• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

JeTmAn81

Most people just burn XF3 right away, but yeah, it's best to try to fight it out normally until at least one character is dead, then go ham. And people still aren't playing XF3 Strider all that well.

I've noticed this. I was watching the WNF archive from last night and none of those guys (Marn, Dickwin) playing Strider were particularly impressive with him. At least they weren't doing a ton of point Vajra H, but you could tell they hadn't really spent much time with him training on XF3 combos. I think the Clockw0rk vs. Drew Grimey exhibition at SCR should be good though, those guys seem to have good Striders, especially Clockw0rk (natch). But overall I get the feeling that nobody's really playing Strider at an expert level.

I've been trying to make a concerted effort not to burn X-Factor with my non-Strider characters and treat him like he's Phoenix but it's ok for me to burn a meter or two. Strider can kill one character easily, two characters if you're good, but it's tough for him to kill a whole team, and of course everything becomes ten times harder without X-factor. Anyway, the Dante/Strider combo is enough to really mess somebody up so if I play correctly I should be able to do a lot of damage and build meter so hopefully Strider will have access to orbs as well.

Yay, someone else who plays Chris too. LLND dropping him hurts, but at the same time, I like watching an actual good Chun player on the West Coast.

I'm not really a fan of Haggar with Chris but other characters that have good synergy.

Dante
Strider
Spencer
Morrigan
Strange
Zero
Hulk
Other RE characters

I haven't tested other characters that extensively, but those are all the teammates I've played with him in the past.

You guys aren't alone. I'm a Chris player myself. I've also been waiting to post for like 2 months or something. Glad I finally got approved. I'm not on PSN though. But I am thinking of buying it on PS3 since it's dirt cheap anyway. I'm looking forward to playing with some of you guys and definitely learning some new shit.

smurfx

get some go again
What is he doing that you can't beat? Couldn't you tag in one of the Arrow Bros. and zone him? I know Firebrand's mobility seems like it would be a problem for the mayor.
don't know the timing on some of his stuff yet. i hardly ever fight good ones online.

List...completed! It only took 3 hours. Slasher, if you want to do the section for Wright's stances, go for it - I'm exhausted. Ditto on Frank West's leveled up states - I just don't care. Clearly j.M is going to beat everything, etc. If you happen to figure out cool conversions, feel free to add them in. If you want to test hypers, just add a section labeled Hypers: below the ground normals for each character and go to.

How long do you think it will take you to finish the video? I'm going to post the list by itself to GFAQs and SRK because I'd like to see some of this stuff get used at SCR this weekend, but the video will show how good this stuff really is!

Here is an attempt at a comprehensive list of moves that beat Vajra assist (and Vajra, but the list is intended for the assist). I only care about moves that work reactively, not predictively (thus, a move like Frank’s qcf.M is not on here). If I could beat Vajra with a move within 3 tries after seeing him appear on the screen and teleport, I put it on this list. Everything on here is realistic. If there was a clear way to lead to a combo from the hit, or if I took the time to figure out a realistic kill combo (or close to), I listed that. Otherwise, I just listed the move as an option so people could be aware of what’s out there – maybe others will find things I missed, or have ideas I didn’t.

“High Air” is not what normals work at high altitudes, since that would be the same list as “Low Air”. It’s a list of conversions that work particularly well at high altitudes and moves that hit because you superjump on reaction to Vajra, and the momentum from your jump makes certain moves able to hit that can’t during a normal jump. Anything at low altitude works at high altitude in terms of hitbox priority, so I won’t list it in both sections. So, if “High Air” is an empty section, that means I didn’t find anything that works only at “High Air”.

Assists do not benefit from hitstun or damage decay and fall into hard knockdown. That means many combos work on assists that do not work on point characters, such as s.M, Dark Matter with Dormammu, or s.S, Fire Bottle with Arthur. Be creative, and hopefully we’ll see people superjumping to block this assist less often.

Jill:
High Air:
j.M, qcf.M…

Low Air:
j.MHS, j.MMHS…
j.H

Ground:
s.S, sj.MMHS
qcf.L
qcf.M

Nemesis:
High Air:

Low Air:
j.LS
j.MS
j.HS
j.S

Ground:
s.L
s.M
s.H
qcf.L
dp.M

Firebrand:
High Air:
j.H, j,d+H (during ascent)

Low Air:
j.S

Ground:
s.S

Strider:
High Air:
j.M

Low Air:
j.HS, s.M
j.S
qcf.L
qcf.M
qcf.H

Ground:
s.S
s.H
qcb.M
qcf.L

Phoenix Wright:
High Air:
j.MMHS

Low Air:
j.L
j.M
j.H

Ground:
s.LMHS
s.MHS
s.HS

Chris:
High Air:
j.MMH, qcf.H

Low Air:
j.H
j.S

Ground:
f.H
s.S

Arthur:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:

Ground:
s.S
dp.M
dp.H

Frank West:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:
j.M
j.H
j.S
qcf.S

Ground:
qcf.S
s.H
s.S

Vergil:
High Air:

Low Air:
j.d+H
j.L
j.M
j.H

Ground:
s.H
s.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H (seriously)

Wesker:
High Air:
j.L
j.H

Low Air:
j.M, s.MHS,
j.S, Phantom Dance

Ground:
s.S

Zero:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:
j.H
j.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Ground:
s.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Ryu:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:
j.M, qcb.L, s.LMHS
j.H

Ground:
s.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Dante:
High Air:
j.LS

Low Air:
j.HS
j.MS

Ground:
qcb.L (earlier is better)
dp.H
s.H
s.S
s.M
s.L

Morrigan:
High Air:
j.L
j.M
j.H, qcf.S, qcb.S, ADD, j.H, qcf.H, qcb.S, dp.AA

Low Air:
j.HS, c.MHS

Ground:
dp.M
dp.H

Tron Bonne:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:
j.HS
j.S

Ground:
dp.M
dp.H
f.H

Trish:
High Air:
j.MH, d.H, qcf.L, qcf.AA

Low Air:
j.M
j.S
j.H

Ground:
s.S
s.H

Chun-li:
High Air:
j.M
j.H

Low Air:
j.S
j.L

Ground:
s.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Felicia:
High Air:
j.MMH, dp.H

Low Air:
j.S, dp.H
j.H, dp.H
j.L, dp.H

Ground:
b.H
s.S
dp.M
dp.H

Spencer:
High Air:
j.MMHS
j.LMHS

Low Air:
j.H
j.S

Ground:
c.M
s.S

Akuma:
High Air:
j.LH, rdp.L~L
j.M, rdp.L~L

Low Air:
j.H

Ground:
s.M
dp.L, qcf.AA
dp.M, qcf.AA
dp.H, qcf.AA

Viewtiful Joe:
High Air:

Low Air:
j.H
j.S, qcb.M, qcb.M, AD, mash A

Ground:
dp.L, mash A
dp.M

Hsien-ko:
High Air:
j.M
j.L
j.H
j.S

Low Air:

Ground:
qcf.H, s.LMHS

Haggar:
High Air:
j.LMH, j.d+H
j.M

Low Air:
j.d+H
j.S

Ground:
A+S
f.H
qcf.L
s.H

C. Viper:
High Air:
j.M

Low Air:
j.H
j.S

Ground:
qcf.H
dp.L
A (hold), release
dp.S
qcb.S

Amaterasu:
High Air:
j.HHH, qcf.H (Disk)

Low Air:
j.H (Glaive)
qcf.L
qcf.M
j.H (Beads)

Ground:
s.H (Disk)
f.H (Glaive)
qcf.M (Glaive)
qcf.H (Glaive)
s.S

Shuma-Gorath:
High Air:
j.LS

Low Air:
j.M
j.H

Ground:
c.H
qcf.M
qcf.H

Nova:
High Air:
j.MMHS

Low Air:
j.H
j.M

Ground:
s.S
qcf.M

Ghost Rider:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:
j.H
j.M

Ground:
s.S

Hawkeye:
High Air:
j.M

Low Air:
j.H
j.S

Ground:
s.S
s.M

Dr. Strange:
High Air:
j.S

Low Air:
j.L
j.M
j.H

Ground:
s.M
c.M
s.S

Dormammu:
High Air:
j.M, qcb.S, j.LH, qcf.H, j.H, qcf.H
j.M, qcb.S, j.LH, qcf.H, qcb.H, qcf.AA
j.MMS, qcb.H, qcf.AA

Low Air:
j.MHS, s.MS

Ground:
3D0C, qcf.H, qcf.AA
s.M, f.M, qcf.H, qcf.AA
s.H
2D1C

Captain America:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:
j.u+H, qcf.L
j.M
j.S

Ground:
s.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Rocket Raccoon:
High Air:

Low Air:
j.H

Ground:
dp.H

Iron Fist:
High Air:

Low Air:
j.H

Ground:
f.H

Deadpool:
High Air:
j.L
j.MMH, qcf.AA
j.H
j.S

Low Air:

Ground:
s.S
f.M
qcf.H

Wolverine:
High Air:
j.S

Low Air:
A+S (up)
j.M
j.H

Ground:
A+S (up), j.H, j.d+H
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H
c.M
s.S

Iron Man:
High Air:
j.M

Low Air:
j.S
j.H
j.u+H

Ground:
s.H
qcb.L~H
qcb.M~H

Dr. Doom:
High Air:
j.LMS
j.MS

Low Air:

Ground:
s.H
s.S
f.H
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H
qcb.L
qcb.M
qcb.H
b.H

X-23:
High Air:
j.L

Low Air:
j.H
j.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Ground:
s.S
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Storm:
High Air:
j.MMH, A+S, A+S, A+S, qcf.AA

Low Air:
j.M
A+S
dp.H

Ground:
s.S
A+S (up), A+S (df), s.MHS

Thor:
High Air:
j.M

Low Air:
j.L
j.S, rdp.M, qcf.AA
qcf.L

Ground:
c.M
s.S
rdp.H
rdp.M
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H
qcf.L, s.M

MODOK:
High Air:
j.M

Low Air:
A+S (up)

Ground:
s.L
s.H
df.H
qcf.L
A+S (up)

Spider-man:
High Air:
j.L
j.H

Low Air:
j.M

Ground:
s.S
s.M
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H
hcb.H

Sentinel:
High Air:
j.H

Low Air:
j.L
j.M
j.S

Ground:
s.M
s.S

Hulk:
High Air:
j.LHS, s.M
j.S

Low Air:
j.H
j.M

Ground:
s.L
s.M
s.H
s.S

Super-Skrull:
High Air:
j.HS, qcb.AA

Low Air:
j.M

Ground:
s.H
s.S
c.M
qcf.L, qcb.H
qcf.M, qcb.H
qcf.H, qcb.H

Phoenix:
High Air:
j.MMH, f.H, d.H
j.S
j.H, fly, j.MH, f.H, qcf.M, qcf.AA

Low Air:
j.L
j.H, f.H, d.H

Ground:
s.L
s.S

Dark Phoenix:
High Air:
j.M
j.S

Low Air:
j.L
j.H

Ground:
qcb.M
qcb.L
s.L
s.S
s.H

Magneto:
High Air:
j.S

Low Air:
j.M
j.H

Ground:
s.S
s.M
s.H
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

She-Hulk:
High Air:
j.M
j.S

Low Air:
j.L
j.H, c.L

Ground:
dp.L
dp.M
dp.H

Taskmaster:
High Air:
j.L
j.H

Low Air:
j.M
j.S

Ground:
qcf.H
s.M
s.S

You guys aren't alone. I'm a Chris player myself. I've also been waiting to post for like 2 months or something. Glad I finally got approved. I'm not on PSN though. But I am thinking of buying it on PS3 since it's dirt cheap anyway. I'm looking forward to playing with some of you guys and definitely learning some new shit.

welcome!

best username and avatar i've seen in recent memory lolol

welcome!

best username and avatar i've seen in recent memory lolol

Thanks. It's actually not the avatar I wanted to use. The one I wanted has profanity in it, albeit censored, but I'm trying not to put myself in positions that would possibly get me banned since I'm a junior. By the way....how long does junior status last?

I got taken to court.
Phoenix Wright vs Dark Phoenix
My god, the hyper is stupid good.
I got hit while trying to block...
And again for trying to hit Wright...

GG's Slasher. I now have a new found respect for Wright.

I got taken to court.

Yea man GGs. I still can't find a good strategy against Phoenix. My whole game plan is get TB Wright, if you have three bars or less setup and unblockable and snap in Phoenix, you have 4 bars or more try and get 2 bars, rearrange team to Hulk/Wright/Doesn'tmatter, turn you dark, use gamma crush's invinibility to get close, DHC into either order in the court or maya super, X-factor and from there unblockable or finger point. I was raging pretty hard on some of those matches. Even some that I won lol.

It seems you are having trouble finding a point character. Your Morrigan and Phoenix seem to be doing well, but in all of our games your point character seemed like a body bag. So many times you just stood there to call dark harmonizer. I think I would have lost a lot more of those games if your point character was more scary. Just an observation, please don't take offense.

Hey Kevo_Huevo you down for our tourney matches now maybe?

DeadPhoenix uses Trish as his point character normally, but he doesn't like how she loses to Dormammu. He should stay faithful!

Dante can do Revolver, Twister, and Volcano on reaction to Strider appearing, then teleporting iirc. Just a heads up.
What's Revolver?

I tried Twister (dp.L, right?) and IMO it's not doable on reaction, but rather on prediction. I tried to put things that you can see him starting to teleport and go "oh, I have this", and not "I saw him just as he entered the screen".

Frantic

What's Revolver?
qcb.M

I tried Twister (dp.L, right?) and IMO it's not doable on reaction, but rather on prediction. I tried to put things that you can see him starting to teleport and go "oh, I have this", and not "I saw him just as he entered the screen".
Okay. I generally try to react to him appearing on screen, or even the point character's call personally. I know I anticipate it a lot with Twister, since every Vergil/Strider wants to teleport + Vajra, and Twister blows them both up for free.

Volcano still works, though. It's probably one of the best options on the ground besides a normal.

Yea man GGs. I still can't find a good strategy against Phoenix. My whole game plan is get TB Wright, if you have three bars or less setup and unblockable and snap in Phoenix, you have 4 bars or more try and get 2 bars, rearrange team to Hulk/Wright/Doesn'tmatter, turn you dark, use gamma crush's invinibility to get close, DHC into either order in the court or maya super, X-factor and from there unblockable or finger point. I was raging pretty hard on some of those matches. Even some that I won lol.

It seems you are having trouble finding a point character. Your Morrigan and Phoenix seem to be doing well, but in all of our games your point character seemed like a body bag. So many times you just stood there to call dark harmonizer. I think I would have lost a lot more of those games if your point character was more scary. Just an observation, please don't take offense.

Nah it's cool. I'm always looking for advice. I just need to watch for your meter and be super careful against Wright as Phoenix. That instant hyper is just so gdlk.

DeadPhoenix uses Trish as his point character normally, but he doesn't like how she loses to Dormammu. He should stay faithful!

I couldn't get her to set traps the way I wanted. Then stiletto, fly, trap wouldn't work. Lag may have been the cause but maybe it was just my timing. Usually do okay. Maybe it's not a marvelous day :p

Thanks for the av smurf. All crispy and not gross now.

Karst I know you're a Dorm player, so do you have any setups for 3 blue spells? I would love to just use that as a gimmick on occasions because it would probably really mess people up since you rarely see it used.

Frantic

Hmm, after some testing, the soonest possible s.H > Wall Cling > Ladder Kick is mostly safe outside of a XFC in the corner. I had trouble airthrowing it with any character I tried(even Nova, although a frame imperfect Wall Cling > Ladder Kick is a free airthrow for Nova, but still hard for other characters). Some characters can trade with a high hitting 5 frame jab, but Ladder Kick has more histun than most s.Ls, so it's generally a trade in Strider's favor.

Now to start abusing Ladder Kick + Jam Session > Excalibur L. On hit, it combos, on block, it sets up 50/50 fuzzy guards since Ladder Kick is a high and they're forced to block Jam Session.

Dahbomb

Infiltration going to get blown until he picks up Vergil or a missiles based team.... or both.

This is his kind of game and he will pick the cheap stuff. Only unfortunately for so do the best players in USA.

Infiltration going to get blown until he picks up Vergil or a missiles based team.... or both.

This is his kind of game and he will pick the cheap stuff. Only unfortunately for so do the best players in USA.

Infiltration is a slow burner. It'll take him a while until he gets his groove but once he does, man.

That was my first wrong prediction for a winner in a long time! How was I supposed to know Champ would body himself?
The fact remains that he was extremely free to Morrigan/Doom, and the only thing that won him any matches at all was Dark Phoenix. So, why think he'll take any games off of ChrisG now that he's decided against using Phoenix?

Solune

Vergil is such a douche...
Just wait until I bust out my list of Vergil BUFFS. I have had it stewing in my brain so that on a really salty day I just post that shit here for the lawls. Like High Time being cancellable into Helm Breaker.
lol like kevo said, best username and avatar combo in a marvel thread ever. Welcome to GAF in general. Even if you're not PSN, feel free to contribute tech and talk, or just be a bunch of goofs like us. What's your main Chris team?
Thanks. It's actually not the avatar I wanted to use. The one I wanted has profanity in it, albeit censored, but I'm trying not to put myself in positions that would possibly get me banned since I'm a junior. By the way....how long does junior status last?
I'll laugh if you earn the tag "fuck the knicks"

Generally you need 300 posts and/or wait around 3 months I believe to become a full member

I got taken to court.

Have you played Lythero? Best Phoenix Wright I've played against. He has a ton of Wright vids on youtube and dat amazing tutorial.

Eh. I think FChamp could have burnt the meter if he wanted to. He only needs one touch for 5 bars. The problem was that Dormammu never did anything but block or superjump into flight for Dark Spells.

Just wait until I bust out my list of Vergil BUFFS. I have had it stewing in my brain so that on a really salty day I just post that shit here for the lawls. Like High Time being cancellable into Helm Breaker.
Haha, where's that nonsense coming from?

Welcome to Marvel GAF. Just message me anytime on PSN and I'll play with you. Plenty of people can help you with your characters. We even have a couple of good Wright's here for ya.

Thanks for the welcome! Are you up for any matches tonight? Chris is my main focus, with Wright being my fun character.

I'll be on around 10 pm PST. Anyone else up for some casuals around that time? I play PS3.

How many times does Chris have to beat Champ before you give Chris his props?

They played Losers Finals at EVO didn't they? That was my favorite match all tournament.

Dahbomb

My douchebag list of douchebag Vergil buffs:

*Blistering Swords and Storm Swords are free of cost if activated before any of the Spiral Swords make contact or lose their hits.

*Vergil can whiff special cancel all his moves.

*Spiral Swords persists on Vergil if he tags out (inspired by God's Beard aka the lawnmower)

*Helm Breaker causes stagger on standing opponent

*Rising Sun can be teleport canceled into all of Vergil's teleports (Trick Down in addition to his 3 teleports).

*Vergil can teleport from the air

*Judgment Cut can now be linked 3 times a row (essentially is now a rekka move)

*New Hyper Nelo Angelo transformation. D, D + 2 Attacks to activate and sacrifices 5 Bars. Vergil now gains hyper armor on all his special moves. Judgment Cuts replaced by Meteors and cause wall bounce on hit, are Air OK. Vergil's damage is increased by 50%, now has Flight mode and can activate Spiral Swords in the air. All normals and specials have increased priority even above his DT self. New move added Kick 13 mapped to RDP + Attack. RDP + L is a regular Kick 13 that causes wall bounce and has huge hit box + armor. RDP + M is a feint Kick 13, he dashes up but doesn't deliver a kick and instead does a Magma Drive which is unblockable (has a lot of start up though). RDP + H is another feint but he teleports behind the opponent instead. Finally Spiral Swords last twice as long during Nelo Angelo.

Reason? Because buffs and to make him even more authentic like his DMC1/DMC3 self.

*Rising Sun can be teleport canceled into all of Vergil's teleports (Trick Down in addition to his 3 teleports).

Wouldn't this make Rising Sun -> Helm Breaker an infinite? I actually think the rekka Judgement cuts would be cool, just like the adjustment I offered to Karst's Nina.

Dahbomb

Wouldn't this make Rising Sun -> Helm Breaker an infinite? I actually think the rekka Judgement cuts would be cool, just like the adjustment I offered to Karst's Nina.
Not really, Rising Sun still knocks them up and Helm Breaker would still cause a knockdown on an aerial opponent so you would have to do something after that. I purposely left out Teleporting ability after Hightime just so you can't do relaunch infinites with it.

Azure J

Hmm, so we've gone past Patch Wishing, and Dealing with a OP assist (Vajra this time), so now it's the Koryu part of the Ultimate Marvel cycle?

Real talk, I kinda want another revision just to see if Enzo would do another Ultimate exclusive version of the cycle.

"Ultimate [Character vs. Character] 3: [Meme related to said character or player of said character" - "What do you mean don't listen to Sven?" - PATCH?! :D #TYBG - Niitsuma says no patch. Capcpom pls - Missiles/Vajra/Jam Session (oh this one's coming, and fast) too stronk, nerf pls - Style vs. Consistency - Panda Has Dabess Hawkeye - Dante mains so spoiled - Koryu Edition Discussion and Rebalancing - RIP in peace legacy Marvel Minions - Someone loses an avatar bet

Top Bottom