• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Zissou

There's some weird psychology in Marvel where people think certain fireballs(like Firebrand or Morrigan) have higher durability than most, but they don't at all. Still 5 like most everything. Nemesis' rocket actually has the lowest durability in the game at 1 point. There are very, very few single-hit projectiles worth worrying about as far as durability goes. Pretty much just Magnum and Gold Arthur stuff.

Some stuff has weird properties though, like how the burst of Phoenix's fireballs also has durability, so I can see how people can get confused.

There's some weird psychology in Marvel where people think certain fireballs(like Firebrand or Morrigan) have higher durability than most, but they don't at all. Still 5 like most everything. Nemesis' rocket actually has the lowest durability in the game at 1 point. There are very, very few single-hit projectiles worth worrying about as far as durability goes. Pretty much just Magnum and Gold Arthur stuff.

And piercing bolt or whatever it's called that Hawkeye has. That sumbitch goes through everything.

I need to stop playing this game....today was very very irritating.

Dahbomb

IIRC having more durability packed in less hits is better than durability spread over multiple hits.

IIRC having more durability packed in less hits is better than durability spread over multiple hits.

Maybe, but there are very, very few single-hit projectiles that actually override multi-hit ones. There's some weird stuff going on with beams vs certain projectiles, but what else is new. Beams are weird.

edit: Speaking of which, I would nerf EMD L to 1 durability for the Vanilla frame data back.

Frantic

Random tech: Dante can fuzzy guard Magneto, Dormammu, Doom, Skrull, MODOK, Sent, Nemesis, Hulk, Nova, Strange, Haggar, Wesker and Vergil with j.M. Vergil, Skrull and Wesker are a bit weird to hit, but it does work on them. Needs an assist to set up, though.

Azure J

Weird, I thought I posted a reply to this already...

This thread slowed the fuck down after Karst got banned, goddamn.

More like as soon as I could no longer access the salt mines since I ran out of Gold again. :(

I'm going FreeSN next gen. I'm too poverty monster for this shit. :lol

I've still been playing on the regular. A bit less than normal due to online latency getting more and more noticable to me as my execution gets better, to the point where I literally cannot do half the things I attempt to do. >_>

I'm also actually working on that Dante guide I started. I've made it even more comprehensive than before, so it eats up a fair share of my free time. It's been more fun making it than the last time, though.

I pretty much just lab monster and attempt to keep my execution sharp then get into fits of "am I getting old?/fuck this shit/why baby Jesus why" when I can't do Rapid Seismos again for the nth time. :lol

As for the spoiler text, hype. I hope you incorporate some of the tech we share here into it. You people are far more talented at video editing than I am/can be with this ancient ass desktop. :p

Random tech: Dante can fuzzy guard Magneto, Dormammu, Doom, Skrull, MODOK, Sent, Nemesis, Hulk, Nova, Strange, Haggar, Wesker and Vergil with j.M. Vergil, Skrull and Wesker are a bit weird to hit, but it does work on them. Needs an assist to set up, though.

You don't say...

Frantic

I pretty much just lab monster and attempt to keep my execution sharp then get into fits of "am I getting old?/fuck this shit/why baby Jesus why" when I can't do Rapid Seismos again for the nth time. :lol
For a while, I was thinking I was out of practice with empty cancel Weasel Shot since I couldn't hit it once online. Then I went into Training Mode and hit it like ten times in a row and went 'lol online'.

Hell, I somehow became somewhat consistent with Volcano > j.S in training mode when I didn't even practice it for months. It's weird, man. The less I practice, the better I get at something.

As for the spoiler text, hype. I hope you incorporate some of the tech we share here into it. You people are far more talented at video editing than I am/can be with this ancient ass desktop. :p
I plan to pool every little bit of information I know about Dante into the guide in some capacity. I might not be the best Dante player out there, but I know just about every little bit of tech Dante has. Hell, I came up with some of it, so that has to count for something! :p

You don't say...
I've known about it for a few months, but never mentioned it lol. It's a pretty finnicky fuzzy guard, and it's not all that fast... but it's a fuzzy-guard. It'll open people up. :p

It does make me wish I could run Dante/Jam Session/Strider though. Dante + Jam Session would be soooo good for lockdown/pressure/mixups/setups/etc.

Booter

was anyone watching pr balrog's stream last night? he was playing

arthur (bottle) / morrigan / vergil

once he got arthur armored up, he would tag him out and put in morrigan with the soru fistu spam. the powered-up bottle assist was stopping anyone from getting in on the ground, shit was real.

His team was pretty fraudulent. He spams soul fist and doesn't really react to his opponent as much as just spamming fly/unfly

He had to rely way too much on vergil

Anth0ny

was anyone watching pr balrog's stream last night? he was playing

arthur (bottle) / morrigan / vergil

once he got arthur armored up, he would tag him out and put in morrigan with the soru fistu spam. the powered-up bottle assist was stopping anyone from getting in on the ground, shit was real.

yeah I saw that

bottle assist spam was hilarious

still think doom is a better fit as the assist for that team, though

Gold Bottle is the best arthur assist. Literally the first thing I did when I played Vanilla at the pre-release tournament was pick Arthur just for that tag out.

For the few Wright players we have on here, When "Get em Missile!" assist is used, does Missile disappear when Phoenix is hit, or does Missile still hit low?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It does my ego well to get so much praise on how good I am in this game even though I'm playing on a 360 pad and can't do half my shit.

Why yes I am Justin Wong's younger brother

ahahaha

Solune

Hmm Dr.Strange/Viper is a pretty hot duo kind of like Doom(beam)/Viper. Need to invest time into these characters anyways but getting FoF loops after Burst Time is super easy.

Minah

Neo Member
Just bought the game, I can't seem to find any matches on XBL. Is ranked completely dead? Should I just go back to AE?

Or is the community on PSN instead?

Just bought the game, I can't seem to find any matches on XBL. Is ranked completely dead? Should I just go back to AE?

Or is the community on PSN instead?

I have no problem finding matches, but I don't play ranked. I just go to arcade mode or training and set it to find a player match while I'm playing. You're probably better off owning both though....if you've got the 15-20 bucks to spare.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why sometimes when you hit someone that's been knocked down with freeze shot they don't bounce?

Solune

Freeze shot doesn't ground bounce if OTG late, something to do with the state the opponent is in. If you're midscreen I'd use Fwd+M instead to relaunch.

I guess the same thing goes for Raccoon and his bear trap?

Can anyone make a suggestion for defense against rapid slash (point, not assist)? Lately I've just kinda been holding up back and hope it misses and I can land on him for an attack. It's worked out alright, but I'm just wondering if anyone has better solutions. There is no move I hate more than rapid slash....well maybe everything Captain America does. Easy way to beat me....pick Cap and have an awesome THC. Cap is the solution to beating every team I play. Fuck that guy.

Vice

I guess the same thing goes for Raccoon and his bear trap?

Can anyone make a suggestion for defense against rapid slash (point, not assist)? Lately I've just kinda been holding up back and hope it misses and I can land on him for an attack. It's worked out alright, but I'm just wondering if anyone has better solutions. There is no move I hate more than rapid slash....well maybe everything Captain America does. Easy way to beat me....pick Cap and have an awesome THC. Cap is the solution to beating every team I play. Fuck that guy.

You can hit or throw Vergil out of it. You can also just block it, you just have to switch directions when it crosses over you. IIRC, you may be able to just hold forward the entire time.

Yeah blocking it is no good for me. I always feel like I switch directions in time, but apparently I don't. I think I'm just gonna spend an hour in the lab trying to go over different scenarios.

Naked rapid slashes isn't too bad to block but when a good Vergil mixes it into his combos and at different intervals it is one of the single hardest solo character attacks to block.

smurfx

get some go again
Chris matrix said on bc that anybody can get out of the haggar corner reset. Kinda want to know if its true
i know if you time your L's correctly you can hit him out of it with task and hawkeye. i didn't have luck getting out of it with haggar though. also its best if you stay neutral when he taps you to get you into his reset. moving forward and back makes it harder for you to land a hit.

Zissou

I play a lot of teams but most of the time it's one of the following 3: Chris/Spencer/Sentinel, Wolverine/Morrigan/Doom, or Doom/Dorm/Sentinel

I've found that characters with even kind of shitty normals can hit him out of it, so if the Vergil player is bad enough that they're just randomly chucking it out there, I try to hit him out of it. It's obviously risky though- best if your character has a good standing H so you can option select the throw. Slasher is right though, good Vergils who mix it into their blockstrings are a pain to deal with. At least you use spencer so you can keep him honest with dat arm. Wolverine does well against Vergil too. Doom can stay in the air all day, but be wary of teleports/helmbreaker.

Little shit like this makes me appreciate the hell out of this game (and hypes the Marvel character nerd in me):

Marvel Old Man Logan Wiki Page said:
This universe/event was mentioned in a joke in the video game Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. After Hawkeye defeats Wolverine, he says "You fight like an old man, Logan" as a reference in which Wolverine, becoming a pacifist after
all villains teamed up to kill most heroes
, is brought back into action by an older, blinded Hawkeye.

Knew about the book, but just put the line together recently. Character specific stuff in this game is da bess. Spoilers for an old but pretty dope book, and I hate Wolverine.

Heheheh, back to my old Wesker/Spencer/Magneto team right now. Got a new guard break with Slant Shot. You can command grab people during blockstun if the assist makes contact at the same time as the grab. So you can do Viscant's dash up short, command grab and they can't hold up any more.

Azure J

Can someone explain to me how one's execution can be so wildy inconsistent in between games? One day, I'm struggling with Rapid Seismos (as usual), the next instant, I can do long Seismo - FADC - Seismo chains at a fast pace.

Also, anyone know where I can grab some Live time? I wanna play you all more.

JeTmAn81

Happy Marvelversary everybody! Two years ago today, MvC3 was released. Let's party!

Marvel+vs+Capcom+3+Comic+Con+Party+iZsDK0KpbW7l.jpg

Two years already. Wow...

That's crazy.

To think in two years I went from air piping with Haggar in Vanilla to playing something completely different in Ultimate.

Here's to 8 more years!
Hopefully we get an update of some kind I want more characters

Zissou

Amazing that even after two years and playing the same team since ultimate came out, I can say "I'm going into the lab and I'm going to try to find new shit for my team" and almost one hundred percent of the time, I do. Despite all the bullshit, what a great fucking game.

Top Bottom