• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

FSLink

Banned
If you are interested in a GAF Marvel tournament, please say so. I want to gauge interest again so I know if it won't be a waste of time to do so.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. Just want to know if the next couple of months are good for people to commit to this. Free60 and PSFree players, let me know. Once again, THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST OR REFERENCE IT IN ANY WAY SAYING THAT YOU ARE SIGNING UP BECAUSE YOU WILL BE MOCKED AND/OR LAUGHED AT.

I'm interested.

Also anybody on PSN right now?

what are some other good OTG assists? I've been running hidden missiles as a combo extender, is there more OTGS like viewtiful joe's bomb that help extend combo after the air S?
Anything can combo extend if you know how to use it right. Wesker's OTG assist is the most commonly used.

If you are interested in a GAF Marvel tournament, please say so. I want to gauge interest again so I know if it won't be a waste of time to do so.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. Just want to know if the next couple of months are good for people to commit to this. Free60 and PSFree players, let me know. Once again, THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST OR REFERENCE IT IN ANY WAY SAYING THAT YOU ARE SIGNING UP BECAUSE YOU WILL BE MOCKED AND/OR LAUGHED AT.
I am interested.

Bizazedo

New style or original recipe?

New style, but a slight variation that worked for me. Probably does slightly less damage, but new style.

I also end it differently to get hard knock down. Allows me to be lazy and go into Rekkoha if I want instead of another Sougenmu (because, really, at that point not much more should be necessary to kill).

And when I say I did it, I can do it sometimes in training. Not nearly ready for primetime, yet.

And I am interested in ranbats / tourney.

LakeEarth

Wesker's OTG is probably the best OTG in the game.
I think so. It's an OTG that hits low and is a projectile (allowing some space between your assist and your opponent).

I like using hidden missiles for it's OTG ability, but only for reset situations. And for Spencer upgrapple bullshit, of course.

New style, but a slight variation that worked for me. Probably does slightly less damage, but new style.

I also end it differently to get hard knock down. Allows me to be lazy and go into Rekkoha if I want instead of another Sougenmu (because, really, at that point not much more should be necessary to kill).
I want to try it out. I have no intention of playing Zero, but I'd be neat to be able to say you can pull it off.

I pulled off a lightning loop for the first time last night :eek:. I am in shock.

How do you get a fully charged buster after cancelling into Shadow Clones? I can never get that to even begin the lightning loop. I swear I'm charging asap from using the previous buster.

FSLink

Banned
How do you get a fully charged buster after cancelling into Shadow Clones? I can never get that to even begin the lightning loop. I swear I'm charging asap from using the previous buster.
Start charging as soon as you cancel into super after Dive Kick xx Lv3 Buster. I usually activate super with M and H and then neutral jump, buster, begin loop.

Bizazedo

I just keep the button held down from doing the light lightning after the initial buster for the charge. The rest is just making sure they're elevated enough so you can jump up and Buster them into oblivion.

You actually have more time than you think you do to jump up and Buster.

Start charging as soon as you cancel into super after Dive Kick xx Lv3 Buster. I usually activate super with M and H and then neutral jump, buster, begin loop.

If that works, that's awesome too. I start charging during Raikousen lol.

If I had my way I'd be playing Marn's Zero/Vergil/Strider. And I'd use the Mega Man outfit too!

If I figure this out to do it regularly, I'll probably finally make that real push to Zero / Nova / Vergil.

My three favorite OTG assists are Hidden Missiles, Low Shot and Ankle Slicer. They all have other uses, which is nice. Ankle Slicer in particular is basically a slower Low Shot that can hit multiple characters. Hidden Missiles is my favorite by far because you can do 2 or three extra moves between the missile hits and then call another assist immediately as it ends. Not to mention that you can OTG twice with Hidden Missiles if you're clever or Spencer.

As long as it ends before February.

This might seem like a dumb question, but given marvels button configuration, is it actually possible to get really good marvel play on the vita? I've played extremely high level street fighter before, but I don't really feel like sf x tekken is the game for me. I love marvel and what little I played I really enjoyed even though it was so foreign to me for the button set ups. I was able to complete every single skill challenege for both vanilla and super street fighter 4, so I'm not worried my execution is lacking, I just wonder I'd the vita button schema will take that power away from me?

I WOULD LIKE TO SIGN UP

to the list of people that have an interest in this happening.

I'm interested (PSN)

Solune

This might seem like a dumb question, but given marvels button configuration, is it actually possible to get really good marvel play on the vita? I've played extremely high level street fighter before, but I don't really feel like sf x tekken is the game for me. I love marvel and what little I played I really enjoyed even though it was so foreign to me for the button set ups. I was able to complete every single skill challenege for both vanilla and super street fighter 4, so I'm not worried my execution is lacking, I just wonder I'd the vita button schema will take that power away from me?
I don't think using the Vita button scheme will hurt at all, it's essentially using default except one of your assists will be the Right trigger, which I don't like, Both of my assists are usually mapped to the left triggers. Other than that you should be fine except for X-factor, you'll have to be fast unless your hand is not gripping the Vita.
I pulled off a lightning loop for the first time last night :eek:. I am in shock.

Did you do the "2013" Version? I managed to pull off the first half, but I don't know if the second half you're supposed to do TK Lightnings or not, because you can tell by the number of hits that it's not optimized...

Bizazedo

Did you do the "2013" Version? I managed to pull off the first half, but I don't know if the second half you're supposed to do TK Lightnings or not, because you can tell by the number of hits that it's not optimized...

Yeah, with a different starter to it so I could end it with a divekick for the hard knock down. And I know I screwed up the first half since I did an extra light Raikousen before the medium one, so it wasn't "optimized".

The damage is still ridiculous, though, and being able to end it with a divekick means I can just Rekkoha and end it without risk of dropping the combo if they still live. Which is important.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It could be fun. 360 here.

I don't think using the Vita button scheme will hurt at all, it's essentially using default except one of your assists will be the Right trigger, which I don't like, Both of my assists are usually mapped to the left triggers. Other than that you should be fine except for X-factor, you'll have to be fast unless your hand is not gripping the Vita.

Can you map xfactor to an input like select or the touch screen? If so then its manageable

Solune

Yeah, with a different starter to it so I could end it with a divekick for the hard knock down. And I know I screwed up the first half since I did an extra light Raikousen before the medium one, so it wasn't "optimized".

The damage is still ridiculous, though, and being able to end it with a divekick means I can just Rekkoha and end it without risk of dropping the combo if they still live. Which is important.
Hmm. So for the second half, do you perform it the same as the first half? They look like TK Lightnings in the video but I couldn't tell...

Also Yah the damage is insane, in the video, it's 570k, but it looks like you can do more damage if it's possible to optimize the second half. 570k for one meter. fuck.
Can you map xfactor to an input like select or the touch screen? If so then its manageable

Haha actually, I have a Vita but no Vita version so, hopefully someone like Nert can answer our questions!

Bizazedo

Hmm. So for the second half, do you perform it the same as the first half? They look like TK Lightnings in the video but I couldn't tell...

The times I pulled it off, yes. I actually didn't even jump straight up, I jumped up-back and then raikousened. I didn't TK.

JeTmAn81

I played someone last night who could seemingly do every combo with every character. Magneto ROM, Doom swag combos, charging with Vergil, etc. If he'd picked Zero I wouldnt have been surprised to see him lightning loop. So yeah if you're a good enough pad player you can do it all on Vita.

Solune

The times I pulled it off, yes. I actually didn't even jump straight up, I jumped up-back and then raikousened. I didn't TK.
Thanks alot, this is very helpful as I'm planning to go back to Zero.
I played someone last night who could seemingly do every combo with every character. Magneto ROM, Doom swag combos, charging with Vergil, etc. If he'd picked Zero I wouldnt have been surprised to see him lightning loop. So yeah if you're a good enough pad player you can do it all on Vita.

Are you able to map X-factor to touch screen controls Jetman?

Zissou

As far as I can tell messing around with the vita version, you can only map stuff to the four face buttons and the two shoulder buttons, so you can't practically use button button macros for x-factoring or air-dashing without giving up an assist or something.

smurfx

get some go again

i'm interested.

Anybody want to have a mini-tournament tonight on PSN? I'll make an 8-person lobby and I'll make a little bracket. We'll rotate FT5s, single elimination. Just turn on spectate when it's not your turn.

Say around, 8PM PST.

1. God's Beard
  2. ???
  3. ???
  4. ???
  5. ???
  6. ???
  7. ???
  8. ???

Thanks alot, this is very helpful as I'm planning to go back to Zero.
Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Anybody want to have a mini-tournament tonight on PSN? I'll make an 8-person lobby and I'll make a little bracket. We'll rotate FT5s, single elimination. Just turn on spectate when it's not your turn.

Say around, 8PM PST.

1. God's Beard
  2. ???
  3. ???
  4. ???
  5. ???
  6. ???
  7. ???
  8. ???
I'm iffy. It's my wife's day off from work, so we'll probably be doing stuff together.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member

Def interested

Could be interested in 360 side tourney.

The captain deserves some more burn, as does my new ultimate throwback. Nova applies directly to forehead.

But srsly, Steve needs more play. A good alternate for when I'm thinking too much with Parker, and it gives me an excuse to use Mr top tier in fun himself, iron guy.

Kioshen

I'm interested.

Yeah, I was mostly used to it at the end, but I still got angry whenever Soul Fist cancels dropped from lag.

Funny you say that I had a bright smile every time it happened i dunno why ;).

That's kind of the beauty of the team. It's almost like a boss fight where you get a sense of desperation because a "countdown to doom" timer is going.

Oh I definitely felt desperation. Every time I saw that succubus and I didn't punish it I cursed a little bit inside. It makes the opponent do more mistakes to force his way than normal so it's a different angle than the usual RTSD teams.

When you use Magneto, the most important skill to have with him is knowing how to get an air throw at any time. He gets the assist call out, and the natural thing for an opponent to do is superjump to get away from ground mix-ups. Capitalizing off of that situation is essential.

Dully noted and will work on setups for it. I know it has been a while but other than dropped combos from lack of experience is there other things I should look at ?

Shopping Cart, Cold Star, Sentinel Force, maybe Hidden Missiles (never seen it used), and I suppose Dagger Toss could work. Dark Hole is trash for pinning because it has a very specific range and it causes a soft knockdown so you won't be able to pick anyone up from an overhead unless you get the timing just right. Dark Hole is only useful for two kinds of characters:
1) Characters with awesome normals that benefit from being made safe (Taskmaster).
2) Teleporters who can position Dark Hole for where it needs to be (Wesker).

I'll swap out Magneto for Nova on my team then from the looks of it if I want to experiment with him. It won't change too much the structure but still allow for a different outlook on match flow.

IMO, use three characters you want to use.

Yeah it's not like I'm running around the continent doing tournaments. I'll probably try my hand at a local in Montreal this year however. It still won't matter much if I don't have fun doing it.

I think Sentinel is the better anchor, and Doom/Sentinel is better than Sentinel/Doom.

I've read so much on "waahhh Sent has so many bad matchups" that it stuck with me but then I faced your team with Doom alone. I don't think it'll hurt much to put Sent at the back of the bus. Plus I'll get more opportunity to do swag combos with Doom
if I ever land one variation in training mode someday *cough*

My goal of at least 16 people being interested has been reached. I'll see if I can't get a thread up sometime this weekend for the whole shebangabang.

Funny you say that I had a bright smile every time it happened i dunno why ;).
:p

Oh I definitely felt desperation. Every time I saw that succubus and I didn't punish it I cursed a little bit inside. It makes the opponent do more mistakes to force his way than normal so it's a different angle than the usual RTSD teams.
She's very hard to hit, and you're never going to punish the call. She's only vulnerable for the first 10 frames when she arrives on the screen. If you played Vanilla Marvel, she has the vulnerability of Vanilla Double Lariat assist, but it's the first 10 frames instead of the last 10 frames. You have a better chance of punishing an Akuma tatsu assist up close. God's Beard catches the assist call a lot with X-23 because all of her normals hit twice, so there's a much stronger chance of the random catch. I'll even call her during an opponent's blockstring breaks and she won't get hit. Basically, the second you see her make her pose, she's invulnerable.

Dully noted and will work on setups for it. I know it has been a while but other than dropped combos from lack of experience is there other things I should look at ?
I felt like your Sentinel needed to go for command grab setups more often.

I'll swap out Magneto for Nova on my team then from the looks of it if I want to experiment with him. It won't change too much the structure but still allow for a different outlook on match flow.
Interesting idea.

I've read so much on "waahhh Sent has so many bad matchups" that it stuck with me but then I faced your team with Doom alone. I don't think it'll hurt much to put Sent at the back of the bus. Plus I'll get more opportunity to do swag combos with Doom
if I ever land one variation in training mode someday *cough*
Rayray plays a very convincing Sentinel anchor. Sentinel has a lot of bad matchups, but so does Doom. IMO, Sentinel's worst matchups still aren't quite as bad as Doom's just because Sentinel has more options.

My goal of at least 16 people being interested has been reached. I'll see if I can't get a thread up sometime this weekend for the whole shebangabang.
Fantabulous!

God's Beard catches the assist call a lot with X-23 because all of her normals hit twice, so there's a much stronger chance of the random catch.

That's the whole reason for my "song and dance" on the ground and why I put X-23 on point. Morrigan ruins everything. You can tell when I'm fishing for the assist because I'll do a lot of neck slicers or gunshot ground teleports in a row. I love picking out assists more than hitting your point character. Also why I was thinking about Magneto/Dormammu/Morrigan.

mr. puppy

Banned
goddamn now i know why i'll never play zero. was thinking of doing Magneto/Zero/Dante and I go onto the zero forum on SRK and they're all discussing how Zero/Morrigan/Vergil is a great team. jesus christ.

Solune

the office.gif

Haha ok, well after training for another hour or so. I can't get the new loop at all. The info helped me nail it a few times but I've completed about 10% of the time. It's not easier for me at all. So i may or may not go with Zero.
I have a renewed love for Spencer/Vergil/Doom. I like actually being able to hit buttons and having access to safe dhcs and a ghetto DHC glitch.

Azure J

I'm having a weird situation here. I feel like I want to learn some teams that have nothing in common with one another outside of Dante, and also to have some counter pick teams for certain match ups. At the same time, Viper/Dante/Strider is packed with nuances that need exploring and I don't feel like I'm fundamentally sound enough to bounce between multiple teams yet. If I had to make a list right now, these would be the one's I'd invest in:

Viper (Burn Kick)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajra)
Dante (Jam Session)/Dormammu (Dark Hole or Liberation)/Magneto (Estaka)

The last team has to fill a niche I haven't covered between the two preferably without any repeat characters. I guess the long and short of this post is that I'm "bored" and want to explore something I haven't dedicated myself to. :p

Reason why Sent is a better anchor is hard drive and cr. M. Those things are really good tools that Sent can use. Doom, has footdive. Much easier for Sent to survive incoming or catch people jumping.

Well my XBL gold subscription expired today and I have absolutely no desire to re-sub seeing as I only played UMVC3 on the system.

It's back to PSN for me :<

How do you tag in without hitting the character when coming in?
It's all about screen position. Try raw tagging from various character positions and you'll get a feel for it.

Well my XBL gold subscription expired today and I have absolutely no desire to re-sub seeing as I only played UMVC3 on the system.

It's back to PSN for me :<
Add yourself in on the spreadsheet and friend up.

Interesting Wright team on TRB: Trish/Wright/RR. I'm not big on RR, but Trish/Wright is really interesting. Wright gives her desperately needed unblockables, and she can Round Harvest - Wright tag to land Objection or collect evidence. I'm not sure who the third should be, but that's an interesting pair right there.

smurfx

get some go again
things came up beef so i'll probably not be able to be in a tournament if you do make one. probably won't be able to play tomorrow either biz.

things came up beef so i'll probably not be able to be in a tournament if you do make one. probably won't be able to play tomorrow either biz.

It's cool, it's not happening this weekend. That's just when I'm making the thread. You've still got at least a week if you still are interested.

Top Bottom