• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Zissou

The official UMVC3 pad has the BEST buttons. They use microswitches. If it had a regular dpad, it would be perfect.

versus_pad.jpg

That's cool- I didn't know about that. For fighters, I play on a stick, but I'd love to have a pad for other genres that had microswitches for all the buttons AND the d-pad.

Magneto Thor is deceptively strong with both on beam. Mighty spark can be used for combo extension and EMD can set up either a zoning game with Thor or his rushdown options.

Yeah, people run both beams. Next is an OTG assist to maximize Thor's combos.

Plus, with Mighty Strike and Log Trap I can add a ground bounce and wall bounce to Magneto. Log Trap is one of my top 3 Magneto assists, too.

I just realize Magneto never use a ground or wall bounce. While poor ass Dante has to be careful with his wall bounce, and look for situation to reset his ground bounce just to do decent damage. =(

Dahbomb

I just realize Magneto never use a ground or wall bounce. While poor ass Dante has to be careful with his wall bounce, and look for situation to reset his ground bounce just to do decent damage. =(
Doom doesn't have a wall bounce or a ground bounce either and he does a stupid amount of damage.

Dahbomb

Foot Dive IS a ground bounce...
I know, I mean that in combos he doesn't have to worry about his ground bounce/wall bounce limits. Like if Vergil started his combo with a j.S his combo potential is reduced a bit because he used up his ground bounce early. Such a thing does not bother Doom.

Solune

Vergil needs both ground bounce and wall bounce... well he doesn't really need it but he benefits off it. Especially if you're going to DHC into sword loop in the corner.

That's why they are a good duo I mean, pretty much any character who doesn't use their bounces like Viper, Zero(lol), Magnus, Doom, Spencer etc etc is good with Vergil.

JeTmAn81

Mad Hopper is an install hyper. I'm using attraction with Magneto to drag people into Mighty Strike, which has a much bigger hitbox and causes more hitstun than Lariat while causing less hitstun decay. And Tornado is a way better DHC than anything Haggar has, and Thor is a character I'm fond of using.

Plus, with Mighty Strike and Log Trap I can add a ground bounce and wall bounce to Magneto. Log Trap is one of my top 3 Magneto assists, too.

If Mad Hopper qualifies, then what exactly is supposed to be the meaning of the term "install hyper", and why is it called that? I thought that was only for hypers that actually changed the state of the character.

onionfrog

I know a few people here play Chris, so could someone give me tips for how to play him?
1. What is his neutral game?
2. What can he do against teleporters?

I think I want to use Chris on a side team. Right now I've been trying:
Chris(Gunfire)/Hawkeye(Triple Arrows)/Sentinel(Drones).
{Yellow costumes + mango sentinel for color synergy)

I'm decent enough with Hawkeye and Sentinel.

My Chris combo is something like:
c.m s.h f.h s j. mmhs j. qcf m s.s j.mmhs A2(drones) j. qcf h b.H( Flamethrower.. until first drones hit) xx dp AA.

Any further advice about Chris would be appreciated.

The official UMVC3 pad has the BEST buttons. They use microswitches. If it had a regular dpad, it would be perfect.

versus_pad.jpg
Agreed, I have one of these(but plain black instead of umvc3 themed), and all I can say is I wish it had a real d-pad.

I hate my fightstick. The joystick is too loose and I mess up more combos than on my vita.

I was on a 17 streak on vita (which is more like 25 with the rage quitters) and lost to stupid Strider.

Why do I feel like there are more fraudulent Striders than Vergils?

LakeEarth

If Mad Hopper qualifies, then what exactly is supposed to be the meaning of the term "install hyper", and why is it called that? I thought that was only for hypers that actually changed the state of the character.

Yeah, I believe Mad Hopper qualifies as a summon hyper, like HSF or Hail Storm.

Ohnonono

I hate my fightstick. The joystick is too loose and I mess up more combos than on my vita.

I was on a 17 streak on vita (which is more like 25 with the rage quitters) and lost to stupid Strider.

Why do I feel like there are more fraudulent Striders than Vergils?

The Vita D-pad was crafted by an enlightened god.

LakeEarth

PS+ added SF4, and so I've been trying to revert to a pad to play it (since my stick is for the 360). Every time I screw up an input, I look to my arcade stick longingly.

FSLink

Banned
Man GAF sure has a shit ton of pad user. EWWWWWW
Not sure if you're serious. I mainly use stick but I can use pad for most characters. Doesn't matter what you use if you are comfortable. I'd actually consider using Vita controller mode if it had a L2 and R2. That DPad is amazing.

onionfrog

Man GAF sure has a shit ton of pad user. EWWWWWW
C'mon son. Don't discriminate!

I'm not gonna drop $100+ on a damn accessory.
My thoughts exactly.
I could buy several games instead.

I'd actually consider using Vita controller mode if it had a L2 and R2. That DPad is amazing.
Is the vita's Dpad much different from the regular ps3 controller's?
I think that the PS3's Dpad is actually pretty good, a hell of alot better than x360's anyways.

lol i bet you play on a console, scrub. get on my level and meet me at next level or one of the 3 arcades left on the us, kid. imma body that shit.

Hey now I spent 1998-2004 in arcades. Now my fault they died and rebuilt the place with a mega mall!

The last "arcade" or anything resemble it that I been to in the last 10ish years is Insert Coins. =(

You suck.

I've played on stick approximately 3 times.

You suck almost as bad as Beef, but you like the Rock so you're okay

Sticks are so fun to use! I think it's worth the money.

You're awesome!

Not sure if you're serious. I mainly use stick but I can use pad for most characters. Doesn't matter what you use if you are comfortable. I'd actually consider using Vita controller mode if it had a L2 and R2. That DPad is amazing.

I'm never serious... unless I use CAPS CAPS CAPS.

I don't discriminate unless you're Beef or Enzo. They are the exception...

There's one thing that make stick awesome and this is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkBDZ8Davvg

bro, can you even lift a stick

Clearly you didn't give them enough business because they would still be alive if you did.

You have no clue how many quarters I spent to end up eating AHVB x3. During peak hours the MVC2 line was literally like 45 minute to 1 hour wait if you lost 1 fucking match.

Basically play marvel 2... get bopped (AHVB). Go to DDR machine (which is like an 30 minutes to hour wait after your turn as well). Play 1 time (3songs). Now I still gotta wait another 15 to 30 mins for Marvel 2.

Go over to either the Rush2049 machine or CVS2 to kill 15 minutes. I would go to the Tekken machine.. but that was like another 20 minute wait... (Sad part was the tekken player there were lazy... so half the time it was scrubs. I could of ran through all of them, but I rather eat AHVB in Marvel 2).

So yea.. don't blame me for not spending money when I COULDN'T EVEN if I wanted to cause everything was so full.

You have no clue how many quarters I spent to end up eating AHVB x3. During peak hours the MVC2 line was literally like 45 minute to 1 hour wait if you lost 1 fucking match.

Basically play marvel 2... get bopped (AHVB). Go to DDR machine (which is like an 30 minutes to hour wait after your turn as well). Play 1 time (3songs). Now I still gotta wait another 15 to 30 mins for Marvel 2.

Go over to either the Rush2049 machine or CVS2 to kill 15 minutes. I would go to the Tekken machine.. but that was like another 20 minute wait... (Sad part was the tekken player there were lazy... so half the time it was scrubs. I could of ran through all of them, but I rather eat AHVB in Marvel 2).

So yea.. don't blame me for not spending money when I COULDN'T EVEN if I wanted to cause everything was so full.

NO EXCUSES. You should've sold your house to keep them afloat, but you didn't do your part.

You sicken me.

First time I played on stick was at comic con playing Marvel 3.

I kept on jumping cause I couldn't control the stick

dick joke

Ahhh jumping up and down on sticks. I see how you roll!

NO EXCUSES. You should've sold your house to keep them afloat, but you didn't do your part.

You sicken me.

What house? I WAS A TEENAGER!

P.S I use pad for Tekken... well I can use both. Just Tekken is much easier since it's you know... 4 buttons.

Ohnonono

My thoughts exactly.
I could buy several games instead.

Is the vita's Dpad much different from the regular ps3 controller's?
I think that the PS3's Dpad is actually pretty good, a hell of alot better than x360's anyways.

The Vita's D pad is all clicky and wonderful. Makes it hard to use the PS3 controller when I have to.

JeTmAn81

If you're that into Marvel or fighting games in general, then a fight stick is way more than that. Calling a fight stick an accessory is like calling a musician's guitar an accessory. For me, it makes playing Marvel much, much easier. I started on pad and played long enough that I knew I would be in it for the long haul before switching to stick. If you're already used to pad play then you probably don't see a reason to switch, but if you're starting from scratch a stick can make learning the game a whole lot easier. Sticks will probably always be superior when it comes to certain things such as plinking, as well.

Anth0ny

I think a 360 stick is more than worth it if you're into fighting games. Not only do I use it for Marvel/SF, but a ton of XBLA games as well.

Not to mention I can plug that son bitch in my PC and use it for a fuck load of other games.

Love my stick <3

Is there any pad KOF players? Is that even possible? It should be right? It's only 4 buttons!!! But them motions... like how? How the fuck is that even possible on a pad?

Unless you're playing a character that uses the fucking pretzel motion or are playing an old school SNK game, KoF's motions aren't hard on anything really.

I said TKs are inconsistent. Most KOF motions are just an extra quarter-circle on top of a half-circle. It ain't rocket science.

Doesn't that shit burn your thumb though?

Unless you're playing a character that uses the fucking pretzel motion or are playing an old school SNK game, KoF's motions aren't hard on anything really.

I don't know I went into trial mode look at that shit and thought I was back in math class or something. Maybe all these years of Capcom/Namco fuck me up too much.

I don't know I went into trial mode look at that shit and thought I was back in math class or something. Maybe all these years of Capcom/Namco fuck me up too much.

Roll your thumb forwards
Roll your thumb forwards twice
Roll your thumb backwards
Roll your thumb forwards and then backwards
Roll your thumb backwards and then forwards
Roll your thumb from one direction to another
Roll your thumb from one direction to another twice
Dragon punch
Reverse dragon punch

I'm honestly not seeing anything too complicated (the shorcuts are another story though).

Roll your thumb forwards
Roll your thumb forwards twice
Roll your thumb backwards
Roll your thumb forwards and then backwards
Roll your thumb backwards and then forwards
Roll your thumb from one direction to another
Roll your thumb from one direction to another twice
Dragon punch
Reverse dragon punch

I'm honestly not seeing anything too complicated (the shorcuts are another story though).

That's a lot of thumb action man. When I used to play tekken on pad the skin on my thumb be peeling off and shit. That's why I was like woah at people playing kof on pad. So much thumb action (go for the sex joke panda).

I know a few people here play Chris, so could someone give me tips for how to play him?
1. What is his neutral game?
2. What can he do against teleporters?

I think I want to use Chris on a side team. Right now I've been trying:
Chris(Gunfire)/Hawkeye(Triple Arrows)/Sentinel(Drones).
{Yellow costumes + mango sentinel for color synergy)

I'm decent enough with Hawkeye and Sentinel.

My Chris combo is something like:
c.m s.h f.h s j. mmhs j. qcf m s.s j.mmhs A2(drones) j. qcf h b.H( Flamethrower.. until first drones hit) xx dp AA.

Any further advice about Chris would be appreciated.

His move were he lays on the ground is good against teleporters. If someone teleports behind him, don't quote me on this, he automatically recovers to a stance so he can grab them. I remember some of this since the guide made a joke about Phoenix getting her neck broken by Chris. :p

Good games Beef. Your Viewtiful Joe wiped the floor with me. I never really have to deal with that before. I kept getting touched by Joe and that would lead to a leveld up frank.

Top Bottom