• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Getting back into the swing of things and finally cleared Deadpool's missions last night. #10 was an absolute bitch, but great wavedashing practice (was unfamiliar with this technique in vanilla).

On Nova's last mission, and I'm loving him so far. Got a really nice moveset with some very 'tangible' combos. His hypers are a bit yawn-inducing, but at least they're effective.

I'd love to get a team going with him in. Still got a soft-spot for Iron Man and Deadpool from vanilla, but I have a feeling as a team these three would never work...
From the Capcom side, I'm leaning towards someone small and weird like VJ or Ammy, but does anyone have experience with any combination of these? (Nova is a must!)

Anyway, great fun getting back into this game. If anyone plays on Vita then go ahead and add B-Genius. Cheers!

Zissou

Is there a list anywhere of marvel tournament results for some recent top 8s along with the characters and the orders in which they were used?

Solune

So, Using Doom in the lab, Doom's standing version of his Photon Array does the same damage as his Air Photon Array (150k at max scaling)... So there's no reason not to use the Air version since it causes hard knockdown, and you get 48k~ from doing Plasma Beam before Photon Array anyways.

I also tested this using Spencer's Slant Shot assist.

Zissou

Thanks! How many majors have there been since then? I'm interested less in the usage rates of specific characters and more in what the trends are in overall team composition strategies, i.e., how does the landscape look comparing Point1/Point2/Assist teams, Point/Assist/Dark Anchor teams, etc.

So, Using Doom in the lab, Doom's standing version of his Photon Array does the same damage as his Air Photon Array (150k at max scaling)... So there's no reason not to use the Air version since it causes hard knockdown, and you get 48k~ from doing Plasma Beam before Photon Array anyways.

I also tested this using Spencer's Slant Shot assist.

I thought you could achive more damage with standing photon array in some situations where you can have both sides hit simultaneously. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Solune

I thought you could achive more damage with standing photon array in some situations where you can have both sides hit simultaneously. Maybe it's just my imagination.

I don't think so, I think this was a misconception previously, my max damage combo with Doom is 683k and whenever I get the maximum hits (50 mashed) I get 833k. I also tested both Air and Standing versions Raw, they do the same damage which is around 340-380k, I forget the exact number off hand.

Dahbomb

I'm interested less in the usage rates of specific characters and more in what the trends are in overall team composition strategies, i.e., how does the landscape look comparing Point1/Point2/Assist teams, Point/Assist/Dark Anchor teams, etc.
More Vergils, more Dooms, more Morrigans winning tournaments.

Nova, Spencer and Strange making appearances because of Yipes. The rest is more or less the same. Phoenix is pretty much gone from the meta game only FChamp uses her and that's on his B team.

More Dante players popping up as well. Strider players still on the down low.

In other news Sanford (the King) is picking up Nova/Vergil/Strider to fight against ChrisG. I like his thinking... but he needs to at least learn how to play with Strider well.

Solune

You can't do forward C after the anti air strider can you? I thought that shit took your ground bounce.

Vajra only causes hard knockdown, doesn't use up any bounces. Plus you can Centurion Rush L from a fullscreen Vajra hitconfirm. Pairing them together seems like a braindead decision to me.

Vice

You can't do forward C after the anti air strider can you? I thought that shit took your ground bounce.

You can forward H after. I do it all the time, the timing is very lenient. You cam also use his otg slide. Energy javeinl will work as well deooending on when you use it . The pair is great at controlling the screen.

Toss in someone with good otg combos like Doom, Wesker or Hawkeye and the team is a nightmare.

Vergil works great in the middle as well. Unblockables with the Nova assist. Combos off of helm breaker with vajra. Extra ground bounces in combos from the Nova assist.

Rapid slash is also one of Nova's best combo extending assists.

This is an interesting tidbit from Sven about a UMvC3 update. I'm not sure if he's being sincere or just wants everyone to leave him the hell alone:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...umvc3-updates-asks-people-not-overwhelm-them/

FChamp just did Karst's drill assist combo on stream.
I'd like to see Champ use this combo in corners:

j.S, c.LHS, sj.MMHS, Dark Spell M, Flame Carpet + TK Overdrive, Dark Matter x Dark Spell L, s.S, 1D1C, Purification L, Chaotic Flame

A little over 800K damage.

Hopped back in after a bit last night of a hiatus and got wrecked :/

Looking to mix things up with a new team. I'm thinking of Going with Task / Deadpool as two of the three. Do they have synergy on the same team? If so who would be a good anchor? Right now I play Nova / Task / Sent.

Thanks.

mr. puppy

Banned
This is an interesting tidbit from Sven about a UMvC3 update. I'm not sure if he's being sincere or just wants everyone to leave him the hell alone:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...umvc3-updates-asks-people-not-overwhelm-them/

Sven and all of Capcom need to learn that growing and cultivating a fanbase means giving them what they want and not fucking up by letting lucrative properties expire. This must be hard for them to understand, b/c I gurantee you the fighters of capcom or whatever is going to be loaded with Gems and DLC bullshit.

Sven and all of Capcom need to learn that growing and cultivating a fanbase means giving them what they want and not fucking up by letting lucrative properties expire. This must be hard for them to understand, b/c I gurantee you the fighters of capcom or whatever is going to be loaded with Gems and DLC bullshit.
One of the reasons I want SFxT to fail hard is I want Capcom to know that what they did with that game is not okay. That cannot become a standard practice.

Don't spam too much just ask nicely and they will move forward. Still laughing as fans still blame Marvel for the entire roster choice despite a lot of the other favorites appearing in games.

Don't spam too much just ask nicely and they will move forward. Still laughing as fans still blame Marvel for the entire roster choice despite a lot of the other favorites appearing in games.
Laugh all you want, but that's how it is. Capcom was pretty blatant about how character selection worked, and Marvel hasn't disagreed with them. It's not at all farfetched to think that Marvel might treat Capcom differently since it's a Japanese company. Unless you really think Capcom fought hard for Nova over Venom and such.

onionfrog

One of the reasons I want SFxT to fail hard is I want Capcom to know that what they did with that game is not okay. That cannot become a standard practice.
This is why I haven't bought any of the on disk DLC for that game. It also helps that I find marvel much more fun to play than SFxT.

Also I think I'm going to have to make a twitter account just to tell marvel that I would like another umvc3 update.

What would you guys realistically want in an update? I'm thinking:

- 4-8 new characters.
- Rebalancing for existing characters(Buff low tier, give characters with shitty assists some good ones, nerf hidden missiles)
- 2-4 "new" stages. (Could even be rehashed like umvc3's new stages)
- Offline versus and player matches for H&H mode.
-Silver and Gold herald colors unlocked from the start.
- Replays and hitbox viewer from vita version.
- Improved net code? (I doubt it)
- When leader of a lobby leaves, the private slots stay private.
- Custom soundtrack support on ps3.
- Megaman
- Available as download or new disc.
- $39,99 for disc, $19.99 for download.

I don't really care who they add either(besides megaman).

The MarvelGAF cycle spins on and on...

Dahbomb

THIS is why we banned links from Eventhubs + Sven in the first place.

In other news there's a DMC3 Dante costume in DmC. It actually looks pretty good.

Actually, remember in interviews stated that Capcom execs urged them to not use old characters. Anyway, I am pretty positive the list had fan favorites as well. Numbers man, numbers.

This is why I haven't bought any of the on disk DLC for that game. It also helps that I find marvel much more fun to play than SFxT.

Also I think I'm going to have to make a twitter account just to tell marvel that I would like another umvc3 update.

What would you guys realistically want in an update? I'm thinking:

- 4-8 new characters.
- Rebalancing for existing characters(Buff low tier, give characters with shitty assists some good ones, nerf hidden missiles)
- 2-4 "new" stages. (Could even be rehashed like umvc3's new stages)
- Offline versus and player matches for H&H mode.
-Silver and Gold herald colors unlocked from the start.
- Replays and hitbox viewer from vita version.
- Improved net code? (I doubt it)
- When leader of a lobby leaves, the private slots stay private.
- Custom soundtrack support on ps3.
- Megaman
- Available as download or new disc.
- $39,99 for disc, $19.99 for download.

I don't really care who they add either(besides megaman).

The MarvelGAF cycle spins on and on...
I expect at least 10 more characters. I would pay $40 for 4 more characters (which is what I care about), but I would not be pleased. Then again, my team isn't changing unless Nina gets added in. I doubt I'd find an anchor that fills my team out like Phoenix does. All of your changes are good, though.

THIS is why we banned links from Eventhubs + Sven in the first place.

In other news there's a DMC3 Dante costume in DmC. It actually looks pretty good.
Why? Because it gives us something to talk about?

I consider it a sign of progress that Sven has said "Capcom has heard your voice". To me, that means fan support has intrigued Capcom on another update, and we've made some kind of progress. That seems worth updating folks on to me.

Actually, remember in interviews stated that Capcom execs urged them to not use old characters. Anyway, I am pretty positive the list had fan favorites as well. Numbers man, numbers.
Old characters as in all the MvC2 guys, since the game needs new ones. The Ultimate Marvel cast was a straight, flat list given to Capcom by Marvel that said "these are the ones you get". Vanilla Marvel was largely a negotiation, but Ultimate was not.

shaowebb

I wouldn't mind a Marvel 4 announced for 2014 at this point. Updates are cool to I guess, but unless it includes some stuff other than balance tweaks then Im pretty meh on it.

I just want to see things like Heroes and Heralds polished for locals since it was such a good idea, new faces, and new moves thrown around. Also remove hidden missile assist and replace it with something else. That assist is just shutting down too much of the meta. Replace it as an assist or rebalance it so the things disappear or something . Plus the game in a sequel could really use a story mode like MK had using nice movies and such the way they advertised vanilla. Stuff like that plus frame data on the move list, the ability to upload combos online to a search engine for folks to download and attempt in training mode similar to "missions". Great way to grow the community in a more streamlined way.

In other words throw around a lot of single player additions to draw in a larger casual fanbase for the mass money since both sold under expectations. Money is how you keep the games coming and this needs to find good ways to draw in more money without resorting to antagonistic DLC like SFxTekken did. I'd also like to see a PC version as well.

Since my dreams of Sengoku Basara characters have died, the only things I will ask for are a reworked Hsien-Ko (Phoenix Wright could use a bit of help too, but I'm not sure what to ask for) and the Okami level, with the music. Damn it, such a waste of good music....

Did Capcom ever say HOW big the list was? No. There was a list and that happened to Capcom including Shuma/Sent which neither received positive fan reaction.

There is a list but how big was the list which Capcom won't say? And in terms of business practices I would place more faith in Marvel than Capcom.

Did Capcom ever say HOW big the list was? No. There was a list and that happened to Capcom including Shuma/Sent which neither received positive fan reaction.

There is a list but how big was the list which Capcom won't say? And in terms of business practices I would place more faith in Marvel than Capcom.
There was a Vanilla list, which was big and flexible.

Then there was an Ultimate list, which was small and inflexible.

This has been stated several times in interviews.

To me it sounds like it's Marvel that's holding up the update if he's linking us to Marvel reps.
Marvel and its bullshit licensing fees.

No, that is standard business practice to shift the blame to another person.

Sven is tired of being asked and just trying to shift the focus on Marvel.

EDIT: But HOW big was the list? You are avoiding the question. The Ultimate list was unflexible. The actual size of the list Capcom has explicitly avoided.

And also Marvel Lego. Done by WB. Who owns DC. Yeaaaahhhhh, really doubt Marvel is hard to work with if they are working with the owners of DC comics.

shaowebb

May as well post your picks for 12 new faces to add. However, I'd reaaaally like to see some names who are thrown on just for what move potential they add more than anything else.

I think with Daredevil's cane having that huge long rope he could add some really good assists and strategies to the game. A mobile character besides Spencer or Spiderman who could be tooled differently. Or maybe some BoF cast for the magic adding a lot of moveset and assist potential for new or unique setup tools. Stuff like that really would excite me the most. Game could use some more summon characters for folks who can pop hazards in front of or behind people. MODOK is fun, but he doesn't really do that like someone like Testament from Guilty Gear or something. Above new cast thought the game just needs more modes and features for single player casuals though to pull more money. You got to give the casuals something to do other than that reaaaally sad arcade mode whose endings were barely redone if at all.

No, that is standard business practice to shift the blame to another person.

Sven is tired of being asked and just trying to shift the focus on Marvel.

EDIT: But HOW big was the list? You are avoiding the question. The Ultimate list was unflexible. The actual size of the list Capcom has explicitly avoided.

And also Marvel Lego. Done by WB. Who owns DC. Yeaaaahhhhh, really doubt Marvel is hard to work with if they are working with the owners of DC comics.
Interviews strongly suggest that the list was exactly what ended up in the game.

If Marvel has another story, it's not that hard for them to tell it. I'd rather go with the one story we have than some manufactured overemphasized plausibility.

And I would rather go with the numbers from the company in question in regards to the list. Numbers are more factual representation of what is happening.

So characters with most overlay are the ones with the highest chance of being on the list.

Top Bottom