• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

kirblar

There has been no sudden change in tone at Capcom, don't be fooled by PR telling you they still care about you.
They were doing all they could to lower expectations previously, throwing ice water out there.

Now they're doing the opposite. Something's up. How "big" that something is? We'll see.

Dahbomb

Spiderman hitstun and damage scaling glitch. This is pretty damn cool, hitstun AND damage scaling reset upon hitting Maximum Spider on the first hit of a multi-hitting assist. Could be huge.
I wonder if this would be possible with other cinematic hypers.

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this because this could potentially trigger DHC glitches again.

Iron Man has a TAC infinite in all three direction, and still no one plays him.
Because Doom exists.

SmokeMaxX

Spiderman hitstun and damage scaling glitch. This is pretty damn cool, hitstun AND damage scaling reset upon hitting Maximum Spider on the first hit of a multi-hitting assist. Could be huge.

There has been no sudden change in tone at Capcom, don't be fooled by PR telling you they still care about you.

Video is well put together and actually has some plausible explanations unlike the glitches where some capture state assists supposedly reset damage/scaling under very specific scenarios.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They were doing all they could to lower expectations previously, throwing ice water out there.

Now they're doing the opposite. Something's up. How "big" that something is? We'll see.
Since when have they done the opposite outside of Sven deflecting people over to Marvel's folks? Even if Marvel wants to do it, who says Capcom does? No one with influence has implicated their official stance has changed.

Child please.

Iron Man has a TAC infinite in all three direction, and still no one plays him.
Eh, TAC infinites mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things and why someone would play a character.

vg260

Since when have they done the opposite outside of Sven deflecting people over to Marvel's folks? Even if Marvel wants to do it, who says Capcom does? No one with influence has implicated their official stance has changed.

Sven had been saying repeatedly on Unity no more updates were happening well before the Marvel Twitter stuff recently. The only reason he cited the Marvel guys is because there was a thread where someone specifically asked who at Marvel to contact to show support because they were getting dead-end responses from him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sven had been saying repeatedly on Unity no more updates were happening well before the Marvel Twitter stuff recently. The only reason he cited the Marvel guys is because there was a thread where someone specifically asked who at Marvel to contact to show support because they were getting dead-end responses from him.
I'm aware of this. And as far as I can see, none of that has changed after he's sent them Marvel's way.

And even if Marvel dudes were down for it, I don't think Capcom would be or find it profitable TBH.

Eh, TAC infinites mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things and why someone would play a character.

That's not the point. The point is "new tech" isn't going to sway everyone to pick Spider Man. Since TAC infinite have been found everyone still play their characters. Players that play characters that do have the TAC infinite (like Doom) benefit greatly (Champ, Pr Balrog, Chris G etc..). However people still play that same ol shit.

Spider Man isn't getting picked up anytime soon. This game in it's current stage w/o a patch is going to be a lot of Vergil, Doom, Magneto, Zero, Nova etc..

Characters like Spider Man will remain niche regardless of what new tech comes out. Even Morridoom wasn't new tech it was old tech but revise and edited (with the addition of doom's HM). There was nothing new about Morrigan mirror super. And the zero frenzy? Was the same thing. Lighting loops wasn't new tech it was old tech that people finally say "alright it's time to win."

vg260

I'm aware of this. And as far as I can see, none of that has changed after he's sent them Marvel's way.

And even if Marvel dudes were down for it, I don't think Capcom would be or find it profitable TBH.

Yeah, I don't think it's a matter of wanting to necessarily, just that there's probably no financial reason for them to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's not the point. The point is "new tech" isn't going to sway everyone to pick Spider Man. Since TAC infinite have been found everyone still play their characters. Players that play characters that do have the TAC infinite (like Doom) benefit greatly (Champ, Pr Balrog, Chris G etc..). However people still play that same ol shit.

Spider Man isn't getting picked up anytime soon. This game in it's current stage w/o a patch is going to be a lot of Vergil, Doom, Magneto, Zero, Nova etc..

Characters like Spider Man will remain niche regardless of what new tech comes out. Even Morridoom wasn't new tech it was old tech but revise and edited (with the addition of doom's HM). There was nothing new about Morrigan mirror super. And the zero frenzy? Was the same thing. Lighting loops wasn't new tech it was old tech that people finally say "alright it's time to win."
I never said it would sway people to play the character.. just that it might have bigger implications in terms of engine exploits, on top of it being obviously helpful to some extent for existing Spiderman players.

vg260

I never said it would sway people to play the character.. just that it might have bigger implications in terms of engine exploits, on top of it being obviously helpful to some extent for existing Spiderman players.

Hopefully it's Spidey-specific.

Dahbomb

Honestly speaking whenever a new tech comes out it almost always benefits top tiers anyway. Like the DHC glitch, sure characters like Storm, X-23 and Deadpool could get TODs with it... but why play those characters to DHC glitch when you could use Wesker, Wolverine, Dante, Magneto, Zero etc?

Same for TAC infinites... I mean why use Storm and IM for that purpose when you can use Doom plus get Missiles for your troubles?

For the record I am not discounting new techs or that Spider Man tech, I am just commenting on usual trends. The "glitch" seems to be tied to Maximum Spider being a cinematic hyper but it's hard to say.

Marz

So with PRog winning with Wolverine I've been running Wolverine combinations through my mind and I've been thinking of Wolverine/Doom/Magneto. Thinking of Magneto on hyper grav and Doom on Plasma Beam watchu guys think????

SmokeMaxX

So with PRog winning with Wolverine I've been running Wolverine combinations through my mind and I've been thinking of Wolverine/Doom/Magneto. Thinking of Magneto on hyper grav and Doom on Plasma Beam watchu guys think????

Wolvie/Plasma is very strong. Most people don't think there's any reason to run Mags on hypergrav assist. I disagree with that sentiment, but I don't think your team needs it. I know one guy who runs Wolvie/Mags/Doom with EMD/Missiles. YMMV though. EMD + Plasma Beam is kinda a lot of beam coverage, but they both work well with Wolvie.

Pretty much only Phoenix and X-23 got massive buffs from TAC glitches.

Wolverine and Magneto are one of the worst pairings in the game. They have almost nothing to offer each other. Sure, you can get some situational conversions with hyper grav assist, but it's not really worth considering. Especially since Plasma Beam is already Wolverine's best assist.

I'd play Wolverine/---/Doom and stick someone else second like Skrull or Frank West or Dormammu.

Marz

Pretty much only Phoenix and X-23 got massive buffs from TAC glitches.

Wolverine and Magneto are one of the worst pairings in the game. They have almost nothing to offer each other. Sure, you can get some situational conversions with hyper grav assist, but it's not really worth considering. Especially since Plasma Beam is already Wolverine's best assist.

I'd play Wolverine/---/Doom and stick someone else second like Skrull or Frank West or Dormammu.

Don't you play X23 and Mags together? What does he offer her?

I'm now seriously considering this. I don't go because most nights I would rather be at home drinking a beer and watching my Lakers get their asses handed to them instead.

heh losing to the craptors. but yeah, i used to go pretty often, but im just too busy to go on tuesdays anymore.

Solune

I run Wolvie with Hyper Grav, it's not bad I think. Sounds like a powerful team ala PR Rog

Azure J

reTKSop.gif

EMD is mediocre compared to plasma beam for Wolvie, the lockdown and projectile invulnerability is inferior and you'll have a much harder time fighting zoning with EMD. The thing about PR Rog's team is that Rapid Slash assist is terrific for Wolvie for incoming mixups and it makes Wolvie almost Zero/Viper like in his incoming mixup pressure. You aren't going to find a lot of assists that can be a subsitute for Rapid Slash, Jam Session and drones are possible alternatives but good luck comboing off them from a throw.

The main problem is that EMD doesn't let Wolverine to combo off of Berserker Slash or throws, Hyper Grav doesn't help wolverine get in and only helps with combos at close range, and the DHC synergy is worthless.

And that Shredder guy is not making a good case for his assist choices.

Don't you play X23 and Mags together? What does he offer her?

Very little. I can use it as ghetto lockdown while I'm charging neck slicer, crossups with mirage feint, and linking H into a charged neck slicer. That's about it. the DHCs are basically worthless.

EMD is mediocre compared to plasma beam for Wolvie, the lockdown and projectile invulnerability is inferior and you'll have a much harder time fighting zoning with EMD. The thing about PR Rog's team is that Rapid Slash assist is terrific for Wolvie for incoming mixups and it makes Wolvie almost Zero/Viper like in his incoming mixup pressure. You aren't going to find a lot of assists that can be a subsitute for Rapid Slash, Jam Session and drones are possible alternatives but good luck comboing off them from a throw.

Wolverine back throw with drones assist is the greatest combo ever. The drones hit from behind sentinel.

Solune

He combos off of EMD from throws. Wolvie can also combo off of a crossup EMD provided he doesn't hit with the actual Berserker Slash.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Late and OT, but I just saw what did Karst in.

Sometimes it's simultaneously saddening and amusing when your assumptions about another person are proven to be 100% correct.

Guys how does a Felicia/Spencer/Taskmaster team look on paper?
Taskmaster is a poor anchor imo but a great assist for the first 2, so yeah, that could work.

The only match-ups I absolutely loathe fighting against with point Felicia are characters like Zero, Doom, and Trish, who can hang at the top of the screen forever and effectively cut off any approach you attempt. Neither of those assists really help with that. I'd probably start Spencer first for those.

Yeah, it's sad. I never watched SCR 2011, so watched that Top 8 on youtube and he wouldn't not pick him.

A lot can happen in a year, but it was a major, so guess he got his moral obligation done with that character.

Toski

Late and OT, but I just saw what did Karst in.

Sometimes it's simultaneously saddening and amusing when your assumptions about another person are proven to be 100% correct.

Taskmaster is a poor anchor imo but a great assist for the first 2, so yeah, that could work.

The only match-ups I absolutely loathe fighting against with point Felicia are characters like Zero, Doom, and Trish, who can hang at the top of the screen forever and effectively cut off any approach you attempt. Neither of those assists really help with that. I'd probably start Spencer first for those.

Taskmaster is a good anchor if you YOLO shield skills with XF3. I had a guy dead to rights with almost a full health team and XF3 Taskmaster is almost as bad as XF3 Wesker.

Azure J

Why is Hunter May Stride (Zero (Hadangeki)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajra)) so batshit insane? Months of messing around with this team in curiosity lead to a discovery just now in my sleepless stupor that finally made Zero click and cemented this team as my second team without fail.

Strider with cloned Hadangeki assist is some of the dumbest shit in the game. Dante using them mid Weasel Shot is surprisingly cool. Zero with both assists though? Absolute madness. I once thought you had to confirm off every Vajra that connects. Now I just set up oki or Sougenmu up for chip.

Hitting 838K without a meter spent (seriously, wat.son) and getting 1,018K with a Fraudkkoha ending on that same combo is just too damn much (940K if you do the MH-f.H combo, previous values if you do the c.MH combo starter). Do I even need Lightning Loops with those options?

I still need a Zero pro to teach me more about the robot though, but I'm kinda excited to have a different point to try out.

mr. puppy

Banned
I'm not sure those Dante/Strider teams are that great. They're good, sure, but have serious problems against the better grounded opponents (Wolvie/Vergil/Viper) and really don't do damage.

Some of the guys at SRK discuss Viper/Strange/Dante a lot, which is actually a great team except for Strange also getting gangbanged by the ground guys pretty hard. Maybe Viper/Dorm/Dante would work well hmmmm.

Bizazedo

Hitting 838K without a meter spent (seriously, wat.son) and getting 1,018K with a Fraudkkoha ending on that same combo is just too damn much (940K if you do the MH-f.H combo, previous values if you do the c.MH combo starter). Do I even need Lightning Loops with those options?

I still need a Zero pro to teach me more about the robot though, but I'm kinda excited to have a different point to try out.

You always need a lightning loop. Dahbomb hates the argument, but you need everything the little robot has because his HP is too low in the current meta.

I intentionally stayed away from the LL forever, but now that I'm actually trying to do it..

Even when I fail it, which is often, especially going to the left, it does so much damage it's retarded. That's not the main benefit, though.

The main benefit is being able to do it even on weird, random hits that you're not ready to do your normal big combo with.

For team discussion, my friend claims this team rocks MorriDoom..

MODOK / Dormammu / Strange (Bolts of Balthakk). Claims the Bolts assist keeps Doom up long enough for MODOK to get his downward shot at him. Additionally, opposing missiles that hit MODOK allow him to reset his actions in the air. As he said, he WANTS to get hit to hurt Doom. Add in floating mines, analyze cubes, and shields, and he has a good way to keep out incoming.

Additionally, two meters = dead Doom.

I've been toying with Wesker / Nova / Strider. Retarded lol.

Dahbomb

game is too unsafe for him, he won't win anything. its like when daigo tried to wolv/dante/akuma
Vergil + Missiles.

EZ.

But yea he will get blown up although if he sticks with it for at least a year then maybe he will start making some waves. Depends upon how seriously he goes in but I mean he did spent like 3 hours with Justin cracking it out.

Infiltrations is FUCKING PRINGLES at this game. He is getting hit by like day -5 mix ups.

Hey Mahvel-GAF! Posted this over in the FGC weekly thread, but my account just got approved here and I'm psyched to be able to join in on some FGC shenanigans with all of you. If anyone wants to play any Marvel, my PSN is Smedwicks, and I run a pretty decent Cap/Nova/Doom team. Just let me know if any of you guys want to play!

LakeEarth

Hidden Missiles dawg. Makes almost everything safe. Just don't get thrown.

I've been playing Infrit's Nova/Spencer/Doom team, with beam. I'm thinking... why don't I just go missiles? I get better lockdown, I get 2 extra 80k's for Spencer. I know I'm "supposed" to go with beam, so I go with it, but I should probably give it a try.

Solune

I've been playing Infrit's Nova/Spencer/Doom team, with beam. I'm thinking... why don't I just go missiles? I get better lockdown, I get 2 extra 80k's for Spencer. I know I'm "supposed" to go with beam, so I go with it, but I should probably give it a try.

It does give better opportunities for mixups, damage, and lockdown but you dont get that horizontal coverage for approaching. Remember PR Rog did just beat Chris G with beam.

The only reason i didn't like it was because missiles doesn't go that well with nova. And the two extra 80k is an extension so if you call doom to get in it doesn't help anyways, and beam is better for that anyways.

Azure teach me useless style combo with Dante and I'll give you that robot.

Top Bottom