• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

*stares at Shaowebb*

1346.gif

GGs Kevo! I've never been air grabbed so much in a set. Our connection was very solid. I still couldn't get any plink dash air combos with magneto though. I hate having to dumb down his combo just to make sure I complete it. yeah same here. i was trying to go for the spencer zip loops, but the connection just wasn't enough for me to get those consistently, since that's my training mode/offline combo.

I would probably say sentinel is my best character. For some reason he always has been in all marvel games. I hated when you started to run away from him! Haha I didn't know what do except throw some random normals out and hope to confirm. Definitely something ill have to work on more. haha i felt confident wavedashing with wesker and going in for the air throw, and running away and zoning with taskmaster, but shit man your whackbot is relentless lol. props man.

Your spencer is on point. You rarely dropped any of his combos and one touch usually meant the death of that character. One question though. Why don't you do up grapple after the wesker otg assist for that unscaled 80k at midscreen instead of s.H into medium or low grapple? I run that team as well and I choose to go that route. If I'm missng something please tell me. thanks man. that's really the main reason i run him on point, so i can get (most of the time) a TOD combo, though i did tinker with wesker on point a while back so i landed a couple of slant shot resets. you know, i did the 80k mid screen against sentinel, but i couldnt get the timing down after the otg-dash-upgrapple. i tried it a few times midscreen and whiffed the upgrapple on nova and magneto, so my default is to just to st.H into medium grapple because it hits everyone.

Also, I wasn't getting bored when I switched teams. That's actually one of my co-main teams in this game. I have 3 teams that I like to consider as my main (gotta use those preset slots). Your taskmaster made me want play as him. Lets do it again soon oh okay, good to know. haha my only other team i can sort of play confidently is nova/task/akuma. you could probably teach me a few things about that team.

Little off topic: Who is going to SCR this week?

Azure J

Damn, maybe we should have all gotten together and chosen 5 characters to vote for to increase our influence on SRK...I would have given up 4 spots for other folks if everyone voted for Nina in turn.

LOL Megaman X, Gene, Nina, & Spidey Villain (Settled on Doc Oc) were the definites for me. I don't know who to use my last 2 Capcom votes on concretely between Rouge (Power Stone), Ruby Heart, Donovan, Bass.EXE, Sigma (I love the idea of X series getting massive rep in this game), Tessa and Jin Saotome. Marvel I'm way more loose about because they did a really good job with their roster being both vast and implemented well minus male/female ratios.

shaowebb

1357946049.jpg

I mean, she throws a freaking semi at THor. What other reason do you need?

LOL.

And Magik has a sword that cuts your soul so potentially meter damaging attacks plus she literally is the Ruler over Purgatory. Its her realm and she gets to summon demons on top of all the potential stuff Scarlet Witch could get with her magic.

She's just a more interesting choice for me. Besides her banter with Dormammu , Phoenix, and Strange would be golden.

Marz

I know he's not widely known or anything but for black doods you could go with Bishop from X-Men, dood shoots energy out of his hands n stuff plus he's a badass.

shaowebb

So? Wanda took the souls of her children and brought them back and gave them new bodies called Wiccan and Speed.

My point is I cant do what you just said as an attack. Magik is written for offense so I chose her. Scarlet Witch is good for plots because she means well but has more power than she has the mental health to use responsibly, but Magik is better fun for making a Marvel moveset. Its cool and all. Im not like "dont like things", but Magik is my choice if I gotta choose for a fighting game and Im sticking to it. Wasn't trying to argue who was more powerful I was just arguing whose powers rang out better to me as a potential thing you could create moves for in Mahvel without having to stretch too far.
I know he's not widely known or anything but for black doods you could go with Bishop from X-Men, dood shoots energy out of his hands n stuff plus he's a badass.

He was EXTREMELY hoped for in MVC2 when it was coming up when I was little, but he didn't get in and now he's so far off the map in terms of appearances that I doubt he'd ever get in sadly.

Goddamn, DeadPhoenix would rather have an "Open Slot" on his SRK poll than support Nina. -_-

Real talk Crimsonspider, I would have put Magik over Wanda if it weren't for you. You know I love demons.

Anyone want a copy of this for PS3?
I am demotivated, you can't have fun with this game unless you choose top tiers :\
Good games. Your play has a loooooong way to go before you can complain about your characters. You weren't doing any better with the "top tier" characters, either. My apologies for leaving abruptly, but my wife called. She's on vacation and we always do a goodnight call to each other before bed when apart.

I can tell you are getting frustrated with the game, but let me tell you that I can see improvement. You've improved notably. You completed your first Tron Bonne combo ever against me, and in general you just made smarter decisions. You're also the best ground thrower I've played against, right next to SlasherMcGirk.

You need to be more aggressive at getting through keepaway. It's no exaggeration to say that what I was doing to you with Dormammu doesn't work on anyone else here, and it's not a matchup problem. You're far too inclined to sit in a corner and block 4-5 Purifications before moving. Practice the art of dashing into a crouch-block and chicken jumping. It's essential against keepaway.

You aren't using all of the tools available to your characters. I never see you use Tron's s.H to negate projectiles, I never saw a command grab from Nemesis, etc. Frank West has lots of random pictures, and those are not safe on block. I picked a variety of teams, most of them made of characters I don't know how to play, to show your some other options out there, and that this is a general weakness you have, it's not a matchup issue. Unless you think Thor, Deadpool, Arthur, Iron Man, Captain America, Felicia, Taskmaster, and Shuma-Gorath are all "top tier".

Keep practicing, you'll get there. Don't blame the game, though. Not until you can honestly say you have mastered your characters and do everything there is to do, but still lose.

LOL Megaman X, Gene, Nina, & Spidey Villain (Settled on Doc Oc) were the definites for me. I don't know who to use my last 2 Capcom votes on concretely between Rouge (Power Stone), Ruby Heart, Donovan, Bass.EXE, Sigma (I love the idea of X series getting massive rep in this game), Tessa and Jin Saotome. Marvel I'm way more loose about because they did a really good job with their roster being both vast and implemented well minus male/female ratios.
I would vote Gene if everyone else voted Nina for me. I'm glad to acquiesce on MMX, but Doc Ock...I think we all need to talk about that one! I dig everyone on your Capcom list, though Jin is very "meh" to me.

And Magik has a sword that cuts your soul so potentially meter damaging attacks plus she literally is the Ruler over Purgatory. Its her realm and she gets to summon demons on top of all the potential stuff Scarlet Witch could get with her magic.

She's just a more interesting choice for me. Besides her banter with Dormammu , Phoenix, and Strange would be golden.
Morrigan, too. Morrigan/Dormammu/Magik would be team "Demon Kings".

hypernima

Banned
Good games. Your play has a loooooong way to go before you can complain about your characters. You weren't doing any better with the "top tier" characters, either. My apologies for leaving abruptly, but my wife called. She's on vacation and we always do a goodnight call to each other before bed when apart.

I can tell you are getting frustrated with the game, but let me tell you that I can see improvement. You've improved notably. You completed your first Tron Bonne combo ever against me, and in general you just made smarter decisions. You're also the best ground thrower I've played against, right next to SlasherMcGirk.

You need to be more aggressive at getting through keepaway. It's no exaggeration to say that what I was doing to you with Dormammu doesn't work on anyone else here, and it's not a matchup problem. You're far too inclined to sit in a corner and block 4-5 Purifications before moving. Practice the art of dashing into a crouch-block and chicken jumping. It's essential against keepaway.

You aren't using all of the tools available to your characters. I never see you use Tron's s.H to negate projectiles, I never saw a command grab from Nemesis, etc. Frank West has lots of random pictures, and those are not safe on block. I picked a variety of teams, most of them made of characters I don't know how to play, to show your some other options out there, and that this is a general weakness you have, it's not a matchup issue. Unless you think Thor, Deadpool, Arthur, Iron Man, Captain America, Felicia, Taskmaster, and Shuma-Gorath are all "top tier".

Keep practicing, you'll get there. Don't blame the game, though. Not until you can honestly say you have mastered your characters and do everything there is to do, but still lose.

I understand, I'm not particularly blaming per se but I only said that because of how easy it was when I used Vergil in that one match (I don't even know how to use him)
I just get frustrated when I try to confirm or use my options wisely and they never work. Also I know zero Thor combos so my team is still somewhat incomplete.

I understand, I'm not particularly blaming per se but I only said that because of how easy it was when I used Vergil in that one match (I don't even know how to use him)
I just get frustrated when I try to confirm or use my options wisely and they never work. Also I know zero Thor combos so my team is still somewhat incomplete.
That one Vergil match I put the stick down for a second because my wife IMed me. :p

Also, Thor is one of the worst anchors in the game. Big no-no. I hope I showed you some Thor combos to use, though. ;-)

Horseress

That one Vergil match I put the stick down for a second because my wife IMed me. :p

Also, Thor is one of the worst anchors in the game. Big no-no. I hope I showed you some Thor combos to use, though. ;-)

I think Thor can only work being on point, with good assists, since he has problems getting in

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah, I'm realizing I'm limited by my lack of mobility ability (Hawkeye ownage). I wonder if there's a movement practice guide out there to help me out. Not just wave dashing but competent flying and air dashing, negating pushblock, etc.
Exactly! Well, practice makes perfect like they say so I'll just stick with and try to brute force my way through, but I do wish there could be a guide on movement or something.

onionfrog

I am demotivated, you can't have fun with this game unless you choose top tiers :
We should play some time, I'm also not very good at this game. Most people here beat me 70-80% of the matches I play.

Don't get discouraged, I like to think of it as practice and a good learning experience.

I am demotivated, you can't have fun with this game unless you choose top tiers :\

C'mon now hypernima. Everybody knows this is the most frustrating game ever created at times, but I truly believe with enough practice practically any well thought out team is viable. It's all about figuring out what your characters strengths are and how they should proceed against certain opposition. Just yesterday I felt what you felt going against Hwakeye/Taskmaster spam. It works so well against my team, but thinking calmly about it and timing jumps/blocks/sheilds I managed to do pretty well and only lose a couple of times. Your characters can be hard to master because they not "cheap" enough but they can be good if you use them right.

Anyway here's my list of characters wishlist

Marvel

Rogue (X Men)
Punisher
Gambit
Juggernaught
Carnage

Capcom

Gene (God Hand)
Mega Man Classic
Dr. Wily
Samonuske
Claire Redfeild

I really wish they (capcom) would fix the netcode. I'm starting to feel that playing online is counter productive. Deliberately slowing down execution just to match game speed/lag must be terrible when building muscle memory.

Marz

We should play some time, I'm also not very good at this game. Most people here beat me 70-80% of the matches I play.

Don't get discouraged, I like to think of it as practice and a good learning experience.

Let's do like a "shitty" player lobby? I'm still ass at the game lol

JeTmAn81

I really wish they (capcom) would fix the netcode. I'm starting to feel that playing online is counter productive. Deliberately slowing down execution just to match game speed/lag must be terrible when building muscle memory.

Fortunately for me, stuff from training mode is so ingrained to me I have a really hard time adjusting for lag so it doesn't affect my ability to do it offline. Unfortunately, this means I drop 90% of my Magneto combos online because I'm so locked into lag-free timing. And I almost never get to play anyone offline :(

Goddamn, DeadPhoenix would rather have an "Open Slot" on his SRK poll than support Nina. -_-

Hahaha. I was using an open slot to edit later so I could find a different character. I'll vote for her. Game needs another female and another flyer to annoy the hell out of rush down teams. I couldn't think of another character I like that doesn't involve RE, DMC, or SF anyways.

So here's the my DLC wish list as of now

Marvel

Scarlet Witch

Emma Frost

Thanos

Doc Ock

Daredevil

Capcom

Regina - Dino Crisis

Nōhime/Lady Butterfly - Sengoku Basara

Nina (Breath of Fire 2) (I still don't know who she is)

Captain Commando

Mega Man X

Sigmaah

My DLC/Disc Expansion Wish List

Marvel

Venom
Cyclops
Gambit
Thanos
Green Goblin

Capcom

Mega Man X
Sigma
Magma Dragoon
Captain Commando
Samonuske

onionfrog

My DLC/Disc Expansion Wish List
Marvel

Capcom

Mega Man X
Sigma
Magma Dragoon
Captain Commando
Samonuske

I don't know about magma dragoon, but otherwise I like the way you think. If I had picked a really obscure capcom character it'd probably be Marcellus(Onimusha boss). Man he'd be cool, sword + shield combination, wind magic, is not based of an actor...

Samanosuke and Sigma would be awesome. I'm thinking MMX4 sigma with the scythe.

EDIT: Actually magma dragoon could be pretty cool, he could have his full screen meteor shower and big flamethrower laser as hypers.

I've gotta stop getting hype for an expansion that isn't coming...

I thought Samanosuke was said to be a wasted vote, since it's in the likeness of an actor. Seigfried keeps getting votes too - oi!

I think Thor can only work being on point, with good assists, since he has problems getting in
He can work second, because he really only needs one assist. I don't think Thor has problems getting in, he just has problems opening people up. He's basically Dormammu but with better aerial options and a command grab in exchange for the zoning.

If you play with good connections, it's not too bad. Gods_Beard here feels almost like offline play when he's not at school. I have someone on my friends list that feels entirely like offline play, and it's always an eye opener to play him. I agree that the game could use better netcode, though. By far its worst feature. Capcom needs to reconsider its priorities for the west.

Let's do like a "shitty" player lobby? I'm still ass at the game lol
I've thought about ranking everyone here, since I've played everyone, so folks know who to practice against to get better, but I don't want to offend anyone. It seems like all the newbies are pretty open about not being good at the game, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who to play against. If you post on GameFAQs, they actually have a dedicated "Bad Player" thread. It's not a bad idea to sign up and some matches there.

Hahaha. I was using an open slot to edit later so I could find a different character. I'll vote for her. Game needs another female and another flyer to annoy the hell out of rush down teams. I couldn't think of another character I like that doesn't involve RE, DMC, or SF anyways.

So here's the my DLC wish list as of now

Marvel

Scarlet Witch

Emma Frost

Thanos

Doc Ock

Daredevil

Capcom

Regina - Dino Crisis

Nōhime/Lady Butterfly - Sengoku Basara

Nina (Breath of Fire 2) (I still don't know who she is)

Captain Commando

Mega Man X
Graces to you! I have a fan moveset that might give you an idea of what she's like:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30577516&postcount=12480

onionfrog

I've thought about ranking everyone here, since I've played everyone, so folks know who to practice against to get better, but I don't want to offend anyone. It seems like all the newbies are pretty open about not being good at the game, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who to play against.
Personally, it wouldn't bother me if you did compile a list. It might even be fuel for REAL grudge matches on kadey's stream.

I think out of everyone I've played on GAF I was most evenly matched against beats.

Racketpunch has probably thrashed me most viciously so far...

JazzmanZ

Doing Character wishlists now are we?

Marvel

- Howard The duck
- Daredevil
- Venom
- Thanos
- Ultron

Capcom

- Gene
- Sissel
- Asura
- Breath of Fire Ryu
- Megaman

Honestly UMVC3 pretty much got all of my wishlist characters in it and then some like Nemesis.

Thanos would make sense to include since he's both a mvc2 vetern and is the villain in the upcoming Avengers sequel. Venom could be needed for some more Spider-man rep, through I'm fine with Green goblin or Doc Ock either way.

Capcoms characters are a little harder to nail who else I'd want, since just about everyone barring Megaman and Gene got it, I thought the Ghost trick dude would offer some interesting moves.

Also yes, I really do want Howard the duck playable, he's the perfect cartoony small character besdies RR.

Karst, your heart's in the right place but I don't think that your Nina move set is the best idea for translating her into a fighting game. The AP meter is way too literal. You need a more visually integrated idea if you're going to give her something like that. MODOK, Dorm and Nova all have metered attacks that mesh better with the game.

You also have to consider development time, is the team really going to want to create another Dante with 15 special moves that have very little animation/effects overlap?

You might want to do something like Will(22S, 15 startup/- active/15 recovery frames): Charges 1 AP point after 60 frames, and charges another for every successive 30 frames up to a maximum of 9 AP points. Charged AP points are visually represented by a glowing ball floating around Nina. Nina Starts with 3 AP points. Basic spells cost a minimum of 1 AP point and can be rekka'd after the initial input by chaining an additional L,M or H command that repeats the spell on a new screen-relative position at the cost of another AP point. Basic spells can only be chained up to 2 additional times.

Stronger spells are all related to the S button and cost 3 AP.
Nina can steal 2 AP from the opponent with Drain(A+S, air OK)
Level 3s cost no AP but are only available with 5 or more AP stocked and increase in power and utility at a full 9 stocks.

Doing Character wishlists now are we?

Marvel

- Howard The duck
- Daredevil
- Venom
- Thanos
- Ultron

Capcom

- Gene
- Sissel
- Asura
- Breath of Fire Ryu
- Megaman

Honestly UMVC3 pretty much got all of my wishlist characters in it and then some like Nemesis.

Thanos would make sense to include since he's both a mvc2 vetern and is the villain in the upcoming Avengers sequel. Venom could be needed for some more Spider-man rep, through I'm fine with Green goblin or Doc Ock either way.

Capcoms characters are a little harder to nail who else I'd want, since just about everyone barring Megaman and Gene got it, I thought the Ghost trick dude would offer some interesting moves.

Also yes, I really do want Howard the duck playable, he's the perfect cartoony small character besdies RR.
SRK is doing a new DLC poll.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me if you did compile a list. It might even be fuel for REAL grudge matches on kadey's stream.

I think out of everyone I've played on GAF I was most evenly matched against beats.

Racketpunch has probably thrashed me most viciously so far...
Well, I wouldn't want to rank folks unless everyone wanted me to.

Karst, your heart's in the right place but I don't think that your Nina move set is the best idea for translating her into a fighting game. The AP meter is way too literal. You need a more visually integrated idea if you're going to give her something like that. MODOK, Dorm and Nova all have metered attacks that mesh better with the game.

You also have to consider development time, is the team really going to want to create another Dante with 15 special moves that have very little animation/effects overlap?

You might want to do something like Will(22S, 15 startup/- active/15 recovery frames): Charges 1 AP point after 60 frames, and charges another for every successive 30 frames up to a maximum of 9 AP points. Charged AP points are visually represented by a glowing ball floating around Nina. Nina Starts with 3 AP points. Basic spells cost a minimum of 1 AP point and can be rekka'd after the initial input by chaining an additional L,M or H command that repeats the spell on a new screen-relative position at the cost of another AP point. Basic spells can only be chained up to 2 additional times.

Stronger spells are all related to the S button and cost 3 AP.
Nina can steal 2 AP from the opponent with Drain(A+S)
Level 3s cost no AP but are only available with 5 or more AP stocked and increase in power and utility at a full 9 stocks.
Visually integrated? I figured this would have a blue AP bar above the meter bar, with notches at each 25 mark so you know roughly how much you have (think Tager's volt meter).

I'm not going to consider development time because this is a fan moveset. I refuse to devalue my character by assuming no one wants to put effort into her. The goal is to be as true to the character as possible, not to be "realistic" of what Capcom will do. If I wanted to be realistic, I wouldn't bother at all, since the game is dead.

She sounds like she could fit easily.
I'd wonder how would they fit Regina or Lady Butterfly without copying other gun users if they were to get in?
Regina would get MvC2 Jill's moveset, I imagine. I've never played Sengoku Basara outside of a demo (I'm not into the Dynasty Warriors stuff), so no opinions there.

It's not about not wanting to put the effort in, it's about making effective choices. Dante only has that many moves because he's a wild and crazy guy, Dormammu could have had a hundred more moves but he's just as good as a character. Actually, I think a meter bar is kind of a half-assed decision.

It's not about not wanting to put the effort in, it's about making effective choices. Dante only has that many moves because he's a wild and crazy guy, Dormammu could have had a hundred more moves but he's just as good as a character. Actually, I think a meter bar is kind of a half-assed decision.
Well, unfortunately Nina isn't a "wild and crazy guy", but I'd still like to give her a faithful translation into the game.

I'd be up for it since I'm squarely in that camp for now. Now that I've changed most of my team I'm even worst than I was before. Yay for progress !
The only reason I'm decent with most of the cast in this game is I've gone through so many partners for Dormammu.

onionfrog

Well, I wouldn't want to rank folks unless everyone wanted me to.
Certainly.

Regina would get MvC2 Jill's moveset, I imagine. I've never played Sengoku Basara outside of a demo (I'm not into the Dynasty Warriors stuff), so no opinions there.
Regina would be cool, I always felt like MVC2 Jill's move set was pretty unique.

Could anyone give me some taskmaster tips? I think I'm gonna play around with the arrow bros tonight after work.

Kioshen

Could anyone give me some taskmaster tips? I think I'm gonna play around with the arrow bros tonight after work.

I'm currently toying with him too! Here are his combos but there isn't much to read on him. He's the Ryu of Marvel. Great footsies, doesn't excel at anything, hits like a truck on a simple cr.L hit confirm, Shield skills can go through projectiles + can be made safe with aim of hawkeye or chop sticks, spidey swing can now be cancelled with aim of hawkeye for easy trajectory modification and he has a really long dash so no need to wavedash much with him.

If you like to watch match videos TA Moons, Dj Huoshen and Honzo Gonzo are great reference for solid Tasky play imo.

Well, unfortunately Nina isn't a "wild and crazy guy", but I'd still like to give her a faithful translation into the game.

Sure, I never said you had to get rid of the spells. It just seems like you're having a lot of stuff that does the same thing or similar things but have radically different inputs. Spark and Freeze, for example. Do Thunder, Lightning and Bolt X need to be different moves? Why not just let Thunder repeat for extra AP? Your QCF and DP moves have some unity to them, but your QCB moves just seem like random extra stuff because they're things Nina could do, rather than rounding out her character. You could probably get rid of them and roll them into the other specials somehow or add them to the heavy spells. Something like this:

QCF+A,A: Elemental Spells(adding an additional button changes the screen-position)
Cyclone - fast startup but little damage/hitstun, pushes the opponent back
Frost -falls from the sky like Ice Man's sphere's, slow but causes an effect like Hawkeye's freeze shot
Spark - creates a high-damaging stream of fire that has a ton of active frames but makes follow-ups difficult

DP+A,A,A: Instant Spells(adding an additional button repeats the spell at a new position)
Jolt - A very quick lightning bolt that disrupts the opponent
Hail - summons a large amount of projectiles that fall downward and drag the opponent with them
Inferno - launches a fireball from the top corner of the screen, button determines angle, causes ground bounce

Heavy Spells(various S inputs/QCB+A)
Typhoon - large whirlwind that travels slowly in one direction
Fireblast - medium durability stalking flare
Missile - small explosions fill the screen at random points

Honestly I think Simoon and Typhoon shouldn't cost ap and just be 6/4H.

Sure, I never said you had to get rid of the spells. It just seems like you're having a lot of stuff that does the same thing or similar things but have radically different inputs.
Let's go through it.

Spark and Freeze, for example.
Spark/Flare – 4 AP – (qcf.H) – a stream of fire manifests and fires toward your opponent; character-relative. Causes a lot of hitstun and deals heavy chip damage, but does not move your opponent significantly in any direction. Heavy frame advantage but slow-ish startup. OTGs.
Spark is meant for three possibilities:
1) Blockstrings, since it has a slow startup but heavy frame advantage.
2) Combo stuff.

Freeze/Ice Blast – 10 AP – (qcb.L) – summons a head of ice directly above Nina that breaths a small stream of cold at your opponent. Freezes opponent on hit and drops said opponent into a crumple position on the ground. Heavy frame advantage on block, fast startup but heavy recovery, so punishable on whiff.
Freeze has a fast startup, and because it's Nina-relative instead of opponent-relative, it's a defensive move. It's sort of her last second "get away from me" kind of move. You would never use Spark where you use Freeze, and vice versa. Very different moves that have one thing in common: they blow something at the opponent.

I organized the inputs roughly based on input costs. The qcf moves are all ~5 AP. The qcb moves are all ~10 AP, and the dp moves are mostly in the 15+ AP range. So, the qcf motions are supposed to be your small stuff you throw out there when you need it, the qcb motions are your medium cost moves that you have to think about, and the dp moves are the big guns that cost you a lot, but give you a lot.

That's a lot more organization than Dante's moveset has, haha. I think it makes more sense to organize her moves by AP cost than it does to organize them by something like aesthetic similarities. I could probably move all of the elements to one button input, though, so Freeze is an M input in line with Hail and Frost. That would be worth doing.

Do Thunder, Lightning and Bolt X need to be different moves? Why not just let Thunder repeat for extra AP? Your QCF and DP moves have some unity to them, but your QCB moves just seem like random extra stuff because they're things Nina could do, rather than rounding out her character. You could probably get rid of them and roll them into the other specials somehow or add them to the heavy spells. Something like this:
You really think this:
Jolt/Thunder – 10 AP – (dp.L) – A wave of lightning appears from the sky and treads across the screen based on your chosen point. Causes a soft knockdown and knocks your opponent backward; screen-relative. Similar to Dormammu’s Purification pillars, but hits your opponent downward instead of upward. Slight frame advantage on block. OTGs.

Is too similar to this?
Bolt X/Valhalla/Mjollnir – 20 AP – (rdp.S) – for the next 600 frames, every 60 frames a tracking bolt of lightning will fire down upon your opponent. Quick startup and recovery. Stops if Nina takes non-chip damage. The final hit is much larger than the rest.

Notice that Bolt X has "quick recovery" yet lasts 600 frames. Reading it now, it might not be clear, but it's something you cast and takes, say 30 frames to start up, and then she's free to move around for the next 570 frames. So it's nothing like Thunder, which is a dedicated Purification. Bolt X is more like something that transforms the battlefield. It's a long-term goal like Dormammu's Dark Spells are. You want to try and maintain a move like Bolt X because once it's up you can now use Will more freely as well as your other spells. Since Nina is free to move, you can use the Bolt X strikes for solo cross-ups, something Jolt could never offer.

Then there's Lightning:
S. Boom/Lightning – 11 AP – (qcb.M) – bolts shoot down in a Magnetic Shockwave fashion across the screen. Bolts come down slow enough that most characters can dash between them as each one dissipates. Causes a ground bounce on hit. Quick startup, quick recovery. OTGs.
This is primarily going to be useful for combos. It ground bounces and OTGs, so maybe you do an ABC combo, land, Lightning, and your opponent gets bounced all the way back across the screen. You recover fast, so you have time to use Will a bit before your opponent recovers, or set another spell up for wakeup. She can't realistically use this for mix-ups like she can with Bolt X.

So, while I appreciate you asking me, because I liked looking at my moveset again after so long, I think you might just be reading the titles/aesthetics and not actually judging what the moves do and offer for her. These are all very different techniques that are useful in different situations.

Honestly I think Simoon and Typhoon shouldn't cost ap and just be 6/4H.
Typhoon is way too good to not cost AP. It would be like if Molecular Shield pushed opponents halfway across the screen and couldn't be jumped over. She's meant to burn AP like crazy while trying to maintain it, so maybe something like this would happen in practice:
1) Opponent approaches you.
2) You use Freeze.
3) Opponent blocks.
4) Dash forward, c.H to keep in blockstun, Flare.
5) Typhoon.
6) Use pushback period for Will.

So there you used 22 AP just for a defensive blockstring, but you got good chip out of it and were able to reclaim your AP through Will. If Typhoon costed nothing, then this would be largely Will positive, which I don't want. I want maintaining her Will to be a huge problem. I want it to take work for her to maintain Will. I don't want her running around with 100 AP all the time spamming Sirocco.

Simoon is special-cancelable, and I think that needs to be paid for. Because it's special-cancelable, it can be used to cast a lot of spells with high recovery. In other words, Sirocco has heavy startup, but Simoon x Sirocco lets you pull Sirocco off without worry. Then you have 120 frames to use Will to regain your AP or perform mix-ups with the mini-explosions.

Top Bottom