• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I was thinking of having it lowered but then I realized, you don't like it. So I kept it just to get the same reaction out of you. But I will change it as soon as I can get my desktop back from my sibling.

I would ask him but I don't want to bother him if is in a set with someone. And what of you? Do you have free time Karst?

I was thinking of having it lowered but then I realized, you don't like it. So I kept it just to get the same reaction out of you. But I will change it as soon as I can get my desktop back from my sibling.

I would ask him but I don't want to bother him if is in a set with someone. And what of you? Do you have free time Karst?
Hahaha. I don't dislike it, it's just confusing to me. Like someone who took a picture of them standing next to a model, but accidentally only took a picture of the knees. I am perplexed!

I don't think GB is in a set, he just waits playing RAGE until someone gets on and challenges him. I'm working on some things right now and would not be able to play Marvel right now. Plus, my wife will be home shortly so I'll be cooking dinner.

Hahaha. I don't dislike it, it's just confusing to me. Like someone who took a picture of them standing next to a model, but accidentally only took a picture of the knees. I am perplexed!

I don't think GB is in a set, he just waits playing RAGE until someone gets on and challenges him. I'm working on some things right now and would not be able to play Marvel right now. Plus, my wife will be home shortly so I'll be cooking dinner.

I'll try pm him then.

I can play in like half an hour, I'm busy with comparative research into hitbox and frame data for Vampire Savior characters. Capcom had very different ideas about some of this stuff 15 years ago. Honestly I think that 3rd Strike had the best hitboxes(masks) but SF4 does a really good job with frame data.

I can play in like half an hour, I'm busy with comparative research into hitbox and frame data for Vampire Savior characters. Capcom had very different ideas about some of this stuff 15 years ago. Honestly I think that 3rd Strike had the best hitboxes(masks) but SF4 does a really good job with frame data.
You can take God's Beard out of training mode, but you can't take training mode out of God's Beard.

When ever you are ready. already sent a match request

Frantic

GGs Azure. I don't know what it is, but today I've been having trouble piloting Dante for whatever reason. I dropped just about everything with him. :/ Some of it was lag, but some of it was just me having executional mishaps. It's weird. Maybe I've been playing too much Strider on point. Either way, my Strange is ass. Mystic Sword! Mystic Sword! That's all I know how to do besides SoV.

Anyways, you should stop trying to go through projectiles with EX Thunder Knuckle from full screen. Too easy to bait and punish. If you're going to do it, at least make sure you have two bars so you can cancel it into EX Seismo to take advantage.

FUCK. MAGNETO.

Translation: GGs Frantic.
lmao, I don't know what it was, but I felt really comfortable with Magneto today. Dropped a lot of combos, but my movement was pretty clean most of the time. Need to start OSing j.H more, though. Also maybe learn box dash Magnetic Blast.

Marz

For Magnetos basic hyper grav loop in the corner is there a certain timing or something to keep it going that I'm missing....I'm just doing a basic lmhs>aH>addf>aH>sH>lHyperGrav but i can only loop it twice third time they pop out or are too high.

Azure J

GGs Azure. I don't know what it is, but today I've been having trouble piloting Dante for whatever reason. I dropped just about everything with him. :/ Some of it was lag, but some of it was just me having executional mishaps. It's weird. Maybe I've been playing too much Strider on point. Either way, my Strange is ass. Mystic Sword! Mystic Sword! That's all I know how to do besides SoV.

Anyways, you should stop trying to go through projectiles with EX Thunder Knuckle from full screen. Too easy to bait and punish. If you're going to do it, at least make sure you have two bars so you can cancel it into EX Seismo to take advantage.

lmao, I don't know what it was, but I felt really comfortable with Magneto today. Dropped a lot of combos, but my movement was pretty clean most of the time. Need to start OSing j.H more, though. Also maybe learn box dash Magnetic Blast.

I was just completely gone a few matches in. I felt like there was nothing I could do versus Mags, couldn't set up Jam Session - SeismoLaser zoning because Disruptor gives no fucks, couldn't stall in the air because falling into ambiguous Drones setup, your own Jam Session, and MagBlasts made navigation a coin toss, couldn't start anything because Mags was right on that ass if I got KO'd in the corner, and relying on dark anchor feels wrong and you have a legitimate Dark Dante to haunt me with.

Every EX thunder knuckle I threw out was supposed to be a Seismo or cancelled into one and every last one dropped. Speaking of drops, serves me right for trying to stair case online.

I've just been brutally off ever since I took that break earlier last week and it's killing me in a sense. I'm a hyper competitive person. =/

What's more, right after I finished my matches with you, I played that acquaintance of mine playing Firebrand/Ammy/Sentinel and got eaten alive because of reasons. I can't even tell how much is me and how much is the netcode anymore.

Am I any good or am I fraud? be as blunt as you can please.

You need to figure out something better to do once you get a hit with Trish but other than that your team is effective. You know what's going on and make good decisions for the most part. The only decision I question is always tagging in Phoenix when you have 5 bars then tagging her out when she turns. That's really scary. The only reason I was doing that is because I don't play Morrigan LOL

Play Karst, he has the same shell as you except he's a demon.

Why Zero?

I spend so much time jumping around and calling assists that I figure Zero does it better than X-23.

Frantic

I was just completely gone a few matches in. I felt like there was nothing I could do versus Mags, couldn't set up Jam Session - SeismoLaser zoning because Disruptor gives no fucks, couldn't stall in the air because falling into ambiguous Drones setup, your own Jam Session, and MagBlasts made navigation a coin toss, couldn't start anything because Mags was right on that ass if I got KO'd in the corner, and relying on dark anchor feels wrong and you have a legitimate Dark Dante to haunt me with.
Yeah, I know how that feels. When I play a good Magneto backed by shit like Missiles, it's a chore to do anything. It's mainly the angle that Magnetic Blast covers that makes it a pain to deal with.

One thing I would recommend doing against Magneto is Jam Session + Vajra more with Dante. A properly spaced Jam Session + Vajra will go through Mag Blast and punish Magneto, and generally cover you from Missiles or Drones. It's somewhat risky to do, but when you get a hang of the positioning it's not too bad to react with it.

Every EX thunder knuckle I threw out was supposed to be a Seismo or cancelled into one and every last one dropped. Speaking of drops, serves me right for trying to stair case online.
I'd definitely recommend going for easier combos next time. I know I was, and I still dropped them, haha.

What's more, right after I finished my matches with you, I played that acquaintance of mine playing Firebrand/Ammy/Sentinel and got eaten alive because of reasons. I can't even tell how much is me and how much is the netcode anymore.
I don't know about anyone else, but our connection was pretty bad. Even after the lag spikes stopped, it was still pretty bad with delay.

Sorry Karst but I was sure I wasn't going to be winning anymore.
Your Keep away is just too good. Trish can't do much, morrigan is of no help and phoenix is too brittle.
But damn. I see why God's Beard said Demon now.

GGs DeadPhoenix. What was your thinking behind the various teams you picked? Those matches were very stressful but fun. I was trying a lot of things out against your Phoenix because I'm curious about TK Overdrive M and never encounter anyone who uses it as much as you do.

Your Keep away is just too good. Trish can't do much, morrigan is of no help and phoenix is too brittle.
I thought it was good that you won as many as you did. The matchup was heavily in my favor. 2/3 of your characters are good matchups for Dormammu. I think you could do more with Trish and Morrigan to maintain your pressure strings, because you end blockstrings into launcher with Trish and Shadow Blade with Morrigan, but you don't do a lot after Shadow Blade with Morrigan it seems.

I got too carried away on my meter usage in a few of those, haha. -_- It's hard not to Stalking Flare the crap out of Trish and Morrigan since they're so free to it.

Also, I bet you can combo into Soul Drain through Trish/Morrigan. Round Harvest -> Astral Vision works if you can find a way to combo into Round Harvest while your opponent is in the air. Round Harvest -> Raw Tag works, too.

You need to figure out something better to do once you get a hit with Trish but other than that your team is effective. You know what's going on and make good decisions for the most part. The only decision I question is always tagging in Phoenix when you have 5 bars then tagging her out when she turns. That's really scary. The only reason I was doing that is because I don't play Morrigan LOL

Play Karst, he has the same shell as you except he's a demon.
Trish is a demon, too! She's just a sappy little girl who couldn't handle her role.

I spend so much time jumping around and calling assists that I figure Zero does it better than X-23.
I find Zero less scary than X-23 because I can zone him.

I'm just salty right now because 90% of the people I've played lately are either hard zoning or Zero May Cry or runaway harmonizer with Phoenix. And my pobre X-23 tries so hard.
Well, Jam Session is called X-23's best assist for a reason. Having the best priority in the game comes with consequences. :p

GGs DeadPhoenix. What was your thinking behind the various teams you picked? Those matches were very stressful but fun. I was trying a lot of things out against your Phoenix because I'm curious about TK Overdrive M and never encounter anyone who uses it as much as you do.

The teams I picked were not thought out. Wesker was just going in as battery. Didn't help. X-23 for rush down. Helped but not by much. Ammy was just for reflecting. Which helped stall but still ended horribly.
In Vanilla Tk overdrive M had a longer recovery if my memory is correct. Didn't find it much useful then but learned that in Ultimate it can allows double air dash. Also it's a nice way to get around without needing tri jumps. And if push blocked then she is safe in the air. It also combos too but not as easy as L version. My Trish and Morrigan need serious overhaul. I spend more time on Phoenix then them let alone Ammy who got thrown into the corner. I don't usually use them other then battery and shields. To be honest, I would learn more of those two if I wasn't so damn lazy...

I don't really use Trish or Morrigan for damage. Only for building meter and poking the other team. But I tag in Phoenix to burn the meter she needs, tag her out and build more just to burn for the other two or save for her. Effective but not a good strategy against Morrigan. Meter drain all day...

Dahbomb

Wow at those X23 combos. I haven't been following X23s damage potental but her getting 1 million off 1 bar is very impressive.

I might think Log Trap is super good for her, but most people think Jam Session is her best assist.

Looking at training mode videos? ;-)

The teams I picked were not thought out. Wesker was just going in as battery. Didn't help. X-23 for rush down. Helped but not by much. Ammy was just for reflecting. Which helped stall but still ended horribly.
In Vanilla Tk overdrive M had a longer recovery if my memory is correct. Didn't find it much useful then but learned that in Ultimate it can allows double air dash. Also it's a nice way to get around without needing tri jumps. And if push blocked then she is safe in the air. It also combos too but not as easy as L version. My Trish and Morrigan need serious overhaul. I spend more time on Phoenix then them let alone Ammy who got thrown into the corner. I don't usually use them other then battery and shields. To be honest, I would learn more of those two if I wasn't so damn lazy...
Ah. I just added Phoenix to my team, so I'm used to having to win with Dormammu/Morrigan. I panic if just Phoenix is left. X-23 is one of Dormammu's worst matchups, she's fast, small, and has crazy normals. I just have to run and see if I can find space.

I think you should incorporate Round Trip and your Phoenix assist into your Trish blockstrings for more pressure.

I don't really use Trish or Morrigan for damage. Only for building meter and poking the other team. But I tag in Phoenix to burn the meter she needs, tag her out and build more just to burn for the other two or save for her. Effective but not a good strategy against Morrigan. Meter drain all day...
I used Trish/Dormammu/Morrigan for a while, and I stopped because I noticed that when Dormammu died, there wasn't anything left. Round Harvest and Maximum Voltage just aren't great ways to burn meter. Trish is good at securing the 5 bars, but not spending them. That's what I like about Dormammu. If someone snaps Phoenix in, the game is far from over.

I've tried the "tag Phoenix in to make her Dark" strategy, but I'm not great at getting Dormammu back in afterward to rebuild the meter. There are also some teams that scare the crap out of me too much with their incoming mixups (Zero, Spencer) to want Dark Phoenix to have to deal with that even with Phoenix Rage (input reversals). I've toyed with the idea of just keeping Dark Phoenix in and not burning X-Factor, because Dark Harmonizer + Dark Hole can keep her going for quite some time.

Frantic

I don't think you can honestly say you suck when there's that much lag, lol.

I'm criminally bad when it comes to offering critique, but I think you need to simplify your gameplan. You try to do too many things at once, and try to use too many setups without regard to what the other person is doing. You need to come up with a basic gameplan, stick with it, and then figure out situations that you can apply your other setups and gameplans to your basic gameplan.

I might think Log Trap is super good for her, but most people think Jam Session is her best assist.

Looking at training mode videos? ;-)

Ah. I just added Phoenix to my team, so I'm used to having to win with Dormammu/Morrigan. I panic if just Phoenix is left. X-23 is one of Dormammu's worst matchups, she's fast, small, and has crazy normals. I just have to run and see if I can find space.

I think you should incorporate Round Trip and your Phoenix assist into your Trish blockstrings for more pressure.

I used Trish/Dormammu/Morrigan for a while, and I stopped because I noticed that when Dormammu died, there wasn't anything left. Round Harvest and Maximum Voltage just aren't great ways to burn meter. Trish is good at securing the 5 bars, but not spending them. That's what I like about Dormammu. If someone snaps Phoenix in, the game is far from over.

I've tried the "tag Phoenix in to make her Dark" strategy, but I'm not great at getting Dormammu back in afterward to rebuild the meter. There are also some teams that scare the crap out of me too much with their incoming mixups (Zero, Spencer) to want Dark Phoenix to have to deal with that even with Phoenix Rage (input reversals). I've toyed with the idea of just keeping Dark Phoenix in and not burning X-Factor, because Dark Harmonizer + Dark Hole can keep her going for quite some time.

But don't you get a rush from her being last? It's fun to see the other team just run only to have it all come crashing down. Or a giant Fire Bird engulfing them, either one is fun to watch. Thanks I'll look into that pressure. I got a friend who runs X-23/Nemesis/Ryu. That team is just crazy at getting in your face. But suffers horribly from my team since the whole team isn't meant for the air. Got anti air, but none that help get them down from super jump height. I've got to figure out something to counter Dormammu since this is going to be bugging me for the rest of the night. Rush down may be the answer but other then X-23, who is just as fast and small? For the tagging thing, I think it's up to the situation. Most high level players will get Phoenix with a mix up or something regardless if she was Dark or not. I wouldn't dare do that if I knew you or God's Beard would get her with a mix up. Actually you got my Dark Phoenix with a mix up with yours. Need to save the meter in those situations and wait. But against your Morrigan it isn't safe to hold it either.

But don't you get a rush from her being last? It's fun to see the other team just run only to have it all come crashing down. Or a giant Fire Bird engulfing them, either one is fun to watch. Thanks I'll look into that pressure. I got a friend who runs X-23/Nemesis/Ryu. That team is just crazy at getting in your face. But suffers horribly from my team since the whole team isn't meant for the air. Got anti air, but none that help get them down from super jump height. I've got to figure out something to counter Dormammu since this is going to be bugging me for the rest of the night. Rush down may be the answer but other then X-23, who is just as fast and small? For the tagging thing, I think it's up to the situation. Most high level players will get Phoenix with a mix up or something regardless if she was Dark or not. I wouldn't dare do that if I knew you or God's Beard would get her with a mix up. Actually you got my Dark Phoenix with a mix up with yours. Need to save the meter in those situations and wait. But against your Morrigan it isn't safe to hold it either.
I definitely get a rush, but I get a rush from all of my characters. My team is a constant high for me. My Phoenix is still pretty new, so I fuck up the win just as often as I make the comeback at this point. It's definitely better than anchoring Morrigan, though, which I did for about 5000 games and was extremely painful. She's such a bad anchor.

I'm still getting used to when it's okay to burn meter with Dormammu. Ending combos with Chaotic Flame is okay because I end the combo with Dark Harmonizer, so that's 1/3 of a bar back. Then I do Dark Matter + Dark Harmonizer, which is another 1/3 of a bar back, and I can usually get 1D2C or 2D1C charged and let it go, and then call Dark Harmonizer again, so that's the full bar back from Chaotic Flame. I especially went overboard because I was using Dormammu on point, and of course Dormammu vs. Phoenix is all about Dormammu burning meter for that 1-shot kill. It bit me in the ass a few times. The most annoying one was when I did Stalking Flare -> Astral Vision and then messed up the follow-up. That should be a free kill if you block Stalking Flare on the ground, there's just no way anyone can block Morrigan reliably when pinned that long.

Characters that counter Dormammu, according to F. Champ:
Viper
Zero
Vergil
Wesker
Spencer
Dante
Hawkeye
Dr. Strange
Wolverine
Thor

If you want to keep Dark Harmonizer, I think your best bet is probably Dante. He's very good at turtling and getting an offense going alone, and I'm sure he can use TK Overdrive in blockstrings for a teleport crossup.

Solune

Vergil, Dante, Doom, Rocket Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Taskmaster, Shuma-Gorath, Strider. Those would be my top choices for a third, not in any particular order. All of them work very well with Hawkeye and Morrigan.

Interesting that you don't have a Dorm in this list, any particular reason?

Chrisis started a new thing that I think is very good:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...elopment-cycle-1-taskmaster-doom-ammy.174215/

If I were in charge of balancing Marvel, these would be my Storm changes:
1) Tracking Lightning Strike. Works like Blackheart's Inferno from MvC2, but the L input makes the bolt appear 1/4 of a screen in front of the opposing character, M makes the bolt appear on top of the character, and H makes the bolt appear 1/4 of a screen behind the opposing character. This move may be performed in the air, and causes a ground bounce.

2) Storm may now call assists again after super jumping into Float.

3) Lightning Strike M is now one of Storm's assists (replaces Typhoon).

4) Whirlwind H replaces Whirlwind M as an assist.

5) Typhoon reaches superjump height and causes a spinning knockdown. Typhoon is now cancelable into other specials (i.e. Typhoon x Lightning Strike is possible).

Interesting that you don't have a Dorm in this list, any particular reason?
I was trying to offer characters who benefit the entire team. Dormammu is selfish. He's not going to help Hawkeye or Morrigan with any bad matchups, and as I once said, if you base a team on Dark Harmonizer it's bad to have a meter burner on point. So that would mean no point Hawkeye, which suggests a team order of either:
Dormammu/Hawkeye/Morrigan
Dormammu/Morrigan/Hawkeye

Morrigan doesn't get a lot from Hawkeye - this is about what Hawkeye gets from Morrigan. So team 2 structure is out.

Thus you would have:
Dormammu/Hawkeye/Morrigan

Dormammu doesn't get a lot from Hawkeye, and you're basically dealing with all the hardship point Dormammu has, without an excellent "get off me" or space creating assist, your second character is Hawkeye, who gets hit butt kicked by mix-ups, and then you have Morrigan anchor. The general team structures offered by these three just don't seem very appealing to me.

I run point Dormammu because I have Phoenix to make the comeback for bad matchups. Outside of that and situations where you give Dormammu a proper "get off me" assist, it's just a bad idea to put him on point.

You could try Hawkeye/Dormammu/Morrigan, but I think Hawkeye will get chewed up by bad matchups, and those bad matchups are also going to be Dormammu's bad matchups (Wolverine, X-23). Dark Hole offers some nice combo extension for Hawkeye, and is good for frame traps, but that's about it.

I suppose the combination could work, but it's not something I would advise anyone on. F. Champ recently said that he feels like Dormammu is a liability, and I'm not quite in agreement with him, but I see where he is coming from. Dormammu is like C. Viper, X-23, Wolverine, etc. You pick the character to win with that character. That's the only role the character has. However, unlike those other characters, Dormammu cannot win the game right off the bat. He has to be built up via a DHC usually. So, IMO Dormammu, outside of the intermediate play we all engage in, is a character you pick as a character specialist, and the entire team needs to be about Dormammu. You'll notice that there's only one successful Dormammu player in the world, and this is just how he plays the character.

On another note, I'm a big believer in a team playing in reverse order. In a Hawkeye/Dormammu/Morrigan team, if Morrigan gets snapped in, it's a pretty crappy situation. Not awful, but Hawkeye and Dormammu aren't going to be opening anyone up for her. It'll be like a Phoenix team, where you desperately want to DHC or tag out ASAP. However, you don't have Phoenix waiting in the back to make it all worthwhile, you have a gimpy anchor whose assist you rely on.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I expect you to be signing up for this, Solune!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506789

Hopefully Onionfrog, Kioshen, and Hypernima will as well. That would bring us to 14, so 2 more for a nice 16-man tournament. Not a bad number for a game that's arguably 2 years old.

Kioshen

Edit: Oh yeah, and I expect you to be signing up for this, Solune!

Hopefully Onionfrog, Kioshen, and Hypernima will as well. That would bring us to 14, so 2 more for a nice 16-man tournament. Not a bad number for a game that's arguably 2 years old.

For some reason I totally missed this ... thanks for the reminder ! Talk about the worst time ever to have another team crisis -_-'.

I know that feel bro ...

onionfrog

Is anyone up for games on PSN? I am on a wireless connection right now, which is not ideal. I'm super rusty, so it should be free wins for whoever wants to play.

PSN id: onionfrog

What the hell? Jill Somersault beats Chun Lightning legs? News to me. Really wish these two saw more play. Especially Chun. I used her a lot and I like her.
Somersault is like a Shoryuken that you get full combos off of and is safe on block. No joke.

Is anyone up for games on PSN? I am on a wireless connection right now, which is not ideal. I'm super rusty, so it should be free wins for whoever wants to play.

PSN id: onionfrog

I saw that and I was debating whether I'd have enough free time in my schedule to actually do it.

Screw it, I'll make time for it! I posted on the thread that I'm in.

Also still very much up for some matches on PSN today if anyone is available.
Check PSN for Gods_Beard?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
04_artwork02.jpg

04_artwork05.jpg

04_artwork04.jpg

04_artwork05.jpg

04_artwork06.jpg

Via this dude's DeviantArt. Apparently he streams him doing these too.

Top Bottom