• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

TWILT

Banned
GGs Slasher. I'm so free to Hulk and Wright lol.

I think I need a new team; my Strider continues to do little work outside from Vajra and XF3 derpage.

It kind of funny TWILT I am kinda surprised I did pretty well against you, I don't play you often but from what I remember of past games was that you body me pretty bad, so I was so happy that maybe from the time I last played you till today I really improved my game.

I was kinda pissed that I turned my capture card off right before that taunt comeback. LOL that made my day.

TWILT

Banned
Yeah, I don't know why I taunted when you still had like a pixel of health left on Turnabout Wright; I felt so dumb afterwards lol. On the other hand, one of the earlier games was literally the first time I ever managed to land Wesker's projectile counter for a happy birthday.

I think you've definitely improved since we've last played. I do think I need to respect Hulk more though; Hammer is not gonna beat Stand H/Gamma Charge damnit. x_x

Zissou

After trying and failing miserably to pick up the raccoon a while ago, I've been messing around with him more and things are starting to click for me. He's actually a lot of fun, just super awkward to get used to. He reminds a lot of how doom was for me in vanilla- picked him up initially for assists and then grew on me as a point character. I wish there was more in the way of guides/resources for the little guy (though there stuff here and there, like the unblockable set-up. I need neutral game advice!). I also need to sit down and try to learn the boulder trap loop- though I'm not looking forward to it (T_T)

After trying and failing miserably to pick up the raccoon a while ago, I've been messing around with him more and things are starting to click for me. He's actually a lot of fun, just super awkward to get used to. He reminds a lot of how doom was for me in vanilla- picked him up initially for assists and then grew on me as a point character. I wish there was more in the way of guides/resources for the little guy (though there stuff here and there, like the unblockable set-up. I need neutral game advice!). I also need to sit down and try to learn the boulder trap loop- though I'm not looking forward to it (T_T)

All I can really say about the neutral, is to not forget the rocket skates and that they're special and super cancellable.

Zissou

All I can really say about the neutral, is to not forget the rocket skates and that they're special and super cancellable.

What are some concrete useful sequences involving cancelling rocket skates? I think you mentioned a while ago that you can do blockstrings into backward rocket skates xx spitfire to keep yourself safe while pressuring your opponent? Is it also useful for feinting- like foward rocket skates cancelled into spitfire and things like that? Also, to what extent do you think it's wise to lay down different persistent traps during the neutral game?

That was only theory though. The most common use I give them is backwards skates xx Claymore, forward skates xx Log Trap, and upback air skates xx Spitfire. There was this one awesome time when I did forward skates, and my opponent reacted with a low attack, but right before it hit I cancelled into the spring super and hit him instead it was a fun thing to see.

Also, nothing wrong with setting up traps whenever you can, just be careful to not get hit during it. Obviously don't get hit before they activate either or else it would have been a waste.

Just reading these posts is really making me want to play UMvC3 again. I haven't played it in a good while, due to me having so many other games to play. :p I'm going to return once more!

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
Just reading these posts is really making me want to play UMvC3 again. I haven't played it in a good while, due to me having so many other games to play. :p I'm going to return once more!

Opposite for me. Me and karst playes about 50 games. I hadn't played in a few weeks and before that a good month or 2 (started playing cuz of the tourney). Marvel just is a little (a lot) stale now. Being the ONLY game ive played since vanilla this is a little saddening. Do you guys think marvel is dying? Seems like we are in dire need of an update of some sort to keep the levels of hype up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Opposite for me. Me and karst playes about 50 games. I hadn't played in a few weeks and before that a good month or 2 (started playing cuz of the tourney). Marvel just is a little (a lot) stale now. Being the ONLY game ive played since vanilla this is a little saddening. Do you guys think marvel is dying? Seems like we are in dire need of an update of some sort to keep the levels of hype up.

It's nowhere near dead. If you want something else to play after it's out give BBCP a try. Until then Marvel is pretty much the only solid fast paced fighter.

Oh wait skullgirls.... Yeah wait for BBCP :p

onionfrog

A comprehensive rebalance patch would be enough to get me hyped.

Any wishes for a new expansion are dead to me at this point.

I'm up for any games at some point today, guys.

PSN - leechaolan

I'm not very good. I play on pad, so that should tell you. lol. Trying to learn a character with a good beam assist so I can get better openings. Trying Dr. Strange out. Would learn doom, but doom is meh. I know he's really good, but I can't tri-dash worth a crap.

Zissou

That was only theory though. The most common use I give them is backwards skates xx Claymore, forward skates xx Log Trap, and upback air skates xx Spitfire. There was this one awesome time when I did forward skates, and my opponent reacted with a low attack, but right before it hit I cancelled into the spring super and hit him instead it was a fun thing to see.

Also, nothing wrong with setting up traps whenever you can, just be careful to not get hit during it. Obviously don't get hit before they activate either or else it would have been a waste.

Thanks, I'll see what I can put into practice.

Really? I'd love a patch to even things out, but I've been maining the same team since almost day one, and I find new stuff all the time.

Many of the good players around here can play well on pad and can do stuff like the Lightning Loops on a 360 pad. Saying you suck just for using a pad is just an excuse.

I'm up for any games at some point today, guys.

PSN - leechaolan

I'm not very good. I play on pad, so that should tell you. lol. Trying to learn a character with a good beam assist so I can get better openings. Trying Dr. Strange out. Would learn doom, but doom is meh. I know he's really good, but I can't tri-dash worth a crap.

you're not that bad execution-wise. like people here are saying, there are plenty of examples of good pad players (fanatiq, bee, masta cj, wolfkrone [though i dont think he plays marvel competitively, but does play viper] i think alioune uses pad too), and there are some great pad players here on gaf too.

from when i played you, i think you just need to find the right team. i would ask the thread and give the pool of characters you like so we can help you out, but you seemed to have a good grasp on cap, nemesis and wesker. i know wesker is a bff for nemesis.

JeTmAn81

I can tri-dash on the vita. It's definitely doable.

I started learning the Doom down TAC swag combo on Vita yesterday. I was almost able to get the whole thing in a couple hours of practice. So yeah, you can do pretty much whatever on pad, although less so on Vita because it's missing those two important extra shoulder buttons so charge characters are tougher.

I started learning the Doom down TAC swag combo on Vita yesterday. I was almost able to get the whole thing in a couple hours of practice. So yeah, you can do pretty much whatever on pad, although less so on Vita because it's missing those two important extra shoulder buttons so charge characters are tougher.

which one are you working on? I have the down and side TACs pretty much set (in training). really need to do Up and mid-screen ones next

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Scanning twitter to see if people are still asking Marvel for updates I see a disproportionate amount of Japanese tweets for umvc3. Has the game gotten a cult following in Japan in the mean time? Last I heard they were pretty much ignoring it barring some outlier players like Kusoru.

JeTmAn81

which one are you working on? I have the down and side TACs pretty much set (in training). really need to do Up and mid-screen ones next

I just started with the down one, so I haven't tried the others yet. I found a video that goes through all of them in slow motion. I think the others will be easier to get than this first one as there seem to be some duplicated sections throughout the different TAC direction versions. So far I do pretty well up to the point where you do the j.H, M, M, Plasma Beam, M, Molecular Shield, Sphere Flame. Not sure what the best timing is on that. I can pretty much do all the previous stuff about as fast as I can go and it seems to work well.

I just started with the down one, so I haven't tried the others yet. I found a video that goes through all of them in slow motion. I think the others will be easier to get than this first one as there seem to be some duplicated sections throughout the different TAC direction versions. So far I do pretty well up to the point where you do the j.H, M, M, Plasma Beam, M, Molecular Shield, Sphere Flame. Not sure what the best timing is on that. I can pretty much do all the previous stuff about as fast as I can go and it seems to work well.

you start the double M (one hit each) as they are falling. you want the butter gun to hit pretty meaty so it shoots them up a good distance. The longer you let the opponent fall after that butter gun but before they fall out is a bit lenient, but the longer you wait the better. after the double M in the plasma beam, you wait till just after the second hit of the beam and let your M hit the opponent twice before the rocks into flame spear

JeTmAn81

you start the double M (one hit each) as they are falling. you want the butter gun to hit pretty meaty so it shoots them up a good distance. The longer you let the opponent fall after that butter gun but before they fall out is a bit lenient, but the longer you wait the better. after the double M in the plasma beam, you wait till just after the second hit of the beam and let your M hit the opponent twice before the rocks into flame spear

Thanks, I will try to implement that. What about the timing on the two M's before the j.H? Should those be one hit or two hits each? I'm also rocking the various j.L's pretty much as fast as I can mash them out though I've noticed during the j.L, j.L, j.M, j.M sequence you can them more slowly.

You might be doing a different TAC than me for the down. The first one I tried had multiple in-air dashes with light punches, which i hated on the vita. doable, just not into it.

The one I do now starts with Down TAC, instant lp, M (2hits), M(2hits), F+H (foot dive), wave dash UF, lp, M (2 hits), flight, 3 reps, 2 lp, M (2hits), M (2hits), butter gun, then the ending.

Maybe post a video of the one you're doing and it would help.

I will say the biggest thing about doing these combos are the positions of your character and the opponent. I've sped up different parts of the entire combo to compensate for these positions to ultimate reach the end gate of 2 M (one hit each) plasma (2 hits) M (2) into rocks.

What also was a big help is realizing where my "hard parts" were, and focusing on getting those down. If I messed up, I like to check input data to see if it was a an execution error, of if my timing was off. If it's off, I want to know if I'm early or late, and if so, look for visual clues to help my not cause that problem next time.

Personally, I find the side TAC much easier. I did see FChamp do an UP TAC last night that looked just as easy that I think i'm going to learn

JeTmAn81

You might be doing a different TAC than me for the down. The first one I tried had multiple in-air dashes with light punches, which i hated on the vita. doable, just not into it.

The one I do now starts with Down TAC, instant lp, M (2hits), M(2hits), F+H (foot dive), wave dash UF, lp, M (2 hits), flight, 3 reps, 2 lp, M (2hits), M (2hits), butter gun, then the ending.

Maybe post a video of the one you're doing and it would help.

I will say the biggest thing about doing these combos are the positions of your character and the opponent. I've sped up different parts of the entire combo to compensate for these positions to ultimate reach the end gate of 2 M (one hit each) plasma (2 hits) M (2) into rocks.

What also was a big help is realizing where my "hard parts" were, and focusing on getting those down. If I messed up, I like to check input data to see if it was a an execution error, of if my timing was off. If it's off, I want to know if I'm early or late, and if so, look for visual clues to help my not cause that problem next time.

Personally, I find the side TAC much easier. I did see FChamp do an UP TAC last night that looked just as easy that I think i'm going to learn

Yeah I think mine is different. It's from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVygQpEu-c

It's L, M, F+H, ADF, L, M, Flight, L, L, ADU, L, L, ADF, L, L, M, ADUF, L, L, M, M, H, M, M, L Plasma Beam, M, Molecular Shield, Sphere Flame.

Up to the L, L, M, M sequence you can pretty much mash stuff out as fast as you can go and it connects fine, at least on big characters like Dormammu. After that is where the timing becomes murkier.

Yeah I think mine is different. It's from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVygQpEu-c

It's L, M, F+H, ADF, L, M, Flight, L, L, ADU, L, L, ADF, L, L, M, ADUF, L, L, M, M, H, M, M, L Plasma Beam, M, Molecular Shield, Sphere Flame.

Up to the L, L, M, M sequence you can pretty much mash stuff out as fast as you can go and it connects fine, at least on big characters like Dormammu. After that is where the timing becomes murkier.

Yea, that was the first one (down TAC) that I started with, but like I said, I didn't care for all the dashing with the Ls and what have you. The problem with vita Marvel is everyone that is left has terrible connections. I wanted a combo with less things to worry about, and that didn't seem like one of them.

For the particular combo you are learning (and I've done a few times) you only 1 M to hit one time, except for the L,L,M, M you want the last hit of M to hit twice, as well as the M after the plasma beam to also hit 2 times.

JeTmAn81

Yea, that was the first one (down TAC) that I started with, but like I said, I didn't care for all the dashing with the Ls and what have you. The problem with vita Marvel is everyone that is left has terrible connections. I wanted a combo with less things to worry about, and that didn't seem like one of them.

For the particular combo you are learning (and I've done a few times) you only 1 M to hit one time, except for the L,L,M, M you want the last hit of M to hit twice, as well as the M after the plasma beam to also hit 2 times.

Cool, I will try that. This stuff is so much easier to learn when someone can highlight the finer points. I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out the right time to dash cancel the j.S footdive in Doom's bnb's.

Also, if people think Marvel is garbage online on the consoles, they need to try the Vita version for an eye-opening experience. Everything is laggy, it's nearly impossible to get a match with someone in your own country, and almost every player match session randomly drops after 2-3 matches max. It's disgusting. Good thing it's still useful for training mode.

Cool, I will try that. This stuff is so much easier to learn when someone can highlight the finer points. I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out the right time to dash cancel the j.S footdive in Doom's bnb's.

Also, if people think Marvel is garbage online on the consoles, they need to try the Vita version for an eye-opening experience. Everything is laggy, it's nearly impossible to get a match with someone in your own country, and almost every player match session randomly drops after 2-3 matches max. It's disgusting. Good thing it's still useful for training mode.

Yea, I only ever played on Vita. I got the console version some time ago, but never made the transition. It was only after I moved to X Tekken, then back to this game that I realized how.....bad....the vita version was. It is definitely invaluable for training mode.

I recently switched vitas and forgot to backup my marvel save. Good bye 1st lord on vita :(.

Again, the only reason I'm able to give you this type of Doom TAC help is because I only learned these about 2 weeks ago. I drop my doom BnBs a ton on Vita so I didn't really feel the need to get better at TACs so I kind of took a step backwards before I move on again.

JeTmAn81

Yea, I only ever played on Vita. I got the console version some time ago, but never made the transition. It was only after I moved to X Tekken, then back to this game that I realized how.....bad....the vita version was. It is definitely invaluable for training mode.

I recently switched vitas and forgot to backup my marvel save. Good bye 1st lord on vita :(.

Again, the only reason I'm able to give you this type of Doom TAC help is because I only learned these about 2 weeks ago. I drop my doom BnBs a ton on Vita so I didn't really feel the need to get better at TACs so I kind of took a step backwards before I move on again.

Vita only? And you actually played enough ranked matches (AKA the real ragequit hell, since everyone's a ragequitter) to get 1st Lord? Bless your soul. I definitely recommend playing on consoles as it's better in all ways other than portability. I play on stick on console so there's been quite an adjustment to doing stuff on pad, but you should be able to do everything on a console pad pretty easily.

Vita only? And you actually played enough ranked matches (AKA the real ragequit hell, since everyone's a ragequitter) to get 1st Lord? Bless your soul. I definitely recommend playing on consoles as it's better in all ways other than portability. I play on stick on console so there's been quite an adjustment to doing stuff on pad, but you should be able to do everything on a console pad pretty easily.

Yea, but then again, this game was the reason I bought a vita. If it weren't for the rage quitters, I'm sure I would have made it to Master lol. There's so many on there it's ridiculous.

Not to mention all the auto-block people making mixups a sham. For some reason, I absolutely suck at standing grabs unless it's a command grab or an air grab. Easier for me on the stick to wave dash into a grab.

Scanning twitter to see if people are still asking Marvel for updates I see a disproportionate amount of Japanese tweets for umvc3. Has the game gotten a cult following in Japan in the mean time? Last I heard they were pretty much ignoring it barring some outlier players like Kusoru.

Japan hasn't had anything American to like ever since Marn quit SF4, so I guess Marvel is the new token western thing?

What? Every match that I have had, was no lag included, I would rarely ever get it. I thought it ran pretty good. But for sure, I have ran into so many people who raged quit on me, it was ridiculous.

JeTmAn81

Yea, but then again, this game was the reason I bought a vita. If it weren't for the rage quitters, I'm sure I would have made it to Master lol. There's so many on there it's ridiculous.

Not to mention all the auto-block people making mixups a sham. For some reason, I absolutely suck at standing grabs unless it's a command grab or an air grab. Easier for me on the stick to wave dash into a grab.

What is this? There's some kind of auto-block on Vita?

It's actually a bit ironic that I've started to practice Doom swag combos on the Vita since I decided to pick low execution teams for that platform. But I started playing Wolverine/Doom/Ammy and having Doom on a second means big opportunities for TAC's. So why not. Doom's not really a high-execution character anyway, at least not like Magneto or Viper.

I find it impossible to believe the vita version is lag-free, especially if you've tried to play in the past 2 weeks.

What are combos again?

edit : Lol play in a lobby for 20 matches and you'll see

i've wanted to learn Mags a ton, but he's pretty much unplayable on the vita (online).

I can do his roms a bit online with M instead of H (after the super jump cancel) but starting combos and converting is just too ridiculous.

What is this? There's some kind of auto-block on Vita?

It's actually a bit ironic that I've started to practice Doom swag combos on the Vita since I decided to pick low execution teams for that platform. But I started playing Wolverine/Doom/Ammy and having Doom on a second means big opportunities for TAC's. So why not. Doom's not really a high-execution character anyway, at least not like Magneto or Viper.

Maybe you can hold one direction on the analog and another on the d-pad?

JeTmAn81

Maybe you can hold one direction on the analog and another on the d-pad?

Boooooo

Actually, when I first started playing UMVC3 on the Vita I was able to get decent connections online, even when hotspotting to my 4G phone (Karsticles is rolling in his grave at this statement). It seems to have gotten a lot worse recently. Maybe something happened with PSN.

Boooooo

Actually, when I first started playing UMVC3 on the Vita I was able to get decent connections online, even when hotspotting to my 4G phone (Karsticles is rolling in his grave at this statement). It seems to have gotten a lot worse recently. Maybe something happened with PSN.

I think it's just the people that normally play on a regular basis. That's not to say you can't get a good connection, but when most of the regulars are from Mexico it doesn't help too much.

I find it impossible to believe the vita version is lag-free, especially if you've tried to play in the past 2 weeks.

What are combos again?

edit : Lol play in a lobby for 20 matches and you'll see

Hmm. That could be it, since I haven't played it in a while. But I seriously had no problem with lag, I've 2-3 hours continously every night on ranked. Still with a rarity of lag. :eek:

JeTmAn81

It won't happen against a good Morridoom.

It's unlikely, but then again I saw Slasher get Turnabout mode (all the evidence, and the objection landed) in eight real-time seconds in one of his matches. So you never know.

Hmm. That could be it, since I haven't played it in a while. But I seriously had no problem with lag, I've 2-3 hours continously every night on ranked. Still with a rarity of lag. :eek:

Where do you live? There are definitely a lot of players in Mexico. Oftentimes I will see country flags I don't even recognize, which is pretty funny. It makes me want to try to figure out where that person was from.

Where do you live? There are definitely a lot of players in Mexico. Oftentimes I will see country flags I don't even recognize, which is pretty funny. It makes me want to try to figure out where that person was from.

Nowhere too special. I live in Austin, TX. What's funny, is I don't thinkg I have actually gone against players from Mexico, probably like once or twice. Well, most likely due to the time I play it. Hah.

I click allow on everything so that may have something to do with it. I'd rather not wait for 5 minutes to find one match (while my screen goes dim and I think it will disconnect) only to have that one person rage quit.

All this talk of the Vita version makes me sad how crappy the online community is in that version. People with 500 win streaks, because if they lose one character it's quitin time. It's so easy to do. So all three legit players that are currently playing will never find each other. The Vita version does make for an excellent portable training room.

Imagine God's Beard...training room whenever and wherever you are...testing theories on the fly....yea.......

Top Bottom