• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

oh fixed. i don't think chris g has ever been a tier whore.
Ah, all is well then. Indeed, ChrisG is one of the few players out there who is constantly experimenting with underused characters to see what they can do.

Now NerdJosh...THERE'S a tier whore.
Aspiring tier whores have posters of NerdJosh at the character select screen picking various top tier teams throughout Marvel's life.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't know what's more annoying about fighting morrigan. the fact that she is so safe on everything she does or the camera in the game. you can't accurately dodge bullet hell because the camera stays up there with her and you are left just guessing in which spot to stand. taskmaster can use spidy swing to avoid some of her projectiles in the air but hawkeye and haggar are out of luck.

i don't know what's more annoying about fighting morrigan. the fact that she is so safe on everything she does or the camera in the game. you can't accurately dodge bullet hell because the camera stays up there with her and you are left just guessing in which spot to stand. taskmaster can use spidy swing to avoid some of her projectiles in the air but hawkeye and haggar are out of luck.
Oh man, does that mean you're on my team when it comes to the camera expanding now? :-O

Morrigan is safe, but she takes a hell of a lot of work to be that safe. It's not like Dante where you just push two buttons together and everything is magically safe.

smurfx

get some go again
Oh man, does that mean you're on my team when it comes to the camera expanding now? :-O

Morrigan is safe, but she takes a hell of a lot of work to be that safe. It's not like Dante where you just push two buttons together and everything is magically safe.
i've been on the camera hating bandwagon for a long time now. i originally starting hating it when i would get crossed up foot dives by wolverine in vanilla.

i've been on the camera hating bandwagon for a long time now. i originally starting hating it when i would get crossed up foot dives by wolverine in vanilla.
Fantastic. First let's get Cthulhu in for Darkstalkers 4, and then we can begin on that campaign.

Azure J

You know, Dante players use specials too. God forbid we pick the wrong ones to put out against a lot of the cast. Also, that magic "BAIL OUT" button only works if the other person isn't aware of the idea that until we hit the top of our jump arc, we're open game. :p

Also, I do believe I've been on team change the camera since I first got hit with a cross up Sentsuizan. On that same note, I never realized it before someone mentioned it in the thread right now, but now my mind is blown. EVERYONE calls assists on tech roll. I seriously can't believe I never noticed how busted that is.

You know, Dante players use specials too. God forbid we pick the wrong ones to put out against a lot of the cast. Also, that magic "BAIL OUT" button only works if the other person isn't aware of the idea that until we hit the top of our jump arc, we're open game. :p
You mean Air Play over and over again? Because that's what most Dante players do, and it's safe as hell. Dante is vulnerable for 16 frames after bold canceling a total whiff, but really you'd just cancel it into Reverb Shock instead of bold canceling unless you have a hyper coming your way. Then you have things like Devil Trigger to cover you if you're extremely stupid. Basically, Dante has 3 whole tiers of "safety" he can fall behind when he does something stupid. Most characters don't even get 1.

Dante takes a lot of skill to play, but let's not pretend that it's hard to make him safe.

Also, I do believe I've been on team change the camera since I first got hit with a cross up Sentsuizan. On that same note, I never realized it before someone mentioned it in the thread right now, but now my mind is blown. EVERYONE calls assists on tech roll. I seriously can't believe I never noticed how busted that is.
What do you mean everyone calls assists on tech roll? That's super unsafe.

Azure J

You mean Air Play over and over again? Because that's what most Dante players do, and it's safe as hell. Dante is vulnerable for 16 frames after bold canceling a total whiff, but really you'd just cancel it into Reverb Shock instead of bold canceling unless you have a hyper coming your way. Then you have things like Devil Trigger to cover you if you're extremely stupid. Basically, Dante has 3 whole tiers of "safety" he can fall behind when he does something stupid. Most characters don't even get 1.

Dante takes a lot of skill to play, but let's not pretend that it's hard to make him safe.

I gotcha now though. Funnily enough, Air Play over and over sounds like my brother. :p

What do you mean everyone calls assists on tech roll? That's super unsafe.

It's totally unsafe, but it's a weird habit I noticed people doing playing online and offline with my brother. On a knockdown, if no follow up/OTG is initiated, an assist is nearly guaranteed to be called on wakeup at the same time. It's so weird.

Azure J

I've been trying to do that since vanilla, and I've never gotten it to work for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. D:

I'm in the same boat myself honestly. :lol

From what I'm reading around though, there's a plink involved with the Air Dash H after Volcano. If that's not the case, someone let me know, because I need to steal the fuck out of this combo path with the swiftness. Dante has a box dash loop now.

Edit: Ohhhh, I caught it, jump back then air dash forward as fast as possible with the j.H after the Volcano.
Edit 2: Nope. Still going.
Edit 3: I'm confused.

See? Nerf Dante. Now that he can build 2.2 bars per combo, it won't be long until we see the 3 bars per combo reappear...

I'm joking.

You just know that the first thing I'm doing when I get this down is finding out how many shot loop reps and subsequent meter gain I can get going with it right? :lol

Combining this with the Midscreen Acid Rain stuff could probably mean 3 meter combos or 3 and change from a maximized reset opportunity.

lol we're cool. :p

Azure J

Trying to get this thing down makes me wonder, you can't super jump cancel Volcano like you can Seismo?

Edit because thread is slow: Does Spencer work with Dante/Strider at all?

Speaking of Dante and combo videos, Darksim and RayRay present Ultimate Dante.

I'm just flabbergasted right now.

cowboysmile5zb33.gif

Also is RayRay actually gonna try to main Dante now?

Azure J

How could he not work with two of the best assists in the game?

I see a lot of people running him with horizontal lock down style beams, projectiles, or physical hit boxes and a secondary "hit boxes everywhere" assist so I kinda wonder about my duo/shell's effectiveness with em. At the same time, I dunno. Something about Spencer isn't me.

Azure J

Sorry about the lag, AJ, I'm not sure what was going on there. Wish we could get a chance to play for real.

Yeah, I don't even know what was up since I haven't encountered lag like that ever playing the few GAF & SRK heads I have, and my internet as ass tier as Sixfortyfive can attest to. :p

Sucks though, I really wanted to play you.

Haven't touched this game since the summer and I think the reason I can't get into it is because of my characters and their combos. So I'm thinking about trying out new characters. Can you guys recommend characters that are easier to use for beginners? I would like to use characters with easier combos, or combos that aren't so long and are less likely to have characters falling out. I'm thinking about trying Sent, I liking watch good Sentinels like Infrit play.

Haven't touched this game since the summer and I think the reason I can't get into it is because of my characters and their combos. So I'm thinking about trying out new characters. Can you guys recommend characters that are easier to use for beginners? I would like to use characters with easier combos, or combos that aren't so long and are less likely to have characters falling out. I'm thinking about trying Sent, I liking watch good Sentinels like Infrit play.
Give a list of characters you like, and we'll tell you who to use.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
This is the character.

jbusTLE0ysX603.jpg

He's the Hulk but older so I assume stronger and maybe an extra point of armor on Gamma Charge.

Note the helmets along his loin cloth belt. I'm assuming he just stole all of those powers. One of them is everyone's favorite (and especially Karticles') Nova!

Just ignore all of the Iron Man helmets.

This is the character.

jbusTLE0ysX603.jpg

He's the Hulk but older so I assume stronger and maybe an extra point of armor on Gamma Charge.

Note the helmets along his loin cloth belt. I'm assuming he just stole all of those powers. One of them is everyone's favorite (and especially Karticles') Nova!

If Capcom ever has DLC plans for this game again, this should be it. Would be the most broken character.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, I don't even know what was up since I haven't encountered lag like that ever playing the few GAF & SRK heads I have, and my internet as ass tier as Sixfortyfive can attest to. :p

Sucks though, I really wanted to play you.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm wired now, so my side of things should be good. I experienced some lag with some other guys later, but not nearly that much.

I like characters with mobility options, so in this game it would have to be air dashes. Right now the characters that come to mind are Sentinel and Nova.
Good, so Sentinel, Nova, and an easy character with an air dash...Skrull comes to mind. Trish is probably the next easiest airdash character.

Solune

Trying to get this thing down makes me wonder, you can't super jump cancel Volcano like you can Seismo?

Edit because thread is slow: Does Spencer work with Dante/Strider at all?

Nah you can't, but teleport shenanigans are ahoy.

Spencer definitely can go with Dante, Bee is even running Jam Session. Strider, eh, you get full combos but depends on how you want to play Spencer. As a Bionic Spiderman zipping around until Vajra hits someone , or you wanna get that 80k.

Azure J

I like the idea of Bionic Spiderman and experiencing life on the other side of the "hai I'm gonn super jump offense and hassle you", but them 80-Kays man... :p

Eh, I'm good with Viper/Dante/Strider. Need to stop hopping around the cast and stick with something.

Good, so Sentinel, Nova, and an easy character with an air dash...Skrull comes to mind. Trish is probably the next easiest airdash character.

Actually someone told me before to try Trish instead of Magneto if I wanted an easier character. I do like her for here ability to trap and zone. I tried to do one of her bnbs a while back but the character kept falling out of the combo. I just need to give it more time.

GGs Zissou. The connection is really bad, and for some reason we keep getting that sync up error I've been seeing a lot of lately. I think it's best if we call it quits. Thanks for trying it out with me, though.

Zissou

GGs Zissou. The connection is really bad, and for some reason we keep getting that sync up error I've been seeing a lot of lately. I think it's best if we call it quits. Thanks for trying it out with me, though.

Thanks for the giving the connection a shot, Karst. It was sort of playable sometimes, but got really bad sporadically. I was pretty helpless against your Dorm- had no idea what to do against infinite meter. The lag didn't help, of course.

I wonder if any GAF folks are in my geographic vicinity. I've got to imagine at least a few marvel players are somewhere in asia. Anybody?

Thanks for the giving the connection a shot, Karst. It was sort of playable sometimes, but got really bad sporadically. I was pretty helpless against your Dorm- had no idea what to do against infinite meter. The lag didn't help, of course.

I wonder if any GAF folks are in my geographic vicinity. I've got to imagine at least a few marvel players are somewhere in asia. Anybody?
Where in Asia are you, again?

One of the reasons you felt so helpless against the infinite meter is having Doom on your team. Strider and Dante deal with it pretty well. That's why I had to run around trying to build meter to slowly chip Dante down with Chaotic Flames that one match, haha.

Zissou

Where in Asia are you, again?

One of the reasons you felt so helpless against the infinite meter is having Doom on your team. Strider and Dante deal with it pretty well. That's why I had to run around trying to build meter to slowly chip Dante down with Chaotic Flames that one match, haha.

I'm in Japan. I know doom doesn't do well against dorm, but I can't really blame team construction for my losses- I was just being solidly outplayed all around. I got kind of mentally guard-broken and started doing a fair amount of stupid stuff too as the matches went on, lol.

I think more than anything, the laws of physics dictated an across-the-globe connection will never really be suitable for a game like marvel. The unfortunate thing about not being able to play sets with GAFers is that I can't get advice on my play. My best bet would probably be finding a way to record my matches so people could critique my stuff.

I'm in Japan. I know doom doesn't do well against dorm, but I can't really blame team construction for my losses- I was just being solidly outplayed all around. I got kind of mentally guard-broken and started doing a fair amount of stupid stuff too as the matches went on, lol.

I think more than anything, the laws of physics dictated an across-the-globe connection will never really be suitable for a game like marvel. The unfortunate thing about not being able to play sets with GAFers is that I can't get advice on my play. My best bet would probably be finding a way to record my matches so people could critique my stuff.
Why not record online stuff? I heard Japan has amazing infrastructure. Or...where do people like Kusoru go to play?

I think we'll eventually have good global connections and netcode. This is the first real online game generation. 2D fighters can have great connections online. Capcom is just cheap.

In 20 years we'll get a re-release of MvC3 with better netcode, and fools like us will buy it for the nostalgia value.

Zissou

Why not record online stuff? I heard Japan has amazing infrastructure. Or...where do people like Kusoru go to play?

I think we'll eventually have good global connections and netcode. This is the first real online game generation. 2D fighters can have great connections online. Capcom is just cheap.

In 20 years we'll get a re-release of MvC3 with better netcode, and fools like us will buy it for the nostalgia value.

I should record some online matches- though I don't have a capture card so I'd have to take off screen video with my digital camera, but it'd probably still be acceptable quality.

I know capcom's netcode is pretty crap in the grand scheme of fighting games. It's unfortunate that I can't get in to any arcsys games- with how much everybody talks up the online play, I'm sure it'd be a much smoother experience. I just get get interested in them at all. If marvel wasn't around, I'd probably play KOF, but the netcode is supposedly pretty spotty there too.

I should record some online matches- though I don't have a capture card so I'd have to take off screen video with my digital camera, but it'd probably still be acceptable quality.

I know capcom's netcode is pretty crap in the grand scheme of fighting games. It's unfortunate that I can't get in to any arcsys games- with how much everybody talks up the online play, I'm sure it'd be a much smoother experience. I just get get interested in them at all. If marvel wasn't around, I'd probably play KOF, but the netcode is supposedly pretty spotty there too.
Honestly, I don't think I can enjoy fighting games that aren't Marvel. I love the team building mechanics, and I goddamn love tridashing. It's just so fun to swoop in for the kill. I will keep my eye out for Darkstalkers 4, though I'm skeptical of its quality since Ono is behind the game.

Your summary of netcode qualities is apt.

I would definitely be willing to critique a digital camera recording.

And they changed his moveset...
Yes, because airdash jH and air play isn't 75% percent of Jedah's game plan.

Aspiring tier whores have posters of NerdJosh at the character select screen picking various top tier teams throughout Marvel's life.
Mine's a poster of Alioune :3
i've been on the camera hating bandwagon for a long time now
Best fighting game camera ever.

Fantastic. First let's get Cthulhu in for Darkstalkers 4

Tweeted ^_^

I will keep my eye out for Darkstalkers 4, though I'm skeptical of its quality since Ono is behind the game.

All the SF and VS games before Ono were quality titles and AE2012 isn't the most competitive Street Fighter game ever made.

Top Bottom