• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Frantic

I had the weirdest thing happen to me when playing some Nova/Spencer/Task player... I was running my Strider/Strange/Dante alt team and was down to Strider/Dante... and the guy snapped Strider out for Dante. Now, this was after I made like three straight anchor Dante comebacks, but still... why would you ever do that?

Azure J

I had the weirdest thing happen to me when playing some Nova/Spencer/Task player... I was running my Strider/Strange/Dante alt team and was down to Strider/Dante... and the guy snapped Strider out for Dante. Now, this was after I made like three straight anchor Dante comebacks, but still... why would you ever do that?

Mind fucked to the point of no return.

mr. puppy

Banned
is Magneto/Zero/Dante the best rushdown team in the game? If you get a hit with Mags or Zero its going to lead to lightning loops, and Jam Session is the best incoming mixup tool in the game.

Zissou

is Magneto/Zero/Dante the best rushdown team in the game? If you get a hit with Mags or Zero its going to lead to lightning loops, and Jam Session is the best incoming mixup tool in the game.

Point Mags without drones or missiles? Zero+Dante is proven, but I don't understand what Magnus is doing on the team.

Marz

Why is Magneto/Doom/Sentinel not considered better than team FChamp? Arguable best character in the game backed by arguable two best assists.

Kioshen

I felt like your Sentinel needed to go for command grab setups more often.

I still have trouble doing SRK motions for some reason but that's something that was in the back of my mind which confirms that I need to work on my throw game.

There was one attempted CT that whiffed which baffled me a little bit. You were crouching with Morrigan, I wave dashed up right in your face, did fierce command grab to put you in the corner, you weren't in any block/hit stun but it completely whiffed and costed me the game. In any case I will look into it thanks !

Rayray plays a very convincing Sentinel anchor. Sentinel has a lot of bad matchups, but so does Doom. IMO, Sentinel's worst matchups still aren't quite as bad as Doom's just because Sentinel has more options.

So does Infrit but they have so much better mobility it's scary. I do agree that Sent has more options and I forgot about HSF X Factor pressure. Pretty much every top players put Sent at the back of the bus when they run him so might as well do it too.

Dahbomb

Why is Magneto/Doom/Sentinel not considered better than team FChamp? Arguable best character in the game backed by arguable two best assists.
Because it's 2 support characters and that's one too many in the current meta game. A single Hawkeye owns that team. Either Doom or Sentinel should be replaced in the team. The team needs a top anchor to hold it together in case Magneto goes down fast.

There's no real reason not to start Zero with that team. Zero/Magneto/Dante and Zero/Dante/Magneto both make more sense. Putting Magneto on point with no cover other than a Vertical assist isn't really an awesome strategy. Dashing up and calling Jam Session over and over is gonna get you sniped pretty quick. However, Magneto and Dante both have great assists for Zero, who is just as mobile and strong on point as Magnus. But Magneto works way better in the other two slots than Zero. All you really get with Magneto on point is the Shockwave -> Sougenmu DHC, which means you have to wait until you build a bar and then hope your opponent loves doing unsafe stuff in the air or spams assist calls.

And honestly, Nova with Bolts is probably better if all you care about is pure rushdown.

Magneto/Dormammu/Doom is far superior because it's more flexible, way better at punishing assists and has fewer weaknesses. It's at once the best Magneto and the best Dormammu team. Dormammu + Doom is way, way better than Doom + Sentinel, and Missiles and Drones both take so much time to call that you're not going to be doing a lot of swapping between them.

Magneto can transfer between rushdown and zoning while missiles keeps him from eating a lot of damage at once. Stalking Flare in my opinion is his best DHC and EMD is one of Dormammu's best assists. Even if a team can deal with Magneto, pulling in Dormammu with EMD and Missiles is almost insurmountable for a solid portion of the cast. Plus Magneto makes awesome use of Dormammu's liberation assist.

Zissou

Given that Chrisis was recently talking about the Hawkeye+dark harmonizer pairing, who do people think would be the best third for that team, and what order would you play the team with your chosen third?

Dahbomb

Given that Chrisis was recently talking about the Hawkeye+dark harmonizer pairing, who do people think would be the best third for that team, and what order would you play the team with your chosen third?
Vergil or Hidden Missiles.

Can never go wrong with those two.

Vergil on second can kill off Gimlet where as Hidden Missiles will provide both Hawkeye and Morrigan with a godlike assist.

beef, im interested in a marvel ranbat if you need PSN players from the continental united states. but if you've got an even number then i can sub for a drop out.

Because the "best character" back by two best assist doesn't necessarily mean a strong plan. You need to understand that team F Champ works primarily as a Dorm team, once Magneto lands a hit he can generate a ton of meter to set up Dorm's zoning game with missiles. And many characters can do very little against a Dorm stocked with spells and meters, having missiles makes the odds even worse. His team makes Dorm ridiculously dangerous. Magneto/Doom/Sent in comparison is a lot more fair, landing a hit with Magneto doesn't give you a massive advantage and having 2 strong assist means a lot less than you think. Most of the time there's little reasons for you to call missiles or plasma beam when you have drones that scales less and covers space better.

Magneto/Dormammu/Doom is far superior because it's more flexible, way better at punishing assists and has fewer weaknesses.

It's the other way round, Magneto/Doom/Sentinel is more flexible and can be played in many ways, especially since Sent with missiles is pretty good. Mag/Dorm/Doom has a very clear gameplan that struggles when there are answers to that gameplan. That's why F Champ lost to Chris G, his entire team fell apart against Chris G's Hawkeye.

When I played Phoenix on point I had people snap Phoenix out for Morrigan. I get that Dark Harmonizer causes problems for people, but giving me XF3 Dark Phoenix is not the answer...

What is that second best assist doing? That is, why would you need both?

I still have trouble doing SRK motions for some reason but that's something that was in the back of my mind which confirms that I need to work on my throw game.

There was one attempted CT that whiffed which baffled me a little bit. You were crouching with Morrigan, I wave dashed up right in your face, did fierce command grab to put you in the corner, you weren't in any block/hit stun but it completely whiffed and costed me the game. In any case I will look into it thanks !
I recommend going into training mode and checking the ranges on throws. Morrigan's crouching hurtbox is tiiiiiiiny.

Vergil, Dante, Doom, Rocket Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Taskmaster, Shuma-Gorath, Strider. Those would be my top choices for a third, not in any particular order. All of them work very well with Hawkeye and Morrigan.

Akuma is also another champ choice for Hawkeye Morrigan. those two are good but are susceptible to being mauled, especially since you could be starting Clint on point without any projectile assist to cover his holes if you use other characters.

609 games, ggs to Sorceror!

Man I have no idea what I'm doing with Dormammu and Morrigan lol but that team is so much fun.

Yea good games, that was fun. I don't play too many good Magneto's online so that experienced helped.

I could tell that you didn't really know the characters because I'm usually free to Dorm and Morrigan. I usually just spam javelins, gravimetric pulse and strange bolts with Nova against her.

I only play that team by the way, I was thinking about switching but I'm ass with every other character.

Yea good games, that was fun. I don't play too many good Magneto's online so that experienced helped.

I could tell that you didn't really know the characters because I'm usually free to Dorm and Morrigan. I usually just spam javelins, gravimetric pulse and strange bolts with Nova against her.

I only play that team by the way, I was thinking about switching but I'm ass with every other character.

I can't even learn other characters because I can't use training mode yet. So basically I have Wolverine, X-23, Magneto, Wesker and Phoenix.

-_-
Biggest tip ever: always burn X-Factor with Dormammu if it can get you an air throw vs. your opponent's incoming mix-up.

Okie. My strategy is run the fuck away while calling astral vision then hit something with shockwave DHC stalking flare, charge up liberation assist then raw tag back to Magneto.

Hey Karst, what's the link to the doc with everyone's PSN/360 names? I wanna include that in the tournament thread OP.
Answered, but thanks for including it.

Okie. My strategy is run the fuck away while calling astral vision then hit something with shockwave DHC stalking flare, charge up liberation assist then raw tag back to Magneto.
You mean Dark Harmonizer? And that sounds like a fun strategy, though IMO if you can charge 3 Dark Spells Dormammu should stay in and use them.

<3

+1 person visiting OP, huge success!
I think he's trying to do 1000 games without touching training mode?
I visit it to scour for my link all the time! ;-)

Is that why you keep counting your matches? I do agree that playing people always trumps training mode.
Indeed!

Frantic

Mind fucked to the point of no return.
who are you

I think I was more mind fucked by the snap than he was by my anchor Dante. Blew my mind.

When I played Phoenix on point I had people snap Phoenix out for Morrigan. I get that Dark Harmonizer causes problems for people, but giving me XF3 Dark Phoenix is not the answer...
Phoenix/Dorm/Morrigan, right? Just kill Phoenix and then maul Dorm. If you're mauling Dorm, it's not like he's going to be able to use Dark Harmonizer all that much. Least that's what I'd do against your team. Maybe it's just because I play Dante/Strider, lol.

Phoenix/Dorm/Morrigan, right? Just kill Phoenix and then maul Dorm. If you're mauling Dorm, it's not like he's going to be able to use Dark Harmonizer all that much. Least that's what I'd do against your team. Maybe it's just because I play Dante/Strider, lol.
Well, it was back in Vanilla, so Strider cheese wasn't available.

And "Just kill your first two characters" isn't much of a strategy. ;-) It was hard as hell to kill point Phoenix in Vanilla.

My order is Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix now, because Phoenix is no longer viable on point.

Azure J

LOL, I didn't realize my regular avatar was so iconic on GAF. At the same time, I couldn't resist getting in on some pixel character love. :p

On topic: When people snap and mess with your order only for you to get paired up with your best arrangement or most experienced layout is seriously one of the best things that happens in this game. I had a match online where someone snapped out my Viper because they couldn't deal with her only to make my order Dante/Viper aka Burn Kick assist/Strider and I was like "OK, cool! :)"

I pretty much mauled them with the Dante + Viper combo I've been trying to land on stream/one of you for months now.

Frantic

Well, it was back in Vanilla, so Strider cheese wasn't available.
But Dante had Hammer and s.L back then, so there was still plenty of cheese to go around.

And "Just kill your first two characters" isn't much of a strategy. ;-) It was hard as hell to kill point Phoenix in Vanilla.
It is in some cases/teams! And Dante was easily one of the best at catching and killing Phoenix in vanilla, so I think it would have still applied. :p

But Dante had Hammer and s.L back then, so there was still plenty of cheese to go around.
Neither of those prevent me from running away and calling Dark Harmonizer, though. Strider does.

It is in some cases/teams! And Dante was easily one of the best at catching and killing Phoenix in vanilla, so I think it would have still applied. :p
You're right that Dante was one of the best Phoenix killers in Vanilla. I usually had to DHC Phoenix out against him at some point because Jam Session made it impossible to get TK Shot H out.

Top Bottom