppose I was going more for "potentially hits anywhere", in which case I could get rid of Hulk's assist and just list the first four.

Well if you dump hulk's then you kinda have to dump jam session

Dahbomb

Energy Javelin would be too good if it was an assist as it is in the current form. It's basically what pre-UMVC3 Vajra was.

I feel there aren't enough assists that protect all around the opponent or behind them. Best ones are of course Hidden Missiles (because it only does everything), Repulsar Blast, Doom Rocks and Lariat.

Skrull has a couple of great assists he can have. Aside from Meteor Smash he can also have Tenderizer L for a Cold Shot like lock down assist that also OTGs. Also imagine if he had anti-air command grab as well. /Kreygasm

Energy Javelin would be too good if it was an assist as it is in the current form. It's basically what pre-UMVC3 Vajra was.

I feel there aren't enough assists that protect all around the opponent or behind them. Best ones are of course Hidden Missiles (because it only does everything), Repulsar Blast, Doom Rocks and Lariat.

Skrull has a couple of great assists he can have. Aside from Meteor Smash he can also have Tenderizer L for a Cold Shot like lock down assist that also OTGs. Also imagine if he had anti-air command grab as well. /Kreygasm
Command grab assists would be awesome but would also open up a whole new list of glitches I imagine. Agreed on Tenderizer L, though.

Agreed on the need for more "protect behind you" assists. It would be a great way to discourage teleport mix-ups without establishing screen control first.

I think Energy Javelin would be fine. Its tracking is really bad, and I seem to never get hit by it normally and I'm not even trying to avoid it. It also disappears if Nova gets hit and he has to sit there throwing it out onto the screen. Vajra has excellent tracking and Strider is barely vulnerable during the assist, which is a big part of what makes it a pain in the ass to deal with.

Quick Nova question, is there a better solo 1 bar corner combo with him than

jH, sH, S, jH xx qcb+L, air dash down, jH, sH, S, jH xx qcb+L, air dash down, jH, sH xx super?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
MVC2 will always be the best Marvel. The god like roster alone makes it a superior versus game.

What the hell are you even talking about the game has at most 9 characters

Cable
Storm
Sent
Magneto
Psylock
Doom
Strider
Spiral
Cyclops

Most of the characters got shit on in the transition to 4 buttons and the 1 press = light 2 = medium. That fucked over some characters REALLY FUCKING BADLY *like rogue lol*

Commando, Tron, blackheart, and even megaman/rouge ( with Tron assist is viable.)

You also forgot iron man. And ken wasn't that bad either. Justin almost beat dark prince with ruby, ken, and jill.

Essentially bottom tier Spider-Man/Venom means MvC2 is worthless :3 Still a good "game" that was forged by players from an abomination imo. Is what it is. Fun to watch Sent dance though. And MvC2 Stark is piff. Add some "Livin La Vida Loca" and you've got some entertaining shit.

UMvC3 is undoubtedly the best one if we're talking Marvel. A tweaked TvC:UAS could maybe overtake it (wtf-Zero and wtf-PTX hold it back). MvC1 is almost the best based on music alone.

Visuals is what holds Felicia back, really. She can ToD if you make the right team. See SixFortyFive (best Felicia) and DJ Huoshen. She is stupid, stupid good and possibly the best full-rusher in the game. You do have to think a bit with her, which gives extra points to Logan in that regard.

Wait, assists count as characters?
They get played 50%+ of the time, so it counts!

I would pay $50 right now to have MvC2 Jill replace MvC3 Jill. Not even joking.
Damn Beef, those are strong words coming from you.

Commando, Tron, blackheart, and even megaman/rouge ( with Tron assist is viable.)

You also forgot iron man. And ken wasn't that bad either. Justin almost beat dark prince with ruby, ken, and jill.
Yeah, but even a low tier UMvC3 character walks all over a top tier MvC2 character. MvC2 Magneto couldn't even touch Phoenix Wright in this game.

Azure J

Dante/Felicia/Strider is the best Felicia team. Especially if Dante's on Weasel Shot. Fuck ToDs, hold all these disgustingly bat shit insane mix ups. Hidden Missiles, Zero, and Vergil pretty much make it a tough stage for her to dance on though.

Ifcyipes: dante will never win another major again
Ifcyipes: quote me on that

Duh, no one's gonna learn him when 123-swords 4 me is one joystick tap upward on the character slots and rewards you for day 1 play. :p

I still don't know much about MVC2 or VS games mechanically outside of UMVC3, but it's been a pretty great experience and one I'm happy to be a part of in my own little way. Still feel like it was cut off at the ankles though thanks to company politics.

Dante probably won't, but you never know about Jam Session!

But seriously, Dante can't win a major if no one plays him.

Pretty much this. Dante can totally win a another major as long as he not doing the heavy work but rather a character that just benefiting off jam session. Could be a Zero, or could be a character like Spencer/Frank/Magnus etc....

Yeah, it's much more likely for Jam Session to be what wins a major rather than Dante himself, as strong as he may be.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this thing that happened during today's matches that I just felt I had to share. It was my Strider vs a Magneto, and Magneto did a full screen shockwave super, and I did Vajra both to punish and because I couldn't afford to block it. What did the other guy do? He X-factored and dashed along with the shockwave so that the tracking properties of Vajra would get myself killed...I couldn't say anything other than God. Damn.

Solune

What the hell are you even talking about the game has at most 9 characters

Cable
Storm
Sent
Magneto
Psylock
Doom
Strider
Spiral
Cyclops

Most of the characters got shit on in the transition to 4 buttons and the 1 press = light 2 = medium. That fucked over some characters REALLY FUCKING BADLY *like rogue lol*
Agree but Ironman definitely needs to be on there =p. He's not MvC3 Tony Stark!
Essentially bottom tier Spider-Man/Venom means MvC2 is worthless :3 Still a good "game" that was forged by players from an abomination imo. Is what it is. Fun to watch Sent dance though. And MvC2 Stark is piff. Add some "Livin La Vida Loca" and you've got some entertaining shit.

UMvC3 is undoubtedly the best one if we're talking Marvel. A tweaked TvC:UAS could maybe overtake it (wtf-Zero and wtf-PTX hold it back). MvC1 is almost the best based on music alone.

Visuals is what holds Felicia back, really. She can ToD if you make the right team. See SixFortyFive (best Felicia) and DJ Huoshen. She is stupid, stupid good and possibly the best full-rusher in the game. You do have to think a bit with her, which gives extra points to Logan in that regard.

A proper Venom in MvC3 I would kill for, even if he was bottom tier. Just if he was a more complete character and not some clunky, semi-grappler cross breed between a slower Spider-man and worse normals.

I love MvC3 to death, I mean it's my only competitive fighting game where I train constantly still. I don't have fun in training mode as much as MvC3 in any other game at all.

Aside from her design(which I think is fine) Felicia's normals aren't as friendly as Wesker's or Wolverine's either, I mean they aren't bad, just not as friendly

Tekkaman blade was an mfer as well, I just hate those 2 more :3

You're right about the normals, Solune. Others are easier to apply. That's not to say they're awful but they aren't scissor hands ala Wesker c.M or Logan s.L.

mr. puppy

Banned
For the MVC2 vs UMVC3 debate, I kinda thing MVC2 is going to be a better game at the end of UMVC3's run.

I don't think I'm going to have as much fun in Ultimate as I did in mvc2 playing MSP. That team was a great example of 'I won b/c I'm better than you'. That game had no dark derpy bullshit, which is something that really takes fun out of the game. Yea, I know comeback factors are pretty necessary in a game like this, but it wasn't well designed.

Also,Yipes is wrong unless he is talking about point Dante, which I will definitey agree with.

Top Bottom