• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

put_mrpuppy_in_lupinko
izwDBa0UzNguK.gif

OMG I just did this combo for the first time (yes, I know launcher is not a good start for a combo):

s.S, sj.H, qcf.M, qcb.S, ADD, sj.H, qcf.M, qcb.S, j.MMH, qcf.H, qcb.S, ADD, qcf.H, qcb.S, s.S, sj.MMH, dp.M, qcf.AA

I actually did it twice in 10 tries, which is just huge for me. Next level of Morrigan play is on the way!

Total damage:
645,700 - lolMorrigan

wtf why does this marvel 2 video that is 2 days old have 5k views? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DyuUEi0Mxbc
It was posted on SRK, and they're two well known players.

Azure J

I don't count Hammer against my hate of Dante, I just hate the move. I hate Dante and Dante players because all they want to do is stylish horseshit that adds 3 seconds to their combos (and if they're lucky, 20k damage). Very rarely do I see players actually going for actual damage instead of "LOOK AT ME GO" stuff. THAT'S why I don't like Dante, because everything about his character, from his looks, personality, and playstyle, screams "hey let's worry about the match later, check out this suh-weeeeeeeeeeeeet combo I learned."

I'm shocked that Marn doesn't use Dante, since they're pretty much one and the same.

OK, I can't even lie, it was pretty much that combination of personality and OTT-ness that made me like the character in the first place, so I see your point there. I also kinda agree in that I hate the Dante at current that prioritize the flash and either don't plan ahead for when HSD decides to say hi or do the weirdest things only to get mad when a heavy bops them with something that did more than what they did at max scaling.

So weirdly enough, I agree with you overall. I can't ever hate the character though because well, style and substance > substance > style. :p

Heh, that last sentence is probably why I'm so happy I started really learning Viper too. everything she does is an optimized combo and she looks nutty as fuck during it.

COME ON - HA!HA!HA!HA!HA- *zap* You seein' things? HAAAA!

You know what I love about Dante? I have like 6-7 different combos that do about 10-40k different in damage. That diversity, I can do whatever combo I feel like. Unlike my Zero which is same old bull shit.

I think Viewtiful Joe looks like a ripoff munchkin Rider.

More of an embarrassment than a "tribute".

He didn't come off that way in his own series - the cel-shading on his original model made him look more stylized, and the fact that everything else was SD made him look more normal. I think the proportions were a little bit different, too, but I'm not really sure about that, so don't hold me to it.

Honestly, the way he looks in TvC and MvC3 is the only reason I don't use him in either game - the disconnect between how he looks now and how I remember him is too distracting for me to ignore.

mr. puppy

Banned
well i'm sitting here waiting for Tony Romo to completely suck and throw 5 ints against the Redskins who still manage to barely win the game, and I've been having fun reading a lot of Marvel 2 theory and how the game fully developed. Theres really two great article for this.

1 is by Fanatiq, where he describes why storm/sentinel/magneto/cable are the best: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...10-years-of-marvel-front-page-article.101424/

The other is a summary of the 4 types of teams (Rushdown, Zoning, Trap and DHC) which is basically a summary/better organized put together of Fanatiq/SRK's theory: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13097766&postcount=9342

If you guys are bored, take a look. But heres the breakdown of teams, and maybe you all may be able to put together the basic types of teams in Marvel 3. Read the whole article though, I cut a lot out:

Rushdown - Exactly what it says on the tin. These teams are about opening up the opponent and getting them into extremely damaging combos. Characters with high mobility, strong combos or infinites, and assists that can help start or extend combos are all strongly reccommended for these types of teams. Meter building is not an issue because landing combos will do more damage than just a simple DHC usually.

General team structure: Rushdown character/Rushdown character you can DHC into/Combo starting or extending assist.

Example: MSP (Magneto-A/Storm-A or B/Psylocke-A) -
Zoning - Another straightforward archetype. Zoning teams want to control space as much as they can and basically play the whole game like it's Super Turbo with flying robots. Assists are extremely important to defensive teams, specifically assists that can control a lot of space. Characters with fast projectiles, projectiles that cover a lot of the screen both horizontally and vertically, and powerful beam supers are important to zoning teams.

General team structure: Zoning character/Projectile assist/Anti-air assist

Example: Team Scrub (Cable-B/Sentinel-Y/Captain Commando-B)

DHC - One of the core mechanics of MvC2 is the ability to combo one character's hyper combo into one of their partner's hyper combos instantly. This process is known as the delayed hyper combo, or DHC. In MvC2, not all DHCs are created equal and there are specific teams built around the best DHCs in the game. In a DHC team, meter management is crucial, so the best DHC teams have a character who can build meter well. Ideally, this character starts the DHC, but this is not always the case. If the meter builder is one of the two characters who starts the DHC, the third character will likely be a character who can either benefit one of the two DHC characters with a strong assist, or a character who benefits from the assists of one or both of the existing characters.

General team structure: DHC starter/DHC ender/Character who can build meter or benefit the other two in some way

Example: Santhrax (Storm-A/Sentinel-Y/Captain Commando-B)

Trap - Do you like blocking? You better if your opponent is playing a trap team. Trap teams utilize blockstrings or fast projectiles to get the opponent to block a lot so that they can build meter, mix them up, or just chip them out. Like with DHCs, good traps are very specific and depend on the specific characters, which means that there isn't any general rule for making them. However, having a character who can compensate for the other characters' weaknesses, a character who can create pseudo-traps or slightly weaker versions of the main trap, or a character who can build or use meter depending on what your team needs, are generally very helpful. Some could argue that trap teams are subgenres of rushdown or zoning teams, and while I do see merit in that argument I feel that they are distinct enough that they deserve their own separate discussion.

General structure: Trap point character/Trap assist/Character who benefits the other two in some way

Example: Team Clockw0rk (Strider-B/Sentinel-Y/Dr. Doom-B)

right now I look at something like:

Zoning: Morridoom,HawkeyeDoom shells
Dark Anchors: X/X/Phoenix, X/X/Vergil
Rushdown: ZMC, Mags/Spencer/Nova point teams

Dahbomb

Vergil + Doom is the "trap" team of the game. It's a super scrubby version of Strider + Rocks especially if you have Dark Harmonizer as well.

Vergil + Doom is the "trap" team of the game. It's a super scrubby version of Strider + Rocks especially if you have Dark Harmonizer as well.
You just called ChrisG's team scrubby!

Man Dahbomb, I don't think I've ever seen this much salt from you before. And it's about your pet character, too, so it's very strange. Are you feeling bitter about how Vergil turned out? Like he's "too good"?

mr. puppy

Banned

Man Dahbomb, I don't think I've ever seen this much salt from you before. And it's about your pet character, too, so it's very strange. Are you feeling bitter about how Vergil turned out? Like he's "too good"?

He's too durp. Shitty design with no skill involved. "too good" would be zero, who at least takes execution to get to his highest potential. Vergil is just easy as hell bullshit.

Dahbomb

That particular post wasn't salt filled actually but the truth is that Vergil + missiles IS a scrubbier Strider + Doom from MVC2. It's way easier to set up in MVC3 although it's also easier to get out of. Adding in Dark Harmonizer allows you to chip out full characters practically risk free. ChrisG doesn't entirely play like that because he puts Morrigan first but the strat is there if he wishes.

As far as my opinion on how Vergil turned out... it's mixed bag. On one hand it's a very accurate depiction of the character in terms of playstyle and personality. IMO it's a more accurate representation than Dante. However, the accuracy of the translation ended up being a detriment to the game. They gave Vergil all those tools from DMC3 but they didn't balance properly. They put a "band aid" on Vergil by not allowing him to whiff cancel normals and gave him low health but that's not good enough.

I feel that they had the right idea initially of the type of character Vergil was going to be. If he was supposed to be played on point, he would rely more on mix ups/resets to build meter so that he can gain upperhand in the fight. The problem here is that Vergil's damage is too high for him to be a mix up/reset character so he is essentially a TOD character who also has teleport mix ups. Then they thought it would be a good idea to give him massive normals with excellent ground mobility but that would be balanced by no whiff cancel and no air movement. Good idea on paper but bad in reality. Vergil still has a teleport and SS to pressure characters him up plus he can easily confirm a full combo from SJ height. Essentially what you ended up having was a godlike footsie character with godly mix ups and godly damage. This is without getting into his options WITH meter where he is a different beast altogether. SS is too good and amplifies the 3 aspect of him that I mentioned. They are an auto footsie tool, an auto mix up tool and allows Vergil to do insane damage. They fucked up SS by making it too much like the games. The other 2 formations I don't have a problem with at all, they are just fine. Dark Vergil is also a major problem but that's more a problem with XF stacking with buff hypers.

So yeah I am not entirely pleased with the way he turned out although I can't imagine this is how Capcom intended him to be played.

You know what you do when Nelo Angelo turns on Spiral Swords in DMC1? You run the fuck away like you do in this game as well.

smurfx

get some go again
the waste of slots to me in this game is nemesis, firebrand, jill and shuma gorath. i'm a little iffy on trish as well. i would've rather those capcom slots been filled with more notable characters. i wish capcom had used the character from legendary wings instead of firebrand. they would play a little similar except he would obviously have more zoning.

DR2K

Banned
DR2K
Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
(Today, 09:30 AM)

marvel 3 has the biggest playable cast in the series and there really isnt any no names if you followed both companies

Marvel's additions were mostly from incredibly well known source material outside of comics, and Capcom's were mostly from fighting games and their top tier franchises.

It defeats the purpose of using the license if you're using it to promote characters no one knows.

I honestly thought they left the roster as it was to leave people hungry for a 3rd version of MVC3. Fan demand is still pretty high.

That particular post wasn't salt filled actually but the truth is that Vergil + missiles IS a scrubbier Strider + Doom from MVC2. It's way easier to set up in MVC3 although it's also easier to get out of. Adding in Dark Harmonizer allows you to chip out full characters practically risk free. ChrisG doesn't entirely play like that because he puts Morrigan first but the strat is there if he wishes.

As far as my opinion on how Vergil turned out... it's mixed bag. On one hand it's a very accurate depiction of the character in terms of playstyle and personality. IMO it's a more accurate representation than Dante. However, the accuracy of the translation ended up being a detriment to the game. They gave Vergil all those tools from DMC3 but they didn't balance properly. They put a "band aid" on Vergil by not allowing him to whiff cancel normals and gave him low health but that's not good enough.

I feel that they had the right idea initially of the type of character Vergil was going to be. If he was supposed to be played on point, he would rely more on mix ups/resets to build meter so that he can gain upperhand in the fight. The problem here is that Vergil's damage is too high for him to be a mix up/reset character so he is essentially a TOD character who also has teleport mix ups. Then they thought it would be a good idea to give him massive normals with excellent ground mobility but that would be balanced by no whiff cancel and no air movement. Good idea on paper but bad in reality. Vergil still has a teleport and SS to pressure characters him up plus he can easily confirm a full combo from SJ height. Essentially what you ended up having was a godlike footsie character with godly mix ups and godly damage. This is without getting into his options WITH meter where he is a different beast altogether. SS is too good and amplifies the 3 aspect of him that I mentioned. They are an auto footsie tool, an auto mix up tool and allows Vergil to do insane damage. They fucked up SS by making it too much like the games. The other 2 formations I don't have a problem with at all, they are just fine. Dark Vergil is also a major problem but that's more a problem with XF stacking with buff hypers.

So yeah I am not entirely pleased with the way he turned out although I can't imagine this is how Capcom intended him to be played.

You know what you do when Nelo Angelo turns on Spiral Swords in DMC1? You run the fuck away like you do in this game as well.
Entirely fair, Dahbomb.

Just pick a Missile.

BRB playing DOTA 2 which doesn't have hidden missiles.
DotA, as awesome as it is, comes with the infuriating experience of having to rely on teammates who usually do not know. And one match is like 45 minutes, so if things go poorly you need to play another to wash the salt away. DotA is possibly the best competitive game I have ever played, but I will not touch that timesink again!

Edit: Maybe I should start calling you Dahsalt. ;-)

Also, I am still waiting on Spidey to be given Spidey sense QCF+S dodge like Joe's.
He's already so hard to pin down and has a DP. :-/

I'd rather him get a counter hyper or something.

Yo I didn't know Phoenix was not popular. Nor Ghost Rider. And nice one Dahbomb.

And Marrow, Blackheart, Sentinel, and Sprial were popular characters? IDK that either.

And yeah, the original XM:COTA did the same thing MvC3/UMvC3 did. Use characters that were going to be featured in an upcoming tv show/movie to promote them.

Also, I am still waiting on Spidey to be given Spidey sense QCF+S dodge like Joe's.

mr. puppy

Banned
Entirely fair, Dahbomb.

DotA, as awesome as it is, comes with the infuriating experience of having to rely on teammates who usually do not know. And one match is like 45 minutes, so if things go poorly you need to play another to wash the salt away. DotA is possibly the best competitive game I have ever played, but I will not touch that timesink again!

dota is a lot like marvel: its a terrible single player game. you need to play that game with 2+ people to really enjoy it/excel at it.

I've always wonder why Spider Man wasn't more straight forward. I'm not asking for simple ass BBCS or anything, but he's a pretty damn popular character. I figure they would make him a lot more user friendly for the casual crowd. At competitive level he's just flying all over the place looking for that clean hit. I figure they would some how make him more like Magnus just to get more people to play him.

Frantic

It's too true to the source material.

Although, in DMC3 you could get rid of them faster with Kalina Ann/E&I swapping, right? Why can't we do that in MvC3? D:

Solune

I always say this, but I want his normals from Yamato + Force Edge as well as his Beowulf normals, but I really like the way he plays.

Also, the answer is, don't let him get them up at all

So Hidden Missiles is overpowered? So what your saying is we need a patch? PATCH! Hey there's still time left before the end of the year Capcom!

Also what's the time limit on Dahbomb's avatar bet?

Dahbomb

So Hidden Missiles is overpowered? So what your saying is we need a patch? PATCH! Hey there's still time left before the end of the year Capcom!

Also what's the time limit on Dahbomb's avatar bet?
EVO 2013.

I want to give up now and get it over with....

But I will always believe. That's what NeoGAF is for.

Dahbomb

That's what I am saying... it's too accurate to the source material.

Even in the games you could nullify some of the swords with projectile spamming (Kalina Ann was the best way because it had more power). But in the end you had to jump around a lot too to avoid the swords because the durability on your projectiles wasn't enough. The swords EVEN absorb hits of Meteor, the most powerful projectile that Dante has in any game. The swords always counted as projectiles themselves and could only be negated by other projectiles.

Durability on them is too high in UMVC3.

Wow I would've rage quit if that happened to me. I bet the guy was on pixel Vergil for quite a long time because he starts turning on DT to regain health fast.

Azure J

What the fuck is happening to the Marvel fan base man? First, this entire page of stuff (preceeded by people talking about Ranked dying a day or so back), then the person I looked up most of my Dante tech from took down all their videos because "Dante is ass" became law.

Capcom pls, we need that patch! :lol

smurfx

get some go again
What the fuck is happening to the Marvel fan base man? First, this entire page of stuff (preceeded by people talking about Ranked dying a day or so back), then the person I looked up most of my Dante tech from took down all their videos because "Dante is ass" became law.

doubt the casuals will come back to marvel if capcom only releases a patch. btw rank is dying and it gets worse every month.

Dante users can whine for all eternity for all I care. Their character is just fine.

Besides, Capcom needs this game to die. There's never going to be support for it. So if Capcom can ensure that no one cares about Marvel a year from now when Darkstalkers 4 or Fighters of Capcom releases, it's all the better for them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wow I would've rage quit if that happened to me. I bet the guy was on pixel Vergil for quite a long time because he starts turning on DT to regain health fast.

It actually wasn't a bad run at all for the guy. A mistake here or there, but then he lost it all in one Summon Sword combo when Vergil literally had a pixel of health left:

http://youtu.be/KNy2Y6cm-a8

The video always makes me smirk because I think we've all been there at some point.

Azure J

Dante users can whine for all eternity for all I care. Their character is just fine.

Besides, Capcom needs this game to die. There's never going to be support for it. So if Capcom can ensure that no one cares about Marvel a year from now when Darkstalkers 4 or Fighters of Capcom releases, it's all the better for them.

I hope you don't think I'm a whiner. I also hope Fighters of Capcom is real so bad.

Frantic

You could. But if you made one mistake...

VergilTopTierwmv.gif
That XF3 combo.

I forgot how high the damage in DMD was.

Just the usual QQ and salt. The Marvel Trademark.

Maybe I should get off my ass and make more videos. Procrastination is like a 0.5-9.5 matchup for me, though. >_> I'd rather just play and train than make videos, lol.

I've always wonder why Spider Man wasn't more straight forward. I'm not asking for simple ass BBCS or anything, but he's a pretty damn popular character. I figure they would make him a lot more user friendly for the casual crowd. At competitive level he's just flying all over the place looking for that clean hit. I figure they would some how make him more like Magnus just to get more people to play him.

I think they got the " plays like a spider" down, but lack of silly hit stun, underwhelming assists and stubby normals do him in for many people. As is, he's good but complicated and not worth it for most people when they see all those cats playing someone like Spencer. You have to dig a lot deeper than most are willing to, which is understandable. Lots of basic stuff is effective and you can spend that time powering up the more straightforward characters too.

Give him a spider sense slow down install and he becomes a nut. He's got some good wrinkles as is though, really close to being a JJ menace.

Doesn't Fingercramp have a babies rehab for X-23 up?

Thanks, I recorded her important/interesting hitboxes. They actually didn't show the Dirt Nap hitbox which kinda annoyed me since that's the most important one. (sorry about the weird paint bucket stuff, I didn't notice until I saved the file and closed out.

hitboxesidr16.png

• sL - a little shorter than I expected, but it's a 4-frame move so that's fine. I shouldn't use this unless I'm at point blank.
  • sM - this is the real jab, 2 hits and monster range, comes out in 5 frames, moves her forward and hits behind her. Good for pretty much anything.
  • cM - another solid hitbox, might be usable as a situational anti-crossup as well.
  • sH - monster hitbox, this is probably her best far anti-air. 9 frames and cancelable, it actually increases in priority in the later active frames.
  • S - godlike hitbox, but it's -9 and uncancelable so don't abuse it
  • jS - definitely her strongest air hitbox, massive priority
  • Scythes - hitbox gains priority in the stronger versions and they all startup in 5 frames, so H version is the best anti-air.
  • Talon Attack - it's gonna beat everything that isn't invincible.

Damn. s.H looks like Dormammu's c.M. And s.S :-O

I hope you don't think I'm a whiner. I also hope Fighters of Capcom is real so bad.
Naw. Whining =/= being a whiner. I sort of want Fighters of Capcom. It needs all of the following:
-A big enough budget for Niitsuma to give it 50 characters to start out with. It would be dumb as hell to go back to 38 - no way.

-The obscure and unwanted characters I want to play as (Nina!).

-All of UMvC3's mechanics aside from TACs and the glitches most people feel should be fixed.

-Fan-fucking-tastic netcode.

I'm not optimistic about any of these coming true.

I was under the impression the hit boxes for dirt nap were stand L and air L, that's what animation it is when you use it as the invisibility ends anyway. Similar range.

They can keep capcom box social if it's gonna be "pick the sword guy part 2." Or if the feature set ain't up to a very attainable par.

Top Bottom