• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

onionfrog

I was thinking of all of the teams I play and realized that- 1. I have no "main" team and 2. on each of these teams there's a character I don't like playing/ I suck with
I know this feeling. I can never just stick with one team and be comfortable with it. I always get bored and switch to something else.

probably has something to do with the long ass block stun they cause and the fact they come out pretty fast and beat almost every other beam
This is news to me. I didn't think non-beam projectiles could beat beams, except hypers of course.

Next week I need to play some people on GAF. I haven't played in weeks. I should play Thor again, I haven't used Thor in ages...

EDIT: Gamefaqs topic with list of moves that go through spiral swords:
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/65071234

LakeEarth

When it comes to team building, I like taking 2 characters I already know how to play, and slapping someone new on point, someone who fits team-wise. Repeat when you get bored of that team. Eventually you'll have a nice roster to mix-n-match.

Dahbomb

There's more? Please post them! Hilarious! Lol unacceptable!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcXdHoWjLj4

EDIT: Gamefaqs topic with list of moves that go through spiral swords:
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-...com-3/65071234
It should be mentioned that in these experiments Vergil isn't doing anything while the swords are up. No way should someone try to do Proton Cannon on reaction to Spiral Sword. Likewise trying to hit Vergil on top of his head can get you anti-air'd by his normals.

True, but Karst didn't complain about the character per se, I believe the last time we played I bored him due to the above reason :).

Understandable, of course, but it's like ouch.

I still think Nova >>>> Dorm, though :).

I like solo Nova over solo Dorm, but Dorm with missiles assist = fuck my life.

smurfx

get some go again
i love, love arthur's daggers assist. i wish i could have something similar to help both hawkeye and task when i'm zoning.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I thought you just liked to troll with a lot of off-teams. I didn't know you considered yourself to have no main team. I dig the "one character I don't like" dilemma. What would you say are your 5 favorite characters to play with?

I guess it comes in waves for me. I thought point Hawkeye was my main team at one point but I think that was just because I like watching people squirm vs. zoning. Then I played that Nova team and pretty much stopped playing the point Hawkeye team, and now I just play random shit. I just get bored with teams after a while.

I've been on a Ryu kick recently which is strange since I've played that team since the beginning of Ultimate. It seems to be the one team I haven't got bored with yet though it is far from my "strongest" team.

I can't even come up with 5. Hawkeye and Nova I know I will never be bored with, everyone else whether I like playing them or not seems to come in waves.

shaowebb

Why is Dagger so good for Thor? You have to explain this to me.

probably has something to do with the long ass block stun they cause and the fact they come out pretty fast and beat almost every other beam

Daggers beat beams?

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Also what is up with all these Wolverine dive kick videos popping up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4g8b7D1M9c

I know this feeling. I can never just stick with one team and be comfortable with it. I always get bored and switch to something else.

This is news to me. I didn't think non-beam projectiles could beat beams, except hypers of course.

Next week I need to play some people on GAF. I haven't played in weeks. I should play Thor again, I haven't used Thor in ages...

i love, love arthur's daggers assist. i wish i could have something similar to help both hawkeye and task when i'm zoning.

Arthur's daggers is one of the best horizontal assists in the game. The fact that its active longer than hawkeye's similar move makes it really useful for stuff. Plus in armored mode he gains piercing and an extra 2 hits durability on each dagger (starts with 3 goes up to 5)You can beat beams, extend combos, and as I've mentioned a ton Iron fist's wave dash allows him to stay inside of it the entire time its active so he is ridiculously protected with it. Super useful stuff. That move made me pick up Arthur. His ability to anchor made him permanent.

He gets some REALLY dirty stuff off of Rising Fang with Iron Fist. At least its douchey to have that kind of screen control. Considering my team before I stopped playing was Taskmaster/Iron Fist/Arthur and it had shield skills, Rising Fang, and daggers it had a lot of screen control to abuse. Never tried it against Morrigan. It'd probably do well.

Frantic

I've been encountering a lot of people playing Mag/Doom/Vergil lately. It's kind of annoying. Only two of them were any good, though. Another one was okay, but he loses points for teabagging after making Vergil comebacks if I flubbed the timing on my incoming mixups. Yeah, you showed me!

The two good ones were good practice, though. Learned a lot playing against them.

Kioshen

GGs. The lag was unfortunate, but it wasn't entirely unbearable.

It was a shock at first but I did adjust to it in the end. I really should change the latency setting in training mode.

Yeah, I don't think anyone else uses my team. Alioune is the closest.

Yeah you can't really sit and think too much with the power summoning and dark harmonizer. It's risky to punish with your main character and there aren't many assists that can punish in that time span.

Drones tend to just get me a lot of free meter via Soul Drain if Dormammu dies to them. I thought all of your teams were good and very viable at beating mine.

Yeah I learned that quick. I was almost yelling at them for not going faster and then you teleport all the way to the other side ! I thought my team compositions were viable too but I just don't have a lot of battle time under my belt nor lab time to fully exploit a variety of characters. I can only do basic stuff and try not to mess up wave dashing. I honestly did better than I thought even though I got trashed overall.

If you pick Nova, it's best to give him a pinning assist. I haven't played a Nova for a long time, so it was interesting to see that s.M and s.S seem to hit him at certain heights and prevent his advance. It's something I would like to mess around with more.

I really like Nova but if I ever hope to learn Marvel I'm trying to stick with Magnus. His learning curve is sharper but eventually it should make me a better player. As for a pinning assist like Shopping Cart or Cold star ? I'm not too sure what else I could use ... Dark Hole maybe ? Next time we play I could pick Nova so that you could try some things against him if the lag didn't put you off too much.

The Sentinel choice was interesting, but in my experience Hidden Missiles breaks his combos as often as it earns him combos. My launch team in Vanilla was Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom, and I eventually dropped Sentinel because Hidden Missiles get in the way so often. It's not like it's a bad assist for him or anything, but Sentinel has enough trouble getting a hit in as it is!

Yeah missiles wasn't the best choice. The dropped Sent combos costed more matches than missiles interupting air sequences but still you need to be really sensitve with them. Since I already had EMD I could have gone wacky and used rocks. I shouldn't have been lazy and tried it out. Could have worked in a way too. The only reason I use Sentinel is because of drones for Magnus/Doom. Maybe I should try picking Amaterasu again but she's even more complicated than Magnus to be effective with.

You didn't miss anything, that's just the Doom vs. Dormammu matchup. It's probably Dormammu's best matchup, and my team structure just makes it even more ridiculous. Having to air dash to move at all makes it hard for Doom to get in on Dormammu because of both the projectiles coming out and the teleports. I generally don't like to just teleport and run while calling Dark Harmonizer, but it's better than risking getting hit by Foot Dive.

On the positive side it made for an interesting game of cat and mouse.That was a great workout for my tri dashing with doom too. You also made me painfully realize why Doom on anchor is really limited against some matchups. It still won't concinve me to put Sent in the back but hey at least I've been thoroughly informed that I shouldn't be so cavalier with my first two characters hehe.

Dahbomb

WAIT A MINUTE I thought we were talking about Strange's Daggers of Dennak assist!

If it's Arthur's assist then I already know about it.

I had this weird image of Daggers of Denaks beating out beams like FotF.

True, but Karst didn't complain about the character per se, I believe the last time we played I bored him due to the above reason :).

Understandable, of course, but it's like ouch.

I still think Nova >>>> Dorm, though :).
So boring. :-( Then again I use a new team now, so it might not be as boring.
Until you hit me, then I'll go make a sandwich.

I've been wanting to get back to using Thor since he was my dude in Vanilla, but I can't figure out a way to make him work for me. My brain says play Wesker/Thor/Strange, but I don't think it's really my style.
I can't think of why you would want to put Thor second there.

Why is Dagger so good for Thor? You have to explain this to me.
Daggers beat beams?

THE MORE YOU KNOW!
WAIT A MINUTE I thought we were talking about Strange's Daggers of Dennak assist!

If it's Arthur's assist then I already know about it.

I had this weird image of Daggers of Denaks beating out beams like FotF.
Hahaha.

It was a shock at first but I did adjust to it in the end. I really should change the latency setting in training mode.
Yeah, I was mostly used to it at the end, but I still got angry whenever Soul Fist cancels dropped from lag.

[/quote]Yeah you can't really sit and think too much with the power summoning and dark harmonizer. It's risky to punish with your main character and there aren't many assists that can punish in that time span.[/quote]
That's kind of the beauty of the team. It's almost like a boss fight where you get a sense of desperation because a "countdown to doom" timer is going.

Yeah I learned that quick. I was almost yelling at them for not going faster and then you teleport all the way to the other side ! I thought my team compositions were viable too but I just don't have a lot of battle time under my belt nor lab time to fully exploit a variety of characters. I can only do basic stuff and try not to mess up wave dashing. I honestly did better than I thought even though I got trashed overall.
When you use Magneto, the most important skill to have with him is knowing how to get an air throw at any time. He gets the assist call out, and the natural thing for an opponent to do is superjump to get away from ground mix-ups. Capitalizing off of that situation is essential.

I really like Nova but if I ever hope to learn Marvel I'm trying to stick with Magnus. His learning curve is sharper but eventually it should make me a better player. As for a pinning assist like Shopping Cart or Cold star ? I'm not too sure what else I could use ... Dark Hole maybe ? Next time we play I could pick Nova so that you could try some things against him if the lag didn't put you off too much.
Shopping Cart, Cold Star, Sentinel Force, maybe Hidden Missiles (never seen it used), and I suppose Dagger Toss could work. Dark Hole is trash for pinning because it has a very specific range and it causes a soft knockdown so you won't be able to pick anyone up from an overhead unless you get the timing just right. Dark Hole is only useful for two kinds of characters:
1) Characters with awesome normals that benefit from being made safe (Taskmaster).
2) Teleporters who can position Dark Hole for where it needs to be (Wesker).

Yeah missiles wasn't the best choice. The dropped Sent combos costed more matches than missiles interupting air sequences but still you need to be really sensitve with them. Since I already had EMD I could have gone wacky and used rocks. I shouldn't have been lazy and tried it out. Could have worked in a way too. The only reason I use Sentinel is because of drones for Magnus/Doom. Maybe I should try picking Amaterasu again but she's even more complicated than Magnus to be effective with.
IMO, use three characters you want to use.

On the positive side it made for an interesting game of cat and mouse.That was a great workout for my tri dashing with doom too. You also made me painfully realize why Doom on anchor is really limited against some matchups. It still won't concinve me to put Sent in the back but hey at least I've been thoroughly informed that I shouldn't be so cavalier with my first two characters hehe.
I think Sentinel is the better anchor, and Doom/Sentinel is better than Sentinel/Doom.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Right now I got

Felicia/Task/Arthur

Cap/Task/Arthur

For teams that are solid. Cap's shield slash as an assist is fucking hilarious btw :p

I want to make another team though but not sure what yet.

Right now I got

Felicia/Task/Arthur

Cap/Task/Arthur

For teams that are solid. Cap's shield slash as an assist is fucking hilarious btw :p

I want to make another team though but not sure what yet.
Arthur/Iron Fist/Strider!

Best Arthur ever on stream right now, just got a combo from super jump height j.S.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hey like

remember in vanilla when wolverine was an asshole cause you had to block a million mix ups?

That's like, a third of the shit you have to deal with against Zero

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
But if you block against Zero you have to block so many more mixups.

And when you get that hit you don't have to use any xfactor to kill.

Dahbomb

Zero's corner mix ups is much more terrifying but Wolverine's invincible Berserker Slash across the screen was also maximum bull shit.

Also Zero's command dash into Buster is basically a "safe" Berserker Slash that combos into itself and leads into a TOD. Yes that is completely fair and balanced.

Yea Zero is far more terrifying than Wolverine. However to play devil's advocate. Zero only has two distance of dash for his "berserker slash" and they are quite predictable. Wolverine has 3 and it's harder to tell if they are going to cross up or not especially around mid screen.

Basically if Zero is more than maybe 6+ steps away it's not crossing up. Anything closer it crosses up. It just you have to play against Zero often to know the distance.

Dahbomb

Zero can cancel the command dash whenever with Buster so he has full control over the timing of the cross up.

And Wolverine's B slash at advance guard range never crosses up even if you use H version.

shaowebb

Arthur/Iron Fist/Strider!

Best Arthur ever on stream right now, just got a combo from super jump height j.S.

That team sounds pretty dirty. Arthur backed by Rising Dragon is really harsh to deal with and Strider Assist as well just makes it seem like stupid levels of discomfort for folks to put up with. Heck even with tag outs Iron Fist is properly covered by 2 lvl 3 xfactor comeback characters whose assists both support his gameplay. I like this team.

what are some other good OTG assists? I've been running hidden missiles as a combo extender, is there more OTGS like viewtiful joe's bomb that help extend combo after the air S?

Zero can cancel the command dash whenever with Buster so he has full control over the timing of the cross up.

And Wolverine's B slash at advance guard range never crosses up even if you use H version.

The cancel only allow him to move like 2 inch less then where he was going to end up. It's not like he overshoot the other guy by 20 yards and can cancel anywhere within the range.

It's a set distance that short as fuck so even if you cancel it you already should know what side he ends up on (it's more of can you react with your hands). I think most people that get hit with teleport buster knew which side they just couldn't react to it.

I don't play Zero mirror often but when I do I never try to react. I just look at the distance of his teleport and pick either left or right from the start. You're just not going to react to it, so you're better off with just picking one (50/50 right?) then trying to react because that pause is going to kill you.

If you are interested in a GAF Marvel tournament, please say so. I want to gauge interest again so I know if it won't be a waste of time to do so.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. Just want to know if the next couple of months are good for people to commit to this. Free60 and PSFree players, let me know. Once again, THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST OR REFERENCE IT IN ANY WAY SAYING THAT YOU ARE SIGNING UP BECAUSE YOU WILL BE MOCKED AND/OR LAUGHED AT.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If you are interested in a GAF Marvel tournament, please say so. I want to gauge interest again so I know if it won't be a waste of time to do so.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. Just want to know if the next couple of months are good for people to commit to this. Free60 and PSFree players, let me know. Once again, THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST OR REFERENCE IT IN ANY WAY SAYING THAT YOU ARE SIGNING UP BECAUSE YOU WILL BE MOCKED AND/OR LAUGHED AT.

Will there be incentives?

Vice

I'm interested.

interested, but i'll get bodied first match

JeTmAn81

I'm in on either platform.

Solune

what are some other good OTG assists? I've been running hidden missiles as a combo extender, is there more OTGS like viewtiful joe's bomb that help extend combo after the air S?

Wesker's OTG is probably the best OTG in the game. theoretically you should be able to use any assist that OTGs after doing an Air S, just a matter of timing the Air S late in the combo so that your point character is beneath the opponent before the hard knockdown.

What's your team composition right now?

---

Beef, I'd be interested in a tournament / ranbat

---

Went back to Spencer/Vergil/Doom for the first time in months. Holy shit I can actually push buttons when Magneto or Wesker is in front of me.

Edit: Azure, check your PMs if you haven't already.

Top Bottom