• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't Famitsu say one of their huge announcements in the next issue was going to be capcom?My guess is Mega Man and not Marvel if true since we heard folks saying there was supposed to be more announced on the anniversary, but it wasn't ready and it got pulled from the conference.
Gonna request a source on that, I haven't heard such but then again I don't pay close attention to Famitsu.

Solune

Looking for some advice in team construction:

I've been dicking around with a ton of different teams for way too long. I'm making a commitment to stick with one team until Evo, but I'd like some advice in what people think is optimal from the characters I want to use:

Dante, Trish, X-23, Doom

Right now I'm thinking Dante X-23 Trish, but am not sure on order. I want to have access to Trish's unblockable and his helmbreaker + x-23's ankle slice gives me that.

Doom is kind of a side thought, if you guys really don't think the above team could work. I can play him, but he's not my favorite.

I would play Trish/Dante/X-23 in that order, if you want Doom you can also play Trish/Doom/X-23. In any case, with either team you have a godlike anti-air assist, unblockable setup, and safe DHC.

shaowebb

from dat link said:
Additionally, the magazine will also have a “Huge Capcom Project” and Sony Computer Entertainment interview.

Yeah thats the line I was remembering. Who knows...maybe Dahbomb will get some good news or something. Poor dude needs to catch a break. If its a Marvel announcement does that mean he wins the bet and drops the new avatar by technicality?

Since we have so many Pokemon fans here:
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red/Blue. Is there a website that can explain how things have changed since then?

How does playing other people work on the DS? Can you search for opponents like in fighting games? Is there a ranking system?

I noticed that websites have tier rankings for Pokemon. How does tiered play work online? Are there pre-set standards?

GB does some really predictable stuff with EMD. Watch out for it.

My sister had Blue, I had Red, and I used her save file to trade back and forth.

BLASTOISE BITCH! He's a goddamn military veteran.

Why can't you?

OG team:

Golem
Blastoise
Mewtwo
Moltres
Articuno
Zapdos

I was a young tier whore.

I don't play online but I think you can get people's friend codes and play that way. And go to serebeii or bubapedia. They typically list the changes for each game. But biggest ones are: moves aren't determined by type whether they are physical/special, each pokemon has a special passive ability now, nature's determine stat growth, dark/steel added as types, and you have co op battles now.

mr. puppy

Banned
i want Street Fighter V over another vs. style game to be honest, I can be fine with Marvel for awhile and I know they'll fuck up the balance on the first release anyway.

Oh course, it could be Tekken x SF?

shaowebb

Joint venture with NRS where Capcom makes Marvel vs DC title with agreement to let NRS do DC vs Marvel later on similar to the SF x Tekken deal.

Your hopes are now over-inflated for this announcement.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Huge" project immediately rules out all fighting games IMO. They don't need massive teams to make fighting games, just the same sweatshops they've always used.

My guess is Dragon's Dogma 2 and/or something ambiguously announced without specific platforms and likely for next gen.

EDIT: @mr. puppy, it wouldn't be TKxSF at all, Namco would be the one to announce that, and it probably wouldn't be huge since its already announced and probably wouldn't be on a scale that no other fighting game is at.

Yeah thats the line I was remembering. Who knows...maybe Dahbomb will get some good news or something. Poor dude needs to catch a break. If its a Marvel announcement does that mean he wins the bet and drops the new avatar by technicality?
He would win IMO, but it's not going to be a Marvel announcement. "Big project" is not "expansion with 10 more fighters", which is what we'd be lucky to get. Maybe Fighters of Capcom or Darkstalkers 4, but most likely none of the above.

I don't play online but I think you can get people's friend codes and play that way. And go to serebeii or bubapedia. They typically list the changes for each game. But biggest ones are: moves aren't determined by type whether they are physical/special, each pokemon has a special passive ability now, nature's determine stat growth, dark/steel added as types, and you have co op battles now.
Thanks!

i want Street Fighter V over another vs. style game to be honest, I can be fine with Marvel for awhile and I know they'll fuck up the balance on the first release anyway.

Oh course, it could be Tekken x SF?
Holy shit guys Lupinko just confirmed Street Fighter V!

In all seriousness, Street Fighter V won't happen until all 3 next generation systems are out. It would not be wise of Capcom to invest in a sequel right now. TxSF is a Namco project.

Joint venture with NRS where Capcom makes Marvel vs DC title with agreement to let NRS do DC vs Marvel later on similar to the SF x Tekken deal.

Your hopes are now over-inflated for this announcement.
Ew. And impossible!

Dahbomb

Devil May Cry 5.

Internally developed using maximum Capcom resources.

Godly return of Vergil (with manly beard and demonic scars since he has been through so much shit).

60FPS, hard lock on, more open world level design, both Dante and Vergil playable.

Next-gen consoles only.

Dahbomb cries manly tears.

Dark Phoenix saying "I've destroyed whole planets, so what chance have you got?" to Galactus is really strange.

Also, Ranked and Heroes & Heralds are dead right now, only got one game between both of them :-(

761 games

shaowebb

Devil May Cry 5.

Internally developed using maximum Capcom resources.

Godly return of Vergil (with manly beard and demonic scars since he has been through so much shit).

60FPS, hard lock on, more open world level design, both Dante and Vergil playable.

Next-gen consoles only.

Dahbomb cries manly tears.

It also has the ability to spawn as many enemies in one area as Ninety Nine Nights 2. Dem combos son. SSS get.

If I was gonna make a DMC5, you'd play as Vergil the whole time. It'd start with Vergil vs Mundus, then have Vergil fighting through Hell and getting captured, losing to Dante three times as Nelo Angelo then coming back after Mundus is killed by taking over Nero's body. Then the rest of the game would be Dante and Vergil fighting through waves of hellspawn let in by Vergil breaking the seal to get to each other and finish the fight.

jbemLUj6xNKZkn.png

avatar without the white border.

OMG thank you smurfx!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Since we have so many Pokemon fans here:
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red/Blue. Is there a website that can explain how things have changed since then?

The special stat got split into special attack and special defense

Pokemon have personality types now that boost one stat and lower another or neither.

Pokemon have a pasive ability now such as a common ghost one in levitate which makes them immune to ground attacks.

Pokemon can now hold items, which give either passive effects or they trigger when something like a status effect happens and cures it*one time use*

Attacks damage is no longer tied to it's type, all types now have physical or special damage moves.

Pokemon can fuck now and pass moves on this is the only way for some pokemon to learn some moves, sometimes it can require a chain of 3 or 4 breedings.

Online trading and battling

2v2 and 3v3 battles *meh*

Lots more set up based moves and team synergy over all in the later versions. It's kinda like marvel where you need to have teams that work together good.

Pokemon is by far the best non fighting game competitive game.

Every version only gets better and better as far as that goes. Red and Blue are fucking pieces of shit by black and whites standards.

Can you guys tell me more about how online battling stuff works? That's big gray area for me right now. Especially whether you can have "tier restricted" fights and such. It would kind of suck if you went online and everyone was using a set of 6 legendaries/pseudo-legendaries.

Pokemon is by far the best non fighting game competitive game.

Every version only gets better and better as far as that goes. Red and Blue are fucking pieces of shit by black and whites standards.
What about DotA?

Aaaand to keep it on topic:
I think I'm going to go back to Phoenix's TK Overdrive assist. There are very few matchups where I'm comfortable calling TK Shot with Morrigan during the zoning game, and she has to fly around at superjump height so much that I don't get to use it anyway. It was really nice for the endless 2D1C waves to chip people out with, but I don't think it would work as well if people took some time to think about their characters and the options they have.

I also discovered some new TK Overdrive tech that's really sexy. Basically, I can do c.LH, Flame Carpet + TK Overdrive, Dark Hole, and it combos. This is useful because many people strangely stop blocking after c.H, even though I always end my blockstrings in Flame Carpet (or launcher if I confuse myself). If they don't stop blocking, it's a really nice blockstring, and instead of Dark Hole I can Dark Matter for a free cross-up. I know people love those Dark Matter cross-ups, so look forward to more of them!

I will use TK Overdrive more how Ranmasama uses Double Lariat, as a way to open people up after taking to the air. It's a very effective technique that I'm fond of. Also, cool fact people may not know: TK Overdrive + Mass Change H works for full combos just like TK Overdrive + Mass Change M does, so it gives Dormammu a real 50/50. TK Shot could unfortunately be ducked under or jumped over by most characters. :-(

Now I just need Morrigan / TK Overdrive tech. I wonder if Caj had any success in finding team synergy, he kind of disappeared... Maybe he got sucked into the abyss...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Oh I left out the fact the pokemons DNA "IV's" Get passed on too, this is an invisible modifier you gotta do extra side math to figure out, but it caps off at an extra value of 31 on a stat and at the lowest 0.

The parents each pass on 2 of theirs to the kid at random.

The other thing I left out, even though they were already in pokemon red and blue are EV's these are stats you gain when you defeat a pokemon, the pokemon you beat determines what you get, so say killing a dugtrio would give you 2 ev's in speed, when you get I think 4 or 5 I dont remember you get 1 point in your speed stat as a bonus when you level up. They added an item called weights that doubled the amount of EV's you gained to speed this process up. You can only have 255 total ev's in a single stat and I believe the total amount of ev points on a pokemon is something like 535 I dont remember exactly

Can you guys tell me more about how online battling stuff works? That's big gray area for me right now. Especially whether you can have "tier restricted" fights and such. It would kind of suck if you went online and everyone was using a set of 6 legendaries/pseudo-legendaries.

Requires the pokemon version of friend codesf so you are pretty much going to be playing by the rules anyways.

DotA is fine I rank it 3rd then unreal tournament 2004/quake 3 in 4th followed by SC

LoL is garbage as a competitive game though not losing gold on death and players getting less and less gold while dominating really shits on that.

Oh I left out the fact the pokemons DNA "IV's" Get passed on too, this is an invisible modifier you gotta do extra side math to figure out, but it caps off at an extra value of 31 on a stat and at the lowest 0.

The parents each pass on 2 of theirs to the kid at random.
I saw that and just skipped the details. -_-

Requires the pokemon version of friend codesf so you are pretty much going to be playing by the rules anyways.

DotA is fine I rank it 3rd then unreal tournament 2004/quake 3 in 4th followed by SC
What rules? That's what I'm trying to figure out. -_-

So you can't do like miscellaneous tournaments? Or is there a tournament mode for friends and such?

Respectable DotA ranking. LoL is dog shit mixed with cat vomit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

So you can't do like miscellaneous tournaments? Or is there a tournament mode for friends and such?

The rules are comunity rules, basicly no ubbers and no evasion raising moves such as double team. There are several banned pokemon due to the passive abilities some pokemon got that made them WAY TOO FUCKING STRONG for the current game environment and would of ended up having everyone play that team instead of a variety of teams.

Smogon has a good rule list to go by but that's not the only community.

I don't think there is an actual tournament mode that I am aware of the game does keep track of how many times you won and lost vs players in your pal pad though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Online isn't much with randoms. People can totally hack their shit or use Pokemans that some think should be banned (Speed Boost Blaziken, Wombuffet). Only ones you're not allowed to bring online are certain legendaries.

If you are going to play online, best to get someone's friend code and play with them.

Respectable DotA ranking. LoL is dog shit mixed with cat vomit.

The most common tiers used are:

Uber
Overused
Underused
Never used
Unevolved

Uber means anything goes, pretty much. Legendaries are fair game, no bans, etc.
OU is mostly the same, but Legends are banned. Some places have certain abilities banned on certain Pokemon (and certain Pokemon banned in general), but that's mainly with Smogon, the SRK of Pokemon battling.

The rest are basically Pokemon that don't see use because a different one does what they do better, or are just weak in terms of stats and movepools. Charizard, for example, is in the Never Used tier, while Lucario is in OU.

There are different mothods of playing online. Using a DS is the most obvious one, but there is also "Pokemon Online" which is a free program that is just battles. You can tweak stats freely along with movesets, and you can even challenge people to games using only Gen 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow) moves and Pokemon. It's very customizable and a very good option if you can't get online with a DS.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Pokemon online is alright I guess. They follow smogon's rules too closely. For example I have Dream World Feraligatr on my team which is unreleased so I'm placed in the same ranking things as people with full uber teams.

Honetsly playing it was the most fun when you just have a group of friends to play with and go with w/e rules you guys decide on.

The rules are comunity rules, basicly no ubbers and no evasion raising moves such as double team. There are several banned pokemon due to the passive abilities some pokemon got that made them WAY TOO FUCKING STRONG for the current game environment and would of ended up having everyone play that team instead of a variety of teams.

Smogon has a good rule list to go by but that's not the only community.

I don't think there is an actual tournament mode that I am aware of the game does keep track of how many times you won and lost vs players in your pal pad though.
I've been reading a lot of Smogon.

It would be nice if the 3DS version added leagues with enforced rules and such.

Online isn't much with randoms. People can totally hack their shit or use Pokemans that some think should be banned (Speed Boost Blaziken, Wombuffet). Only ones you're not allowed to bring online are certain legendaries.

If you are going to play online, best to get someone's friend code and play with them.
Oh, that sucks. Well when the game comes out I'm sure I'll have plenty of GAF folks to play with. Maybe we could do tournaments or a "Pokemon Ranbat".

The most common tiers used are:

Uber
Overused
Underused
Never used
Unevolved

Uber means anything goes, pretty much. Legendaries are fair game, etc.
OU is mostly the same, but Legends are banned. Some places have certain abilities banned on certain Pokemon, but that's mainly with Smogon, the SRK of Pokemon battling.

The rest are basically Pokemon that don't see use because a different one does what they do better, or are just weak in terms of stats and movepools. Charizard, for example, is in the Never Used tier, while Lucario is in OU.
I saw the tiers, I was just confused about how they are enforced, or if they even are. Like, whether I could search for a "Little Cup" battle, and maybe be ranked within a "Little Cup" section. That would be nice. How does it work when a Pokemon is listed in multiple tiers, though? For example, I saw that Scizor is in OU and Uber. So if he's good enough for Uber, why is he allowed in OU?

Also, what's VGC '12?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So if he's good enough for Uber, why is he allowed in OU?

Pokemon that are still viable in Uber doesn't mean they are too good for OU they are just on the lower end of the spectrum at that point and their typings or a perk let them barely hold on. A lot of OU pokemon can hold their own in Ubers due to team set up usage and other things. The main thing that makes ubers uber is stat totals or bullshit ability's or moves they learn.

Pokemon online is alright I guess. They follow smogon's rules too closely. For example I have Dream World Feraligatr on my team which is unreleased so I'm placed in the same ranking things as people with full uber teams.

Honetsly playing it was the most fun when you just have a group of friends to play with and go with w/e rules you guys decide on.
Well like I said, Smogon is the SRK equivalent of Pokemon. I can't stand their rules either, but there's sadly not many other options.
I saw the tiers, I was just confused about how they are enforced, or if they even are. Like, whether I could search for a "Little Cup" battle, and maybe be ranked within a "Little Cup" section. That would be nice. How does it work when a Pokemon is listed in multiple tiers, though? For example, I saw that Scizor is in OU and Uber. So if he's good enough for Uber, why is he allowed in OU?

Also, what's VGC '12?

I haven't played online with a DS in years, so I can't answer if they do that on a DS. You can do that with PO, though.

Also, that Scizor listing is a typo. I just went to Smogon's tier list for B/W and he's OU, not Uber. Unless you think that he's Uber because they have a moveset for him. People make movesets for Ubers all the time because a lot of Pokemon that would never see play normally are actually really good hard counters for common Legendaries, or become that much better when your teammates happen to be Groudon or Kyogre. Scizor is one of them.

VGC '12 is a format from the last VGC event, which was a NINTENDO-SPONSORED (hint hint, Capcom) Doubles-only tournament. I'm not a fan of Doubles, so I can't really give you more info than that.

Pokemon that are still viable in Uber doesn't mean they are too good for OU they are just on the lower end of the spectrum at that point and their typings or a perk let them barely hold on.
Some of the Pokemon fit into 3-4 tiers, though. What's up there? I should have used a different example, like this guy:
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/rotom

Well like I said, Smogon is the SRK equivalent of Pokemon. I can't stand their rules either, but there's sadly not many other options.
What's wrong with their rules?

I haven't played online with a DS in years, so I can't answer if they do that on a DS. You can do that with PO, though.
PO?

Also, that Scizor listing is a typo. I just went to Smogon's tier list for B/W and he's OU, not Uber. Unless you think that he's Uber because they have a moveset for him. People make movesets for Ubers all the time because a lot of Pokemon that would never see play normally are actually really good hard counters for common Legendaries, or become that much better when your teammates happen to be Groudon or Kyogre. Scizor is one of them.
Ah okay.

VGC '12 is a format from the last VGC event, which was Doubles only. I'm not a fan of Doubles, so I can't really give you more info than that.
That's all the info I needed, thanks.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
VGC are like the official tournaments put on by Nintendo (or maybe just the Pokemon Company, not sure). They are doubles only and don't follow any community based ruleset either.

Depends on the build. Like Dream world venusaur is in the OU due to its ability.

Those rotoms were two different builds. One ran a substitute strategy of steadily wearing the opponent down via pain split and the other ran choice build of just switching out and then dealing high damage via the choice increase.

Like dream world venusaur gains a speed boost if sun shining so use Dreamworld Ninetales with drought and tag in venusaur then solar beam, solar beam and such.

Top Bottom