• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Solune

Storm with missiles isn't that good, because the missiles scale combo greatly and she's going to do terrible damage in this setup. Your team is going to have a nightmare coming back when Magneto goes down early.

Uhhh, you know that outside of Drones, Missiles is one of the few assists where Storm can get more than 1 Hail storm off normally? Do you even play this game?

Uhhh, you know that outside of Drones, Missiles is one of the few assists where Storm can get more than 1 Hail storm off normally? Do you even play this game?

Yeah you can get more than 1 hail storm off normally with X Factor too, but do you think Storm will have a lot of meter if Magneto dies early?

Marz

2 Bars isn't really a lot of meter though...

also, I dunno why nobody likes Storms alternate....the Butch look is her best outfit imo.

2 Bars isn't really a lot of meter though...

also, I dunno why nobody likes Storms alternate....the Butch look is her best outfit imo.
It is especially not a lot of meter since, with Storm/Doom, you can abuse TAC exchanges to build more.

I like girls to have pretty, long hair. Hence I do not like Storm's alt.

Solune

Yeah you can get more than 1 hail storm off normally with X Factor too, but do you think Storm will have a lot of meter if Magneto dies early?

What are you even talking about, your argument is that Missiles is a terrible assist for Storm. It is virtually a 2X super for almost any point character. X-factor isn't even part of this equation.

A mashed Hail Storm does almost as much damage as a Gamma Crush at max scaling, that's 240k. That's massive damage especially for Storm where her damage cap is around 700k for one bar and usually she can only get Elemental Rage linked in normally.

Vice

What about Storm with Plasma Beam?

No, she needs something that will lock people down for high-low mixups. It also helps combo extension in a way that beam can't. For certain characters like Storm, missiles will let a character break, or get close to, the million damage mark without having to do ridiculously difficult combos.

Zissou

Hmm. Cap(Charging Star)/Nova(Centurian Rush)/Strider(Vajra)?

Does charging star cause a hard knockdown? If so, Running cap second would give nova easy pick ups anytime the assist connected. Then again, I don't know how well cap would function with just vajra assist.

Vice

Does charging star cause a hard knockdown? If so, Running cap second would give nova easy pick ups anytime the assist connected. Then again, I don't know how well cap would function with just vajra assist.

He can get a full combo off of the knockdown. It also works with his cartwheel mixups. It's pretty fun for resets.

CS does cause a hard knockdown.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why do any of you guys want a patch anyway? MvC4 as a launch title for the XBox720/PS4 would make a lot more sense for Capcom and Marvel. 20 new characters, new mechanics to replace the crude TAC and X Factor, a proper interface and a new swag costume for Magneto. Isn't that much better than patching UMvC3?
How does MvC4 as a launch title for next gen consoles even make sense in any context? Why would you think that's likely at all?

mr. puppy

Banned
What are you even talking about, your argument is that Missiles is a terrible assist for Storm. It is virtually a 2X super for almost any point character. X-factor isn't even part of this equation.

A mashed Hail Storm does almost as much damage as a Gamma Crush at max scaling, that's 240k. That's massive damage especially for Storm where her damage cap is around 700k for one bar and usually she can only get Elemental Rage linked in normally.

wow i did not know any of this. time to try out storm for a bit.

okay bad theory team of the day: Strider/Storm/Missiles

is doom really that bad of an anchor? i know people put him there to get the most use out of his assists, but i think sometimes it's over-exaggerated that he's like this terrible anchor character. he seems to get plenty of comebacks and/or reverse ocvs off of xfc throws and connecting with foot dives.

Tobe

Ive been playing around with a Dante/morrigan/doom team Dante is actually great at zoning. Morrigan with meter building assist make DT mode for Dante almost free. Great dhc options. Alpha counter into morrigan if Dante is pinned is good, cancel the meter assist into blades super. Tho in still in doubt to use missiles or beam assist for doom. Cita what do you think of this???

mr. puppy

Banned
Ive been playing around with a Dante/morrigan/doom team Dante is actually great at zoning. Morrigan with meter building assist make DT mode for Dante almost free. Great dhc options. Alpha counter into morrigan if Dante is pinned is good, cancel the meter assist into blades super. Tho in still in doubt to use missiles or beam assist for doom. Cita what do you think of this???

kinda depends which character you want to be stronger I think. I always felt Dante gets a lot more out of beam than missiles, especially b/c Dante has a hard time getting a hit (or at least mine does, maybe I'm just bad with him). Meanwhile, I am just going to assume Morrigan is not great with a beam.....but she has good rushdown from what I've seen so maybe I'm wrong.

LakeEarth

is doom really that bad of an anchor? i know people put him there to get the most use out of his assists, but i think sometimes it's over-exaggerated that he's like this terrible anchor character. he seems to get plenty of comebacks and/or reverse ocvs off of xfc throws and connecting with foot dives.

They aren't talking Haggar levels of horrible, where you have to land 2-3 combos per character for the kill. He just can't deal with good zoning.

Solune

My bad- I thought I remembered God's Beard saying it caused a hard knockdown.

I thought I read in a changelog that it did. Must have meant untechable.
Yah it's untechable, I always get my knockdown states confused. God's Beard said it's a valueable assist because it's one of the few assists that ignores HSD that doesn't use ground bounce / wall bounce.

Like LakeEarth said, it's really hard for him to approach certain matchups, like Dormammu. As long as Dorm has meter, it's a free matchup.

FSLink

Banned
How does MvC4 as a launch title for next gen consoles even make sense in any context? Why would you think that's likely at all?
If anything, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 Wii U would've been more likely than 4 but that isn't happening either. Kind of disappointed they aren't doing that like with the Vita, they could have easily shoehorned a touch controller like with the Vita with the Wii I Gamepad too.

I never trust knockdown properties when I read the changelist/guide. They're so inconsistent with how they describe everything.

It is especially not a lot of meter since, with Storm/Doom, you can abuse TAC exchanges to build more.

I like girls to have pretty, long hair. Hence I do not like Storm's alt.

I'm all about that raven hair/quarter/half/full shaved look.

C86i7.jpg

Frantic

It's alright. Not the best config for the MorriDoom duo, but it's not the worst. Using the meter build, I'd probably try to stay in DT as long as possible and triple jump + fly and throw out the beam or a bunch of Air Plays while calling assists.

mr. puppy

Banned
It's alright. Not the best config for the MorriDoom duo, but it's not the worst. Using the meter build, I'd probably try to stay in DT as long as possible and triple jump + fly and throw out the beam or a bunch of Air Plays while calling assists.

why is it whenever a Dante player turns on devil trigger they just up-back and throw the beam out. It never works, it never hits anything, and its predictable as fuck.

Frantic

why is it whenever a Dante player turns on devil trigger they just up-back and throw the beam out. It never works, it never hits anything, and its predictable as fuck.
It works because it prevents people from pressing forward recklessly and gives Dante a few seconds to breath, not to mention the chip is really good. As for it missing/being predictable, you have to adjust the timing and positioning depending on where the other character is at the time. It's not something you just spam over and over, you have to throw it out at proper timing.

It also works as a pretty well as an offensive tool when using it at a normal jump height since it locks out pushblock.

LakeEarth

Taskmaster teammate needed. I've been using Doom with missiles, but I'm not sure if I like it. Sentinel and Akuma seem like viable candidates. Lockdown seems really good for Taskmaster. Opinions?

Azure J

It works because it prevents people from pressing forward recklessly and gives Dante a few seconds to breath, not to mention the chip is really good. As for it missing/being predictable, you have to adjust the timing and positioning depending on where the other character is at the time. It's not something you just spam over and over, you have to throw it out at proper timing.

It also works as a pretty well as an offensive tool when using it at a normal jump height since it locks out pushblock.

Beat me to it. Also, triple jump flight mode raining lightning while plink dashing about and calling assists is secret busted tier stuff in the neutral.

Azure J

Two things:

Q0Mey.jpg
94uuA.jpg
M2JhZ.jpg

I think I might have to stick with this team because this color setup looks so good in game. I thought Viper's alt fell more on the purple side of things until recently and giving blue Dante a shot with blue Strider made me realize this is great looking all together. Certainly suits a guy with a handle like "AzureJ(ericho)" much better don't ya think? :p

Second thing is, why do I have to re-learn plink/kara dashing every time I play with a new controller? Always feels like I have to spend hours to "get it" all over again. On the plus side though, at least my rapid Seismos aren't screwing up anymore.

Dante, why are you so gooooooood?

Magneto with missiles is so much better but Dante is more fun to play ;_;

I think the biggest reason why I like Dante so much is because it's so easy to freestyle with him. I don't have big setups really. It's very apparent when you see how my Viper is, nothing but stalling with keep out Seismo pressure all day and evasion with Space Jumps like we're fighting Ridley in Super Metroid when faced with zoning while trying to get in and factor it up at current. With Dante though, I feel like his entire game plan is setups so naturally my most fun comes whenever he's on point.

Actually, I should look into some Viper stuff. Gotta level her up more.

Ok, so I'm planning on giving RR/Ammy/Strider another try whenever I get the chance in the future. My question is, what do I do with Ammy after Vajra hits? I remember dropping the team kinda fast because I couldn't make the most of Vajra with Ammy and because my Strider is ass -.-

Alternatively, who'd be another character that compliments the Rocket/Ammy duo?

Azure J

Ok, so I'm planning on giving RR/Ammy/Strider another try whenever I get the chance in the future. My question is, what do I do with Ammy after Vajra hits? I remember dropping the team kinda fast because I couldn't make the most of Vajra with Ammy and because my Strider is ass -.-

Alternatively, who'd be another character that compliments the Rocket/Ammy duo?

Why not try RR/Strider/Ammy? Strider gets one of his BFFs this way, you're still running the Rocket Raccon/Vajra/Cold Shots mold and you get two excellent anchors or a great XF2 duo. Not to mention access to that obnoxious THC.

As someone who tried Ammy/Strider, I say this is better unless it's a team that absolutely cannot DHC into Strider from your point character halfway optimally. At that point, it's best to run Ammy/Strider and build meter for Veil of Mist -> Legion then go nuts with Strider+Shots.

Weird, if you use an assist to pin someone in blockstun then use Dirt Nap, the assist doesn't combo but you're still prevented from using the assist again until the combo is over.

edit: whoo X-23 fuzzy guard setups ^_^

Killa Sasa or any other X-23 players, can you help me with this combo?

LMH xx Hop H, MH xx Dive Kick L, MHS, jMMH xx Dive Kick M, MS, A1(Jam Session), Ankle Slicer, Upper Cut L xx Dive Kick L

It's so hard to get the jMS after the Dive Kick M, but doing Dive Kick L doesn't give me enough time to call Jam Session before the Ankle Slicer. Also, I don't know what a reliable ender would be.

Why not try RR/Strider/Ammy? Strider gets one of his BFFs this way, you're still running the Rocket Raccon/Vajra/Cold Shots mold and you get two excellent anchors or a great XF2 duo. Not to mention access to that obnoxious THC.

As someone who tried Ammy/Strider, I say this is better unless it's a team that absolutely cannot DHC into Strider from your point character halfway optimally. At that point, it's best to run Ammy/Strider and build meter for Veil of Mist -> Legion then go nuts with Strider+Shots.

Well, that's an option I guess. It's a good thing that you can pretty much DHC into/out of anything with Rocket and Ammy >.>

Dark Harmonizer should actually make Devil Trigger meter positive. Alpha counter into Shadow Servant is 2 bars for no damage, though.

What makes Viper so good? Is it her movement or ability to go for high/low mix-ups? Can't one just chicken block until she does something unsafe or push-block to get her off of you?

What makes Viper so good? Is it her movement or ability to go for high/low mix-ups? Can't one just chicken block until she does something unsafe or push-block to get her off of you?
It's really her amazing defensive abilities. A lot of characters have good offense in this game. Very few have any defense aside from winging an invincible hyper. With Focus Attack and dp.S, C. Viper effectively has a Shoryuken that leads to full combos for 1 bar, and she can do it while getting hit. She can plow through anything with qcf.S, and her damage is through the roof. She also has solid screen control.

JeTmAn81

Her throw game is excellent, which would make predictable chicken blocking risky. I think Viper is mostly a threat because of her very good high-low mixup game (tridashes, special move overheads) combined with easy access to invincible EX moves which lead to full combos. Also the aforementioned throw game.

Dahbomb

*Ability to make just about any of her actions safe or relatively safe (her safety level is on par with Dante and Zero). Only her hypers and some EX moves are truly unsafe.

*Can confirm into full combo from both air throws and ground throws.

*Seismo pressure covers large portion of the screen, chaining them makes moving on the ground very hard for a lot of characters. Optic Blast shuts down assist calls and has high durability.

*Up/down dash allows her to do near unreactable high low mix ups.

*Her Burn kick hits over head, crosses up and causes soft knockdown. Another great tool at her disposal.

*Triple jump and Burn Kick feints in the air allows her to stall for time or convert SJ confirms into full damage combo.

*Her Focus Attack has infinite hyper armor, can absorb anything in the game. Can be dash cancelled -> EX move for safety. FA allows her to do TRUE unblockable set ups, an attribute that only a couple of other characters are capable of doing. FA nullifies various mix ups in the game and allows her to counter easily.

*EX Seismo is one of the most powerful tools in the game. Huge hit box in front of her, huge amount of invincibility, converts into FULL BnB and is completely safe. It's completely overpowered. Her other invincible hypers/EX moves usually have some problems with them like safety but not EX Seismo. Jump cancelling makes it not only safe but + on block. No flash before the move makes it impossible to react to.

*High special and normal move scaling values meaning she hits like a truck in almost all situations.

*Thunder Knuckle has projectile nullifying capability and can be cancelled/feinted allowing her to punish otherwise unpunishable projectiles or moves. While it requires execution and impeccable reads to use it, it's a very powerful tool in her arsenal. TK also allows her nullify advance guards.

*One of the most fearsome corner pressure game in Marvel.

It's easier to ask for what her weaknesses are.

You forgot has complete control of the horizontal ground with seismo cancels and the eye beam glitch(AKA to Vergil's round trip glitch). This means she controls the ground portion of the screen better than most characters and makes approaching a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom