• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I have the worst internet of all time.
I've been playing alot of LoL recently, been waiting on my copy of RE6 (God help me).
Resident Evil 6 is a really good game with unfair reviews by people going in expecting to hate it. It's probably my 3rd favorite RE after 4 and REmake. Only real issue is some weird forced camera stuff and a few of the levels are hard to see. The actual gameplay is among, if not the series' best.

Zissou

Honestly, I don't think I can enjoy fighting games that aren't Marvel. I love the team building mechanics, and I goddamn love tridashing. It's just so fun to swoop in for the kill. I will keep my eye out for Darkstalkers 4, though I'm skeptical of its quality since Ono is behind the game.

Your summary of netcode qualities is apt.

I would definitely be willing to critique a digital camera recording.

Cool, I'll if I can record a few and get them up for critiquing soon.

The real question is- what would happen if I tried to play GB from here?

The real question is- what would happen if I tried to play GB from here?
I have to look for the proper gif...
1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

And I hate Ben Stiller, so you know I want this.

It might actually be better than GB+me, though, since I'm in Chicago and GB is in CA.

Man... I wish I were still into Mahvel. I've got an elgato now, but the only game I can record besides Skullgirls is VSav. Everything else I like is "dead" or "dying". I wish I could have gotten it sooner. I would have recorded ton of matches from you guys alone.
I should record some online matches- though I don't have a capture card so I'd have to take off screen video with my digital camera, but it'd probably still be acceptable quality.

I know capcom's netcode is pretty crap in the grand scheme of fighting games. It's unfortunate that I can't get in to any arcsys games- with how much everybody talks up the online play, I'm sure it'd be a much smoother experience. I just get get interested in them at all. If marvel wasn't around, I'd probably play KOF, but the netcode is supposedly pretty spotty there too.
ASW netcode was good enough for smooth play with God's Beard on P4A. It's some potent stuff, brah.
Fantastic. First let's get Cthulhu in for Darkstalkers 4, and then we can begin on that campaign.
I wanted to help you out, but I just can't ask Ono for anything in regards to Darkstalkers. SF is no problem, but not DS. A Cthulu inspired monster ought to be a shoe in for a future game though. I feel sorry for Hsien-Ko though. Capcom seems to have a thing for her and tentacles.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone picking up Guilty Gear on XBLA when it's released?

Azure J

SolarPowered as my OG MahvelGAF bro, I'm kinda sad that we never got to run it back as I started improving. I understand how you feel towards the game though. I just hope I find some time to get matches in with you in our favorite "dead" game. :p

Karst, I want to support you but I really like the idea of a Gorgon. #TeamGorgon for me unless we can multivote in the future.

Haz makes a good point, Spencer has the best Japanese voice in the game.

HOODLEY HOO! AGHGHGHHHHH

ASW netcode was good enough for smooth play with God's Beard on P4A. It's some potent stuff, brah.

I wasn't at my dorm back then. At home is fine for anything.

edit: now that you mention it, my friend jojo is a huge RE fan and I'm gonna teach her how to play with Wesker/Nemesis/Chris, and she said I could use her place's internet to play online if anybody wants. Probably in a couple weeks on a friday or saturday.

I wanted to help you out, but I just can't ask Ono for anything in regards to Darkstalkers. SF is no problem, but not DS. A Cthulu inspired monster ought to be a shoe in for a future game though. I feel sorry for Hsien-Ko though. Capcom seems to have a thing for her and tentacles.
Why not?! :-O

Karst, I want to support you but I really like the idea of a Gorgon. #TeamGorgon for me unless we can multivote in the future.
Why not tweet him about both? :p

I thought the sougenmu thing just stuck them in hitstun in the air if they broke the TAC.
I recall the TAC as being unstoppable because they get "double TACed", once by you and once by the clone, and they can't stop both. I'm glad to be proven wrong, though.

The armored Hsien-ko glitch does something similar to what you say. If someone countered Hsien-ko's TAC, you both fall together and they have to survive a mix-up on the ground from Hsien-ko.

GatorBait

Cross posting this from the Toronto tourney thread:

I have basically played and stream monstered zero Marvel since EVO (life and other video games have gotten in the way). Going to start getting back into playing it and watching again. Have there been any interesting shifts in the meta game or any interesting teams that have proliferated since EVO?

Cross posting this from the Toronto tourney thread:

I have basically played and stream monstered zero Marvel since EVO (life and other video games have gotten in the way). Going to start getting back into playing it and watching again. Have there been any interesting shifts in the meta game or any interesting teams that have proliferated since EVO?
In terms of tournament metagame, ChrisG and FChamp's teams are king. Zero May Cry follows.

Dahbomb

Going to start getting back into playing it and watching again. Have there been any interesting shifts in the meta game or any interesting teams that have proliferated since EVO?
Hawkeye is respected now as a counter pick to numerous top tiers and zoning characters.

MODOK has been becoming more and more common same for Captain America. They deal with a lot of common threats in the game.

Nova was the most used character in top 16 of Seasons Beating. Certain has become more common since Infrit's performance at EVO.

Vergil + Vajra is now considered a major threat along with Viper + Dante or Viper + Vajra.

Dante players have started playing him better and started performing better with him.

ChrisG is currently the best in the world.

when's the last time fgtv streamed something?

also, i played about 14 matches with my new team last night. i still dont know what to do with nova other than to call task arrows -> box jump H -> bnb lol

i msg'd jetman last night for some psn matches but no response :( i think he might be the only west coast mahvel gaffer other than myself and beef

also, i played about 14 matches with my new team last night. i still dont know what to do with nova other than to call task arrows -> box jump H -> bnb lol

i msg'd jetman last night for some psn matches but no response :( i think he might be the only west coast mahvel gaffer other than myself and beef
Sometimes, instead of box jumping, c.M.

If you can box jump into j.H and c.M, and do a superjump down into j.L, c.L, you've mastered Nova. That's the entire character.

smurfx

get some go again
watch oni and evil ryu be in the next dark stalkers and be the best characters. darkstalkers fans thought they could get away from shotos? think again!

Why not?! :-O
Several reasons

None of which needs to be discussed in a Mahvel thread. Not trying to be cheeky. Just avoiding OT talk.
Vergil to be playable in DLC for DmC....

Capcom milking of the Vergil fanbase knows no bounds.
Is it milking because it is DLC?
watch oni and evil ryu be in the next dark stalkers and be the best characters. darkstalkers fans thought they could get away from shotos? think again!
Demitri is already a shoto and if you've ever seen a good Demitri in Darkstalkers you'll realize who the original shoto actually is. A certain GGPO player would make you wish they'd replace Demitri with Ken in DSIV.

I didn't think it'd be possible for the opponent to pop out of hitstun during Magneto's airdash upforward H flight loop. The more you know. I tried using Jam session after a full alioune loop to get it, but they pop out after 3 Hs. I doubt that there's even another assist that'll let me start it.

I guess I'll stick to doing it midscreen after the norcal starter.

Also, the Dante airdash H thing is really hard lol

New tech for my Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider team:
Current Strider bnb: c.LMHS, sj.MMH, qcf.L, j.MHS, call Dark Hole, df.H, s.S, sj.MMHS

New Morrigan tech: Any Shadow Blade can be XFCed into Soul Drain and it will connect. Basically, Dark Phoenix should never rise against Morrigan.

Dormammu/Strider tech: Dark Matter + Vajra x Dark Spell L, Dark Spell L, Dark Spell L, 3D0C, Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame all connects, but is finicky as hell because of the tight timing on the Dark Matter cancel, the three Dark Spell cancels, and the cancel into 3D0C.

Several reasons

None of which needs to be discussed in a Mahvel thread. Not trying to be cheeky. Just avoiding OT talk.
Psh. No one here cares about OT talk.

Dimitri.

Dahbomb

Is it milking because it is DLC?
Vergil first made playable in the SE version of DMC3 that came out a year later. $20 expansion.

Vergil then a playable character in UMVC3 as a $40 expansion after 9 months.

Vergil not a playable character in the retail day 1 disc of DmC but DLC or PC version later on.

That's the 3rd time they have milked the Vergil fans by not including him in the originals.

JeTmAn81

Sorry about that, i couldn't actually remember if you were a gaffer or not. I just do training mode on PS3 these days as it's downstairs and only on a wireless connection.

Azure J

I don't even know who would want such a terrible character anyway

YEAH I SAID IT. He's Dante's curmudgeonly brother.

I don't know what's worse, the idea that I knew what this was without looking it up or that it's so damn apt. /vocabulary nerd

@Darksim: How you gonna make a guess appearance and not share the knowhow on getting that ADF j.H post Volcano with Dante? :p

mr. puppy

Banned
All I learned from the Infrit/Fanatiq set is the Infrit's spencer is still a complete joke which means either:

His defense is complete shit b/c he can't defend incoming mixups unless he has sentinel super
His spencer is complete poo and cant hit confirm anything
He needs to get a new second character

(probably all 3)

Dahbomb

I saw that set and yeah Infrit's Spencer was dropping a lot of combos and confirms. I don't think he needs a new character but he needs to improve his game with him. It was his Nova that was doing work and getting the wins when he got started.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Karsticles what did you think of that Hulk character I would play him in a marvel versus capcom 4 and would be the complete antithesis to your whole entire team and I wouldn't even need to think to play and have my eyes closed and win and oh poor you.

He'd have good synergy with Vajra too IMHO.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
That Nova glitch is really silly. If Capcom doesn't acknowledge it at all it will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they are done with this game.

Looks like there's going to have to be a disqualification clause for using this at tournaments, similar to the Gambit glitch in MvC2.

Karsticles what did you think of that Hulk character I would play him in a marvel versus capcom 4 and would be the complete antithesis to your whole entire team and I wouldn't even need to think to play and have my eyes closed and win and oh poor you.

He'd have good synergy with Vajra too IMHO.
Haha, what are you talking about?

Also, I discovered that Morrigan > Hulk. Her c.L mashing goes right under drones, and I can chain like 10 of them together while waiting for the drones to pass over before I launch my opponent. Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider takes care of that.

How much of the team do they really need to patch a few glitches and remove the TAC infinites?
Not a lot of people.

They were "done" with the game when the costume glitch was fixed, too. I don't think that a glitch-fixing patch is entirely out of line even if they are done with the game. I assume being "done" means no more content/rebalancing.

Zissou

Vergil players:
What nerfs do you think would make him of acceptable fairness?

Do you really think he's that unfair? I don't play him, but he seems the right level of broken for marvel. He's really scary in xf3 with meters to burn, but he's also very vulnerable to snapback mix-ups due to his lack of air mobility, so it seems fine to me.

Do you really think he's that unfair? I don't play him, but he seems the right level of broken for marvel. He's really scary in xf3 with meters to burn, but he's also very vulnerable to snapback mix-ups due to his lack of air mobility, so it seems fine to me.
If a Vergil player comes in with sufficient meter, the game is over unless he makes a mistake. He can keep you in blockstun for a very, very long time while doing mix-up after mix-up, and all the while you're taking chip damage. I think his nigh-endless lockdown is a big problem in this game. In fact, nearly all of his problems stem from Spiral Swords being far too strong for a 1-bar hyper.

There is no other hyper in the game that automatically gives you near complete control of the flow of battle for 1 bar, and that's just one of the virtues Spiral Swords has.

Top Bottom