• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What was I doing 2 years ago?

I went over to a friend's house the day after cause he got the game. I remember winning a lot against everyone cause I did TACs for longer combos and stuff.

Then later that night stayed up way too fucking late watching Justin Wong fuck up all the Sentinels with Wolverine at WNF. That's when I said "well now I need this game".

Dahbomb

Early Vanilla Marvel WNFs was some of the best FG streaming ever.

The funny part about it is that everyone was exposed to Morrigan AV shenanigans day 1 when ClakyD debuted his all girls team. We have come full circle.

JeTmAn81

Anybody remember Team ASS? Arthur/Storm/Sentinel was supposed to be some hardcore broken zoning. The weekend before release, Marn and NerdJosh played some epic pre-release matches. I had no idea who either of those guys was at the time.

I got the game like three days early thanks to an now non-friend able to sell me a copy at his Gamestop early due to some place a town or two over selling it early.

My first streaming experience was Winter Brawl, and I distinctly remember my first thing seeing on the stream was Chris Hu watching Marvel and talking about "American Captain". It was so strange and yet I was instantly hooked.

It's been a good two years thus far, Marvel 3.

onionfrog

OH GOD I'VE BEEN PLAYING THIS GAME FOR 2 YEARS
Same here too. I remember getting up early and going to get my copy first thing in the morning and going over to my friends house to play it all day.
I wish we had replays in vanilla, it would've been hilarious to see how bad I was back when it first came out.

I remember my first team was spencer/haggar/akuma. And I thought jumping diagonal grapples with spencer were the best thing since sliced bread. (J.qcf m -> qcf m was godlike)

Then figuring out how to use otg assists to extend combos and thinking that it was the best assist ever. (Wesker was on almost every team I played in the early days of vanilla)

Hahaha! I was especially bad at the game back then.

Man I wish we'd get another version of this game! It's been long enough to stop most people's complaints about capcom just milking it right?

I got the game like three days early thanks to an now non-friend able to sell me a copy at his Gamestop early due to some place a town or two over selling it early.
I was Sooo jealous of all the people online who got early copies! Same thing with ultimate as well.

Same here too. I remember getting up early and going to get my copy first thing in the morning and going over to my friends house to play it all day.
I wish we had replays in vanilla, it would've been hilarious to see how bad I was back when it first came out.

I remember my first team was spencer/haggar/akuma. And I thought jumping diagonal grapples with spencer were the best thing since sliced bread. (J.qcf m -> qcf m was godlike)

Then figuring out how to use otg assists to extend combos and thinking that it was the best assist ever. (Wesker was on almost every team I played in the early days of vanilla)

Hahaha! I was especially bad at the game back then.

Man I wish we'd get another version of this game! It's been long enough to stop most people's complaints about capcom just milking it right?

Probably not, considering its, you know, Capcom.

I was Sooo jealous of all the people online who got early copies! Same thing with ultimate as well.

Haha, I got an early copy of Ultimate too! Too bad I had to wait like three or four days before I could get all that information from the Ultimate Marvel 3 Bible.

onionfrog

Probably not, considering its, you know, Capcom.
I know. :(
I don't expect anything to be forthcoming.
And people would bitch about it no matter what.

I want to be as hype for something as I was for marvel before release. Maybe when they actually show something for Super Smash Bros Wii U.

Two years ago I was running too fast out the door to get my review copy when I got the delivery notice.

1360904678990ddujr.gif

JeTmAn81

I think you did it to me, too. Maybe not, but was a Strider throw that made me go "ARGH" during our set :).

Maybe it was against you. Then again Vergil is on everybody's team now so maybe not. Heh, during our set I kept in snapping in Vergil until I realized that the characters you have been playing way longer are a much bigger threat. I shudder to think of your team after your Vergil gets leveled up even more. I wanted to keep playing BTW, but had to go do something :(

Bizazedo

Maybe it was against you. Then again Vergil is on everybody's team now so maybe not. Heh, during our set I kept in snapping in Vergil until I realized that the characters you have been playing way longer are a much bigger threat. I shudder to think of your team after your Vergil gets leveled up even more. I wanted to keep playing BTW, but had to go do something :(

Yeah, I hate saying this because it sounds arrogant, but when you'd snap out Nova for Vergil I was literally LOL'ng and going "Sounds good!"

It helps that Nova's a menace in level 3 x-factor. I know most people are, but he can kill so fast in level 3 that he can easily run through a team.

My Vergil is garbage. I've been distracted by work and Warcraft, but I need to level him up badly. I just can't wrap my mind around YOLO playstyles, though. Yes, I know I play Zero, but I don't YOLO with him :(.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I remember not caring about the game at all except when it was first announced and the day it came out. I try not to get involved in hype trains.

Azure J

Anybody remember Team ASS? Arthur/Storm/Sentinel was supposed to be some hardcore broken zoning. The weekend before release, Marn and NerdJosh played some epic pre-release matches. I had no idea who either of those guys was at the time.

Oh God this was so awesome for a new guy like me. Seeing Zero put blade in ass after Nerdjosh's patented ASS team had some absurd win streak online was fucking hilarious.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, I hate saying this because it sounds arrogant, but when you'd snap out Nova for Vergil I was literally LOL'ng and going "Sounds good!"

It helps that Nova's a menace in level 3 x-factor. I know most people are, but he can kill so fast in level 3 that he can easily run through a team.

My Vergil is garbage. I've been distracted by work and Warcraft, but I need to level him up badly. I just can't wrap my mind around YOLO playstyles, though. Yes, I know I play Zero, but I don't YOLO with him :(.

Nah, it's not arrogant to feel better about playing characters you are better with. That was just an example of me playing against the characters rather than the person. All things being equal, anchor Vergil is the character I'm most afraid of on that team. But of course it always takes time to get up to speed with a new character. I really need to practice more against Zero because I am totally ass at blocking him/following his crazy movement. Also, I need to respect the random Nova hyper...

Bizazedo

I really need to practice more against Zero because I am totally ass at blocking him/following his crazy movement. Also, I need to respect the random Nova hyper...

Hahaha..

In my mind it's not random :). If you record those matches, there are set positions of your characters or assist calls that trigger me to do it on reflex. I.e., you're never standing right next to me.

Either that OR I am jumping into the air and going for a 50/50 mixup on you (which there is a way to stop, just jump up with me to prevent me being able to 50/50 you. It's only 50/50 if you stay on the ground).

It is most definitely a bullshit hyper, though. Great for dealing with swords and level 3 Ouroboros, though.

I definitely want to play more, though. All of your team combinations are what I need to work on :(.

Striiiiderrrrrrr!!!

LakeEarth

I remember that. Then the epic WNF came in with Justin destroying everyone, Marn was asked about his complete destruction, and he goes "I've been playing this game wrong".

JeTmAn81

Hahaha..

In my mind it's not random :). If you record those matches, there are set positions of your characters or assist calls that trigger me to do it on reflex. I.e., you're never standing right next to me.

Either that OR I am jumping into the air and going for a 50/50 mixup on you (which there is a way to stop, just jump up with me to prevent me being able to 50/50 you. It's only 50/50 if you stay on the ground).

It is most definitely a bullshit hyper, though. Great for dealing with swords and level 3 Ouroboros, though.

I definitely want to play more, though. All of your team combinations are what I need to work on :(.

Striiiiderrrrrrr!!!

Yeah, it just feels random to me. Mostly because other Novas I've played don't just go right into a hyper like that. But that's a general matchup thing for me, trying to remember each character's options, especially the ones that are not often used but can still be potent in the right situation.

Have you ever tried picking up Strider? He's a great anchor, really would help against other Zeroes, and is nuts combined with a point Zero. Marn's Zero/Strider team makes Zero's incoming mixups look extra broken.

Bizazedo

Yeah, it just feels random to me. Mostly because other Novas I've played don't just go right into a hyper like that. But that's a general matchup thing for me, trying to remember each character's options, especially the ones that are not often used but can still be potent in the right situation.

Have you ever tried picking up Strider? He's a great anchor, really would help against other Zeroes, and is nuts combined with a point Zero. Marn's Zero/Strider team makes Zero's incoming mixups look extra broken.

Well, all my posturing aside, although it's triggered by where I am and where you are, it is still a guess on my part. Sometimes reaction, sometimes a "He'll breathe right...NOW". So the random feel isn't unwarranted.

As for Strider..funny you mention it. I've been heavily debating Wesker / Nova / Strider.

JeTmAn81

Well, all my posturing aside, although it's triggered by where I am and where you are, it is still a guess on my part. Sometimes reaction, sometimes a "He'll breathe right...NOW". So the random feel isn't unwarranted.

As for Strider..funny you mention it. I've been heavily debating Wesker / Nova / Strider.

That would be good for a Wesker point team (Strider is probably my favorite assist for Wesker, same goes for Dante), but you've put so much work into your Zero (even valiant attempts at online lightning loops now!) that I think you would get more out of Strider on a Zero team. It just takes some strict discipline with maintaining your charge for the pickup off a Vajra hit.

my vanilla teams:
release - spencer/hulk/iron man (fucking lol)
ryu/hulk/spencer
taskmaster/ryu/spencer
spencer/hulk/ryu
i think i finally settled with spencer/hulk/sentinel
i remember spencer and hulk had a ridiculous dhc-glitch setup from a japanese player
--bionic maneuvers then dhc into gamma wave when spencer lifts his opponent high into the air (i think this was before the last 2-3 hits of maneuvers), gamma wave whiffs and you can continue the combo with cr.H into S from hulk for big time damage.

Nert

I've had such a great time with both MvC3 and UMvC3 these past two years. My first team that I was dedicated to learning was Viewtiful Joe/M.O.D.O.K./Amaterasu. There is little to no synergy there, but I just loved all of the characters. I rewatched some of the character reveal trailers dozens of times...

JeTmAn81

I think my main vanilla team was probably Dante/Taskmaster/Sentinel. Not a bad team, really. I did switch over to Tron for a while around the time of the NeoGAF tournament, due to getting bopped by Ultimoo one too many times.

Bizazedo

My vanilla team was Zero / Hulk / Wesker from day one. Such an enjoyable team. Split a 6 game series against Marlinpie with that team, 3 wins 3 losses.

Obviously, we knew nothing back then compared to now, though.

Frantic

I was unfortunately saddled with Capcom's store not shipping on time during vanilla's release, so it's not quite two years for me. :p

Close enough though. I remember first playing this game and struggling with shit like DPs and not knowing what the hell I was doing besides pushing buttons and getting ABC combos. Now I'm not half bad at this game!

TWILT

Banned
I still love Marvel, even if it does drive me crazy at times. I remember my first team being Dante/Amaterasu/Chun-Li. Man, back then, I had trouble doing the basic relaunch Dante combo lol. Poor Chun-Li, I replaced her with Wesker after a couple months or so. I wish she was better and didn't require me to work my hands off.

Azure J

If I had played this game from Vanilla, I get the feeling that Viper/Dante/Ammy or Zero/Dante/Phoenix might have become my main team over time.

Sigmaah

I remember getting so hyped for this game before release, bought a fight stick and played some mvc2 to prepare myself (didn't help for shit lmao) then I got vanilla 5 days early and started playing Zero/X-23/Sentinel then I stuck with Zero/Task/Sent for a long time. Been playing Zero for 2 years now, 8 more to go!

Zero seems like the only character I wanna stick with because of how much I like the character/MMX series. Wish there were other characters I loved as much as him in this game so I could have a set team no matter what. GIVE ME MMX OR SIGMA GOD DAMNIT CAPCOM DA FUQ BRO.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
LOL

I like how Proton Cannon is so shitty and slow that I can accidentally throw out a cr. H and beat it out.

Its not "slow" its just not a real beam hyper. If you don't hit with the actual "cannon" part of it you don't hit the hyper, the exception being a DHC into Iron Man. Proton Cannon is a really shitty super, but if you use the THC version it becomes a massive 1 frame reversal that is way more effective at stopping incoming character mixups from the opponent (and happy birthdaying them if you have X Factor and they called an assist) than it should be.

My vanilla team was Magneto Storm Tron (gustaff fire). I did anything to try and recreate the MSP experience from mvc2. I ended up settling with Mag/Task/Akuma

Played UMVC3 for the first time today in like 3 weeks, and my execution with every character got a little bit better except for Zero.

FML... god is trolling me. I was even dropping loops on the 1p side! This game is going to make me kill someone. Either that or I'm adopting Spencer, Doom, Sentinel full time now. Good bye little robot, good bye son of spardas.

Top Bottom